InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha A Feudal Fairytale: Bound By A Promise ❯ Chapter 7: part II ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Konaosu followed in her taiyoukai's wake in a foul disposition. After hours of tossing and turning she had finally managed to fall into the clutches of sleep, only to be roused by the arrogant inu shortly after. In short she was cranky, and unfortunately for her Rin noticed.

 

"Nao-kaa-san, daijabou ka?"

 

Konaosu's eyes narrowed and she glared daggers at the taiyoukai's back.

 

"Yes Rin-chan, I'm fine."

 

Sesshoumaru ignored the heated glare he was receiving from the enraged suzaku woman and continued forward, his expression deadly calm and focused. Rin looked from her okaa-san to the man she considered a father figure and back again, her face puzzled before she realized what was going on.

 

(A/N: Oh man, Rin's gonna fuck this up….)

 

"Rin gets why Nao-kaa-san isn't happy with Sesshoumaru-sama."

 

The taiyoukai's back straightened in the slightest as did Konaosu's as they both expected the worst from the little girl.

 

"Nao-kaa-san helped Sesshoumaru-sama with his bath but left before Nao-kaa-san had Sesshoumaru-sama help her wash up! That's ok, Nao-kaa-san, next time we stop, Sesshoumaru-sama can wash you first!!"

 

Konaosu stared in wonder at the little girl. `I thought she was sleeping…I must watch my charge more carefully.' Her mouth curved into a wicked smile, and to her own surprise she actually laughed. The sound was strange to her own ears for she had not done so for some time.

 

"Rin-chan, I thank you for your assistance, but honor would not dictate it so."

 

Sesshoumaru silently cursed his momentary brain lapse when he had decided to accept her as a servant.

 

`No more toying with the half breed, our next encounter, he dies.'

 

"Honor, will not be enough to save you from this Sesshoumaru. As Rin dictates, you shall assist in bathing this taiyoukai. That is an order."

 

Rin smiled happily and laughed, clapping her hands together and swinging Aun's reins.

 

"Can Rin come too? Then Nao-kaa-san and Rin and Sesshoumaru-sama will be like a family!"

 

The little girl seemed so excited about this oncoming event that she began to fall off Aun's back, one of the heads from the beast craned it's neck around and caught her, pushing her back into the saddle with a low rumble of scolding. She only laughed and hugged the broad neck that joined the heads.

 

"Arigatou Aun, Rin will be more careful, Rin promises!"

 

She looked over at Konaosu.

 

"Does Nao-kaa-san wanna ride with Rin? Rin knows Aun won't mind."

 

Konaosu looked at Rin and smiled.

 

"Of course Rin-chan."

 

`Anything to get away from that egotistical bastard who calls himself a lord!'

 

It took all of her strength not to scowl at the said inu as she passed him to get to Rin.

 

`Order me to bathe him, hmph! This will be one time he regrets his order! Damn inu!!'

 

Konaosu approached Aun, keeping in stride with the large dragon like youkai, and gingerly touched one of the heads, waiting for the youkai's invitation. The twin headed dragon beast gently butted Konaosu's chest, one of the heads nudging her waist towards his back. Rin laughed and clapped her hands together in delight as she hugged Aun's neck.

 

"C'mon Nao-kaa-san! Aun says get on!"

 

Before Konaosu could respond, the adorable little girl called out to the taiyoukai in front of them once more.

 

"Aun says there's room for one more Sesshoumaru-sama! Will you come and ride with Nao-kaa-san and Rin?"

 

Konaosu mounted Aun's back with ease and bit her lip at the little girl's question. For once she held her tongue and patted Aun's neck before grabbing her silk ribbon and pulling her black masses up into a high pony tail.

 

`Please…decline…'

 

The silent taiyoukai continued forward for a good amount of time before replying to the small child's inquiry.

 

"…..not now Rin. Perhaps later."

 

Konaosu released the breath she had been holding. It would have been too uncomfortable to have the taiyoukai that near. She smiled at Rin.

 

"I guess it will only be you and I, Rin-chan. I hope that I will be enough company for you."

 

Rin turned to face Konaosu, her large brown eyes widening slightly as she grabbed one of her hands.

 

"No no! Rin think Nao-kaa-san is a lot of company. Rin just wanted to see if Sesshoumaru-sama wanted to be part of the company too!"

 

A giggle slipped past Konaosu's lips. Shocking her, for she hadn't done that for years, and she gently squeezed Rin's hand.

 

"It's alright, Rin-chan, I was just teasing you. You are very thoughtful and kind to worry over your Lord Sesshoumaru."

 

The mentioned youkai Lord was about to deliver a scathing retort before he stopped and stood still. Aun also halted, a few feet behind the youkai he served. The winds picked up slightly, something in the air caused Aun's hackles to rise, his thick mane bristled sharply as his fangs were bared and a deep menacing growl escaped his twin mouths. Rin's scent filled with concern and a little bit of fright as she began to dismount from Aun's back.

 

"Sesshoumaru-sama…what's wrong with Au.."

 

Sesshoumaru's voice, stern and cold cut through the air and silenced the small child.

 

"Rin, do not remove yourself from Aun's back. Konaosu, you will take Rin far from here, Aun will know of the place I speak of."

 

Aun's growl lowered slightly at the sound of Sesshoumaru's voice, but the tension was still felt as the dragon-beast began to turn and walk back into the forest.

 

Konaosu's stomach had clenched into a knot the moment Naraku's scent had revealed itself. She glared at the taiyoukai as he ordered her departure, and Aun began to obey. Without thinking she placed a hand on the dragon-beasts neck, Aun halted just as quickly as he had begun to proceed.

 

`Naraku waits for my decision…'

 

"You think it is wise to face him alone?"

 

Konaosu's voice held an edge.

 

Sesshoumaru's back was still to her, even as his profile was turned her way, amber eyes were molten gold, tinged slightly with the scarlet streaks Konaosu had been acquainted with earlier. The taiyoukai's tone was harsh and clipped, as if he were saving the brunt of his rage for the unlucky bastard.

 

(A/N: Unlucky bastard?! Whaddya mean unlucky?! You don't raise the ire of a youkai like Sesshoumaru and expect to get away with it! You ask me, he's signed his death warrant when he fucked with Sesshoumaru. *voice drops down to a whisper* Y'know, that particular taiyoukai tends to well, hold a grudge.)

 

"Is there doubt in your mind about this Sesshoumaru's competency to defeat an opponent?

 

Konaosu's hand clenched Aun's mane subconsciously. Her emotions battling each other. Naraku's words tormented her, it was not that she doubted his abilities, it was more that she did not trust another's actions. Naraku's words hinted at something else. Something that she had not grasped but that had put her on edge. Konaosu swallowed her anger.

 

"No, it is not that. I do not doubt you."

 

Sesshoumaru turned to face the hanyou woman, his eyes narrowed as his hand came to rest on Toukijin's hilt.

 

"Then do not inquire into this Sesshoumaru's decisions. You have been given your orders, now obey them and go."

 

With that, the mighty taiyoukai strode into the forest before vanishing from sight in a burst of speed, leaving Aun, Jaken, Rin and Konaosu to themselves.

 

Konaosu eye's flared and she stared a moment at the spot where the taiyoukai had been. Her crimson eyes fell upon the toad.

 

"Jaken, come here."

 

She ordered, her eyes daring Jaken to make a snide retort.

 

The toad youkai did not disappoint. His bulbous yellow eyes bulged a little more as he scowled scornfully at her.

 

"Some nerve you have hanyou wench! I serve Sesshoumaru-sama and only Sesshoumaru-sama. You have been given your orders. Now be a good servant and obey them!"

 

Konaosu smiled the coldest smile that had ever graced her lips.

 

"Fine, then go and serve your Lord! I am sure he will need your skill in the battle with Naraku. Aun."

 

At the sound of his name the great dragon-beast jumped into the air. Konaosu, Rin, and Aun faded into the sky, leaving Jaken in the small clearing.

 

Jaken's eyes bulged even more in a sudden panic as he waved the Jintojo in the air above his head threateningly, screeching up at the retreating figures.

 

"GET BACK HERE YOU TROUBLESOME WENCH! OOH! WHEN SESSHOUMARU-SAMA RETURNS, HE WILL HEAR OF THIS, I SWEAR IT!"

 

Konaosu ignored the toad's voice as they drifted away.

 

`That bastard will not get away with this!!'

 

(A/N: Shi: Now the question is to which bastard is she referring to.)

 

********************************

 

Amber eyes flashed, the intensity of his gaze was equal, if not more so, to a star going supernova as the mighty youkai entered a clearing the size of two and a half football fields, within the clearing, it was abnormally dark, that foul fiend's scent emitted from the very center of the field. With one hand on Toukijin's hilt, Sesshoumaru tread gracefully towards the center of the clearing, his long silver hair glowing slightly in the ever-thickening darkness. His voice was calm and composed, even a tad bored as he spoke into the thick silence.

 

"Still playing games are we Naraku? Have you no other way to…attract those you desire to speak with than to play mind games?"

 

Naraku's cold eyes glinted and he smiled.

 

"Hn, I see you have forgotten to bring what belongs to me. It is no matter I will collect my prize shortly."

 

A small snort of disdain came from the taiyoukai's nose as he settled into a rather…unusually relaxed position, amber eyes hardening slightly.

 

"Your prize as you call her, will not be taken. She belongs to this Sesshoumaru, under an oath she swore herself. Unless I, Sesshoumaru release her from this debt or, in the unlikely event that this Sesshoumaru should perish in battle, only then will she be freed."

 

(A/N: HA! Take THAT you word game playing bastard! And Sess? You're gonna get the freakin BIG ass flame if Nao ever catches wind of this!)

 

Naraku laughed.

 

"You hold yourself in high esteem. I wonder…has this Sesshoumaru endeared himself to his servant. This Naraku does not believe so. I think that I have endeared myself more so with the small interlude we had."

 

A small chuckle escaped Naraku's lips.

 

"I think perhaps that this will be the first time that this Sesshoumaru will learn the true meaning of loss."

 

That didn't settle well with the taiyoukai. The blade was drawn and at Sesshoumaru's side in a blink of an eye, his voice now cold and clipped.

 

"I tire of your pitiful games Naraku. Your…threats are empty and mean nothing. Should you find yourself in need of entertainment, go bother the hanyou pest and his party. I have no time for such trivial matters."

 

Naraku's eyes flashed and his face hardened.

 

"Possessive…are we of a mere hanyou. Very well I have tired of you and desire to claim my suzaku."

 

Naraku held up his hand and blew on it. A dark purple secretion flowed from his finger tips.

 

"Come play with me Sesshoumaru."

 

(A/n: *Yoake screams and is holding her head, eyes tightly shut* IT BUUURRRNNNSSS!!! TAKE IT AWAY, TAKE THESE AWFUL MENTAL EVIL NASTY PICTURES FROM MY MIND! WAAAAH!!! *Yoake runs from the room crying and wailing*)

 

Sesshoumaru's eyes flashed angrily as he raised Toukijin into the air and brought the suddenly glowing blade down, sending an enormous wave of electric blue energy at the evil hanyou that continued to annoy him.

 

"I have told you once before Naraku, I do not play your games and again, what belongs to this Sesshoumaru remains with this Sesshoumaru!"

 

The evil hanyou disappeared, as the blast of energy scorched the ground where he had stood. A chilling laugh filled the clearing.

 

"You will play my games for her."

 

Naraku appeared behind the taiyoukai, a brown twisted tentacle bursting from his body.

 

**************************************

 

Aun landed in a small clearing and Konaosu immediately dismounted.

 

"Rin-chan stay with Aun."

 

Rin's brown eyes immediately filled with fear and tears as she leaped off of Aun and caught Konaosu around the shoulder, her arms wrapping around her neck as her legs folded around the girl's chest. Fear had given the little girl strength and desperation as well. Both were in the small child's voice as she buried her head against Konaosu's back.

 

"Iie! Onegai Nao-kaa-san, don't leave Rin all alone! Sesshoumaru-sama does this often and sometimes he doesn't come back for a very long time!"

 

Konaosu sighed and turned Rin so she held her in her arms.

 

"Rin-chan I must go, if I do not I am afraid that Sesshoumaru-sama will not return to you at all. I must go and bring him back. I will return, I did before, and I will not break my promise now. Besides, you are not alone, Aun is with you. He will keep you safe for me."

 

The very thought of her Sesshoumaru-sama not returning sent the child over the edge. Tear flowed like rain as sobs wracked the small body, arms and legs tightened as Rin wept even harder.

 

"B-but I-if Sesshoum-maru-sama doesn't c-c-c-come back, a-and N-nao-kaa-san doesn't either, Rin will be alone!"

 

Konaosu bit her lip, as she leaned her head beside Rin's ear.

 

"Rin-chan I saved you from the wolves, I will save Sesshoumaru-sama."

 

Rin's eyes widened, she remembered the night she had had that horrible dream and held on tighter to her okaa-san.

 

`Rin wants Nao-kaa-san to stay but, Nao-kaa-san is worried like Rin about Sesshoumaru-sama…Rin can't be selfish this time…'

 

"……OK. But, Nao-kaa-san must return with Sesshoumaru-sama and be OK. Promise??"

 

Konaosu held Rin tighter.

 

"I promise Rin, I won't leave you, and I will bring Sesshoumaru-sama back to you."

 

Konaosu carried the little girl and placed her gently on Aun's back.

 

"Now stay with Aun, do not leave him at all. I will return as soon as I can."

 

Rin gave her Nao-kaa-san another big hug before allowing her hands to wrap around Aun's neck, her eyes were a little swollen from her sobbing, and held a small fragment of fear. Behind this though was a shaky determination and bravery. Aun had gathered a rather large stick and presented it to Rin, the small girl taking it and showing it to Konaosu.

 

"I-If anyone tries to h-hurt Aun, R-Rin will defeat them, like Nao-kaa-san does with the bad people and wolves."

 

After a moment of silence, Rin barely managed to whisper.

 

"Please come back soon Nao-kaa-san, come home safe with Sesshoumaru-sama…"

 

Konaosu kissed Rin's forehead.

 

"I will."

 

She turned to Aun, and placed a hand on the dragon-beast's head.

 

"Keep her safe for me."

 

Aun's heads nudged her side and stomach in agreement and shoved her softly towards the direction his master had gone to. The feeling that Konaosu received from Aun was urgency and the need to be quickly on her way. The dark eyes regarded her carefully before it nudged her again down the road, sending her a feeling of lecture that told her to be careful and to hurry again. A low grumble within the great beast's chest informed Konaosu that he had things taken care of.

 

Konaosu looked briefly at the pair, her affection apparent in her eyes. Before turning and disappearing in a burst of speed.

 

Aun and Rin both watched the woman leave, worry filled both of their hearts as Rin clasped her hands around the pendant she wore and folded her fingers into a praying position.

 

`Kami-sama, watch over and protect my Nao-kaa-san and Sesshoumaru-sama, Rin needs them both very badly and Rin doesn't think she could survive without them. If you hear this guardian spirits, please, bring both of them home safely to Rin.'

 

Her whisper was lost to Konaosu as the hanyou woman raced away.

 

"Please, come back soon Sesshoumaru-sama, Nao-kaa-san. ……Rin misses you already."

 

*************************************************

 

Blood dripped down on to the grass below, staining the ground with scarlet fluid as the two combatants parted from each other's company to opposite sides of the field. Sesshoumaru had managed to avoid the first few strikes against the manipulative half-breed. The battle was beginning to take its toll on both of the fighters, being as the fight had begun two hours or so before now. He was growing increasingly irritated with the way the damnable hanyou was fighting, using dirty attacks that only belittled him in the taiyoukai's eyes. The blood flowed from his lower right side, near his hip where a stray tentacle had pierced through the opening in his armor.

 

`A lucky strike, one that shall not happen again.'

 

Sesshoumaru raised the blade again his eyes closing as he sought out the foul stench of the hanyou who dared to challenge him.

 

`The fool, using another illusion to try and trick this Sesshoumaru.'

 

The blade swung out, as if he was falling for Naraku's trap again. Before the first burst of energy had flown more than four feet towards the fake Naraku, another, bigger blast of Sesshoumaru's blade flew at full speed and strength towards the spot where the actual Naraku was waiting.

 

`I, Sesshoumaru, am not a fool nor toy for your entertainment Naraku!'

 

"Die."

 

Naraku laughed.

 

"Foolish inu, you will be the one to perish."

 

Naraku stood, welcoming the taiyoukai's assault.

 

Sesshoumaru smiled, a very rare and yet, very dangerous action to those who knew him from previous battles. He was not expecting the evil bastard who continuously pursued him to possess his strength and power to just allow his attack to strike him without some kind of ploy in mind.

 

`Come for me then Naraku, then you shall receive the blessings of my talons.'

 

That still accounted for one thing, since Naraku insisted on playing word games, he would do so also.

 

"Are you speaking to another hanyou, Naraku? This Sesshoumaru believes he has used the very same words when dealing with a certain disgrace."

 

The amber eyes glowed like stars in the darkness that they fought in.

 

"The likes of you cannot destroy me, Naraku."

 

(A/N: Hah! Psychological abuse, never leave home without it! Shihaisha: *stares at her friend with a raised eyebrow* And…you came up with that where Yoake?" Yoake: *grins evilly and holds up `The Evil Villainy Handbook for Dumbasses'* From here. It says that because you are an evil person, you have to use the rule of lowering those damn goody two shoes' self esteem by using psychological damage. It not only hurts the people you fight against, but it also makes you look smarter while you're being evil. Shihaisha: *silence* ……mono wa nan demo Yoake.)

 

Naraku's face changed to a dangerous glower and a maniacal smile crossed his lips.

 

"We shall see."

 

Naraku sped abruptly towards Sesshoumaru, tentacles flying.

 

"Let us finish this!"

 

*****************************

 

Konaosu reached the clearing where Sesshoumaru had parted their company earlier. She felt herself pale.

 

`Blood…'

 

Her hand tightened on the Seishi Hino as she ran faster.

 

`You will not win this, Naraku!'

 

She quickly covered the distance, and she stopped in horror, as her eyes assessed the battle. Naraku was coming straight at Sesshoumaru, but this was not what caused the ill feeling in her stomach. Naraku was not content to battle Sesshoumaru by himself. He had concealed three of his Kugutsu in the miasma. Konaosu knew that Sesshoumaru had sensed the Kugutsu's presence, but he would not be able to dodge them all.

 

`DAMN him!!'

 

Tentacles flew from all directions towards the taiyoukai, and Konaosu flew into the fray.

 

*******************************

 

The scent of lilac and flames suddenly embraced the taiyoukai as a mass of long silky raven colored hair obscured his vision. He knew this scent all too well.

 

`FOOL! Do you not see what you are about to do?!'

 

And yet he could do nothing to stop what was to come. Caught off guard by Konaosu's arrival, Sesshoumaru felt himself descending down towards the blood stained earth. Konaosu's hand gripped one shoulder as her other hand found his other shoulder and grasped it as well, shoving him out of the way of the oncoming tentacles.

 

`Konaosu, are you hoping to release yourself from my possession by sacrificing your life?'