InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha A Feudal Fairytale: Bound By A Promise ❯ Oath Maid: Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, We were just a tad discouraged that we only received 1 review. Come on now minna, we're not that bad… are we? Ah well, tons of action in this chapter. PLEASE review for us, it'll get more chapters up!

"Oath Maid Chapter 2"

Konaosu stood still, eyes closed, completely ignoring the arrogant youkai in front of her. Her sense of smell pin pointing the location of the would be ambushers. There were twelve men; each had been strategically placed in a circle. The scent of blood wafted from half of them. Akisu had sent some of his cut throat mercenaries, probably to make sure that they were killed brutally and without mercy. The rest were men from the village guard. `Damn fool…has there not been enough blood shed? His arrogance condemns those he sends to death. I should have killed that bastard when I had the chance!' Konaosu's body tensed, aggravated, from the sigh of arrows being notched. She opened her eyes and met Sesshoumaru's gaze, her mouth set in a grim line.

"I leave you to your own devices."

The mercenary leader watched as the arrows were loosed, preparing himself to charge and finish the job once they had hit their mark. His smile broadened as he heard the others preparing themselves as well. His pulse quickened as he stared at the youkai woman, imagining the arrows piercing the beautiful figure. In his minds eye he could see her blood being spilled perfectly matching her armor. The blood roared in his ears from the sheer excitement and his battle lust was almost unbearable. The arrows flew expertly tearing through the air only to hit nothing.

Konaosu waited until the last possible moment. With a speed that was both inherent and learned she effortlessly dashed left into the shadows of the trees. Coming up behind the first man as he realized that she had disappeared. She unsheathed the Seishi Hino, slashing the man down his backside. Rounding back to slit his throat, cutting off his scream as he choked on his own blood, and fell with a quiet thud to the forest floor. The other men began to shout to one another realizing the danger too late.

Sesshoumaru stood where she had left him. He had easily avoided the attack and was very perturbed at the brainless actions of the villages. Despite this he watched his new hanyou slave with something akin to surprise or a grudging respect. Not that he would ever admit such a thing but she showed incredible skill for a hanyou. `The wench's skill is still considerably beneath my own but far exceeds that which I had expected.' Sesshoumaru watched as she weaved her way through the forest delivering fatal blows. She struck each man twice leaving no doubt as to the outcome. Her sword was quick and clean, not lingering more than a moment. A glint caught his attention bringing a tinge of curiosity with it. For a second she had been in a shaft of light, her sword catching the sun, but instead of it reflecting its light back as a normal blade would have. It revealed a reflection of a flame. `Perhaps she will be of more use to me then I had originally thought.' There were only two men left now; Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow as the last of the two men lunged toward her. Her back was to him and she was engaged in the elimination of the other.

The mercenary leader had finally spotted the youkai woman. He had heard her progress as each of the men had cried out and had been desperately trying to find her. He was determined to land a killing blow. She was fast and possessed more skill than he had thought, but he had killed youkai before and was sure that she would not be any different. So with a cunning born of years of experience he lunged forward.

Konaosu yanked her sword free as the dead man fell in front of her. She turned slightly hearing the last man running towards her. She caught sight of his face in her peripheral vision. Her stomach knotted up in instant loathing. She recognized this mercenary; he had been a particular plague upon the villages, or more accurately to the poor villagers who had had nothing. There had been many times when she had found the slaughtered bodies of the old and young left on the outskirts of the villages. Always they had been left to die a slow and painful death. She had known who the perpetrator had been but she had lacked solid proof. It had not mattered in the end for one; no one trusted the word of a hanyou, and two all the victims had been poor beggars or orphans. They had been of no consequence to the villages prosperous and that had been all that mattered. Akisu had known of this man's deeds and allowed him to continue to sate his blood thirsty nature. There had been no retribution or justice for the poor souls who had been murdered…retribution was forthcoming.

Sesshoumaru watched interested now as Konaosu stood before the dead body in front of her not moving. It had been only a moment but she could have killed the man behind her in the time that had passed. He had covered the distance quickly and was now in range to land his blow. Sesshoumaru could tell from the way she stood and gripped her sword that she was aware of the approaching fool behind her. She had not allowed any of the others to come anywhere near her like she did now. She was either showing her hanyou weakness or there was something about this dirt crawler that had attracted her attention. `Perhaps I was wrong in my assessment. Perhaps she is as dim witted as that half breed mongrel.' Sesshoumaru flexed his left hand impatiently. `If the wench does not finish this up… I will kill her myself and then use Tenseiga on her.'

Konaosu gripped her sword white knuckled at the mercenary's over confident laughter as he swung his sword in a downward stroke. His movement a poor mirror image of her earlier onslaught, except for this time the prey was aware of the supposed danger. With a force that belied her slender stature, Konaosu arced her blade upward. The force of her blow knocking him backward and off balance, giving her the opening she had planned for. She quickly thrust the Seishi Hino into his chest driving the blade deep, while splitting him down the center. With her back still to him she yanked her sword free allowing him to plummet to the ground. She glanced back in time to see the life drain from his eyes.

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow in appreciation at Konaosu's swordsmanship. `She was not trained by a human for that kind of technique and skill. No mere human could provide the kind of intense training that it must have taken to hone her abilities to that level, or I, Sesshoumaru am a mere dirt crawling half breed.'

"What took you so long?"

Konaosu raised an eyebrow in mock imitation, and did not give him the pleasure of a response.

"I expect an answer that is an order, wench."

"I was playing with my prey." She did not even try to disguise the sarcasm in her tone.

"Playing? It looked like you were having problems."

"That is all in the eye of the beholder."

"Don't taunt me half breed."

"Forgive me that was not my intention." Konaosu's eyes however suggested otherwise.

Sesshoumaru scowled at something off into the distance and bit back an equally sarcastic retort. A soft wind blew the scent of two men that lived, annoyed with the hanyou, the mighty youkai decided to vent his frustrations out on the remaining people. He vanished in a blur of silver and white before halting ten feet from the downed men. Konaosu had panicked after guessing his intent and had thrown the Seishi Hino, lodging the blade firmly in front of the youkai lord and sending up a wall of phoenix fire.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed visibly as he glared at the wall of flames and seethed. Not realizing he was speaking out loud, Sesshoumaru uttered what sounded to be some sort of oath.

"Is it only me that sees this? Or do I have an uncanny tendency to be attacked or stopped in my tracks by fire. This is getting very tiresome, not to mention annoying."

Konaosu laughed out loud.

"Not to worry my lord youkai, if I was meaning to attack you I would have aimed at you."

Sesshoumaru found that not amusing and gave the girl a deadly glare that had terrified even one of the Shichinintai. Konaosu still had the small smile on her face, which annoyed him to no end, the worst part of it all was, he knew and she knew it. She walked forward, closing the gap between them as she did so. `Nothing to say? Must be a first for him.'

Sesshoumaru folded his arms across his chest and restrained the urge to strangle her on the spot before using Tenseiga only to repeat the process. His eyes were glowing with a hot golden light, a warning symbol of his growing anger.

"I thought I ordered you not to mock me, Wench. Do you always disobey orders?"

"I do not recall you ordering me not to mock you; I do remember however, you requesting that I not taunt you. This happens to be the slightest of differences in the matter. Besides, you are quite attractive when you're angry."

Sesshoumaru's eyes flared red for a brief moment before returning to their usual amber hue, though a few remnants of crimson still lingered.

"Do not waste my time with petty flattery. I have no use nor want for it. Explain to me why you have not finished your job."

Konaosu bowed slightly before responding.

"First I do not waste my words on petty flattery. I only speak the truth. It does not matter to me one way or another if you are attractive or not. You are my master and I am your servant. As to why I haven't finished myjob as you put it. I was about to do so until you interfered. After all you did tell me that this was my problem to take care of."

His eyes narrowed in his growing rage.

"Do not take such insolent tones with me, I own you and can do with you as I please, whether you enjoy what it may be or not. I asked that query because with the other men, you took them down with one or two strokes and yet, you left two alive with only minor wounds."

"I have spared their lives for your benefit."

"How are you benefiting myself by sparing two humans that plotted to annihilate the both of us?"

Konaosu's eyes lost all amusement.

"The two men who lay beyond the Seishi Hino have children. Akisu has been poisoning the villager's minds with his lies. If I were to slaughter all these men and in turn kill Akisu their anger would remain, and soon you would have another rebellion on your hands. By showing mercy to the men with children you counter that which Akisu claims. The villagers will understand the fate that beheld the others and will think on the mercy you have shown. Akisu will not gain support for another rebellion, and your time will not be wasted; gaining you the benefit of loyal subjects rather than the other."

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed, `I believe I must scratch off yet another belief for the hanyou race, it appears some have intelligence. Then again, it could only be the females.'

"Never the less you have far out stepped your boundaries. So to redeem yourself in my eye-"

"SESSHOUMARU-SAMA!!!!!"

Konaosu didn't know if she had imagined it, but she thought she saw the mighty taiyoukai actually cringe at the sound of the approaching voice. Konaosu did cringe from the smell that greeted her nose. `I think that I rather prefer the smell of blood over this foul atrocity.'

Sesshoumaru's face slipped back into its usual noncommittal mask before a squat green skinned, yellow bubble eyed frog youkai, carrying a staff with the heads of a young woman and old man came bursting into the clearing panting for breath.

"Sesshoumaru-sama!! Where on earth have you been?! This lowly Jaken has been patiently awaiting your return home!"

Sesshoumaru's glare made the frog youkai wither to the ground.

Konaosu suspected that this "Jaken" had most definitely angered her youkai lord in a way she didn't think included the frog smart mouthing.

"Jaken, Rin has informed this Sesshoumaru that you bestowed the mark on her side for acting up when we are both are aware that she does nothing of the sort. Explain yourself."

The toad paled to a particularly nasty shade of green before stuttering out an explanation.

"S-Sesshoumaru-s-s-sama! R-Rin wouldn't s-stay out of y-your personal stud-"

Konaosu rolled her eyes.

"Excuse me my lord, I hate to interrupt the frog's unintelligible speech, but the men beyond are waking. With your permission I will warn them."

Jaken gave the young woman a grateful look before his expression turned to one of disgust.

" A hanyou?! Sesshoumaru-sama, why do you have a hanyou in your presence?!" He spat the word out like it was a curse.

Sesshoumaru didn't reply and instead looked to Konaosu, as if expecting her to deal with Jaken's demands herself.

"I am your lord's most humble servant."

Jaken's bulbous yellow eyes bulged nearly out of their sockets at this woman's calm response.

"Y-YOU CAN'T!! I am Sesshoumaru-sama's most humble and loyal servant! I have been through everything with milord! Through the multiple losing battles with Inuyasha and through-"

"Jaken, be silent."

Konaosu smiled slightly.

"Perhaps that is why your Sesshoumaru-sama has decided to accept the oath of another servant. It seems that he is in need of capable servants."

"Wench, be silent as well. Your chattering is beginning to annoy me."

Jaken sent her a look that said ha ha, NOW look what YOU did and took his usual place next to Sesshoumaru's side, the staff of heads gripped in his fist.

Sesshoumaru's eyes looked directly towards Jaken and, with a speed only Konaosu saw, picked up a small stone and threw it in one smooth motion, leaving the frog with a rather large lump on his ugly skull.

"Speaking of that particular annoyance. To redeem yourself, Konaosu, go and battle the hanyou called Inuyasha and return to me afterwards."

Konaosu resisted the urge to roll her eyes and gave Sesshoumaru a side long glance instead, before turning away from him and stepping directly into the wall of flames. Her appearance changing as she rested her hand on the Seishi Hino. The sword burst into red tinged white flames, that flowed around her body. Her jeweled red eyes had become a fire of their own and glowed with intensity. She ignored the two youkai behind her and turned her attention to the two conscious men lying on the ground before her. There eyes were wide with fear as they gazed upon her sure that a fire goddess had come to claim their lives.

"Pl-please milady! W-we were following orders, only that!"

"Please Lady of Fire, take mercy, I-I have a wife and two children at home, please don't condemn them!"

Konaosu allowed a merciful expression to alight upon her face.

"Do not be afraid, your taiyoukai has decided to grant you mercy for the sake of your children, but you have not escaped his judgment unscathed. Though your lives have been spared, you will never be able to hold a weapon again. When you return to the villages you will remove yourself from the guard and serve Akisu no more. You will tell the villagers what has befallen here and let it serve as a warning."

The men had tears of both relief and fear streaming down their faces as they bowed low and thanked her.

"Th-thank you! We shall spread the word of your kindness through the villages!"

One of the men snuck a look over at Sesshoumaru through the wall of flames and turned back to Konaosu.

"Say, if it's not a bother, could you manage to explain to the two of us exactly how you managed to tame the most powerful youkai of the land?"

Sesshoumaru's tail gave a definite visible twitch, a very low pitched growl came from his throat as a warning to Konaosu not to play around with what they said. Konaosu struggled to keep a straight face but she could not keep the amusement from her eyes.

"I am afraid that I must keep my secrets to myself." She smiled at the two men and knelt down, pulling out a pouch from her armor.

"Take this, it will help your wounds heal quickly."

The men smiled back, one of the men was actually a very young married man still in his early twenties, he was the one that gave her a rather….suggestive smile and winked at her before helping his friend up.

"Milady, for the blessings you have bestowed on my friend and I, is there something that I, personally can do for you?"

His friend slapped him in the back of the head.

"Shut up you moron! She saved our asses and you flirt to show your thanks?! I hope your mother beat you often before you were married."

"That's cold, what'd I do to deserve that?"

"YOU WERE FLIRTING WITH THE DAMN FIRE GODDESS!! OR IS YOUR BRAIN TOO SMALL TO COMPREHEND THAT?!"

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow,`Fire Goddess? These two must have less brains than even Inuyasha. That must be where Inuyasha received his foolishness… then again, Father was very much a fool himself so, Inuyasha received a double dose of idiocy, Poor idiot.'

The younger guy scowled at his friend as he rubbed the lump that was forming on his head.

"I can't help it! She's gorgeous for cryin out loud! LOOK at her and MAYBE that empty pouch between your ears AND legs will recognize beauty when it's in front of them!"

Konaosu felt heat creep up in her face and knew that she was blushing. She was happy that she stood in the flames for they concealed the rising color in her face.

"I am afraid the only thing that I would ask of you is to honor the grave of my mother, since I am unable. I would be most grateful."

The two men stopped arguing and insulting each other long enough to bow deeply once again, the younger man winked again at her and bowed.

"Thank you milady. Ignore the foolish antics of my friend here, he's too stupid to know any better."

The younger one poked him in the ribs, making the other flinch.

"HEY! Milady, please forgive my friend's ignorance, he's too celibate to appreciate true beauty such as yours. I shall bring flowers and incense to your mother's grave everyday to honor her for giving birth to such a miracle as you."

Sesshoumaru didn't know whether to pity the human male or Konaosu, `I am disgusted by this flirtatious human. I think I may be sick…'

His friend jabbed him in the stomach.

"Fool! Why don't you just ask her to be your damned wife next?! You flatter her enough!"

The young man's eyes lit up.

"Hey, great idea! Say, Goddess would you mind-"

:THWACK!!!!:

The young man now lay on the ground dazed by the blow to the head his friend dealt him.

"I have got to somehow find a way to control this moron."

The older man bowed to Konaosu before grabbing his friend.

"We thank you again, our lives are in your hands."

"So is my heart."

:WHACK!!!:

"Stay silent will you?!"

Konaosu laughed.

"I have one final command for you. As soon as is possible come and claim the bodies of your fallen comrades."

The older man nodded and dragged his friend back towards the village, the sounds of the two insulting and arguing with each other carried back to the three remaining people.

Konaosu rolled her eyes and turned back around. She did not meet the taiyoukai's eyes, instead she closed her own in concentration, seeking out the fallen mercenary bodies. She knelt before her sword drawing the wall of fire in. Opening her eyes she glanced at the two youkai in front of her.

"Hold still."

A small smile lit her face before she returned her attention back to the task at hand. Konaosu took a deep breath as she concentrated on her bond with the sword.

"Seishi Hino…"

As soon as the words were out of her mouth the fire wall changed direction, shooting out from her seeking its targets. The white fire engulfed the bodies of the mercenaries, in moments they were nothing but fine ash. Konaosu stood, the fire vanishing as she did so. The Seishi Hino again resembling a normal sword, Konaosu sheathed her blade and once again turned her attention back to the youkai in front of her. She could not help but notice that Jaken was vigorously fanning himself. `Ah it looks as though he was singed by the flames. Such a pity, I told him to hold still.' Jaken however noticed her scrutiny and made a brave effort to act as if nothing had happened. He had stopped his ridiculous dance and rewarded her with a murderous glare before turning his attention back to Sesshoumaru. Konaosu barely kept a smirk from her face as she did the same.

"Find the hanyou Inuyasha and battle him, is there anything else you wish of me milord?"

Sesshoumaru's eyes betrayed the annoyance he was feeling.

"No. Be sure to return alive if you can. That is all."

"Your concern for my welfare overwhelms me. I will return to you before the sun has set."

"……….."

Jaken gave the woman a glare of hatred that was pretty much mutual in feeling.

Inuyasha scowled back at the band of human travelers that were currently stopped along the dirt path and were discussing something that he had a sneaky suspicion had something to do with him.

(A/N: Inuyasha paranoid? Nooooo)

"HEY! All of you get back to work! Geez, we're trying to hunt Naraku, not talk about the fucking weather!"

Kagome pretended she didn't hear that remark and continued the conversation with Sango and Miroku.

"So it's like that right?"

"No...No, Kagome-sama, like this"

:WHAP!:

"Houshi-sama, that hand traveled much too far south down MY back."

"Ha...ha, my hand must have been possessed again."

"Miroku, grow up."

"Kagome-sama, will you-"

"No Miroku, I won't."

Inuyasha jumped in the middle of the small human group and glared at all of them.

"What the hell are you all blabbering about?! I know you could hear me."

Kagome sighed and muttered something under her breath.

"Everyone could hear you, Naraku could probably hear you…"

Inuyasha glared at her.

"What was that bitch?"

Miroku and Sango both winced and turned slightly away, Miroku having to slip in an extra comment.

"Bad move."

Kagome turned to face Inuyasha and smiled sweetly at him.

"Inuyasha…."

The said hanyou tensed up under the falsely sweet tone Kagome used on him, `Shit!'

"Osuwari..."

:THUD!:

Shippou sighed and jumped to his usual perch on Kagome's shoulder before shaking his head.

"Kagome, why do you even put up with him? He's always like this, never really appreciating all you do for us."

The other two nodded their agreement before walking past Inuyasha with Kagome, Miroku adding in a final jab to Inuyasha's already fragile ego.

"You know Kagome-sama, we haven't seen Kouga for a while now. I wonder what he's up to these days."

Multiple curses followed the four of them as Inuyasha picked himself out of the small crater and stormed after his friends.

"Had to mention that wimpy wolf didn't he? That stupid bouzu!"

Inuyasha caught up in no time with everyone and scowled, a dark look overshadowing his face as he pouted from the command Kagome had said. He suddenly froze up and leapt in front of the rest of his party, Tetsusaiga drawn out and held in front of him. Miroku frowned and stopped, Sango and Kagome following as well.

"Inuyasha?"

Sango turned to Miroku and had a questioning look on her face.

"Houshi-sama, did you say something to summon Kouga somehow?"

"Not that I am aware of."

"Inuyasha…what's wrong?" Kagome asked concerned.

"I sense a large amount of youki coming this way."

Konaosu smiled as she watched the small group stop on the dirt path. `It seems that my presence has finally been sensed. I guess I should not keep them waiting.' Konaosu stepped out onto the dirt path some feet in front of them. Her eyes rested on the hanyou who stood in front of the rest. `This must be Inuyasha. His resemblance to his brother is uncanny; let's see if his temperament is the same.'

"I am here for the one called Inuyasha."