InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Infinite And One Night ❯ Life changing Interlude ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: So, let's see ……… Chapter IV is up. I'm good, aren't I ^.~ Anyway, not much to say besides "THANK YOU" to all those that were so kind as to review my story. It really means a lot to me. You are so sweet, guys ^^

Well, some of you said Inu Yasha was being a real a*** as Kagome has put it herself ^.~ I was trying to combine two aspects: 1) Inu really seems to hate Kagome at the beginning of the series ( don't forget: he wanted to kill her and all that stuff ) and 2) the guy in 1001 Arabian Nights, who kills every single new wife. I mean Inu Yasha himself took three episodes to finally 'be able' to say Kagome's name ……… wait a sec ……… the first time was in Chap III, as well, wasn't it o.O Anyway, that was no intention of mine. Complete coincidence I have to admit, but it fitted in quite well, didn't it ^.~

Still, I hope they are all IC ……… sort of o.O

And yes, keep guessing who this really strange guy is ^.~ I'm not going to hinder you ………

Disclaimer: No ………

Chapter IV

Life changing Interlude

"Stop it! We got female company."

Kagome just rolled her eyes and continued to walk along the corridor, completely ignoring the guy to her right who seemed extremely interested in penetrating his nose ………

"Well ……… yeah."

Kagome detected the stupid grin that started to deform the nose-guy's lips and she retorted with a disgusted look of her own.

"Don't even think about it."

"We're quite fierce, aren't we?"

"Well, I don't know about you ………"

She continued to look straight ahead, walking almost machine-like. The last thing she wanted to think about was her completely screwed up future. Of course, some of her girlfriends would probably squeal their heads away, if they heard about her being married to the daimyou and being able to stay in the palace. However, this definitely wasn't what she'd had in mind for herself.

Surely - Kagome blushed slightly at the thought - she wanted to get married and have a whole bunch of children preferably, but she wanted to do that out of love and passion and not because she was being forced to.

And here she was.

Having married just half an hour ago. Having lost her first kiss, also just about half an hour ago. ( She preferred to overlook her time in jail and her death penalty. ) And all to a guy she didn't even like, she hated to be exact.

He'd practically forced her to stay here. Out of no reason that is. He'd separated her from her mother. Not to forget about the many times he'd simply insulted and mistreated her.

Kagome heaved one of her many deep sighs.

But there was something about him that she couldn't quite word. He was strange and mysterious ……… and very intriguing.

"……… they got poor Yukito this time. You've heard?"

"Yeah. The Great Inu Yasha-sama found him out of sixty-seven servants. Quite an accomplishment."

Kagome closed her fists and secretly rolled her eyes, but kept her interest firmly on the conversation.

The two guards that had spotted her right in the middle of the corridor guided her along all kinds of still unknown hallways; and the girl slowly started to get the impression they were just trying to stay in her company, regardless of the fact that they walked the same ways twice. There were not many females in the palace anyway. She gulped.

"How did they get to know it was him?"

"Dunno? Magical prosecution I guess. As always."

"Pfew ……… I'm glad I'm innocent. I would not want to be in the same situation."

"Yeah ……… strange how many criminals there are, roaming the palace I mean."

The nose-guy tore another strange face as he nodded gravely.

"I wouldn't have believed Yuki to be guilty. He was always the quiet, nice one."

"It's always them, you know."

"You're probably right."

"But what kind of spell lays on these ……… demon things? You know?"

A furious headshake was the immediate answer.

"I haven't got a clue. But this time it was a really ancient one ……… one of the dearest of his mother."

Kagome had almost become completely oblivious to their rather tedious discussion, but they had, since the mention of Inu Yasha's, mother stayed oddly quiet and only exchanged a few meaningful glances. That caught her interest again.

She observed the two, who seemed - apart from the weird nose-behaviour - to be the nicest guards she'd had the pleasure of getting acquainted with so far. They preferred not to keep talking, for they realised Kagome's increased curiosity.

However, they had no idea how she was like. And she wasn't done with the two just yet.

"I've never had the pleasure to meet her. When did she die?"

Never had she expected their instant reaction to be as surprised as this!

"You ……… what? How d'you know?"

"Where did you hear that?"

"How come you believe her to be dead?"

"Well ……… Inu Yasha," she recognised their shocked looks again, "-sama told me." The girl wasn't exactly lying there ……… It was better, more profitable ( and a lot easier ) for her to mime the "loving wife".

The guard to her left, who seemed much older and more mature, since he had tried to keep the other one in line, stared at her with wide eyes. Kagome was glad they didn't fall out. She wasn't eager to being responsible for that, as well. However, he quickly tried to overcome his surprise and coughed lightly, before looking straight ahead once again. Nevertheless, he kept eyeing her strangely from the side, as he went on with his tale.

"Quite a tragic thing indeed that was ………"

Kagome's palms slowly started to turn into sweaty pools, as she felt she was close to getting to know Inu Yasha's "secret" or even "secrets". But she knew better than to interrupt him. It would put off all the storytellers and the majority would not be eager to continue revealing ……… The guard's wrinkles in his face increased as he seemed to be thinking hard.

"It's difficult to say ……… I don't know where to start. Quite a complex story to be exact - "

"Don't worry," Kagome had a tough time hiding her immense interest. Her laughter quivered slightly, as she was trying to keep the act intact. She didn't want to risk anything because of her eagerness. It would prove to be a lot easier to get anything out of them, if she didn't react with complete astonishment. But it was really difficult ………

"I'm a patient listener and I would very much like to listen to your tale." This and her added warm, but seductive, female smile did the rest to gain the last bit of the guard's trust. He answered with one of his understanding beams in return, before coming back on the actual topic, this time using a very serious tone of voice, as if trying to impress Kagome with his storytelling abilities.

"Well, it all began when he was still a young boy, playing outside in the mud, naked - "

"I'm sorry to interrupt," she said with a sheepish grin, "but I don't assume we have that much time - wait, a sec? He played outside, naked?"

He returned her grin with a slightly surprised, but boyish wink of his own.

"Yes, he loved doing that sort of stuff, scaring away all the birds and the maids. Even his brother was offended. Quite a sight to behold, I have to say," he chuckled lightly.

"Inu Yasha ……… err ……… -sama had a brother?"

"Has. He still is his brother, even though I think they both wish this wouldn't be the case."

Hm ……… this was getting more interesting that she'd thought.

"And he lives here?"

"The gods forbid - no!" He answered quickly, "Nobody would be alive, if he hadn't disappeared. They were true enemies. And their powers are incredible. I'm glad that sort of stuff will never happen in the palace again." He sighed, before giving Kagome a suspicious look, "I thought you would know about that. I assume if he talked to you about his mother's death, he would want to tell you of his other family problems, too."

Uuuh, this is not good. Think. Think! Think quickly, Kagome!

"Yeah … Yes, you might believe that," she replied with certain nonchalance that spoke of seriousness and gentle superiority, "but as you said yourself, he prefers not to think of his brother. Don't forget Inu Yasha's quite secluded after all."

"Sure. You're probably right." He turned his head away again, not knowing that a huge boulder had just been lifted off Kagome's sensitive heart. Too many heart attacks in one day ……… She could barely suppress the relieved sigh.

"Don't forget about the master's mother. The best of the story's still coming," the other guard interrupted, looking in Kagome's direction, as if wanting to capture her interest and adoration. He was awarded with a sweet smile that would caress his soul for the rest of the day.

"Yes, he's right. I apologise for my questions. Continue, please."

"Well ……… it all really happened with this girl ……… "

"A girl?" Kagome was getting slightly annoyed now.

How many people were still going to join in this tale?

"Yes, a girl. I forgot her name, strangely though. Everyone knew her ……… might be because the lord forbid to mention her again ……… ever," he looked at the girl, as if realising something horrific, "Actually we're not even allowed to talk about her."

Fear encircled Kagome's heart for a short moment. She might not get to know the essence of the secret at all, but that impression quickly faded as she recognised the older guard's facial expression.

He was trying to impress her by talking about the mysterious girl, nonetheless. Kagome rolled her eyes mentally. Men were such a bunch of mindless show-offs, even if they were as kind as these two.

"Anyway, she came - Ikai, was this before the master's father vanished or after?"

"After I think," Ikai, the younger one replied.

"Wait, wait a second." Kagome held her head in anguish, as if it was just about to burst in half. This was way too much information and complexity. What kind of a hellhole was this? An asylum, as well?

"Inu Yasha-sama's father vanished. Just like that?"

"Yes, after Sesshomarou's, Inu Yasha's brother's, departure," Ikai added quickly, as he saw Kagome's blank expression in response to the mention of the new name. "Nobody knows what happened to him, but there are rumours - "

"Yes," the other one took over again, earning a few peeved glances from Ikai, "that's where the girl comes in. Her name was something like Ka … Ki … Ko, can't remember, but you remind me of her very much."

"I do?" Kagome felt the literal drop of the infamous coin. Was this the girl Nuimo and Inu Yasha had been talking about in her presence?

"What's your name?"

"Higurashi Kagome."

"Very regal name indeed."

Kagome looked at him with a forgiving glance. Everyone knew you couldn't go more peasant with "Higurashi". But this remark was kind and polite, nonetheless.

"I just wonder why he chose to marry you."

Oh, you surely aren't the only one.

"In the end he seemed to have literally hated her ……… a hate which was being returned, as far as I know. Ah, very tragic indeed."

"'In the end', 'hate'? So he didn't hate her before?"

"Oh, no. The Gods forbid," his favourite exclamation obviously, "They were in love!"

Kagome would have certainly stopped dead in her tracks, as she realised they'd been standing for quite a while now. Oh, well ……… Inu Yasha and the whole bunch of them could wait. But this news was completely new to her.

"You mean he actually loved someone? Seriously? Undeniably? In the actual sense of the word?"

"Yes, yes. As I said. It was kinda cute and heart-warming. Sweet, young couple. Oh, tragic indeed ………"

"And then? What happened?" Her excitement was barely bearable anymore. "What did they do? Why did love turn into hate? What happened?"

"I don't know."

"Ohhh ……… ugh." Kagome couldn't help herself, but groan in complete and utter frustration. What were they doing to her? They were depriving her of the best of the story. Not even her grandfather did this.

"What do you mean 'You don't know'?" Many people didn't seem to know what was going on in this place.

"As I said: I don't know." Where had she heard this before ………? "It was very weird. Something happened. She was banned, some even say killed. But not before Inu Yasha's ……… err ………," the guard went beet red in the process, "Inu Yasha-sama's mother died under mysterious circumstances. Some say it was Kikyous's fault - Ah, yes! Kikyou it was! Kikyou, that was her name!"

Kagome looked at him. "Kikyou," she whispered softly, carefully trying out the beautiful name on her tongue.

"Some say she was a witch!" Ikai interrupted angrily in response to Kagome's soft try to mumble her name.

"A mean one at that. She betrayed, cheated on him and killed his mother!"

"Is that true or are these just rumours?" Kagome enquired carefully, raising an eyebrow, generally knowing about rumours, their birth, consequences and cruelty.

"It's true!" Ikai exclaimed once again, as if to reassure himself of the truth.

"Nobody knows, but ………" the older guard wisely replied on his behalf, however, not leaving any doubt about what he believed himself. He never finished the sentence.

"Even if she wasn't a witch, she was certainly a bitch," Ikai laughed, earning an annoyed glance from his companion at his choice of words.

"Beware, we have noble company here."

Ikai coughed lightly.

"Sorry, Milady. Anyway, a witch certainly suits a sixty-eight year old."

"Ikai! No disrespect! We have the master's wife here!" the guard shouted out of anger and rage, however, they'd immediately awakened Kagome's interest once again, rather brutally to be exact.

"Err ……… s'cuse me. Wha - What did you just say? Six ……… Sixty-eight? Who is -?"

"Well, Inu Yasha-sama of course. Being what he is ………"

Kagome never actually heard the last part of his remark and was even oblivious to the many loud shouts that came from the other end of the corridor. She'd long sunken into another deep and sweet sleep. Deep and sweet like so many before.

~~*~*~~

"……… Can't believe ……… scandal ……… the time ……… where were you ………" It were partly loud, but soft and mostly blurred shouts that reached her ear and seemed to caress her sense of hearing carefully, as if not daring to wake her up, but no being able to live without her.

She smiled tenderly.

"Ah, she's waking up. That's a good sign. What have you ignorant humans done to his highness's wife? What have you told her?!"

"Err ……… nothing. Nothing of importance ………"

Ikai's voice. It sounded slightly ……… hoarse.

"So, you tried to kill her? Murderers on his highness's wedding day! Guards!!"

Kagome immediately felt something needed to be done ……… by her. If you want something to be accomplished successfully, do it yourself.

"Whatever you're accusing them off, they're innocent."

"Milady!"

"Your highness!"

She would never get used to this.

Ikai and Nuimo had shouted in joy and immediately rushed in her direction. She may have understood Ikai's reaction, which was a little immature maybe, but certainly kind. However, she couldn't help herself, but feel afraid at Nuimo's signs of affection. They seemed too ……… true. This was a strange thought. For the first time in her life, she preferred fake feelings and acted affection over the truth. What was wrong with her?

"I'm fine. Thanks for your concern. Back to the topic. These two men," she pointed in the direction of her fellow guardian friends, "are innocent. They haven't done anything."

"But your fainting fit - "

"I was just feeling a little unwell. That's all."

Ikai emitted his typical, boyish laugh.

"Spent too much precious time with the master already. First signs of - "

"That's enough!"

Nuimo's sharp tone of voice drove away the last blurred images out of Kagome's mind and she could see clearly once again. However, she didn't quite understand his outburst. Of course, Ikai had made a stupid joke. ( And he was going to pay for this. ) Kagome thought angrily, while clenching her fists, as if readying her attack. Nevertheless, that still didn't justify the chancellor's reaction.

"Killed! I want him killed, executed! NOW!"

And this didn't either.

"Err ……… Nuimo-san."

"Guards! Take this filth away!"

"I hate to interrupt you in your actions, Nuimo-san. But that would be my job then."

The enraged individual turned around, only to be face with a slightly peeved-looking daimyou, who persistently tapped the floor with his foot.

"Of course, Milord." It was obvious he was having a tough time keeping his - normally cool and controlled - temper down. He bowed and moved away, without turning his back on Inu Yasha.

Kagome, who had felt a hurtful sting in her heart at the chancellor's exclamation, thought she could relax again -

"Take them away."

- and was proven to be wrong.

"No! Wait." So, this was plan A. She'd gotten everyone's attention. Now for plan B ………

"Listen, Inu Yasha, it was a humourless prank. Leave him be, please. He didn't mean it," Kagome looked over her shoulder to watch Ikai, who'd adopted an unhealthy white tone and seemed to be just about to faint himself. She didn't need another fainting fit here.

"Leave him be. Please."

"Keh! Whatever," he snorted and intended to turn around and depart. Kagome sighed happily and watched Ikai and his companion leave the room. She knew the young guard was about to get the lecture of his lifetime.

"How could you let them go like this, Inu Yasha-sama?" Nuimo asked with a half-desperate expression, disfiguring his usually noble face.

"They are responsible for Kagome-sama's delay, as well. It is because of them all the guests have left already and are not to witness Kagome's performance. I tell you they were keeping her in the corridors and planned on hurting or even killing her - " He surely got worked up, as he continued his concerned speech, but wasn't able to finish, as Inu Yasha interrupted him rudely.

"If this was the case, I have to seriously start thinking about promoting the two." His tone of voice let no doubt about him considering the conversation to be over. Nuimo heaved a barely audible sigh in defeat and regained his usual composure. The way he got up nearly washed away all the memories of him having been worried about something at all.

"I apologise for my impoliteness, Inu Yasha-sama. I will leave the two of you alone for Kagome-sama's performance."

His eyes fell on the mentioned and now slightly confused girl once again and she couldn't help herself, but feel she knew those intriguing, deep orbs. She'd seen them somewhere before, but just couldn't tell where. Or so she told herself.

"Anyway, let's get over and done with this, girl. We seem to be doing this here." Inu Yasha looked around the chamber.

"You have enough room to dance?"

"I'm not dancing."

"Oh, good." The human ……… well, no, what was he ……… his features lightened up for the first time, as he sat down, Indian style of course. He folded his arms in a cautious knot and eyed her interestedly.

"So, get on with it."

Kagome, however, did not move. She stared at him with a flat expression, thus earning quite a few irritated glances. His interest turned into annoyance, as she continued to silently look at him.

"Well, what? Get on with it!"

Nevertheless, Kagome remained still and didn't flinch at his subtle anger that was being reflected in his command.

"Do it. Please? Kagome?" he enquired, as if sudden politeness and the mention of her name could change anything about the situation. He sighed deeply.

"What is it, girl?"

"Who are you?"

Kagome had been dying to ask the question. It had taken nearly all of her strength and self-discipline to wait for a moment to be alone with him. Her eyes turned into slits, as she'd finished phrasing her enquiry.

"What do you mean, who I am? I'm Inu Yasha, the daimyou, your - "

"I know THAT. And you perfectly know what I mean."

"I don't think so. Enlighten me." He seemed to find their current conversation to be very amusing. Kagome didn't share his opinion.

"Who can you possibly be ………"

"'Possibly be', when what? What are you getting at?"

"How can you possibly be sixty-eight years old?"

Inu Yasha's eyes went wide at Kagome's question, which seemed to be more of a random statement, or worse: an accusation.

"How - ?"

"Ha! So, it's true!" The girl looked at him, a smug feeling of triumph warming her stomach, which had started to ache a while ago, since she'd missed dinner. Thanks to her two new friends.

"The two guards told you, didn't they?! I swear I'm going to execute - "

"You're going to do nothing."

He gave her a weird look.

"They are under my protection."

His odd expression gained in intensity, as he realised she was being perfectly serious. A wicked laugh emerged from his lips and continued to fill the room.

"What? What's so funny about his?"

"You ……… you," he paused because he felt he would explode, if he wasn't being careful, "you think you're going to experience tomorrow's nightfall?"

If it hadn't been for his words, Kagome would have been sure of sensing a strange change in his mood. He was laughing, but ……… no, he wasn't really. She would never understand him. However, his words, as mentioned before, were made perfectly clear to her. Even a dumb peasant person could not have overseen the subtle hint.

"I'm not ………?"

Suddenly realisation dawned and hit her worse than anything had ever hit her before. Kagome felt the actually numb pain on the back of her head and would have gone down on her knees, if she hadn't been kneeling already.

"You killed all of your former wives ………"

"Maybe not exactly that, but ……… what did you believe happened to them?"

"I ……… you got bored and ……… got divorced then, but," a faint tear rolled down her face, as her fate visually unfolded itself before her. Had she seriously believed to be able overcome her death penalty? She may be married, but she would probably still die. "I didn't think you would … Why are you doing this?" she suddenly hissed, threateningly.

"What?" He asked surprised at the change in her mood.

"Why do you marry all of these poor souls and get rid of them then? What have they done to you? I'm sure you didn't even know most of them! Like you don't know me! I'm not going to just sit here and let you decide over my life."

"Oh, you will, dear Kagome."

Kagome looked at the origin of all evil, pure hatred being emitted from her eyes. All the tears that had planned on falling evaporated within an instant.

"I still have your mother, you know."

"Wha - What?" She didn't understand a thing anymore. This political world, full of intrigues, deceit and lies, was too complicated and much for her. One invincible drop still managed to fight its way down to her chin.

"I told you: You marry me, I let her go. This is the truth. And I am letting her go. Just forgot about it during all the hassle," he mumbled the last part, but immediately continued to speak louder again, "I don't need you to obey. There is always force and power. That's what makes out a real daimyou. Nothing's going to happen to your mother. I just want you to get over and done with this ceremony of performance. I'm glad you've not chosen to dance. That seems to be the only thing those pretty, mindless creatures are capable of doing," he rubbed his temples in agony, "But on the other hand, you're not one of those. Just do it and the worse part will be over. Please, don't make it hard for me. I'm going to think of something less ……… painful and easier to bear in return."

Kagome had barely listened to what was being said. She was too shocked and too disheartened to be even able to cry.

The worse thing of all: she knew her emotional outbursts wouldn't help her this time. She'd always been able to sort of delay everything, but now ……… all seemed so finite. There was no room for reasoning anymore. Someone who offers "humane" ways of sparing you a painful death was capable of everything. Kagome was sure: this had to be the most perverted and twisted thing she'd ever heard. She was glad her mother wouldn't suffer. Nobody would. With the exception of her. There wasn't even pleasure in annoying Inu Yasha anymore, since he seemed to have made a difficult decision himself.

What was she to do?

Her eyes suddenly focussed on his blurred form once again, as she seemed to regain her senses. A final, desperate idea had come to her mind. One of which she did not know how and if it would possibly work. But she had no other possibility. She would either succeed or die trying. In the literal sense of the word.

Kagome nodded gravely.

"I'm going to enlighten you with a tale of mine."

Kagome clenched her fists in the white wrinkles of her kimono, just hoping he wouldn't see her ivory-coloured knuckles, which even started to hurt after a while. She didn't need his superiority and blown ego right now.

"Well, I certainly have to say: this is the first time I get to know this kind of performance. The majority dances and sings, but this ……… I'll be very interested."

His playful kindness did not help either. Kagome knew or at least assumed he was just yearning for a moment of weakness on her behalf. Breathe, Kagome. This is not the first occasion on which you've told a tale. You've listened to Gramps innumerable times and did it yourself before. Just remember what he said.

'Devise a plot with depth and a premise. Interweave it with your storytelling skills and the profound characters. Make them breathe, make them see and feel and touch. Make them live. Imagine them sitting next to you. What might they say in reality in any random situation? Regardless of the actual plot. Imagine them being a person, whose answer to a question you know before they spelled it out. Let inspiration flow ………'

"Let inspiration flow ………"

"What?"

"Oh, nothing. I've just reminded myself of a few basics," Inu Yasha snorted in response, but didn't hinder Kagome to get on. She gladly did so. She had not only devised a story, but also devised a plan. This would not be the last thing his daimyou-highness would see of her. He could be sure of it. The girl had chosen to revive a character she'd learned to love already - and her brother, too. What worked with him, might work just as well with Inu Yasha. They were two spoiled brats after all, had a lot in common ………

"My story begins with the faint brightening of yet another day of some forgotten, yet yearned for era in the past - "

"How can something be forgotten, but still yearned for?"

Kagome heaved a heavy sigh and clenched her fists harder, this time not to keep herself from revealing her fear, but to prevent further bloody actions she might actually regret at some point in her - probably short - life. Still, nothing was to turn her into him. She eyed the impatient listener with a deadly gaze of her own.

"Who's the storyteller here?"

"Well, you, but - "

"Fine, now that we've settled that. May I continue?"

"This is ridiculous. How can this be? 'Forgotten, yet yearned for' - "

"Don't you ever have profound dreams and wishes you cannot name, but you know of their existence? Everyone knows of certain situations in which you have no suitable words at your disposal. This is a way of describing such a thing. Not only the desire to be in some other place and time, but you could also use this as a metaphor for many other things! Pfew." Kagome inhaled deeply after yet another outburst and eyed him again.

"May I - "

"Please." Inu Yasha interrupted with a child-like, apologetic voice, before crouching to sit in a more comfortable position. He was to devour every moment. This might take longer ……… hopefully.

"Anyway ……… it was one of these days of which you could be sure they were to ruin your life."

A/N: I originally planned on making this chapter a lot longer, but in the end I decided against it. It's better if it's divided. So ……… interlude time's over. Let's go in for the actual main theme ^.~ I hope you enjoyed it, nonetheless. It would be very nice to hear some feedback, praise, criticism, since I find it always very motivating and it keeps me writing. Thanks again to all those, that reviewed already ^^ You rock!! °^_____^°

BTW, I am a great Anti-Kikyou-Basher. Just keep this in mind, please.

P.S.: I've been asked to post this: the pelvis is the anatomic part where the legs join up with the spine. So, nothing dirty on my behalf ^.~ I've just been asked in a previous review. I hope that clarifies everything. Don't be afraid to ask, if something's sounds sorta weird. Maybe you've just discovered a bad mistake or an evil typo. I'm always grateful for help.

var PUpage="76001070"; var PUprop="geocities"; var yviContents='http://us.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=76001070&l=NE&b=1&t=109070 3501';yviR='us';yfiEA(0); geovisit();