InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Imperceptible ❯ Revision ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do hereby disclaim all rights and responsibilities for the characters in this drabble… especially for the taiyoukai who finally gives us a peek at what goes on behind that implacable façade. A nod of recognition is bent toward Rumiko Takahashi for her creative prowess.
 
This drabble was originally posted to Live Journal on June 13, 2007.
 
oOo
 
Revision
 
He'd always walked his own path, guided by his own principles. A strong leader is self-assured, self-reliant, self-regulated. Rule over your passions or they'll be your downfall. Guard against those who attempt to influence you, to use you, to change you. Be confident in your right to take what you want, keep what's yours, do as you please. These were his proverbs—the sum of his wisdom, the lessons of a lifetime, the marks of success. And yet…
 
Sesshoumaru's contemplative gaze drifted to where Rin slept curled in the miko's arms, their dark hair tumbled together. What to do? The simplest answer echoed back through his mind. Do as you please. And yet… If his own impulses were to stand as testimony to his indomitable nature, how did one account for the nagging repercussions? If his very choices were meant to confirm his immutability, what happened when those decisions introduced change? He could feel the ripples already, ebbing across his unruffled existence.
 
He was here because it served his purposes, but those damnable consequences had begun. Holding his hand up to the starlight, Sesshoumaru permitted the barest glow to film its contours. Concessions, exceptions, allowances, consideration—didn't they add up to influence over his person? Guard against those who attempt to influence you. And yet… This alliance afforded unexpected opportunities. Wouldn't it be in his best interest to revise his plans to accommodate the glimpse of the future he had been granted? Wasn't change permissible if it suited his ends?
 
oOo
 
End Note: This drabble was written for the Live Journal community ebony(underscore)silks' contest for Week 7—Solitary Theme. 250 words. Incidentally, if you've noticed, this community's challenges alternate between drabble-length entries (250 word maximum) and oneshot entries (250 word minimum).