InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inseparable ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-Chapter One-

An ominous feeling surrounded the palace, with dark mist drifting nearby. Thunder crashed deafeningly in the distance as the billows of darkened violet hue floated about, giving the surroundings a sense of mystery...a sense of danger. The entire landscape was almost completely enveloped in darkness, bringing a chill down the spines of all those who dared to approach.

Inside, a woman with piercing, scarlet eyes walked down a corridor, carrying a fan in her right hand. Though she had a fine face, her expression was twisted into that of a frown, and she looked absolutely murderous. She continued pacing the hall until a young girl turned around the corner, holding a small mirror between her hands right in front of her. A strange blue aura seemed to dwell around this girl as her emotionless, ebony eyes stared into nowhere.

"Kanna," the woman said sharply, "is it true that Naraku has created another offspring?"

The child did not answer. Instead, she looked down at her mirror, which the woman, Kagura, did as well. Inside visualized a half-naked Naraku, his spider mark burned clearly upon his back. He was a facing somebody, who stood there, looking at the ground, her face not able to be seen because it was covered by her long, violet hair. Kagura watched angrily as Naraku spoke. Though his voice could not be heard, it was clear what he was telling her.

"Naraku, that bastard," she spat disgustedly. "What's he creating another one for?" she swore under her breath, and the image faded from the mirror. With a snort, she turned around and walked away, while Kanna continued to stand there with her eyes wandering into darkness.

As Kagura walked, she continuously thought about what she had seen in Kanna's mirror. Naraku had created another incarnation to get the remaining Shikon shards from that annoying little group of weaklings. Or did he? That girl did not look like a fighter, nor did she have any weapon upon her. She was a simple teenage-looking child, wearing a kimono and nothing else. Why would he send such a character to retrieve the shards when Kagura, Kanna, and some other of Naraku's offsprings have already been defeated? Deeply immersed in her curiosity, she almost did not realize when that girl she was thinking about had just appeared in front of her.

"Oh, it's you," she said bitterly. The girl wore a hypnotizing, blue glaze that it was uncomfortable for her to look into. She looked to the side as she continued her speech. "What was Naraku saying when he talked to you?"

She gave no reply. Instead, a small, sly grin emitted from her elegant face. A strange sensation coursed through the wind user as the child walked past, not uttering a single word. Kagura stared after her, unsure of what she had just felt. It felt like...it felt like her mind was being opened. A blissful feeling surged through her body and encouraged her to let her guard down...to forget about everything and open her mind. Quickly, she snapped back to her senses and stared after the girl who had disappeared around the corner of the hall. What was her power?

------------------------------------------

A perfect, cloudless night was approaching. As the sun slowly started to disappear beyond the horizon, the sky was getting darker, and a few, twinkling stars had already started to appear; however, it was pretty hard to see them through the dense forest that some were tredding through. Four large figures and two smaller ones were walking slowly through a dark forest, no doubt both tired and hungry.

"I can't take this anymore!" one of the smaller ones bursted out. A little kitsune with auburn hair sank to the ground as he lied flat on his stomach, his eyes completely out of focus. "Can't we just take a little break?"

"Break, my ass!" a hanyou came forth and whacked the little fox demon hard on a head so that a bump began to swell. "I want to get out of this forest before night falls, and if you're going to keep complaining, then we're going to have the spend the night here!"

The fox demon, Shippou, shuddered. The forest was dark, and numerous shadows kept appearing out of nowhere and vanished almost as instantly. Strange sounds could be heard, and it was unknown whether it was just a small animal, or a large predator on a lookout for some prey.

"Oh, why did we have to come in here, anyway? It's all your fault, InuYasha!" Shippou screamed, pointing an accusing finger at the hanyou.

"Hmm..." InuYasha's amber eyes narrowed as he stared loathingly at the little demon who crouched before him. Before Shippou could say anymore, InuYasha whacked him hard on the head again, this time with more power than the last, leaving Shippou's head throbbing with pain. "This is a shortcut, idiot! We were supposed to have made it out of here before it got dark, but it's all thanks to you that we have to stay here for the night!" his expression softened he turned around to face a human girl a green, school uniform. "Kagome, do you sense the fragments of the Shikon no Tama?"

The girl named Kagome was silent for a while as she quietly concentrated to sense any traces of the jewel fragments. Finally, the feeling pulsed through her as she definitely felt a shard in the distance. She looked up at InuYasha with a look of determination upon her face. "Yes. It's not too far. Just outside this forest, I think."

"All right, then we're just going to have to keep going!" InuYasha declared, walking forth. Nobody followed him. "Wha - hey, what's the big deal, you morons? Aren't you guys going to come?"

Before anybody could answer, the monk named Miroku stepped up fir the others. "We can't make it out of this forest tonight, InuYasha. It's much too dark to see anything beyond ten feet, and everybody is extremely tired from the long trek that we went through today. I think it's best that we find a comfortable place around here and camp out for the night to continue our journey tomorrow with full energy."

Kagome nodded in agreement. "Come on, InuYasha, just rest for the night! I'm sure you're not all at full speed right now, either!"

InuYasha, however, remained unconvinced. "No way! Don't give me that kind of shit! You guys can stay here for the night, but I don't care - I'm going, and I'm going to get those shards of the Shikon no Tama!" he declared and continued walking, leaving the rest of the group behind.

"He'll be back," the demon exterminator, Sango, sighed through a smile. "Best we start our rest now; I'm sure InuYasha would want to wake up early tomorrow to continue."

"Good idea," Kagome said as she reached into her bag and pulled out a red sleeping bag. She yawned widely as she crawled into it, with Shippou snoozing peacefully by her side. She hardly had any time to worry about InuYasha coming back or not as she fell asleep the moment her eyelids closed over her eyes. Unconsciousness swept over her as she plunged into a world of dreams.

It was dark. Everything was dark. Completely pitch-black. She waved around her, hoping to feel something, but there was nothing there. She put her hand out in front of her; however, no light emitted from anywhere, and she could not see her fingers wriggling right in front of her face. Panicking, she ran as fast as she could straight fowards, hoping to crash into something. But nothing came. She just kept running and running until finally, she was out of breath and was forced to stop. Leaning forwards and putting her hands on her knees while panting hard, she looked up, and was instantly startled by a figure right in front of her.

The person looked like an ordinary girl just about her age. Her kimono was draped comfortably over her body as she walked up and smiled at Kagome. A light came from her, and she was able to see her, but Kagome still couldn't see her hand when she raised it. No, what was she thinking? This was a dream, after all, and she knew that perfectly well. No reason to feel worried. Dreams never made much sense. But who was this girl? And why would she appear in Kagome's mind?

"Kagome," she called out, her voice barely louder than a soft whisper. "Kagome..." she said again as she walked closer and closer until they were only inches apart. "Relax," she whispered, and surprisingly, Kagome found herself doing exactly what the girl was telling her to do. She opened her mouth to ask who the girl was, but she was interrupted before a sound came out. "Shh...do not resist," she ordered as she raised her hands and put them on the sides of Kagome's head ever so gently. Relief and calmness rushed over Kagome as she started feeling sleepy, her mind becoming at ease...

But then suddenly, a strong surge of power emitted from the girl. Her eyes widened as she forced the power into her hands, where Kagome let out a piercing scream of pain. Her head...it felt like it was going to explode. What the hell was this girl trying to do? Her energy was being drained as she found herself becoming more tired and exhausted. No, she said to herself. No, what's happening to me? It felt like every door in her mind was being opened. Thoughts rushed through her head as past memories played themselves over. The first time she saw InuYasha...the time when she witnessed InuYasha declaring that he would always protect Kikyou no matter what happened...the times when the hanyou transformed into a full youkai...

The pain was too great. Unable to withstand it any longer, she sank to the ground on her knees, her eyes wide in shock. The image of the girl in front of her went out of focus and then back again. The torturous throbbing in her head did not cease as she fell over to the side, eyes still open.

"No!" her mind screamed as she suddenly bolted upright. "What?" she gasped under her breath as she looked around. She was still in her sleeping bag, and Sango and Miroku slept not to far away from her. Kirara was curled up in a little ball as Shippou had somehow managed to roll away from the sleeping bag to right a beside a fire that was cackling away. InuYasha, she could see, was back and sitting next to the burning flames.

Panting hard, she lied back down, staring up at the sky that was covered by the leaves from the nearby trees. What the hell was that dream?

------------------------------------------

Note from Author: Well, I'm not much of a writer, and this is my first InuYasha fanfic, so sorry if it sucked too much. xP This is actually an Inu x Kag fic (it comes in later!), but I'm trying to add some battle scenes along with it to spice it up and make it appeal to all readers. so Inu x Kag fans, hang in there! n n;

http://chimera.genki-hell.net/