InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter X ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I wish to apologize for the long awaited update; I moved and lost the flash drive I keep this story on. I was able to find it last night and have been writing contently to post chapter 10. I wish to thank all those to read and reviewed my story I was starting to wonder if anyone liked it, so without further delay I give you Chapter 10 enjoy and don't forget to review.
 
 
 
In the Shadow of Destiny
By
FireBird Phoenix
Chapter X
 
 
 
Finn was weighing his odds of victory, they were outnumbered two-to-one but both Tristan and Caleb were leading this group; the two most wanted men in all of Mika was here in front of him, ready to be taken. But they were outnumbered and the dragons' were useless as long as the Dragon Thistle Bush burned nearby, his chances of winning were slim. Caleb hoisted the unconscious woman over his shoulder; Tristan had hit the wench over the head knocking her unconscious, but before Finn could make a move Caleb and his men slipped into the dust and vanished. Rage consumed Finn he had let his pray escape plus Tristan and Caleb, he kicked the defenceless InuYasha repeatedly Finn had kicked him thirty times before his rage subsided. Finn rolled the bloody InuYasha on his back and lifted his sword above his head, with every intention of killing him. But before he could commit the deed a thought struck him. It was obvious that the wench cared for this half-breed deeply is was possible that he was her lover; Finn could use this abomination as a means to lure out Kagome, or force her to surrender herself on the promise of his safety.
 
*~~~*
 
Kagome woke several hours later her head pounding, slowly everything came into focus she was in a small log hut; she could smell the damp moss from the logs around her. Kagome sat on the cold wooden floor; her hands were bound behind a pillar that was attached to the roof's support beams, she twisted her wrists trying to loosen the tight rope that dug into her skin, but it was no use the knots were too tight. Kagome tried to change into a mouse but a burning pain in her chest forced her to stop.
 
`Why can't I change?' she wondered to herself, she looked around the room it was barren except for a vile of blood nailed to the wall by the door; immediately Kagome knew it was Kane's blood, she banged her head against the pillar angrily.
 
`Why didn't I listen to InuYasha and leave the Spirit Elves village when he wanted.' Because of her trust in the Spirit Elves she and InuYasha were captured by Kane; she was certain Kane would blame Lord Akira's death on InuYasha somehow and sentence him to death to punish her for escape, after he tortured her. In Kagome's visions she'd seen Kane's cruelty but she could sense he was capable of far worse, which he saved for Kagome's return.
 
Kagome could sense someone coming, but with Kane's blood so close she couldn't tell who is was or what they wanted. Fear swelled in her chest, her heart raced as she heard the guards outside greet the person, the door slowly opened Kagome swallowed hard trying to hide her fear. The light from the outside blinded her turning her head too shielding her eyes. Once the door closed and she could see again Kagome looked up, Tristan stood in the doorway staring down at her. The mixture of light from the torches and the shadows they created gave him a frightening look; Kagome tried not to show it, but she was terrified of Tristan. Those hateful murderess eyes were the same eyes that haunted her for three years in Kane's Prison; those same eyes stared down at her whenever Kane was angry and it always ended with the same result. Tristan pulled a knife from his belt, Kagome's fear intensified she was sure he was going to slit her throat, she closed her eyes as he walked over, but Tristan cut her bonds instead, and retied her hands in front of her instead. Kagome stared at Tristan confused he knew she helped Kane stop their plans and that she was an Oracle.
 
“What did you get, for helping Kane enslave our people?” Tristan spat, his voice was so angry it startled Kagome, before she could answer Tristan punched her across the face demanding she answer him. Kagome tried to pick herself up but Tristan punched her, again demanding her to answer him; but Kagome never had the chance to answer. Tristan punched and kicked her again and again asking her questions, then stopped asking altogether only punching, and kicking her. But Kagome never tried to answer, or fight back, or shield the strikes, she did ensure the enslavement of this Land and its people; this whole war was caused because of her. Kane invaded Mika coming for her, he needed her to conquer the world, and bring eternal darkness to world. Kagome had blocked out the world, the button that closed her Ao-Dai and shown her Mark of Sealing had torn open but Tristan hadn't noticed it. All he was concerned with was taking his revenge; Kagome heard a man's voice yelling for him to stop, she watched as he grabbed Tristan and threw him back to the floor.
 
“Why did you stop me Caleb, she's Kane's whore!” Tristan screamed as he climbed to his feet, Caleb punched him; Tristan fell back holding stomach he looked up at Caleb angrily.
 
“You see that mark; it's the Mark of Sealing. It seals an Oracle's power and with Kane's crest marked over head; it's just as good as any Mark of Subjugation. Kagome was forced to help him.” Tristan looked at the Mark, he wasn't sure if he didn't see it or didn't care when he was attacking her. Kagome was lying on the floor bloody and bruised, her blood pooling around her like a halo. She looked like the slave's he'd rescue from cruel masters, ones who delighted in torturing their slave's. Tristan put his hand over his mouth and tasted blood; he looked down at them they were covered in Kagome's innocent blood. Kagome was forced to help Kane if she refused he'd torture her. She wasn't responsible for their lost battles. Kagome could have told him this if he had only given her a chance, but he didn't want to hear her excuses. He wanted her to pay for the lost lives of the Resistance Soldiers, his brother's imprisonment, and his father's death; he wanted Kane to pay. But he let his rage consume him, and ended up hurting an innocent woman because of it.
 
“What have I done?” Tristan whispered to no one, consumed with guilt and confusion Tristan ran from the hut, as Caleb called after him. But Caleb let him go he needed to tend to Kagome her survival was more important than Tristan's guilt; Tristan had gone behind his back and put her here against his orders.
 
“Everything will be ok Kagome, just hang on.” Kagome smiled she could sense his kindness; it was so familiar and welcomed. Caleb carried Kagome to his personal Hut and prayed he reached her in time; the Healer had told him that if he waited any longer Kagome would be dead but she'd recover. The first week was the toughest, infection had set in. The Healer said she should have been dead from infection but refused to die. Caleb smiled proudly at her persistence and refused to leave her side. Though she looked so peaceful when she slept Caleb assumed Kagome's dreams were filled with nightmares. She would moan and thrash in her sleep calling out InuYasha's name telling him to run away or asking them not to hurt him; Caleb remembered how hard she fought against his hold to reach the man surrounded by the Huntsmen, how she cried his name, she must have loved him deeply to fight like that. Caleb knew she would live, she was a fighter, he could tell by one look at her, and she had something to live for; the half-breed, she won't let herself die as long as he was in danger.
 
*~~~*
 
Kane stared at the half-breed inside the cell, the abomination sat in a shadowy corner staring at him. His eyes were angry and hateful, he looked him directly in the eye not something a slave would do. It had been three weeks and Kagome has shown no sign of showing up. Kane was figuring he could torture the beast to death and provide himself with some entertainment, but something told him the half-breed was going to be useful. The way Finn described how Kagome fought to get to his side told him something, most likely the resistance was keeping her from coming here. A twisted smiled crossed Kane's lips as he stared at the worthless slave.
 
“She's not coming you know, she going to leave you here to rot; why don't you save yourself some misery and just give up.” Suggested Kane
 
“Keh, don't waste your breath, I will never betray Kagome you bastard!” growled InuYasha baring his fangs at him, InuYasha tried to lunge at Kane but his chains stopped him and a crippling pain from his Mark. Kane wasn't surprised by his actions every time he was near the creature he would lunge at him even if he never got close or suffered crippling pain he would always try.
 
“I never said anything about betraying Kagome; I can see you care for her a great deal so why don't you help her by helping me return her to where she belongs.” Kane asked smoothly, InuYasha spit on his face and snarled.
 
“She belongs with me in the Zen Kingdom!” The venom in InuYasha's voice almost made Kane jump back, but he knew above all else he had to hold his ground; Kane merely chuckled at InuYasha attempt to protect his mate hiding his fear.
 
“It must eat you up it side knowing I was her first. She is an amazing woman, the pleasure alone is amazing. I've been wondering what to do with her once the Resistance is finely crushed for good. I could take her as my bride, which I was planning to do; but now I don't think I want to give her any freedom as my queen. So think I'm going to make her my personal concubine, every night she will fulfill my pleasures, pour my wine and gently feed me grapes, wait on me hand and foot.” Taunted Kane
 
“You lay one hand on Kagome and I'll rip your heart out Kane, I swear it!” Snarled InuYasha, he spat at Kane as he spoke, his rage overflowing, Kane chuckled excitedly.
 
“Oh I don't think so; you see I'm not going to kill you, you pathetic half-breed I'm going to leave you alive. You'll spend the rest of your life remembering what happened to your love, who you failed. I'm even going to sent you weakly reports in what's happening in every glorious detail, until it's so unbearable you beg to die, but you won't die not until Kagome has finally past at a ripe old age, and is of no use to me then I'll let you die together, side by side in my torture chamber.” Kane spoke so happily, it made InuYasha's stomach-churn with disgust as Kane described his plans. InuYasha envisioned the ways he would kill him, ripping his heart out, tearing out his throat with his bare hands, so many possibilities, even if it took him a hundred years he would kill Kane at all costs. Once Kane left InuYasha was able to concern himself with the only thing his cared about was if Kagome was alright or not.
 
InuYasha held his legs close to him, trying to keep warm, the damp-cold cut into his bones. The windowless cell was dark. InuYasha could only make-out shapes with help from the little light given off from the torches in the guards' station down the hall. InuYasha could feel his body shivering, he was used to the cold, when he lived under Lord Akira he would often spend the night tied between two posts. But he knew he wasn't shivering because of cold, he ached for Kagome, everything about her made his senses run wild with desire, he wanted to be with her again in the wilderness of Mika, where the world's rules didn't matter.
 
`I'll return Kagome, and kill Kane to avenge you, I swear it.' InuYasha leaned his head back against the stone wall closing his eyes content, knowing he'll keep his promise. InuYasha's eyes shot open scanning the area looking for anyone. Suddenly he felt warm, his body stopped shivering, he could feel a presence in the room but no one was there. Something touched his left arm, wrapping around it, holding on to him. He stared into the darkness he knew this presence, this touch, it was Kagome, no one else could make his skin burn like fire. At first InuYasha thought he was seeing things but something was starting to materialize next to him, it looked like a shimmering cloud, slowly it started to take shape. His eyes went wide leaning her head on his arm was a transparent Kagome, InuYasha's blood ran cold and fear gripped his heart.
 
“Kagome.” her name ran off his lips in barely a whisper, she looked up at him smiling, InuYasha cupped the side of her face with his hand, and Kagome closed her eyes and held InuYasha's hand.
 
“Kagome are you dead.” Kagome looked up surprised, for the first time sense he was cruelly ripped from his mother's arms as a child, tears fell from InuYasha's eyes, and Kagome looked up at InuYasha she smiled sadly but her eyes held hope. Her transparent hand caressed InuYasha's face whipping away the tears; her touch was so gentle and warm, it calmed the demons raging in InuYasha's soul.
 
“I love you Kagome, I promise no matter where I'm taken I will always come back to you.” InuYasha spoke in a whisper, as if understanding him, Kagome's smile brightened; she leaned in and lightly kissed him on the cheek. And then just as quickly as she came she was gone, but a faint whispering wind hung in the air encircling him warming his frigged body. `I love you' it said, InuYasha's determination burned like wildfire, he would escape this hell hole and take his rightful place by Kagome's side, he swore it on his father's grave.
 
*~~~*
 
`Everything is falling into place perfectly.' Kane thought eagerly, quiet footfalls fell into step with him.
 
“Report Finn?”
 
“Everything is going as you planed sir; we are awaiting your further orders.”
 
“Excellent, take your team and Andrius's regiment with you, and be sure to bring back a few prisoners for public executions and I want Caleb and Tristan taken alive. The pleasure of killing those two is mine-alone.” A dark pleasure flickered in Kane's eyes, licking his dry lips he could almost taste their blood. Finn's footfalls fell out of step to gather his men and lead an assault on the Rebel camp.
 
*~~~*
 
Finn's soul was on fire, the hours just before a battle were always the most exciting. Fear and excitement mixed as one, creating an intoxicating emotion. Andrius and his Drakmen regiment arrived at first light; the camp was just beginning to stir, most of the soldiers were still asleep. It was the monthly check of the Oracle's village so Finn knew all the Rebels were in the camp. Finn had always known the Resistance was held up in the abandoned Oracle Village, ever sense Kane asked him to accompany the soldiers scouting mission there. But Finn kept that important information to himself; encase Kane ever decided to betray him.
 
The Drakmen had already confirmed the scents of Caleb, Tristan, and the girl was in the camp, now the time was right to begin their assault. Finn pulled his sword from its sheath, raising it above his head and slicing it down through the air giving the signal to attack.
 
*~~~*
 
Panic swelled in Kagome's chest, fear griped her heart with its icy claws, something was terribly wrong, and her heart was racing as she stepped from her tent into the morning light. Everything looked normal in the Camp, the smell of cooking eggs made Kagome's stomach ache, regardless of how calm everything seemed she still knew it wasn't. Kagome's heart jumped into her throat and raced even more, there was no time for doubt she had to find Caleb and convince him something was wrong. But before she could find him an ox horn sounded, she turned on her heels and seen the distance hidden in the morning sunrays was an army of Drakmen and circling in the sky were the Huntsmen.
 
The Resistance Soldiers seen them as soon as the Huntsmen hit the air, they scrambled like frightened mice gathering weapons in some futile attempt to protect themselves. They were outnumbered 10 to 1, their destruction was without question.
 
Tristan ran from his tent sword in hand, the horrendous battle cry of the charging Drakmen rang in his ears; they swooped into the camp like a pack of wild dogs. There was no time to think it was either fight or die, gripping his sword Tristan charged bravely into battle, he hacked and slashed he way through the Drakmen. His sword soaked in their hybrid blood; with the wounds he inflicted any normal man would be dead but these were not normal men, the Blood of Dragon's flowed through their veins. Tristan stood surrounded; his sword heavy in his hands, covered in dirt and blood. The Drakmen snickered and hissed at him they taunted him, lashing their large claw like hands at him if he got to close. With one hit they could easily rip his limbs from his body; Tristan knew it was his destiny to die this day but he refused to go without bringing as many of these soulless bastards along with him. A daunting stillness fell over the Drakmen; a much larger built Drakmen moved threw them with an air of authority, human-teeth adorned his belt, he wore a leather vest stained with blood, and dirty dark brown pants. The leader curled up his lip revealing sharp fanged teeth, a low growl rumbled from the back of his throat. Tristan held the Drakman's gaze; the lizards golden eyes flickered with delight and blood lust. Tristan gripped his sword tighter and swallowed the lump in his throat.
 
“Lord Kane wants to kill this one himself, ensure he lives.” The Drakmen swarmed over Tristan within in seconds he was thrown to the ground, they viciously punched and beat him ensuring not to kill him, when they finally released Tristan he lay face down bruised and bloody in a puddle of blood.
 
*~~~*
 
Kagome ran through the chaos of battle, logic gave way to instinct. All she was concerned with was getting away from the carnage, the fear, pain, and pleasure overwhelmed Kagome's senses. She ran unconcerned with the happenings around her, suddenly something hit her, she didn't know where it had come from or what is was only that she had to get away. Kagome scrambled away crawling on her hands and knees; a strong grip caught her collar and yanked her up, her eyes wild she looked into the face of her attacker, a tall dark haired man, with dark tanned skin stood before her, he adorned black armour, brilliant green eyes were hidden under his helmet, they were so sad, guilt ridden for crimes he was forced to commit.
 
“I'm sorry,” his soul cried, before darkness consumed Kagome. Andrius carried Kagome's unconscious body over to Finn and a horde of Drakmen surrounding a large caged wagon. He wished he could flee with the woman but the Huntsmen circled over head and Kane still held Niele like a noose around his neck. The Battle had been won; but this was no battle, it was a slaughter. Though the Rebel's fought bravely they were outnumbered, out of the two hundred camped here twenty survived, and they would all be executed within the week. Except for Caleb and Tristan, Kane was ensure their deaths would be slow and painful, Andrius felt sorry for them, he'd seen Kane's sadistic cruelty first hand it wasn't something to be taken loosely.
 
“Very good Andrius, you've captured the girl, Kane's will be pleased.” Said Finn triumphantly, Andrius didn't respond he just placed Kagome in the wagon, down the way a Drakmen dragged the bloody Tristan Lockhart toward them. The boy was still young in Andrius eyes, not much older than him when he was enlisted by Kane. Andrius felt his hopes for his sister's freedom crumble with the victory, the Drakmen and Huntsmen cheered around him, the Drakmen collected the dead to feed to their young. A malevolent presence fell over the smouldering camp, probably the spirits of the dead beginning to wonder looking for the doorway to the afterlife. Before Kane, the Spirits would be drown to the Spirit Forest and then the Spirit Elves would guild to the afterlife; but even that practice was on a steady decline ever-since King Seth kidnapped the elf children and forced the adults to create the Mark's of Subjugation.
 
Andrius rode alongside the caged wagon, the woman he'd captured leaned against the wooden bars, her dull hopeless eyes staring at the scenery. Andrius had seen those eyes before, when his sister was first captured she stared out like that; his heart wrenched for the poor woman. None of the other woman he'd brought to Blackheart City reminded him of Niele as much as this one and his soul cried for each-one; with each person Andrius brought a piece of him died. But he had made a promise to his parents to protect Niele, and he'd protect her from the horrors of war no matter the cost. As if reading his thoughts the woman looked at Andrius and smiled a sad soft smile, she mouthed to him. `I forgive you; I know you're forced to do this.' Her forgiving gaze was far worse than the venomous glares he was accustomed too. Andrius didn't deserve the forgiveness she offered him; shifting uncomfortably in his saddle Andrius retreated to the back of the convoy, unable to purge his mind of her gaze.
 
*~~~*
 
Kagome, Tristan, and Caleb along with rest of the surviving Resistance members were paraded through Blackheart City in chains. It was a grand event, great drummers walked before them, with Finn, his men, and Andrius riding magnificent dragons. The Entire city was there, Kagome could sense their hope dying; it all she could do just to keep their overwhelming despairs at bay. Kagome had never seen Blackheart City in daylight before, it was a marvellous city; they pasted threw the market, merchant-shops lined the road built from wood and clay with slate roofs. Kagome had never seen so many different shops crammed into one place before; beyond the three layers of shops were homes, moderately one story homes built from the same materials as the shops. The castle itself seemed to loom over the smaller buildings, most of the guards gathered around to watch the parade; one threw rotten fruit at Tristan's head. Finely they past threw the castle gates; Kagome was relieved with her powers weakened even the few yards between her and the people was enough. Kagome looked up, her dreadful prison loomed over her, it seemed too scar the heavens. Kagome, Tristan, and Caleb were led to the back of the castle, where a gallows and three nooses waited. Tristan's expression stiffened, he held his head high like a prince, Kane waited by the gallows.
 
“This does not scare me tyrant, I am not afraid to die!” Tristan shouted at the top of his lungs as if his strong voice would frighten away his fears. Kane roared with laughter, his men follow suit. Kane casually strolled over to Tristan looking his dead in the eyes.
 
“These nooses are not for you, your pesky Resistance has caused me too much trouble for you to die to easily. No this is for someone else.” Kagome paid Kane no heed, she was watching Andrius, and unlike his comrades he wasn't enjoying this, to judge from his expression he hated it. Suddenly Kane grabbed Kagome's jaw and forced her to look at him, he smiled at her, oh how Kagome wished she could change and rip that smiled from his face.
 
“Oh, why so sad pet, you served your master well, even if you didn't know it.” His smile haunted her and the gleam of joy that sparked in his dark eyes sent shivers down her spine. “After all, serving your master is all a slave lives for.” Kane jerked her head away and wiped his hands together getting any feeling of Kagome's skin out of his palms. “Your escape was a mockery to my rule, but the return home was inevitable; after all I did let you escape to allow you to remain free.” Kagome looked at Kane with confusion and skepticism in her eyes.
 
“Didn't you wonder why your escape was so easy?” Kane roared with laughter when he saw the disbelief flash in her eyes, “I allowed you to escape.” Kagome's heart sunk, she helped destroy her own chance of freedom, but determined not to give Kane the satisfaction of her suffering, Kagome hid her sorrow and held her head high. Kane gently cupped the side of her face like a long lost lover.
 
“There is defiance in your eyes Kagome; we'll have to fix that.” Kagome ripped her chin from Kane's hand; Kane scowled and swiftly struck her across the face.
 
“It's going to be a pleasure to break you again my dear.” Said Kane joyously,
Kagome glared at Kane, with her short weeks of freedom Kagome had gained a new strength, a desire to live a life with InuYasha. As if on cue three prisoners, Kagome's heart leapt to her throat.
 
“I had planned to let the half-breed live, and enjoy his suffering, knowing he could never save the woman he loved, but this is much more amusing.” A twisted grin crossed Kane's face, he relished in Kagome's sorrowful expression.
 
“InuYasha!” Kagome cried, tears slipping down her cheeks, she watched helpless as her love was lead to the gallows. One of the men fought against his captures and pushed them off the raised platform, but the brave rebellion was quickly subdued and the man was dragged up to the nooses again with a bag over his head. Kagome tried to look away but couldn't, her heart broke and her mind raced.
 
`I have to do something; I must save InuYasha, but how.' Kagome fell to her knees and wept praying with every ounce of her being for a miracle. She heard Kane laughing taunting her of how he'll dangle; Kagome's sorrow gave way to fury. She braced the palm of her hand and looked up and then......
 
End Chapter
 
What will happen will InuYasha die or be saved my some miracle. And who are the other doomed men? Read the next chapter of In the Shadow of Destiny to find out. And don't forget to review.