InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incubus Ambition ❯ Merging ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 1:
×
Merging
BROOKS HIGHSCHOOL SLOWLY CREPT INTO SIGHT, but instead of a school, it looked a bit more like a prison.
A dark haired girl sitting in the passenger seat could see the main entrance already. The outside littered with students, and over half of them she couldn't recognize. This particular day was cloudy and the rain lingered heavily in the air. The clouds were tinged a grayish purple and everything took on a much more depressing type of mood, a perfect match for Kagome's self as she stepped out of the car and onto the sidewalk freckled with raindrops.
Merging high schools meant dealing with new people, new teachers and having to squeeze through a sea of teenagers before the `considerate' amount of three minutes were up. But then the bell rings and you arrive late, of course. Then the teacher will give you that stare, and you can just tell what he or she is thinking:
`How dare you come late to my class, I was just about to take attendance and could have missed you—and that would mean going back into my grade book and marking you present, what a waste of time. Leave the latest class early to get to mine, because my class is more important than any of the others.'
After this short rant to her or himself, he or she would then act as if you personally stuck a stick up his or her ass for the rest of the class period. Pathetic, and rather not much worth the derision.
Kagome had taken notice that male teachers never get too angry about this particular situation, especially if it happens to be a good-looking teenage girl that just hit puberty, making her curves resemble the shape of an hourglass: that very special time when her bosoms inflate from an A cup to a C cup. But that moment for her has long passed.
Women teachers, on the other hand, unless they are half decent looking, are a bunch of bitches—to be blunt enough. The funny thing is, is that they know it, and love towering over some unsuspecting teenager for whispering or, whatever. Basking in the misery one can cause others, now that is what one can call true evil.
THE TALL DARK HAIRED GIRL STEPPED INTO HER classroom and looked around. Teens had accumulated into specific groups, the regular classifications of a high school community. She actually spotted some of her own classmates from her old school and could see two of her closer friends surrounded by other recognizable faces that she could not fit a name to.
In other words, if you saw a face you've seen before, for that class period, you're best friends. Then you leave and do the same in every subject to come, until finally you find where you stand, where others stand, and then squeeze yourself into your rightful place. No one can handle being a loner now a-days.
She let go of a breath and smiled when she spotted the educator.
Well look at that, a male teacher, she thought, content with not having an overpowering, menstruating female teacher. Unless this man had set his life's proceedings in being a male chauvinist, or in other words an asshole, then Kagome would be happy with a nice old bat.
She started towards her friends, and as she did so, she noticed that about every boy in the class had an eye on her. She met their stares with a cruel slight of her own and they immediately backed off thinking the worst. Maybe she was lesbian, now that was always a delightful thought for all men and their fantasies.
Do I have something on my face, or what? She asked herself inwardly mocking the boys. She took a seat by her girl friends.
Kagome was not a stupid girl, she knew her frame was petite, her breasts were a perfect 34 C and her jeans fit her apple bottom rather nicely and she also knew her face wasn't bad on the eyes either. She by no means flaunted her figure or her beauty. However, she wished that for once maybe someone could see past these things, but not always, because her attributes could easily get her far in life. That's how it is in the movies.
Her friends smiled over at her, both good-looking females. She already had an organized group of friends, which consisted of pretty girls with random personalities and an assorted group of jocks.
These people had slowly tugged her into this classification of a group over a long period of time, starting in the middle of grade school when cliques began to categorize themselves. It was probably because she had never been too interested in classifying herself, or others, into specific groupings, as if she were some kind of breed. But also most people say they don't do something when they do it every chance they get without noticing it. Hypocrites.
Both of the girls were attractive and well dressed. They seemed out of place with the random people around them, who for some reason did not seem as well kept.
They perked up, stopping their conversation when they spotted Kagome, physically showing their relief of not having to deal with another person who was recognizable, yet having a questionable name status.
Kagome returned their welcoming smile when she sat down. Yes, the wretchedness of women, especially the ones with noses in the air and a walk of triumph when there is absolutely none to be had. This, Kagome guessed was how most of her friends and even herself looked in the eyes of others. It didn't bother her though, she had her place by now, and so did everyone else, and that is the end of it.
Before the girl's could verbally communicate, the teacher called the class's attention and introduced himself.
“Alright class,” he said as the classroom's noise decreased, “I'm going to take attendance. When I say your name, you need to raise your hand, yell, or something. This way I can find out exactly who is who,” he mumbled the last bit and seemed slightly uninterested. Things get a tad-bit less exciting after a person does something repetitively for a decade.
This man stood at the front of the class and slipped a pair of spectacles onto his nose before squinting at the clipboard he held in front of him.
“I'm not too familiar with the lot of you.” He mumbled, again, peeking over the rims of his glasses to view the bulk of students. Everyone stared back at him blankly.
He flipped through a few papers before clearing his throat and beginning at the top of the list of names. On this list were Kagome's two friends: Samantha Black and Yuri Dakora. They both flashed their white smiles and raised their hands as he did so.
“Hmm, okay good, and Kagome Higourashi?” He questioned searching the room. She too also raised her hand and flashed a smile.
“Present.” She said.
He nodded and continued. The class had taken up whispering now and Kagome felt free to look over and address her friends.
“Hey,” she said in a quiet voice.
“Hey girl,” Yuri smiled. “See anyone familiar yet?”
She was a petite female, with short, chopped, brown hair. Kagome could remember back when they first met in third grade. Their grade-school teacher had paired them together for some assignment. She couldn't even remember what it was. They snickered at the other children, commenting on things that an adult would find petty and not very amusing. The way little girls go on about who they want to marry and who they could tease. But ever since that day Yuri and Kagome have been inseparable, even their moms shared a similar relationship.
“Yeah Yuri, since I have been here a whole, what, ten minutes?” Kagome said sarcastically and then smiled. She looked up in thought.
“Actually, I saw Sean run past me in the hall, but I think he was too busy screwing around to notice me though.” She said laughing. “He was after a couple of girls, like usual. But other than him, I just kept to myself. I wasn't much interested in anything but making it on time to my class.”
Yuri obviously did not find this answer very interesting and after a moment of silence Kagome directed the conversation towards her friend instead of herself.
“You were talking to some boy, Will, right?” she began, “How are things with you and him?”
Yuri rolled her eyes and made a sound of disgust. “I have no idea what you are talking about. Will who?”
“Well, out with it then.” Kagome demanded, and turned to fully-face her friend. “You were just expressing your obsession over this guy to me just last week.”
“No way,” Yuri said as if Kagome had just insulted her. Kagome then moved herself into a comfortable listening position: hunched over with her jaw resting in the palm of her hand. Yuri tended to ramble, it took her twice as long to finish a story than anyone else she knew. She began, “I was never obsessed,” she sighed and directed her interest to something invisible on her jeans. “But I'm not talking to him anymore; let's just leave it at that.”
Kagome smiled and shook her head. “Yuri, I know you want to tell me what happened, so you might as well!” Funny how men and women fill their time with conversations about things so different, a group of boys just a few feet away were going on about how they were going to try and build a dirt bike. Who in the world would want to do that? Just go buy one.
Yuri shrugged and then leaned into the gap that separated their desks ready to dish the story with a profuse amount of abrupt hand movements.
“Okay, well you know I was hanging out with Will and it was getting kind of serious,” Yuri started but then hesitated looking everywhere except towards Kagome as if she had all of a sudden become very exhausted.
“Yes,” she smiled and nodded. She acted ignorant for Yuri's sake, pretending she hadn't heard this juicy gossip about her already from one of the other girls.
Kagome half listened as she looked around the room to observe her new surroundings. The story consisted of Yuri, her best friend, falling for such and such, who had just broken up with so and so. . .
The teacher had taken his place behind a large brown desk at the front of the room as he continued calling through the names. The other teenagers already moved into different seats and started fooling around. The chatter in the room slowly grew louder as more of the student's names were marked off. This motioned the boys to show off and the girls to put their heads together and gawk at them.
After Yuri and such and such had gotten comfortable Miss so and so came back and whisked Such away, leaving poor Yuri behind. This, of course, was to be expected.
A tragedy—but not really. So many girls cry and ruin themselves over a boy when there is an easy solution. Let go. Love is a need and women naturally try to find something they need in a man immediately. Men have always been flakey creatures. They have this switch connected to their brain that women don't have. This switch is always turned on, making the man want to reproduce. This is Kagome's theory.
Kagome was about to turn her attention back to Yuri, but someone in the far back corner of the room caught her eye. He was watching two people playing a game that insisted of shooting spitballs at one another.
Who is that, and what's he doing sitting all alone? Kagome couldn't help but think and narrowed her eyes with sudden interest. Maybe his friends aren't in this class, she inwardly answered her own question.
He had a dark, serene, drawn-back look to him. She tried to think of a clique that would best suit him, but none came to mind. Hypocrite! Why did she immediately have to try to categorize him into some type of `clique'?
The unsettled boys around him could not compete when stood alongside of this newfound creature. He was beautiful. A new species altogether and Kagome studied him like a scientist-- with his perfectly cut muscle showing through his perfectly fitted, gray, long sleeved shirt. He was a piece of art, chiseled to perfection.
Messy blonde hair splayed in every direction, it was straight and Kagome noticed that his highlights were natural making his hair look white—not even white but silver. How odd. His skin resonated the natural healthy look of a Caucasian skin color. The messy hair whipped this way and that, but just right, making him look so unbelievably cool, for lack of a better word.
She watched him turn his head and look out the window. She wanted to cut him out of the scene and hang him up in her locker. He was that beautiful. His facial expression showed that he would rather be anywhere other than in this educational prison; and as she gazed longingly at his more than likable features. She could not help but feel pity for him, the kind of pity one feels for a caged animal that belongs in the wild. Before she knew it, she was lost in his person and Yuri's story turned to a murmuring static in the background.
The teacher cleared his throat and called one of the last names scribbled into his attendance book, “and Alex, uh,” he paused trying to pronounce the last name correctly.
“Present,” interrupted the young man in a gruff voice. Kagome sighed, quickly lodging the name in a safe place, and then dwelled upon it. She was thinking about maybe setting his voice as her ringtone.
Alex.
She still had an eye locked onto his features. He shot a look towards her, suddenly, as if he heard her inwardly call his name.
He gazed at her suspiciously, making her heart skip a beat and her breath catch itself in her throat.
She blushed.
He gave her a studious glance. Kagome's heart convulsed in her chest in reaction and her muscles tightened in her throat from the sudden wave of nervousness. She didn't look away, why should she? She was very good looking, why should she be intimidated by this kid? But this isn't why she wasn't looking away. She couldn't make herself take her eyes off of him as if she had no control over her muscles.
“Hello, Kagome?” hummed a familiar voice. Kagome blinked twice before looking over at Yuri who was waving her hand in front of her face. His spell left pricking in her skull.
Kagome was a bit embarrassed, and reacted like most people caught off guard as they were daydreaming. She played it off as if she had been listening the entire time but Yuri balked, her expression snapping from slight worry to irritation in a flash.
“Have you been listening to a word I've been saying?” She asked heatedly.
Kagome didn't have to respond because the question asked was really just asked outright for a definite answer to her friends irritable thoughts.
“You could have not even asked about my personal life and forgot all about my obviously boring events instead of encouraging me to tell a pathetic story about myself. You weren't even paying attention for the most part,” she used her hands so much, it always gave Kagome something to look at when Yuri had something important to talk about.
Yuri was now slumped in her seat, her elbow sat on the desk and her face rested in the palm of her hand. She looked over at Kagome and then rolled her eyes, looking away again.
Kagome surprised herself when she realized how long she'd floated off from their conversation. Yuri could talk for a long time but ignoring the conversation for as long as she did made her feel like she might have some type of mental condition. A wave of guilt and confusion washed over her.
“I'm sorry Yuri. It's morning and I'm obviously still stuck in the dream state,” she said apologetically, “I completely zoned out.”
More or less, Kagome was half trying to convince herself this. When had she ever lost her head to gaze longingly at a boy? Not since grade-school, that's how long, when Yuri and her use to gawk at the boys in their second grade class.
That boy had completely electrocuted the normal brain cells in her mind.
Kagome blinked.
And what am I doing now? Thinking about him!
The other students in the class were starting to round up their things and crowd toward the door about six minutes early. These kinds of things always irritated her.
Wow! Why can't people just sit and wait for the damn bell to ring, or at least wait till the last minute, is it really that important to be first out the door?
“Everyone needs to go back to their seats, it is unnecessary to line up at the door any earlier than the minute before the bell rings.” Kagome looked up at the teacher as he literally echoed her very thoughts. He waved his hand as if his movements could levitate the students back into their seats.
Some of the kids rolled their eyes in response, but other than that, no one complained. Everyone tried to fit into the front row, some even went as far as to share a seat or sit on top of the desks.
Kagome rolled her eyes again and sighed irritably. She looked back over at her friend. “Well, how about later at lunch we have a talk about everything?” Kagome offered with an encouraging smile.
Yuri gave her a dull look, and shrugged. This seemed to placate her, and her attitude lifted.
“Alright, but warn me before you go into weird-o dream mode again,” she said with a cringe and made that motion with her pointer finger: waving it to form circles by her ear to hint that Kagome had lost her marbles.
“Okay, deal,” Kagome laughed.
A minute till they got their things and headed towards the exit like the other teenagers. She shot one last glance back at the boy named Alex. He did not glance back at her this time, but took up gazing out the window longingly once again. The bell rang and the students filed out of the classroom leaving Kagome to watch the male mystery.
“C'mon.” Yuri smiled and rolled her eyes. “You were dreaming alright, but it was about some skin-on-skin action with that kid.” She smirked, grabbed a hold of Kagome's arm, and then tugged her out the doorway.
Kagome's eyes widened in surprise, “no—I wasn't—“ “Yeah, whatever,” Yuri said cutting her off with another yank of the arm. “Where's your next class?”
LUNCH CAME AROUND. LIKE SHAVED IRON TO A magnet, Kagome's friends began to accumulate towards one large table from all different directions. This included Sean, Samantha, and Yuri.
Kagome was surprised at how fast her classes whizzed past, but once again she wasn't able to concentrate on any of her friends. Alex took up most of her thoughts, so much so, that it was beginning to annoy her. His face buzzed around her brain like a fly and she just couldn't swat it away.
Kagome sat down at the long, smooth, rectangular, gray table. The very person her brain lusted for was standing across the room. He must have gotten himself cursed: to live life as a God trapped in a shell of a pathetic human body for the rest of eternity.
“Alex,” She breathed out with an idiotic smile.
“What did you say May?” One of her friends questioned.
Kagome flinched at the interruption, and choked out a weak, “oh, nothing,” in response. She didn't even recognize which friend had asked her the question. Kagome couldn't even remember the question that he or she had asked in the first place. After her reply it merely dissolved, lost forever.
All Kagome could focus on was Alex's movements across the room. She didn't understand the crazy effects that she undergone whenever he came around. This ridiculousness angered her.
Ah, stop! She ordered herself and then blinked hard repeatedly. But her eyes found his person again, again, and again. Like a super old projector, his figure flicked about the room with every blink.
She groaned.
When he was in the premises her eyes glued themselves on him, when he was not in the premises her mind would glue itself on his mysterious entity.
He sat down at the table furthest away from any of the other ones, once again, seeming to try and not direct too much attention towards himself.
Kagome tried not to be so pathetically conspicuous when looking towards him from across the expanse of the room.
Her eyes flickered to a girl who seemed to appear out of nowhere. She glided towards the table that Alex was sitting at and gently reached out, laying her hand on his shoulder as she walked behind him.
He did not look at the girl until she said something to him. Whatever she had said seemed to shock him because his face shot up and his eyes narrowed. He said a silent something back to her and she nodded.
Kagome huffed; slightly irritated that she couldn't hear what they were saying. A bunch of clouded words meshed themselves together from all different types of conversations in attempt to block out the only thing she was interested in.
Who is that girl? She questioned in the back of her mind with a twinge of jealousy. She couldn't help but think that there was more to their relationship than just being lunch table buddies.
Kagome forked at the salad she had bought. She lost her appetite. The girl in association with Alex was beautiful. She had an amazing figure with long, dark, smooth hair like her own. They looked similar, except this other girl was just a step ahead of Kagome.
The girl's clothes were so plain, yet so in style, fitting her perfectly and bringing out her petite and perfect figure. Kagome looked down at herself, she was wearing a baggy black hoody that did not bring out her nice figure whatsoever, and even though wearing a hood wasn't exactly `out of style'—it wasn't especially an item of style.
Curiosity kept pulling at her thoughts; it forced her to keep peering up at the table where the couple sat. Kagome followed Alex's gaze to another table filled with others who bore the same likeness Alex so carefully tried not bringing attention to without success.
He was watching another boy who he must have known one way or another. The mass of the cafeteria bubbled and swarmed like a beehive around the two as they stared in hatred at one another.
Kagome's eyes widened as the boy sharply turned his back towards Alex, sitting himself down at his table on the other side of the room. It consisted of two additional males with the same undeniable presence that the two with hate share and yet another perfect female.
Kagome rolled her eyes.
What is up with all these girls? I look like a freak compared to them! She was torturing herself by envying other girls and she willed herself to stop thinking such things.
Alex locked eyes with the latest girl now instead.
Her facial expression went from soft and delicate to hard and mean in an instant. Alex bore his teeth at her threateningly. Kagome's forehead wrinkled in confusion. Impossibly enough, Kagome became even more intrigued, these strangers had caught all of her attention. They were so curious in every way.
The girl immediately stood up from her seat, surprising Kagome and giving her a full view of her perfect features. Her red hair was weaved into a single perfect French braid down the back of her head. She had a beautiful round face with mesmerizing green eyes.
The handsome boy beside her reached up and firmly grasped her arm with a slight shake of his head. She relaxed reluctantly and slowly sat down with a hint of embarrassment expressed on her face. The cruel aura dissipated.
Kagome switched gears and turned her sights to the other table where Alex sat. Instead of only he and the mysterious she, there also sat another very attractive male. He was similar in look to Alex but his face was thinner and more mature. He had the very same likeness and the same color of hair, but instead of it being longer and perfectly unkempt, it was short and gelled into place.
After a few minutes of intense thinking and some more staring Kagome finally settled into conversation with her friends. Yuri quickly summed up the story she was trying to get through to her that morning in first period.
Kagome had to put an extreme amount of effort to listen and respond correctly towards her friend's story because her mind would not stop from drifting between the six students that sat on opposite sides of the room from each other. She must have done a good job, because once the bell rang—signaling everyone to get up and wander into the next subject-- Yuri did not voice any complaints. They walked together out of the cafeteria and into the hall until Yuri had to break off into her own classroom.
WHEN KAGOME ENTERED STUDY HALL, HER EYES almost popped out of their sockets. The dark haired boy that had locked angry eyes with Alex in the lunchroom lounged in a desk, dead center, in the back of the room.
Kagome got a hold of herself. She stopped short of running right into a boy that was walking in front of her. He turned his head and gave a curious glance down at Kagome. Once seeing an attractive female face he smiled and turned fully. He was almost done checking her out and ready to start with a casual pick up line, or maybe just a simple hello when Kagome cringed away from him. She quickly snagged a seat beside the handsome kid sitting in the back.
He looked over at her curiously, examining her as if he had never seen a human of the opposite sex before. She gave a meek smile and shied a look away from his poking stare. She didn't expect him to be so blunt with his eyes. Her action didn't seem to bother him, or excite any apologies, which was odd. He continued to regard her so blankly with an straightforwardness that made Kagome's skin crawl. She panicked under his gaze. Finally, he took a rather sharp breath in and looked away from her in boredom.
Kagome didn't even try to hide her complete and utter confusion. This kid was odd alright. He became absorbed in his own thoughts, completely forgetting all about Kagome. She wanted to address him, introduce herself, and know just about anything she could about him. He was very nice to look at just as Alex had been. His muscles cut perfectly through his dark blue-T, fitting him to a T and his long, shaggy, dark hair swept past his dark eyes.
The teacher was an old woman that was terribly overweight. She really didn't look like she wanted to be at school teaching any more than the students wanted to be there learning. She closed the classroom door and then waddled over to her desk as she told the class to sit down and be quiet.
“Study hall means you can go to the library—or the computer lab.” She inhaled rather loudly between her words. “You cannot sit around here and make paper airplanes or throw things.”
Kagome scoffed inwardly at this, we are Seniors for crying out loud! If your still doing that there is no place for you.
“I'm going to take attendance,” she continued. “Tell me you're here and then go away somewhere,” she said in a tone that only a crotchety old woman could pull off.
As she called out the names on her attendance sheet the students answered with `here,' `present,' or `yeah.' When she called Kagome's name she decided ahead of time to respond with the usual `present.' After she made a movement to address herself to the teacher, the attractive young male shot another curious glance over to her. Kagome's brain insisted on going blank at that very moment and the very word she planned on saying caught itself on the end of her tongue.
“P-present,” she sputtered, and then lightly covered her blushed face with one of her hands as she rolled her eyes in embarrassment.
God, I have to find out who this guy is before I make too big of a fool of myself, she thought to herself once the teacher moved on with the list.
The old women called the name `Chris Griffith,' and the handsome male beside her mumbled, `here,' in a noticeable tone meaning that he truly did not want to be `here'.
Kagome did the same thing that she did this morning and securely lodged the name into her mind. She looked over at him thinking of it, and he peered back at her through the corner of his eyes. Was she making him nervous? She looked away even more embarrassed.
I'm so weird. He probably thinks I'm some stalker! She thought to herself frantically and then immediately decided to give up on the constant inward prying. She picked her notebook off the ground and cracked it open with little interest. She doodled a flower, then, not being able to take the curiousness that insisted on tugging her mind back to the kid named Chris— she smacked the notebook closed completely annoyed with her infatuation with men on this day and slid it to the top corner of her desk out of the way.
When she peeked over at Chris he was staring at her again.
“Hey,” he said with a half-smile that said more about his personality than she would have expected. He was a cocky bastard!
Kagome's eyes widened at this unexpected greeting. She blinked once, twice, three times trying to find a good word to respond back to him with. She was slowly sinking into the black pools of his eyes.
“H-hey,” she stuttered, and inwardly punched herself for stuttering twice in the last ten minutes.
He looked at her with even more interest, and then his gaze turned from curiosity to confusion.
“Chris,” he said pointing to himself, “and—you're Kagome, right?”
“Yeah,” Kagome smiled and he nodded. She could feel that he was drifting away from her. “Where are you from?” she got out quickly, trying to yank his attention back to her. His forehead wrinkled, as if he was trying to think of the correct thing to say. He was chewing on the inside of his lip.
“Uh, Wormsworth,” he said.
She scrunched her forehead and tried to think of a school called Wormsworth. “Funny,” she said, “I've never heard of that school before.” The name did not sound appealing at all. Was their mascot a millipede?
“Where are you from?” he asked.
“I used to go to school at Clinton.”
“Funny, I've never heard of that school before,” Chris said in the same exact tone Kagome had said it in. She couldn't help but make a rather rude face at him for picking on her. It didn't seem to bother him and she was about to give up on even conversing with the kid.
“How did you like it there?” he asked, now being the one to draw her back.
“Um, It was great. I guess you could say I was well adjusted,” Kagome answered. “How did you like it at your old school? Who were your friends?” Kagome stopped at the second question, she did not want to bombard him with them, but she definitely had plenty—they were whipping around in her head like dust in a vacuum cleaner. All she could do was pick the first ones that happened to hit the top, and hope that she could keep his undivided attention. But only if he plays nice, she wasn't the kind of girl to deal with any crap from men.
“Well, it was . . . complicated,” he said hesitantly and then looked away. “It is awkward having to switch into a whole other world like this.”
“Why is it awkward? Were those some of your friends from your old school sitting with you at lunch?” She asked.
“Yes,” he said with a smile. Which gave her butterflies, but then they died once she thought back to the perfect red-headed female that he had calmed down with a soft touch of the arm.
“The girl that sat with you. . . Are you and her—“
“No, not at all,” he said. His abruptness caught her off guard. “It's complicated; I'd rather not talk about it,” he said slightly irritated. She crossed the line.
Kagome nodded. She didn't wish to upset him.
“Okay—yeah, that's cool—no problem,” she fumbled over her words.
She ordered herself to shut her mouth and then laced her fingers into her hair as she rested her head on her palm, looking over at Chris. She really wanted to know more about it but kept herself from prying too much into it. Chris took up examining her again and she smiled at him, welcoming the attention. It was kind of an invasion of personal space—his staring—but at the same time it was flattering.
“What are you looking at?” She questioned after a few minutes of this constant process. He blinked as if coming out of a daydream.
“Nothing,” he smiled and then she smirked at him.
“Whatever you say,” Kagome said with a shake of her head.
“Well, what were you looking at?” He asked with a sly look on his face.
“Nothing!” Kagome shot back, surprised that he had noticed that she had been staring at him unrelentingly ever since she first laid eyes on him. She blushed, embarrassed again, and he let out a low chuckle.
“Whatever you say,” he said, mimicking her voice again. She narrowed her eyes at him but tried to convince herself that he was just teasing or flirting even. Then stopped while she was ahead and looked away.
She rolled her eyes at herself. Figures, I'm so pathetic, she huffed, looking up at the clock.
“You remind me of someone I use to know,” Chris said to her after a short silence. There was reminiscence in his eyes and Kagome looked away from him not knowing what to say. She wanted to ask who, but she didn't want to cross the line again.
JUST THEN THE BELL SIGNALED THE END OF CLASS. She gathered all of her two whole notebook and pencil then headed towards the door. Chris followed her and easily caught up to her in the hallway, matching his pace with hers. She looked up at him and smiled inwardly as plenty pairs of envious eyes followed them down the hall, including Hojou Young's.
Hojou's eyes tightened in suspicion when he spotted Kagome smiling up at Chris as they walked down the hall together. He nudged his friend's arm and nodded towards Kagome. She looked over to see that Alex was also watching them, but instead of enviously, or jealously, he watched with the same hatred and distrust he had in the cafeteria.
Chris mirrored the stare right back at Alex, and Kagome took a double take when she thought she heard him growl, but she waved the obscure idea away.
He slowed his pace as if he were going to change direction. Kagome panicked and reached out an unsteady hand gently taking a hold of his upper-arm. His skin was hot and she melted at the touch of him. He shot a look down at her and jerked away as if she had popped out of nowhere and attacked him; but then he went completely back to normal. Kagome quickly dropped her hand away from him, slightly embarrassed. She hoped that no one saw him rip away from her touch like that.
“Are you okay?” she asked hesitantly.
He gave her an unsettled look and then nodded.
“Yeah, sure, why wouldn't I be?”
“You just seemed—” Kagome began, breaking away from his stare to look back at Alex who still had a steady eye on their movements.
Chris's face hardened, he didn't have to follow her gaze to know what she was trying to say. She had noticed the silent battle that had just occurred between the two. He half shook—half nodded his head in response. He wrapped his fingers around her elbow, and gently pulled her close.
“It's nothing you have to worry about,” he said, as if it was, `over her head.' This made her even more curious. Great. Now she wanted to know more than ever. What was going on behind-the-scenes between these two mysterious boys?
She nodded in response, deciding that she would try to get it out of him another day. They had just met about twenty-five minutes ago. It would be rash of her to try to find out his entire life story this early.
I'll give it a few days before I go into this subject again.
KAGOME JUST MADE IT INTO CLASS before the bell rang. Through the second half of the day, Kagome could not concentrate fully on anything that was going on around her. She was in a daze—thinking only about the study hall earlier that day, the puzzling Chris, and the mysterious Alex.
She arranged what she was going to say the next time she could get Chris alone and a chill ran down her spine with just the thought of it. A smile tugged at the side of her mouth. Today had definitely been a positive one and it had her mind working over-time.
She broke herself out of her thoughts, only to say, `present,' when a teacher called her name, or to answer a hasty reply to the constant questioning by her friends, insisting on the summer's events and how she was adjusting to her new classes, the new teachers, and the new people.
Author's comments: TO UNDERSTAND WHY THE CHARACTERS LOOK SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT AND HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES YOU WILL HAVE TO READ THE REST OF THE BOOK. It's not under the category “suspense” for nothing.
IN NO WAY DO I OWN THE ANIME INUYASHA AND AL THAT AND THAT GOES FOR THIS ENTIRE FANFIC STORY.
The Incubus' Ambition
» 46 «