InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In My Secret Heart ❯ In Search of a Shadow ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I'm so not in the mood to do this.
 
Hello people, thanks again for the reviews, though I did think there'd be a bit more. That's alright though, as long as I get some. Anyway, I am out of things to say lately, but then you don't want to here my rant do you? *sniffle* Naw, I'm alright, ok, enough of my mindless babble, on with le chapitar!
 
Quote of the Chapter:
 
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”- Ellen Parr
 
In Search of a Shadow
 
Kagome walked calmly through the vast mansion in which she served, more calmly than she felt. Kagome wanted desperately to talk to Sango, to tell someone about what had happened, but Sango had been gone after leaving to fetch something or another. Kagome could feel the growing panic building up in the pit of her stomach; she fought desperately to keep it at bay.
 
Kagome opened the large door that led to the outside world, she immediately felt better as she basked in the refreshing cool breeze that gently lifted her dark hair. Kagome closed her eyes and let the damp air brush her skin. Kagome opened her eyes lazily; the sun was sinking into the horizon. A beautiful pale blue was slowly darkening, draining the already waning light from the surrounding landscape. Kagome was startled at how long she had been searching for Sango. Suddenly, the sky rained down tiny droplets that drenched all that was not sheltered. Kagome smiled as the rain became larger and slightly harsher, she had always loved the rain. Kagome turned back to the lower servant's quarters where Sango resided; surely she was back by now.
 
Kagome started back for the house when suddenly a strange sound met her ears. Kagome's head snapped around, her eyes scanning that rapidly darkening landscape. Had she imagined it, or did she hear a growl? Kagome shivered and fumbled for the door. It came again, except this time it sounded clearer, and if she wasn't mistaking, did she hear pain in the growl? Kagome looked frantically for some object that could be used as a weapon, all she saw was a woven basket. Kagome grabbed the basket by the door she used to gather herbs, though someone had filled it with some berries, Kagome was too anxious to think to empty them out.
 
Kagome, even in her state of nervous fear, realized that she could be walking straight into a trap; she could be even now making her death wish. The growl was coming from the direction of the garden, Kagome hesitated, what was she thinking. The growl came again, starting as a furious bellow, and then dropping into a hiss of pain before it was cut off.
 
Silence.
 
Kagome listened to the raindrops gentle patter on the roof. Her confusion turned to hysteria, what if someone was dying even as she herself tried to gather up her courage? She became suddenly furious with herself, how could she be so selfish? Kagome made up her mind and sprinted through the fields to her own little garden. The only witnesses of her departure were the tiny droplets, as the splattered quietly on the ground, following her through the outside world in her hurried search and rescue.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Kagome threaded through the trees she had navigated so many times, nearly tripping in her hurry. Kagome reached her garden, not a leaf was out of place. Kagome gazed baffled at the serene landscape which she had become accustom. A twig snapped in the trees in front of her. Kagome's eyes widened in horror, she gripped her basket tightly as she crept quietly, tentatively into the trees. Kagome had barely reached the tree line when a black figure leapt from the trees. Kagome could feel the evil rolling off it in waves, it filled her senses, smelling of rotting flesh, and it was so thick she could taste it. Two, blood-red eyes burned into her own, forever leaving its imprint in her memory. Large bloody gashes gaped from its form, oozing dark red slime like acid as it dropped and burned the ground with its pure evil.
 
Suddenly, the thing lunged, attacking Kagome with pitch-black teeth and claws. Kagome, in a feeble attempt to defend herself, raised her arms in a cross-defensive position, squeezing her eyes shut. The thing collided with a blue barrier that appeared on contact, it was forced back into a tree trunk, leaving a dark, inset imprint in the tree. The thing got up, shook itself, and lunged again. Kagome raised her palms toward it, trying desperately to remember what little she had listened to from her grandfather about mikos. When she was younger her grandfather had told her she was a miko, and shown her simple spells and charms which Kaede had reinforced. Kagome thanked her lucky stars she remembered them.
 
Kagome summoned her strength, sending a stream of blue light flowed out of her palms. The thing seemed to stop in midair as the bright light enveloped it. For a second, time froze. For a sickening few seconds Kagome thought it would overcome her purification. Then in a flash, the thing disintegrated, leaving only ash that the rainy breeze whisked away in a damp draft. Kagome paused to catch her breath, it was a good thing it was already wounded or she may have not been able to destroy it. Kagome was sure that thing didn't omit the growls she heard, for though they had sounded dangerous, they had sounded human.
 
She crept warily into the trees, almost immediately spotting the object of her search. There was the boy on the forest floor, the demon. Kagome's gaze hardened at his memory, it was the boy who had stolen from her garden! She would have purified him (or at least given him a few lumps) had she not noticed how utterly helpless and frail he looked.
 
His brilliant silver hair was tangled and covering his face and catching the leaves on the ground, blood streaked his hair in various places, sticking to still flowing wounds. His mocking amber eyes were closed in a painful sleep as his face contorted and twitched in his obvious pain. A scar marred his face, tearing a gash and leaving a bright red flow. His clothes were torn and bloodied, wounds bled freely at an alarming rate. Kagome's eyes softened as she mentally cursed herself for being such a caring person. Kagome kneeled on the ground next to the boy, nursing his wounds to the bets of her ability. She frequently left him to get water from the well. When she was finished her sleeves were torn from their use as bandages. Kagome had had to take off his shirt but luckily the cuts on his lower body could heal on their own.
 
Kagome carefully washed and combed the leaves and blood out of the boy's hair and cleaned the caked on blood off his face. By the time she was satisfied it was almost dawn. Kagome noticed with delight that she wasn't tired, just nervous that someone had noticed her absence. Kagome gathered some leaves around the boy to keep him warm until she returned, there was no telling what Koga would do if she brought a demon back to his mansion. Kagome left the basket of berries by the boy in case he woke up. Kagome ran briskly through the forest, casting the boy one last look before disappearing across fields that led to the mansion in which she was only a servant.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Kagome had just narrowly avoided disaster by explaining that there had been no water this morning, which was why she had to leave so early and return while the lower slaves were waking. Kagome had taken what little provisions she could take without drawing attention; these included a small loaf of bread, some tiny fish, and berries she collected along the way. It was surprising the amount of security that was placed on such meager provisions when there was such a plentiful amount of food. Kagome planned to also give him what food she could from her garden, but vegetables could only hold a demon over for so long. Kagome was sure to stop by Priestess Kaede's hut for proper bandages and salve. She also took some goldenseal from her herb garden to treat the boy's gashes and herbal tea to help his internal wounds. Her basket was half full when she entered the small glen where she had found the boy. Sure enough when she came back, he was still in the place where she had left him.
 
Kagome redressed his wounds and checked his vitals. She was delighted to find out that he was no longer unconscious, only sleeping soundly. His demon abilities also affected his healing process. Kagome only put salve on the deeper wounds. Unconsciously she started humming as she worked. After the boy was bandaged, medicated, and warm Kagome began to work on a crushed mixture she would add to his tea. She was so absorbed in fact she failed to notice the demon slowly waking.
 
~*~*~*~
 
…What happened?…
 
The boy's hazy mind was sore. The fog that had settled over his brain was beginning to clear.
 
…Where am I?…
 
There was some memory in the distant corner of his mind. Something evil, something dark. He didn't want to remember it, he just wanted to remember nothing, be nothing, and drift in blissful emptiness.
 
…Wait, what's that sound…Sounds like…my lullaby…
Where dips the rocky highland
Of sleuth wood in the lake
There lies a leafy island
Where flapping herons wake
The drowsy water rats
There we've hid our fairy vats
Full of berries
And of reddest stolen cherries.
Come away oh human child
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand
The song he had almost forgotten echoed in every crevice of his mind. His mother used to sing it to him, his lips twitched into a smile. He remembered, pictures flashed across his mind like a movie. Things he had not dared to think of painted themselves vividly in his mind's eye.
Where the wave of moonlight glosses
The dim grey sands with light
By far off furthest roses
We foot it all the night
Weaving olden dances
Mingling hands and mingling glances
Till the moon has taken flight
To and fro we leap
And chase the frothy bubbles
Whilst the world is full of troubles
And is anxious in its sleep.
Come away oh human child
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand
…Mother, where are you? I can hear you, but I can't see you…
Where the wandering water gushes
From the hills above glen car
In pools among the rushes
That scarce could bathe a star
We seek for slumbering trout
And whispering in their ears
Give them unquiet dreams
Leaning softly out
From ferns that drop their tears
Over the young streams
Come away oh human child
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand
He started to wake-up. He tried desperately to lose consciousness. Deep down he knew it wasn't his mother singing, but he wanted so badly to believe it, he wanted it to be real. He became aware of a dull throbbing in various places of his body. He reluctantly opened his eyes.
…Who…?
There was a girl, no older than 16 or 17 kneeling not 3 feet away from him. He listlessly tested the air. He smelt his own blood. He also smelt the girl, an unfamiliar, yet not unpleasant scent. She smelt of life, like cherry blossoms, almonds and honey. It was unique; he would have remembered that scent. He looked down at himself, still more subconscious than not, he was bandaged. The tingling sensation he felt on his various body parts also told him that some kind of medicinal lotion was used. He hadn't done this, had the girl?
“…Why…?” he had said that aloud without realizing.
The girl stiffened, slowly turning her head to see him, his beautiful amber eyes were glazed over, and he was still mostly asleep. She relaxed, crawling over to the space beside him.
“Shh,” she hushed, either not hearing or choosing not to answer his vague question, “sleep now, you are injured.”
His eyes closed heavily, “…Why…did you help me…?”
His breathing became shallower and more even; he was asleep again, leaving her no time to answer him. Nevertheless, the question confused her.
Why didI help him?” she wondered.
It was true yes that she was known to help people for no reason, but those were humans, humans that had done nothing to her, especially tread in her garden. So why was this demon, this thing that had stolen from her most sacred place so special? Kagome tried to be angry with him, or with herself, but she held no ill will toward the boy or her actions. If needed she would have done it all over again.
Kagome poured some medicinal tea done the boys throat steadily, being sure not to choke him. When it was all down she left the berries, fish and bread next to the boy. If she didn't return to the mansion in fairly short frequencies, Lord Koga, as disconnected with her habits as he was, would become suspicious. Kagome made sure the boy was comfortable once again and left him till she returned.
I don't know who you are demon, but it seems I am destined to help you live…
~*~*~*~
Ok, that's long enough I think. REVIEW!