InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha A Feudal Fairytale: Bound By A Promise ❯ Oath Maid ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello everyone! Guess what, I, (Also known as Hanyou_Miko_Higurashi) have created a joint account with my friend in order to bring you some of our best work! This is her very first time posting a fanfic, so, that means that she needs lots of reviews to boost her ego up! We'll post our "personal" profiles just so you can get to know us a little better.

Pen Name: Shihaisha

Age: 23

Hair Color: Black (currently)

Hair Length: Waist Length

Hair Style: Cool (yeah, like THAT gives you anything!!!!!!!!)

Eye Color: Silver

Current Outfit: Is currently wearing her Matrix outfit. (sugoi!!!!!!!!)

Weapon of Choice: Big ass Flamin Katana (watch it, she'll use that thing!!!)

And then there's me, the annoyingly weird one:

Pen Name: Yoake (or Hanyou_Miko, what ever you prefer!)

Age: 16

Hair Color: Silver with Black and gold tips

Hair Length: Waist Length

Hair Style: Loose

Eye Color: Ice Blue w/ slitted pupils (gotta love the youkai look!)

Current Outfit: *grins evilly* I have stolen Inuyasha's outfit and he is now attempting to kill me to get it back. I have also dyed it blue so, HAH! *runs away from the mega pissed hanyou.*

Weapon of Choice: Double Bladed Sword w/ gold runes. (hey, I can have a kick anus weapon too ya know! *receives a dirty look from her friend and cowers*)

Umm… yeah (gre~eat, now I have Inuyasha AND shihaisha trying to kill me) well then, please review for us and enjoy our story. There will be a title picture and chapter pictures for the story. (Double yaays for you guys! That mean a lot of reviews or, no pictures!! *gets shoved into a closet by Shihaisha* WAAA!!!) And, we wouldn't say no for some fan arts from you guys too! And, there will also be character profiles… with pictures too!!!!! Now, without further distractions, here's the story, all original characters belong to Shihaisha and myself. Sesshoumaru belongs to Shihaisha also, after she kills the wonderful creator called Takahashi Rumiko. Me, on the other hand, I'm nabbing Inuyasha. *grins*

"Oath Maid"

The taiyoukai of the Western Lands scanned through his territory, noticing with a slight narrowing of his eyes that a triangular bit of villages populated by humans and perhaps the occasional low class Youkai in disguise were forging weapons, the acrid smoke reaching his senses and confirming a long suspected presumption that those particular three villages were attempting to plot a rebellion against himself. `Hmph, foolish mortals, how can they think that I, Sesshoumaru can be defeated. Foolishness can only be tolerated to an extended amount of time. Time for them, has run out.' With his amber eyes narrowed, the Youkai lord turned his heel and began to make his way towards the three villages, silver hair flashing in the sun before vanishing in the forest shadows.

Konaosu Tamashiino kneeled in concentration at her mother's bed side. Her condition was rapidly deteriorating and Konaosu knew that she would not be with her much longer. She had finally fallen into a peaceful slumber and Konaosu hoped that she would stay that way for at least a little while. When her mother was awake she was in great pain, and it was hard for her to see a once strong and proud woman in such a frail state. Konaosu looked up sharply at the window. The villagers were making a huge commotion and seemed to have dropped another load of weapons. `The fools…' Konaosu looked for signs of awakening on her mother's part but though she stirred the commotion had failed to bring her fully awake. Konaosu let out an inward sigh. She had sworn to herself that if the villagers awoke her mother again that they would personally pay for it. They had already done so many times and her mother was now distraught with worry over the fool hardy uprising that the villages were now organizing. Konaosu was sure that this would not last much longer. The taiyoukai was probably on his way to put down the little rebellion. After all it was obvious to anyone who had any sense what was going on in the villages. If the village leaders had had the wits to organize the rebellion quietly it would have still been a futile attempt. The villages were made up mostly of peaceful people and their eyes told the truth as you gazed into them. Not to mention the fact that their sovereign lord was a Youkai and it was damn near impossible to hide anything from him. No this would be over soon and she hoped that her mother would be passed on and herself gone on her way before the oncoming destruction.

Sesshoumaru watched from a hill top as a group of the villagers dropped an armload of weapons on the ground and fought a strong urge to roll his eyes in annoyance, `To think, these are the same villagers that are plotting my downfall… Pathetic. Inuyasha himself could be more threatening than these bunch of dirt crawlers. No matter, time for the destruction to emerge from the hidden shadows.' Silent as the wind on a calm day, the taiyoukai swiftly flew down the grassy knoll, Toukijin unsheathed and at his side. Swinging at one of the nearby houses, a violent bolt of electric blue youki shot forth from the blade, enveloping the house and it's occupants in flames. Villagers screamed and fled the scene, grabbing children and women before fleeing from the certain death that awaited those that would remain behind. Some of the men took up spears and charged at the taiyoukai. Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed slightly as he raised his right hand, claws popping out and glowing a sickly green before he dove into the fray of humans and swiped at the many open guards, "Dokkasou!!" Screams of both the women witnessing the attack and the dying men whose flesh melted from the poison inserted into their bodies filled the air around the village.

Konaosu's mother came to with a start as the first sounds of battle reached their ears. The sounds were still a ways off but were steadily making their way towards them. Konaosu cursed she had hoped that this would have waited just a little while longer, but apparently the taiyoukai had finally had enough. From the sounds of it he was wrecking havoc and would reach the inner village in moments. Konaosu went to her mother's side and began to help her up.

"Nao, Nao, wait…" Her voice came out weak.

"We must leave here." Konaosu's voice was urgent.

"No Nao, you must do something for me?"

"We do not have time!" Konaosu began to help her rise.

"Nao, I will not make it out of the village. I can already feel myself begin to fade. Please you must listen to me this is my final request."

Konaosu looked helplessly at her mother.

"Nao, you must promise to do something for me." Her voice was a whisper but her eyes held an urgency that she had not seen for a long time.

"Ask it and it will be done." Konaosu clasped her mother's hand.

"You must promise me that you will protect the village, no matter what."

"Why mother…these are the people who have disowned you?! They have brought this upon themselves! They deserve the destruction that awaits them!" Konaosu's tone was sharp.

"Even the children, Nao…" Her eyes were pleading and her words had hit their mark perfectly.

"That was unfair, mother." A small smile lighted her mother's lips.

"Very well I will do as you ask. Though it may be my own undoing, I swear to uphold your request no matter what."

Her mother smiled at her and lay back down in the bed. Konaosu stood preparing to interrupt the taiyoukai's handy work when the door to their home burst open revealing an unpleasant sight. Akisu and some of his guard had decided to grace her with their presence.

"What do you want? I have no time for your antics I am at my mother's death bed." Konaosu's eyes were filled with loathing.

"Stay your tongue Hanyou brat. We have no time for your petulant feminine excuses."

"Oh are you having a bit of trouble? Did you underestimate the power of your taiyoukai?"

"Don't take insolent tones with me half blooded disgrace. Since he, the despicable youkai that he is fights, you will fight as such for us as well. It's about time that you do something of use for this village instead of playing nursemaid to a dying woman."

"It is your turn to watch your tongue half wit or I will burn you where you stand!"

Konaosu's mother coughed into her hands, trying to disguise the laugh that came from many years of telling her daughter about the pig of the leaders.

"Nao, do not threaten Lord Akisu. Remember your promise to me."

"Besides, I do not feel like wasting my last valuable moments scolding you for killing the pig. Even if I always hoped it would happen, perhaps we shall be lucky and our Lord Youkai will slay him in the battle. Never mind, the pig is too much of a coward, not to mention a chicken's ass." She muttered under her breath. Konaosu's keen ears caught the murmured words and forced down the laugh that threatened to burst free.

Lord Akisu scowled and tried to look threatening, reminding Konaosu and her mother of an overly confidant tub of lard that tries to act like he's the taiyoukai, only to grovel and kiss much ass when caught.

"You should respect your elder's brat, not to mention act like a proper woman, even if your blood is tainted. You had best come and fight; else, I can't be responsible for what happens to your mother's body."

Konaosu's eyes narrowed and for a moment fire crackled about her hair.

"I will go and face the taiyoukai but only because of the promise I have made to my mother. I care not what happens to you and perhaps I will hand you over to the taiyoukai as payment for the sins of the villages. I will certainly do so if you do anything to dishonor my mother. Now get out of my way."

Lord Akisu's eyes narrowed to piggy slits as he puffed up and tried to look intimidating instead of pissing his hakama.

"Very good then, your mother shall be buried with full honors. Not to worry, Lady Miya shall be buried in an honorable fashion."

Miya scowled from her bed and gave the best evil eye she could to the chieftain of the village.

"You act like I'm already dead and yet here I lay, perfectly able to hear your every word."

"Abominable, selfish, uncouth, slimy pig's ass! If I were well enough, I'd show HIM a thing or two. Call my daughter scum will you! Act as if I'm dead will you! Why that self serving low crawling horse's ass!!"

Konaosu once again forced back the laugh that struggled to emerge from her throat.

Lord Akisu's face turned red in humiliation.

"Of course I knew you were still alive Lady Miya. I was just speaking for future references." He turned to Konaosu and scowled darkly at her.

"Well half breed? What are you waiting for? Go out there and destroy that youkai!"

Konaosu's eyes narrowed as she shot Lord Akisu a deadly look and pushed her way through his men to the door. Turning to give her mother a final glance before stepping out to what lay awaiting her.

Sesshoumaru sliced through the brittle flesh of the humans that dared defy his authority. An unusual scent suddenly teased his senses, causing him to look up from the man he had just thrust through the throat with his talons. `A youkai's scent? No, a mixed scent. Lilac and the scent of a fire, a truly unusual scent, especially one belonging to a hanyou.' The villagers noticed his slight distraction and backed off hurriedly, cowering behind the emerging form. A tall and slender young woman emerged from the growing crowd, her raven hair reflecting the very shadows of a dark flame as her jeweled red eyes narrowed slightly at the position she was in. Her armor was old; no questioning that, the armor matched her appearances well, red and black seemed to be her main colors. A cloth wrapped katana hung at her waist, the only visible weapon Sesshoumaru was able to discern on her body. Her raven locks were partially pulled into a bun the rest left free. The mighty taiyoukai jerked his hand from the throat of the villager, splattering blood as he shook the blood from his hand and stood to his full stature.

"You bring ahanyou out to fight me and expect her to emerge victorious. You are worse off than I, Sesshoumaru had expected. A hanyou may be higher than humans but, still far below the ranks of myself."

Konaosu's eyes narrowed ever so slightly at the proud youkai's speech. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes and swallowed down the anger that had arisen at his insults. She knew that in this battle she would need to use her wits to be victorious. Konaosu approached the taiyoukai stopping just a few feet before him. She kneeled down in the dirt and bowed low.

"Taiyoukai please stay your hand and quiet your anger a moment to hear your humble servant's request."

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed in the slightest, his patience had already been worn thin earlier by the discovery of a bruise on Rin's side, one that had not been there the night before. Jaken had cowered when Rin informed him that she had been "bad" and Jaken-sama had punished her. Not to mention this rebellion was taking up time that could have been put to much better use, like finding Naraku's whereabouts or stealing the Tetsusaiga. But, this youkai, no, hanyou, intrigued him, a great feat if anyone knew him personally. He had never sensed her in the village before the moment she emerged.

"I have little time to hear begging, less patience as well. If you must speak, do so quickly before I finish what I have started."

Konaosu bowed her head quickly and hid a small smile.

"I do not come before you to beg for the foolishness that has been shown but rather I wish to offer you appeasement for the transgressions that have been committed against you. If my request does not please you I will do nothing to interfere with the judgment that has been passed."

Sesshoumaru forced down a smirk even as the corner of his mouth twitched upwards in the very slightest. This particular female had at least a glimmer of intelligence, unlike the villages he visited. Probably more than his half brother as well, he couldn't be too sure as of yet, but he had a slight feeling it was so.

"Than make your plea and be quick about it. I have much to do and less time to do so because of this mistake of a village."

Konaosu looked up for the first time and met the taiyoukai's gaze.

"As appeasement for the crimes of the villages I offer myself. I will surrender my freedom and swear an oath of service to you. I will remain in your service until I have paid the debt for all who have lived and live in the villages."

Sesshoumaru's eyebrow lifted slightly at the hanyou woman's direct communication, not to mention her bold move of staring directly into his eyes. Loyal servants were very rare and hard to find, and yet, willing women servants were even scarcer.

"How will I know that at the first opportunity you shall not attempt to run away? Mistakes in the far past have revealed some… unredeeming youkai, even hanyou in my services."

Konaosu's eyes narrowed, the fire burned brightly in them as she allowed her anger to be visible.

"My oath is my bond. I have never broken a promise in my life for I am unable, but perhaps you have known a Suzaku youkai who has not been so true. If that is so than you have cause to doubt my word." Her eyes dared him to prove her wrong.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed again as her anger reached him, she was beginning to show weakness, a common trait for a hanyou to reveal it's weakness to temper. He'd know, after all, who wouldn't after having to put up with his Halfling brother? `Suzuaku youkai hmm. That would explain the fire like scent to her, also the flickering of ebony flames in her hair. I personally have little in personal contact with the Suzaku youkai themselves. A rare find, even rarer so that a Suzaku would mate with one outside of their kind. Perhaps there is something I could use from this female.'

"Never before have I had a Suzaku youkai in my servitude in all my years of Lord. I have heard of your race though. One thing that I, Sesshoumaru can already tell with one as yourself is this, training to hold your temper within until a time of battle shall be a requirement. Otherwise, an enemy could exploit your weakness in temper and gain the upper hand." "Inuyasha has proven that statement time and time again. Foolish pup, had I not informed multiple youkai of their fate should they happen to kill him; the foolish idiot would be dead long ago." He muttered to himself, forgetting that Konaosu happened to be a hanyou and therefore, capable of hearing the muttered half curse.

Konaosu willed her face to remain impassive and tucked that bit of information away. There was a chance that it would be of use.

"Please forgive my lack of control it will not happen again…" Konaosu inhaled a sharp pain it's effect barely noted in her eyes. She cast her eyes down as her acute senses heard her mother's last breath. Konaosu bit her lip in an attempt to hold back the sobs that threatened to escape. She hoped that her posture would be taken as a sign of obedience rather than the pain it really was.

Sesshoumaru caught the scent of death from one of the houses and remained stoic, even though his senses picked up the smell of salt from the girl's eyes. `Hiding the pain and sorrow, an admirable trait in one such as her. She must have been someone that this hanyou girl knew.'

"I insulted your species, a common error that shall not happen again." His eyes took in the signs of an inner struggle that was raging within her eyes and face. He knew what sorrow was, having lost his own mother at a very young age.

"Bid your final farewells and pack your things, which you wish to keep. I shall wait here, be quick about it." There was an unusual undertone that Konaosu couldn't figure out in his voice.

Konaosu rose, bowed low and quickly turned, the villagers parted as she approached. She entered a small home on the right alone to all except the taiyoukai. Konaosu ran to her mother's bedside as soon as she was inside. Her mother's face was peaceful and without pain. Showing glimpses of the woman she had been. Konaosu choked back a sob as she fell to her knees and clasped her mother's lifeless hand. She allowed the tears that she had held in check to flow.

"Mama…I have kept my promise. Your home is safe and protected; let us hope that this will not be lost on foolishness."

Konaosu kissed her mother's forehead blessing it with her tears. Slowly rising, reluctant to let go, she bent over her mother and unclasped a chain from around her neck. She clasped it around her own neck and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"I love you, mama…"

She turned and left the house, singing a lament in bird song for her mother. So softly, only Sesshoumaru's keen sense of hearing caught the melody.

Akisu was standing by the doorway and smirked, not bothering to contain his eagerness to get rid of her.

"You heard the taiyoukai, get moving. Don't let us catch you around this hut again either. Everything in here now belongs to the village and it's people, you are no longer allowed or welcome here. We only put up with you because of your mother's insistent pleas."

With a speed that was dizzying to normal human eyes, Konaosu lunged toward Akisu, her hand clenched his throat. She kept her face stoic not revealing any of the anger that lay beneath the surface.

"Let me remind you that if it weren't for my mother, your head would be on a platter and this village would be decimated. I will no longer tolerate your empty headed foolishness, and if I have need to return to this village there will be nothing that you can do to prevent it."

Konaosu smiled sweetly and released Akisu's throat.

"Remember my mother's burial or I will be seeing you sooner than we both would like. A word of advice you would do well to remember that this is the taiyoukai's village not yours."

Konaosu turned away, making her way back to her new Lord.

Sesshoumaru's eyes were closed when she emerged, his thoughts were amused after hearing the hanyou woman subtly threaten the village elder and correct the man's way of thinking, something he should have done long ago. His eyes opened, revealing no hint of the amusement that he felt.

"All is taken care of. Then let us go and leave these ignorant humans behind."

Akisu rubbed his throat, his face having gone a pasty white after being pinned to a wall by the arrogant whelp of Miya. `She can't talk down to me like that! I'll show her AND that sorry excuse for a Lord. Who commands who around here?!' He signaled a few of his personal guards to take some of the other men and attack them as they left.

Sesshoumaru turned his head slightly, piercing the villagers with a searing amber gaze that left them trembling in fear. He began to walk forward, again turning his head slightly towards Konaosu.

"Do you have a name I could call you? If not, I am sure that I have a few that would suffice. Wench."

Konaosu looked up her eyes boring into the back of his head.

"Unfortunately, I must inform you that my mother did indeed name me. So there will be no need for such pet names." `Though lighting that fluffy tail of yours on fire is very tempting right now for even suggesting the comment.'
Sesshoumaru kept walking, secretly amused by the banter being made.

"If you indeed have a name, you should inform me of it. Then I can call you by your name, instead of some of the names I can think of."

"As you command, my name is Tamashiino Konaosu." She smiled slightly, amused. `Perhaps we should change that to the tail AND hair.'

Sesshoumaru fought the urge to raise an eyebrow at the unusual name.

"Soul of the Little Healer? Your mother must have decided your fate while you were still an infant."

"Perhaps, but I have never pretended to know my mother's mind. So that still remains to be seen."

"Remains to be seen? That has a rather ominous undertone."

"Now you understand as much about my mother as I do."

Sesshoumaru fought the urge to chuckle at the reference made by the younger woman and continued walking. The two caught up in their playful banter had not noticed the small group of warriors that followed behind them.

The group of men clung to the shadows of the forest trying to pass as silently as was possible. They were close and amazingly had not been spotted. They had been following their prey for some time and had clung to caution hoping that they were keeping their scent from the wind. So far luck was with them, the two youkai were so preoccupied in their own banter that they had not noticed the trap that was being carefully laid for them. The leader of the men, a cut throat mercenary that Akisu had hired, smiled growing more confident with each passing moment. These youkai no longer seemed fearsome and he was sure that they were more talk than bite. So throwing caution to the wind he signaled the men into their places.

The silence that fell over the forest was the first warning that went through Konaosu's mind. The second was the underlying scent that mingled with the forest's own. Keeping her face pleasant she continued to follow her new lord, using her youkai abilities to seek out the disturbance but not give away her awareness of the danger. She was sure that her Lord Youkai was also aware of their pursuit, because she had seen an almost barely perceptible twitch of his tail. He was clearly annoyed. Konaosu could not hold back a smile as she saw the tail twitch a second time. She half expected to hear him growl next.

Sesshoumaru half turned to Konaosu, his eyes barely containing his annoyance as his voice lowered.

"I was not aware that you find the current situation humorous."

"Only a little…"

"This is your problem, take care of it."

"Of course, I wouldn't want my taiyoukai to soil his hands more than he already has. Even if these men are not worthy of my blade."

Sesshoumaru restrained himself from returning an equally sarcastic remark.

"Then restrain your chatter and cut down those who are unworthy to continue living." As a final remark, the taiyoukai added in an extra barb.

"Or, is your mouth mightier than your blade?"

Konaosu smiled, though it did not hold any of her earlier amusement.

"Judge for yourself."

The mercenary leader smiled gleefully as he watched his men notch their arrows. The two youkai had stopped, making themselves easy targets. His pulse began to race as it always did before he was about to slay innocent bystanders. He especially wanted to see the eyes of the woman youkai as they drained of life.