InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Our Hearts ❯ In Our Sorrow ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

In Our Hearts
Chapter One
In Our Sorrow
 
A/N - This is the first time I've done it where they are all from Kagome's world. I'm actually just writing this on the spur of the moment, I don't really know where it's going.
 
Inuyasha is not mine, but this story is, even though I based it a bit on “Spellbound” by Christopher Pike. Sorry for any offenses.
 
 
Kagome walked down the driveway of her house, breathing in the morning air. It was the first day of summer vacation, and it was great already! She couldn't wait to meet up with her friends and go somewhere.
 
But first: the paper! She knew that most people her age didn't like to read the newspaper, but she always liked to keep up to date on what was going on. She knew it was kind of stupid, but it made her feel safer that she knew what was out there. But nothing could have prepared her for what was waiting for her on the front page.
 
Death Strikes Tokyo with the Tragic Find of Seventeen-year-old Sango Coral.
 
Kagome felt herself go cold. She laughed, and the sound of her own voice scared her.
 
Who would do a prank like this? Give me a phony copy of the paper saying that my best friend is dead? I just talked to her two days ago, she's alive and fine…right?
 
She hurriedly picked up the paper to read the rest of the article.
 
The body of Sango Coral was discovered yesterday in the middle of Amber Woods, where she lived. There was clear evidence of a struggle, and although only Sango's blood was found, the police are still searching the area for clues.
It was a horrible scene. Police say it may have been a grizzly attack, but don't seem to be considering it much because, for one, it's well known that they do not live in our climate, and also, the damage was too severe.
Her head was a mess. Several chunks of hair were missing, completely torn out of her skull. Her rib cage was shattered, and it appeared that her head had been crushed, or beaten multiple times. Both arms were broken in several places, and her legs were slashed and bruised as well.
 
Kagome felt her knees give out, and she fell to the ground. But she felt she had to finish this horrible documentary of her dear friend's death.
 
No evidence was provided that could give us any leads whatsoever. Sango had not been violated after her death, or before, as was shown from the autopsy, which is still in progress. We will know more details by tomorrow.
Her parents say that she had left to go shopping on her own yesterday, July 1, at around 12:30 in the afternoon. She was found by a visitor to the Coral residence at about 9:30pm. The visitor's name was Kagura Rouge, and old friend of the family, and is being held for questioning at this very moment.
The death of Sango is leaving us all saddened. She was young, and could have done many things with her life. We may never know who killed her. All we can hope is that we can all remember Sango Coral for her beauty, charm, and love for life.
She was only seventeen.
 
Kagome was numb. This wasn't happening, she would go inside and call her right then, and Sango would pick up the phone, laughing in between her sentences as she always did.
 
She raced inside, about to pick up the phone and dial, when it rang in her hand.
 
“Sango?” she blurted out, sure that it would be her friend.
 
“Is this Kagome?” replied a voice at the other end, thick with a sadness so great that it could not be faked.
 
It was Miroku, Sango's boyfriend, who, although a bit of a cheater at times, had loved Sango more than life itself.
 
“Miroku…” she whispered. “It can't be true…can it?”
 
She heard a muffled sniffling on the other end. Miroku was crying.
 
“I'm so sorry Kagome…I'm afraid it's very real.”
 
“NO! You're all lying! I bet it was you who planted that newspaper at my house! Well, I've had enough of your joke. I'm going to call Sango right now and talk to her, then we'll both beat you up for lying like this!” she shouted, and then slammed the phone down on it's receiver.
 
Immediately, she dialed Sango's number, and waited for someone to pick up.
 
Waited.
 
And waited.
 
And waited.
 
But no one picked up.
 
Realization flooded through Kagome that, for the first time in her life, Sango would not be there with her.
 
To cry on her shoulder, or to offer her own shoulder to be cried on.
 
To go to the mall with her, and buy horrible clothes at outrageous prices just for the fun of it.
 
To just sit there and laugh for no reason at all.
 
To argue over something stupid and then call the next day because they missed each other.
 
To go everywhere, do everything.
 
It was all over.
 
Kagome felt her world collapse, as she fell to the ground and cried.
 
“Oh Sango…” she moaned. “How can this be happening?”
 
As the sky fell down on her, she cried herself to sleep.
 
 
It was the phone ringing again that woke her.
 
For a moment, she wondered why she felt so sad. It was, after all, vacation, right?
 
Then the truth came crashing down once more.
 
Tears fell from her eyes as she realized the phone was still ringing.
 
“Hello?” she said shakily.
 
“I guess you heard the news.” Said the voice on the other end, and Kagome saw it was Inuyasha. Sango had been good friends with him, but Kagome had not known him that well. She liked guys who opened up to people, and he always acted like a tough guy. She didn't even know how he had her number.
 
“How could she leave us like this…” she whispered to him.
 
His voice was thick with something, but she couldn't tell whether it was grief or anger. Maybe it was both.
 
“I don't know. Are you ok right now?” he asked, and this shocked her, because normally he wouldn't give a damn about what other people were feeling. But this too made her mad - how could he expect her to be “ok” when her best friend was gone forever?
 
“I don't know what you're pulling on me Inuyasha” she started. “But one thing is for sure. I'm not ok. I can't remember when I've been less ok. And is it ok if I ask why the hell you would care how I'm feeling right now?” breathing heavily, Kagome fought to keep more tears from falling.
 
She heard him draw a deep breathe on the other side of the phone line.
 
“I know you're not ok. Neither am I. Sango was a good thing in a shitty world of mine. Maybe I shouldn't have called…I just wanted to talk to someone who knew her like you did. I can call Miroku.” He said, but his voice was flat and emotionless.
 
She began to feel a pang of sympathy for the guy on the other end. He had, after all, been close to Sango as well. But this led to new questions. Did Inuyasha perhaps have any romantic interest in Sango? Unknowingly, she muttered her last question out loud. A mirthless chuckle sounded.
 
“The answer to your question is no, if you really want to know.”
 
She didn't feel embarrassed. Maybe it hurt too much to feel anything right now. Kagome felt as if the only thing that she felt was sadness. And she didn't want it to go away. If she forgot what it felt like to lose her, would she forget Sango and all their precious memories?
 
“Look, I don't really feel like talking on the phone…do you want to come over? I'm home alone.” She said feebly, because she too wanted to speak to somebody about her beloved friend.
 
“Sure. I don't need an address, I know where you live.” He said, and then hung up, leaving Kagome shocked at his words. How did he know where she, of all people, spent her days and nights?
 
She collapsed into a chair and sat there, staring into space until she realized there was a figure in front of her. She sat up with a start and saw that it was Inuyasha.
 
“Why did you come right in? We have a doorbell you know.” Kagome was always quick to anger when she was upset, and now it would have been dangerous to get her mad.
 
He shrugged. “I rang the doorbell about ten times, hammered on the door, and there was no answer, so I just let myself in.” she nodded at his explanation, thinking it was pretty normal for her to space out like that. She gestured for him to take a seat in the many chairs around her, and he immediately sank down in one and put his face in his hands.
 
They sat like that for awhile in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. But Kagome was getting a little uncomfortable with nobody talking about anything.
 
“Is there something you want to say?” she said quietly. He looked up at her.
 
“I'm sorry…perhaps I shouldn't have come after all. I guess I got tired of being alone in my apartment and wanted someone around. I'll leave if you want me to.” He started to get up.
 
“No, that's ok. Stay.” Kagome said, shaking her head, then realizing what he had said.
 
“Are your parents not home?” she wondered.
 
“I live alone. They're both dead.” He said flatly. She gasped.
 
“I'm…sorry to bring that up now. I really am.” She said, not really knowing what to say.
 
Her pity increased. Her parents were wealthy, and Sango was the first person close to her to have ever gone away. Here was someone who didn't have a house, lived in an apartment, and had no parents at all. Now his friend died.
 
No wonder he always acts tough. She thought.
 
“You don't have to pity me. It was a long time ago.” He said, as if reading her thoughts. Her cheeks reddened slightly. Kagome thought of Sango. She was always so quick with a smart comeback at a time like this. She felt as if she was letting her deceased friend down somehow, by not being able to be as much as Sango had been. This just reminded her more that she was gone…forever seemed like such a big word. Was it really an eternity before she would meet her again?
 
Kagome felt the tears come, and turned her face away so he wouldn't see her weakness. After all, he had been through so much more than her and wasn't breaking down in front of her. Or was he? He was certainly more polite than usual. Enough to have been called civil. And he was even more quiet than usual.
 
She looked over at him, and to Kagome's surprise and horror he was shaking uncontrollably, and although his eyes remained dry they were wide with grief and sadness.
 
Kagome saw that Inuyasha was in desperate need of some comfort, and went over to sit next to him on the couch. She put a hand on his shoulder, making him twitch.
 
Tears still running down her face, she gently said, “You'll be ok in a while.”
 
To her surprise, he reached up and grabbed her hand, squeezing it so hard she felt his fingernails would leave marks on her hand. He stared at the ground.
 
“I miss her.” Were the only words he said, but she knew that inside he was suffering just as much as she was over the loss of her friend.
 
All of a sudden, Kagome felt more tired than she had ever felt in her life. She leaned her head on his shoulder, the silent tears falling down her face.
 
Then he really surprised her. Shocked her in fact.
 
Inuyasha somehow reached a hand around her waist and pulled her close against him.
 
“Inu…yasha?” She said, her voice no more than a whisper, as she leaned her head against his chest.
 
“She always wanted me to…tell you…but I never did…” he whispered in her ear.
 
“Tell me what?” she asked, curious.
 
His eyes were shadowed when he spoke next. “I don't think I could say it now even. Maybe someday…”
 
“That's ok.” She said, and despite her sadness, she could not help but think of how good it felt to be held.
 
Inuyasha too appreciated the warmth of the girl next to him. It was true, Sango had continually told him to tell Kagome the truth…always teasing him that she would tell her himself if he never got the courage.
 
Sango had always wanted him to tell Kagome that he liked her.
 
He liked her a lot.
 
It was Sango who had told him her number, and her address, with less than subtle hints of what to do with them.
 
But now Sango was gone, and he couldn't talk to her anymore. In reality, Sango had been his only friend. All the others around him weren't in this world anymore.
 
Kagome was the one of the best people in the world to him.
 
He wished with all his heart that he could tell her, but he knew that this was not the time.
 
Instead, he held her a little closer, and took comfort in her arms.
 
 
That's the first chapter! Does everybody like? Lennyasha hopes so!!
 
Well - if you liked it or not you know what to do…
 
*Drumroll*
 
REVIEW!!!!
 
Chapter Two will come!
 
Sayonara!
 
**Wow - I amaze myself sometimes!!!!!!!! I was just reading this once more to go over it - and yes, the tough Lennyasha was bawling her eyes out!
 
So do we all like this? I don't know what to write next. Any ideas will be gladly welcomed! I have an idea of who killed her - so no worries about that! I just want there to be a story to this, not just a huge plot-less story of Inuyasha and Kagome fluff. I mean - that is good, and this is an Inu/Kag story, but I need something to make a chapter out of! I have severe writers block on this thing - but if you like angsty fluff check out my other fic! It has five insanely long chapters! Ignore the first one - it's just a weird prologue, the story STARTS in the second chapter. Hope you guys read it!