InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha ❯ Inuyahsa ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A stout old man surveyed the area with some remorse. “Oh, dear, oh dear,” he said, wiping his brow and investigating the remains of a recently slain demon. “They really did a number on you, didn't they?” He said to the remains, although it would seem that the remains were in no position of responding.
 
Scratching his chin and looking to the sky, he said aloud, “I hope you at least served your purpose.” Smiling, he walked away in a small trot beginning to whistle to the tune of his favorite drinking song. However, he stopped after hearing a woman's very hyper voice.
 
“HEY, YOU THERE!” Kagome yelled from on top of Kirara next to Sango. The old man, who had appeared to be a monk, seemed suspicious wandering around the area where they battled the sludge demon not too long ago.
The monk looked up weakly to the sky. He saw a familiar face, and he was curious to why she seemed so distressed. He waved at her. “Ah, young lady! Have you found happiness?”
Kagome's jaw dropped. “Huh?”
Sango looked over to her, “Shall we land and find out what's going on?”
Kagome nodded dumbly, still shocked at the monk's reaction to her.
When Kirara descended, Kagome disembarked and ran right over to the monk. As she got closer to him, she realized that he seemed familiar to her.
“You! What are you doing here?” She jabbed a finger at him. “Do you know anything about this sludge demon?”
He gave her an amused stare. “My dear, I will answer your question when you answer mine.”
Kagome's anger was beginning to rise. She didn't have time to play games. She could feel the presence of four (very horny) demons coming toward her position and fast.
 
“Look, I don't know what you're going on about, but I'm surely NOT happy!” She finally said, still poking a finger at him. “I don't know who you are, but if you're involved with this sludge demon, I want answers!”
 
The monk's face fell. Kagome and Sango were surprised that he had suddenly become sad. “Oh, dear, this is not good. First, you don't remember me, and then you say you are not happy. This is really distressing indeed.”
“What do you mean? Should we know you?” Sango chimed in. Kagome looked at him long and hard trying to see any resemblance.
“We met not too long ago, although I was not in this form,” the man clarified.
“Form?” Kagome asked.
Sango turned to her and said, “Kagome, this man is a raccoon spirit in an old man's disguise.”
The old man beamed brilliantly at Sango's keen senses. He rewarded her by revealing his true form. With an audible pop, he transformed into a fat raccoon with a long gray beard and squinty little eyes. His fat tail swished happily behind him.
And when Kagome saw his true form, his identity dawned on her. “Wow! I remember now…”
 
-----------------------------------------
 
Two months ago …
 
It had been a routine day in Feudal Japan. Not only were they no where near finding out Naraku's location, they were bored out of their minds with quiet little villages that had no problems for heroes to fix. They weren't even graced with the demon of the month club, and they were figuring that the demons in the area really WERE scared of Naraku and remaining in hiding.
Though, it was all good because no one got hurt, but it was also very uneventful and walking all day from village to village was hard on their feet and heavy on their sanity.
Inu Yasha suffered the worst of all. He CRAVED danger and fighting, and the most he was getting was helping old men carry their harvest food back to the village. If he heard another “Thank you, sonny,” he was going to scream.
Kagome let out a big sigh. It was obvious her nerves were wearing thin as well. Kikyo had been trailing close and parallel to their position, and even though Kagome was grateful the somber priestess did not join them, she would often have to give up Inu Yasha's company so he could see her during the night.
 
And he would see her often.
 
It also didn't help that she had a big algebra exam in a week, and she had been trying to study on the nights that Inu Yasha had left them alone. And like always, Miroku and Sango would give her pitying faces. She groaned inwardly, `YOU concentrate on something when you're mind is in a frenzy about what you're `boyfriend' is doing with his ex.' She wanted to say that to them, but then she would be just fed more sympathy.
The fifth night that Inuyasha disappeared to speak with Kikyo had been her worst. She couldn't sleep, and she kept having the strangest visions in her head.
 
“Oh, hohohoho, foolish girl,” Kikyo would laugh in her mind, strangely dressed in red and white bondage wear, stroking Inu Yasha's chest and drinking chardonnay. Inu Yasha would gaze at her lovingly and stroke his fingers through her hair. He was always strangely dressed in a large fuzzy dog suit like some sport's team mascot. Then Kikyo would cackle viciously. “She thinks we're just here to talk. If she only knew the things we DO each and every night.”
Then Inu Yasha would whimper, “Yes, mistress.” And stick his tongue out and dutifully pant for her.
And if seeing Kikyo tug a metal studded leather dog collar around Inu Yasha's neck wasn't a scary enough visual for her, she would wake up right quick slightly terrified, slightly aroused from the images her exhausted mind would conjure up.
 
She awoke that particular night in the early morning, only to see her companions sleeping and Inu Yasha still not at camp.
She sighed, looking around nervously and shivering in the cold air. There was no way she was going to sleep after a nightmare like that. She was more than uneasy when Inu Yasha was not there with them.
The morning after that horrendous night had been the day they met the raccoon spirit. Kagome hadn't felt so lousy since she flunked her last huge math exam and Inu Yasha had hogged her bed. She was half asleep when Inu Yasha returned to camp around the rising of the morning sun. He must have realized that she was half awake, and he wondered if she was just waking from sleeping all night.
If he only knew that she hadn't slept at all and had been waiting for him.
So, as the day started, they all headed back toward the direction of a vague clue of Naraku and passed by a village of raccoon spirits. Sango felt it wise to deter from the village, not wanting to cause any trouble because she wasn't sure how these spirits took to humans. Shippo suggested investigating the village alone, but Kagome, who was in a surly mood to begin with, was adamantly against it. Her shrill voice had stirred some animosity in Inuyasha, and the two of them began fighting again.
 
“Woman, just let the kit go! He'll be fine by himself. He's got powers, and he sure as hell ain't as weak as you!” Inu Yasha growled at her.
 
“Jerk! How dare you say that to me! I'm just concerned about Shippo's safety, and getting away from YOU would be more than a blessing for me right now!”
 
“What's that supposed to mean!?” He yelled, offended.
 
“What I MEAN is that at least Shippo wouldn't abandon me every night!” Kagome said, earning a pale look from Inu Yasha. He was still steamed, but appearing a little guilty.
 
He sputtered, “I don't know what you're blathering about! Just let the damned kid go! He's not going to be long, and we can wait for him here! You'll just have to put up with me for a little longer!”
 
“Humph! That's what I tell myself everyday, but the twitching just doesn't go away!” She roared, and Miroku actually let loose a snicker on that one. Kagome turned and briefly glared at him, prompting him to return himself to a calm, collected demeanor.
 
“Keh!” he said, crossing his arms and jumping into a nearby tree. “You do whatever you want, wench. Don't come crying to me if you get yourself killed!”
 
And while he was settling in the tree, Kagome waited until he was rightly comfortable and said, “Inu Yasha…” Her voice was suspiciously sweet. “SIT!”
 
Miroku, Sango, and Shippo winced on cue, as they heard and felt Inu Yasha's inevitable crash into the ground. They mutually sighed.
 
“Young lady,” a voice behind them broke the awkward moment. Everyone sans Inu Yasha turned to the source of the new voice. Inu Yasha grumbled without a care as dirt crackled in between his teeth.
 
“Can we help you?” Kagome asked, her normal sweetness returning to her voice. Inuyasha had been served his justice, now she could go back to her normal self.
 
The old man cleared his throat as the others watched him. “I apologize for eavesdropping, but I was under the impression that you were going into that village?”
 
“Um…yeah,” Kagome said, clutching Shippo to her chest. “We're going right now, as a matter of fact.”
 
“Ah, good!” The old man said jubilantly. “Please, let me accompany you! I know my way around this village, and would very much like some company as I return to my home. I am always excited to meet travelers!”
 
Kagome sighed, feeling relaxed. The old man's kind nature was subduing her temper that Inu Yasha had stirred not a moment ago. She smiled. “Sure, why not?”
 
Shippo eyed him curiously. “You're a raccoon spirit, aren't you?”
The old man nodded. “That is correct, lad. I was born and raised in this village. I'm known as something of the village apothecary.”
“Really?” Kagome asked, somewhat interested. Maybe she could learn some new tips about healing and medicines from him. With a quick wave good-by to the others in their group, Kagome, Shippo, and the old man headed in the direction of the raccoon spirit village.
 
“Quite right, although I'm not as revered as you may assume,” the old man continued as they walked on. “Most people in the village view me as sort of an eccentric old fool,” he said rather bluntly, laughing at himself.
 
Upon hearing that, Kagome internally sighed and rolled her eyes. Shippo eyed the old raccoon spirit curiously. She dreaded the direction this conversation was going.
 
“What? The people in the village don't trust your practice?” Shippo asked with interest.
 
“Oh, not at all,” The old raccoon waved his hand in the air. “It's just they think I'm odd because of my side business to my medical role.”
 
“Side business?” Kagome asked quickly.
 
He gave her a wide smile. Eyes that had been shut in pure merriment had opened to give her a creepy, all-knowing stare.
 
“Quite.” He said. “I dapple in helping couples with their problems. I'm sort of a relationship specialist.”
 
“Oh, is that so?” and Kagome had to resist from laughing. She saw the village appearing quickly before them down the path. She prayed to get there, ditch the old coot, and hopefully get some supplies for the group. She had enough stress for one day, so she really didn't want any more surprises.
 
Seeing that she was trying to be disinterested in his story, the old raccoon eyed her spiritedly even more motivated to engage her.
 
“So, young lady, tell me,” he began to ask, and Kagome swallowed a forming lump in her throat. No, she didn't like where this was going at all. “Do YOU have any problems I could assist with?”
 
“Nope, not really,” she giggled nervously, slapping on a fake smile. Shippo gave her a quizzical look.
 
“Mister, if you're really what you say you are, maybe you CAN help Kagome,” Shippo said. The raccoon seemed interested.
 
“No, don't worry about it, Shippo,” She lightly tapped him repeatedly on the top of his head, quickly increasing the hardness of her tap as she continued to touch him. With her last `tap,' Shippo had felt some slight pain. Kagome's face was contorted in a scary look as she tried to be happy, but her eyes were piercing at him with a strict warning.
 
“Oh? Are you sure? I saw you arguing with that half demon back there. I definitely felt some chemistry between you,” the old raccoon scratched his chin. “Though, it did seem that things were not going well.”
 
`Crap,' Kagome thought, glaring at Shippo quickly and then beaming at the old man to be nice. `The old guy took Shippo's bait.' She got a queasy feeling in her stomach.
 
“Yeah, things are complex, but you don't need to trouble yourself about it,” Kagome giggled nervously again. “I mean, we just met, and I'm a little weary of strangers.”
 
The old raccoon spirit gave her a wide-eyed look. “Oh? I suppose you're right. Well, if you change your mind, you know where to find me.”
 
“Kagome, why don't you just listen to his advice,” Shippo tugged on her sleeve and gave her some pleading eyes. `Damn cute fox demons and their cute eyes!' But then he had to go and add, “C'mon, the rest of us can't take the tension anymore.”
 
Kagome sighed. `He does have a point, even though she really didn't want to involve some outsider in her personal affairs. Her friends back home were quite enough. “Look, Shippo. We have a bigger mission to carry out than worrying about my love life. Let's just drop it, okay?” He dropped his head at her chiding. She felt bad since he was only trying to help her out, so she ruffled his hair affectionately, without any underlying anger. Shippo nodded slowly and gave her a small smile that he understood. The old raccoon spirit watched their interaction with much interest.
 
“Well, we're here at the village, sir,” Kagome said, smiling at the old man. “Thanks for the company, but we'll be on our way. Just point us to the local market, so we can get our supplies.”
 
“Of course, I hope you find your visit in this village a peaceful one. The people here are really kind spirits, even to humans,” the old raccoon said, pointing to his right to alleys with fresh prosperous stands full of merchandise.
 
Kagome sighed in relief and smiled. “That's a relief, and we were all worried about these spirits for nothing.” She turned her head to Shippo and said, “Let's go. Miroku gave us some money to bring back some food and medicine.” Her fox companion nodded, and together they waved at the old man as he watched them disappear from his sight.
 
-----------------------------------
 
Kagome screeched. She jabbed a finger at the old man as the memory became clear in her mind. Her screeching had died down to a soft whimper. “You! I told you not to interfere with my love life! What exactly DID you do?”
 
Kagome was panicking. Everything was becoming clear now. The prophecy, the sludge demon, and all those strange behaviors of all her demon acquaintances were all reasons she was in this crazy situation.
 
“Did you tell Sesshoumaru and Naraku some weird prophecy to impregnate me?! Oh my Gods, you're horrible!” She screamed, clutching the sides of her head to keep it from splitting open.
 
The old raccoon spirit looked at her dumbfounded. “Prophecy? Dear, girl, what are you talking about?” He looked at Sango in confusion. “I don't know what she's talking about. Is her mental health degraded from this ordeal?”
 
Sango nodded her head solemnly. “It would be best if you told us everything you did so we can clear this up. Pretty soon, four very powerful demons are coming for her to make her his mate.”
 
The old man's eyes widened. He barely choked out his words, “Ff ---four? Four powerful demons are coming?” He stuttered. “The spell was only supposed to work for the one. You mean to tell me this girl has four demons attracted to her?”
 
“Attracted? What do you mean?” Sango asked as Kagome continued to sob on the ground. She turned her head to her crying friend and said rather harshly, “Oh, stop that and get up, Kagome!” Kagome listened quite quickly to Sango's turned, and stood straight up while wiping away a few stray tears.
 
“Well, yes, the sludge demon is a living incarnation of a powerful love potion created in the West. The quality I had was so potent that I had to tweak the magic on the sludge demon so that she didn't attract the whole countryside. So, I manufactured the demon to only affect demons with an initial slight attraction or desire for her. I didn't realize she knew FOUR demons!” The raccoon spirit shook his head sadly. “Oh dear, oh dear, this is distressing indeed.”
 
“Can the wallowing!” Kagome said harshly, recovering from her stupor and pointing her finger at him again. “I don't know what that was all about a prophecy, but you need to reverse this crazy spell and get these demons away from me!”
 
“Wait, I'm slightly confused,” Sango said, her rational mind staggering from the convoluted nature. “You said that these demons have to have a pre-existing attraction to Kagome in order to actually react to her? How can that be? Inu Yasha and Koga I can see, but Naraku and Sesshoumaru? That's just plain insane.”
 
“Well, Naraku wants me for my powers and because I look like Kikyo, so I can see him,” Kagome said tapping her chin pondering, “But Sesshoumaru?”
 
“That's a new one!” Sango said sarcastically. “Who would have thought such androgynous, egotistical guy could have a crush on you Kagome.” Then Sango began to laugh.
 
“Hey! That's not nice!” Kagome yelled, and it only seemed to fuel Sango's laughter. And before Kagome could chide her further, she froze as she felt a sense of dread overtake her.
 
Her lip quivered. “Oh Gods, they're here.” She winced. Sango looked quickly behind her, only to see Naraku flying toward them from the Southwest. Sesshoumaru was flying on his cloud from the West, and she saw Inu Yasha bounding toward them underneath Sesshoumaru. She saw Kouga's familiar wind closing in on them from her side as well.
 
Kagome turned to the little old raccoon, shaking in anxiety and trying to rush him to help her and then away. “Look, tell me what I need to do to expel the spell, and then you better get out of here. When those demons find out you manipulated them, especially Sesshoumaru and Naraku, you'll be totally murdered for sure. They will show you no mercy either. They are HIGHLY dangerous, and will not like being used by anyone.” The force of her words frightened the old spirit and he nodded in agreement.
 
“All right, I understand, but the only way you can dispel the spell is to choose one of them, admit your feelings out loud, and the one under the spell who claims your affection will neutralize the effects in the others,” The old raccoon spirit flinched sheepishly and added, “So I was told.”
 
“ARGH! I really did not need to hear that last part!” Kagome spun around swiftly and put her hands on her hips. She made a rigid face of determination and met the demons in front of her with courage. “Okay! It's all up to me now! Sango, it would be best if you took our friend out of here!”
 
“But Kagome…will you be all right by yourself?” Sango asked her worriedly.
 
Kagome's laugh was strong at first, but died into a muffled cry that she quickly masked away. “Don't worry, I have to confront them, and it's now or never.”
 
Sango hesitated for a moment. “So you're really going to choose one, Kagome?”
 
The four demons' ears perked to Sango's statement. Kagome met the engaging eyes of Naraku, then Sesshoumaru, then Inu Yasha, and then the deep eyes of Koga.
 
“Yes, for the sake of sanity and to end this farce,” she sucked in her breath and looked at each of them with empowerment.
 
“I will make my decision right now and choose one of them to be my mate!”
 
TBC…