InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Kingdom of the Buck ❯ Coming Home ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The girl started down the hill. The city was beyond the next ridge, at the mouth of the Buck River. On this side of the sharp, protective ridge-wall, a small village lay nestled in the trees. Cool air from the sea filled her coastal nostrils and gently, lovingly ruffled her shimmering raven hair.
As a cloud rolled across the unusually bright mid-spring sun, she glanced up and gave a regretful sign. The black line on the horizon promised a violent end in the peaceful weather the region had been afforded as of late.
Quickly coming back to herself, she hurried down the slope. Her master would be furious if she was not within the walls of the castle-keep by the nightfall of the fifth full day since her departure. Tonight. This was the fifth day since she had set out for Fort Morrison, a two-day journey north and slightly inland.
After a few minutes she reached the outskirts of the village. Now she abandoned her calm, open traveling style and clung close to the edges of buildings, lingered behind trees, and scampered swiftly and silently through the open spaces behind the houses and across deserted streets. Once or twice she was nearly spotted, and another she had to slink up to a dog so he could sniff her hand. She merged with the ever-growing shadows, carefully remaining downwind of any passers-by. Slowly the town faded behind. The very farthest house was at the bottom of the ridge, and just beyond flowed a small creek. She needed to make herself at least presentable before coming within view of the city, so she paused on the bank. Ticking off the days, she realized that the caravan was due to arrive today.
The caravan. The caravan carrying the infamous Hanyou Prince of the Western Lands, come to choose his bride. She had to shake her head, and pray that King Shrewd would live up to his name in this alliance.
She thoroughly scrubbed her hands and forearms, sighing with relief as five days worth of grime and caked blood gave way to reveal bare skin, slightly red after contact with the cold water. She continued to wash any parts of herself that were immediately visible, and quickly shedding her very weathered set of traveling clothes and donning a similar set, only clean. After carefully checking under and around her nails and giving her face one last refreshing splash, she rose. And froze.
A young boy, no older than fifteen stood before her, nearly trembling in fright. She quickly averted her gaze. The boy was about to ask her identity, or scream for help, or both, when before his very eyes she seemed to fade into the dark forest, like the last summer breeze giving way to harsher autumn. Like a ghost, she was gone.