InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Palm of her Hand ❯ Hesitation ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi.  I do not profit from these fics.
Hesitation by SunsetMiko [Drabble #182]

Theme: prompt
Genre: Romance/General
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Word Count: 400
Summary: Sesshoumaru is getting tired of waiting.
They'd stopped to rest, not because Kagome really wanted to, and certainly not for the reason Inuyasha suggested, that she was constipated of all things. No, they stopped because, after the hanyou's words, she'd sat him so hard he found it difficult to walk quite right.
Camping, however, didn't do Kagome much good. Usually, she would find the break relaxing, but as it was, now she was stuck with nothing to do but think. When they were traveling, she was constantly surveying her surroundings, searching for trouble or jewel shards. That, interspersed with occasional fights with demons, served to keep her busy at least some of the time. Sure, her thoughts had plagued her even then, but she'd been able to tuck them away occasionally. Now, not so much.
She'd tried to distract herself, talking with Miroku and Sango or playing with Shippo, but it wasn't enough. She still ended up stuck in the middle of her swirling thoughts of the palm reader's words, further complicated by her own observations.
-
Sesshoumaru was much in same boat as Kagome. He was tired of sitting back and watching her, plotting and planning. He was tired of waiting. He was tired of this game. He didn't want to be sitting in a tree just outside of her camp, his scent and aura masked, keeping an eye on her. He wanted to move on to the next part, where he would declare his interest and court her properly. Still, he found he couldn't, his worries prompting him to hold back. He wasn't sure how she'd react and he was not looking forward to being rejected, especially not in front of his half-brother.
He had never been turned down before, not once in his long, long life. Women threw themselves at him and begged him to take them, to rut them, to mate them. However, he had a feeling she would be different. Kagome would never beg him to be his mate. Hell, he wasn't sure she'd even allow him to court her at all. She was a challenge, which was part of why he wanted her in the first place.
Of course he could want her all he wanted, but he would never get her if he didn't take that first step. He had to actually talk to her, confront her, confess to her. And pray like hell she didn't laugh at him.