InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha: Our Version ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
Prologue
 
Call me Ishmael, my name is Kagome, but you can call me Ishmael. Haha. Anyway I'm going to tell you my strange yet true story. It started on the day before my 15th birthday. The alarm clock went off around six that morning and I stumbled out of bed to my dresser and pulled out my favorite tank top and a pair of jeans (the low cut ones that my mother HATES). My tank top was black with a Happy Bunny© picture that had the caption “You Suck and That's Sad” in orange lettering. Then I pulled my hair out of it's pony tail and let it fall halfway down my back. I love my hair. It took two years, but my mom finally let me get it cut like the American singer Aaliyah's (God rest her soul) with a long, side cut bang framing the right side of my face. I dye the tips of my hair on a weekly basis. This week's color is red. My mom doesn't like it much, she'd prefer those poofy bangs I had when I was five. I put on my army cap and went downstairs.
“Kagome!” my mother called as I came up behind her. “Breakfast!”
“Sheesh, ma!” I said. “I'm right here!”
“Kagome, don't sneak up on me like that! You nearly gave me a heart attack!”
“Sorry! So what's for breakfast?”
“Waffles and eggs.”
“Yum!'
“Good morning, beautiful women!” my grandfather said as he sat at his place at the table.
“Morning, Grampa!”
“Morning, Dad.”
“Hey, Gramps,” said my brother, Souta.
“Hello, Souta.” My grandfather turned to me and motioned me closer. “I have something for you.”
“Ooo! Birthday presents already?” I said clapping my hands. “But my birthday's not until tomorrow.”
“Well, I couldn't wait.” Grandpa pulled out a long box wrapped in silver paper and handed it to me.
“Grandpa, you shouldn't have!” I quickly unwrapped the beautifully presented box and pulled out… a mummified hand. “You really shouldn't have.”
“I knew you'd love it. It's a kappa paw. It will bring you good luck and…”
“Pepe!” I called my huge boxer. “Food!” Pepe got up from his place in the living room and sniffed the hand. Even he didn't want it.
“Hey!” my grandpa protested. My mom and little brother laughed in the background.
“Hey, Souta, shake my hand!” I waved the hand under his nose.
“Eww, sis! That's foul!” Souta got up from the table and put his plate in the sink. He walked out the back door with Pepe close behind.
“You young people have no respect,” Grandpa fumed.
“I'm sorry, Grandpa. Thanks, really.” I gave him a quick peck on the cheek and grabbed my backpack (it was a horrible yellow color that my mother picked out). I said good-bye to my mom and grandpa then left through the back door.
“Kagome,” Souta called to me. He was crouched by the well house door.
“You know mom said were not supposed to play around here,” I said as I walked over.
“I know, but Pepe's down there. Can you get him out?”
“Ugg! Come on, Souta! Are you a man or a mouse?”
“Neither, I'm a six and a half year old boy and Pepe's more your dog than mine!”
“Fine.” I gave Souta my book bag and ventured bravely into the unknown.
“Pepe,” I whispered into the darkness. I heard scratching in from somewhere in the room.
“Pepe.” The scratching got louder and I could tell it was coming from the well. I slowly made my way towards the well in the center of the room. My breath was short and shallow and I had broken out into a cold sweat. When I was five feet from the well, I licked my lips and swallowed. Just as I opened my mouth to call my dog again…
“Woof!”
“Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!” I screamed.
“Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!” screamed Souta.
“Pepe! You stupid dog!” I said as I grabed Pepe's collar. “You did that on purpose! You nearly gave me a heart attack!” As I turned to go upstairs, the scratching started again and I heard the sound of wood splintering. I spun back towards the well and saw the biggest effin' bug I ever seen in my life burst out.
“You have it,” she said. “I can feel it!” The bug lady grabbed my waist and pulled me into the well. At the last second, Pepe bit one of her legs and was pulled in, too.
“Kagomeeee!” I heard Souta scream. I didn't realize I had my eyes closed until I opened them and saw that I was floating in pinkish purple void.
“Give me the jewel!” the bug lady hissed.
“I don't know what the freak you're talking about!” I grabbed her face and a pink light flashed from my hands and the bug lady let me go, screaming in pain. I saw Pepe had let her leg go and was slowly floating towards me. Then I blacked out.