InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter VII ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
I'm sorry for the long wait its been very crazy in my life for the last few months
 
 
In the Shadow of Destiny
By
Firebird Phoenix
Chapter VII
 
 
 
Kagome knew she couldn't keep this pace up much longer, she was losing speed and the rider was catching up. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place. A ruthless soldier of Kane behind her, nothing but open space in front of her, Kagome's heart skipped a beat when she heard the horses hooves become so close behind her; taking the only choice left, Kagome suddenly veered off the path and ran strait into the Cursed Forest. Inside the forest, it didn't seem so terrible, massive pine trees stretched up from the ground cutting into the sky, blocking out the sun, and several old rotted trees lay decomposing on the ground, the ground was soft with years of fallen pine needles.
From what InuYasha had told Kagome about this forest she was surprised she didn't feel any malice from it, she felt peaceful instead, welcomed even. Directly ahead of Kagome's path was a huge fallen tree, she was going too fast to stop and she couldn't avoid it, her only option was jump it and pray her energy could last out. Kagome called up her last ounce of strength and sped up, and charged at the dead tree. Kagome curled her front hooves as close to her chest as possible pushing her back legs off the soft ground, Kagome's heart soared as she jumped threw the air, she felt as if she could spread wings and fly away. But the feeling was short lived, Kagome could feel her energy drain, the last burst of strength to speed up had drained her completely.
`No not now, please not yet.' Kagome pleaded, but it was futile, her body refused to listen to her mind, and in mid jump Kagome past out. Kagome changed back and crashed into the ground, InuYasha went flying into the woods and hit a large tree sending it crashing to the ground and Kagome who was going much faster then InuYasha, hit the ground and skipped along like a stone on the water, a Dragon Thistle bush slowed her down into a roll until she laid to rest under one of the few parts in the treetop that the sun could fully get threw.
*~~~*
InuYasha woke up with a large headache covered in moss and dirt, normally a fall like tat wouldn't have phased his much, but on this night it was different, the night of a new moon the night all half demons lose their power. The shadows were growing larger, sunset was coming InuYasha had to find Kagome and get her some place safe before the sun set. InuYasha knelt to the ground sniffing, looking for Kagome's scent, the only one with lavender mixed in. He followed the scent long the easy path of destruction Kagome left behind, he followed it to an open area covered in small flowers and moss. Kagome had lain there the flowers were bent from her weight but something was wrong. Kagome's scent wasn't alone, the scent of a horse and a rider were here as well mixed with Kagome's.
“Damn, the rider must have come into the woods, and taken Kagome in her weaken state.” Said InuYasha as he ran threw the woods following Kagome's scent. InuYasha was surprised when the scent didn't take him out of the woods but farther into them.
`Humans and demons were afraid of these woods so why would he take Kagome deeper into them?' Wondered InuYasha, “I'll ask him after I beat him up for taking Kagome,” Said InuYasha, he had forgotten about the Mark of Subjugation, his only concern was too save Kagome.
InuYasha ran threw the forest, heading deeper and deeper into the Cursed Forest. When he was told tales of the Cursed Forest he expected something more ominous, rotting dead trees covered in black moss, but not the haunting beauty he found. InuYasha's nostrils inhaled the scent of sweat, blood, and damp fur somewhere close by, he was close, and he could feel the sensual touch of Kagome's presence on his skin. But time was running out the sun would set soon and if the rider didn't camp, he might lose Kagome again. InuYasha glared at the rising shadows as if his prayers could stop them; he quickened his pace following the scent, it led him to a most remarkable place. InuYasha stared in awe, there hidden amongst ancient oak trees, the lights twinkled like stars between the trees, the riders scent led into the village it was obvious now that the rider wasn't working for Kane.
InuYasha jumped into one of the tall trees, the village was small twenty or so small huts, made of Burch trees, and grass roofs, a young man left his a hut, InuYasha's eyes grew wide in realization, his vision was blinded by pure unadulterated rage, even though he had only met the kind twice in his life he would never forget the sight of them. The young man wore a dark green tunic with a high fitted caller, and loose fitting strait legged pants and light brown boots. His delicate let masculine features, long brown hair kept in a ponytail at the base of his head, and revolting ears, long six inch ears that pointed out the side of his head, a retched Spirit Elf, the ones that helped cause all of InuYasha's problems, as far as he was concerned the world would be better off with out a few. InuYasha cracked his fingers he was going to find Kagome even if he had to kill everyone in the village to do it.
InuYasha leapt from his hiding in a blind fury, his fingers stretched out like a wild beasts, the young Spirit Elf stood petrified, staring at the snarling demon lunging toward him, InuYasha swiped his claws at the young elf, he could feel the warm blood on his hands, he turned and stared down ruthlessly at the quivering elf holding his bloody right shoulder, InuYasha looked into the elf's terrified eyes. And for the first time he truly saw the face of his foe.
`He's just a kid.' Thought InuYasha, this elf was no older then thirteen, something unexpected tugged at InuYasha's heart, guilt that he wanted this boy dead, he was far too young to understand the pain his people brought upon the world. InuYasha caught the scent of the Rider; he turned and left the elf, bleeding in the street. InuYasha lower his head as the shame of what he tried to do stirred in his soul. InuYasha walked the abandoned streets unnoticing the eyes following him; he found the horse parked in a small stable outside one of the huts, Kagome's and the Rider's scents led inside. InuYasha pushed open the wooden door, inside the small hut was the Rider he was hunting, he wore a dark blue tunic, and dark brown straight pants with black boots, his black hair was lighting with spits of grey. The Rider was an accursed Spirit Elf, InuYasha cracked his bloody figures, the Spirit Elf reached for his sword but InuYasha was fasted and grabbed the bastard elf's throat pinning him to the wall chocking him.
 
“Where's Kagome?” Demanded InuYasha, the Spirit Elf strained to respond, but InuYasha had cut of his wind pipe, his voice only came out as a hoarse whisper, the Spirit Elf's face started to turn purple, and his eyes started to roll into the back of his head, as InuYasha squeezed harder. The Spirit Elf pulled in InuYasha strong grip trying to release his throat, finally with a weak hand he reached up and pointed over to a bed in the far corner near the fire, lying there was Kagome. InuYasha dropped the Elf he would kill him later, he knelt over Kagome's body InuYasha could faintly here her labored breathing, he cupped the side of her face in his hand, Kagome's eyes slowly fluttered opened and she smiled when she saw InuYasha worried eyes looking down at her. InuYasha slowly helped her up and out of the hut, he wanted to make as much distance between them and the Spirit Elf village before he would be forced into his weak human form and couldn't defend Kagome.
“Wait,” said a raspy voice from the hut, InuYasha looked back with dangerous eyes daring the Elf to try anything, InuYasha had only spared his life because of Kagome it wont do it again.
“The forest is dangerous at night, that woman wont last the night in her condition. Stay here the night.” Suggested the Elf, InuYasha growled a low evil growl; he walked up and lifted the elf above his head by his collar.
“Stay here with you Spirit Elves, why should we trust you, your kind helped enslave an entire race.” InuYasha voice was filled with spite; he pushed the elf against the hut wall grabbing his throat, exposing his fangs as he spoke.
“We are slaves too.” The Elf Strained to speak, InuYasha smiled a mocking grin,
“Bah, your people slaves; don't make me laugh. If you're a slave where is your Mark of Subjugation?”
“Kane hold's our children prisoner.” InuYasha scowled at the Elf, telling such an obvious lie, the elf was probably trying to get them too stay the night so he could hand them over to Kane and collect the reward. How stupid did this bastard Elf think InuYasha was too think he would fall such a ridicules ploy.
“InuYasha, he's telling the truth,” whispered Kagome, InuYasha looked back at Kagome, she was watching the gathering Spirit Elves InuYasha let the Elf go, the elf fell to his knees gasping for air, he walked over and stood next to Kagome.
“See for yourself InuYasha, where are all the children?” Kagome asked, InuYasha finely took notice of the elves in the village, everyone was an adult, in a village of two-hundred elves there were only ten children. InuYasha looked on as fear gripped his heart, Kagome could sense the fear in his heart, she felt his heart drop with the setting sun; she was confused as why a sunset would bring him so much grief. Kagome watched in awe as InuYasha pulsed, his long silver hair turned black and his dog ears were replaced with human ears. Kagome stood in shock staring at InuYasha; she had heard rumors that a half demon would lose his demon ability on the night of the new moon but never imagined it would be true.
“I think we should listen to him InuYasha.” InuYasha growled lightly and crossed his arms, InuYasha was like putty in Kagome's hands, one look into the depths of her deep chocolate eyes, and it melted his cold heart.
“Whatever.” Grumbled InuYasha, Kagome sat at the table of the Spirit Elf as InuYasha leaned against the wall.
“My name is Gabriel; I'm the town elder here in the Hidden Spirit Village.”
“Cut the crap and explain why I shouldn't kill you right now?” demanded InuYasha, Gabriel sighed deeply, Kagome could sense a great sadness and loss inside Gabriel, his souls has been broken many times. Gabriel pulled up his right sleeves and revealed three scars.
“Kane wasn't the one to begin taking our children. Two hundred years ago, the human King of Lockhart, King Seth, went the Spirit Elf King, King Odin and asked him to make a way to subjugate the demons into his control. King Odin refused, this enraged King Seth, so he kidnapped King Odin's only daughter, and held her hostage demanding the Elf King help him. King Odin was forced to create the Mark of Subjugation, and after every demon was marked King Seth refused too keep his end of the agreement instead he scared King Odin to remind him his daughter would be killed if he didn't do as King Seth instructed. King Seth sent out his army and kidnapped the Spirit Elf children of every village leaving only ten for each village, and when a new child is born another will be taken scaring the parents reminding what's at stake if they consider rebellion.” Explained Gabriel, his eyes were hidden by the shadows of his bangs. Kagome could sense the torment his soul felt, it felt like it was her own; suddenly her minds-eye was pulled into a vision.
 
*~~~*
Kagomestoodoutside Gabriel's hut, a dozen soldiers stood outside his home each held a shield with the Royal Crest, the crest was a Griffin reared up on it back legs holding a sword above its head in one paw, and a spear at its side with the other. A much younger Gabriel was on his knees held down by two soldiers each holding a sword to his throat, a woman was held next to him by a single soldier, her long blonde hair was wild, thrashing as she tried to escape the soldier's grip as a third solider carried a child from their home, the little girl kicked the soldier, and screamed for her parents.
“You can't do this.” Yelled Gabriel,
“You seem to think of yourselves as free beings, remember if one of you rebel against us all the children will be killed. We can do whatever we want.” Said the solider in a cold emotionless tone,
“No, bring her back!” cried Gabriel as the soldiers left with his daughter,
“Beth,” he called into the night, one of the soldiers holding him held out his arm and pulled back his sleeve, and cut his forearm, then threw him to the ground, Gabriel sat on the ground holding his bleeding arm as his daughter cries for help faded into the distance.
*~~~*
Kagome was pulled back into reality, she noticed that Gabriel had three scars on his arm in her vision it was his first, Gabriel noticed Kagome looking at his scares, he smiled sadly.
“After Kane took over he was as keen as the Lockhart King to keep up the tradition of taking our children, but he is more ruthless, shortly after Kane conquered Mika he came to take my third child, my wife was dispirit not to lose another child, she begged Kane not to take our son but Kane took him anyway and killed my wife in cold blood. Your kind is not the only one to have suffered InuYasha; I have lost my entire family because of this subjugation.” InuYasha didn't look at the elf, all his life he hated the Spirit Elves, he knew they were profiting off of his pain and suffering he wanted to kill every last one of them, and now he couldn't blame them for something they were forced to do
“Why did you help me in the forest?” Kagome asked Gabriel smiled his eyes glimmered with a spark of hope.
“I can't fight Kane directly but if anyone fleeing Kane enters this forest, I'll help them get to the Zen Kingdom, it's the best I can do to repay the sins of my people.”
 
End Chapter;
 
To be honest I wasn't sure when to end this chapter but after I couldn't figure out anything after this last part I chose to end it.