InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In My Secret Heart ❯ Identity Revealed ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: To all those flamers out there, to quote Queen Clu “I KEEL YOU!”
 
Hello peoples! As usual, I have nothing to say! Except that my dog Lucy is licking the wall…not the sharpest crayon in the box…
 
Quote of the Chapter:
 
“The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration. - Pearl S. Buck
 
Identity Revealed
 
Kagome arrived back at the mansion with a bucket full of water, as she was supposedly what she had left for. In the commotion she had almost forgotten it, though she couldn't use that excuse again, Koga may get suspicious. Kagome dropped by Priestess Kaede's after leaving the water with the lower slaves. Luckily, Kaede was by herself. Kagome didn't want to have to whisper around any nosy maids or nurses. Upon her arrival Kaede looked up from the mortar and pestle, she was currently grinding some reddish mineral.
 
“Kagome? I just saw ye yesterday.”
 
Kagome nodded and flopped down beside Kaede. It was true, when she was younger Kagome had come to Kaede's house every day, but as she became older, Koga had her so busy she could barely come once a week. Kaede had always been like a mother to Sango and Kagome; it pained Kagome to not be able to see her more often.
 
“Kaede, I went into the garden last night,” Kagome paused, waiting for the gentle scolding Kaede was sure to give.
 
“What were ye doing out in such a cold rain? You could have caught a death,” Kaede impulsively reached a hand up to feel Kagome's forehead.
 
Kagome gently removed Kaede's hand, “I'm fine, but that's not why I came here. I saw something last night, something…evil.”
 
Kaede's pleasantly aged face turned solemn, “What do ye mean?”
 
Kagome looked out the small hut's window, “There was…a thing, made of darkness, it scared me,” Kagome turned back to Kaede, “It was so strong, I can't believe I purified it.”
 
Kaede had a mildly surprised look on her face, “Ye purified it? Pure evil?”
 
Kagome shrugged slightly, “It wasn't very smart, just fast and strong. I don't think it knew I had spiritual powers.”
 
Kaede nodded, “Perhaps I should train ye, there are still a few tricks up these old sleeves.”
 
Kagome smiled grimly at Kaede, “You know I'd love to, but between Koga and my chores and-”
 
Kagome stopped herself. She had almost mentioned the boy. She trusted Kaede whole-heartedly, but if Koga got wind of this and thought Kaede had anything to do with it, well, let's just say he wouldn't be as lenient as he would be to the non-miko slaves.
 
“-and…?” Kaede prompted.
 
“And my garden!” Kagome finished quickly, “You know how much I hate to trust its care to clumsy gardeners.”
 
Kaede seemed a bit doubtful but accepted Kagome's answer anyway, “Ye and that garden, mark my words it'll be the end of ye.”
 
“Priestess Kaede?”
 
Both miko and would-be apprentice turned to the doorway. Sango pushed back the straw mat curtain that covered the entrance to the side.
 
“Ah Sango, I have the remedy for Ginta's…problem.”
 
Sango giggled behind an upraised hand, “You might as well say it Kaede, it's about time he got a taste of his own medicine.”
 
Kagome looked expectantly at Sango, “What'd wrong with him.”
 
Kaede returned to her mortar and pestle, “The poor thing has a pesky case of diarrhea.”
 
Kagome started laughing hysterically, “Ginta? The Alfa male wannabe? That's too perfect.”
 
Kaede ground the crimson minerals into a fine powder, “It's not exactly a humorous topic.”
 
Sango waved her hand as if to push the imaginary concern away, “It's just a case of the runs, nothing your homemade medicine can't cure.”
 
Kaede smiled down at her work, “Aye, but ye both best quite you flattery and be off.”
 
Kagome nodded, recovering from her giggle session, “I guess so, Koga gets more possessive by the day.”
 
Sango sighed, “I suppose. Stupid wolf ruins everything.”
 
~*~*~*~
 
“Kagome, you're late.”
 
Kagome bowed respectfully onto all fours, her head just a tad higher than slaves were allowed. Koga's voice sounded annoyed, almost accusing. Kagome reasoned that submission was the best course of action.
 
“I'm truly sorry, Lord Koga,” Kagome honey-coated her voice with fake honesty, something she had needed to learn to be so often around Koga, “I was visiting Kaede, I miss her company.”
 
“What's wrong with my company? Are you saying that you prefer an old hag's company over a Wolf Leader's?” Koga's growl rumbled in his throat.
 
Kagome bit her lip to hold back a defiant retort, “Of course not My Lord, but she is the closest thing I have to a mother-”
 
“-Again with this family nonsense. The Wolf Clans don't need things like family to weaken them. You would do well to follow our noble race.”
 
Kagome clenched her fists so that her nails bit into her flesh, but nodded obediently. Maybe Koga sensed her anger because he sighed wearily and walked over to her kneeling position.
 
“Kagome, you know I only want what's best for you. Look at me Kagome.”
 
Kagome's anger partially ebbed at the note of gentleness that entered his voice. She slowly lifted her head to look at him. His eyes practically overflowed with positive affections, and yet Kagome knew she could not return them. What was wrong with her? This should be any slave's dream! Koga was very handsome, rich, powerful, and he absolutely adored her. So why was it so hard to love him back?
 
“Kagome, you know I feel for you. I want you to be happy,” Koga cupped Kagome's chin gently, “Remember that. I know your family is a sensitive subject, but you need to get over it.”
 
Kagome's former rage returned with burning intensity. She forced it down and strained to put on a pleasant face. Luckily, it seemed to trick Koga because he smiled and released her chin.
 
“I'm going to check my Clan in the Western Lands of the Wolf's Land. I'll be gone all day so don't miss me too much. You have the day off to do as you please. I know you'll worry, but try not to too much. It ruins your beautiful face.”
 
With that Koga strutted out of the throne room toward the stables. As soon as she heard the door close she stood and walked briskly out of the near empty mansion to her garden. The one place she could cool her head and relax.
 
~*~*~*~
 
“Arrogant, egotistical, conceited, overconfident, vain, stuck-up jerk!”
 
Kagome weaved jerkily through he memorized route to her garden. Her knuckles were white from her tight grip on the basket. Kagome had brought fish and rice from the mansion and several herbal remedies and salves. She soon entered her garden. The day was bright and sunny and shed golden rays down to nourish her beloved garden. Her anger dissipated in favor of the pleasant serenity that settled over her. Kagome let her frustration with Koga pour out of her in deep breaths. Once she felt completely centered she walked calmly over to the well to draw some water for the demon boy. He was most likely still asleep so she would have to be careful feeding him. She hummed softly as she made her way to the clearing with her basket of food and pail of water. She parted the branches with her arm carefully and looked over at the boy, and then her body went rigid.
 
“What are you looking at wench?”
 
Kagome froze, nearly dropping her basket and water in the process. He was awake. The demon that could slice her into itsie-bitsie pieces was awake and didn't look happy. Not only that but her frozen look of terror didn't seem to be helping.
 
“I asked you a question bitch, what are you looking at?!”
 
Kagome's fear was momentarily overpowered by her anger, “What did you call me?”
 
“So now the bitch is deaf,” the boy sarcastically replied.
 
Kagome's jaw dropped, “How dare you-!”
 
“Bitch, the question isn't `How dare I', it's `Why' shouldn't I.”
 
Kagome's blood boiled at the smug not in his tone. She had helped this jackass?! Without thinking Kagome marched up to the boy and dumped the cool water over his head. The demon looked surprised and sputtered indignantly.
 
“There, now maybe you can cool that hot head of yours and learn some behavioral respect toward those who save your ungrateful life!”
 
Kagome's heated blood immediately ran cold when she heard the low, venomous growl that the demon emitted. She cautiously stepped back a few paces, dropping her bucket in the process. When she was almost at the edge of the clearing she froze in terror as the demon roared.
 
“You BITCH!”
 
Kagome screamed as the demon lunged for her. She impulsively put up the same barrier that had repelled the evil creature on the night she had first found the boy. The demon collided with it and was sent harshly back into a tree with an ominous crack. The boy slid off the tree onto the forest floor. He tried to get back up, but only got as far as the kneeling position before he hissed in pain and clutched his side. Kagome lowered her barrier. Despite herself, she wanted to help him. Something was definitely wrong with her, but she wanted so badly to keep him alive.
 
“Are you alright?” Kagome asked meekly.
 
“What the hell do you mean am I alright? Ya, I just broke a couple ribs against a tree but sure, never better.” He responded bitterly.
 
For some reason, this was amusing to Kagome. She abruptly erupted into a fit of giggles, which in turn became full out laughter.
 
Even though the boy knew he should contemptuously hate this girl, he found that her laugh made him want to smile. Her laugh was like the sun; it made him want to bask in its everyday glory and smile back. The boy found this feeling disturbing and mentally shoved it away.
 
“What the hell is so funny?”
 
Kagome stifled her laughter and wiped away her tears, “I'm sorry, it's not funny at all. It's just, it was so tense, than you…I'm sorry, here let me see.”
 
The boy was deeply startled, “I just tried to kill you.”
 
Kagome nodded, “And I just cracked your rib, now let me see.”
 
Kagome walked over to his spot and kneeled, taking a cream out of her basket.
 
“What are you doing?” the boy asked warily.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, “Mending your wounds, and there's not much you can do about it.”
 
Inuyasha was speechless for a minute, “Who are you?”
 
“Kagome, a slave in the household that owns the garden you stole from.” Kagome glanced up at his face.
 
The boy's face took on a look of realization, so that's why she looked familiar.
 
“And you are?”
 
“Why should I tell you?”
 
Kagome scowled slightly, “I told you mine.”
 
“So?”
 
So you should tell me yours.”
 
“Says who?”
 
“Says me, obviously.”
 
“What if I don't?”
 
Kagome sighed, “You're being childish you know, but if you insist I will sink to your level.”
 
Kagome pushed on the area the boy had been clutching when he fell off the tree. The boy jumped slightly and yelped.
 
“What did you do that for?!”
 
“What is your name?”
 
Inuyasha eyed her angrily, but she looked determined and after that last barrier he wasn't sure if he wanted to challenge her in his state.
 
“Inuyasha,” he sulked.
 
“Inuyasha?” Kagome smiled, “See that wasn't so hard, now take off your shirt.”
 
“What?!”
 
“You heard me, how am I supposed to help you with your shirt on?”
 
“I don't need help, I'm a hanyou.”
 
“Hanyou? A half-demon.”
 
Inuyasha mentally cursed himself for letting that slip, “What if I am? You got a problem with that?”
 
Kagome shook her head, “No, I've just never met a hanyou, Sesshomaru killed most of them.”
 
Inuyasha bristled slightly, but controlled it before Kagome noticed. He may have imagined it, but she sounded a bit remorseful, “Well now you have, leave me alone.”
 
Kagome stubbornly shook her head, “Not until I bandage you.”
 
“I told you I don't need it.”
 
“You may not need it but you could use it.”
 
Inuyasha had no answer to that, he had expected a contradiction, so reluctantly he took off his shirt and let her bandage him. When his shirt was removed he noticed a slight pink blush stained her cheeks. He almost smiled as he watched her try to hide it. He stared at her as she dutifully tended his wounds and checked his body for further injury. When she felt his ribs her face saddened, making him feel uneasy.
 
“What?”
 
Kagome's head snapped up, it almost seemed like she forgot her patient had a head, “Hm?”
 
“What's wrong with my rib?”
 
Kagome's gaze turned downcast, “Two are broken,” her head snapped up, “I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you.”
 
Inuyasha looked at Kagome's almost tearful face. He hated to see women cry, a weakness he hated in himself.
 
“I'm fine.”
 
“No your not, I hurt you.”
 
Inuyasha didn't know what to say to that. Why did she care so much? What had he ever done to her but unkind things? What reason had she to help him? Why was he suddenly loosing the ability to string two words together?
 
“Feh, it'll be gone in a few days.”
 
Kagome looked as if she was trying very hard not to cry, “I've never really hurt anyone, except that thing the other night.”
 
Inuyasha looked curious, “What thing?”
 
Kagome looked up at him with disbelieving eyes, “Surely you remember the evil creature that inflicted your near fatal wounds!”
 
Inuyasha's eyes grew wide, “That thing?! You survived an encounter with that?!”
 
Kagome nodded.
 
“How?!”
 
Kagome blushed slightly in embarrassment, “I, um, purified it.”
 
Inuyasha's face contorted in anger, he hopped into the branches of the tree he had been slammed into. He winced slightly, but stopped himself from gripping his side, “You! I should have known. You're a miko!”
 
Kagome was somewhat startled by the hanyou's sudden departure, but recovered quickly. Her face was innocent and trusting when she looked up at him through the branches, “I'm not trained yet, so I don't know much, but anyways what does that have to do with anything?”
 
Inuyasha growled, “You were intending to purify me when I wasn't looking weren't you?”
 
Kagome's innocent gaze grew angry, “I was not!”
 
Inuyasha's glare was menacing, “Why should I believe you, miko?”
 
Kagome's hands formed fists, “If I wanted you purified would I have dressed your wounds and brought you food?”
 
Inuyasha paused, “All just a plot to gain my confidence.”
 
Kagome sighed, “I'm getting tired of your delusions, if you don't get down here I'll-”
 
“What? Call for help?” Inuyasha smirked.
 
Kagome sighed again, “Just remember, you forced me to do this.”
 
Inuyasha watched curiously as Kagome pulled something out of her basket. They looked like round blue beads and some type of fangs. Kagome began muttering something incoherent under her breath. Inuyasha watched suspiciously as the beads and fangs started to glow and pulsate slowly, rhythmically. Slowly, their rhythm grew faster, and faster, till their emitted a high-pitched sound and their glows grew constant. Suddenly, the beads shot out of Kagome's hands and encircled themselves around Inuyasha's neck, and the pale pink light ceased leaving only the blue beads and fangs in a rosary. Inuyasha looked down, flabbergasted. He tried to lift them off, but the little porcelain beads seemed to suddenly weigh tons. Inuyasha let them fall to his neck again, they felt as light as air again. Inuyasha tried to break them, to no avail.
 
“You can try all you want you know, but they won't come off.”
 
Inuyasha glared vituperatively at Kagome, and lunged, “You BITCH!”
 
Kagome sighed, “SIT BOY!”
 
Inuyasha felt the weight return to the beads as he suddenly, in mid-leap, plummeted face first into the soft soil. Inuyasha tried to pry himself from the ground, but the tug of the beads kept him down.
 
“Bitch! Get this off me!”
 
“My name is Kagome! Ka-go-me! Not bitch, not wench, Kagome! Now let me see your wounds.”
 
Inuyasha found that the bead's pull soon wore off. He tried to return to the branches of the tree, but was stopped before he reached it.
 
“Don't even think about it!” Kagome shouted, “Or I'll `sit' you!”
 
Inuyasha was dragged to the ground again. Kagome let out a straggled cry, the note of anger in her voice dissipated.
 
“I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to si-”
 
Kagome felt a taloned hand cover her mouth, “Just shut up!”
 
Kagome nodded rigidly, if she sat him now he would take her with him, which, by his reaction, didn't sound to pleasant. Kagome remained as stiff as a board until finally Inuyasha pulled his hand away and walked haltingly toward the tree. He flopped down at the base of and grabbed her basket. He sniffed its contents suspiciously before extracting the fish and rice.
 
“Those are for you,” Kagome said awkwardly, “It's not much, but it's food.”
 
Inuyasha scoffed, “Keh, I could catch better food with my arms behind my back.”
 
Kagome crossed her arms in annoyance, “Excuse me for feeding you, next time I'll let you starve in the wilderness.”
 
Inuyasha stuck out his tongue indignantly. Kagome scrunched up her face in disgust.
 
“Oh ya, that's mature.”
 
~*~*~*~
 
Kagome spent the rest of the afternoon tending to the hanyou. He was generally rude and ungrateful, but eventually Kagome began to ignore the childish comments, blaming it on bruised ego and fear of priestesses. Inuyasha surprised Kagome however when she left.
 
“I have to go,” Kagome said wearily as she packed the extra bandages in the basket, “Kaede will be worried.”
 
Inuyasha just crossed his arms and stared at the sky as she got up and exited the grove. She was too lost in thought to wave good-bye.
 
“Oi, Kagome!”
 
Kagome's head whipped around, “Did you just call me Kagome?”
 
Inuyasha looked annoyed, “That is your name isn't it?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes in irritation, but it was a start.
 
“Don't tell anyone I'm here.”
 
Kagome smiled and mimed a locking motion in front of her lips, “Your secrets safe with me.”
 
With that Kagome left her garden, and the demon, in much more pleasant a mood than she expected.
 
~*~*~*~
 
A/N Another chapter done! YAY! Happy happy happy! It's 10 pages! Wew, gotta restock my thinkin' fuel! *grabs some Ramen* Mmmmm, BRAIN FOOD!