InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In The Beginning. ❯ FOOLISH CHILD ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

FOOLISH CHILD
 
 
Sesshomaru opened his eyes to the sound of clear birdsong and the strong scents of the forest all around him.
He could feel his body working to heal itself, but it would be a while yet, before he could leave this place. After staring at the motes dancing in the sunlight filtering down through the canopy, he turned his head, startling the crow that had been picking at the fish. The scrawny creature had been watching him nervously, knowing he was not dead, yet unable to resist the food that lay there untouched. The bird now fluttered backwards warily, but the Youkai did nothing but observe with disinterest. After a while, the thin creature regained its nerve and went back to the food, hurriedly picking at chunks of the fish, lightening the load so it so it could be carried back to its nest. It still kept one eye on the demon, though.
Sesshomaru stared at the remnants of the meagre rations the girl had left.
Foolish Ningen.
The remnants of fear scent had clung to her last night when she had come bearing her meal, and so he knew that she must have stolen the fish. She did not get it from another, he was certain.
The girl's scent was that of an orphan. She smelt of dirt, grime, old nervous sweat, and not a trace of another human scent, man, woman, or child, could be found on her. Her hempen yukata was worn and grubby, her small, calloused feet bare, her thick black mane unkempt, with it's stupid little one-sided ponytail. And no child with a family would dare approach a Youkai, not to mention attempting to help one, for they would have been told of the danger, repeatedly. This girl had to have been on her own for some time, since though he had caught some fear on her, she had thrown caution to the winds and approached him nonetheless.
Fool of a human.
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed.
She was coming.
Minutes later, the foliage rustled, and the morning sunlight flashed upon the large brown eyes of the girl as she looked at him shyly from around that same tree.
Sesshomaru turned his eyes back on the underfed crow still picking at the food.
The child followed his impassive gaze, and blinked as she saw the bird. A dismayed expression came over her face, and she hurried forward. The crow thus decided that this meal was unworthy of such drama, and it took its leave, cawing harshly.
The girl knelt sadly beside the remains of the food, but the damage could not be undone and she knew it. She looked at him apologetically with melancholy brown eyes.
After a moment Sesshomaru looked away, his face expressionless. As if it was her fault. Idiot.
The child gazed at him solemnly. After a minute, she began to mouth silently, like a fish out of water.
Sesshomaru looked at her without moving his head.
The girl's face was screwed up in obvious frustration, her large eyes were sad as she attempted to speak. But the only thing that came from her throat was a soft sound, which could by no stretch of the imagination be described as a word, though it was her voice.
He turned his eyes away again. Perhaps the child was mute.
That was of no inconvenience to him.
The girl child remained in her place for a while, watching him inquisitively, though somewhat shyly. He did not look at her. Uninterested, he inspected her strange human scent.
The first scent he caught was what he now recognised as the girl's signature scent. And then river water. She had bathed. She must have been up before dawn had broken then, for her wild hair was dry. He then caught the scent of - nothing other than dogs. Hmm. No doubt they were about the only living things in whatever village she came from that would bother to interact with her.
It was a while before she moved. Getting to her feet, she took up the untouched water cup before giving him a faint, shy smile, and leaving the clearing. Sesshomaru did not watch her. But it seemed she did not mind.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
When she reached the village, Rin slowed her pace and lowered her head so as to become more inconspicuous. The villagers going along their morning business gave her no more than a passing glance, and so she was able to let her thoughts drift back to the Youkai.
He had said last night that he did not eat human food. And he had not.
But that was strange. Demons did eat human food, and she knew it, for only a few days ago some Kitsune had eaten several of the village leader's chickens.
Maybe he just didn't like human food . . .
But, he was injured! He had to get better, and to get better, he needed to eat.
The sound of laughter reached Rin's ears and she looked up, coming back to herself. Not very far ahead, a group of the village boys and girls were playing loudly, and her expression clouded, her pace slowing to a stop. When she was younger, and her family still alive, these children had once been her playmates. But it was certainly not so now. Not anymore.
Avoiding them, the girl ducked around the side of one hut and hurried on.
Reaching the relative safety of the close interior of her hovel, Rin sat down on her rough little blanket. She removed the top of the flask and peered inside. She was right, it was untouched. Absently, she took a draught of the tepid water, her mind drifting back again to the Youkai.
Maybe there was some kind of demon food he would be willing to eat. But she didn't know any. All she could do was bring him water and fish. And hope for the best.
Her thoughts remained on the white-haired demon for a long time, and she only came out of her reverie several hours later when one of the village women called `Chibi!' from outside, and carelessly tossed in a cooked fish wrapped in an ume leaf to her.
Rin swallowed as she stared down at the fish. She was hungry. But as least she could go and forage something for herself.
She was not lying injured and unable to move.
Her face set, Rin took the fish, refilled her flask, and surreptitiously returned to the forest.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
The Youkai's eyes were distant, fixed upon space as he thought. There was an almost imperceptible frown on his face. His thoughts were dark.
Tetsusaiga . . .
His golden eyes glinted as he was brought back to himself by the sounds of approach and a scent he knew.
She was just going to keep on coming; he knew it; no matter what he said.
And so Sesshomaru did not bother to say a thing as the girl stepped into the clearing, the sunlight dappling on her pale face surrounded by her thick mane of unruly dark hair.
She was less timid now, her gait was markedly calm as she approached him and knelt, setting down the water flask and the large leaf again with a fish and a few small wild mushrooms. She glanced up at him expectantly, but he neither spoke nor looked at her.
After a minute the girl got to her feet with a bow, and then she turned and left, glancing back at him once or twice. He did not return her look.
Sesshomaru's eyes were narrowed. She was taking pleasure in this, believing she was helping him. Idiot Ningen. If she tried to take this too far, he would have to resort to killing her. As soon as he could move.
Or maybe he wouldn't, he realised, glancing at the fish. There were other human scents on this one, she had been given it. The girl was giving him her own rations. If she continued this, he wouldn't have to kill her, she'd starve to death anyway.
Foolish child.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Retracing her path, Rin hurried on through the trees. She was already nervous for fear of her fish-thievery being discovered. And the forest was intimidating during the night in a way it could not be when the sun was up.
When she came to the clearing she was glad, but then she stopped, her eyes wide.
Rays of moonlight were filtering down onto the white-clad Youkai, and in his claws he was delicately holding the fish she had brought him. But he was not eating it. His tawny eyes were glinting at the edge of the clearing, where a lean young fox was standing in the foliage. The creature glanced at her, wavering, but it was hungry. Rin watched on in wonder.
The Youkai spoke without looking at her.
`Keep it. You are simply wasting it.'
And he tossed the fish at the fox.
The nimble creature caught it in one, and was gone with a swish of its tail.
After a pause, Rin looked down at the small meal she had brought. She was having hunger pains. But . . . but she could not live with herself if she took this, he was still injured, and he needed to eat!
Keeping her eyes on the undergrowth, she approached him, knelt, and set down the food and water.
The Youkai did not look at her, but he spoke, his voice toneless.
`Did you not hear what I just told you?'
Swallowing, Rin looked up at him with guilt in her large brown eyes. She mouthed again in an attempt at speaking, but all that came from her mouth was a soft, apologetic noise. She bowed, got to her feet, and hurried away, her head down.
The Youkai had not looked at her at all when she had been kneeling beside him, but he stared after the girl as she went away.
How the human mind worked, he could not fathom.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
 
Ume: Japanese plum tree.
 
Please forgive the fluff that keeps edging into this story, I'm too weak to fight it! That and I don't actually want to fight it . . . Reviews are highly appreciated, and I will be sure to thank everyone who leaves a comment at the start of the next chapter. Ha ha, yay for bribery! Yay for Sesshomaru and Rin! Yayness!
Til' next time!