InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Into the Wolf's Cave ❯ Reasoning With the Devil ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I know, my chapters aren't long, but oh well. Also, yes, this is a Kouga/Kagome. Inuyasha's dead; how the heck do you expect it to be an IY/Kag fic if he's dead? Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone else for their reviews. This is a bit hard to write, being that I'm working full time on my other Escaflowne fic. Enjoy.

Into the Wolf's Cave

Reasoning With the Devil

Kagome did not dream that night. She was haunted by nightmares.

The wolf was after her; his sleek, brown coat glistened in the moon, but his long, bloody fangs betrayed his elegance. Kagome ran and ran, but she found she was unable to move. The wolf approached her rapidly, his massive, clawed paws floating above the ground as he galloped towards her.

"Help!" she cried, panting from exertion. She tried to move again. "Inuyasha! Help!" The wolf suddenly froze, raising its large, yellow eyes to her.

"Inuyasha can't help you now," it growled, sinking to the ground. It walked towards her, sniffing her legs, and moving its nose up her thigh to her skirt. Kagome jumped, pulling her green skirt down and glaring at the creature. It let out a snarling laugh, baring its teeth.

"Come on, Kagome," the wolf began again, circling her. It suddenly stood up on two feet, its fur rapidly giving way to pinkish skin. "Just forget Inuyasha," the creature continued, its nose and face becoming more and more human, its brown hair turning into a black mane.

"Never!" Kagome responded indignantly, watching as the wolf's yellow eyes became large and blue, its body lengthening and its arms and legs switching.

Kouga came closer, taking her face in his palm. "Kagome," he said, his voice low and husky. She shivered, carefully meeting his gaze. "Inuyasha..."

Kouga was cut off as she woke up.

Kagome's eyes snapped open. Looking around, she found herself curled up, her head resting against the space between the wall and... Kouga's leg. Her feet were draped over his shins, and he looked asleep.

Carefully removing herself, slid off the straw bed. It was just a bad dream, she thought to herself. Inuyasha's not dead. He's waiting for me with Sango and Miroku. Kagome nodded her head, wincing as her black shoes clicked loudly on the stone floor of the gave. She saw Kouga flinch, but he made no move to get up.

Kagome slowly made her way across the cave, tripping once or twice on invisible rocks. The cave was annoyingly dark, and she found her exit blocked by a tightly tied down wolf skin. Kagome began picking at the nail on the wall, but shrieked loudly when she felt warm arms wrap around her waist and a hot breath trail down her neck.

"Where are you going, woman?" Kouga's voice a perfect imitation of the one in her dream. She felt a chill run down her spine, her body struggling to not relax against the warm chest pressed to her back. She saw his gray chest armor lying near the door and shuddered again.

"I asked a question," Kouga continued, pulling her in closer. She had never been in such close proximity with a man, not to mention a demon, beside Inuyasha once or twice. Not knowing what to feel, Kagome sighed against him.

"Home," she responded quietly. Kouga furrowed his brow, putting his hands on her shoulders and turning her around to face him. Kagome looked at the floor, her black hair falling over her face.

"Home? Where is that?" he asked, lifting her chin with one hand. Her brown eyes were soft and sad, and her face was so drawn and hopeless... Kouga shook his head.

"The future. In the village below the mountains, and down a well... that is where I live," Kagome replied, bringing her gaze up to his. The wolf youkai raised one eyebrow, then picked her up suddenly.

"That doesn't matter. You're living here now," Kouga said confidently, plopping her less-than-gracefully on the straw bed. She glared at him indignantly.

"You kill my best friend, the.. the one I love, and now you're demanding I live here with you?" Kagome snarled back, sitting against the cave wall. Kouga tapped his chin, then looked at her and nodded.

"Yes, that sounds about right," he confirmed. "That puppy isn't around anymore, so you can be mine now, right?" Kagome stared at him.

"You're crazy," she said icily, crawling away as he jumped onto the straw bed, crouching with one hand supporting himself.

"Not entirely," Kouga replied, watching as she sat against the wall, her eyes narrowed dangerously. She had always seemed so trusting and kind before; now Kagome looked at him as if he were death itself.

"With Inuyasha gone, you're vulnerable," the wolf youkai started again. Kagome merely glared at him. "More than before, anyway. I have to protect you. I can do that best if you're mine." She was not convinced.

Kouga sighed, sitting down cross-legged. He closed his eyes for a moment, exhaling deeply as he put his arms out to either side of him. "Kagome," Kouga called quietly. Kagome raised her gaze, meeting his now open blue eyes. "Come here," he insisted, his brown tail waving back and forth behind him.

Kagome watched him for a moment, his face becoming soft and pitiful. Instantly her memories of Inuyasha returned; memories of the looks he only had for her. His lips slightly tweaked in a smile, his elegant nose, his soft golden eyes, all just for her. Tears sprang to her eyes, and without thinking twice Kagome crawled over and collapsed in Kouga's waiting arms.

The wolf youkai had no idea it would be that easy. He knew she wasn't thinking of him. Her mind was still with that pathetic puppy, but soon those memories would be replaced by him. Kouga smiled at the thought, the thought of claiming the beautiful black-haired girl as his.

Kagome began to cry, letting her tears run freely as Kouga's hand rubbed her back, his other arm holding her to his chest. She knew it wasn't right to be there with him, using the wolf youkai as a support pillow. Kagome wished and wished, praying and hoping she would open her eyes to find herself being cradled by Inuyasha.

But he was gone, and she would just have to face the reality. Kagome's sobs began to falter to light sniffles, her tears beginning to dry up on her red streaked face. She merely let herself be held, her mind wandering to distant places and better thoughts.

What about the Shikon no Tama? Without Inuyasha, what would become of them? Could Kagome just go back home, leave feudal Japan forever, without overtly affecting her future?

Kagome shook her head slightly. She had done too much, made too many friends. She couldn't abandon them now: Miroku, Sango, Shippo, even Kaede and Myouga. Kagome was bound to them now, and would have to see to the end what she began. Whether or not she died at the hands of the already prevailing Naraku or the still vengeful Sesshoumaru would be for fate to decide. Kagome would just have to do her best.

"Kouga," she began, trying to stay reasonable. She stiffened in his grasp, making him raise one eyebrow. "I can't stay here." Kouga growled, tightening his grasp on her.

"I was nice before," he said sternly, "but the puppy is gone. I can't let you go now." Kagome pushed away from him, albeit unsuccessfully. She raised her head, locking gazes with the angry wolf youkai.

"I can't! I must continue what I came here to do. I must complete the Shikon no Tama, and carry on what Inuyasha wanted. Don't you understand?!" The last few words came out a high pitched cry, her voice becoming desperate. Kouga's eyes widened in surprise for a moment, then he furrowed his brow again. He tightened his resolve, pulling her back to him.

"Then I will go with you," he said quietly. Kagome pulled away a bit, staring at him in shock.

"Kouga..."

"If it will allow me to stay with you," Kouga continued, not meeting her gaze. "I will help you finish the Shikon no Tama. On one condition." Kagome raised one eyebrow. She knew she wasn't going to like it, but without Inuyasha, they would have no firepower against the demons they would, without a doubt, fight along the way.

"And what's that?" Kagome asked, her voice twitchy and unsure. Kouga looked down at her, stroking his hand through her hair.

"That when it is done, you will stay here and be mine." Kagome lowered her head, taking one hand and opening it, examining the curves that ran along her palm.

She could always come to love him the way he loved her, she supposed. After all, he was incredibly handsome.. strong.. She owed it to Inuyasha. Kagome would do whatever she could to repay the inu hanyou.

"I will," she replied quietly. Kagome turned away slightly, examining the ground. A look of triumph crossed Kouga's face and without warning, he jumped off the bed and hoisted her into his arms, kicking down the wolf pelt on the door.

The wolf youkai stood on the edge of the cliff, holding a terrified Kagome in his arms, and let out a howl of possession and triumph to the world. Kagome would be his.