InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Into the Wolf's Cave ❯ The Courtyard of Blood ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yep. Deathfic. Woo-oo. For all you Kagome/IY fans.. suck it up. InuYasha just doesn't appreciate Kagome.. maybe this will teach him a lesson. A Kagome/Kouga.. Yup. Gotta love the wimpy wolf, eh?

Into the Wolf's Cave

Kagome squeezed her eyes closed, holding Shippo close to her chest. The kitsune watched the fight with wide eyes, his sandy tail puffed all around him. Kirara kept her teeth on the back of Kagome's shirt to prevent her from falling off the roof to her death. Not far to their left, Sango held Miroku in her lap, wrapping some cloth she had taken from her pink and black outfit around the wound on his arm.

Kouga's eyes had begun to burn a hateful red, and a sickening, purplish-black glow could be seen from the wound on his arm. Kagome could see the fake shikon shard, which now flooded his body with poison of odium. The wolf youkai lunged at Inu Yasha again, slashing out with his claws and fangs.

Inu Yasha breathed heavily, leaning on the enormous Tetsusaiga. The fang had done him no good in this fight so far; its new weight was causing him a great deal of trouble. He could smell Naraku, knowing that his nemesis had intentionally covered the hanyou in the blood of Kouga's men to spur the wolf's anger. Now, he would stop at nothing to kill Inu Yasha.

Kagome felt helpless as Kouga delivered another blow to Inu Yasha. She slowly clambered back onto the roof to get a more stable position, slowly prying Shippo off her shirt. Kagome looked down, pulling her skirt off her thighs, when she heard a scream.

Frantically looking over the edge of the roof, Kagome was barely grabbed by Kirara before toppling off the roof once more. The sight before her made her body begin to tremble and her hair stand on end. Amidst the blood and broken bodies of wolf youkai, stood Kouga.

He held a slowly beating heart, of which half of was a dank black. Inu Yasha lay on the ground, his eyes open and dripping with blood. A huge hole had appeared in his chest, and his body spasmed as he coughed more blackened blood.

Kouga dropped the heart, which splattered silently on the fallen blade of Tetsusaiga. He grabbed his arm, backing up from the fallen Inu Yasha. He raised his head, letting out an immense howl that hung between victory, anger, and sadness.

Kagome could only stare, her arms twitching as she blinked rapidly. She suddenly went limp, only Kirara's grip on her shirt holding her from falling off the building. The fiery cat youkai pulled her back up onto the rafters, looking first at her un-reflecting, dull brown eyes, which twitched involuntarily at irregular intervals. Kirara looked back at the scene before her, Kouga's immense howl filling the youkai's ears.

Kagome had retreated from the world around her, only the sound of the wolf's cry penetrating her mind. She swam in blackness, unable to breathe, unable to think past the sight of Inu Yasha's dead body. The hanyou who had protected her, who she had involuntarily fallen in love with. He had pushed through practically impossible odds, changing from a blood-driven hanyou to a caring, beautiful human. He had, in heart, become human; he had taken blow after blow for her, even gotten up the courage to follow her to her time through the well.

And now he was gone.

All she could hear was the wolf's howl, filling her mind with every possible emotion. Inu Yasha was gone, dead. What had suddenly become her whole life had blinked out, like a candle suddenly extinguished.

Opening her eyes, Kagome let out a blood-curdling scream that rivaled Kouga's mournful howl, filling the air with a cacophony of immortal wounds.