InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ It's my Life ❯ Going there, getting there, and everything inbetween. ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: Ok, now obviously I don’t own this, any original characters that pop up, yeah those are mine. But everyone else, those are all owned by Rumiko Takahashi.


“I can’t believe you left him like that!” Sess-youkai complained loudly. Sesshomaru sighed, the damn thing had been bitching at him ever since he had walked away from his sibling, it was getting tiresome.

Inuyasha himself had stormed away from the group, seating himself up in a new tree some three hundred or so feet away.
Still….Sesshomaru was a little pleased with himself, perhaps that was how he would deal with Inuyasha when the boy went to far, arouse him. Swatting his bottom did sound good, but it would cause pain, however slight, and perhaps put a sense of helplessness into Inuyasha. Which would undoubtedly push Inuyasha to -prove- himself somehow.

But this…how could Inuyasha hold it against him? “You did pleasant things to my body!” How could that possibly be used against him? Granted it only worked because Inuyasha didn’t necessarily want it, and it wasn’t as if Sesshomaru was taking extreme liberties with the hanyou’s body, it was a tease…nothing more.

Something Sesshomaru was experiencing first hand himself, his poor body was still throbbing with need. But…such were the hardships of developing a sudden overbearing attraction to your cranky, traumatized, easily angered hanyou half brother…..

What did worry Sesshomaru was the rapid change in Inuyasha’s behavior. He had been correct, he had approached Inuyasha as more like a child and it had worked, Inuyasha had been about to apologize, Sesshomaru was sure of it. But at the very last second the boy had changed his mind.

Why?

Sesshomaru had seen the change go through Inuyasha, even if he had not been able to figure it out at the time. But for the life of him he could not work out what had caused it, and that made him worry.

He had touched Inuyasha to help reassure him, to show his support…and then…bam.

Spooning up a bit of the stew out of the bowl that had been delivered to him, Sesshomaru chewed lightly. It warmed his insides a bit, and he was able to take a small comfort in its rich flavor.

Which he needed….he certainly wasn’t getting much comfort from anything else. He just felt so…horrible lately.

He thought he was making tiny, baby steps of progress with his brother, but that did nothing to sooth the demanding aches inside of him. So…he would take what he could get, and a good, warm meal wasn’t bad.

He would have to commend Retsu, good stew normally took hours, but somehow the chef had created a delight in just one.

The demon in thought was currently standing under Inuyasha’s treat, quizzing the hanyou as to how he wanted his lunch. A redundant action, it was stew and bread warmed over a special flat rock, but one Sesshomaru himself had requested. He was reluctant to have Daigon place medicine in the bowl only to have Inuyasha refuse to eat, or throw the bowl at someone. Still…Sesshomaru felt that was unlikely, the smell alone was enough to make him, who normally preferred his food raw and fresh, mouth water.

So it seemed unlikely that Inuyasha would-

FUCK OFF!”

-Or perhaps caution was the wise choice after all.

Daigon gave Sesshomaru a look as Retsu, shaking his head the whole way, made his way back to them. It seemed hard to believe that Inuyasha would refuse food of all things, but the hanyou was one to hold a grudge and did prefer to sulk alone.
Sesshomaru took a bite of bread as a sighing Retsu stopped in front of him.

“The Lord Inuyasha respectfully declines to both join us and eat lunch.” The chef said sarcastically. Sesshomaru nodded, and thought about it for a moment. He didn’t expect Inuyasha to be this angry, but generally when a child threw a fit they actually wanted attention, if you left them alone they usually would calm down so…

“Divide his portion among the rest then.” Sesshomaru said.

Pleased noises echoed from the collective group, waste not want not, and the stew was quite good. Then quieter Sesshomaru added to Retsu only.

“But please be prepared in case.”

Inuyasha might decide he was hungry after all, he couldn’t stay angry forever.

The chef nodded and went about his business. Daigon sighed and began to place the concoction he had mixed up back in his carry bag.

“What can I do Daigon? I cannot make him eat.” Sesshomaru said softly.
“No…you’ve done your best Daigon thinks. This one simply does not understand your sibling.”

“If you figure him out…let me know.” Sesshomaru whispered. He took another bite of his stew.

A small comfort indeed….

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“I can’t believe he just left us like that!” Inu-youkai bitched. “What kind of mate gets you all hard and ready and then just leaves you!?”

Yeah it was pissed, but so was Inuyasha, though for a different reason.

How dare Sesshomaru humiliate him like that! It was bad enough how touchy Sesshomaru was getting lately, but just up and molesting him like that…slimy bastard.

He could hear laughter from the group, probably all laughing at him, but what else was new?

Inuyasha stomach growled….fuck he was hungry, but he just didn’t have the energy to go hunt.

“Okay…I don’t even want to hear it. There is food right down there, smells great to.” Inu-youkai said.

Yeah it did, but Inuyasha had promised himself something and he was going to keep it. Glaring at Sesshomaru’s back Inuyasha growled, asshole thought he was so smart. Well that was just fine, he’d get his….Inuyasha wasn’t about to let this go without a bit of payback. All he had to do was decide just what he wanted to do.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sesshomaru rubbed at his temple as he watched Retsu put all of his equipment back into this cart. It was only a little after noon but it certainly felt like it should be later in the day. But there wasn’t much point in dwelling on all that had happened so far, it wouldn’t get him anywhere and it was time to go.

Sesshomaru drew his gave to the tree Inuyasha still inhabited, the boy had not left it once since he had gone up there. Did he not wish for food? Drink? Sesshomaru knew that nagging the boy would do no good, but he still refused to allow the hanyou to neglect his health and needs.

That thought initiated another. Was Inuyasha simply feeling the need to prove something once again. It seemed silly to think that the boy would suffer something just to show that he could. But…Inuyasha was not the most logical person in the world after all.

This was getting ridiculous, if he could not manage a break through with Inuyasha soon he was going to have to do something drastic….which he had no idea of what that should be.

Weighing his options Sesshomaru debated on how to inform Inuyasha of their readiness. He wanted to tell Inuyasha personally, but the hanyou just seemed to get angrier when he was near, which hurt. Deciding to try something new Sesshomaru took a deep breath.

“Inuyasha! We are ready to leave little brother!” He bellowed. Probably a mistake but…what did he have to lose?

To his utter surprise Inuyasha instantly hopped out of his tree and began making his way towards them. That couldn’t be the way Inuyasha preferred to be summoned could it? A sense of wariness filled Sesshomaru, something was going on.

All were silent as they got back on the road, both a blessing and a curse, because although Sesshomaru was glad Inuyasha was not snipping and snarling at everyone around him, he was also disheartened that Inuyasha still made no attempt to converse with him, which he knew was stupid, and that he should stop feeling that way. Not to mention that nagging feeling of…wrong had not withdrew.

What would it take to get Inuyasha to look upon him as a true brother?

That was the one thought burning in his brain, even though he had so much more he should have been worrying about. He just couldn’t seem to focus on anything else. He knew Inuyasha did consider him his brother, Inuyasha called him that and did acknowledge their kinship, but….Inuyasha treated him more like an enemy, one that he was forced to work with.

Sesshomaru was pretty sure when Inuyasha looked at him the words -Brother. Family- did not enter his head, and that was what he needed to figure out how to cause.

All he wanted to do was ask Inuyasha what it would take, but he just knew he would be met with nothing but sarcasm and scorn.

Sesshomaru was temporarily drawn out of his thoughts once he spotted two demon’s blocking the road up ahead.

What now?

“Ah! Why it’s the Lord Sesshomaru.” The blue haired demon on the left exclaimed once they neared.

“So it is.” The gold haired one of the right said. “A warning if your heading up the road.”

“What is it.” Sesshomaru asked, another headache no doubt.

“Big fight a few miles up. Two human armies.” Blue said.

“Yeah…two human Lords.” Extreme Sarcasm on the world Lords. “Throwing their men at each other for…some reason. Getting pretty bloody. No real threat to you I’m sure, but you’ll get sucked in and that’ll just be a big pain in the ass.” Gold added.

“Figures…” Inuyasha chuckled. “Always something.”

Well…at least the two of them were in agreement on something.

“Any idea when they might knock it off?” Ko asked. Blue shook his head.

“No idea, both sides have a rather large gathering, not to mention word is that the two human leaders have been doing quite a bit of chest beating as of late.”

Sesshomaru was in no mood to wait, especially not with Inuyasha being so foul tempered lately, but he was also not in the mood to get pulled into some stupid human conflict. On a good day he might get involved, teach the human’s and their so called Lords was REAL power was. He also found it rather annoying for them to wage war inhis lands. But he didn’t have the energy for such trivial things, plus there were only a few short hours until night so…

“Your orders sire?” Preve asked. Using the road was no necessary to reaching their destination, it simply took them around a forest, and was a bit smoother.

The wind shifted and a huge blast of the scent of human blood hit Sesshomaru, Inuyasha himself exhaled forcefully through his nose, indicating that the truth was indeed being told.

“We just go the straight way, through the forest. I have little patience for human antics at the moment.” Sesshomaru replied.

“As you wish.” Preve said.

“Thank you for the warning.” Sesshomaru said.

“No thanks needed.” Blue stated.

“Good travels.” Gold responded.

And so off the road they went, silence taking over once again, only disturbed by the chunking of Retsu’s cart, fortunately the ground was solid and not to rocky.
After a while Sesshomaru’s sensitive ears caught the faint sound of thunder. Drawing his eyes to a large mountain above the forest they were just about to enter Sesshomaru saw that they sky was indeed dark above it, with the occasional flash of lightning.

“Its raining on the mountain.” Preve muttered. “Looks damn nasty too….fortunately it looks like its already past us.” Inuyasha looked sideways at it, a strange gleam in his eyes and a slight smirk. Well…perhaps that was a good sign? Or maybe Inuyasha was just happy he wouldn’t get rained on.

Night continued to fall and not long after they entered the forest they found themselves walking through a small gully. It was somewhat interesting, Sesshomaru had never gone this way before, this big grove in the land. It was maybe fifteen feet deep, but the sides were steep.

“Boy…its getting hard to see.” Atrius muttered. Indeed now that they had entered the forest it was pitch black.

“Maybe we should call it a night.” The other kitsune, Wasil, said.

Hmmm perhaps-

“I like that idea, its getting late anyways.” Inuyasha suddenly said, actually sounding normal.

“Very well then. We bed down for the night.” Sesshomaru agreed as he came to a halt. He didn’t mind accommodating Inuyasha, he just wished the hanyou would appreciate it a little. Now they just needed to decide where to sleep.

As if reading his mind Wasil spoke up.

“This doesn’t look like a bad stop, grass is nice and soft.”

“I don’t like it…its not tactically sound.” Preve complained.

“Oh come on…who is going to attack us in the West? Not to mention do you want to push that cart of Retsu’s up on of these sides?” Wasil sounded.

Both were good points, but before Sesshomaru could make up his mind a few of the men were already getting comfortable. He didn’t really blame them, they wore heavier armor then he did, and they had covered quite a bit of ground today.

As Sesshomaru himself curled his tail up for bedding Inuyasha leaped out of the gulley and into another tree. Which was disappointing, Sesshomaru would have liked another night curled around Inuyasha.

“What? Do we stink or something?” Po asked jokingly.

“I don’t’ sleep on the ground…” Inuyasha replied defensively. Sesshomaru held up his hand to have the matter dropped. He knew why Inuyasha slept in trees, it was something that had kept the boy alive, and those habits were almost impossible to break.

Still…as he laid his head down on the soft fur of his tail he had a nagging feeling that he was forgetting something important, but he couldn’t quite put his finger on it. No surprise really, his mind was tired, to much stress and not nearly enough relief.

The last thing Sesshomaru heard before he drifted off was the faint sound of Inuyasha chuckling.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ses shomaru awoke suddenly, slightly disorientated, but his whole body popped up without his approval. Looking around he struggled to discover what had caused such a dramatic action. He didn’t smell anyone other then them, he didn’t hear anything suspicious, just breathing and the faint sound of rushing water, probably a stream around somewhere. Yet…his instincts were screaming that there was danger, but where was it? Why was he on edge suddenly?

“Alert.” Sesshomaru said firmly. Almost instantly the solders rose, taking battle positions instinctively.

“What is it?” Alir asked.

“I dunno…I don’t see anything.” Tren answered. “Lord?”

“I…do not know…but something is…wrong.” Sesshomaru stated. Sesshomaru kicked himself mentally, that sounded so stupid, all the trouble with Inuyasha was wreaking havoc on his inner workings.

Which had never happened in his dealings with the hanyou before, but…he had finally accepted Inuyasha, and ever since he had started to truly look upon the boy as family, he had been able to affect Sesshomaru to a greater degree. Which was not totally a bad thing, the few good moments they had shared were the most satisfying, fulfilling moments he had had since his Father had passed on.

“Does anyone else hear…water?” Atrius asked. It was strange but...yes the rushing water sound had become louder.

“Probably a river nearby or something.” Ko muttered.

“The wind says danger…but where?” Daigon said.
Where indeed.

“Why is it you elemental people never get descriptive warnings?” Wasil grumped.

“Bite Daigon’s ass fox boy…” The healer snapped back.

Sesshomaru’s nerves were on edge, everything in him telling him to move and move now. But move where? The last thing he wanted was to walk right into a trap.

Just by chance Sesshomaru happened to glance towards the end of the valley, something was moving in the dark. He could see it faintly…

For some reason his mind pointed out that the ground was uneven, tilting up towards the vaguely moving shadows. But why was that important? Focusing on the moving darkness Sesshomaru’s brain finally clicked.

Rushing water, slanted valley, water….water….FLOOD!

It was then it came into focus, and he could make out a massive wall of water streaming right towards them.

“Everyone out of the gulley! Now!” Sesshomaru ordered. They had plenty of time, and each of them possessed leg muscles more then powerful enough to carry them clean up and out of the danger.

Sesshomaru heard the sounds of horses neighing fearfully and someone pleading with them, but he ignored it, because as he landed his eyes fell onto the tree that Inuyasha had been sleeping in, and the hanyou was gone!

“Where is Inuyasha!?” Sesshomaru roared. Had something happened? Was his baby brother in trouble?! But he hadn’t heard anything!

“I don’t know! Has anyone seen Lord Inuyasha!” Preve shouted over the roar of the water, instantly assuming the second in command slot. Several negative replies followed.

“God this is a mess.” Wasil muttered.

Sesshomaru’s mind instantly turned to Naraku. He had not seen the vile half-breed slime in some time, and this was just the type of shit he would pull. Though how he would have conjured such a flood Sesshomaru did not know, but the bastard had a knack for gaining new, strange abilities seemingly out of nowhere.

“Can the chatter!” Preve ordered. “Alright…we spread out and find Lord Inu. Three men teams, and we all meet back here in twenty minutes regardless.”

The scent of Inuyasha was recent here, but Sesshomaru didn’t smell anyone else.

“Retsu! Get out of there!” Daigon suddenly screamed fearfully.
Everyone turned and was greeted with the sight of the demon chef, several hundred feet away, pulling desperately on the horses harness lock, trying to help them pull themselves and his cart up the steep side of the gully. But it was just to steep and the ground was to soft, they couldn’t get any leverage.

“Come on…please…Pull! We can do this!” Retsu pleaded before, in an unbelievable move, he actually went back down into the gulley and began to try and push the cart up. “Come…on!” Retsu grunted, knowing he was in trouble, but obviously not realizing how rapidly the danger was gaining on him.

“Retsu! Leave it! You’ll drown you fool!” Daigon shouted.
Sesshomaru began to charge, the water, which now resembled a huge raging river, bursting past him a few moments before. Sesshomaru was hit with the sickening feeling that he was not going to make it in time. The ground was so soft, his feet were punching in instead of pushing off, preventing him from gaining his full speed.

Sure enough the flood was outpacing him, surging forward like it had a mind of his own, to claim Retsu, who was making progress, but not nearly fast enough.
With ten feet to go Sesshomaru roared Retsu’s name, trying to warn him, to do something. The furry eared demon turned his head to look, but then the water was on top of him.

Retsu screamed, and then disappeared form sight.

Sesshomaru reached the horses a split second later, catching a hold of the harness that connected the horses to the cart and pulled with all his might, hoping Retsu had clung to it and he could pull the chef out.

But the wooden supports and leather straps snapped as the horses pushed forward, actually trying to go in a different direction then Sesshomaru was pulling.

Sesshomaru had a moment where he could clearly see a hand reaching out of the water, but before he could do anything it was over…and Retsu and his silly little cart that he had risked everything for…

…..were gone.

Daigon and the rest of the men halted their advance behind him, Daigon coming up to Sesshomaru’s side, but they, like Sesshomaru, could do nothing but look on helplessly as the flood continue to crash forward.

Sesshomaru was sure it would ebb, but how far it would carry Retsu did not know, and Sesshomaru had some doubt that a demon, even a highly trained one, which Retsu was not, would be able to pull themselves out of that, especially if they panicked.

Sesshomaru’s heart clutched in anguish, Retsu had been a friend, a good friend, a true friend, and now he was gone….because Sesshomaru couldn’t save him.

A glance at Daigon revealed tears, Sesshomaru was the Lord, the rest trained honor guard, only Daigon, a healer, could cry so publicly without it being some kind of statement. Sesshomaru had a moment of grief for Daigon as well, he and Retsu had become very close since the demon chef had first entered Sesshomaru’s home.

“You fool….” Daigon sobbed. “You stupid….stupid fool.”

“Nothing we can do…” Preve said gently. “But we still need to find Lord Inuyasha.”

Daigon’s mouth opened, but nothing came out, he struggled but it wasn’t happening. It took Sesshomaru a minute but he realized what Daigon was trying to say. “I” He was trying to say “I”.

“Daigon knows…” The healer whispered bitterly. “But Retsu was muh….”Again his body failed the healer, his lips, his tongue, his voice, all refusing to obey Daigon, to say “My. My friend” “He was this one’s friend….”

“I don’t see what the big deal is, yeah it totally sucks but he was just a cook.” Wasil said. Daigon’s head snapped around to glare at the kit, and Sesshomaru saw something in the healer’s eyes that he had never seen before. A promise of pain.

Not that it would be necessary, because Sesshomaru was already moving. Just as the kit raised his head Sesshomaru sent him crashing to the ground with a nasty back-knuckle slap.

“He cared for you, fed you, and took pride in doing so. You will give him respect.” Sesshomaru growled. If he was going to be forced to punish his brother then by the gods he was going to punish everyone else too.

“…Yes sire.”

Turning to the remainder of his men Sesshomaru spoke with authority.

“First we will locate my brother, then we will find Retsu….in whatever condition he may be in.”

There was a chance Retsu still lived, a slim chance, Sesshomaru didn’t give much hope to, but he would not leave Retsu’s body to rot in the wild.



Making their way back to where Inuyasha had rested Sesshomaru was somewhat surprised to see Atrius already there, on all fours, his face never the ground, sniffing.

“What the hell are you doing?” Wasil grumbled.

“My job.” Atrius snapped.

Sesshomaru felt a twinge of gratitude, next to him the kits had the greatest sense of smell, and it was nice to know that there were those who, even young, took their duties seriously, even if it meant sticking their face into the earth.

“Lord Inuyasha’s scent is here, but it doesn’t leave here. I’ve searched all over.” Atrius informed. “It’s like he just disappeared into thin air.”

Sesshomaru drew his gaze upwards, all around them were branches, all clustered together, tall and sturdy.

“Or he moved through the trees.” Sesshomaru stated. Atrius blushed and Wasil snickered.

“Ah yes…I….did-”

“It is not an issue. Good job, thank you.” Sesshomaru interjected.
As much as he wanted Inuyasha safe, he couldn’t help but wish something had happened, instead of Inuyasha just walking off to pee or some other private moment. He had heard the beginning of Retsu’s plight but had ignored it in favor of his brother, he wanted his concern to be valid.

Sesshomaru tuned back in just in time to hear Preve pairing up search teams, something about every group having a “nose” or something like that. However before Preve could finish Sesshomaru’s sensitive ears picked up the sounds of soft footsteps approaching behind them. Determined not to be caught off guard again Sesshomaru reacted.

“Behind.” He said firmly as he spun, his demon fang forged blade clearing its sheath.

It was dark but Sesshomaru could clearly see Inuyasha raise an eyebrow as he continued to approach them.

“Nice way to say hello.” The hanyou grumbled. Sesshomaru secured his sword, as did the rest, and he breathed a sigh of relief, at least Inuyasha was safe.

However Inuyasha was walking a bit…funny, and was carrying something over his shoulder, and when Sesshomaru realized what it was he was surprised…and pleased.

A coughing, soaking weak Retsu.

Daigon rushed forward as Inuyasha set the chef down, instantly checking him over. Strangely…Inuyasha moved to stay in the shadows where Sesshomaru couldn’t make him out clearly.

“I’m fine Daigon….” Retsu croaked.

“Shut. Up. This would will tell you when you are fine.” Daigon snapped. Leaning up against a tree Inuyasha seemed to sag into it.

Hooking his arms around the demon chef Daigon began to aid him in forcing what water remained in his lungs up and out. After a few minutes Daigon released him and stood up.

“That’s better…you should be fine.” Daigon stated, before he cocked his hand back and smacked Retsu upside the head.
Hard.

“You stupid moron! What part of -get out of there- didn’t you understand?! You almost got yourself killed!”

Retsu didn’t answer, he just sat on the ground, staring sideways at Inuyasha. But before Sesshomaru could ask what was going on the wind shifted, and he could smell blood, three different sets, two he didn’t know….and one….was Inuyasha’s. Why could he smell Inuyasha’s blood? Why did it smell so…fresh? And why was there other blood mixed in?

“Inuyasha…come here.” Sesshomaru said gently.

“Why?” The hanyou grunted.

“I can smell your blood little brother…why is that? What has happened?”

“Don’t worry about it….”

But Sesshomaru did worry about it, and he wasn’t in the mood to beat around the bush. Whipping his tail forward he curled it around Inuyasha’s waist and yanked him into the moonlight.

He almost wished he hadn’t.

Inuyasha glared at him, a large healing bruise on the side of his face, the boy’s hands were covered in blood, and Sesshomaru could see a good sized hole in the middle of both of Inuyasha’s forearms that were still bleeding.

“What-”

“Well…well̷ 0;so there is where you went to little hanyou.” A voice murmured from the shadows. Inuyasha tilted his head towards in and growled, but Sesshomaru pulled him behind himself.

“Who are you? Identify yourself immediately!” Sesshomaru ordered. A demon came out of the shadows, dressed in plain black clothing, bald, and holding up both hands.

“Relax, I’m not here to threaten you. I just want the hanyou….I’m sorry but I did find him first.” The man stated.
Sesshomaru did not like the sound of that.

“Fuck you bitch, I’ll tear your fucking head off.” Inuyasha growled and tried to come around Sesshomaru, but the older demon pushed him back.

“Oh…will you now? Well I gotta say I’m impressed, I never thought I’d see you again after all this time, you do seem to have a knack for getting away. Killing my two men, and you even got yourself off of that rock. Tisk tisk….I’m really going to have to show you your place now.” The man purred.

“Can we hurt him? I want hurt him.” Sess-youkai growled.

“And just how do the two of you know each other?” Sesshomaru asked, curbing the urge to do something…violent…for now.

“Fucker and his two guys jumped me a long time ago, did it again when I went to….do something. Nailed me to a fucking rock…..” Inuyasha growled.

And with that tiny little piece of information, Sesshomaru felt himself go from zero to murderous in under a second.

“Just until I got back. Then I would have shown you your true place. Under me, like a good little hanyou.”

“Oh no he fucking didn’t.” Sess-youkai snarled. “Kill time now, yes yes kill time now!”

Sesshomaru agreed.

In a blink of an eye Sesshomaru was on top of him, sending the slime crashing into a tree with one single, brutal shot.

“Let me get this straight…..you nailed MY brother to a rock.”
A solid stomp to the spine.

“After you and two others ambushed him of course.”

A knee to the face.

“Then you planed on…raping him?”

Swift chop to the throat.

“And now you have the audacity to show yourself and actually held the belief that we were just going to give him to you? Runt…I have met stupid in my time…..but goodness….that tops them all.” Sesshomaru growled as he palmed the man’s face, lifting him and smashing him against a tree. “Preve…if you would be so kind.”

A muffled scream rippled through the air as two arrow’s pierced the man’s arms, pinning them to the tree.

“Was it like this?” Sesshomaru asked before slapping the man across the face, hard enough that a few teeth went flying.

“What’s it you? He’s just a hanyou.” The man gasped.

“Correction. My sibling. Sesshomaru, Lord of the West’s, baby brother.”

The man’s eyes went wide, and Sesshomaru grinned.

“Oh yes….you are in oh so much trouble now.”

A glance back showed Inuyasha watching him, an unreadable look on his face, as Daigon began to treat Inuyasha’s wounds, which the boy didn’t even seem to notice.

“I…I….I…” The man stammered.

“You…you…you.” Sesshomaru mocked. “Dead….dead….dead. But first.”

The man shrieked as Sesshomaru grabbed his groin and pulled….hard. The sound of flesh ripping echoed out and Sesshomaru held the ruined appendage up for the man to see before tossing it away.

“Don’t need that.” He muttered. “Unfortunately we are in a bit of a hurry so I don’t have a lot of time to spend. Unlucky for you however…this will not be quick.”

Sesshomaru shoved his index finger into the man’s sternum, releasing his poison inside the man, who now began to gasp painfully and squirm.

“Do enjoy.” Sesshomaru sneered before he turned back to Inuyasha. “May we leave? Or do you wish to watch? It will be a few hours however.”

Inuyasha shook his head.

“I’m…a little tired still.”

“Well then….I suggest we find a new spot to rest.” Sesshomaru said.

“Yeah…and not in a flash flood zone.” Atrius mumbled.

“Sweep the area first, see if there are any others.” Sesshomaru ordered.

As the men spread out and went through the tree’s Sesshomaru’s ears caught the sound of Retsu whispering to Inuyasha.

“You knew….someone could have been killed and you knew.”

“Funny…I’m the one who got knocked around and hurt, I’m the one still bleeding. Besides…I wouldn‘t want to INSULT someone but saying they were about to do something incredibly stupid and be punished again now would I?”

‘That’s not the-”

The hanyou snorted and turned, pushing past Sesshomaru, who quickly caught up with him.

“Knew what little brother?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Nothing…” Inuyasha muttered.

Sesshomaru had a thought, a silly thought, but….

“What was this….something you had to do?”

“None of your business…” Inuyasha grumbled.

“Inuyasha….what did you have to do?” Sesshomaru asked more insistently. Did Inuyasha have something to do with the flood?

“Leave me alone…”

“Inuyasha…..” Sesshomaru growled warningly.

“I was going to jerk off ok!” Inuyasha hissed, and Sesshomaru stumbled. “Excuse me if my cock wanted some attention after my asshole brother molested me!”

Sesshomaru blushed, and felt angry at the same time. But he wasn’t sure what he was angry about, that Inuyasha had gone to pleasure himself and was attacked, or that he hadn’t come to Sesshomaru for relief.

“I apologize….if I had known….”

“Don’t sweat it….heh….” Inuyasha spat. “Hey….question….did you know that when it rains on that mountain that gully there totally fucking floods?”

“…..Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha smirked.

“Now you do.”

What really bothered Sesshomaru about that, is he couldn’t tell if Inuyasha was being sarcastic….or if the boy had set them up from the start.

Though the steadily increasing screams of the bastard who dared to harm Inuyasha, and think of sullying him, as Sesshomaru’s poison continued to eat him from the inside did please him.

“Next time we sleep next to him!” Sess-youkai snapped.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Morni ng came much sooner then Inuyasha would have liked, but to his surprise no one woke him up. Not that he was complaining, being left alone was pretty much what he wanted. When he woke up everyone was gnawing on various animal carcasses, with Retsu bitching about -their supplies, his cart and his things-

Daigon pointed out that none of Retsu’s personal belongings or tools had been on it, but that didn’t seem to have much of an effect on the chef. It was rather amusing in a way, they were all so spoiled, food was food. If it filled up your belly and didn’t make you sick then nothing else mattered. But obviously none of them had ever had to scrounge and scrape for even a meager meal.

So in a way it amused Inuyasha to have them deprived of their fancy food, gods forbid that they were forced to eat something simple.

How many of them had ever tried to take a walk, to find a nice little private spot to take care of a nagging problem your own brother had caused, only to run into asshole’s he hadn’t seen in over a hundred years.

How many of them had ever been jumped from behind, bashed in the face with a club, then NAILED to a fucking rock?

How many of them had to PULL themselves off of a rock that they were nailed to with BIG FUCKING SPIKES through the forearms and STILL pull a soggy pissed off chef out of a bad spot?
Not many he was willing to bet.

Though he did feel a little guilty, all he had expected was for everyone to get a little wet, he had not expected all of that. It hadn’t flooded half as bad as that when he got caught it in.

But hey…he did his part, he saved Retsu’s ass, and he had not even been thanked for it yet. Did he have to do that? No, but he did. So what if he had been able to just reach in and catch him….if it came to it he would have jumped in after the chef. He had just wanted to fuck with everyone, not for people to die.

Come to think of it who was he running from when he had his little ass washed away? Same fuckers as last night.

But he couldn’t believe how Sesshomaru had just…went off. Shit…Inuyasha had heard the guy’s screams almost two miles away. It was kinda touching….if you could consider ripping a guy’s balls and dick off, then melting his ass with Sesshomaru poison.

Still…it was almost amusing when he had climbed down to hunt up his own breakfast and everyone gave him the cold shoulder. As perverse as it was normal. He couldn’t help but wonder why….but Retsu had probably spilled the beans.

Yeah…he knew, he knew just what was going to happen. So what? So fucking what? Who was the one who ended up getting fucked? Yeah that would be him….

So yeah….this was pretty much normal for him. He didn’t like all the false kindness and crap like that anyway. These people didn’t really care about him, they were just doing a job, and they weren’t his friends.

Though it did sort of bother him that Sesshomaru seemed to be ignoring him as well, but he pushed that feeling away. No matter how real it seemed, and how much he wanted it to be true, Sesshomaru was…Sesshomaru.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Inuyasha was a little annoyed that he had to walk and eat at the same time, hell he had had to jump just to catch up to them. Obviously they could only wait when they were eating…but whatever, he was used to that to.

The silence as they walked was also not as comforting as he would have thought either. His head still hurt either way. His arms didn’t feel to nice either…..probably had something to do with the big SPIKE getting rammed through it.

Honestly all he wanted to do was sleep for about five years, he certainly did not want to do all of this, politics were not his strong suit. It was still confusing as to how he had gotten himself into this whole mess. Someone tries to kill him and now he had to go explain that to people with….agenda’s and shit?

Not his normal business for sure.

It wasn’t long before they reached a town that Sesshomaru assured Retsu he could replace his lost items in. once inside the town everyone pretty much left him alone, Sesshomaru’s group that was, the townspeople still gave him the -ew hanyou- look.

He didn’t have the energy to care or do anything about it really. He just hoped no one started any shit with him. After last night he just didn’t have it in him, he just wanted peace. He was trying not to think about it, he had almost gotten used to people who weren’t trying to kill him for being a hanyou.

On a side note, he had to wonder, why was it that the people who insisted he was dirty and low….always wanted to rape him? If he was so filthy….why touch him?

But mostly Inuyasha was just…afraid right now, he had the sickening feeling he was on borrowed time as it was. His heart had skipped over a dozen times last night, which had frightened him so badly, even worse then being on that tree, he had almost run to Sesshomaru like a little kid. Not much anyone could do about it anyway though, not even Sesshomaru, if his time was running out…that was all there was to it.

It just…sucked.

He had always hoped he would finally have a good life some day. He’d certainly earned one. The idea that his last days would be filled with turmoil and pain was just….tearing him up inside.

His head filled with morbid thoughts Inuyasha stared at a large oak tree at the edge of the once human filled now demon populated town. Just the sight of it sent a child up his spine.

“So…its still there.” Inuyasha muttered.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


Sesshomaru thanked the mayor of the town before making his way back to the group, Retsu was off procuring more supplies and another care and Inuyasha had wandered off somewhere. Which pissed his youkai off to no end…and admittedly he didn’t like the idea of Inuyasha being by himself either, but at the moment there wasn’t much choice. Besides…this was actually a friendly town, he had been here many times himself. They actually considered hanyou to be something like art here, so if anything they would be oohing and ahhing over his little brother.

He was frustrated though, he had hoped to make use of the road after the valley fiasco, but the mayor had informed him that the human fighting had actually intensified. It was beyond annoying, but it looked like it was going to be another off-road day whether he liked it or not.

He was so going to pay those human leaders a visit….

“What’s our status?” Sesshomaru asked as he joined the rest of the group. He had already been notified of the two corpses they had discovered last night, Inuyasha’s doing no doubt. The only interesting part of that was apparently the manner they had been killed. Each had only been clawed once, and although the wounds had been bloody they should not have been fatal. Daigon had done a quick examination and determined that Inuyasha’s claw secretions were most likely the cause, though what the fluid did was still a mystery. It killed apparently. Sesshomaru had to wonder if Inuyasha even knew what had he had done.

He had also been notified by Retsu of the chef’s belief that Inuyasha had planned the gulley situation. Sesshomaru had a hunch it was true, but at the same time Inuyasha had saved Retsu, and Sesshomaru had a hard time believing the boy had meant them serious harm. But after what Inuyasha had been through that night it had not taken much for him to convince Retsu to keep the knowledge to himself. The chef had agreed, but insisted that he would not have anything to do with Inuyasha’s breakfast this morning. Sesshomaru had granted that wish, it was rather silly anyway, they had eaten raw meat anyway.

It was probably just the principal of the thing to Retsu, Sesshomaru didn’t think the chef was even that angry at the hanyou anymore, if anything he had been one of the most concerned.

Especially when they had come across the rock, still wet with Inuyasha’s blood, with the two spikes still embedded in it, spikes that still had pieces of Inuyasha’s flesh clinging to him. The fact that the boy had just…pulled himself off made Sesshomaru sick to his stomach.

It was only the tortured screams of the man responsible that had allowed Sesshomaru to hold his temper. The man had had impressive lung power.

For his own part he had decided to ignore Inuyasha for the morning, as a small punishment, unless of course the boy came to him. It felt right to him, and Inuyasha tended to want privacy anyway.

….Not to mention every time he got within six feet of Inuyasha his youkai demanded that he give the boy the relief he had sought last night. What was even worse where the images that popped into his head, all of having Inuyasha on his back, writhing while Sesshomaru took him into his mouth. The idea was very…arousing. Which was NOT what he needed to be thinking about after the boy had suffered an attack…

“Nearly ready to leave milord.” Preve said. “We are merely waiting for our dear Retsu, I also believe Daigon is visiting a herb shop.” Sesshomaru nodded.

“Has anyone seen my where my brother had gotten to?”

“Yes…he is near that large oak.” Preve replied, gesturing towards the edge of town. “He might be alone…but I have been keeping a close eye upon him.”
Sure enough, Sesshomaru could faintly make out the hanyou, standing in front of the tree. But what was he doing?

“He’s a brave one.” A nearby demon woman mused. “Most don’t go up there.” Sesshomaru turned to the woman.

“Why?” He asked. Good gods…was Inuyasha in some sort of danger? How could one person get in trouble so much?

“Most consider it haunted ground. The bloody oak they call it. Notice the red tint to the leaves? They never change color, never, regardless of the season. They say its because of all the blood that has soaked into the ground.” She answered. Preve’s brow furrowed.

“What do you man?” He asked before Sesshomaru could. She looked pensive, chewing her bottom lip nervously.

“Its bad luck to talk about it…but I guess you are the Lord of the West and all.” She said. “You see…before we all moved here this area was owned by a human group, a real xenophobic bunch. Horribly cruel to outsiders. Dumb bastards inbred so much that when a few of them got sick, they all ended up getting it, they all went after that, but that’s not the point. Anyway…when someone they didn’t like come they would take them up tot the tree, tie them to it, and then stone them. After that they would just leave the body to rot. Some people think that’s where the sickness that wiped them out came from, revenge from all those unjustly killed.”

How…ghoulish, why would Inuyasha take interest in such a thing? Though the boy did tend to rest in trees, perhaps he just didn’t know the history?

“Now the last, and most remembered one came….two hundred and fifteen years ago I think. A little hanyou boy.”

Sesshomaru blood froze.

“What…kind of hanyou?” It couldn’t be…no way….it just couldn’t, that wasn’t fair, the world couldn’t POSSIBLY be that cruel to one person.

“Hmmm….well I’m not sure. They say he had shiny sliver hair and two furry ears on top of his head.” She answered. Sesshomaru tried to think back, to shift through Inuyasha’s memories. But it was so hard…there were so many, and he might have witnessed them in chronological order, but he couldn’t’ remember them that way. But he wasn’t in the mood to take any chances, punish Inuyasha time was over, cling to him to protect him from all the twisted-ness of the world time was now.

Muttering his thanks to the woman for the information Sesshomaru turned and rushed towards Inuyasha, not running, but not taking his time either. Unfortunately his haste attracted the attention of the entire guard group. They all fell in behind him, affirming his belief that a quick moving Lord always provoked a reaction.

Honestly, as he stopped a few feet behind Inuyasha, he wished they were not there. Granted he could always order them away….it was still annoying. The chances of Inuyasha opening up to him with them around was…slim.

Inuyasha was silent, staring at the large, and admittedly creepy looking, gnarled tree. Surely the hanyou had heard their approach, but the boy never acknowledged their presence.

Once again Sesshomaru wasn’t sure what to say, he didn’t want to startle or upset his baby brother. Yet he felt he should say something. Fortunately Inuyasha broke the silence saving Sesshomaru from his internal debate.

“Kinda weird….I seem to have a lot of crap with tree’s. Pinned to one for fifty years….” Inuyasha trailed off. Sesshomaru swallowed, he still wasn’t sure how to approach this.

“I hear this one has quite a history.” Sesshomaru whispered.

“Yeah…didn’t recognize this place at first, new people and all, but this….hasn’t changed.”

Sesshomaru wanted to ask what had happened, desperate for what he envisioned in his mind NOT to be true. But if he was he didn’t want Inuyasha to hold it in, but he also didn’t want Inuyasha dwelling on it.

“Learned a lesson though….geez I was what? Thirty five?” Inuyasha mused.

“Thirty five? That’s…barely out of infant age.” Po muttered. If Inuyasha heard the guard he gave no indication.

“Heh…little hanyou wandered into the wrong town. Gotta say though…tied to a tree, getting bashed senseless is not something you expect as a kid. I still remember how they laughed as I begged them not to hurt me, why does everyone think that is so funny anyway?” Inuyasha growled. “They cursed me, screaming about how I was dirty and vile, I didn’t get it then and I don’t get it now.” the hanyou’s voice had gone distant and dream like. He was there…yet not.

“They assaulted you?” Atrius asked innocently sounded outraged. The Fox hadn’t been around when the woman told her story.

“Mmmm…that’s one way to put it. I personally tend to think of it as they tried to bludgeon me to death with big fucking rocks.” Inuyasha retorted. The hanyou kicked at the ground, and something rolled across through the grass. Looking down Sesshomaru noticed the ground was littered with stones, some as small as coin, others the size of his fist, and he even saw one’s that were bigger then his head. They were EVERYWHERE.

The place suddenly felt evil, with the oak serving as a sinister headpiece.

“How did you escape?” Atrius asked. Gods bless curious kitsunes, it saved Sesshomaru from asking questions….and gave Inuyasha someone other then him to yell at.

Inuyasha chuckled darkly, and even though he was talking Sesshomaru didn’t think Inuyasha was really aware, especially since the normally private hanyou was sharing something so personal.

“I didn’t…not really. They didn’t bother to take you off the tree when they were done, there were two others rotting on the tree when they put me there. Basically they knocked me the fuck out, and I guess I was so bloody and limp they figured I wad dead. They left, I woke up, my arm and wrist were pretty well broken and smashed so I was able to pull it through the loop, try doing that without screaming your heads off boys and girls…..” Inuyasha explained sarcastically. “So I chewed through the ropes on my feet and crawled till I passed out again.”

“That’s…horrible.” Alir stated. Inuyasha snorted.

“Not an unusual event in my life. Though it was my first experience with very large amounts of excruciating pain….but why the fuck am I talking about this? Doesn’t change the past and its none of you pricks business.”

Well at least Inuyasha was still capable of being his normal charming self.

“Sometimes its good to talk about things.” Sesshomaru said. He glanced behind him, everyone was there, including Daigon and Retsu, who had procured another cart and supplies. Well…then they could leave and he could get his little brother away from this horrible place.

“Inuyasha…” He said softly. “Let us be away from here.”

The hanyou was muttering to himself, most of which Sesshomaru couldn’t make out, until the end. Straining his ears he managed to catch….

“…And your not going to outlive me.”

With that Inuyasha began to stalk towards the tree, wrapping his arms around it and digging his claws into it. Sesshomaru wasn’t exactly sure what the boy was doing until Inuyasha dug his heels into the earth and began to lift.

The tree was old, probably older then Sesshomaru himself by the look o fit, undoubtedly its roots ran deep.

But the ground it was latched to began to rise.

“Lord Sesshomaru…stop him, he will injure himself again.” Daigon whispered. The last thing Sesshomaru wanted was for that to happen, but he couldn’t move, couldn’t speak. As much as he wanted to he….just couldn’t stop Inuyasha. He could faintly smell tears and if nothing else he would not interfere for that reason. If it meant that much to Inuyasha…then so be it. Besides….if the hanyou couldn’t do it, Sesshomaru WOULD. Granted with one arm that would be damn hard….but hell, if needed he would simply unleash his true form and he was sure his jaws would prove adequate.

“Leave him be.” Sesshomaru whispered back. Daigon huffed but he didn’t make any move to stop Inuyasha either. The boy grunted, shifting his grip, and a loud cracking could be heard.

“He can’t possibly pull a tree like that up…” Wasil muttered.

But roots began to appear, the earth splitting as they rose, thick and hundreds of feet long. With a savage roar Inuyasha jerked the tree up, some roots lost their grip, others snapped under the pressure. With a mighty crack it gave way, heaving the massive plant up over his head Inuyasha roared again and threw the tree with such force he fell over.

It sliced through the air.

Fifty feet.

Sixty.

One hundred.

One hundred and fifty.

Three hundred.

Finally it slammed into the ground top first with enough force it actually dug in. A mummer rippled through the men, that had been an impressive display of raw power.

As Inuyasha stood Sesshomaru briefly wondered how this would affect the village, but decided that if it eased Inuyasha’s spirit even slightly then it was worth it.

Quietly Sesshomaru made his way to Inuyasha, gently laying his hand upon his little brother’s shoulder.

“Let us leave here brother, its gone, you’ve rid the world of it.” He whispered softly into Inuyasha’s ear.

“Fucker will probably take root again anyway…” Inuyasha replied, hi voice thick.

Considering it was stuck upside down in the earth, leaves everywhere and its limbs smashed Sesshomaru doubted that.

“It will not, I promise you it will die.” Sesshomaru vowed. Gently he pressed Inuyasha forward, steering him in the direction they needed to go. The hanyou did not protest, and they began to walk. Turning his head as the guard filed in behind them Sesshomaru mouthed two words to Preve.

-Burn it-

Preve nodded and began to rummage through his carry on equipment.

Slowly Sesshomaru slid a little more of his arm across Inuyasha’s shoulders, just up to his forearm, and curled his fingers on the back of the half-breed’s neck, rubbing gently. He didn’t dare go all the way and press his body into Inuyasha’s, but thankfully his actions were not met with protest.

Sesshomaru was willing to risk his little brother’s anger at the moment, especially after all that had happened in such a short time. He was feeling extraordinarily protective, he couldn’t help but feel he had failed his brother twice now, last night…and now this. Was their no place in this whole world that did NOT hold pain for the boy in some way?

“Well…there is always our bedroom, and I’m not being sexual about that…yet.” Sess-youkai whispered.

“Be serious!” Sesshomaru snapped at it.

“I am!” It shot back.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Inuyasha let Sesshomaru guide him, he was to sore and tired to care. His arms still hurt like fuck, and he just wanted to curl up in something warm and soft and sleep, sleep until the world stopped sucking.

But that could take a long time, and time was something Inuyasha had the feeling he didn’t have. Something was coming and it scared the fuck out of him.
Plus he didn’t think Sesshomaru would like him taking his tail like that. Pride be damned that thing was warmer and softer then like…anything.

What was worse about what was coming was that he couldn’t’ do anything about it. It was souring his attitude and worldview, why be nice? Why even try?

So with that in mind he let Sesshomaru lead him on, and he would try to play along with the Lord shit, he wasn’t worried about him anymore, it was over for him, but he didn’t want the others to get killed if he could stop it.

But if he had to take to much…well fuck it….he’d just till the two fuckers right then and there.

What he really wanted right now was to be carried actually, and he was actually half tempted to ask. His legs and feet hurt, which hadn’t happened in decades, his feet especially had toughed up long ago.
The sounds of jars smashing followed by a crackling caught Inuyasha’s attention, stopping and looking toward the source of the noise he was just in time to see the last of a dozen arrows slam into the fucking tree, a jar of oil smashing and splattering all over, just to be ignited by the flaming rag attached. Within minutes the entire thing was one massive blaze and Inuyasha was confused. Where the hell had that come from?

“I did promise you little brother.” Sesshomaru purred in his ear, which sent a warm tingle through him. Damn ears!

A different sort of warmth rushed through him as Sesshomaru’s words sunk in, and he wasn’t sure what to say to the older Inu. It was twice now that Sesshomaru had surprised him.

He certainly had not expected Sesshomaru to…do what he did to that bastard bandit Eryon. It was like Sesshomaru had…snapped…but not. It had been cold, calculated but with a warm edge…and just MEAN.

“I mean…DAMN…melting a guy from the inside.” Inuyasha thought.

At this point, he was past wondering what Sesshomaru was up to, it didn’t matter if Sesshomaru was trying to pull something, Inuyasha doubted he’d last long enough for it to go through.
When?

He kept asking himself, searching inside for an answer. He didn’t want to know, was terrified to know, but…he had to, just had to.

Whatever was coming wasn’t something in the distance he could just barely see like it had been before. Not it was RIGHT THERE, looming over him. Which made him think…days, maybe a week.

Turning away from the burning tree Inuyasha began to walk, Sesshomaru joining him without ever losing his hold on Inuyasha’s neck. Inuyasha thought about complaining…but it felt good, and god damn it he deserved something that felt good, so he was taking it.

“That’s what I’m talking about. See how that works?” Inu-youkai said, uttering its first words of the day. Odd…and it hadn’t spoken all night either.

“You do not wish to watch?” Sesshomaru asked. Inuyasha shook his head, he didn’t have time.

He wanted his mother, he wanted to be held and told it was going to be alright, even if it wasn’t. But mama was gone, there was no one for him.

Kagome might have been able to do it at one time, Inuyasha had truly thought they had shared a real connection. But people who loved you didn’t hurt you like that, at least not in his mind.
Sesshomaru wasn’t really an option either, brother or not the man didn’t feel like kin to him. It would be like getting a hug from Koga.

Ew…Koga.

SO it was just the usual for him, shut up and keep moving. A thought occurred to him, something he had always wondered, and he didn’t see any reason not to voice it.

“Hey Sesshomaru…” Inuyasha said softly, not that he wanted to, his throat was just a little closed up.

“Yes little brother?” Sesshomaru replied, matching Inuyasha’s tone, either for privacy or courtesy.

“If I died….what would you do?”

Sesshomaru held his breath for a moment.

“Be thankful for Tenseiga.” Sesshomaru answered, a clear -why would you ask something like that?- in his tone.

Ah yes, the sword that could save one hundred lives in a single stroke. But for some reason the knowledge that Sesshomaru had something like that didn’t comfort him. Not one bit, something told him it wouldn’t work.

“If you couldn’t….if it didn’t work. What would you do? Inuyasha asked.

“…Break, and then mourn the loss of my family till the end of my days.” Sesshomaru said, his voice actually trembling. “Why do you ask such a thing?”

“Just….curious.”

XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Why was Sesshomaru asking him about death? What brought it up? Those bastard bandits, or that accursed tree?

“Death bad! No Inuyasha death!” Sess-youkai whimpered.

Or was Inuyasha just wondering if he would be mourned? Sesshomaru knew that Inuyasha harbored the idea that if he died no one would notice or care, and it didn’t help matters that at one time the boy was probably right.

Sesshomaru kept his arm on Inuyasha, it made walking a little awkward, but he didn’t care, he wanted to touch the boy and at the moment the hanyou wasn’t stopping him. A good sign perhaps?

As they walked Sesshomaru noticed that Inuyasha kept rubbing at the left side of his chest, and it was becoming more frequent. Pain? A nagging itch? Muscle cramps once again?

Suddenly Inuyasha stopped, shrugging Sesshomaru’s arm off. Sesshomaru turned to look at his sibling, to ask what was wrong, but he didn’t really have to.

Inuyasha’s face was deathly pale, all of the blood draining away. The hanyou was clutching at his chest and looked confused…and very frightened.

But what really set Sesshomaru’s alarms off was the two trickles of blood running from the corners of Inuyasha’s mouth.

“In-Inuyasha?” Sesshomaru stammered.

“Just….just need a minute…” Inuyasha forced out, great strain in his voice.

Inuyasha’s eyes slammed shut and he grimaced in pain, gripping his chest and doubling over slightly.

“His heart?” Sesshomaru thought. Without a doubt Inuyasha was clutching at his heart.

Sesshomaru switched over from slightly worried to near full-blown panic and concern when Inuyasha doubled over again as if someone had punched him in the stomach. Sesshomaru was forced to steady Inuyasha just to keep the boy from falling down.
Sesshomaru opened his mouth to call out but Daigon was already at his side.

“What is wrong?” The healer asked. Sesshomaru shook his head, he had no idea.

“Gods….it fucking hurts.” Inuyasha growled and tried to push himself up and away, but his legs didn’t seem to want to work.

“What hurts? Lord Inuyasha, talk to Daigon.” The green haired man requested.

Inuyasha’s body spasmed and his eyes rolled back in his head, scaring this shit out of Sesshomaru in the process.

“Not…n-not…n-n-now.” Inuyasha gasped.

“Lay him down!” Daigon ordered as Inuyasha’s body spasmed again, with enough force that it nearly knocked Sesshomaru over and let out a strangled cry of pain. Sesshomaru did so, the rest of the men backing up to give Daigon room without being told.
Daigon kneeled, pressing his fingers into the side of Inuyasha’s neck, nodding his head as if counting.

“That’s…not right.” Daigon muttered.

“What?! What is not right!?” Sess-youkai screamed and it took a Sesshomaru a great deal of willpower not to repeat the question.

Daigon pried Inuyasha’s hand off of his chest and pressed his ear to it. The healers eyes went wide, but before he could say anything Inuyasha began to thrash and gasp desperately. Inuyasha’s eyes were wide with panic and blood was still running out of his mouth.

“Hold him!” Daigon ordered. Ko and Po slid in, Po on arms, Ko on legs, but still Inuyasha bucked up, nearly hurling the two demons and the elemental off of him.

“He’s too strong!” Po shouted. Sesshomaru dropped down, doing his best to support and cradle Inuyasha’s head, the hanyou was thrashing so badly Sesshomaru feared he might break his neck. It was all he could do, it was talking nearly all of his will not to freak out. What was wrong with his baby brother?!

More men came in, and finally with two on each limb they were able to restrain Inuyasha.

Sesshomaru’s stomach twisted itself into a knot when he saw that Inuyasha’s lips were starting to turn blue.

“Do something.” He hissed.
Daigon shot him a half annoyed lock but said nothing as he scrambled through his bag.

“I can’t breathe…I can’t…..breathe…” Inuyasha gasped. “Hurts…it…hurts…”

But he was breathing! He was damn near hyperventilating!

Sesshomaru could hear Inuyasha’s heart, it was beating frantically, but skipping horribly. It sounded like…like….

A heart attack.

“Breathing’s not the problem, his heart isn’t beating right. Its not pumping like it should.” Daigon muttered. The healer began to press his hands into Inuyasha’s chest, pushing hard and massaging. “Damn it…what are you doing you stupid muscle?”

“What’s happening?!” Sesshomaru growled though his teeth, his instincts, his youkai, were panicking.

“Do something! Do something! DOSOMETHING! FIXITFIXITFIXIT!!!” Sess-youkai shrieked.

“..Don’t know!” Daigon shot back.

That truly scared Sesshomaru, Daigon knew…almost everything, especially when it came to medical issues.

“Some kind of heart attack…but not. Its like his heart is trying to fail and go into overdrive at the same time!”
That didn’t make any sense!

“Fix it!! Why are you not fixing it!?” Sess-youkai screamed.

Inuyasha suddenly screamed at his back bowed up off the ground, and Sesshomaru could smell blood.

“He’s bleeding down here!” Preve reported.

“From where?” Daigon asked, never ceasing his task.

Atrius leaned in, his hand slipping under Inuyasha, probing gently.

“Not his back.” The kit said. “I hate to say it but I think…its coming out of his…ass.”

“Are you sure?!” Daigon questioned tersely.

“…No…why?”
Daigon growled.

“Then find out! If blood is coming out of his anus then he might be bleeding inside of his digestive tract and then we have TWO big problems. But if that is not the case the this one would like to know!”

“Right. I just…wasn‘t sure if I should…touch there.” Atrius’s hand dipped further down, a look of concentration on his face, but when his hand neared Inuyasha’s rear he must have touched something because Inuyasha shrieked.

The hanyou’s left leg tore free, whipping upwards and driving right into Atrius’s jaw. The force sent the kitsune sprawling backwards, flipping him over completely.

“Tailbone….What the hell…” Daigon muttered.

The men managed to pin Inuyasha’s leg back down, one of the free ones checking on Atrius.

“Well…he’s out. Breathing though.”

Daigon started to look frustrated.

“One or the other damn it!” The healer yelled at Inuyasha’s chest.

“What’s wrong?!” Sesshomaru snapped. He didn’t like not knowing what the problem was, how could he try to think of a way to help if he didn’t know? That was of course if he could think, his youkai was screaming so loudly that he could barely hear anything.

“Calm yourself! Please! I can not do anything if you do not cease!” Sesshomaru screamed at it.

“If this doesn’t stop his heart is going to be damaged. But this one can’t get it to stop….” Daigon answered.

“Well what do we do?” Sesshomaru snarled. He didn’t want to hear what couldn’t be done, he wanted to hear how to make it….make it better again!

Daigon’s eyes closed, deep in thought and pensive.

“We….only have one choice…its drastic but its all we have.” Daigon said.

“Well spit it out!” Sesshomaru snapped. Inuyasha was in pain! They needed to fix this now!

“Your going to have to do it Sesshomaru, you’re the only one strong enough to pull it off, and skilled enough to do it without causing lasting damage.” Daigon stated as he tore Inuyasha’s top open, exposing his bare chest. “You have to stop his heart.”
Sesshomaru blanched.

“Stop his heart?! STOP HIS HEART?! Sess-youkai roared.

“This one knows how it sounds, but there is nothing else that will work. You must stop it, and this then one will start it once more.” Daigon continued. Horrified at the very idea Sesshomaru fumbled.

“Is there not something you can give him?”

“Yes but it will do no good, it will take to long and as stated his heart is not pumping properly, anything this one has will not go through his bloodstream as it should and he can not put it directly into the heart because it is far to erratic, it will only rip a hole in it.”
Sesshomaru’s mind churched like never before, trying to find another answer. Yes a twisting, corkscrew blow could achieve what Daigon was asking but…good gods….

“Surely-”

“NO!” Daigon snapped. “Feelings aside Sesshomaru your brother’s life is now entirely in your hands and every minute you delay only increases the chances of brain and heart damage. You can do nothing and in a few short hours your baby brother WILL experience a painful, slow death right here in this stupid field. OR you can trust Daigon and do was you are told.”

Fuck, fuck , FUCK!

Sesshomaru cracked his knuckles.

“Tell me your plan, I must know.”

Daigon nodded.

“Fine. First does anyone here other then Daigon know respiratory aid?”

“We do.” Alir answered, Tren nodded.

“Good, Preve…get your ass up here.” Daigon ordered. Preve came put to stand behind Sesshomaru, another guard taking his place at Inuyasha’s still jerking leg.

“Now…Alir or Tren will breath for Inuyasha, Sesshomaru you will be responsible for forcing Inuyasha’s heart to beat, you are more then strong enough. The two of you will support his life, Preve you will watch Inuyasha’s eyes and report any chances. Clear is good, should they start to dull, any dark spots appear, this means he is not getting enough oxygen and action must be taken swiftly to ensure that he does. Sesshomaru you must also listen in to make sure his blood is truly flowing. You know your own heartbeat, that is your example, go up from there. While you are doing this, this one will prepare the solution to restart Inuyasha’s heart, but with any luck it might just do it itself. Any questions? And be quick about it!” Daigon explained quickly.

Negative replies followed and Daigon leveled a dead serious stare on Sesshomaru.

“Its all on you.” Daigon said as he moved off of Inuyasha. “Here.” The healer tapped a spot on Inuyasha’s chest.
Sesshomaru swallowed hard, and he slowly clenched his fist, leaving his middle and index fingers knuckles jutting out slightly…..


Taking a deep breath Sesshomaru looked down, stupidly he looked at Inuyasha’s face and his resolve wavered.

The boy’s eye were wide and fearful, jumping form Sesshomaru’s fist to his face. Gods…did Inuyasha know?

“I’m so sorry….” Sesshomaru whispered as he drove hi fist down, twisting just as he struck.

Inuyasha’s body jumped and he cried out.

“S-Sess….h-homaru….” Inuyasha choked, his voice full of pain and betrayal.

“Again!” Daigon ordered. Sesshomaru hesitated, but struck again. Inuyasha let out a straggled groan.

“…Y..ou…..your…killing…… ;..you bastard……” Inuyasha gasped as he pressed his face against Sesshomaru’s thigh, biting him weakly, tears leaking from his eyes.

“Sesshomaru! Don’t drag this out!” Daigon shouted.

Sesshomaru’s hand trembled, the look on Inuyasha’s face was tearing him apart. He couldn’t do this…but he had to, he couldn’t hurt Inuyasha for no reason, if nothing else he had to go through with it to give his blows a purpose other then causing pain.

Inuyasha struggled weakly, trying to get away. Sesshomaru tightened his fist, his claws digging into his palm as he tried to push away his doubts. It didn’t help that his logic was actually fueling his instincts, if he stopped Inuyasha’s heart, Inuyasha would die. It was fact.

But he had to be strong for his baby brother, he had to be cold.

The lie his old self wore came back easier then he would have liked, but when he looked down at Inuyasha, the hanyou’s eyes gleaming with stark terror, Inuyasha fully recognizing what was happening, even if he didn’t understand why. Yes Sesshomaru felt anguish, felt pain, but it couldn’t touch him, it was in the distance, easily ignored.

“No-” Inuyasha gasped.

Sesshomaru’s fist drove in one last time, Inuyasha’s body jumped, and Sesshomaru heard it, heard Inuyasha’s heart lurch…and stop.

Inuyasha’s eyes rolled back and a wet, gurgling rattle slid past his lips as he went limp.

“YOU FUCKING MONSTER!” Sess-youkai screamed. “You killed him! You kill our brother! OUR FAMILY!”

“Okay…lets go!” Daigon chirped

Sesshomaru felt like he was going to throw up, that sound was going to haunt him for the rest of his days.

But he didn’t have time to dwell on it because Daigon grabbed his arm and pulled him over to Inuyasha’s side. The healer pushed his knuckles in and planted his hand on Inuyasha’s chest.

“Right there, push steady and even.” Daigon ordered.
Sesshomaru did so, Alir slid in, slipping into a comfortable position as he brought his mouth down on Inuyasha’s.

“Make sure he’s positioned right, keep his airways open. Tren you be ready to jump in. Preve, status?” Daigon asked as be began to pull various jars out of his bag.

“About half and half.” The archer responded.

Daigon made a noise as he started to mix the various liquids.

“Everyone restraining Inuyasha can stop, we need room now, into guard positions, we don’t want to be bothered.” Daigon informed. As the other men followed their orders Daigon continued, taking complete charge of the situation. “Sesshomaru what’s his heart situation? Is his blood moving?”

“Working….yes I can hear it.” Sesshomaru answered, he was so nervous right now, one mistake….he didn’t even want to think about it.

“Good but speed up. It doesn’t seem like his brain is getting enough.”

Sesshomaru obeyed without question, he was to focused on Inuyasha to even consider arguing anyway.

“Getting clearer!” Preve reported.

“Good…his brain is getting oxygen then.” Daigon muttered. “Deep breaths Alir, as much as he can hold, no point in holding back.” The healer was stirring the concoction now, quick but with care not to spill it.

“He blinked.” Preve said.

“That’s better…things are still functioning.”

“You mean he’s aware?” Tren asked.

“Not really…he’s in shock.” Daigon answered.

The green haired elemental dropped in next to Sesshomaru.

“This one requires your blood.”

“Then take it.” Sesshomaru snapped.

“I don’t like that one’s lips on Inuyasha’s. I don’t like any of this!” Sess-youkai roared.
Sesshomaru felt something jab into his arm, and then it was gone, and Daigon was mixing again. Sesshomaru wasn’t sure what Daigon was up to, and although he had known the healer his entire life, trusted him completely, he still had reservations about all of this.

It was Inuyasha after all.

What if it didn’t work? Worst of all if it did not, then Sesshomaru himself had killed his baby brother…and that did NOT sit well with him.

The next thing Sesshomaru knew Daigon had appeared in front of him, straddling Inuyasha’s waist with some….tool in his hand.

It had a bulb at the top, a tube, a long thin spike and some type of twisting handle.

“Alright…now….everyone shut up. Do NOT speak tot his one, do not touch him, nothing. What Daigon is about to do requires a very steady hand, and great concentration. One mistake, one wrong move, one twitch, and Inuyasha’s heart will be seriously damaged.” Daigon said seriously, before looking sideways at Sesshomaru with a very sardonic grin on his face. “Hope your up to it Sesshomaru…because you have to keep at it, and not cause this one’s hand to jump. No pressure.”

Daigon pushed two of Sesshomaru’s fingers apart and began to line up with his target.

“What are you going to do?” Sesshomaru asked.

“There is a very thin needle inside of this, hollowed out, and its going into Inuyasha’s heart. Once inside this one will pump the contents in. Problem occurs from the fact that one can not just go around jabbing holes into someone’s heart, it has to be timed right, so that when the heart expands, the smaller needle can actually slid right in, poking only a very small hole, and the heard will actually close around it, thus technically not putting a hole in it at all, or at least one that will seal instantly.” Daigon explained softly. “However because of the size the needed is rather brittle, so this one must use the larger part to puncture Inuyasha’s chest to get there. Yes it will bleed, but it will be taken care of. But your movements must be very steady, very controlled Sesshomaru.”

Great….if either of them so much as twitched Inuyasha was dead….no pressure indeed.

“And what is in that thing? Why did you need my blood?”

Daigon made a little mark on Inuyasha’s chest, apparently having determined where he was going to enter.

“Well…that’s complicated. One part is a chemical that induces muscle contractions, another is a relaxer, the two will make his heart…jump or flex if you will, without tightening up. Another is a reactive agent that will cause the first two to be absorbed quickly, they are not needed for long. A blood thinner to prevent clots…and so on and so forth. Your blood will be the….major catalyst. As you know when an older Inu’s blood enters a youngers system, it forces a reaction. In this case it will strengthen his demon blood, and could very well cause him to…change. Basically we are going to use your blood to kick his heart up SEVERAL notches. Your blood is much more…refined then his, old wine to new so to speak.” Daigon explained, hurting Sesshomaru’s head.

“Are you sure this will work? And I was under the assumption that the rapid heartbeat was a problem, hence the reason I was forced to stop his heart completely.” Sesshomaru growled.

“No, it was the skipping, it was out of control. And it will work without a doubt. The only way it would not was if his heart was decayed, and if that was so he would be dead already. Daigon assures you it will have an effect. Best case, it does just what we want. Mediocre case, it works be he is left weak and will have to be nursed back to health. Worst case, your blood causes him to go berserk and he tries to kill us. You….uh will be in cared of letting him know he is safe…family and all that.” Daigon answered. “Now quiet….”

Daigon slowly slid the spike in, pressing a cloth around it.

“Steady now…” Daigon whispered. “Focus…”

Sesshomaru channeled all his will into doing just that. Push. Relent. Push. Relent.

Suddenly Daigon pushed down, twisting the handle as he did.

“Got it!”

The healer depressed the bulb, and Sesshomaru could hear the fluid being pushed out.

“Okay...stay steady.” Daigon muttered as he twisted the handle back, slowly pulling the tool out of Inuyasha. Placing it back into the bad he pressed a cloth soaked in something to the small wound, steaming the blood flow.

“I can not help but notice that I am still forcing his heart to beat, and Alir is still breathing for him.” Sesshomaru snarled. Daigon growled back

“It takes a few moments for it to circulate through his system.” The healer snapped, twirling his hand in a circle.

“His eye are starting to change color, not the entire eye though, just the pupil.” Preve reported.

“What color?” Daigon asked.

“Kind of a blood red actually.”

A cocky smile appeared on Daigon’s face.

“Then its working.”

THUMP!

Inuyasha’s heart thudded against Sesshomaru’s hand, Sesshomaru stopped his movements, unsure of weather to continue or not.

“Back up Alir.” Daigon ordered. The guard did so, looking a little red in the face.

“That’s a little more tiring then it looks.” Alir panted. A second later Inuyasha’s body twitched and the hanyou began taking in short, shallow, but extremely rapid breaths.

“Everyone who isn’t Sesshomaru should back up…and watch his mouth.” Daigon advised. Preve did so, but Alir and Tren did not.

“Why?” Tren asked. “Shouldn’t we stay close in case we are needed?”

Sesshomaru could hear Inuyasha’s heart pounding in his chest about ten miles a minute. At this rate he wouldn’t be surprised if it burst right out of Inuyasha’s chest. Though other then the speed it sounded steady and strong, not at all like before.

“Because when he snaps out of it he’s not going to be thinking clearly or have a clue where he is. He’ll be running on instinct and for all intents and purposes he is a wounded Inu that will be in pain and in that situation…they always bite.” Daigon explained.

Sure enough, Inuyasha suddenly gasped loudly and sat up quick as a lightning bolt, Alir just barely pulled his arm away in time to avoid Inuyasha’s razor sharp teeth. The hanyou’s jaw slammed shut with such force a loud clack tore through the air.

Sesshomaru knee-dove in, practically tackling Inuyasha. Spinning behind the hanyou and cradling his head, both for comfort and to avoid being bitten himself, Sesshomaru did his best to contain his panicked sibling. Without a thought Sesshomaru curled his tail up near Inuyasha’s face, his fur had always held his scent more then his flesh, and purred softly in his throat as he rocked Inuyasha gently.

Inuyasha sniffed at the air, his body tense, but he didn’t struggle. Inuyasha could undoubtedly smell family, but didn’t seem to be processing at the information at hand very well.

Sesshomaru nuzzled the side of Inuyasha’s face, marking soft reassuring noises in his throat. He didn’t have to force it, it came naturally. Just an older brother letting his younger know he was safe. It almost made Sesshomaru want to cry, in a good way, just to be able to hold Inuyasha and say, without words. You are safe little brother, I’ve got you and you are safe.

Slowly Inuyasha began to relax, and with him so did Sesshomaru’s nerves.

But it didn’t last long, the moment Inuyasha came back to himself, he crossed his forearms over his chest, which now sported a large bruise, and let out a pitiful sob of pain. Sesshomaru held Inuyasha a little tighter, but was careful not to squeeze him. Daigon looked at Sesshomaru.

“Scoot him back milord.”

“Why?” Sesshomaru asked, he didn’t want to jar Inuyasha.

“Because he is pretty much sitting in a pool of his own blood.”

Oh….right.

Using his knee’s Sesshomaru lifted Inuyasha into his lap and pushed back with his heels, dragging his butt across the ground in a rather undignified way as he moved them about seven feet back. Not that he cared, a dirty ass was a minor price to pay for Inuyasha’s comfort.

As Sesshomaru eased Inuyasha into a more comfortable position Daigon knelt in front of the whimpering hanyou.

“Inuyasha…” Daigon said softly. “Can you hear Daigon?”

It took a minute but Inuyasha croaked.

“Yes…”

Inuyasha had practically curled into a ball in Sesshomaru’s lap and was shuddering in pain.

“Do you know who this on is?” Daigon asked as he pulled a quill and a piece of parchment out of his bag.

“…D-Daigon…you talk…funny.”

“Yes…yes Daigon does. Very good…Can you tell this one who is behind you?” The healer asked. Inuyasha turned his head slightly, looking up at Sesshomaru, his eyes were unfocused, pained and bloodshot.

“Sess-Sesshomaru…”

Daigon nodded approvingly, and then Sesshomaru caught a stronger whiff of Inuyasha’s own scent, it was pained, but there was something else there…something…chemical.

“And can you tell Daigon who are the two to your right?”

Inuyasha turned his head slowly.

“Alir….T-Tren….” Inuyasha said, slurring slightly.

“I don’t like that smell! What is it?!” Sess-youkai growled. Indeed there appeared to be more inside of Inuyasha then Daigon had told him.

“Good, very good.” Daigon said as he jotted something down. “Now…how are you feeling?”

Inuyasha took a shuttering breath and swallowed thickly.

“M-my chest hurts…it burns.” Inuyasha sobbed. He sounded so much like a child, his voice higher pitched and unfocused.

“Yes well…you’ve just had something of an attack….but your alright now.” Daigon said, his voice taking on the soft, professional tone of a healer. “This one has something to make your chest feel better but first he has to ask you a few questions and check a few things so he gets everything right. Is that alright with you?” Inuyasha nodded slowly. “Very good. First is there anything you need?” Inuyasha shivered.

“I’m cold….my throat hurts.”

Carefully Sesshomaru curled his tail around more of Inuyasha’s body, the hanyou shivered again, but seemed to relax a little bit.

“How about something to drink? Some tea perhaps?”

“…Kay…”
Daigon glanced at Retsu, who nodded and began to get to work.

“I’m….sticky.” Inuyasha whispered.

“Its okay, we are going to get you cleaned up, and some nice clean clothes on you.” Daigon said. “Does he have spare clothing?” The healer asked Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru shook his head, he had not thought to bring any, which made him feel stupid, but there was clothing in their wing of the Castle of Gathering.

“I’ve got some. Plain stuff but it should fit.” Tren said.

“Thank you.” Daigon replied before turning his attention back to Inuyasha. “Its all on its way but this one must a you a few things. Now there are no wrong answers here, just answer honestly okay?” Inuyasha nodded. “Have you been having pain in your spine? Perhaps a hot burn in your rear area?”

“Yes…”

“May this one check that area?”

Inuyasha groaned.

“I don’t…want anyone looking…at my butt.”

Daigon patted Inuyasha’s shoulder gently.

“Do not worry, it will only be Daigon and Sesshomaru.” The healer assured. “And we will do our best not to focus on your butt.”

Inuyasha was silent, but he looked so pitiful that Sesshomaru just wanted to beat someone, unfortunately there was no one to blame for all this…yet.

“Okay..” Inuyasha said softly.

“This one needs you to turn over then.”

Slowly Inuyasha did as was asked, with Sesshomaru aiding him. Inuyasha’s limbs shook, struggling to perform the simple movements. Sesshomaru helped support Inuyasha as Daigon eased the hanyou up on his knees.

“Easy now.” Daigon whispered as he slid Inuyasha’s pants down. Retsu came out, setting a bucket down, Sesshomaru could see steam rising off of it and there was a cloth hanging over the edge.

“Tea will be ready in a moment.” Retsu said gently and then left. Sesshomaru had a moment to wonder where the chef had found hot water, but then he heard the crackling of burning wood. Sesshomaru chided himself, a fire of course.
Well…his brother had just had a freaky heart attack, so he was allowed to be a little off at the moment. Yes…that was it.

Dipping the cloth into the water Daigon squeezed it over Inuyasha’s back. The water helped wash the remaining blood off of the hanyou, along with Daigon’s’ gentle scrubbing.

After the boy was mostly clean Daigon turned his attention to finding what had made Inuyasha scream, or at least that was what Sesshomaru figured he was doing.
It didn’t take long, though Sesshomaru was afraid Daigon would spread Inuyasha’s cheeks, his youkai was already growling about Inuyasha being in the classic Inu mating position as it was. But Daigon did not do that, instead he took one look and grimaced, hissing as he did.

“Agh…”

Whatever it was it couldn’t be good.

“What? What is the matter?” Sesshomaru asked.

Daigon removed two jars out of his bag, one held a clear fluid, the other a light blue solid, perhaps a cream? The healer also pulled out a pair of tongs.

“Well the good news is that the blood did not come out of his anus, so we don’t have to worry about him bleeding in his intestinal tract. There is a problem, but it is not serious to his health at the moment, it is just painful. The bad news is that if we leave it as it is, it will become infected, and that infection will eventually work its want into his spine. However this is an easily fixed issue.” Daigon reported.

“Then fix it.” Sesshomaru said. Ignoring him Daigon instead spoke to Inuyasha.

“Inuyasha…Inuyasha, this one has located what is giving you pain. He can remove the cause, but…it will hurt.”

Inuyasha pressed his face into Sesshomaru’s chest, clutching at his top.

“Nooo…” The hanyou whimpered, causing Sesshomaru to unconsciously bare his fangs for a moment.
Daigon wore a sympathetic look.

“Daigon is very sorry young one. But it must be done, if not it will only continue to cause you pain and it will make you sick. But this one promises that it will only hurt for a few moments and then he has something to make it better. You just have to be strong okay?”

Inuyasha whimpered, pushing himself tighter against Sesshomaru and grabbing his hand in his own. The hanyou nodded slightly against Sesshomaru and the older demon looked at Daigon, and nodded himself.
Daigon clicked his tongue and slowly wrapped the tong heads in a compacted white gauze, before he gently gripped onto whatever it was near Inuyasha’s bottom. Inuyasha gasped, squeezing Sesshomaru’s hand tightly.

“Okay…here it comes.” Daigon warned. The healer began to pull, and Inuyasha began to scream, low but steady into Sesshomaru’s chest. Honestly if Inuyasha hadn’t been holding his hand so tightly Sesshomaru would have probably knocked the healer into the next world, and his tail was currently keeping Inuyasha warm….

“Oh you are SO lucky healing boy…” Sess-youkai growled.

“Sorry, sorry, must go slow.” Daigon murmured. The more Daigon pulled, the harder Inuyasha squeezed his hand, it hurt, but he tolerated it.

A sharp pain exploded in Sesshomaru’s hand as Daigon pulled whatever it was free, and Inuyasha cried out, jumping forward hard enough he almost knocked Sesshomaru over.

It looked like…a bone sliver, four inches long and covered with blood and a little…pus.

“Gross…gross…GROSS!̶ 1; Sess-youkai gagged.

“Shhh…Shhh…its okay. Its over.” Daigon soothed as he put the sliver into the jar of clear fluid, which fizzed and bubbled as it submerged and the healer sealed it. Dipping two of his fingers into the light blue cream Daigon smoothed it onto the base of Inuyasha’s tailbone, who released Sesshomaru’s aching hand and sighed pleasantly. “See…that’s better. Your very brave.” Daigon said.

Placing some type of bandage on the spot Daigon eased Inuyasha’s pants the rest of the way off, and tossed them to the side. Tren came out and handed a pair of pants and a thick plain shirt to Daigon. Both were a light cream color but Sesshomaru really wasn’t concerned about fashion at the moment.

“Thank you.” Daigon said. Tren nodded and made his way back to his guard position. “Okay Inuyasha, this one is going to help dress you now, your probably getting chilled anyway.” Daigon chirped as he eased the new garments over Inuyasha’s legs, up his thighs and taking special care near the hanyou’s rear. “There nice and snug.”

Sesshomaru took the opportunity to examine his throbbing hand. He quickly discovered that Inuyasha had dislocated all four of his knuckles. Daigon raised an eyebrow when he saw it.

“It is not a problem.” Sesshomaru said dismissively as he closed his fist, pressing it flat to the ground and quickly popping them back into place.

“Alright now Inuyasha, before we get you turned back over and get a top on you, is there anything else that hurts back here?” Daigon asked. Wiping his face on Sesshomaru’s shirt Inuyasha groaned.

“My back…”

“Your back? Where on your back?”

Inuyasha tried to raise his hand, perhaps to point, but he couldn’t.

“L-Low…” Inuyasha whispered, sounding tired and frustrated.

“Lower.” Sesshomaru reported.
Daigon pressed both hands to Inuyasha’s lower back.

“Here?”

Inuyasha nodded. Daigon probed gently, working his fingers slowly. “How often does it hurt?” Daigon asked.

“….All the time.” Inuyasha replied. Daigons eyebrows flicked up in surprise as his fingers found something.

“Not surprising…unfortunately this one can not do much for this right now, but thank you for bringing it to his attention.” Daigon said. “But once we return to the Western castle perhaps something can be done. Any idea on how you hurt it?”

“Kagome.”

“What’s a Kagome again? That girl?” Daigon muttered as he and Sesshomaru helped Inuyasha turn back around.

After Inuyasha was seated against him Sesshomaru answered for the boy as Daigon helped him put the top on.

“Yes the girl in his group, the miko, not the slayer.”

“And how would such a teeny thing harm him?”

“Sat me…” Inuyasha whispered, before wincing in pain.

“That again? Perhaps Daigon must have a talk with this…Kagome.”

Inuyasha closed his eyes and let his head flop sideways against Sesshomaru’s arm.

“Get in line.” Sesshomaru growled.

Soon Retsu came over, a cup in his hands.

“I put honey in it, should help at least a little.” The chef stated. He handed the cup to Inuyasha, but even though Inuyasha used both hands, it was like he could barely grip it, they were shaking badly. Daigon moved in to help.

“I’m not weak.” Inuyasha protested, but allowed Daigon to help him take a drink regardless.

“Never said you were, its just a side effect of the medicine this one gave you, it will pass.” Daigon lied. Sesshomaru wasn’t sure if the hanyou should chug the tea, but that is just what he did, down in three big swallows.

Inuyasha whimpered and twitched with each swallow, it obviously hurt to perform even something so simple. Once finished Inuyasha winced in pain once again, letting out one to the little “Oh!” gasps of pain that had been doing since he revived.

“My chest really hurts.” Inuyasha moaned.

“This one knows, just a few more little tests and then we will get right to that. Promise.” Daigon stated.

Sesshomaru struggled to control himself, why wouldn’t Daigon get right to the most glaring issue? Why allow Inuyasha to cry and whimper in pain? Sesshomaru knew there must be a good reason and that was about the only thing that was keeping him from smacking the healer upside the head.

Daigon pressed in on Inuyasha’s sides.

“Does this hurt?”

“No.”

The healer pressed in on Inuyasha’s belly.

“How about this?”

“..No.”


“Okay then, this one will start on making your chest feel better.”

“…Kay.” Inuyasha whispered.

As Daigon began to fiddle with things inside of his side bag, Sesshomaru noticed Atrius was sitting up…slowly.

“Ow…fuck…ow…” The fox slurred.

“You dead?” Daigon shouted. Shaking his head sharply the kit spit something out.

“Missing some teeth…that’s about it, I’ll live…I think. Jaw…not broken…I think….” Atrius groaned. “Anyone see the stampede that ran me over?”

“They’ll grown back before you know it.” Preve said.

“Hey…sometimes to protect your Lord you gotta take a knee to the face.” Po chuckled.

“Oh…well I’m glad its standard procedure then.” Atrius snapped sarcastically, before holding a hand up. “No, no…its okay guys, don’t all help me up at once.”

Ko offered a hand and pulled the kit to his feet, Atrius wobbled and nearly fell, only Ko’s arm standing between him and a face full of dirt.

“Its official….good gods does he hit hard.” Atrius moaned.

“Sit him up with Retsu, he’s in no condition to walk.” Preve ordered. Ko nodded and gave Atrius his shoulder.

“This one will be over soon.” Daigon said as he started to mix stuff together again. Just what all did he have in that bag anyway?

Sesshomaru combed his fingers through Inuyasha’s hair, lightly rubbing the base of the hanyou’s ears in the process. It was strange, as badly as he wanted his baby brother close, this was not satisfying him at all, even though the danger was over. What was worse was that Inuyasha was hurting and there was nothing he could do about it. It was beyond frustrating.

“Inuyasha…talk to Daigon.” The healer suddenly said.

“About what?” The hanyou muttered. Sesshomaru still couldn’t get over the childlike tone in Inuyasha’s voice.

“Anything…whatever is on your mind.” The elemental responded. Inuyasha’s head rolled to the side, away from Sesshomaru’s arm and back against his chest. His baby brother was silent, just staring forward.

“There’s…a big dog standing behind you.” Inuyasha muttered. Sesshomaru and everyone else looked, expect for Daigon, but Sesshomaru didn’t see or smell anything. Preve looked at Sesshomaru and shook his head.

“Oh? Big huh? How big? Like up to this one’s waist? Daigon has always liked Inu…especially puppies…so cute.”

“N-no…its huge…like as big as a tree.” Inuyasha muttered.

“Wow that is a big dog.” Daigon chirped. “Its not going to eat Daigon is it? He so does not wish to be Inu poo.”

“Its…just sitting there.”

“Well that’s good. Tell Daigon about it. What color is it? What’s it look like?”

“Um…white..ish? My eyes aren’t working right I think….its all blurry.” Inuyasha replied.

“Ah…kinda fuzzy is it?” Daigon chuckled as he put a lid on the jar he was working on, shaking it vigorously.

“Hey….” Inuyasha exclaimed, sounding confused. “Its…gone. It just…like melted away.” Daigon hummed.

“Well you know how those big dogs are. So fickle, probably has got a big ol’ tree to pee on.” The healer then placed the jar on the ground at Sesshomaru’s side. “Needs a few minutes to settle.” Sesshomaru was informed, before the greenette got up and made his way towards the still stunned Atrius.

A few minutes passed, Sesshomaru cradling Inuyasha in his lap. Sesshomaru could smell the salty scent of fresh tears and it made his insides ache.

“Oh god….it hurts….my chest really burns.” Inuyasha whined. Sesshomaru kissed the top of Inuyasha’s head.

“Not much longer.” Sesshomaru whispered, even though he had no clue as to how long it would be. He was pretty sure if Inuyasha had not been so loopy the hanyou would have become fed up with being told to wait by now. Just what all had Daigon put into the young hanyou?

“Should be ready.” Daigon shouted. Thank goodness…

Lifting the jar up Sesshomaru set it in Inuyasha’s lap.

“Hold this for me Inuyasha, then I can help you.” He said. Inuyasha did so, or tried. Accursed missing arm….

Inuyasha’s grip was weak but Sesshomaru was able to get the lid off. Inside was a white semi-solid gel, dipping his fingers into it Sesshomaru began the task of spreading it across the yellowish-black bruise on Inuyashas chest.

Inuyasha gasped, but didn’t seem to be in pain.

“Tingles…” The hanyou whispered.

The jar was only half full so Sesshomaru used it all, and it must have helped, because Inuyasha ceased groaning. That pleased Sesshomaru, he had been a bit worried he was doing it all wrong, rubbing something into a bruised area seemed…iffy, but it was the only thing that came to mind.

Sesshomaru rumbled pleasantly in his chest as Inuyasha relaxed further and further into him. Sesshomaru was sure Inuyasha would have fallen asleep, which he wasn’t sure was a good idea or not, had not Daigon come back and placed some kind of bandage on Inuyasha’s chest.

“Better?” Daigon asked.

“Yes…”

“Good…now hows about we get you up and over to Retsu’s cart, you could probably used something in your tummy huh?” Daigon suggested as he tied Inuyasha’s shirt close.

“Okay…..”
But rather then allow Inuyasha to stand and try and walk Sesshomaru himself just stood, lifting Inuyasha with him. It wasn’t easy to carry Inuyasha like that with only one arm, but Sesshomaru managed.

Inuyasha didn’t protest, not even when Sesshomaru set him on the front seat of Retsu’s new cart.

Daigon shooed Sesshomaru away, annoying gnat, and stood in front of Inuyasha, his hands on the boy’s knee’s

“Alright now, your going to sit here with Atrius and Retsu, you know them, your going to have something to eat, they will help you. It might be a little bumpy because we are going to get going now okay?”

To Sesshomaru’s absolute shock Inuyasha actually nodded, and Retsu began to speak to him.

More then ever Sesshomaru was convinced that there was something in Inuyasha’s system causing this, and now the healer was going to have some serious explaining to do. Not just about that…but about everything.

“And he had better have some answers.” Sess-youkai growled.

Daigon nodded to Sesshomaru and the two of them made their way to the front of the group, the rest followed. Sesshomaru was a little annoyed that Daigon had just ordered them to continue, even sitting in a cart he wasn’t sure if Inuyasha was really up for travel. He had been willing to wait for Rin, he was more then willing to wait for Inuyasha. But he would let it pass….

For now.

“Tell. Me. What. Happened.” Sesshomaru said firmly.

“Your guess is as good as any.” Daigon retorted.

“And just what does that mean?” Sesshomaru growled. “My patience is wearing very thin Daigon, please tread carefully.”

If he was ruffled the healer didn’t show it.

“It means this one has no clue. Oh he knows what technically occurred…but the why and how? Good questions.”

“Continue.” Sesshomaru snapped, even though he knew the elemental intended to.

“What just happened is medically impossible, it can’t happen. But it just did.” Daigon snarled, sounding more frustrated then Sesshomaru had ever heard, which dulled his own anger somewhat.

“It has never happened before?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Daigon should think not.” The healer snorted. “But even if it has, which this one doubts, he had never heard about it, read about it in any report, or even fairy tale, and he has never seen it in his entire life.”

“I don’t understand.” Sesshomaru said. It was some sort of heart attack right? Even Sesshomaru had seen one in his life, Daigon should have seen plenty. The greenette sighed.

“Inuyasha suffered heart failure, but at the same time his heart went into a state that usually signifies change. At the same time! That can’t happen…not simultaneously. One should cancel out the other understand? One can not…live and die at once.” Daigon spat. “This one is not sure which came first but either way one should have overtaken the other, that this one has seen, but they did not, they were happening fifty-fifty. His heart was bouncing around in his chest like a rubber ball.”

Sesshomaru didn’t like where this was going, never once had he seen or even heard of the great Daigon being stumped. Why now? Why did it have to happen to Inuyasha?

“Why is he acting like that?” Sesshomaru asked, he was curious to the sudden docile, child-like changes in Inuyasha’s behavior. Plus maybe if Daigon focused on something else he might….well figure something out about what had happened.

“You mean other then having a massive heart attack? He’s drugged, this one couldn’t have him arguing. Plus his brain is off kilter, he’s aware, but not really thinking.” Daigon answered. As much as he wanted to know Sesshomaru knew better then to asked what drugs where in Inuyasha’s system, at least not now, the healer would use technical names and Sesshomaru’s head couldn’t take a long list of twelve syllable words right now.

“Why does his chest burn”

“Well you did punch him three times. That combined with attack itself and your blood…its no wonder really.” Daigon replied. Great…two out of the three reasons were all on him…life could be SO fair sometimes.

Daigon sighed and crossed his arms.

“You may want to prepare….for the idea….that Inuyasha is dieing.”

Not what he wanted to hear!

“What??
” Sesshomaru growled, flexing his claws as he did. “I thought you agreed this was a growth period, a somewhat bizarre one.” Sesshomaru’s youkai had gone quiet, which was never a good sign in a situation like this.

“This one did, until that just happened. Daigon isn’t saying that is what is happening. All he is saying is that it’s a possibility.” The healer said.

“Well…which is more likely?” Sesshomaru demanded to know, he was getting more worried by the second.

“At this point?…half and half to be honest.” Daigon replied. “But it makes no sense either way. On one hand he shows clear signs of maturing, on the other he shows signs of organ failure.”

This was NOT happening, not now. He couldn’t lose his baby brother now, he REFUSED to lose him now.

Sesshomaru gripped the pommel of his Tenseiga, it seemed the sword he had initially considered useless would truly cement itself.

“This one is afraid that wouldn’t work Sesshomaru.” Daigon said softly.

“What are you talking about?” Of course it would work, it had worked on Rin, worked on Jaken, it had even worked on the decapitated head of what now compromised his other blade.

“Whatever is happening is natural, bizarre but natural. It’s not a disease, or poison….and this one doubts it’s a curse. If you brought him back he would only die again a short time later.” Daigon explained. Sesshomaru wanted to punch the healer in the face.

Repeatedly.

It wouldn’t do any good, but by the gods at least it was something. Was there nothing he could do?

NO! He refused to accept that, he just needed time to think.

“So what is causing it Daigon? What is killing my sibling?” Sesshomaru growled. Daigon cracked his knuckles, a habit Sesshomaru was sure the healer had picked up from his family, something he always did when he was annoyed.

“As unbelievable as it sounds….old age.”

“That’s stupid!” Sesshomaru snapped. “He is still so young! Just look at him.”

“Daigon knows. That’s what makes this such a puzzle. He is strong, heals well it seems, his heart was so strong it was to much for this one to handle. They say a candle burns brightest just before it flickers out but…this makes no sense whatsoever.” Daigon responded.

“I still can’t believe you can not pinpoint this.” Sesshomaru muttered in anger. He wasn’t angry at Daigon, he was just…angry.

“All diagnoses is based on a few things. One is recognizing symptoms, another is understanding how a biological systems work.” Daigon retorted. “But even if the impossible had not apparently just occurred he is still a hanyou and that…complicates things.”

“How so?”

“Everyone seems to labor under the same delusion. But the fact is, hanyou are not a species, a breed. The only thing any of them have in common is mixed blood. Demon’s are a species, human’s are a species. Hanyou are mutations.” Daigon explained. “No two are alike, even if Inu-Taisho and Inuyasha’s mother had had another child, physiologically it would have been nothing like Inuyasha himself. Now some take after one parent or the other and based of his initial examination this one truly believed that Inuyasha took after your Father. But now…that would have not happened to any demon. Had this one had Inuyasha’s entire life up until this point to study him he could have probably mapped out Inuyasha’s system, but he did not, this he is in the dark.”

Sesshomaru chose to ignore that little jab at him and asked.

“Is there nothing in your studies on hanyou that can help us then? Surely there must be something we can go on.”

“Well yes…all hanyou, documented that is, have suffered health problems. No one truly knows why, but it’s the one reason this one is against Demon and Human cross reproduction. Why have a child that is almost assured health issues? In fact that may be the problem here.”

Great…their one fact was a bad one…

“There must be something you have learned about him.” Sesshomaru said weakly.

“Yes, he is actually quite healthy, if a little malnourished.” Daigon replied.

“If he is healthy then how…” Sesshomaru growled.

“Congratulations…you have finally caught up with Daigon.” He healer chuckled humorlessly. “It doesn’t make one bit of sense.”

“So the problem could be a defective gene or some such thing.” Sesshomaru stated.

“Could be. Its tough to say at the moment. However this one is sure that he can prevent an attack like that from happening again.”

“Truly?”

Sesshomaru’s spirits lightened, if the attack was prevented then there would be no damage to Inuyasha.

“Yes but it will not keep his heart form shutting down this one is afraid.”

“What will happen then?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Nothing really. It won’t be a big affair. One day he will feel tired, lay down, and never wake up.” Daigon answered.

“Unacceptable then. Pain or no at least we have a warning with it now.” Sesshomaru snapped. Honestly…if it didn’t solve the problem then what was the point?

“Sesshomaru…” Daigon said gently. “When the time comes, warning or not, there won’t be anything we can do. If it must happen….well passing away painlessly in your sleep isn’t a bad way to go.”

Sesshomaru seriously was about to backhand Daigon and damn the consequences when a thought occurred to him.

“So…the problem is that Inuyasha’s system is weakening even though it appears strong.”

“Correct.”

“Then if Inuyasha could somehow modify his system…then he would be safe.”

“Daigon does not see why not…it’s a good theory. But how would he do it?”

“What if he could absorb other life forms into himself, take parts of them to…fix himself.” Sesshomaru suggested.

“Well…yes that could work, but Sesshomaru…unless this one is mistaken that is not an ability that resides in your bloodline. Thus Inuyasha can not do that.”

No….but Naraku could. The slime was constantly adding into himself, he’d even tried to absorb Sesshomaru.

“IF you had such a demon to examine….could you discover how it is they perform such an act?” Sesshomaru asked.

“And then implant it into Inuyasha.” Daigon finished. “Rather…ghastly but yes…Daigon thinks is possible. But it would certainly kill the subject.”

“Not a concern, the subject in mind has been marked for death by this Sesshomaru anyway.” Sesshomaru informed.

“Ah…this one foresees at least one problem already. If the original organism can already do such a thing, what is to stop the piece of it from taking over Inuyasha from within?” Daigon asked.

“Another puzzle for the great Daigon to solve.” Sesshomaru answered. Daigon snorted.

“He is glad you have such…reasonable requests.”

Thinking of the vile hanyou brought on another thought.

“What of the Shikon jewel?”

“Well now your are getting into the supernatural, not this one’s area of expertise.” Daigon responded. “But if the legends are true then yes, it would heal your brother easily.”

Sesshomaru’s stomach unclenched slightly, at least he had options now, that pleased him. Granted both resided with Naraku, but that did not daunt him, the cur could run, he could hide, but he would never escape Sesshomaru, the older Inu would chase him to the ends of the earth and even into hell itself if he had to.

But there was still the matter of Inuyasha passing on before Sesshomaru could gain the means to save him. He could be revived by Tenseiga yes, but according to Daigon he would die again soon and from that Sesshomaru could not bring him back from.

Nor could he wait until he had the means and then revive Inuyasha, the window was to small, the hanyou’s soul would be taken beyond before to long.

“Is there a way to keep one’s soul with the body long after passing?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Again…not Daigon’s area. That is a question for your Magi…if you had one.” The healer answered. Sesshomaru grown his teeth together, he had beheaded the last man to hold that position for gross incompetence years ago, and much to his displeasure the station still had not been filled. “But to the point…this one recalls reading of a ritual, one where the body was suspended in a special, enchanted fluid. This supposedly tied the soul to the spot. Apparently it was to be some type of guard, but it was mentioned that after a few hundred years of this imprisonment the soul would go mad.”

Hm…well Inuyasha would not have to wait nearly that long.

The plan in mind Sesshomaru clenched hi fist, he would start immediately.

“And Naraku….you will have no refuge in his world” Sesshomaru vowed.

“Judging by the look on your face this one suspects that you are getting ahead of yourself.” Daigon suddenly said.

“Explain.” Sesshomaru replied curtly. Ahead of himself? How could there be time to waste?

“Well…while this one can not state with any certainty that was is occurring in Inuyasha is a good thing, he can also not state with any certainty that what is happening is a bad thing.” Daigon explained.

“You have given me nothing but negative information, if there is positive then give me that.” Sesshomaru growled. “Is there positive evidence?”

Daigon rubbed at the bridge of his nose.

“Yes actually. For one thing everything inside of him seems to be rather strong, uprooting that tree was rather spectacular when you think about it, he is anything but frail. Initial examinations of his blood revealed positives, no viruses or bacteria were found, the individual blood cells themselves seemed perfectly healthy. He is in the process of declawing, which can only mean that his stronger, sharper set are on the way, and although the natural and purpose of the fluid they secret and house is yet unknown there is clear evidence that the glands in his hands are forming. To say nothing of the obvious growth spurt.” Daigon detailed.

“Go on.” Sesshomaru prodded. This was certainly more interesting then hearing his brother was dieing.

“Another telling piece of is the spinal bone spur this one removed.”

“Yes…what was that all about?” Sesshomaru asked, he’d never seen such a thing, it looked somewhat gruesome.

“What it was, was a piece of fragmented spinal column, that began stuck and infected.” Daigon answered.

“That sounds…bad.” Sesshomaru replied simply. Why would a piece of Inuyasha’s spine be floating around inside of him? Sesshomaru had a feeling that the miko was involved, always slamming Inuyasha into the ground like that. If he found out that was the case then he would break her back himself, no discussion, no protesting. Just snap and over with.

“It is a common problem, painful but mundane. It means his spine is evolving, changing itself to support and control a tail.”

Sesshomaru knew the spine changed and new muscles grew in but…

“I did not have such a problem.”

“Your tail came in very smoothly, and very early, you were the exception, not the rule. This one believes it has something to do with your mother giving birth to you in her true form, rather then her other.”

Ah well…that wasn’t bad he supposed.

“The only confusion thing is that he should have been showing by now. When the spur was removed at least a small part of his tail should have popped out. As you know an Inu’s tail grows slowly, but perhaps because he is a hanyou…maybe that is what is taking so long.”
Sesshomaru thought about that for a moment, then he remembered something.

“What about the dog? Was he hallucinating?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Ah well that is either a telling piece of evidence, or the influence of your blood.” Daigon replied. “We both know that when an Inu become a certain age they shift into their true form, and as you might remember from you own experiences they -see- themselves before it happens. Or your blood was causing it. So he either saw himself….or you.”

“And that’s why you asked him what it looked like.” Sesshomaru half asked, half stated.

“Correct.” Daigon said. “But as it faded so quickly, and he did not change, this one is leaning towards it being you that Inuyasha saw.”


“I see…” Sesshomaru muttered. “But if it is a growth period it should have been over by now. And how could a growth period cause that mess?”

Daigon pursed hi lips, rocking his head back and forth.

“Well…because he is only half demon it may cause the changes to take longer. But as to how it would cause that…this one has a few theories.”

“And those are? I know how you get about guessing but I need something to go on.” Sesshomaru said.

Daigon was silent for a long time, obviously debating his next move. Sesshomaru had never known the healer to say anything before he was totally sure, but in a way Daigon had already broke that rule at the beginning of their discussion.

“While Inuyasha is reasonably health, he is malnourished as Daigon has said. That could have caused the problem actually.” The healer suddenly whispered.

“How?” Sesshomaru asked.

“One can not start a fire without wood, fuel so to speak. It is possible that his body tried to jump start the change and begin the final stages and he just didn’t have enough reserve to perform all the actions…and his system crashed. After all, in the weeks before, during, and after a milestone your kind often consume at least a few hundred pounds of food a week. Do you think Inuyasha had eaten a third of that?”
Sesshomaru sighed.

“I don’t think Inuyasha has eaten that much in his entire life.” Come to think of it Sesshomaru remembered Inuyasha stating that he had never gotten enough to eat on a regular basis, even with his group. Sesshomaru recalled that being on of the things Inuyasha had berated them about.

It made sense, Sesshomaru remembered how he had always seemed to be hungry when his own milestone came up. It had been what had tipped off everyone as to what was about to happen to inside of him.

But Inuyasha had been hungry most, if not all, of his life. The boy probably wouldn’t even think anything of it. Before Inuyasha had started to refuse he had doubled up on his meal that day, in spite of having just eaten quite a bit.

So maybe Daigon was on to something.

“It is also possible that his body is trying to change, but is hitting a wall. Because of his half-breed nature.” The healer continued. “After all, the form you yourself now inhabit is not your -true- form. Your more powerful claws, your poison, your tail. These are all parts of your true self pushing through your dormant half. Has Inuyasha ever shifted to a different form?”

“Not that I am aware of.” Sesshomaru answered.

“Then that could be the problem, his demon side may be attempting to start something that his body just can not do.” Daigon replied. “What we would do then…is a puzzle, but there is sure to be a solution…just might take some doing.”

Sesshomaru nodded and took a deep breath.

“Until we know more…this is a growth period if he asks, I don’t think it is good for his mental health to be told he may be dieing-” Sesshomaru’s voice caught in his throat and he swallowed hard. “-if we do not know anything for sure.”

Daigon nodded as well.

“Agreed.”

“What was wrong with his back?” Sesshomaru asked, another problem…but what the hell? Why not. Bring it all on….

“On a small, yet positive side note, his ribs seem to have healed up nicely.” Daigon reported. “Oh his back? Well it appears the muscles in his lower back have been repeatedly ripped, much more then this one thought. There is extensive scarring. They must have ripped, healed, ripped again, ripped while healing. Some of the scars feel like the muscles ripped, then were subjected to the same force that caused the injury almost immediately afterwards, tearing them even more.”

Sesshomaru’s jaw clenched so tightly his teeth ached. God damn miko…did she even think before she did things? He had better find out that she had an extremely important purpose if he was to spare here.

“And what can be done to correct this?” Sesshomaru asked through his teeth.

“A simple surgery. This one will need to reopen the scars, or remove the tissue altogether, to allow it to heal properly.” Daigon answered. “But he is hesitant because Inuyasha can not be awake, he must be put under, and unfortunately that can sometimes cause heart complications. Usually that is easily corrected, but considering the situation this one is not willing to risk it.” Daigon said.

Silence took over as they walked, Sesshomaru sinking deeper into his own mind. So much to plan, so much to consider. He could only pray that it would be for nothing, that Inuyasha would be fine.

“It looks like he is almost finished eating.” Daigon said. “This one asked Retsu to clear a spot in the back of his cart for Inuyasha to lay in, perhaps you should join him.”

“And why should he lay in the cart instead of sitting where he is?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Part of the solution this one gave him makes one very groggy if you eat. He is hoping Inuyasha will fall asleep, your presence should ensure that.” Daigon replied.

The idea of Inuyasha curled up against his chest made Sesshomaru feel warm inside, nonetheless he had to wonder.

“Is it wise for him to fall asleep so soon after such a shock to his system?”

“This one feels it would be good for Inuyasha to get at least a little rest. Plus in a state of sleep his system should be able to even out easier.” Daigon responded.

Hmmm…that seemed reasonable.

Drifting back towards the cart Sesshomaru smiled when he saw a droopy eyed Inuyasha yawn, it was a cute image. Reaching out Sesshomaru slid his arm under Inuyasha’s legs and lifted him up off the cart. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around Sesshomaru’s neck for support, an act that overjoyed Sesshomaru.

“Where we goin?” Inuyasha asked sleepily.

“Not far.” Sesshomaru answered.

Making his way back to the rear of the cart Sesshomaru stepped up into it. It was a little tricky with it still moving and all, but he had the balance to do it.

Using his tail to cushion the spot Sesshomaru eased both of them down, using the rest of his tail to warm Inuyasha as he pulled his baby brother close to his chest.

Inuyasha made a pleasant noise and nuzzled Sesshomaru’s chest, using it for a pillow as he his eyes closed.

“How come you never hold me like that?” Alir teased, elbowing his mate.

“Cause your such a pushy brat.” Tren replied.

Sesshomaru chuckled and moved his hand up to massage the top of Inuyasha’s head.

“Sweet dreams little brother.” Sesshomaru whispered.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Inu yasha was floating in the darkness, somewhere between waking and sleep. He was warm, comfortable, but his body still ached all over. His limbs popped as he stretched them….mmm…that felt good.

Inuyasha pulled himself closer to the solid warmth that cradled him. It was much nicer then his usual resting place, maybe he could just stay here forever. He didn’t see why he couldn’t, he didn’t have anything else to do did he?

Besides if he stayed here long enough maybe all the aches and pains were go away, maybe his body would finally heal.

He just wished his chest would stop aching so.

Inuyasha wasn’t sure how long he had been there, time didn’t seem to matter, floating in that warm dark place, when suddenly the softness under his body disappeared and he felt like hew as really in the air. A split second later he crashed back down painfully on his hip, jarring him awake.

“Retsu!” A voice he recognized chided.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t see the rock! Its getting dark….” Came another.

Inuyasha blinked, but all he saw was a red, yellow and orange blob. It took him a minute to realize that he was watching the sun go down. Where was he? Why did he feel so…fuzzy?

Tilting his head back Inuyasha found himself staring into Sesshomaru’s eyes, and it all came back to him.

He remembered the searing pain in his chest.

He remembered how hard it was to breathe.

And he remembered feeling his heart stop after Sesshomaru stuck him repeatedly in it.

Son of a bitch.

Snarling Inuyasha pushed away from Sesshomaru, sprawling backwards out of the cart and landing on the back of his head and shoulders. Inuyasha rolled up onto his feet, everyone instantly stopped. Sesshomaru himself gracefully stepped off of the cart.

“Inuyasha….”

“You fucking son of a bitch! You tried to kill me!!” Inuyasha roared. Sesshomaru looked down at the ground for a moment, a shocking event in and of itself.

“It is…not what you think little brother.”

Inuyasha’s chest was still sore as hell, he could tell he had one fuck all of a bruise from the way it felt.

“Bullshit! Don’t you -little brother- me! Its exactly what I think it is!” Inuyasha snapped. Not since Kikyo’s arrow had pierced him had he ever felt so betrayed.

“Lord Inuyasha…please calm down, there is much you don’t understand.” Daigon said softly. Yeah right…because someone punching you held so many meanings.

Inuyasha said nothing as Sesshomaru suddenly reached for him, he wasn’t sure what the bastard was planning, but it wasn’t going to happen.

Inuyasha caught a hold of Sesshomaru’s wrist and twisted hard, forcing Sesshomaru to spin to avoid it being broken, because of this Inuyasha was able to pull Sesshomaru’s arm over his own shoulder without changing his footing.

His target was totally undefended.

As quick as a lightning bolt Inuyasha drew back and drove his fist right where Sesshomaru had struck him. Dead center in the heart.

Sesshomaru grunted painfully and stumbled back, falling onto his ass when Inuyasha released his wrist.

Daigon and a few others jumped in between the two of them.

Come to think of it…that was only like…the third time he had ever been able to knock Sesshomaru down.

“Go you.” Inu-youkai said.

Clutching at his own wounded chest and with moist eyes Inuyasha roared.

“I understand a lot of things! You know what one of them is?! That you don’t punch someone in the heart! Especially when they are obviously having a problem with it!!

“He had to!” Daigon shot back. “He did it to save your life and this one told him to in the first place.”

Inuyasha growled and darted forward, catching a hold of Daigon before the healer could move. Pressing two claws right under Daigon’s chin Inuyasha snarled.

“Yeah? Well maybe I’ll show you what I do to people who try to kill me.” If the healer was worried he sure didn’t show it. God Inuyasha hated people who could do that.

Suddenly Inuyasha found himself being pulled away by none other then Sesshomaru himself.

“Cease Inuyasha. I know you are upset and you have every right to be, but I swear to you, on Father, on my Mother’s soul, that what we did we did to save you.” Sesshomaru stated.

Inuyasha took pleasure in the pain in Sesshomaru’s voice, he hoped it hurt as much as his own did.

“How the hell do you help someone by fucking punching them in the heart?” Inuyasha growled and tried to pull his arm away.

“I’m not a healer, you want the technical explanation? Ask him.” Sesshomaru said, nodding at Daigon. “All I know is that it worked, and you are safe. Now please calm down.”

“Listen you-”

“-If I wanted to kill you Inuyasha, then why are you alive? Even if I needed you it makes no sense to kill you then revive you.”

That was true, but Sesshomaru had done all kinds of shit that made no sense in the past. Inuyasha tried to pull away again, but Sesshomaru was having none of it, and the hanyou soon found himself being pulled closer, until they were pressed together.

“Sesshomaru.” Inuyasha growled warningly.

“What will it take to make you believe me Inuyasha?” Sesshomaru whispered in his ear. “I had no choice, I did not want to do it, but I had to. To save you I had to.”
Inuyasha sighed and closed his eyes, he didn’t know what to do and Sesshomaru had scared the shit out of him with that stunt.

“Just let me go okay?” Inuyasha muttered. “I really don’t want to be touched right now.”

Slowly Sesshomaru released him, and Inuyasha took a few steps away from his elder brother. He was going to have to think about this….

Everyone was staring at him and that pissed him off, but he resisted the urge to snap at them because his brain reminded him of one fact.

He had only come this way once, a long time ago, he’d gone through the valley, nearly drown, stopped at the town for help and ended up on the tree, he had crawled away after that.

But the thing that had haunted him the most, number three on the list of unbelievable events in a row that made him avoid this area at all costs came just a week later

A familiar scent that had haunted his nightmares reached Inuyasha’s nose, and he raised his eyes slowly. But he knew what tree line would stand before him before he even saw it. It was only fifty feet away…and a chill ran up his spine.

The bog.

The fucking bog.

Turning towards Sesshomaru Inuyasha asked.

“What are we doing here?”

“We are near our destination, but we are about to bed down for the night, it is getting very late. We should arrive-”

Inuyasha wasn’t listening after that, he had already turned away and was briskly walking to the front of Retsu’s cart. Slipping in between the two horses Inuyasha grabbed the wooden connector and pulled, walking forward at the same time.

The horses obeyed, moving with Inuyasha, who twisted, making sure they were moving ahead, but away from what he knew to be a large area. Retsu cried out in surprise, tumbling back over the seat he had just stood up from and into the back of the cart.

“Inuyasha?” Sesshomaru exclaimed.

“Shut up and move.” Inuyasha ordered as he broke into a job. Inuyasha never took his eyes off the tree line as he continued, he didn’t see anything….but he wasn’t taking any chances. Not here.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sesshoma ru wasn’t sure what Inuyasha was doing or why he was moving so fast. But something had the hanyou spooked, his scent showed that loud and clear, but what? If Sesshomaru didn’t know better he’d think Inuyasha was genuinely frightened.

Sesshomaru followed Inuyasha’s line of sight, but he didn’t see anything and all he smelled was the stagnant scent of a swampy area.

“I don’t think he’s seeing anything.” Sess-youkai said. “Looks to me like he’s on the lookout for something.

Made sense and Inuyasha was moving them away, but away from what? Sesshomaru truly hated being left out of the loop, he was the Lord of the West for gods sake…he was SUPPOSED to know what was going on at all times.

With a few kicks of his powerful legs Sesshomaru caught up to his little brother.

“What is wrong?” He asked. Inuyasha didn’t even look at him.

“Quiet.” The boy scolded. “Just keep moving.”

Sesshomaru was really getting tired of being told to shut up. REALLY tired.

“Why? What is going on?” Sesshomaru shot back. Armor clanking rung through the air, it was about the sixth time someone had tripped since the start of Inuyasha’s semi dash.

“Apologies milord…but not all of us have as advanced night vision as some of you.” Po complained.

“Inuyasha…would you please answer the question.” Sesshomaru grumbled.

‘I will…later. Just walk.” Inuyasha countered. Sesshomaru was starting to become rather frustrated. What was so hard about just TELLING him? Why did they have to play such games?

Sesshomaru had to wonder…was this all due to Inuyasha’s attack? Was the hanyou’s brain misfiring?

Clouds had rolled in, completely covering the sky, it was pitch black, they didn’t even have moonlight.

Sesshomaru was all for making good time, but even he was having trouble seeing where they were going and if he couldn’t see then he knew Inuyasha couldn’t either.

For that matter Inuyasha was only glancing ahead occasionally, the boy was pretty much keeping an eye to their right.

“Inuyasha-” Sesshomaru started to say but Inuyasha cut him off.

“The trees up head alright! We’ll stop there so stop bitching for fucks sake. Gods your such a whiny kid.” Inuyasha snarled, sounding genuinely annoyed and angry.

Oh…HE was the child now?

How rich.

True to his word Inuyasha did stop as he said he would, somewhat reluctantly Sesshomaru noted, pulling in the horses and away from whatever he was looking at. One of the trees was tall and strong, very healthy looking, the other was dead and dry, strangely it was the dead tree Inuyasha seemed to be examining.

“So who here sees the best in the dark?” Inuyasha asked.

“That would be me Lord Inuyasha.’ Preve said, stepping forward. “Why?”

“I want you to go and find wood, lots of it, bring someone to help if you need it. But DON’T go that way.” Inuyasha explained, pointing in the direction he had been looking the entire time.

“For what purpose little brother?” Sesshomaru asked. This was all very strange.

“I want a fire, a big one, not just a little camp fire.”

“What? Why?” Sesshomaru was really beginning to worry that Inuyasha’s mind had been damaged a bit. “For what purpose I ask again.”

“To sing songs and tell ghost stories of course.” Inuyasha snapped sarcastically. “Just do it. Or do I have to?”

Preve looked at Sesshomaru, who nodded. He was willing to humor the hanyou a bit, besides…Inuyasha wasn’t angry at him this time and Sesshomaru aimed to keep it that way.

Preve set to his task, with Atrius and another with him.

“I wonder why one is dead and not the other.” Wasil muttered.

“Because the other one killed it.” Inuyasha scoffed as he drew Tetsusaiga and felled the dead tree in one shot. “Anybody have a axe?”

“I…I have a set actually.” Tren said. Inuyasha half smiled.

“Good…then you two are in charge of cutting this up.”

Alir and Tren looked at each other and shrugged before setting to their own task.

A while later Sesshomaru found himself looking at the huge pile of wood Inuyasha had had them collect and create, and the large bonfire the hanyou himself had started. Sesshomaru wasn’t sure what idea he liked less, that Inuyasha might have a damaged brain that was making him erratic, or that there was truly something to worry about.

“And how long is this fire going to burn?” Sesshomaru asked, it was a little cool but not nearly enough to warrant a fire, especially one so large. They were going to be rather hot when they tried to sleep, and the fact that Inuyasha insisted that they stay behind it and not to far from it didn’t help.

“Until daylight.” The hanyou answered.

“Someone will have to watch it then.” Sesshomaru stated, adding extra emphasis on someone.

“Yep.” Inuyasha grunted as he leaped up into the remaining tree. “Not to much of a problem considering that I want someone on watch all night.”

There was al ow, but collective groan throughout the men. Sesshomaru could sympathize, they had not been able to get a restful nights sleep since they started.

“I can not condone that without knowing why. I have kept my reservations of your actions to myself so far, but without a reason I can not have them stay awake and alert all night….they do deserve rest too Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru began.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll do it myself.” Inuyasha interrupted.

“All night?”

“Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last.”
Sesshomaru didn’t like that, Inuyasha needed to rest as well. Even if the boy had been asleep from Daigon’s little concoction Sesshomaru doubted that was enough.

More to the point Sesshomaru wanted to sleep with his baby brother again. He wanted to curl up around Inuyasha and nest once more.

“Why will you not just tell me? What is over there that has you so concerned?” Sesshomaru asked.

“The bog.” Inuyasha answered softly.

“…You are joking?” Sesshomaru muttered. A nasty swamp? Putrid yes, but dangerous? They weren’t tromping through it after all.

“You know…” Wasil said as he walked past the fire. “Someone in the last village told me about at bog that was supposed to be up ahead…said-”

“-Let me guess….they said there was a great treasure or some legendary weapon in the center.” Inuyasha scoffed. “Yeah…that is the myth but don’t even think about it.”

“Why not?” Wasil asked. “Its just a place to explore.”

Kitsune curiosity coming out. The new and unknown always got to them. Sesshomaru figured that was why so many kits became explorers and such.

“We don’t go in the bog at night.” Inuyasha said firmly. “Fuck…I won’t go in there in the day, but especially not at night.”
Wasil scratched his head.

“Yeah…I suppose you could get stuck, slip and drown or something. But a torch would fix a lot of that…just be careful is all.”

Inuyasha growled.

“Its not the bog you gotta worry about…it’s the shit in it. Stay. Here.”

“I’m not afraid-”
Inuyasha jumped down, landing near the kitsune and caught Wasil by the scruff of his neck and dragged him back to the tree, before slamming him back first into it. Inuyasha leaned his face in close to Wasil’s.

“You’re a guard. Obey.” The hanyou growled. “But if that’s not enough for you, let me tell you that there is a reason why so many horror stories occur in swamps and bogs. I’m dead serious. You go in there…and you aint coming out.”

Everyone stiffened at Inuyasha’s warning.

“Whatever you say Lord Inuyasha.” Wasil said.

The hanyou released the guard and launched himself back up into the tree. Sesshomaru looked up at his little brother as Preve began to sort out the watch detail.

“What?” The boy snapped.

“I was hoping…that we might….” Sesshomaru trailed off.

“You can come up here…but I’m not coming down there.” Inuyasha grunted.

In the branches of the tree they would be lucky if their shoulders even touched, there would be no chance of close contact, unless one of them sat in the other’s lap. Sesshomaru had the feeling that Inuyasha would never allow that but…it was better then nothing.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sessh omaru had managed to fall into a fairly peaceful sleep, after a short while even the flicker light from the fire ceased to bother him. The soft pops and snaps of the wood burning was somewhat lulling, as was the rhythmic breathing from the hanyou at his side.

Whether it was from the remainder of Daigon’s potion or the accumulative effect of lack of rest Inuyasha had slipped into sleep much easier and sooner then Sesshomaru would have guessed.

But all that was shattered when a terrified scream ripped through the air. Inuyasha’s eyes hot open and he clutched his Fang. Sesshomaru went still, focusing his ears as the sleeping guards rose under them. He swore he could hear the sounds of a struggle faintly, followed by a rapid limping, sloshing sounding footsteps. Whatever it was had to be quite a ways away, he couldn’t even tell if it was real or just his mind playing tricks on him.

“Gods…we have got to stop getting woke up like this.” Alir complained, rubbing his eyes.

“Ko. Po. Status?” Preve asked the twins, who were currently on watch.

“I’m not sure, I haven’t seen anything. You?” Ko replied.

“Thought I heard something moving through the grass about an hour ago, but other then that…no.” Po stated.

“Wasil? Where’s Wasil?” Atrius suddenly asked.

A quick look showed the other kitsune was no where to be found.

“He’s gone.” Tren said. Then a much more audible cry for help rang out.

“That stupid fucking moron…” Inuyasha growled as he jumped down. Sesshomaru followed as the cry reached them again, desperate and panicked.

Atrius tried to rush forward to help as the cry turned muffled and wet, as if it was coming through water, but Inuyasha tripped the fox and held him down with the same foot.

“We have to do something!” Atrius shouted.

“He’s dead.” Inuyasha said simply.

Sesshomaru’s ears could pick up muffled groaning and gurgling, along with the most disturbing….pumping gulping sound he had ever heard.

“You might find some of his armor…maybe.” Inuyasha said and then shivered slightly. “You know what the really fucking suck ass thing is? Your alive when they start to eat you.”

“What are….they?” Tren asked curiously as Inuyasha let Atrius up, and shoved the fox back.

“Dunno…I call them bog men. Kinda shaped like us, brains of an animal…and afraid of fire.” Inuyasha explained. “They got this…flesh blanket thing under their arms…and they wrap it around you….then you melt.”

All was quiet after that bizarre statement, and that made Sesshomaru a little uneasy, the expression -too quiet- came to mind. The guards themselves seemed a little antsy but were profession enough to still be highly alert.

“Hey archer guy….Preve right?” Inuyasha asked softly.

“Yes sir?”

“Still have any of those…flaming arrow things?”

“Yes Milord.”

“Get them ready to shoot if I tell you.”

As Preve began to go through hi tools Inuyasha continued to scan the area. Sesshomaru kept an eye out as well, but he wasn’t sure what he was looking for, movement he supposed.

“Are you expecting to be attacked?” Sesshomaru asked, coming to stand behind Inuyasha’s shoulder.

“It’s possible, but if we are real lucky they haven’t realized we’re here.” Inuyasha answered.

“Our fire is rather visible.” Sesshomaru pointed out.

“I know….and they’ll avoid it like the plague.”

Made sense he supposed, but he felt…rather open at this position. Normally he might have ordered hem to be on the move, though he loathed to leave Wasil to an unknown fate, even if Inuyasha was sure there was still a chance.

But Inuyasha seemed to have a plan, or at the very least more information then Sesshomaru had, so he would allow the boy to lead for now.

Seeing no reason why he should not be in a position to aid Sesshomaru was about to ask just what the hanyou was on the look out for when the hanyou growled.

“There you are….” Inuyasha muttered under his breath.

“Where what is?” Sesshomaru asked, trying to follow Inuyasha’s line of sight. Inuyasha pointed to something in the distance.

“See em?”

Focusing his eyes in the dark Sesshomaru saw nothing and was about to say so when two piss yellow orbs low to the ground caught his attention. Whatever it was, was trying to creep up on them…

“Preve.” Sesshomaru said firmly. In a second the senior guard was at his side, bow ready.

“Sir?”

Sesshomaru pointed towards the slinking orbs.

“That is your target.” Sesshomaru said.

“Get it right between them if you can.” Inuyasha added.

The archer nodded and Atrius stepped in, driving a torch into the ground in front of Preve. The archer ignited the tip of his arrow and drew it back. Taking aim Preve let it fly and Sesshomaru was impressed, in the dark, from several hundred yards away, the guard still hit his target.

The thing screamed, which sounded more like thick, wet moans, and rolled around on the ground before going still, the yellow fading.

“You pretty much want to do the same to any others you see.” Inuyasha said as he turned and walked back behind the fire, Sesshomaru following him. “Shouldn’t take them to long to get the hint I hope.”
Preve let loose another arrow as Inuyasha leaned up against the tree and threw another log onto the fire.

“No sleep tonight…..stupid fucking moron.” Inuyasha muttered. “I told him. I told him.”

Curiosity killed the kit it seemed.

“Its not your fault.” Sesshomaru said gently. “He may be alright…perhaps in the morning we can search for him.” Sesshomaru said gently, patting Inuyasha on the shoulder.

Preve launched another three arrows in rapid succession and Inuyasha’s eyes flicked towards him. Preve fired again, and again.

“Shouldn’t be that many.” Inuyasha breathed as he rushed back to the archers side. Sesshomaru quickly followed, feeling slightly foolish for jumping back and forth.

“Fuck.” Inuyasha grunted.

The hanyou’s choice of words fit perfectly for Sesshomaru could see dozens of the creeping orbs slowly making their way towards them. Preve’s aim was true but there were far to many for him to be able to handle alone.

“Anyone else have a bow or something?” Inuyasha asked a second before Sesshomaru could.

“Wasil had a crossbow.” Atrius said regretfully.

“Well that’s just great….” Inuyasha huffed.
Sesshomaru began to think, without knowing their numbers it was difficult to work out a viable plan. He certainly was not going to order any charges, but they could form a wall, cutting down those who reached them while Preve continued his long range assault.

“Arrows?” Sesshomaru questions.

“Plenty.” Preve answered, understanding Sesshomaru’s meaning.

“How well do these things handle close quarters combat.” Sesshomaru asked Inuyasha. The hanyou shook his head.

“Dunno…”

Sesshomaru nodded, not pleased, but then again he had a feeling this was a situation Inuyasha had come across young, and then had probably fled.

“We may have no choice but to find out.”
Glancing behind him Sesshomaru saw that Daigon and Retsu had secured themselves up in the tree Inuyasha had inhabited. Good, that was where he wanted them.

Sesshomaru drew his sword, preparing to give his orders when something jerked Inuyasha’s feet out from under him, the hanyou cried out as something began to rapidly pull him away.

“Inuyasha!” Sesshomaru roared. He felt something curl around hi ankle and he reacted, swinging his sword down. Whatever it was severed with a wet pop.

Sesshomaru wanted to hurry after Inuyasha, but that course of action was blocked as some nightmarish creature hurled itself at him, its disgusting arms, just like Inuyasha had described, wide open.

Sesshomaru struck it down, splitting what he thought was its head in half. He heard Po cry out and had just enough time to shout. “To arms!” before he had to slash at another.

And then the creatures fell upon them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

FUCK!

Inuyasha put his arms up to protect his face from the thorns and brush as he was pulled across the field, rocks and other lumps of earth battering his lower back. Which of course was just the right spot to send hot jolts of raw pain shooting through him.

He heard Sesshomaru call his name, but it sounded somewhat distant. Not that he had time to worry about it. Inuyasha stiffened his left leg as his foot collided with a stone jutting out of the ground. It held and he was able to use it to stop his painful ride across the bumpy ground for a moment.

Drawing Tetsusaiga Inuyasha quickly slashed at the thing around hi foot. It worked and he jumped to his feet, jabbing his Fang between the eyes of one of the slime balls before he had even finished rising.
All around him he heard the wet gurgling of the bastards, but he couldn’t get his bearings, it was dark and his head was still kinda fuzzy. He couldn’t tell where the others were, he could try jumping but that could always land him in even worse trouble then he was.

But he wasn’t left with anytime to think about it as two more of them appeared, big blobby dark shapes that stunk of rot and worse.

Inuyasha swung Tetsusaiga hard, slicing the first in half, he didn’t have time to bring the sword back so he pushed off with his legs. He just barely made it over the thing, and he dug his claws in under its chin, using his momentum to aid him as he pulled it over his shoulder, throwing it into the darkness with all his might.

He couldn’t see the light from the fire anywhere, so either it had gone out or he just wasn’t looking in the right direction…or he was to far away.

Another one of the bog men met its end from a vertical slash from his Tetsusaiga. The stench of its insides made his eyes water, the rotten scent of them was already everywhere, but this was worse. Then again their scent being so blanketing made it difficult to tell how many of them their were, maybe there were tons, or maybe the stench was just stuck in his nose.

Inuyasha thought he saw flickers of light to his left, there was always a chance that it really was not where he wanted to go, but he had to risk it. He couldn’t afford to be alone, not here, not now.

Moving carefully to avoid being caught off guard Inuyasha began to try and make hi way back to the others. With all the gurgling grunts and moans around him it was almost impossible not to break into a full on sprint, but the last thing he needed was to trip or run into one of them.

Why the fuck did they have to come this way anyway?!

Something screeched in front of him and rushed in on all fours, its limbs looked twisted and backwards.

Brains and other fluids splattered about as Inuyasha met it with a side swipe to the face. Unfortunately he didn’t see the small ditch in front of him….

His knee screamed in pain as it was jammed upward, all his weight coming down on it at the same time.

Inuyasha stumbled and just barely was able to get his hand up in time to keep from crashing into the ground. It was a momentary delay, but it was all the bog men stalking him needed.

Swinging Tetsusaiga wildly Inuyasha smashed one’s legs with the flat of the blade, not what he meant to do but he would take it. Rising up Inuyasha met the falling creatures face with the hardest uppercut he could throw.
Vile fluids sprayed into the air as the gasping thing sprawled backwards. But as soon as he finished with that one another one took its place. It leaped at him and he jumped to the side, beheading it with a single swipe.

It was then he realized that he had jumped right towards another, he couldn’t’ very well change direction in mid air and the thing was coming at him fast.

Time seemed to slow down as he tried to pull his Fang back, if he could get it up he might be able to push the thing away.

At the same time the thing opened its arms, and Inuyasha could see its slimy chest, covered with dozens of what looked like open sores, all weeping vile fluid and he knew just what that shit did.

He had a moment to realize that he wasn’t going to make it, he was going to end up in that disgusting, deadly embrace and all he could think of was that….out of all the ways he could die…this was about the last he would ever chose.

Seconds before it could reach him a long curved blade plunged into his neck and yanked it away.

As the blade slid from the now dead bog man’s neck Inuyasha figured out what it was.

A sickle blade.

What….was some psycho farmer who lived out here?

“Milord! DUCK!” A voice shouted.

Inuyasha didn’t argue, he obeyed and felt the air above his head shift right before he heard steel bit into flesh.

Inuyasha stood and he was able to get a better look at the weapon. It looked like a long two handed battle axe…only with a sickle blade instead. How odd.

He also got a better look at the owner.

Alir stood in front of him, his armor slightly battered.

There wasn’t time for pleasantries however, for they were soon set upon again.

Alir wielded his weapon more like a staff then an axe, spinning it over his wrists and shoulders as he chopped and slashed at their attackers. It was almost pretty to look at….

Together the two of them hacked their way through a wall of the creatures, the ground becoming slick with the spilled fluid and other chunks.

It was times like this Inuyasha really wished he wore boots. Gross…..ugh….

Tetsusaiga sung, cleaving another of the bastards in two. Before it could even hit the ground Inuyasha heard another one leap at him from behind. He didn’t have time to turn, jumping was his only option.

But before he could something rammed into him, knocking him out of the way.

Inuyasha turned his head just in time to see the bog man wrap its arms around Alir. The guard snarled, the thing didn’t have a good grip, Inuyasha knew they went after your upper body, especially your face. But Alir’s armor was giving the bog man problems.

Alir had one hand free and swung his giant sickle over his head, planting it into the creatures back, twisting it from side to side savagely. The bog man released him, crumbling to the ground. However Alir was still covered in its horrid fluid, Inuyasha could see that it was starting to eat through the leather straps that helped hold the armor together, it would not be long before it reached the guards flesh.

Suddenly slimy tendrils wrapped tightly around Alir’s waist, neck and ankles, the same things that had landed Inuyasha way out here in the first place. Now he remembered what those things were, the damn bog men’s tongues.

Inuyasha was about to rush in to help when Alir reached into his belt quickly and pulled out a dagger.

And threw it AT Inuyasha.

It missed by a few inches but drove into the face of the bog man that had been sneaking up behind him.

Straining against the creatures pulling him Alir grunted.

“Camps…behind you….run….GO!!”

And then he was gone, disappearing into the dark with a cry and startling speed.

Inuyasha looked behind him, he could clearly see the fire, he could also see five bog men between it and him. Smashing an approaching one’s skull in with the back of his Fang Inuyasha looked towards where Alir had been and growled.

“Damn it all to hell….”

He gripped his Tetsusaiga tighter and ran.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

With an upward thrust and twist through the skull Sesshomaru finished off the last of the creatures for the moment, they were disgusting, quick and sneaky, but they also appeared to be somewhat frail. One or two wounds put them down easily enough. He was about to speak with a scream rang out, before turning wet and muffled as Wasil’s had.

It was familiar but it was not Sesshomaru who identified it.

“Alir!? ALIR!!!” Tren screamed and tried to leave the circle of light from the fire. Preve literally tackled the demon to the ground and drug him back. “Let me go! That’s my brother! My mate!!!” Tren shrieked, the rage and terror in his voice hitting extreme levels even as he struggled with Preve. The older demon couldn’t hope to over power the young, especially not with the fear for his mate fueling him, but he had experience on his side, and was able to lock Tren in place for the moment.

“I am sorry, but he took an oath, same as you.” Preve said. “You are needed here, you have a job, do it.”

“This isn’t right…we aren’t supposed to lose two men….not in our own lands.” Atrius muttered.

“And Inuyasha is out there!!!” Sess-youkai screamed.

Sesshomaru could feel Tren’s pain, and not because his youkai had just screamed loud enough to shatter his brain, his own brother was out there as among those things as well.

Of course Tren had to go wherever Sesshomaru went, and he was going after Inuyasha. With any luck the two where alive and together.

“Take heart Tren….we are going after them.” Sesshomaru said.

“My Lord?” Preve gasped. “It is not safe.”

“My brother is out there, and so is Alir, both must be found.” Sesshomaru said sternly. He knew Preve was just doing his job…but damn it so was he. He was an elder brother and his little brother was a god damn big priority to him.

Preve released the mated brother, who slowly rose to his feet. Sesshomaru stared out into the blackness. Inuyasha had been pulled in that direction, and Alir had raced after him so…that was where they were going to start.

As if to mock him several of the creatures appeared, all shuffling towards them. And gods did they stink….

“We’ll have to go through them then.” Atrius grumbled, readying his blade.

“If they wish to live they had best fucking remove themselves from my fucking path.” Tren growled.

Sesshomaru could hear a whirling noise coming from Tren’s direction. A quick glance revealed it was Tren’s weapons.

Two tonfa spun in the guards hands, hardened oak reinforced with bands of steel. It was clear the man was preparing for a full on charge, just bludgeon his way through them, but that wasn’t part of Sesshomaru’s own plan.

“Hold Tren, they will come to us. Better to face them on our terms then to risk more by fighting them on theirs. We can not help anyone if we are defeated here.” Sesshomaru said.

Whether the guard accepted Sesshomaru’s logic or was simply being professional he remained.

It was not a long wait. The things soon dropped down onto all fours and charged.

The battle was quick and bloody.

Tren himself was like a whirlwind, smashing in skulls, chests. Crushing limbs and throats.

Preve hung back, his arrows drilling through the heads of the unengaged creatures.

Atrius impressed Sesshomaru slightly, he wielded hi sword one handed, slicing and jabbing, but also seemed to be able to use either hand with great skill. As in times of trouble instead of turning his body or even changing his footing he would simple toss his blade over to his other hand.

As soon as the last slimy body hit the ground Sesshomaru was turning to give out orders. They would need torches if they were going to leave the fires circle of illumination. He would leave Preve behind, both to guard Daigon and Retsu and to offer long range support as best he could.

But before he could even open his mouth, which seemed to be happening a lot today, he head a very familiar voice that made his heart soar.

“Get the FUCK out of my way!!”

WHAM!!

Sesshomaru could hear bones crunching and a body hitting the ground about fifteen seconds before Inuyasha burst into the light, carrying something slimy on his back. Steam or something rose off of the lump as Inuyasha tossed it to the ground.
Sesshomaru would have liked to embrace his baby brother in joy over the hanyou being alive and save but settled on listening to his logic, and youkai surprisingly, call to watch the boy’s back instead.

“Daigon!” Inuyasha barked as he reached into the goo, hissing as if it hurt and with a grunt pulled something apart and tossed it aside. A look showed it to be a steel breast plate, not an easy thing to shred to be sure.

The only thing that didn’t seem to be burning was the thing’s head, which was covered in some other kind of goop, preventing identification.

The healer joined Inuyasha quickly, trying to aid the hanyou in his task. Sesshomaru kept a vigilant eye on the black, determined to keep them from being surprised again. But he paid enough attention to what was going on to see that amidst the scattered burn spots on the thing’s chest and stomach, it was male it seemed, he could see a long mark twisting across it.

He couldn’t identify it but as with before someone else did.

“Alir!” Tren cried out, rushing to his writhing mate, but before he could reach him Daigon halted him in his tracks.

“Retsu’s cart. Two buckets of water. Bring them now!” The healer ordered.

Though obviously torn Tren obeyed, rushing over to the cart and after a shouted direction from the chef located them.

As Tren trotted his way back Daigon pulled two large balls out of his bag, from the smell it appeared to be some kind of substance wrapped up in a leaf. Before Tren could even set the buckets down Daigon tossed them, one into each bucket.

“Stir with your hands, should only take a minute to dissolve. Not sure if it will work for this…but its all this one has that might neutralize this gunk. Didn’t think he would have to deal with…digestive fluids.” Daigon grumbled.

Tren did as he was told, using one arm to steady himself and the other to stir the buckets, one at a time.

In the meanwhile Alir was clawing at the goo on his face, which appeared to be hardening. Unfortunately Alir wasn’t a type of demon who had claws.

What was worse was it sounded like he was choking on something.

“We have to get this stuff off.” Daigon growled. “We can-”

Before the healer could even finish the sentence Inuyasha stood, lifting Alir up by the back of his pants and neck. Without a word the hanyou dunked Alir’s head under the water repeatedly.

“Not what this one was going to suggest…but whatever works.” Daigon said.

Without even putting the guard down Inuyasha used his claws to quickly peel the goo, now softened slightly its seemed off of Alir’s mouth. The moment it came off Alir’s jaw slammed shut, though Sesshomaru had no idea why he would have had his mouth open, and Inuyasha cursed as the guard let out a frightened muffled squeal and began to weakly paw at his throat.

Sesshomaru could see that Alir’s throat was swollen, bulging slightly.

“You have to put him down so we can wash him.” Daigon said.

“Not the issue right now.” Inuyasha snapped, letting go of half of Alir, forcing the guard to stand.

For some reason Inuyasha’s left hand clenched around Alir’s throat extremely tightly, the guard gagged but instead of trying to pry the hanyou’s hand off, he gripped at Inuyasha’s shoulders instead, as if…trying to hold himself up.

“Your choking him!!” Tren roared. “Let go!”
Tren rose, fully intend on defending his mate.

“Shut up! He can’t breath anyway! I’m trying to help dip-shit!” Inuyasha shouted back.
Daigon looked just as confused as the rest of them, did Inuyasha know something they didn’t?

“Clearly…” Sesshomaru said to himself.

Holding Alir by the throat Inuyasha pried his mouth open and amazingly…stuck his hand inside.

“Fuck! To are in…can’t…fucking reach it.” Inuyasha growled as Alir began to kick his feet, on hand leaving Inuyasha’s shoulders and punching weakly at his belly area. Though from the way he was moving it seemed like the guard was about to pass out.

A wet groan left Alir’s mouth as Inuyasha started to push his hand deeper, forcing Alir’s jaw to open unnaturally wide.

“You’ll dislocate or break his jaw.” Daigon warned. Inuyasha ignored him and there was a popping sound heard as the hanyou forced his whole hand into Alir’s gasping mouth.

That had to hurt….

“Got ya!” Inuyasha snarled triumphantly. Alir groaned pitifully and Sesshomaru was sure Tren would have attacked had the hanyou not started to withdraw his hand.

But after a few moments Sesshomaru realized Inuyasha was not simply pulling his hand back, he was pulling on something.

A second after Inuyasha’s hand cleared Alir’s teeth, Sesshomaru saw what the hanyou was pulling on.

A wriggling white worm.

Its fat body glistened in the firelight, Inuyasha’s claws sinking deeper into its body as it resisted him.

Daigon jumped in immediately, slipping behind Alir and holding his the guards head steady. A few guards gasped in revulsion as Inuyasha pulled more out, until with a loud, wet, vomiting retch from Alir, it came free.

And it screamed.

High pitched and shrill.

Alir fell to his knee’s as Inuyasha released him, coughing and sputtering before he simply emptied the contents of his belly on the ground.

Inuyasha sneered in disgusted as he threw the worm into the fire. Its burning body twisted and turned furiously until it burned to nothing.

Picking up one of the buckets Daigon dumped its contents onto the fallen, and still steaming, guard. Tren followed suit with the other and together the two of them used their hands to scrub and peel all of the caustic fluid off of Alir.

Once they had finished the damage could clearly be seen, burn splotches littered the guards body. His armor had probably saved him from further harm but regardless it looked nasty. Sesshomaru really wanted to get them out of this twisted place. But the idea of trudging through the dark with more of the creatures possibly lying in wait was highly unappealing. Besides for all he knew it was not safe to try and move Alir. There didn’t seem to be much they could do except wait until daylight.

Inuyasha cracked his neck loudly, walking to the edge of the light circle, right were Sesshomaru didn’t want him, as Atrius and another guard used more logs to increase the size of the blaze.

“Alright…I know you’re here. There wouldn’t be this many and they wouldn’t’ bet his brave if your big fucking ass wasn’t around.” Inuyasha shouted into the darkness.

Sesshomaru wasn’t sure who Inuyasha was talking to, and from the sound of it didn’t think he wanted to know. As the ground in front of them began to rumble and swell he had to wonder if Inuyasha had ever actually heard of keeping his mouth shut.

Seriously….didn’t they have enough trouble already without Inuyasha troubling god knows what? They had just been attacked, one of them was missing, another injured, who Daigon was forcing to drink something for unknown purposes and now…now what?!

Inuyasha drew Tetsusaiga as the ground exploded outwards….

And another one of those white worms rose out….only gigantic in size.

Lovely….and Sesshomaru had thought the other creatures stunk...but this? Good gods he felt like he was about to swoon.

Huge slimy teeth sat in a round mouth, a mouth that spewed some noxious fluid as the thing screamed and dove towards them.

Inuyasha shouted and charged, slicing a huge gash into the worm’s putrid flesh as it past him. Sesshomaru leaped to the side as the worm crashed into the ground. If its wound bothered it, it was hiding it well.

Much to Sesshomaru’s displeasure the worm turn to face him, and began to wiggle towards him, mouth open, at great speed.

Despite this Sesshomaru easily dodged it, opening another bloody wound on the worms side with his own sword. The worm swung around, it was quick but hardly agile and several arrows sunk into its body as it rose up.

The ground shook as it slammed back down, and Sesshomaru wondered just what it was up to. Was it trying to throw them off balance…or just stupid?

It surged forward again and Inuyasha suddenly rushed past Sesshomaru, leaping up the hanyou landed on top of the worm and drove his Fang straight down into what Sesshomaru assumed was its head.

Before Sesshomaru could even shout a warning the worm rolled, crushing Inuyasha between it and the ground.

“That had to hurt….” Sess-youkai groaned.
Sesshomaru rushed forward, but a dazed Inuyasha was already starting to stand, sword still in hand.

“How are we doing to deal with this thing?” Sess-youkai wondered.

It was a good question, Sesshomaru was hesitant to use his larger attacks, especially with Inuyasha and other guards so close. Besides…if he blew it to pieces who knew what might come out.

He had to assume that was why Inuyasha had not attempted the Wind Scar…that or the hanyou just hadn’t thought of it yet. Given the hanyou’s poor choice of tactic’s thus far Sesshomaru was inclined to believe the latter.

His poison was an option, but given its size and how thick the fat under its disgusting skin he wasn’t sure if he could deliver enough to truly affect it in one blow. His poison did dissolve yes….but it did its best work once it made its way into a creatures blood stream.

This could take a while….

As if just wanting to spite him the worm rose up once more, and then dove head first into the earth, quickly burrowing beneath it. The ground rumbled slightly, the sounds of it pushing through the soil reaching Sesshomaru’s ears.

Then everything went still and silent.

Shaking hi head Inuyasha looked around, gripping his Fang in both hands.

Had it given up? Or was it just going for an attack from below….or was it trying to buy time. How the hell was he supposed to know what a giant worm was thinking….

Sesshomaru looked over to the gathered guard and held up his hand, which was a pain to do and hold his own blade at the same time, giving them the signal to hold.
Had he mentioned he really was missing his arm these days?

They didn’t need everyone clustered up out here and there were people who needed guard near the fire.

For several minutes all was peaceful, even the creatures, the bog men as Inuyasha had called them, seemed to have fled.

“Or are they simply hiding in wait?” Sesshomaru thought.

Still all remained quiet, though he couldn’t hear any wildlife, but somehow he doubted anything lived here other then those foul creatures. The only sounds were coming from them and the crackling of the fire.
Sesshomaru was about to sheath his weapon when a rumbling could be heard, Inuyasha looked sideways at the ground under him right before it exploded up.

The hanyou cried out as he went flying, losing his grip on Tetsusaiga as he sailed through the air.

Inuyasha landed with a loud thud, crashing down with all his weight on the back of his head. The rough landing undoubtedly dazed the hanyou, which was proving to be a problem as the worm, and its huge gaping mouth were heading right for him.

Out of the corner of his eye Sesshomaru caught two of the bog creatures leaping at him, but to his mild surprise both were quickly turned into quivering charred lumps by a huge fireball out of nowhere. Sesshomaru glanced to his side, already starting to move to aid Inuyasha, and found Atrius hurling another one at the worm itself.
Handy little kit.

Though he could have done that a lot earlier…..


Inuyasha was starting to stand, but obviously didn’t realize the danger baring down on him. Sesshomaru didn’t have time to pick the half risen half-breed up and carry him away. He could always just kick the boy out of the worms path, but that would leave him in from of that mouth without aid so….

Sesshomaru got his arm up, bracing himself with all his might as the worm slammed into him.

It was the might of the great white worm verse the might of the great Lord Sesshomaru.

Sesshomaru won out, the worms charge halted as if it had crashed into a wall, its body curling up and then splatting down onto the ground.

Sesshomaru intended to try and hold it in place, which would much easier with two arms and order everyone to attack.

“Stop whining about the damn arm…I want it too but we don’t have it anymore so shush it!”

“Never shush me you blasted thing…
” Sesshomaru thought.

Surely all of them combined could kill it quickly thought.

The worm squirmed, trying to push forward to swallow him. But Sesshomaru held his ground, and he opened his mouth to give the order but a shout from Inuyasha cut him off.

The hanyou dove it, driving both hands into the worms underbelly.

At first the worm seemed to shrug off the injury as it had the others, but suddenly it screamed, different from how it had before, shrill and…pained.

It wrenched away, thrashing hysterically. Trees were knocked over like knick-knacks on a table as it beat itself against them, against the ground and even against itself.

Then it began to roll, screeching the entire time.

Finally it reared up weakly and drove back into the ground, burrowing away.

Sesshomaru glanced at the hanyou, who was making his way towards Tetsusaiga.

What had happened?

Had Inuyasha managed to hit something vital? An organ or nerve cluster or…something?

Sesshomaru caught a new scent…one he wasn’t able to classify….but he remembered faintly smelling it on the bodies of the bandits that had attacked Inuyasha. Filing it away for now Sesshomaru sheathed his sword.

The sun was beginning to rise and a sense of relief washed over Sesshomaru, but he forced it away. No one had said the assault would cease when the sun came up.

The Lord of the West turned back towards the swamp and he could faintly make out figures slinking back into the evil looking trees.

“They don’t like the sunlight.” Inuyasha said as he walked past Sesshomaru, heading towards the group.

Good to know.

Sesshomaru followed his little brother back. Daigon was still fussing over Alir, Retsu was still up in the tree and everyone else just looked tense.

“We ready to move?” Inuyasha asked.

“Been ready…” Atrius grumbled. It was only then that Sesshomaru noticed the fox guard was holding a corroded, battered looking sword in addition to his own blade. Atrius looked at Sesshomaru, then at the sword.

“It was Wasil’s….I found it stuck in one of those things.” The kitsune said.

That was right…in all the chaos Sesshomaru had nearly forgotten. They had been victorious….but had lost one. “I always thought he was an arrogant pain in the ass. “Atrius stated mournfully. “But he didn’t deserve that….”

“I told him…” Inuyasha muttered.

“No one is blaming you.” Sesshomaru said. The hanyou’s shoulders were sagging slightly, and Sesshomaru had a feeling there was at least one person who was blaming Inuyasha…the hanyou himself. After the debacle in the gulley it did make Sesshomaru a little proud of his baby brother to see that the boy did care.

For a moment everyone was silent, perhaps out of respect, perhaps in condemnation of the foolishness that had endangered tem all.

“He won’t be forgotten, even if he disobeyed he showed courage just volunteering for the post.” Preve said as he took the blade from Atrius, wrapping it in a cloth and then stowing it away.

“We move, get ready.” Sesshomaru said.

Retsu hopped down from the tree, and the preparations began.

Sesshomaru would make sure to mark this horrid place on the map, perhaps a nice high encircling wall was in order….

Things were quickly wrapped up and soon all they were waiting on was Daigon’s word on whether Alir could move or needed to be moved.

“He’s clear.” The healer said as he patted Alir, who was being cradled by Tren, on the shoulder. Inuyasha looked over at the mated pair.

“Thank you…” Tren said sincerely. Inuyasha shrugged and began to walk away.

“I told you to run…” Alir suddenly said, his voice rough. Inuyasha paused for a moment and looked back over his shoulder.

“I did….I just went the wrong way.” Inuyasha said. “Now we’re even.”

Then the hanyou was walking away.

“That’s not-” Alir started as Tren helped him up, securing his weapon on his mate’s back.

“Just shut up, be beautiful and alive.” Tren chided lovingly. Alir huffed but looked a bit shaken, not that Sesshomaru blamed him.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It only took a few short hours and they had finally reached their destination. Sesshomaru had never been so thrilled to see the Castle of the Gathering in his entire life….

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I nuyasha’s back hurt, his head hurt, and it was going to take weeks to get that shit out of his dreams….if he even had weeks.

He didn’t want to know that those things put that gunk on your face with an egg in it after they melted you enough so you couldn’t move. He didn’t want to know that the egg held one of the worms that would grow into a big worm in it. He didn’t want to know that it would force its way down your throat and into your belly. He didn’t want to know that it would grow until it ate its way out.

He didn’t want to know any of that, but he did, he had seen it himself. And he really didn’t want anyone, especially not Alir, to ask him what it had all been about.

But what he REALLY didn’t want to know was how fucked he was.

Because he was fucked, really….really fucked.

He was dieing…he was sure of it now. Now that he had time to think, really think about it…and he wished he didn’t.

The heart attack was only the start. Something else was coming…and it was right on top of him.
He was scared….absolutely terrified. He wanted to scream and cry and curse…wanted to make it not true….but it was…he didn’t need to ask Daigon or Sesshomaru anything. He knew what was happening…knew it more then either of them could.

He wanted to just jump on Sesshomaru, hide in his arms and beg his older brother to make it not true.

But true or not…he had people counting on him…he couldn’t get weak now.

“Maybe a week….maybe a bit more….tick tock Inuyasha.” Something inside him taunted.

He was scared…but he didn’t have time, didn’t have the luxury to be scared.

“Lets get this shit over with.” Inuyasha muttered they approached the front gate. “Lets get this shit over with….”

To be continued.

Annnnnnd we're done! Good grief the turned out to be longer then I had though.

Soo....anyone see any of this coming? :

I wanted to have the bog scene be very....horrific. I didnt want the action to seem like you could ever really know what was going on. I wanted it to be in snippets, like you could kinda see...but kinda not. I hope you just let your imagination run wild there hehe.

And yes, poor Wasil is dead. Born to die as I say, created just for that end. I wonder if he had any fans..

Anyway if anyone was wondering why this took so long…its because it ended up BEING so long. Remember this was SUPPOSED to be part of the last chapter….but it just kept growing….108 MS word pages.

Ugh….and man my hands hurt….

So…enjoy! And see you next time!