InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ It's my Life ❯ History lesson ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: Ok, now obviously I don’t own this, any original characters that pop up, yeah those are mine. But everyone else, those are all owned by Rumiko Takahashi. Which in case you didn’t know, isn’t me. I make no money off of this.

Warning: There be dialogue out the ass up ahead.


Sesshomaru rubbed at his eyes as he watched various servants scurry about, preparing for their departure. He hadn’t been able to get much sleep, not a glaring problem considering he could go a full two weeks without sleep before he became seriously impaired.

But then again just because he could do it did not mean he wanted to.

The night had been much more draining then a simple night without sleep, and after going through it very few things sounded as good as a soft bed.

Things hadn’t exactly gone well on the Inuyasha front at all. Admittedly the hanyou suddenly becoming human had startled him more then a little….out of all the things that could have happened to the boy….that was not one that had even remotely entered his mind.

Sesshomaru wasn’t sure how he possibly could have predicted it, but after Inuyasha’s sudden, painful looking shift back he found himself feeling a little upset with himself that he had not been able to do anything to aid his sibling.

It had shaken the hanyou badly was well, and that also bothered Sesshomaru. To his understanding it normally lasted until morning, so he was unsure as to why Inuyasha would be upset from returning to his turn form after only a few minutes. But after a little thought it did make sense. The clockwork transformation had been a constant in Inuyasha’s life, something that always happened….as sure as the sun would rise and fall, Inuyasha would change.

Yet now, completely out of the blue, something different had happened. So it did make sense, he would probably be just as rattled as the hanyou if he could not shift into his true form, or back, for some unknown reason.

With his sibling in such a shaken state of panic and fear Sesshomaru hadn’t trusted Inuyasha’s shaky legs to support him so he had carried the hanyou back to their room. What bothered him is how Inuyasha had not even reacted to his actions. Normally the boy would say something, a protest or squirm at least….but this time…nothing.

Sesshomaru hadn’t had time to dwell on that oddly disturbing change as not three minutes after they had returned, and five minutes since Inuyasha had reverted back to a hanyou, the boy’s body had locked up and gone into somewhat violent spasms. The worst being his back, which had seized up so badly that Inuyasha had been unable to even move without their being obvious, excruciating pain.

Inuyasha had clung to him then, pressing his face into Sesshomaru’s chest tightly. Inuyasha had groaned, whimpered, and down right screamed into Sesshomaru’s flesh, something that drove daggers straight into the elder Inu’s heart.

There had been almost nothing that he could do as he watched Inuyasha’s muscles ripple and twist under his skin. Not even his touch along the mark on Inuyasha’s chest had worked this time….it had done a little to relieve the tension in his limbs and neck yes, but nothing at all for Inuyasha’s back.

Sesshomaru had though perhaps a real massage might help, but the second his fingers pressed into Inuyasha’s flesh the boy practically shrieked, scaring Sesshomaru horribly and bringing an end to that idea.

Daigon had been called, but even the venerable healer had been at a loss.

The worst came for Sesshomaru when Daigon informed him that the spasms were actually ripping the old scars in Inuyasha’s back, not to mention tearing a few new ones not only there but at various other points of his body. It drove Sesshomaru crazy that his siblings body was basically tearing itself apart from within and there had seemed to be nothing he could do to stop it.

Inuyasha himself had barely been lucid, he had been able to hear yes, but almost every attempt at communication had been either interrupted or shut down completely. The hanyou had just been in too much pain to really be able to form a complete sentence…he had bitten down on one of the wooden headboard beams so hard he broke it in half.

With the muscles in his back apparently ripping like paper Sesshomaru really couldn’t blame him for it, he himself had been filled with equal parts rage and helplessness as all he could do was cradle the boy as Inuyasha whimpered and sobbed. Had he not had his limbs otherwise engaged…he probably would have broken more then a support beam.

In the end Daigon had been forced to flood Inuyasha’s system with a massive amount of some sedative/painkiller mixture just so the hanyou could sleep. However even after Inuyasha had finally gone under sleep had eluded Sesshomaru.

Not that he wanted to remain awake all night long, but every time Inuyasha would let out a noise in his own drug induced slumber Sesshomaru would wake up.

As it stood Inuyasha was still sleeping, which concerned Sesshomaru a little bit. The hanyou had remained mostly unresponsive to any attempt to wake him, and Sesshomaru couldn’t help but wonder why. Was it because of the high dosage Daigon had been forced to administer? Or something else all together?

Sesshomaru wasn’t sure which option bothered him more.

But even though he had some concerns about Daigon’s treatment, he had left the healer to watch over his sibling while he himself prepared for their departure. It killed him not to be there, but he did have to admit that Daigon could handle whatever health concerns that might come up far better then he himself could.

On the plus side their way home would be clear, they could actually stick to the road this time, which would also shorten the trip considerably. A day, maybe a day and a half at the most.

That pleased Sesshomaru, the sooner Inuyasha was safe inside their home the better. If he had been inconvenienced by two stupid humans again….it would not bode well for them. It still might not, depending on how much free time he had in the future…their obstruction had cost him much. Inuyasha’s attack near the gulley, Wasil’s death…it could all be traced back to them.

So yes….it did seem likely that he would be paying them a visit.

He hoped Inuyasha would be in better shape then last night when he awoke. The hanyou could hardly travel in such a condition, and it was possible that he wouldn’t even be able to be moved safely. Sesshomaru was trying to stay optimistic, but he was worried.

What was happening to his little brother? Inuyasha had asked it, Sesshomaru had pondered it….but he didn’t have any idea.

Inuyasha’s human transformation none withstanding….Sesshomaru had never heard of one’s body undergoing such attacks. During his first milestone he had cramped up yes, both Father and Daigon had worked upon him. But even his worst spell had paled in comparison to Inuyasha’s own. It was almost as if the hanyou’s body was trying to destroy itself…..which made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And then there was Inuyasha’s…heart attack. Nothing about that matched anything logical. How could a body try desperately to both live and die at the same time?

Sesshomaru kept trying to tell himself that there wasn’t any use worrying about it at the moment. Nothing could be done here as it was. Equipment, information, resources, all of it was severely lacking in their current location. As it was Daigon had barely been able to do any research on Inuyasha at all, he just did not have what he needed here, and could not have possibly brought everything along with him. Not to mention that neither Sesshomaru nor Daigon could have possibly foreseen Inuyasha’s….complications.

Home.

Everything revolved around getting home.

Sesshomaru tuned away from his overlooking, which if he was being honest really only amounted to him standing there watching all while being silently intimidating, and began to make his way back inside. It was time to check on Inuyasha again, and with any luck he would be awake, or at least safe to move.

If not…well Sesshomaru was getting back into bed with him then. It was only fair.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Inuyasha was awake when Sesshomaru arrived, which was more of a relief then Sesshomaru wanted to admit. The hanyou was sitting up on the edge of the bed, his top off, and was rubbing at his face slowly with his hands.

He looked groggy, disorientated, and very rumpled. But at least he was awake.

“I am never drinking anything you give me ever again.” Inuyasha groaned as Daigon checked over him.

“There was nothing else this one could do.” Daigon countered.

Inuyasha hissed as Daigon pressed his fingers gently into his lower back. Clearing his throat Sesshomaru stepped further into the room.

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

Inuyasha raised his head, revealing tired, bloodshot eyes.

“Like I’ve gone through a fucking meat grinder.” Inuyasha grumbled.

“But well enough to be crude.” Sesshomaru chuckled. Inuyasha cracked his jaw and raised his middle finger to Sesshomaru. Normally that might have upset the demon Lord, but right now he would take whatever he could get. Because at least Inuyasha had the energy for all that, as opposed to laying in bed, catatonic or something or equal detriment.

Daigon sighed and shook his head as he came around the bed from behind Inuyasha.

“Well you’re healing…and you don’t appear to be bleeding internally any longer. This one believes the….visual aftereffects should fade before too long. But you should definitely keep the physical activity to a bare minimum, and absolutely NO heavy lifting.” The healer stated.

Sesshomaru heard things pop and shift inside of Inuyasha as he slowly stood up, grunting loudly as he fully straightened out.

“Yeah, yeah….” Inuyasha muttered as he walked away from Daigon, heading towards the washroom.

Sesshomaru recoiled slightly as Inuyasha gave him his back. The hanyou’s kidney area looked badly inflamed and bruised, with angry red spider web like lines running up his back.

My Gods…” Sesshomaru thought. The pattern on Inuyasha’s back briefly reminded him of Naraku, and for a moment he had to wonder if that slimy hanyou bastard was the one behind all of this. But the markings on Inuyasha’s back were much more chaotic, not really forming Naraku’s spider at all. Still….it was a thought.

Once Inuyasha had closed the door behind him Daigon shot Sesshomaru a sympathetic look and shook his head.

So….Daigon still didn’t’ know…..damn it.

“You may leave.” Sesshomaru said softly. Daigon nodded and went for the door.

After he was goon Sesshomaru simply stood quietly in the room, just starting at the door to the room Inuyasha had gone into, with all of his senses firmly attuned to catch even the slightest hint that Inuyasha required help.

Inuyasha’s little pained gasps and grunts pushed into Sesshomaru like small shards of glass under his skin. Clearly Inuyasha was in no condition to make the trip on foot, and Sesshomaru already knew the boy would never allow himself to be carried, even if it was by his older brother.

So the question now was….how did he convince Inuyasha to ride with Retsu in his cart?

While he was pondering that Inuyasha returned to the room. The hanyou’s expression was grim and determined, so either he was trying extremely hard to hide whatever pain he was feeling….or he had just made up his mind about something.

Inuyasha did not say anything to Sesshomaru, he just went over to the table to retrieve his upper garments. Inuyasha swung it onto his right arm, but as he bent backwards and to the side slightly to snag the inside of the sleeve he grunted and froze.

Without a word Sesshomaru strode over to his little brother and carefully pulled the garment onto Inuyasha’s arm. The hanyou turned his head to look up at Sesshomaru standing behind him, but still said nothing.

Sesshomaru curled his arm around Inuyasha’s chest after the hanyou finished tying his top close, and gently pulled Inuyasha back into his own chest.

Inuyasha’s hands closed around Sesshomaru’s forearm, but the boy made no move to remove himself from Sesshomaru’s embrace.

“Well will be ready to depart soon.” Sesshomaru whispered, breaking the silence.

“Hnn….” Inuyasha grunted.
Sesshomaru nuzzled his face into Inuyasha’s thick hair and inhaled deeply. His little brother always smelled so good lately.

“We will be able to use the road.” Sesshomaru informed, his voice muffled slightly. “The trip will be must shorter this time….and hopefully devoid of any…unpleasantness.”

“Hnn…”

Brat….though Sesshomaru could forgive him. Without a doubt Inuyasha had a lot on his mind. Pulling back Sesshomaru stood up straighter to rest his chin between Inuyasha’s ears.

“Is there much pain?” He asked.

“…Mostly numb.” Inuyasha muttered.

Hmm….Sesshomaru couldn’t decide if that was a good or a bad thing. It was good that Inuyasha was not suffering, but if his nerves had overloaded to the point that he could not feeling anything…well that was not good now was it?

Unless perhaps Inuyasha’s lack of feeling was due to Daigon’s concoction, which would not be such a problem. But with that they did run the risk of it wearing off at a poor moment.

That certainly would not be good….so again the question was how to get Inuyasha to accept what was best for him?

But would it even be possible? Considering Inuyasha’s damnable pride, Sesshomaru was sure that the moment he said it Inuyasha would instantly, and adamantly insist that he was fine and he could do whatever he needed to without any assistance whatsoever. Why Inuyasha always felt that he had something to prove was beyond Sesshomaru.

“Alright…what is it?” Inuyasha suddenly asked.

Sesshomaru nearly jumped, he had been so involved in his own thoughts that he had nearly forgotten where he was.

“What do you mean?” He countered. HE hadn’t said a word beyond inquiring about Inuyasha condition. Surely the hanyou wasn’t having an issue with his touch…especially considering he was supporting most of Inuyasha’s weight for him as it was. Sesshomaru wasn’t sure when Inuyasha and begun to lean back into him, but he rather enjoyed it.

“You’ve sighed like…four times in two minutes….so what’s the issue now?” Inuyasha responded.

Sesshomaru blinked…..he had? Truly? He didn’t recall doing so but….if Inuyasha wanted to know….then perhaps that would be the best course of action.

“I am trying to discern the best way to approach this situation.” Sesshomaru admitted. “You are not one hundred percent, and even if you are healing it would not be wise to place further strain upon your body. In fact that is an even greater reason to proceed delicately, if you were to become injured while in such a state you may not heal properly. To this point I personally would like you to ride with Retsu. It would not take very long to construct something that would allow you to sit a bit more comfortably. However…as I know you, and how you react….the moment I do so you will become angry, proceed to shout and curse at me, insist you are not a child and that you can get along just fine by yourself……and then probably tell me to do something obscene and impossible with my rear.”

Inuyasha did not say a word after Sesshomaru finished, and the elder Inu began to steel himself for the inevitable outburst that was surely brewing.

But instead Inuyasha began to chuckle, his body quaking lightly in Sesshomaru’s embrace.

“Yeah…heh….that does sound like me doesn’t it?” Inuyasha muttered whimsically.

Sesshomaru’s jaw nearly dropped. For Inuyasha to just….just admit how stubborn really was….was….shocking. Inuyasha took a deep breath and then let it out sharply.

“Fine…I’ll do it.” Inuyasha said.

“Inuyasha…please….it is for your own-wait…what did you just say?” Sesshomaru fumbled.

Inuyasha twisted his head to shrug Sesshomaru off of it and tilted his face up to give Sesshomaru a droll look.

“I said….I’ll do it.”

Unable to stop himself Sesshomaru pulled his arm off of Inuyasha’s chest and placed the inside of his forearm on the hanyou’s forehead. Inuyasha volunteering to do what Sesshomaru wanted him to do, without an argument or a fist fight? More then a little frightening honestly.

Inuyasha growled loudly, and yanked Sesshomaru’s arm away.

“Keep fucking with me and I’ll change my mind.”

Sesshomaru pulled his arm back and began to lightly massage the back of Inuyasha’s neck. The hanyou groaned pleasantly and sank back into Sesshomaru once again.

“N-No…fair…” Inuyasha groaned.

Sesshomaru smiled and laid a gentle kiss on Inuyasha’s temple.

“I thank you for being reasonable.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX

Sesshomaru shifted back and forth on the balls of his feet as he watched the last few preparations go through. Only a few minutes more and then they could leave. Everyone was out front, save Daigon and Inuyasha, and the modifications to Retsu’s cart for Inuyasha were nearly complete.

He was not sure how everyone would react to a cushioned chair being built into the cart, and to be honest he didn’t care. Inuyasha was injured and thus deserved special treatment, and after yesterday Sesshomaru was in NO mood for any gruff from his guards.

But it seemed that they were still focused on whatever was going on between them, Atrius being the focal point. That was fine with him, as long as it stayed that way. Not that they knew it, but their actions from now, till they returned to the castle, had consequence.

He had been planning on a crackdown when he returned….and now he knew he was actually going to go through with it as soon as possible. The lack of discipline that had been shown lately shamed him, and the incident that had occurred when he had first brought Inuyasha home was still fresh in his mind.

It was beyond unacceptable, and now that Inuyasha was in poor shape….Sesshomaru would have zero tolerance. Imalia would also be put to the test, Sesshomaru was still unsure of where her loyalties were, and ancient laws be damned….if he had any doubts once he was finished she would be out of his home and out of his lands so fast she was liable to get whiplash.

Sesshomaru drew himself out of his thoughts just as the main door opened with Daigon and Inuyasha emerging. Daigon was in the lead, with Inuyasha slowly trailing behind, and Sesshomaru could see how careful the hanyou was being to keep from making even the slightest sudden move. From the look on his face Sesshomaru couldn’t tell if Inuyasha was in pain, of if he was trying to keep there from being any.

Inuyasha’s slow, shuffling walk attracted other attention then just Sesshomaru’s however, and members of their guard began to watch the hanyou curiously. Which apparently was the wrong thing to do, especially with concern to his health.

Inuyasha immediately pressed forward, pushing himself into a brisk walk. Sesshomaru turned his head towards the revamped seat and felt more concern when Inuyasha rolled his eyes and sighed. But this time the hanyou didn’t fuss or shout, he just grabbed the handrail on the side and swung himself into the seat.

Sesshomaru could hear a faint popping noise as Inuyasha went off of the ground, and the hanyou winced when he landed. Oh he hid it well, but Sesshomaru still caught it clearly enough.

It was ridiculous really, Sesshomaru himself had pride to be sure, but Inuyasha’s own bordered on insanity.

“Oh man…now this is nice.” Retsu murmured as he sat himself next to Inuyasha.

It had simply been easier to redo the entire front rather then one spot, plus it was only fair that Retsu be able to enjoy softer accommodations as well. Also Sesshomaru felt that by including him it would nullify any possible complaints that would cause Inuyasha to reject the situation.

Sesshomaru turned his attention towards their guard, leveling the iciest stare in his repertoire on them, silently daring any one of them to say something.

Thankfully none did, giving him a little hope for them despite some of the childish antics lately.

“Are you alright Lord Inuyasha?” Atrius asked, his voice laced with concern. Inuyasha’s face was a block of stone as he sunk into the new cushioning.

“Yeah…I’m fine.”

“No you are not.” Daigon interrupted, earning himself an evil glare from the hanyou.

“Yes. I. Am.” Inuyasha growled.

Oh no….Sesshomaru knew just what would happen if the healer pushed Inuyasha, and he did not want to see it.

“Fine then….stand up.” Daigon challenged.

“Why?” Inuyasha countered.

“Just do it.” Daigon quipped.

Inuyasha crossed his arms and looked away.

“I don’t want to.” Inuyasha declared.

“No….you can’t.” Daigon stated

Inuyasha whipped his head back to glare at the healer, baring fangs at him.

“One of your scars tore and your legs went numb didn’t they?” Daigon pressed. “You couldn’t stand up now if your ass was one fire.”

Inuyasha growled menacingly.

“Go fuck yourself you little man-boy.”

“Perhaps later, when this one doesn’t have to come running to patch you up every hour.” Daigon shot back.

“I didn’t call you, so why don’t you-”

“-Why don’t you actually take care of yourself like you constantly screech that you can.”
Alright….now this was starting to get out of hand, or at least approaching the part where it would be soon.

“Enough!” Sesshomaru barked. “Both of you…cease this this instant.”
Inuyasha snorted and turned his head to the side, looking away from Sesshomaru. Daigon crossed his arms and turned his back on the hanyou.

“Jailbait punk-ass.” Inuyasha muttered.

“…Petulant child.” Daigon grumbled.

Well yes he was but Sesshomaru knew better then anyone just how difficult it was to win any sort of argument with Inuyasha. Especially when his pride got involved. Even if something was good for the hanyou, the more you pushed, the firmer Inuyasha planted his feat. Not to mention that telling Inuyasha that he couldn’t do something was a surefire way to get him to try.

What Sesshomaru didn’t like was the Daigon’s declaration that Inuyasha’s legs were useless to him at the moment. But he had to assume it would only be temporary, because if it was not he was fairly certain that the healer would be attempting to treat it at this very moment, regardless of Inuyasha’s protests.

Sesshomaru sighed, he could only hope that this was not a preview of things to come.

“We leave.” He declared.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
< br> Inuyasha grumbled to himself as he watched the tree-line in the distance. Stupid healer….just what did he know about anything? So he may have popped something, it happened all the time, and maybe his legs had left him for a brief moment, that was no reason to just broadcast it for everyone to hear.

Besides….if he wanted to move or jump or whatever then by the gods he would…while he still could. He didn’t want to think about it, especially not about last night.

Why had he changed like that? That had never happened before, never…not once in all his years of life.

What was even more disturbing was the moment he changed back….he had felt even worse. Weak and frail….and then his body had gone nuts again, locking up and ripping….Inuyasha shook his head roughly, trying to dislodge the thought.

Past was past…he didn’t have time to dwell on things he couldn’t explain or change. But he didn’t want to think about the future either…as it didn’t exactly look very bright for him at the moment.

He had to have something to distract him but what? He couldn’t very well fall asleep sitting up in the cart. Knowing his luck he would fall out of it and bust his head open, or they would be attacked or something.

“So what’s Enyon’s problem with you?” Inuyasha ask Sesshomaru after some thought. The elder Inu was walking along side the cart, and a little ahead. Perhaps a curiosity would distract him from dark bodings.

“He hates us, he hates our Father, hates what we are and what we have.” Sesshomaru answered.

“Yeah but that doesn’t explain why.” Inuyasha stated.

“The why goes back a lot further then you, further then Inu-Taisho himself, and settles on your Grandmother.” Daigon suddenly chimed in.

“Oh really?”
Grandmother? Well….logically Inuyasha realized that his parents had had parents of their own, but he had a hard time thinking of himself with grandparents.

“Yes really.” Daigon said.

“Well then out with it.” Inuyasha huffed. “If you’ve got a story….its not like we don’t have the time.”

Daigon turned his head to look at Sesshomaru, and then back in front of him.

“It involves the personal history of your family, something that is not always allowed out in the open.”

“You may speak freely.” Sesshomaru declared. “I must admit that you have sparked my curiosity.”

“Wait….you mean you don’t know?” Inuyasha asked, to which Sesshomaru shook his head. “How the hell do you not know?”

Sesshomaru only shrugged.

“Father never spoke of his parents much, and after taking up the mantle as Lord I have not had much time to delve into history. Enyon hated father, and now he hates me….I have not needed to know more then that.” Sesshomaru responded. “Nor did I know that my healer could add something to our vile relationship.”

“You never asked?”
Something of an odd tension passed between the two, or so it seemed to Inuyasha, and that just served to confuse him. It certainly seemed to him, that ever since he himself had entered the picture, that various cracks had started to appear in whatever kind of….friendship or whatever that Daigon and Sesshomaru possessed.

“Well out with it already.” Inuyasha said.

Stretching out his arms and back, Daigon took a deep breath.

“Well to truly understand you have to know what kind of person you Grandmother was. Arne, even her name was a snarl, was a giant Inu from the frigid mountains up north. She was….so….not at all the kind of woman that, certain instances aside, populated your family.”

“Meaning?” Inuyasha questioned.

“Well….you see for the most part your particular clan, at least as far as this one knows, had and has evolved into the most cerebral members of your race.” Daigon explained. “Inventors, negotiators, strategists, men of logic and reason…things like that. Your Grandfather, Inu-Toga if you can believe that, was probably he most brilliant thinker ever to come out of your family, if not of the last millennia. There is no person, before or after, that has ever guided the economy of the West the way he did. He was a quiet man. Every word, every comment, every answer and order all carefully thought over, meticulously worded and purposefully delivered. To many he was cold and uncaring. But to those who really knew him he was a man who cared so much that he weighed every word and deed to carefully guide and protect all that he loved.”

“Father didn’t speak of him much.” Sesshomaru stated plainly. “I always did wonder why…”

“Well maybe green head over here can explain that too.” Inuyasha said. The healer gave him a look and stuck his tongue out, but did nod.

“In a way…perhaps. But to continue….Inu-Toga was the bi-product of a less then stellar upbringing. His Father had bankrupted the West, both of gold and men, over the course of six different wars. Wars that had cost him his own mate, your Great-Grandmother, and turned him into nothing more then a bitter, broken, drunkard of a man. Thus when he passed away, quite young as this one understands, the West your Grandfather inherited was much, much different then the West you now know.” Daigon informed. “Now due to his very calculating, cautious nature it was assumed that Inu-Toga would mate with someone very much the same.”

“Naturally…though not always true.” Sesshomaru murmured.

“Well that all changed the night of Inu-Toga’s grand invitation….and Arne showed up.” Daigon responded.

“Grand invitation?” Inuyasha puzzled.

“Generally a night where all the eligible demons in the land are invited to….display themselves. Typically it is something that only happens due to the consuls insistence.” Sesshomaru explained. “The purpose of course is to pick a mate out of the teeming masses of fleshing all flinging themselves at you.”

“Correct.” Daigon chirped.

“You ever had one?” Inuyasha asked.

“No.” Sesshomaru answered firmly.

From the tone of Sesshomaru’s voice it sounded like a very sore spot to Inuyasha. He was tempted to poke at it, but decided against it. He would just end up derailing Daigon and pissing off Sesshomaru, and while the former was quite amusing, the latter he didn’t actually want.

“Now when Daigon referred to Arne as a giant Inu he was not just picking a cute phrase. She stood somewhere between thirteen and a half and fourteen feet tall and weighed upwards of two thousand pounds by her own boasts. Arms as thick as your body, legs even thicker then that. Hands as big as half a pig that could palm your head as easily as you can hold an apple….and yes a pair of breasts that looked more like flesh boulders really.” Daigon informed. “Which from a distance was about the only way you could even tell she WAS a female.”

“Wow….big girl.” Inuyasha mused.

“Indeed….and this one is sure you can imagine how the primp and proper ladies and gentlemen assembled that night felt when this giant barbarian from the north thundered through the main gate. Apparently clad in unrefined furs with a massive spear made from and actual tree and a sharpened stone tip roped to the top slung over her shoulder…hardly the picture of Western womanhood. An image no doubt cemented when she bellowed that she would be the new queen and was more then ready to fight any who would dare to challenge her.” Daigon continued.
Sesshomaru actually chuckled at that.

“I think I might actually have enjoyed witnessing such an event.”

“Yes well…this one was not there, his association with your family would come later. But the official report, and your Grandfather’s later admission, stated that it was soon explained to her that there was no queen, and it was not a combat competition, with quite a few haughty chuckles from the polite crowd. Undeterred of course, and now at the front of the crowd, Arne simply repeated her declaration and punted the daughter of the then high-chairman of the consul across the room.” Daigon continued. “Now one could probably assume that the genteel, diplomatic Inu-Toga would call for the guard after such a display…but….for whatever reason he was apparently rather amused and intrigued by the giant female warrior.”

“Aw…how cute…so storybook.” Inuyasha gagged. Sesshomaru shot him a half-scolding look which his promptly waved off. It was his family too, so he could say whatever the fuck popped into his head.

Sounded like his kind of woman…minus the whole giant thing…that would get weird considering at his height he would probably be dead level with her crotch.

“Now again, this one was not there, so he can not say what exactly brought them together, be it some kind of beneficial marriage of convenience or whatnot. But the did end up fully mated before too long, and were apparently very much in love…though this one never really saw it.” Daigon reported. “Now truthfully having such a mate did benefit Inu-Toga. There had been some rumblings about a few rising to challenge him for the throne, but that all pretty much ended once Arne was cemented into the picture. Daigon also heard her mating gift to him caused a bit of a stir.”

“Mating…gift?” Inuyasha puzzled.

“After the final mark is given and a mating is sealed, it is customary to present your new mate with some type of significant gift.” Sesshomaru explained.
Gifts? Seriously?

“Do you have to?” Inuyasha asked.

“It is considered to be a grave insult not to.” Sesshomaru answered.

Damn it…..just thinking about it gave Inuyasha flashbacks of the time Kagome had forced him to partake in that….Christmas thing. Inuyasha shuddered….what a nightmare that had been.

“So with Arne taking over the military, what was left of it anyway. Inu-Toga turned his attention to the West’s shattered economy. This one supposes things went well enough for a period of time. The trouble, as Daigon understands it, started when Arne came into conflict with Enyon’s father, Turama.” Daigon said.

“Turama? Who the fuck comes up with these names?” Inuyasha thought.

Still…one little detail was nagging at him.

“But seriously….fourteen feet tall? Come on….I’ve never even seen another Inu other then Sesshomaru, let alone one that big.” Inuyasha said. Hell….as far as he knew he and Sesshomaru were the last of their kind. Why else would he have never met another? For all he knew Sesshomaru could have killed them all…..Inuyasha could totally picture it happening after all. Well…maybe not quite THAT sever but still….

“Well most of the giant Inu actually left Japan, to where no one really knows.” Daigon responded. “Tensions became extremely high once your own clan became the dominate force among your kind. Generally favoring reason and knowledge over brute force your clan had long been an affront to the giant Inu of the North. Which only grew worse after multiple conflicts that ended in their defeat. They felt that your clan was leading Inu away from their roots, their true selves, abandoning your animalistic sides in favor of….domestication.”
Sesshomaru snorted and shook his head, which didn’t surprise Inuyasha. But on the subject….he had always thought Sesshomaru was pampered beyond belief, but he had lived the rugged, day to day, lifestyle…..it certainly wasn’t anything to pine for.

“They felt that your clan would weaken Inu, turn them soft and abandon strength and battle. They hated the idea of forging alliances with the other lands, the entire concept of allowing market and business offended them as well. They were very of the land people, and of the only the strongest should survive mentality. Basically they just hated everything your family did, and each and every loss infuriated them more and more as they considered your clan to produce very poor warriors. Ones that could only win through what they considered black magic and dirty tricks.” Daigon continued.

Again Inuyasha’s attention was drawn towards Sesshomaru. He had never used magic in his life, wouldn’t even know how to, and he was pretty sure Sesshomaru hadn’t either. As for poor warriors…well he supposed he couldn’t really count himself, as everything he knew was self taught, and way outside any kind of family tradition. But Sesshomaru….well everything about his way of fighting was pure technical destruction. A thought that was probably running through the demon Lord in question, give that he had suddenly pushed himself even straighter, chest out, body poised with perfect regal precision.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes, leave it to Sesshomaru to find yet another way to bolster his ego.

“Sounds more like being a sore loser to me.” Inuyasha muttered.

Daigon rocked his head from side to side.

“Mm…perhaps. They had been the power in the loose alliance of the Inu for centuries….that was until your family rose to prominence some…oh….eight or nine generations before your Grandfather came into the world. That’s demon generations mind you….but to the point, after you Grandfather’s coronation and subsequent diplomatic actions the giant Inu simple said enough was enough, stormed out, prepared their ships and sailed off to parts unknown. Arne was one of the few who remained, the only female as this one understands it. The fact that your Grandfather did not fight for what he wanted, fight and take it from those who held it…well….that was pure blasphemy to them.” Daigon reported. “As another point of interest…if was widely suggested that Arne had gone for Inu-Toga for the expressed purpose of breeding some of the giant Inu blood into your family.”

“And what do you think about that theory?” Sesshomaru asked. Daigon shrugged.

“It was something she would do.” The healer quipped, and the distaste in his voice was clear. “But back to Arne and Turama. Basically she humiliated him in front of…well…everyone. Picked him up as if he were a child, swatted his ass like one, and then threw him out of a window and into the….refuse pile outside.”

Sesshomaru sucked in a sharp breath, a very vocal -oh bad move- wince if Inuyasha had ever heard one.

“I think that would cause some strife yes.” Sesshomaru stated.

Inuyasha giggled…personally he thought it was funny as hell.

“Of course Turama swore vengeance, which Arne simply laughed at while she called him to try to claim it on the spot. Now at first…despite fears, nothing seemed to come of it, and more then forty years past….then she became pregnant with Inu-Taisho. Which as Daigon understands came as a bit of a surprise.” Daigon continued.

“Mated couple is together, woman gets pregnant…I don’t see anything out of the ordinary.” Inuyasha said with a shrug.

“Well normally no…but give the size difference….Inu-Toga six foot six…Arne…widely claimed to be fourteen foot three…..whether or not he could even penetrate her was the subject of gossip around the West.”

Inuyasha nodded at that, rubbing his chin.

“Yeah…okay…I can see where there might be a problem then. Do a bad job and she squeezes her legs and kills you. Do a good job and she convulses, squeezes her legs and kills you. Poor guy…” Inuyasha mused.

“Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru chided, though he was chuckling slightly through it.

“Yes well…rumor was that he did a very good job.” Daigon supplied dryly.

“I don’t want to know.” Inuyasha countered.

“Neither did Daigon.” The healer groused.

Hmmm….Inuyasha had to wonder….would he get any bigger if given time? HE was at least…well….a quarter giant Inu wasn’t he? Wait…yeah….the old man was half, and Inuyasha was half of him so….quarter right?

Fucking math….

“It was about ha time that you came into play correct?” Sesshomaru asked Daigon. “Father always said that he had grown up with you.”

“….That is correct….” Daigon answered hesitantly. “But that does not pertain to the story.”

“Sure it does, I mean…you were there right?” Inuyasha added.

“And you have never told mew just how you came into our family’s service.” Sesshomaru said. “For one as decorated as you, it does seem to be a grave injustice that I can not even commemorate it.”

“Come into service…pah….” Daigon snorted in disgust as he crossed his arms.

The action struck Inuyasha as odd, especially when Sesshomaru had just complimented him. A quick glace saw that Sesshomaru was also a bit taken aback by it as well.

Daigon let out a heavy sigh.

‘This one supposes he could speak of it…but only if he may speak freely. He refuses to tell it if he must withhold the facts and his true feelings.”

Well now…that was also odd, and a lot more hostile then Inuyasha had heard from the healer since they had first met. Hn….now he really wanted to know….color him a bit sadistic…but this sounded like it could be good.

“You were already given my permission to speak freely old friend.” Sesshomaru informed, sounding a bit leery, but like Inuyasha himself he also sounded curious.

Daigon wiped at his eyes with one hand and sighed yet again.

“Well the first thing you must understand is that Daigon HATES Arne. With every ounce of his soul and fiber in his being. Hates. Her.” The venom in Daigon’s voice sounded much more like what Inuyasha held within himself, so he could understand the feeling, even if he didn’t understand the cause.

Interesting really….he had thought that the healer was nothing more then hyperactive, bouncy glee with a weird voice and word games wrapped up inside.

“And why is that old friend?” Sesshomaru asked softly. His voice wasn’t exactly hurt, but it did sound somewhat in the ballpark of it to Inuyasha.

“Well…she deserves it. Because you see….Arne had a particular way of doing things. When she wanted something….she took it. Regardless of what it was, who owned it, or if it was needed….she didn’t care.” Daigon explained. “This one had made the mistake of becoming…..too talented in his field, and through word of mouth and certain written accounts had gained a certain degree of fame. Now with a newborn son, and an odd fixation on his future Arne decided that Daigon would be just perfect to start her son’s court.”

Inuyasha was silent, but continued to watch Sesshomaru carefully. There were many things that he didn’t understand the significance of. But Sesshomaru would, or did anyway. If he reacted then Inuyasha would know something was up, he might not understand what it was, but he could file it away for later.

“At first it was a polite invitation, nothing pushy. But this one was not interested…he had a life at home, a purpose there. He was needed, he had a…a family, he had friends. So why pack up and relocate to a new place, to a job that he didn’t want at all?” Daigon continued. “But two more letters came after Daigon had respectfully declined. Each a little pushier then the last….this one tried to be polite but when the last one was an outright demand…he lost his temper a bit. He was not interested in serving some newborn Inu brat.”

Inuyasha watched Sesshomaru’s face as Daigon took a shot at the old man, he was totally expecting a patented Sesshomaru glare at the very least, to say nothing to the blow that was sure to come. But instead the elder Inu merely looked contemplative.
Well that was no fun….

“But something tells me that wasn’t the end of it.” Inuyasha stated, to which Daigon sighed sadly.

“No…no it was not. Three days after his replay was sent….guess who appeared on Daigon’s doorstep to retrieve him?” Daigon grumbled.

“Grandmother.” Sesshomaru plugged in.

“Exactly….now needless to say, but this one will say it anyway, he was not pleased to have his morning disturbed by some loud mouthed barbarian appearing to bark orders. Again Daigon repeated that he had no interest in the position, and more importantly he was needed by his own people. This of course was casually dismissed. As far as she was concerned because Daigon’s homeland rested within Western borders, that made him a subject of theirs and thus he WOULD do as he was told.” Daigon said. “Daigon tried logic, pointing out that he would hardly serve well or loyally if he was pressed into service. To which she replied he would simply be killed then.”

“Damn….” Inuyasha muttered.

Okay….maybe not his kind of girl. Sounded like an asshole….and Inuyasha sure was not fond of those.

“Well…after that this one lost his temper completely, he as not going to be dictated to, nor threatened, certainly not on his own doorstep. It escalated and escalated until Arne finally suggested that we play a bit of a challenge game. If she won then this one would do as ordered and if he won then she would leave and never bother him again.” Daigon reported.

“And you lost.” Inuyasha supplied.

“No…” Daigon growled viciously. “Daigon won, she cheated.”

Annnnd here it came, Inuyasha could see the statement roll through Sesshomaru. In only a few moments it sparked the demon Lord’s touchy family pride and honor.

“Daigon….I can fully understand being upset of being so pressed…but that is no reason to-” Sesshomaru began.

She did!!” Daigon screamed, startling both Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. The elder Inu’s eyes actually widened in shock at the rage in the healers voice, and a few of the guard in the front looked back curiously. At a normal tone of voice they were mostly out of earshot, but they had definitely heard hat.

A fairly impressive rumbling growl spilled out of the healer before he continued.

“She did, she did and she made no attempt to hide it, smiling smugly when Daigon pointed it out and then refused to leave. She antagonized Daigon to the point where he was beyond enraged, then she tricked him into giving his word on something inane, stole something….very important to him and then used his vow to bind his word to her son.” Daigon paused and from having done the very same thing millions of times Inuyasha could tell he was seething. “And so Daigon as pulled from home, which she threatened to destroy anyway, taken from his family, his parents, his sisters, his brothers, dragged halfway across the country….just because she wanted something.”

Damn….now Inuyasha felt like giving an apology, but he wasn’t sure what to say or how to say it. Sesshomaru looked slightly pained and yet still contemplative.

“Some remember Arne as a good, kind woman, at least in her own way. A stalwart defender of the West and her people. To an extent…perhaps that was true, she was woman of the people, spent more time with them then with anyone else minus her family. She did much for the farmers, once strapping a massive plow to herself to single-handedly plow acre after acre, even if it was only to show off her own strength. She knew the names of every single person in the towns around the Western Castle, and somehow managed to be a witness to each and every single birth. She was the main driving force in the rebirth of the West’s military.” Daigon said. “But Daigon remembers her as a wretched barbarian who bound him against his will. Who lied and stole to do it. Who could grin and tear into her food with her bare hands as this one begged for even a short release to visit his home. Who would repeat his pleas in a high pitched, whiney voice to his face and laugh. Daigon remembers her philosophy well….if it wasn’t important to her…then it wasn’t important at all. She made no secret that this one was nothing more then a tool in her eyes, as were many others. So yes…Daigon hates Arne, and yes…he did greatly enjoy her passing.”

Inuyasha blinked, he certainly had not been expecting that when the healer had began the story. Having never had a home, a true home to return to, Inuyasha really couldn’t related. But he did remember how it felt each time he and his Mother had been forced out of where they were living.

It didn’t’ really compare though…considering that they had never been happy or welcomed anywhere…but he wasn’t without sympathy.

“How long has it been since you went home?” Inuyasha asked carefully.

“Daigon has not set foot in his homeland or seen one of his people since the day Arne ripped him away from it all.” Daigon answered.

Damn…..Inuyasha didn’t know how long that was, but if it was all of the old man’s life, and all of Sesshomaru’s life combined….it had to be a long ass time.

“…Regardless of your feeling and relationship with our Grandmother….you have never asked me for a leave. I would have granted it, and I know Father would have as well.” Sesshomaru stated.

Daigon didn’t even turn his head to look at Sesshomaru, and Inuyasha noticed that the wind had changed with Daigon’s mood…which was kinda freaky. It had been whipping around for a while there, but now it was dead still.

“By the time all of the drama surrounding Inu-Taisho had dissipated, including his first years as Lord, his mating, y our birth, your mother’s death and everything else….just when Daigon thought he might get his request….Inu-Taisho had to go off and die.” Daigon huffed. “Then came your rule…and all the problems and emergencies that came along with it.”

“It…was a tumulus time.” Sesshomaru admitted.

“And after that….well this one didn’t have a reason to believe his request would be granted.” Daigon reported.

“And why is that?” Sesshomaru asked.

“You won’t like it.” Daigon informed.

“I have not liked much that I have heard so far.” Sesshomaru responded. “But I do not like secrets, nor can I change what I do not know.”

“Well you asked…remember that.” Daigon muttered. “But simply….you would not bring your very young brother out of the wild and to his home….so why should this one believe that he would be allowed to leave? Very much your Grandmother’s descendent as it were.”

Inuyasha watched as a pained look came over Sesshomaru’s face, and his eyes slowly closed.

“I would not have denied you the right to visit your home Daigon.” Sesshomaru said softly.

“It doesn’t matter now….” Daigon muttered sadly. “Daigon can not go home.”

A thick, heavy silence hung in the air, far too quiet for Inuyasha’s taste. That much quiet made him nervous, but he wasn’t sure if he should break it. Granted he couldn’t be sat anymore, but Inuyasha had learned that speaking at certain times only brought grief down about his head.

Finally he couldn’t stand it any longer however.

“So…uh….is that the end?”

It seemed kind of silly for such a small thing to cause a lasting hatred that went down generations and settled in Enyon. Daigon shook his head though.

“No…it does go on.” He answered. “As Inu-Taisho grew from a baby to a child, a bit of a border dispute erupted between the West and the East. Inu-Toga was confident that it would be resolved without bloodshed….but Arne wouldn’t hear of it. She considered it a challenge…and thus would meet it.”

“I do remember reading about it in my studies.” Sesshomaru said. “But the account was rather….sketchy.”

“That is because there were very few survivors.” Daigon stated. “Arne marched in with two hundred raw recruits, Og, brother of Turama came to meet her with nice hundred of his own. Needless to say….it was a massacre. How Arne managed to achieve what was called a victory is still a puzzle. But what is known is that she walked in with two hundred soldiers…and she walked out with three.”

Sesshomaru blew out a tight breath.

“Doesn’t even seem worth it when faced with that kind of loss. Why would she take so few, and an untested few at that?”

“Because that was Arne, and this one reluctantly adds in her defense….the West had no well trained army at the time. The few commanders Inu-Toda had inherited were guarded carefully.” Daigon reported. “Og died in the battle, Arne tore him in half right in front of his men. Not to mention she killed the wounded that were left when the East pulled back. Word was that he remaining men on the eastern side could hear their comrades desperate pleading for hours as Arne made her rounds. No retreat, no surrender, no mercy….the giant Inu way. Now how true that is Daigon doesn’t know, but he does know that Arne hung dozens of bodies over the Eastern side of the wall as a warning.”

Wow…talk about harsh. Though it did made sense…..at least to Inuyasha. Fear and respect were powerful weapons, and if you couldn’t have respect…well then…fear would do.

“As you can imagine Turama did not take the developments well, losing his men as well as his brother. Especially not after he had received word from Inu-Toga that a peaceful solution was what the West desired.” Daigon continued.

“She went….knowing that?” Sesshomaru asked, a tone of disbelief in his voice.

“Mmhmm…but then…who could stop her? She was commander of their army not Inu-Toga. Many of the Western soldiers had never even met the Lord of the West, and of course he had left in secret.” Daigon responded. “Inu-Toga was beyond furious when she returned, leading to yet another one of their titanic arguments. The two certainly loved each other very much, but when it came to philosophy….or indeed anything outside of their private time….hoo boy….”

It was interesting and Inuyasha supposed he was learning something about his family. But really….Inuyasha had never really thought of his relatives as family. At least not in the sense that he did his Mother. It was like…while he knew they had kinship with him, it never felt like they did in his heart.

The only reason he even thought about it was because he couldn’t help but wonder what Sesshomaru was feeling about all of this. He didn’t know why he wanted to know, but maybe if he knew how Sesshomaru felt…then he would know how he was supposed to feel.

“Time past and Inu-Taisho began to approach his teens. When no counter came for her actions Arne most likely dismissed the incident from her mind. No doubt thinking that for all his lands much touted strength Turama was little more then a coward at heart. But of course rats are not foolish creatures, and they can be very….sneaky. They are fully capable of watching, waiting, waiting for the perfect moment…and one day that moment came.” Daigon continued. “Rats are quite skilled at finding ways in without anyone knowing, and one day Arne’s prized spear came up missing.”

Not much of a revenge really…at least not to Inuyasha’s mind. Though there was probably more to it all.

“What was so prized about it?” He asked.

“It was the mating gift that Inu-Toga gave her.” Daigon answered. “Of course Arne was quite enraged by its theft. You see a note was delivered, be here at such and such a time, leave X amount of gold and so forth. Of course she scoffed at that, and without thinking, without telling anyone or even allowing her very capable mate to analyze the situation…she left to deal with the problem herself.”

“A trap.” Sesshomaru planted.

“Oh it was much more then that. Because when she arrived….overkill really.” Daigon stated.

“What do you mean?” Inuyasha asked.

“Two thousand soldiers. That was what she was met by and surrounded with.” Daigon responded. “This one ahs no doubt that she tried to fight, but against those odds? She was brought down…and from there dragged back to Turama’s dungeon.”

Two thousand?

Inuyasha couldn’t even imagine facing that many people….even Tetsusaiga would be unable to even those odds. He would have to let loose the Wind Scar in all directions, he doubted he could even swing that fast. To say something of long range archers….

“That’s a lot of men….” Inuyasha muttered. “So tactician…what would you do?”
Sesshomaru gave Inuyasha a look.

“Simple…throw you at them.” He was totally deadpan when he said it, but his eyes were bright.

“Yeah but that’s not fair….I’m awesome.” Inuyasha shot back. “Especially if there were girls there.”

“How do you figure that?” Sesshomaru asked.

“It’s the ears big brothers….chicks dig the ears.” Inuyasha replied.

“Anyway….at first no one really thought anything of Arne’s absence, after all she often disappeared without warning.” Daigon said in between chuckles over Inuyasha and Sesshomaru’s little back and forth. “But….after one of her severed fingers was delivered to Inu-Toga one day wrapped up in an invitation….well the situation changed.”

That was a sobering admission to be sure. Sesshomaru lost his slight smile, which bothered Inuyasha a little. Granted a smiling Sesshomaru could be damn creepy….

“And so with his son in two, as per the invitations demand, the best guard that could be assembled, and yours truly…off we went.” Daigon informed.

“To the Eastern castle I assume….though one would have to think that it was yet another trap.” Sesshomaru said.

Daigon just shrugged.

“We all had little choice in the matter, Lord’s orders and all, and the invitation was clear. If Inu-Toga wanted his mate back alive…he had to come.” Daigon said. “Now believe it or not….we were actually welcomed warmly, though of course it did have a mocking edge. Now this one doesn’t know exactly what went down when Turama and Inu-Toga went off alone to…discuss. Daigon was told to stay with the young Inu-Taisho…who…for better or for worse, didn’t know what was going on just yet.”

Inuyasha had a cold feeling in his stomach, for some reason the admission about their Father reminded him all to much about his own childhood.

Being oblivious while his Mother was dealing with dreadful situations nearly everyday. That was until he grew old enough, and they grew large enough, that she could no longer hide them from him.

“What this one can tell you is that the brilliant Inu-Toga was about to negotiate the toughest deal of his life. What was said is known only to those two, so this one can’t really say what was said. What Inu-Toga would have tried to offer is a toss up, on one hand he truly did love Arne for some reason, but on the other hand he had a sense of duty to his lands and people that was second to none.” Daigon reported. “With all his heart he loved Arne, with all his soul…never let anyone say different. However….land, wealth….it didn’t come down to that. Be it what Turama wanted, which is what this one believes, or something Inu-Toga put forth, which this one truly doubts, the conditions for Arne’s release was very simple….yet devastating.”

“And what would that be?” Inuyasha asked.

“Arne’s submission….her pride.” Daigon answered. “She had to publicly proclaim Turama and the East’s greatness, beg for his forgiveness and kiss his feet as a symbol of her submission. To top it all off…..the final…jab and twist was…was that Inu-Taisho had to personally witness it all.”

Inuyasha’s ears picked up the low sound of Sesshomaru’s jaw quivering slightly as he ground his teeth together.

Yeah….he had to agree.

“Daigon still remembers watching Inu-Toga trudge his way down to the cells beneath us. He had managed to talk Turama into allowing him to speak with Arne. As far as this one knows they could hear one another but not lay eyes upon themselves. This one admits to being curious, and Inu-Taisho wished to know where his Father had went. So Daigon managed to get himself in a position to eavesdrop a bit. Now…he couldn’t hear Arne’s voice, but he could hear her mate.” The healer reported. “Inu-Toga informed Arne of…the terms…and pleaded with her to go along with it. Pride be damned, revenge could come later. He implored her to think about what was really important, namely her son and her mate. Now this one did not hear her reply, but when Inu-Toga returned to his son, he did look hopeful….so perhaps he had managed to pound some sense into her granite skull.”

Inuyasha tried to think of how he would react in such a situation. He wasn’t sure he would be able to do it to be honest, but then again he didn’t have a mate…or a young pup. Though the more he thought about it the more he decided that that really was the deal breaker.

Having lost both of his own parents had made him rather sensitive towards the issue of leaving his own pups alone in the world…so…he guessed he would do it, if only for them. Because if there was one thing he had learned from his Mother it was that sometimes a parent had to sacrifice much for their children.

Turning his attention to his stone-faced sibling Inuyasha had to wonder what Sesshomaru would do. If anything Sesshomaru had even more pride then Inuyasha did, at least as far as he was concerned.

Sesshomaru was the type to never bend at the knee for anything, while Inuyasha had done so many times….well he had been forced to by the beads anyway.

Considering how long he had suffered that, Inuyasha felt he deserved some credit. If Kagome had her beads of subjugation on Sesshomaru she would have had to say the world about every thirty seconds while running for the hills as fast as she could.

Inuyasha snickered softly. He was almost tempted to get some from Kaede and give it a shot….could be funny as hell. Of course she could also try to throw another pair on him…..he certainly hadn’t forgotten who had placed them on in the first place.

“Now Inu-Toga took his son off alone before we were….seated, and must have explained the situation, at least part of it. It was far too much for a child really, but had Inu-Taisho not have been prepared beforehand….it might have been even more traumatizing.” Daigon continued. “It certainly wasn’t a sight you would want a loved one in.”

“Bad huh?” Inuyasha muttered. Daigon nodded.

“Oh yes…..”

Daigon cracked his neck as he stood behind his charge. He wasn’t sure quite what to expect, but the look on Inu-Toga’s face was making him more then a little nervous. He kept it to himself though and allowed his hands to rub gently at the shoulders of young Inu-Taisho seated in front of him. The boy’s childlike curiosity and sense of wonder had disappeared, replaced with a sense of nervousness and slight fear.

It made Daigon wonder just what Inu-Toga had said to his son….and he couldn’t decide whether he should be upset or understanding. Inwardly he scowled…stupid fucking Arne…did the bitch even understand that she had a young child?

“Wh-why are we sitting here?” Inu-Taisho asked softly. Inu-Toga’s hand slid over to grasp at his sons, squeezing it gently in reassurance.

“…I don’t’ know.” Inu-Toga admitted. “I…be strong son…”

Well didn’t that just cause Daigon’s stomach to bottom out…

But he didn’t have time to dwell upon it as a set off giant doors opened on the other side of the arena, and a half a dozen men appeared, each pulling a thick, sturdy chain.

Now what would…

The crowd began to cheer as a large pull cart began to come into view…with Arne upon it…

Inu-Toga sucked in a sharp breath. Inu-Taisho began to shake with growing fear.

Daigon stayed passive, simply keeping a firm, but gentle grip on his charge.

Arne was a mess…which was an understatement at that. Her arms and head were locked in some modified version of the stocks. She was covered in blood and filth, large gashes and bruises sat on her massive body, her face a mangled pulp…or at least the parts that Daigon could see were. Large tuffs off her hair were missing, obviously ripped out judging from the bloody patches on her scalp.

Her legs were obviously broken in several places, bits of bone sticking out of the skin. Some type of metal beams had been driven into her knee’s and locked in place, probably there to prevent her from rising…if she even could.

Large hooks and barbs hung in her body, each with a large chain leading to a crank, each pulled tight enough to make the parts they were hooked into pull away from the skeleton a bit.

Some sort of collar was locked around her neck, from which hung weights and kept her from raising her head, yet at the same time she had to fight with it to keep from being planted face first. Not to mention if she fell the steel in her body would only pull tighter, perhaps ripping right out of her flesh Daigon observed.

It was a spectacular display of barbarism.

From the look on Inu-Toga’s face Daigon realized that he clearly had not been able to see his mate earlier. But the look on Inu-Taisho’s little face…the sight before him could turn even a grown demon’s stomach, to say nothing of a pre-teen.

Regardless of what his Father may have said before hand, nothing could have prepared the boy for this….nothing at all. He looked away, gluing his eyes to the floor, and from the small heaves of his chest Daigon feared he would be sick.

“Remember the deal dog.” One of Turama’s lackeys growled from behind them.

With a shaking hand that clearly had practically no strength at all Inu-Toga turned his son’s head back to face it.

“Be strong for her Inu-Taisho…” Inu-Toga whispered, and Daigon could see it was killing him, to force hi son to watch this….but what could he do? If something had been arranged earlier, something that would allow them to all leave safely…then they would have to abide.

It still filled Daigon with rage…and thoughts of ending the life of the mocking one’s behind him flitted through his head.

To his credit…the little Inu-Taisho was trying, but beyond the condition of his Mother, Daigon could see that the crowd was truly horrifying him.

The cheers and the jeers, they were enjoying every moment of this. Daigon knew good and well what the East thought of Arne, that she was a vile, arrogant beast. He knew that the sight of her so broken was glorious to them…but no child should have to see this.

“Look here my people!” Turama shouted. “Before you kneels the mighty Arne, the beast of the West. Many are her crimes, murder, grand theft, cannibalism…her sins would take me hours to list.”

“Rip her up!” Someone shouts from the crowd as Turama slaps Arne across the face…once…twice…three times.

“No mercy!” Someone else screamed. “She killed my sons!”

“This is true…an animal such as this deserves nothing short of being put down. However…as I am a kind, merciful Lord…” Turama bellowed. “And to set a true example for the backwards West….I am willing to give her the opportunity to learn at long last, an opportunity to ear freedom.”

Daigon watched as Turama pulled Arne’s head up, metal and bone creaking as he did. Of course the second her jaw was level she lashed out, her teeth snapping together as she tried to take a chunk out of him.

She miss of course, not even close enough to make one nervous. Turama laughed then, almost as if it had all been a planned joke.

But then he turned around, and reached for something Daigon couldn’t see. His hand shot out again, clutching Arne’s torn and ragged head of hair before yanking it up again. He turned, his free hand thrusting forward, and Daigon saw what it was a split second before it reached its goal.

A red hot poker.

Pop! Pop!

Arne’s eyes burst like rotten fruit as the sharp, heated piece of metal plunged into them.

It had to hurt, HAD to…Daigon knew that much. But to her credit she didn’t exactly scream…no…an ear-splitting pained roar shook the very walls that surrounded them, terrifying the crowd.

Poor Inu-Taisho slammed his hands against his ears, tears leaving from his eyes as he tried to block out the sound. Inu-Toga had become sickly pale, and for a moment Daigon truly believed he would vomit.

He managed to hold on to it though…perhaps that was what Lords did, or were expected to do.

Arne sagged, collapsing in on herself, and all the fight, all her might….seemed to just drain out of her. Daigon couldn’t really blame her…tricked, captured, tortured, mutilated…and now blinded…everyone had a breaking point…even one such as her.

“Now then beast…proclaim who holds true power, what land is truly the greatest…and kiss the feet of a true demon…and you may go.” Turama declared.

So…that was the deal then? Daigon had a hard time believing blinding her was a part of it but…he watched either way, what else could he do?

He wasn’t entirely sure, but truth be told he felt that, based on her body language, she was actually going to do it. She was going to surrender…The Mighty Arne was going to give in.

But then…little Inu-Taisho suddenly stood.

He went straight to the railing…and he screamed.

But it was more then a scream, it was an emotion filled, wordless plea that drove right into Daigon’s heart.

And…a change went over Arne, one that Daigon watched spread throughout her body as clear as day.

It was just a helpless cry really, a child calling out for his Mother…but that was enough.

Her teeth gritted in grim determination Arne began to try to rise, to stand even with all the weight that was holding her down, to regain her feet even though her joints were practically locked in place. Yet she still tried…

And somehow…someway…she was succeeding.

He didn’t know how, and he knew far more about how a body worked then most. By all right’s she should have been crippled…yet she was rising.

The bars jammed in her knee’s bend, and she stiffened her neck so tightly that Daigon could see the veins bulging out, she shook her head violently along with that, and the tight collar exploded.

Pulling with all her remaining might she broke the manacles that held her hands, and with them tore off the weights around her neck. The hooks stayed in however, and the chains pulled taunt as she stood to her full height.

The crowd panicked, screaming and fleeing as metal and wood exploded off of Arne…but in truth….Daigon could see that she was no closer to escaping then when she had first been drug out.

It was an impressive sight to be sure…but a body had its limits…and clearly Arne was taxed well beyond her own. Anyone who knew where and how to look would be able to see it…but maybe they could-

Arne turned her head towards Inu-Taisho, even blinded she managed to look right at him, and for a moment, just a brief moment she seemed to smile a soft mother’s smile. Gentle, reassuring…everything Inu-Taisho really needed.

Then she threw her head back, belting out the intense, booming Inu war cry that all Inu seemed to do.

Proud….defiant…powerful…she threw her broken and torn arms in the air with each blast of sound.

It was…in a way...an epic moment. But then it was gone…

Turama leapt into the air, catching Arne in the throat with his jagged sword. She had been right in the middle of another cry, and Daigon would always remember how the sound had turn we, gurgling as Turama took another shot…and then another….and then another…until finally her head fell back with a wet gasp…and then off…and then to the ground with a heavy wet thud.

It was…the most bizarre thing Daigon had ever seen…that massive body going limp and collapsing in a heap.

In a just world perhaps it would have ended there…perhaps that would have been enough.

But no…Turama ordered his men to man the winches, and once there they began to crank away, the chains pulling tighter and tighter until finally, as the crowd cheered on, Arne’s body was simply pulled apart.

Thankfully little Inu-Taisho did not have to see that, for the moment Arne’s head had fallen his Father leapt upon him. Trapped within his Father’s protective embrace little Inu-Taisho tried to scream…but no sound would come out.

Daigon didn’t know what to do, or what to say. He was completely at a loss. They had to get out of here…that was for sure…but how?

Daigon looked away, his eyes focusing on the main square. Arne’s remains were strewn about like ripped paper, and the crowd continued to chant and cheer. The noise was nearly deafening, such horrid things rumbling through the air. But one sound managed to break through the collective noise, something piercing and nigh insane.

Inu-Taisho had begun to scream.

Hysterically scream at that, tears pouring from his face, flailing about as his Father picked him up and began to carry him away.

Daigon took his position at Inu-Toga’s back and watched with a overwhelming sense of helplessness as Inu-Toga, hyperventilating, eyes wide and leaking, stumbled forward like a drunkard as he tried to carry his son away from the horror behind them.

He made it….maybe halfway down the hall before his legs simply gave out, and he dropped to his knees.

Daigon said nothing, there was nothing that he could possibly say at a time like this. He was also being honest with himself…he had no sympathy for Arne, and despite himself he had taken a bit of dark pleasure in her fate.

But standing there…watching Father and son so….so…utterly destroyed…he felt the utmost sympathy for them…especially the little Inu-Taisho.

They didn’t deserve that, no one did. The two of them had loved Arne, loved her as a man loves his wife, and a child loves his mother. It was wrong…sick and vile…and for the first time in his life…Daigon simply didn’t know how to try and fix it.

Inu-Toga tried to hold it together, tried to sooth his son…but he just couldn’t.

The two clutched each other, hysterically sobbing together. Inu-Taisho had his face buried in his Father’s chest and was just SCREAMING for all he was worth.

Thankfully the hall was clear, more witnesses would have only made the situation worse. There was only Daigon…and he was at a complete loss.

He could only watch as Inu-Toga pulled his son’s head up, their faces mirror images of horror and shock. Inu-Toga pressed the marks on their foreheads together, their eyes locked together…and they remained that way for several minutes.

It was a gesture that would remain fresh in Daigon’s mind for centuries to come, and one he never quite understood.

“And so passed Arne…Lady of the West.” Daigon said.

“Why didn’t he do something?” Inuyasha asked.

A sardonic grin spread across Daigon’s face.

“Ah….that old question/accusation again….why didn’t he do something? Well…what could he do? There he was, in enemy territory, with only his young son and a handful of guards…about as many as have joined us. It had probably been over three hundred years since Inu-Toga had held a sword for anything other then the occasional light practice or ceremony. He wasn’t a fighter, despised violence actually. But he could have tried to fight yes, maybe even taken a few dozen down before he, and his son, were killed. So this one poses to you, young hanyou….just what could he do?” Daigon countered.

“…I don’t know…” Inuyasha admitted.

“And neither did the multitude of vultures that descended upon your Grandfather. Calling him weak and worthless, while in truth they didn’t have a clue what else he could have done. But that didn’t stop them of course…and even when he returned home, by then dragging a son who had come to scream the very same thing, what could he have done? His army was….laughable…oh Arne had done wonders to be sure, but at the time the East possessed the largest, most powerful, best trained military in the world. With but one call to arms Turama could have had thirty thousand demon’s ready within days, and even more in reserve. Now if Inu-Toga had ignored age, taking the very young and the very old, he might…maaaybe….have had two thousand at his disposal. Oh sure he could have drafted more….but they would have been simple civilians.” Daigon continued. “So yes…by taken all the young teen recruits, and all the old retirees, Inu-Toga could have mustered up what could have been called an army. He could have marched in for one battle…and he would have been utterly crushed beneath Turama’s boot. It would be the end of his life, his son would soon follow, the West would be merged with the East…and thus everything he held dear, everything he had worked so very hard for, your family’s entire dynasty would be gone. So…what could he do?”

Alright damn it…Inuyasha had already said he didn’t know, and for fucks sake he hadn’t even been there. So the damn healer had better stop asking. Because if this was like Sesshomaru’s stupid questionnaire when they had first come this way…he was going to beat someone, he didn’t care how bad his back hurt. He didn’t have an answer….and wasn’t in the mood to try and come up with one.

Speaking of Sesshomaru…the demon Lord had been silent for quite some time now and Inuyasha still thought it was very odd that Sesshomaru hadn’t known about any of this. Then again…in a way he could understand why their Father wouldn’t have wanted to share the story.

“…How could you enjoy something like that?” Sesshomaru asked Daigon, finally breaking his silence.

Hmm…well…Inuyasha hadn’t expected that, but he hadn’t been wondering it either. He understood it…made perfect sense to him. She royally fucked the healer over, something Inuyasha was quite familiar with, and for some reason it made Daigon feel a little more…real to him. To know there was something else beyond all the vapid, bubbly-ness of the healer.

“That is not the Daigon I know.” Sesshomaru stated.

“Correct…the Daigon of now is not the Daigon of then.” The healer replied. “But to answer your question….does the slave not ever enjoy the enslavers demise?”

“Then why not leave afterwards? Why stay? Why serve Father…and now this Sesshomaru?” Sesshomaru asked.
Daigon sighed, sounding very much like a parent who was forced to explain something tiresome to a child.

“For the same reason this one does not hate Inu-Taisho, or you, or Inuyasha. He doesn’t make a habit of blaming people for things that they had nothing to do with, and does not hold them accountable for the past actions of others.” Daigon stated. “And besides…for some reason, temporary insanity perhaps, this one had grown fond of the little Inu-runt. He as always respectful and pleasant to be around, among other good qualities. Plus there was the mater of Daigon’s stolen item, which only Arne knew the location of…and this one could not leave without it.”

“…Fair enough.” Sesshomaru grunted.

Inuyasha found himself curious as to what this item was, but he figured that there wasn’t much point in asking. Considering how Daigon was taking pains not to say its name or even describe it…he was pretty sure he wouldn’t get an answer anyway.

“And in a way…once Arne ended…the beginning of the end for Inu-Toga began to creep in as well.” Daigon continued. “However….this one found it curious that Arne herself did not face nearly as much criticism for her actions, which were mostly foolish, as Inu-Toga did for his, which although heartbreaking, were wise.”

“It’s always easy to blame the living for what happened to the dead.” Inuyasha muttered softly. He had done nothing to cause it, yet Sesshomaru had blamed him for their Father’s death for how long now?

Hell…no one had said Sesshomaru did not still blame him. He had just dropped saying it at every available opportunity.

“She chose her path as we all do…how could he have changed it after the fact?” Inuyasha declared, louder this time so that he would be heard.

Daigon gave him a thoughtful look and then nodded.

“Exactly. A little wisdom in one so young, very good, quite refreshing. But yes…Inu-Toga did everything he could, but in the end it was Arne herself who chose.” Daigon said. “ Though this one does not mean to suggest that Arne’s actions did not come under scrutiny. There were many theories, but in the end it came down to two camps. The pro-Arne camp insisted that she did it in direct result of learning of Inu-Taisho’s presence. That she could not bare to look weak in front of her son, could not bear to shame him. Something about showing strength in the end and dying on her feet. Now the more….anti-Arne, shall we say, agreed that it was Inu-Taisho’s presence that was the deciding factor in her ultimate decision. But to them….they believed that she used the opportunity to manipulate him, to drive into his head a permanent picture. To ensure that it would be her beliefs, and not that of his Father’s, that were cemented into him.”

“And why would they think that?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Well because Arne was a very selfish person. A character trait that even those who loved her could easily recognize. Plus one could factor in her and Inu-Toga’s many…many…MANY fights over how their son was being raised. Arne did not care for intellectual pursuits, and she HATED books. The fact that she couldn’t read was probably why. But she was apparently quite concerned that Inu-Taisho would grow up weak, and that if she had her way he would finally have the strength that she felt you and your family had long since lost. Basically she wanted him to firmly follow the giant Inu way…with NO exceptions. Inu-Toga countered that there was so much more to life then battle, and his son would need much more to truly lead the West. To put it simply…Arne taught Inu-Taisho how to fight…his Father taught him EVERYTHING else. Truth be told, before Arne’s death, Inu-Taisho was very much his Father’s son…afterwards though…well…Inu-Taisho changed.” Daigon replied. “That is not to say that Inu-Toga taught his son nothing about battle. But his lessons were more about strategy and tactics, about how to manage men and supplies…and so on and so forth. As far as Arne was concerned however, brute force was the only real tactic there was. You fought until one of you died, simple as that.”

Well that sounded foolish…even to Inuyasha. Granted he didn’t exactly have a broad range that he employed, but he also didn’t’ have an army or the training.

“Yet her people, and their way had lost to what I assume was his way countless times you said.” Inuyasha interjected. Daigon smirked and looked pleased.

“Correct young one.”

“So…what thoughts have you about her chosen actions?” Sesshomaru asked.

Daigon crossed his arms and rocked his head from side to side.

“Oh….a little bit of both really, and a side of the third option.” Daigon answered.

“And that was?” Inuyasha asked.

“Well…she was a warrior born and a warrior bred, nothing more. Fighting was all she knew, all she could do. Her body was her asset, and she cared little for enrichment of the mind. Yet now her body was ravaged and broken…but yes even that would heal. No…what this one thinks the final blow was…was simply her eyes. How could he fight if she could not see? It was nothing like if her eyes had just been stabbed, that could heal in time. No…they had been burst and then cauterized, something even demon flesh struggles with. Especially the eyes, which are a vulnerable spot on all creatures who possess them.” Daigon answered. “She would be helpless, unable to do much of anything herself…with all that power she possessed she was effectively crippled. Personally Daigon thinks she just couldn’t handle that, and when combined with the other two….well that was that.”

Curious…Inuyasha could help but notice that each of them, he, Sesshomaru, and their Father had all lost their mothers early on in life. He also noted that he was the youngest when said parent was taken. Figured really…even in a bad situation he had to have the shittiest end of the shit stick.

“Now it goes without saying that your Grandfather wanted revenge, wanted to fight. But he just couldn’t…not with the resources available. Rats excel as spies, if he had tried to build an army capable of matching Turama’s…well the Eastern Lord would know way in advance, and of course it would take decades to create any kind of competent army. More time meant more chances to be exposed, and one could be sure that if Turama thought for a moment that Inu-Toga was preparing to assault him he could not hesitate to bring the full force of the East’s might down like a hammer.” Daigon said. “But your Grandfather was no coward, believe that, not matter what some may still say about him remember it. He couldn’t meet Turama head on no…but he did fight…in the best way he knew how.”

“And how was that?” Inuyasha asked.

“He began to structure, organize. He began to shape the West into the economic powerhouse you now know it as. Stockpiling everything you could think of…gold, lumber, iron ore, food…you name it. He is the one who began to meet with the merchants guild, and not just from the West either, but from everywhere. He is the one who set up the market as it is, established trade with the Isles, and began to fund both the arcane arts and the sciences equally. He improved the foundry, starting the tradition of quality metalworking in the West.” Daigon informed. “He began to strengthen ties with the North, which was how Inu-Taisho and Coda first met. He was well liked and on good terms with the island peoples, Komar’s own people for instance. With a smile and his mind…he undid the damage his Father and Grandfather had brought down. Great man really…”

Inuyasha scratched at his bead, a bit puzzled, and lost his train of thought for a moment when he found a particularly nice spot behind his left ear.

Ooooh-ho…yeah….that was goood.

Wait…no…focus hanyou!

Inuyasha shook his head firmly, and kept his leg from twitching as he finished.

“Okay…t-that’s all well and good…but how is that fighting?” He asked.

“Well its like this….Inu-Toga foresaw the collapse of the East long before anyone else would have even accepted the idea. He saw how they were running through their resources at such an amazing rate. Turama and his rats grew lazy very quickly. Confident in their false sense of superiority they began to indulge themselves without a thought or a care. They threw banquet after banquet, often showing off their acquired prize of Arne’s remains, and foolishly began to devote coin and resources to tributes to themselves, giant statures and the like. Not to mention….but this one will anyway, with such a massive standing army…well that gobbles up resources as well. You must feed them, house them, keep them in good condition and equipment. That all costs dear Inuyasha, to say nothing of the fighting amongst each other, and the damage that was caused when they soon grew bored.” Daigon answered. “Then there came the simple matter of poor leadership. Turama’s boorish, bullying behavior caused the South to close up its borders…and then he attacked the North for no reason other then greed. Which was a costly mistake indeed, oh yes, and one that Inu-Toga profited from. The North may have been outnumbered, no question about that, but they were on their ground, and fought on their terms. Their army wasn’t half as large as the East’s, but their warriors were no less hardened. Nor is the North an easy please to gain entry into if they bar it, as it is well defended by both natural and manufactured barriers. Then there is the weather….cold almost all year round, with absolutely brutal winters at times, something the Eastern warriors where simply not prepared for, something their Northern counterparts had dealt with and thrived in their entire lives.”

“Yes…the East suffered great casualties even when they gained ground, and then they couldn’t hold it for very long. Had Turama thought about his actions, instead of sending wave after wave in enraged stupidity, he might have been able to minimize his losses. He realized all too late that he could not simply force his way in as he had believed. He tried to restructure, to push forward a little at a time, instead of his previous attempts to carve out large chunks at once. But the supply lines grew longer and harder to maintain by the day, and their warehouses soon began to run low. By contrast al the North really had to do was dig in their heels. They could afford to give up chunks of barren, rocky land, only to regroup and attack when the frozen, exhausted Eastern soldiers tried to catch a breath. Plus their supply line was more of a direct feed, and by contrast their losses were extremely low. Even when they did need reinforcements, they could receive them a hundred times quicker then the East could.” Daigon continued.

“Sounds like a no-win situation.” Inuyasha stated.

“Basically yes, but Turama refused to accept that. Nearly everything that could go wrong for him had, and after twenty long years….the East was scrapping the bottom of the barrel. They still had plenty of men to spare, but everything else was nearly dry. The North however was in near perfect shape, something that confounded the East to no end. How could they possibly have so much in store? The food, the weapons, the medical supplies. To the East it seemed like they has some kind of bottomless well from which to draw.” Daigon reported. “It was almost as if they had been planning for this for centuries, if not longer, a thought that must have disturbed an increasingly distraught and destructive Turama. But it was the only answer that they could come up with, after all…what else could it be?”

“Grandfather.” Sesshomaru said.

Daigon smiled mischievously.

“Oh no….not Inu-Toga…cowardly, ball-less, broken Inu-Toga. He could never, would never DARE to do such a thing.” Daigon quipped sarcastically.

For a moment Inuyasha was confused, Sesshomaru had sounded so certain, but then Daigon…wait…okay now, clearly he was missing something here.

“Of course it was Inu-Toga, but no one would have put him on the list of suspects, no one did actually. It was beautiful…Inu-Toga had taken a great negative, his slanderous, mythical profile, and turned it into a shield. No one believed that it could be him, it was never even seriously considered as a possibility.” Daigon informed. “And so the war went out…and on…and on…until finally the East’s resolve broke…and who ended up mediating the final terms at the very end? Why Inu-Toga himself.”

“So…if no one knew about it…who did you come to find out?” Inuyasha asked.

“Well because this one was involved. Someone had to deliver reports and manifests…and when you don’t want this person caught…who better to send then the wind?” Daigon replied. “There was a bit of a…backlash however. Throughout the war the public, spurred on by Arne’s fanatics, screamed for the West to get involved. But with the amount of damage the East could do to the West…Inu-Toga decided something more covert was required, and of course secrecy would be of the utmost importance. So because of that he bore the brunt of the criticism…nothing new really, but there was a LOT of it to bear.”

Inuyasha looked at Sesshomaru, he certainly couldn’t picture the elder Inu taking any shit from anyone. Especially not about how he was doing his job….then again the amount of killing Sesshomaru would probably do, in Inuyasha’s mind anyway, probably wouldn’t be a good thing either.

Course maybe in the same situation Sesshomaru would change how he acted. Hard to say really, Inuyasha didn’t have a good grasp of how Sesshomaru ran things as it was.

“Inu-Toga’s plan was…perfect. After the war the East was in shambles really, physically intact, but the rest of its infrastructure was devastated. They still had a sizable military, but nothing else. They tried to rebuild, to attract outside interests to get the ball rolling…but by that time Inu-Toga had already snapped them all up. The West had become the place to do business, and with most, if not all of the major caravans stocking up there, the West profited not only from each other, but from the other lands as well.” Daigon continued. “The North certainly wouldn’t lift a finger for them, and the South was on much better terms with the West at the time….Turama had nowhere to turn. Riots started to flare up, nothing more then hungry people lashing out at the ones who had led them to ruin really. Turama cracked down of course, with brutal efficiency at that, but it was the start. The start of everything starting to teeter. All Inu-Toga had to do was sit back and wait. He had begun to build up his on army while Turama was distracted by the North, and he was simply waiting for the right moment to strike. Even with his people starting to turn their backs on him, even with the misguided malcontents…Inu-Toga’s plant was perfect…well…except for one thing.”

“One thing?” Inuyasha asked.

“The one thing he had not accounted for, hadn’t expected….Inu-Taisho.” Daigon answered.

“Father…?” Sesshomaru muttered. “Why would Father be a problem?”

“Well….because he was beginning to believe what was being said about his Father. Oh he never said anything to his Father outright…but he did start to become something of a verbal opponent to Inu-Toga in regards to certain matters…and Inu-Toga had not included his son in his plans. Inu-Taisho was as much in the dark as anyone else.” Daigon stated.

“And why was that?” Sesshomaru asked, his voice a little heated.

“Put simply…Inu-Taisho had a big mouth. He couldn’t keep a secret to save his life back then. Plus…he still wanted to attack the East…wanted it more then anything. This one thought he should have been told at first, and was a little miffed that he was forbidden from saying anything, but after witnessing some of the arguments they had behind closed doors….he could see the wisdom in Inu-Toga’s decision.” Daigon replied. “Of course his hatred was well deserved, not only because of what he had seen as a boy, but because of what the east had done with his Mother’s body.”

“Do I even want to know?” Inuyasha asked meekly.

“Well when a demon passes on their body eventually returns to its true form, a week or so mostly.” Daigon responded.

“Yes I know this.” Sesshomaru said, earning a snort from Inuyasha. HE hadn’t known that. Sure he had seen his Father’s massive skeleton in the pearl behind his eye, but he hadn’t known anything about changing back or whatever.

Come to think of it….how in the world had someone gotten the old man’s crypt into something like that…and how did they put it in his head?

And why? Why the fuck was HE the guardian of the old man’s tomb?

Fucked up…that’s what it was….why couldn’t they jam crap into Sesshomaru’s head for someone to rip out later.

Asshole….that had fucking hurt!

“Well…once Arne had reverted…Turama had her skinned and de-boned. From that he displayed her pelt in his throne room and had parts of her skeleton, particularly her skull, built into the room itself.”

Okay…Ew….that was just fucking morbid and…and….fucked up…seriously.

“Now once Inu-Taisho saw that during a mandatory gathering in the East a year before the East’s war with the North…there was just no reasoning with him after that.” Daigon continued.

“One can hardly blame him.” Sesshomaru half growled.

“Mm…well no, but it did lead to problems between Father and Son. Inu-Toga tried to make your Father understand, tried to tell him that they would have their vengeance before long. But Inu-Taisho couldn’t see it, and refused to listen to his Father.” Daigon said. “He had been an intellectual child when he entered his teens, but after Arne’s death, and throughout his teens, Inu-Taisho became increasingly martial…and aggressive. It came to the point where dealing with him became a full time job, one that made ruling the West increasingly difficult. So…after several years of unruly Inu-prince, Inu-Toga ended up giving his son a small detachment just to keep him occupied.”

“Yes…Father did speak of his time as a bandit-hunter in his younger years.” Sesshomaru stated.

“Mm…that was what it became yes…buuut not quite what it started out as.” Daigon informed. “Originally about all we ever did were drills and whatever little mission, and Daigon uses that word very loosely, that Inu-Taisho dragged us out on. Mind you…out of all two hundred and twelve missions Inu-Taisho came up with, all but one were complete bunk. Because even though he had hardened considerably….your Father was still a child at the time, and thus still possessed a child’s heart. As such…he would believe almost every tale of monsters or legendary treasure that made its way into his ears….and then drag us along for it.”

“Well that sounds like it could be an issue.” Inuyasha stated. He didn’t know for sure, but anytime his group wandered off for whatever reason Kagome came up with, they tended to get into trouble. Trouble that he had to bust his ass to get them out of.

“Oh not really.” Daigon replied. “Inu-Toga did not have much of a problem with it. It got his son out of his hair, and Inu-Taisho wasn’t really causing any harm…and he desperately needed something to do. It did become a little tiresome for us yes, excluding your Father there were but ten all together, because it was mostly walking from one corner of the West to another…but sometimes Inu-Taisho would get so excited about something, and it was a pleasure to see him smile again.”

“I imagine that smile disappeared when the trip proved fruitless.” Sesshomaru stated.

“Oh yes….oh ho….he would get so angry. He would curse and swear up and down that he would never be taken in again. Of course next week we would be off on another trip….” Daigon replied. “We did find a chest full of gems once, of course it was twenty feet down in the muck and mess of one very nasty swamp. Place stunk in ways this one can not even begin to describe. Hardly seemed worth it at the time.”

“I can imagine.” Sesshomaru remarked dryly.

“No…it was no until our trip to Mount Fuji in search of…some magical spear or some such thing. On that day we were ambushed.”

“I hate when that happens.” Inuyasha grumbled, to which Daigon chuckled and smirked at him.

“Don’t we all child….especially when you are bored out of your mind one minute, not expecting anything more then mosquitoes to appear, to being attacked the next minute. Then add in the fact that your commander is only a boy who had never even seen real combat outside of sparing and national tournaments and is not NEARLY as ready for it as he thinks he is. Oh it was a disaster…plain and simple.” Daigon continued. “We lost four right off the bat. They tried yes, but they were completely unprepared, didn’t even have their armor on. It was sad…we lost five more as the second half of the bandit troop blindsided us again as their first detachment drove us back. They were good men…they really were. But like your Father they were young and inexperienced, and real battle was nothing like their fantasies at all. So towards the end only three of us remained. Daigon, a very young Garith, and Inu-Taisho himself. Poor Inu-Taisho….he didn’t know what to do, and this one and Garith had to practically carry him away to keep him from getting himself killed. It would have been eleven on twenty had we been prepared, not great odds but not the worst one can have…but we lost too many too quickly. All we could do was retreat….but unfortunately we ended up pinned in a narrow valley. No way out but the way we came…it seriously looked like it would be the last stand of Inu-Taisho and his little brigade this one must admit.” Daigon reported.

“Well it obviously wasn’t.” Inuyasha stated. He and Sesshomaru wouldn’t be in existence if it had been after all. “So what did you do?”

Daigon shrugged, a rather odd gesture all things considered.

“Technically nothing….something like four arrows got under Inu-Taisho’s armor near the belly, he had removed one of the plates, complaining that it made it too hard to bend, and like a dunce he pulled them right out…ripping a nice large hole in his belly.” Daigon replied. “Damn near bled to death….and of course he panicked.”

Sesshomaru snorted, obviously not liking the sound of that, but before he could say anything Daigon pressed on.

“Regardless of what you like Sesshomaru….yes your young Father did panic when four bolts of steel and wood were buried in his belly, and it only intensified when a large hole was torn out, slicing up his flesh and innards.”
Sesshomaru might have been upset at it, but the tale made Inuyasha feel a little smug. He had had a hole PUNCHED right through his body, and he hadn’t lost it. Course he had been a little too busy trying not to die or pass out then die, to focus on anything else.

“So how did you get out?” Inuyasha asked, a little annoyed at basically having to repeat himself.

“Inu-Taisho.” Daigon answered. “Not only was he wounded, but when Garith moved to engage our approaching attackers, he slipped in his own blood and ended up cracking his skull on a rock. Which in a bizarre way is what saved us.”

“What? Did they die laughing or something?” Inuyasha grunted.

“No child…” Daigon responded humorously. “The trauma nearly killed young Inu-Taisho….and it was just enough to cause his youkai to go absolutely berserk. It was…sickeningly brutal….as he just….shredded them to pieces. He was little more then a wounded animal at the time, and a vicious one at that. He didn’t kill them all, but he got damn close….and the only reason he didn’t is because he passed out from blood loss. And that there marked our first encounter with the various cutthroats out in the world…and the first time this one witnessed the power lurking inside one Inu-Taisho.”

Inuyasha would have laughed at the change that went over Sesshomaru if he didn’t think he’d end up paying for it somehow. It was like the moment he heard that the old man had kicked ass, a little switch was thrown out of sulk mode.

It never failed to amuse Inuyasha, how touchy Sesshomaru was about their Father and the things he had done.

“After that was the start of Inu-Taisho’s bandit crusade…after he recovered that was.” Daigon informed. “Well…recovered and got his Father to allow him to leave the castle once again.”

“Took a while did it?” Inuyasha asked. Daigon nodded.

“Can’t blame him really, lost his mate, and then almost lost his baby boy….only normal to try and protect. Till Inu-Taisho drove him so batty that he practically threw him out the gates anyway…”

Sesshomaru hummed in his throat before he spoke.

“Father’s exploits against the bandits and thieves that had plagued our lands are well known.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes again. Not by him they weren’t….he knew next to nothing about his Father. But if that was some kind of signal for Daigon to skip that part then…whatever.

“He gathered quite a following from what I understand.” Sesshomaru stated, to which Daigon nodded once more.

“Indeed he did…what a pain it was though…ugh.”

“Why’s that?” Inuyasha asked.
Daigon sighed and interlaced his fingers on the top of his head.

“Well first you have to understand that your Father was one lucky little Inu-bastard. Seriously….he would do things that never, EVER should have worked. Yet somehow….someway….he would pull it off.” Daigon replied. “He’s got the luck of nine devils we used to say. This one can not even begin to tell you how many times Inu-Taisho would pull some…boneheaded stunt that in any sane world should have resulted in a painful death, only to survive and gain victory. He should have died at least a thousand times from all the stupid ideas he would come up with in the first three years alone…luck of nine devils is all this one can say.”

“Really?” Inuyasha mused. “And I thought the old man was supposed to be smart or something…”

Sesshomaru opened his mouth to butt in, but Daigon beat him to it.

“Well he was…mostly. Inu-Taisho was a superb fast thinking, but something of a poor slow thinker. That and he was crazy…”

“Uh…kay?” Inuyasha muttered.

“We used to say…” Daigon continued as he pointed out into the distance. “There goes Inu-Taisho….the most brilliant idiot you’ll ever see.”

Inuyasha couldn’t help but laugh at that, especially when the outraged protest spilled out of Sesshomaru.

“Well it alternated actually…if not that then the dumbest genius, or the most intelligent fool…or something in the ballpark.” Daigon informed. “ Now Daigon loved Inu-Taisho, he was a great man, and a lot of fun to be around…but sometimes…ugh…one just wanted to strangle him to death. Because if he wasn’t trying to get himself killed then chances were he was trying to get YOU killed.”

“And yet here you are.” Sesshomaru stated gruffly.

“This one did say trying to.” Daigon countered. “But yes, as Sesshomaru has said this was the time that Inu-Taisho began to gain a following. After a period of time men started to join your Father’s regiment nearly everyday. He was being touted as a true hero before too long, nothing at all like his cowardly Father, one who actually dealt with problems instead of running from them. Of course that wasn’t true at all, Inu-Taisho had been working on the problem for years, difference was he couldn’t put himself out there like Inu-Taisho could, he had other responsibilities after all. In actuality Inu-Toga was responsible for more bandit deaths then Inu-Taisho ever was. But he was always very discreet about it…he didn’t march through the square with blood dripping off of his blade like his son would. He was very low-key and discreet. That was the main difference between the two….when Inu-Taisho did something you could see it immediately, he was too bombastic for the results not to reach you. But when Inu-Toga did something…well even when you saw the effect most of the time you wouldn’t connect it with something he did. Very few people knew of the extent of Inu-Toga’s actions other then the man himself. That’s just how he was….”

Inuyasha chewed lightly on the inside of his cheek, rolling the information around in his head. He was more of a go to guy himself, so it was kind of nice to learn that he and his Father had something in common.

“Of course with all that going on it, and everything that had already happened, it wasn’t long before the young Inu-Taisho was much more popular then his Father. Now normally that shouldn’t have been a problem, but more and more Inu-Taisho began to interfere with his Father’s business.” Daigon continued.

“He went against his Lord?” Sesshomaru asked, his tone hard and disbelieving.

“Not…not quite like you may be thinking. You see….after Arne’s death…well your Father had taken to drinking…a lot, and when he was drunk….well his mouth would run.” Daigon answered. “And he didn’t drink by himself usually, oh no….not only would he have all his men there with him, but he would also be in the biggest tavern in the center of town…which would be packed with as many citizens as could fit. So when loud, boisterous Inu-Taisho began running his mouth about things his Father was doing, and what he thought about it….a lot of people would hear it…and word would travel fast.”

“With the usual embellishments I assume?” Sesshomaru muttered.

“Oh but of course.” Daigon responded. “Before too long it was widely believed in by the public that there was some kind of power struggle between the two. Not true in the slightest of course, disagreements none withstanding there was no one more loyal to Inu-Toga then his son. Problem was your Father never paid much attention to what was being said, and your Grandfather treated it like any of other rumor about himself.”

“I would never tolerate such a thing.” Sesshomaru stated flat out.

Inuyasha chuckled lightly…somehow that wasn’t all that surprising. But he mostly agreed, letting rumors fester never led to anything good. So unless you weren’t going to be there very long it was best to handle it as quick as you could. Then again…sometimes the best way to handle it was to leave it alone….

“And the situation only became worse when Inu-Taisho began to unwittingly put himself into very delicate situations, and his increased liquor consumption did not help matters in the slightest.” Daigon said.

“Fan of the cup was he?” Inuyasha wondered aloud. Daigon pursed his lips and answered.

“To put it in perspective…for a period of years, we will say age 18 to 23, your Father basically drank every. Single. Day.”

Inuyasha blinked.

“You’re kidding?”

“Oh ho…Daigon wishes he was.”

“How could anyone live like that?”

“This one asked himself the very same question more then once. Somehow he did it.” The healer reported. “Now you can see how that might just become a problem. SO add in the fact that, like his mother before him your Father became known as the true power in the West. The one with all the muscle, and the mind to use it. At first Inu-Toga didn’t’ seem to mind, he had dealt with it with Arne and seemed to feel that he could easily handle things with his own son. Plus he was pleased that your Father had such a good relationship with their people…and he really did. Your Father probably spent more time out in the people then he did with his own Father during those years. He didn’t’ even sleep in the castle for fifteen years. He as always out and about, wandered around the market and foundry a lot, if we were not out in the countryside somewhere that was.”

Now that was something Inuyasha could totally relate to. He had never really stayed in one spot very long his entire life. Too dangerous in his case…and he wasn’t really welcome anywhere anyway.

“He was quite the topic of conversation as well…especially in the warmer months when he tended to go bare-chested all the time….this one always thought he just enjoyed showing off.” Daigon added.

For some reason Inuyasha got a mental picture of a half naked, drunken man stumbling around. Boy all this new information was certainly chipping away at the image of his Father that had been put into his head long ago.

Not that he had ever held the man in high opinion though, Inuyasha never even knew him after all.

“And when he wasn’t’ doing that he generally wore those bright red robes of his. Which was actually kind of nice, made him real easy to spot. Tended to be the only way to locate him as he was leaping around trying to get himself killed. Just look for the red speck…” Daigon continued.

“Red robes?” Inuyasha puzzled aloud.

“Fire rat if this one isn’t mistaken. He preferred it to steel armor after the bandit attack. Didn’t have quite the same durably, but was allowed for much greater ease of movement, and the fireproofing was a plus for him. Your Father had a tendency to catch fire…we don’t know how…but if it could spit or throw fire…sure enough Inu-Taisho would be ablaze.”
Sesshomarus hook his head and chuckled softly, something that Inuyasha didn’t expect at all.

“Yes…he did mention his aversion to Kitsune flame on occasion.” Sesshomaru reported.

Still…the more Inuyasha thought about it the more it bothered him.

Fire rat robes….

He had known that the old man had given them to his mother, but he had not known that the clothing he had grown up in, that had protected him and been one of his very few worldly possessions had also been worn by his Father.

And he had lost them….now he felt even worse….

He did have to wonder how they had shrunk to fit him if his Father, a reportedly very large man, had worn them as well. But he dismissed the thought after only a moment. They had grown with him after all, nothing said that they couldn’t go in reverse.

“So anyways….this one believes Inu-Toga did mind, perhaps thinking that his son would not suffer the same unwarranted criticisms that he had. However things began to become strained when visitors to the West approached Inu-Taisho instead of his Father. Even worse when Inu-Taisho would make some odd, drunken declaration or agree to some deal that his Father would have to undo sometime down the line. Such as when Inu-Taisho declared a number of villages no longer had to pay taxes, which of course they took to heart…and when the collectors showed up…well they were not met warmly and somehow it was Inu-Toga who gained the negative light. Then of course he would have to speak to his son about it….which never went well at all. Many times Inu-Taisho wouldn’t even remember, he as a headstrong person as it was and didn’t always think before he spoke. Those times never all that enjoyable….but the paled in comparison to when Inu-Toga overruled or refused something your Father really wanted or believed in.” Daigon continued. “It would have been best if they had just sat down and talked….but for some reason they never could be brought together, and when one could get Inu-Taisho to sit still long enough for a discussion it only ended up being an extremely tense situation. Instead of anything constructive your Father tended to be snide, wouldn’t stay long, and would hit the nearest tavern as soon as he got out the door. His wanderlust was starting to become a problem, he wouldn’t even stay in ONE room for more then a handful of minutes. He absolutely refused to sit still…and became enormously hostile it anyone tried to make him. About the only time he would stay in one place for any length of time would be the tavern of course…and then he would drink, and drink, and drink, and drink….until he finally hit that certain level of drunkenness that would shut off his brain and ramp up his mouth. Then of course the next day he wouldn’t remember any of it, and it would all start up again. So you can see how after a few years of such behavior it became easy for the rumors of bad blood and hatred to be taken in.”

Inuyasha scratched his head, all of this certainly didn’t fit the picture Myoga had painted for him. Though maybe the flea hadn’t known? Or was it one of those -what the hanyou doesn’t know wont hurt him deals-

But then it also seemed like Sesshomaru hadn’t heard any of this before and that actually bothered the hanyou a little. Why wouldn’t the old man have told his first born about his younger years?

Inuyasha had always wondered why Sesshomaru was the way he was, and now he was starting to wonder if the old man had something to do with it all. Some kind of trauma perhaps? Something Sesshomaru didn’t want to remember or just acted like it hadn’t happened?

Inuyasha didn’t have a clue.

“Again…it wasn’t that Inu-Taisho was REALLY against his Father or anything like that. He didn’t really seem to realize what he was doing. It truth he was just a damaged child struggling to find not only his place in life, but also to try and cope with that horrific day. He lived so hard in the moment so he wouldn’t have to think about the past, or even consider the future.” Daigon continued. “Yet for all he did he could never truly forget, and that ate away at him. Of course he had long since decided how he would deal wit it…he would wash it away with blood. But his Father would not let him and Inu-Taisho didn’t understand why he was held on the leash like he was, it disturbed and disgusted him. Hence the conflict.”

“Grandfather should have told him.” Sesshomaru said softly.

Daigon pursed his lips and rocked his head from side to side once more.

“Perhaps…perhaps not. Your Father may very well have baulked anyway. He wanted retribution now…not ten, twenty years from now. Every single year he would officially petition his Father, and every single year Inu-Toga would deny him.” Daigon informed. “So Inu-Taisho took out his rage and frustration on the bandits and thieves and any other person he felt deserved his wrath. It was curious really…the harder he crushed them, the more brutal he became….the more the people loved him. Daigon never really understood that, but he can not argue with results…the ones that managed to survive or that were simply missed became far too frightened to rear their heads to the light of day.”

Inuyasha watched as Sesshomaru quirked a barely noticeable smile. It was so minute that you could barely see that his expression had changed, and even then you would wonder if you had seen it at all.

Not for the first time Inuyasha wondered why Sesshomaru did that. He was tempted to ask actually, but knowing Sesshomaru he wouldn’t answer and Inuyasha didn’t want to interrupt Daigon.

“Now this went on for years and years until one day, a little over a week before the 150th year anniversary of Arne’s death. We were camped out on the hills near the West/East wall and by we Daigon means Inu-Taisho and his garrisons. Your Father had about eight hundred men under his command at that point. This one remembers waking up early that morning to find Inu-Taisho surprisingly awake, and sober. Your Father was many things….but an early riser was NOT one of them.” Daigon chuckled. “Anyways….Inu-Taisho is standing up on the top of the highest peak, full battle regalia, sword on his hip, the works. And he’s looking out over the wall….just staring off into the distance…and at the moment it was as if all the sounds of the world just went silent. No wind, no birds, even the collective snoring of the men vanished. Daigon approached and once he got about five feet from Inu-Taisho….your Father turned his head and said…..”

“We are going East.”

Daigon’s voice changed for a split second and Sesshomaru jumped slightly. The elder Inu shook his head slightly and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“Your powers of mimicry never cease to unnerve Daigon.” Sesshomaru grumbled.

Mimicry?

So…was that what the old man sounded like? Inuyasha wasn’t sure he had ever heard his Father’s voice before, but it had been so quick he hadn’t been able to get a good hold on it to be able to replay it in his mind.

“Daigon tried to talk him out of it of course, not only because his Father has explicitly forbidden it only a few days prior, but also because the bulk of Turama’s army still resided in or near the capital. It was not the force it had once been that was true, but it would still be us, a scant eight hundred, against thousands. Of course Inu-Taisho paid Daigon no heed. He simply called his men to rise and ready themselves and in a few hours we were on the move.” Daigon continued. “It goes without saying that the handful of guards on the eastern side of the gate were slaughtered before they could even react and really….that set the tone of what was much more then a little excursion.”

“So…you weren’t supposed to go…but you did anyway?” Inuyasha asked.

It would seem to him that if no one else went then the old man couldn’t really go, unless he wanted to go alone….which was what Inuyasha himself would probably do if in the same situation.

Hard to judge though.

Daigon shrugged, not really arguing with Inuyasha’s unsaid reasoning.

“The bulk of Inu-Taisho’s men were loyal to him and him alone. They believed most of the rumors, even if they never mentioned it to him, and they loved your Father. Those of us who knew the true story went because Inu-Taisho would need us…if only to drag him back home half dead.” Daigon answered. “Your Father was one of the first nobles in modern history to actually fight alongside his men. Not just sitting in the back giving orders, not leaping in and out of the thick of it like Arne. No…Inu-Taisho was right at your side, fighting, killing, bleeding, saving your live….his attitude in battle won him much loyalty. But back to the story at hand….getting to the capital was much easier then anyone could have predicted. We didn’t lose a single man on our march. Of course the battles before then could hardly even be called that, all we really encountered were simple patrols, only a few men to each team. Which most took as a blessing until they actually thought about it, and realized that it probably mean that their main force was, in a sense, waiting for us. Now as it turned out the border guards whom Inu-Taisho had killed to prevent us from being revealed had still managed to do so from the grave. Turama had ordered them to report everyday, and failing to do so meant the east was being invaded.”

“It is not paranoia if people really are plotting against you.” Sesshomaru supplied.
Inuyasha couldn’t help but chuckle at that. Something told him Sesshomaru might have had intimate knowledge of being called paranoid.

“Well sure enough when we did finally reach a good vantage position….all we could see was a teeming mass of demons waiting for us. Inu-Taisho cautioned to pull back, that his Mother would not want him to die like what was sure to happen if he tried to attack so many with so few, that no one really even knew it was us at this point…we could leave and still have deniability. But Inu-Taisho had a plan….or what he called a plan anyway. Because although there was a gigantic force awaiting us they were hardly organized and ready. Nor did they know where we were, who we were, or where we were approaching from. They were in a scramble, trying to figure out what weak point an unknown force of unknown size would try to punch in on, which was something of an advantage for us. They also undoubtedly thought we were much larger then we were.” Daigon continued. “Inu-Taisho figured that they would expect us to try and approach the castle from the rear, as it was only protected by a high, thick wall and a few archers positions. That and we would approach just before sunrise….in short the classic attack plan. Well Inu-Taisho…being crazy, using reason this one never could hope to understand, decides that no, we will not be attacking the weakest point….instead we would attack the strongest point…right up the middle. To top that off we would do it at high noon, when the sun was highest. Apparently he reasoned that it would be so unexpected that we would be in before they could shift positions again, and that by waiting until later in the day they would perhaps drop their guard a little by beginning to question whether we were even there.”

“And?” Inuyasha asked after several minutes of silence from the healer. As far as plans went that one didn’t sound all that hot to him.

“It worked.” The healer answered.

“You’re kidding?” Inuyasha quipped. But Daigon shook his head.

“Luck of nine devils…..if anyone else had tried something like it we would have all ended up dead…but somehow Inu-Taisho could get away with things like that. Almost as if his insanity and genius level stupidity was enough to make the universe go…what the fuck? And bam! Reality should shift and make whatever he was trying to pull work. We did lose a few men to be sure, nothing could have prevented that. But after Inu-Taisho hammered down the main gate…well that was that….we were in.” Daigon explained. “Of course we were also trapped between the army inside the castle and the rest of the eastern hoard. But this one doesn’t’ think that concerned your Father in the slightest. He was in, and knowing him, hadn’t even thought of an exit strategy yet. Probably just figured he would think of it when he got there…if he even thought that far. As it was he was thundering his way towards Turama.”

Well that made sense to Inuyasha, the single-minded target that was. He knew he got like that most of the time, got bitched at enough for it enough that it had become hard to ignore.

“Now at the same time this is all going on Inu-Toga was racing his way after us, with the whole western army in tow. Daigon doesn’t know how he found out…messenger….letter….wind…comet….who knows? Maybe the same actions from Inu-Taisho that caused the universe’s brain to hurt snapped back and shoved a -your son is being stupid- message into his head. Either way he did find out, and off he went.” Daigon said.

“Which would bring him face to face with the army Father had sealed outside.” Sesshomaru supplied.

“Yep.” Daigon chirped. “But we didn’t know that at the time, all we knew was that our leader was pounding down the castle doors while we were mopping up the few soldiers unlucky enough to be trapped in with us. When Inu-Taisho finally smashed down the wall to the inner grounds this one and Garith barely had time to jump in after him before he took off again. It was a blood bath…Inu-Taisho ripped right through anyone that got in front of him…he didn’t even look at most of them, until he finally had Turama pinned in his throne room.”

“I am somewhat surprised that he did not attempt to flee.” Sesshomaru admitted.

“Oh he did.” Daigon reported. “But he had to gather up his family first, and this one believes that he did not believe that anyone could possibly get so far. Also his throne room was actually something of a panic room. Reinforced walls and door, among other fortifications to keep out the unwanted. It actually gave Inu-Taisho quite a bit of trouble….”

“Arrrarhh!” Inu-Taisho roared as he slammed into the massive door again and again. The entire frame rattled slightly, but otherwise didn’t budge.

Drawing back he pounded on it with both hands, raining sledgehammer blow after sledgehammer blow upon it.

But still it would not cave.

“Inu-Taisho! For the sake of the gods! Control yourself!” Daigon shouted from somewhere behind him.

“TURAMA!!!” Inu-Taisho bellowed. “Face me you Rat fuck!!”

His thick muscles bulging to the point his clothing was starting to rip Inu-Taisho took to the massive door with his claws, straight knife-handing right into the reinforced wood. Daigon winced, knowing full well that the force behind each jab was more then enough to not only break the Inu-prince’s fingers…but in fact snap them right off.

If Inu-Taisho cared in the slightest his behavior didn’t show it. He screamed in frustration at being so close yet still not having his pray and dug into the door harder, even rattling the gigantic door with a head butt as he was unable to gain some kind of hand hold.

“Well if you’re gonna do something you better do it!” Garith shouted. “Its not going to take long before someone hears him! We’re gonna have a fucking crowd here and we’re cut off from the rest!”

“I know that!” Daigon snapped. “Inu-Taisho! Damn it!”

Bam! Bam! Bam! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM!

Again and again Inu-Taisho drove his fists into the door, screaming threats and obscenities with such volume it made Daigon’s ears ache.
Such rage…it was downright terrifying.

And what was more…the door was starting to give. Quaking and bowing under the force of Inu-Taisho’s blows.

Daigon couldn’t believe it, but as he ducked to avoid a piece of the subject of Inu-Taisho’s desperation that was chucked his way he couldn’t help but believe the Inu-brat was actually going to do it.

Shoving his hands into the small hole he had ripped in the door Inu-Taisho began to try to pull it open with forceful, full bodied yanks.

Daigon heard the steel bars that sat in the door began to groan and bend. There had to be over two dozen of them, each running the full length of the giant door and into the solid stone of the wall.

Crunch! Crack! C-Crraaack!

Wood and bits of metal were just flying off the door as Inu-Taisho slammed into the door with his entire body to shove it forward, and then surged backward with all his weight and strength. It would take an army to open such a door…and Inu-Taisho was damn close to doing it all on his own.

“Gods on high…” Garith whispered as he watched.

Daigon was inclined to agree.


Hnn…had Inuyasha been there he would have just used the Wind Scar to get the damn thing open, but apparently the old man didn’t have the sword at that time.

Inuyasha ran his fingers along the hilt of his Fang and wondered when his Father had had it made, and just where he got the idea for it.

There weren’t many weapons out there like his own, and that made Inuyasha wonder. His Fang was special yes…but what made it so?

Was it what it was made from, or did it have something to do with the one who had made it? Or maybe both?

Just what did that crazy old hermit do that made his blades different from others?

It didn’t have anything to do with the current story no, but it was something Inuyasha was curious about.

“Now what happened next is a mixture of guess work, a few scrapes of information that Inu-Taisho gave up, and a quick study of the aftermath….” Daigon said.


C-C-C-CRRRAAAACCCCK!

Against all odds the door gave way with an earsplitting noise, and before Daigon could even move Inu-Taisho surged through and slammed shut the door he had just forced open.

“Damn it Inu-Taisho!” Daigon shouted as he pounded on the door with his left hand. “You’re going to get yourself killed! Why do you have to…argh!”

Daigon jumped back as something heavy drove into the door, actually piercing it and barring it solidly. On closer inspection he almost couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

One of Arne’s fangs…Inu-Taisho had just barred
the door with one of his Mother’s own teeth. It was…bizarre and sickening…but then again if he remembered the intelligence reports, the throne room was supposedly where Turama was keeping Arne’s skull.
“Well…what do we do now Mr. Second in command?” Garith asked sarcastically.

“How about I use your head to open it?” Daigon shot back.

Mouthy little runt really needed to learn some manners…

___________________________________________________ _____________________

Inu-Taisho grinned in spite of his injured hands as he turned a corner and saw his prey.

Huddled around the throne like the scared little rodents they were stood Turama, his stupid mate, his eldest son Ifrika, second son Kagar, first daughter Ira, third son Gar, second daughter Teena and the little toddler shit machine Enyon.

Eight rats, one Inu.

Five men and three women.

Inu-Taisho cracked his neck, then his shoulders, then his elbows, and finally his knuckles, working everything loose for the violence that was about to occur.

Turama stepped in front of his family, drawing his sword with a sour look on his face. Unable to help himself Inu-Taisho grinned wider, baring his teeth.

He barked, a sharp booming noise that caused the rats to jump, and the younger ones to frantically look for an exit.

He barked again, mostly to keep himself from laughing.

“Eight little rats caught in a cage…” Inu-Taisho growled as his eyes roamed upwards, spotting his Mother’s giant skull sitting above Turama’s throne like some kind of fucking trophy.

“Oh…this is going to be so sweet…”

“And he killed them all.” Daigon reported direly. “Everyone but Enyon, who was still just a child. All who were of age perished by Inu-Taisho’s hands. So…you asked young hanyou, why Enyon hates your family. It is because your Father ripped through his entire family right in front of his eyes in revenge for his own Mother’s death and desecration.”

Inuyasha blinked….

“Damn.” He whispered.

Brutal…but he couldn’t say with any surety that he would have done it any different.

“We could hear the fighting at first, Garith and Daigon, and then the screams…it lasted a little under an hour…then all grew so quiet. Moments later Inu-Taisho’s voice came through the door, ordering us to regroup with the main force and that he would follow soon. We obeyed of course…what other choice did we have?” Daigon said. “Now…while all this was going on Inu-Toga was just reaching the main gate….”

Daigon scrambled down the steps, wondering why there were so fucking many and just what dumb-ass architect came up with idea.

“Regroup with the rest….stupid, pushy brat…” He grumbled under his breath.

CRASH!

Daigon jumped slightly as the sound of something large and very heavy hitting the ground reached him.

“Now what?” He grumbled.

Then it hit him…the walls…they had knocked down one of the walls!

That wasn’t good…if the men outside had opened the area up their own little force would be overwhelmed in a matter of minutes. But perhaps if it were only a portion…if they had a bottleneck to dig into then they could fend off a much larger force as their numbers wouldn’t be able to flood.

Unless of course they brought down another wall.

All in all…big fucking if.

KA-WHUMP!

Daigon turned his head towards the sound that he could only describe as sounding like a mountain hitting a pile of bodies just in time to actually see a pile of living Eastern bodies go flying as Inu-Toga literally exploded into the area.

Daigon could hear horns blaring in the air steadily now, and realized that he recognized them. Those were Western signals…

As more men flooded in behind Inu-Toga, who was skillfully slicing his way through anything Eastern that got in front of him, Daigon was jolted with the realization that it wasn’t the Eastern army that was driving down walls and forcing their way in…it was the Western one.

Catching an attackers wrists and hip-tossing him down a well Daigon marched towards Inu-Toga, and while he was convinced that the Western Lord had never been much of a fighter…he had to admit that the man was doing a damn fine job of it right now.

Inu-Toga was slicing his way through the opposition in a frantic, near crazed way, undoubtedly fearing that the same fate that befell his mate would happen to his son.

And it went without saying he wasn’t about to let that happen.

Of course with one or more of the walls down, Daigon couldn’t really tell, the area had opened up…and Eastern troops were getting in just in front of the large staircase that he had just come down.

Still…with a resolved will Daigon forced his way to Inu-Toga’s side, and the moment the Lord of the West laid eyes upon him there was but one question upon his lips.

“Where is my son!?”

Flattening some random Eastern solider with a back elbow Daigon signaled the stairs, and much to his displeasure the elder Inu immediately took off that way. Which meant he was going to have to climb all those stairs again…joy…

But just as the two of the reached the foot of the stairway the giant armored doors literally blew off their hinges and went sailing through the air…and out came Inu-Taisho.

Only seconds later a roar that could split the very sky tore out of him, loud enough to cause the rock of the castle to tremble…and loud enough to make Daigon’s ears ring.

Everyone always said Inu-Taisho had a lot of heart…personally Daigon thought he had a lot of mouth to go with that. He was a little surprised that the whole place just didn’t topple from that.

He wasn’t the only one either as everyone stopped.
Everyone.

Either surprised or curious or whatever…all the fighting ceased, and all attention turned towards the young Inu-Taisho.

It would have been comical to Daigon any other time, people trying desperately to kill each other one minute only to stop and stand next to one another, dumbfounded staring at some point the next.

But you couldn’t just ignore it that was for sure.

It wasn’t just the sound either, the sight of Inu-Taisho helped greatly as well.

The Inu-prince was bare-chested, the armor that he had worn destroyed and torn away. He had large, bloody gashes covering his face and body and the top of his fire rat robe was tied around his waist from the sleeves.

Now a half-naked, torn up, blood demon prince was a pretty striking sight all around, but slung across his shoulders was Arne’s spear. The very same spear that Inu-Toga had given her as a mating gift. The very same spear that had led to her walking into the trap all those years ago.

Daigon’s eyes were drawn to the many large metal rings around the shaft of Arne’s spear, rings that he knew could be tightened or loosened to be removed completely. He never knew what they were for to be honest…but hanging form those rings were the heads of the Eastern royal family.

Turama, his mate, Ifrika, Kagar, Ira, Gar, Teena…all arranged from oldest to youngest…only the child, Enyon, head was absent.

Only Enyon was spared, after all…Inu-Taisho would not kill a child.

Slowly Inu-Taisho came down to the first step and sat down. With his mother’s spear sat on his shoulders, and his own, now broken sword across his chest he just sat there, looking out over all of them.

Then he held up Arne’s spear and let out that booming Inu war bark…and then it was over.

“Over? What do you mean over?” Inuyasha asked.

“It was like…all the fight went out of Turama’s men…they just stopped fighting, and as a result so did we.” Daigon answered.

Before long Inu-Taisho came down the steps, each one taking slowly, deliberately.

“You…all of you…retrieve my mother’s remains…” Inu-Taisho ordered a group of his men.

“Uh…y-yes sire!”

Daigon himself felt a little dumbstruck, a little bit in shock, and he would never forget the look on Inu-Toga’s face when his son walked right past him without a word, without even looking at him.

That puzzled Daigon greatly, but at the same time…from the look on Inu-Taisho’s face…he wasn’t even sure the prince realized his Father was there.

As Inu-Taisho’s men began the careful task of bringing Arne’s bones out, little Enyon hurled himself out of the darkness and drove into the back of Inu-Taisho’s left leg.

Screaming…screaming…screaming….cursing Inu-Taisho, cursing them all.

Vengeance he swore…vengeance upon them all.

But Inu-Taisho just looked amused.

With a simple swing of his arm he hauled the rat-child up by the throat. Enyon kept screaming at him, only to be silenced by a booming bark right in his face.

“If you’re still all sore about it…come look me up when you’re older.” Inu-Taisho snarled. “You can sit next to big sister.”

Callously he shook the heads in front of Enyon’s face, who looked very much like he would vomit any moment now, and tossed the child to the ground.

Before Enyon could react further several of his attendants appeared and quickly hauled him away.

And with that…Inu-Taisho walked away.

“They didn’t try to stop you?” Inuyasha asked. He had a hard time believing that. He didn’t care who died, he would fight until he couldn’t’ fight any longer.

“There were a few little skirmishes to be honest, but nothing of any concern.” Daigon replied. “They no longer had a leader, and after so much time, compiled with the men we had slain on our way in, Inu-Toga’s army rivaled their own. Plus…they were frightened of your Father, of the seemingly insane Inu who had punched right through the best army in the world to kill his targets. Myths and start quickly, and ones about your Father and his deadly power spread through the East like wildfire.”

“And the legend grew.” Sesshomaru muttered.

Daigon nodded and fell silent.

Inuyasha pondered the story, which had been much longer and much more brutal then he had expected. He could certainly understand Enyon’s hatred, but he couldn’t really feel bad for him.

Not that Enyon had anything to do with what had happened with their Grandmother, but Inuyasha still felt that the old man was justified in his revenge.

Then again…right in front of the kid…probably not the best move.

But…well who cared? It was past, and his Father’s past at that. Had nothing to do with him after all.

“So…what happened after that?” Inuyasha asked. “I mean…after he got what he wanted…well things should have calmed down right?”

Daigon just sighed.

“We…you might think that yes…but sadly no.”

“Well why the hell not?” Inuyasha grunted. “What could possibly be the old man’s problem now?”

“Father Inuyasha…” Sesshomaru chided. “He is your Father…not the old man.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. If it was his Father then he could call him whatever he wanted yes? Besides their Father was both male and old, so it was a correct title.

“See…once again it was a case of undermining his Father. It didn’t take very long for the story to travel through the West. Within a day after we returned everyone was talking about how Inu-Taisho had single-handedly taken revenge for his Mother, how he had faced the so called mightiest army in the world with a mere fraction of men compared to the East and triumphed. It also came out that Inu-Toga had gone after him, but instead of the truth, which was that your Grandfather had gone to aid or save your Father’s life. What was passed around and accepted was that Inu-Toga had gone to stop his son from attacking the East at all.” Daigon explained. “And that was that in the eye of the people. The torch had not been passed, it was forcibly wrenched away. But of course in classic Inu-Taisho style…he paid no attention. Though in this case his actions were innocent for the most part…he was simply celebrating his victory, which increased after his Mother was finally given a proper burial. It was basically a giant party that lasted from the time we returned till the marked day of Arne’s death.”

“That…is quite a party.” Sesshomaru mused.

“Oh yes…it was massive. Everyone in town, all of Inu-Taisho’s men, and most of the Western army itself, not to mention a large portion of the castle staff.” Daigon reported.

Inuyasha blinked.

Damn…that had to be…damn…just…hundreds, no thousands of people. He couldn’t even picture a celebration that large.

Course…he had never really been a part of any celebration, he had seen a few yes, but only from afar. Hanyou tended to be omitted from the guest list.

A strange, sad pang rippled inside of Inuyasha’s heart, bringing a light mist to his eyes.

There was so much in life that he hadn’t done, so much that he had missed. He had survived, but for some reason…he found himself wondering if he had ever really lived.

But now….no….he didn’t want to think about it.

“It was fun at first this one must admit. No strife, no trouble at all. It was a happy time…Inu-Taisho was smiling and being his goofy, charming self. Telling stories and playing around with people…no political meltdowns or anything like that. But…as the week passed, and the date of Arne’s death drew nearer…Inu-Taisho began to change. He became meaner and nastier everyday, and just drank more and more. Which in a way was normal, when Inu-Taisho stuck to the lighter, softer drinks he would be fine. Funny and happy…but when he got to the harder stuff…he would just…change. Quick to anger, quick to fight, and never with a nice word about anyone. He had been drunk all week, first three days had been the prince we all knew and loved, after that…the bitter, angry, damaged child came out.” Daigon continued. “The day before the date of Arne’s death proved to be a pivotal one, though none of us knew it at the time. Inu-Taisho was drunker then any of us had ever seen him, he could barely walk, had become sick more then three times….yet each time he emptied his stomach he would just pick up another bottle. People began to gather mid-morning and….well Inu-Taisho’s mouth began to let go…and for the first time he actually began to run down his Father. The crowd cheered with every criticism and very rapidly things began to get out of hand. Now at the same time people were beginning to hail Inu-Taisho as Lord, the true owner of that title was now aware of what had come to pass.”

“Took him longer enough eh?” Inuyasha whispered. But who was he to criticize? He knew nothing of politics.

“Things had been strained with Inu-Taisho for some time, but your Grandfather had never seen his son as a threat. But now, in the eyes of most of the West, it was Inu-Taisho who was Lord. Problem being of course that your Father was no where near ready for such responsibility. Had he been then perhaps Inu-Toga would have graciously stepped aside, he was getting up there in years after all. But Inu-Taisho’s time hadn’t come yet, and he certainly hadn’t shown the kind of reserve and maturity a ruler needs to have. Inu-Toga had given his son a great deal of leeway, perhaps ultimately to his detriment, but the final act that forced Inu-Toga’s hand came that morning.” Daigon stated, obviously not hearing Inuyasha’s interruption. Which was good as he hadn’t meant for anyone to hear it anyway.

“Oh?” And that was?” Inuyasha asked. He could always use a bigger list of things to avoid doing.

“At the beginning of the week Inu-Toga had requested the appearance of all the heads of the ruling families of the West. They were to arrive that morning. This one thinks that Inu-Toga wanted to do something special on the anniversary of Arne’s death, something to close the wound and help sooth his son. But…no one appeared. Not one answered his call or even sent a message to explain that they would be absent. There were however several letters addressed to Inu-Taisho, congratulating him on his…promotion, and various well-wishes for the future. Things like, looking forward to working with you to assure our lands future, or thank you for bringing honor back to the West, or even the vile, good luck erasing the cowardly stain of your Father.” Daigon answered. “Now of course Inu-Taisho was not in the castle, so all of this ended up in his Father’s hands. So on the morning of his mate’s death your Grandfather was publicly snubbed, insulted, and defied in favor of your Father.”

Sesshomaru groaned lightly through his teeth and lowered his head slightly.

“That’s…bad?” Inuyasha murmured.

“Extremely…only your Father though…heh…only Inu-Taisho could unwillingly, unknowingly stage a near coup without even being truly involved.” Daigon mused. “And now your Grandfather had a real dilemma. This, coupled with Inu-Taisho drunkenly badmouthing him, and striking such a victory for the West….all Inu-Taisho had to do was declare an intention for the throne, or just flat out state himself as Lord and nothing short of killing his son could keep Inu-Toga on the throne. Even then it would be a gamble because it was clear Inu-Taisho had near unanimous public support, and now even the nobles had thrown in with him. Inu-Toga probably still had the council of elders….but it wouldn’t take much for them to cave.”

“Spineless then…spineless now.” Sesshomaru muttered under his breath, so faintly that Inuyasha wasn’t quite sure if he had spoken at all.

“Now Inu-Toga had no desire to kill his child, but he also could not just hand the rule of the land over. About the only activities Inu-Taisho had participated in, in years had been drinking and violence, the very two things that your Grandfather hated most. He had spoken his concerns to this one when he first asked Daigon to watch over his son, and more and more over the years he had worried that Inu-Taisho was falling into the same pit that his own father had. A violent drunk has no place on the throne, very few could argue with that. At the same time Inu-Toga was humiliated and saddened by his son’s actions, and privately he wondered if it was his fault…or so Inu-Taisho told this one years later. Apparently your Grandfather had wondered if your Father did it just to spite him or if it was somehow in their blood.” Daigon informed.

“What do you think?” Inuyasha asked.

“This one thinks that Inu-Taisho drank to forget, to fill a void within himself. He was looking for something that he just couldn’t find, and the c up was always there. Yet at the same time he want to please and be a friend, therefore when his men or castle staff would go out, Inu-Taisho would go with them. Thing was that he would go with every group, which could amount to everyday, multiple hours a day. It was also a habit, something he did to fill the time. Bored? Drink. Lonely? Drink. Depressed? Drink. Even then he was surrounded by people who were not truly his friends, and that’s when it would really get out of hand. They would goad him on…saying things like, oh my gods Inu-Taisho…I can’t believe you can do as much of this as you can.” Daigon answered. “So…pride came into it, showing off…and you couldn’t tell him to stop either. If you did that he would just drink more…Inu-Taisho despised being told what to do, especially when drunk. If he was told not to behave a certain way…he’d just act even worse.”

“Goodness….now where have I heard of that kind of attitude before?” Sesshomaru mused softly.

“Yes well…he gets it honest.” Daigon stated.

Inuyasha looked back and forth between the two before pursing his lips and raising his hands up in his favorite salute to both of them.

But if Sesshomaru and the healer noticed his rude gesture they didn’t say anything. Pity….especially after he had gone through the trouble of coming up with a nice joined phrase for both of them.

Oh well…he’d keep it for a rainy day.

“Anyway…with his hand forced as it was your Grandfather had but one choice.” Daigon continued. “Dominance. He had to put his son in his place…publicly.”

“Now…if memory serves….being put in your place amounts to have the shit beat out of you.” Inuyasha supplied, staring directly at the back of Sesshomaru’s head. To his amusement the elder Inu actually winced slightly.

“Well…not always…but in this case you are correct. Nothing short of a physical victory would swing things back in balance. Unless of course Inu-Taisho actually submitted to his Father without a fight, which considering how drunk your Father was…was next to unthinkable at the time. Had be been sober and reasonable the two could have easily worked the situation out together.” Daigon reported before he smiled sadly, his eyes darkening slightly. “It was not even quite noon when Inu-Toga appeared at the tavern we were at. Those of us in Inu-Taisho’s inner circle had stayed with him to try and minimize whatever damage we could….which considering the head start your Father had going, and given what day it was, we expected there to be considering damage. But Inu-Toga’s appearance was completely unexpected, though not entirely unwelcome in Daigon’s opinion, but when this one saw how he was dressed…well he knew there would be trouble.”

“How he was dressed?” Inuyasha puzzled.

“Very aggressively. Not at all like his normal attire. His clothing was tight, yet flexible, with impact resistance armor. No sword sat on his hip, but it was clear that he was dressed for a fight.” Daigon answered. “Now…your Father didn’t see him at first…too busy downing another cup you see….”

Inu-Toga wrinkled his nose disdainfully as he made his way towards his son, and Daigon had to agree…the place smelled like a brewery on fire.

“Is this how you honor your Mother?” Inu-Toga asked. “By trying to pickle yourself?”

Inu-Taisho turned around, and damn near feel down in the process. When he finally saw his Father, which also took a minute as his eye wouldn’t adjust properly, he bared his teeth.

Not a smile….not a snarl…but certainly not friendly.

“Weeeelll…” Inu-Taisho slurred. “Now look who decided to make an appearance…and here I thought you’d forgotten what day it was. Come to share a toast with me Fffather?”

Daigon winced slightly, just the way Inu-Taisho said -Father- you could tell he was trying to jab.

“Now I have not.” Inu-Toga clarified. “I need to speak with you….thought clearly you are in no shape for it. Just look at you…my gods Inu-Taisho, have you no shame? You’ve gorged yourself for a week, your scent is absolutely foul and you can barely stand…you embarrass yourself and your family.”

Daigon tensed, just like the air around them was doing. The worst pare was that one could actually feel their Youki starting to build up and press into one another. It was like a wall, pressing into you, shoving you back.

Suddenly Inu-Taisho gets his head going in that rapid, condescending nod he would do sometimes.

“Embarrassment huh?…Hnn…yeah you’d know a lot about that dontcha? Figures you’d come around her to bitch…too damn good to have a drink with your son, toast his victory and your own fucking mate.”

Another jab, and Inu-Toga started to bristle.

“You know full well-” He started to say, but Inu-Taisho interrupted him.

“Yea…I knew…I know…can’t drink…can’t fight…can’t defend…all you can do is talk…yap, yap, yap. Well here…lemme help you with part of that.”

Before anyone could move Inu-Taisho turned and grabbed his other cup, which was filled with the vile, piss liquor as Daigon liked to call it. Stronger then hell, but also the nastiest sludge one could ever drink. But once it was in Inu-Taisho’s hand he spun around and flung the contents right into his Father’s face.

Daigon held his breath, this was getting out of hand far too quickly, but he didn’t’ know what to do about it. But he did know from getting that crap splashed on him before that it burned…and Inu-Toga caught it dead in the face…right in the nose and eyes.

Only a few of the crowd seemed to be aghast that Inu-Taisho would behave as such, Daigon and a few of the Inu-prince’s most trusted. But everyone else…all the rest of the patrons who had been silent up till now began to laugh, hooting and hollering, totally disrespectful is what it was.

They’d be lucky if they didn’t end up in shackles at this rate.

Yet at the same time, while everyone else seemed to be going nuts…the air went dead. Daigon could feel it clearly as Inu-Taisho turned his back on his Father, and this time the only reason he didn’t’ fall was because of the tavern counter.

The moment Inu-Taisho turned Daigon switched his eyes to Inu-Toga, who slowly wiped his face with his hand…and when his eyes opened….

Daigon shivered….that look…..

His eyes became sad for a moment, right before he came forward. With one hand Inu-Toga caught a big handful of his son’s hair….

WHAM!!

Inu-Taisho went face first right into the counter, which promptly broke from the force of the impact. The entire thing on Inu-Taisho’s side snapped off, and a large crack burst up down the other two sides.

Daigon groaned under his breath…that counter was three inches of solid oak, reinforced with two steel bands that ran through it. It was made for drunken demon’s to pound on…t amount of force required to break it like that….

Goodnight really…

From the spurting blood Daigon could tell that Inu-Taisho’s nose was definitely broken…and it certainly shut up the riff-raff.

The Inu-prince didn’t even know what had happened. His legs were limp, his jaw completely lax…so dazed he was drooling. The only reason he wasn’t on the floor was because his Father still had him by the hair…hair that only moments later he was being dragged along the ground and out the door by.

Daigon quickly followed, unsure of just what was about to happen, but wanted to be ready incase he needed to step in.

Once out in the open Inu-Toga gave a great heave and Inu-Taisho couldn’t even start to get his arms or legs under him. Face first into the dirt, and he probably slid a good seven feet, leaving a nice little blood streak behind him.

It took a couple of minutes but soon Inu-Taisho started to get up, but when he finally managed to get to his knees his Father stepped up to him and with just the heel of his left hand Inu-Toga slapped him right back down.

Now Daigon was starting to get an idea of what was going on, Inu-Toga was showing his son his place. He had truly hoped it wouldn’t come to this between the two Inu…but why? Had something happened that he didn’t’ know about? Something to finally push it over the edge? Was it just Inu-Taisho’s mouth? Or had something else happened?

If this was what Daigon suspected it was, then he truly wished that Inu-Taisho was in his right, proper mind…because if he was then this could all end here and now. Then again if he was all that then it would have never started in the first place.

But no…the few brain cells that did function in his head were obviously completely sloshed. Compound that with pain and indignation…and you would have a recipe for disaster no doubt.

Daigon could tell just from the look on Inu-Taisho’s damaged face that things were about to get REAL ugly.

“Fuck….now he’s pissed.” Daigon thought.

With a snarl Inu-Taisho attacked, lobbing giant haymaker punches at his Father. But he was pitiful slow…and so off balance. Each punch was enough to break someone’s neck…but they didn’t have half a chance at connecting.

Inu-Toga easily dodged each wild swing…and everything he was doing was crisp and precise. Which really surprised Daigon. It was not flashy or overly technical but in less then a minute he dropped Inu-Taisho over ten times.

He was also smart enough to stay out of grappling range Daigon realized as Inu-Toga sent his son crashing down to the ground with a sharp side kick right to the belly.

Inu-Taisho probably had more raw brawn then anyone else in the West, and youth was on his side…but his Father wouldn’t let him get into a position to use it.

Daigon cursed under his breath as a crowd began to gather, and then build, and build…word was traveling twice as fast as usual it seemed.

Though Daigon figured it should come as no surprised considering what this little spat had become.
A fight for dominance between Inu-Toga and Inu-Taisho.

A fight for the throne….hottest ticket in town without a doubt.

Not that it was much of a fight really, even if you removed the complex emotions they all held for the two Inu. Inu-Taisho would drag himself off of the ground, charge in, and wham…Inu-Toga would nail him.

“He’s lucky that his Father is only using his knuckles and not his claws.” Daigon mused inwardly. “Otherwise he’d be dead by now.”

Taking his attention off of the two Inu Daigon took a moment to gauge the crowd, and was mildly amused by what he was seeing/picking up.

They were completely speechless, everywhere he looked he saw nothing but disbelief, disbelief that the might Inu-Taisho was being so soundly trounced.

Granted Inu-Taisho was hardly in any kind of fighting shape, but that wouldn’t matter to his supporters, especially considering it was Inu-Toga he was fighting. A disturbing amount of people seemed to honestly believe that Inu-Taisho could kill his father with but a sneeze.

Crack!

Down Inu-Taisho went again, sprawling on his face before his ass flipped over his head and he ended on his back. He got up slowly, and stumbled…he didn’t look like he could take much more.

Then again…Inu-Toga was looking like he had had enough…

Inu-Taisho charged in, no snarl or roar this time, but his swing missed again, and he put so much force into it, and was so off balance, that it spun him right around.

Inu-Toga took advantage of course, with one kick to the back of Inu-Taisho’s knee he dropped his son down. Quickly Inu-Toga pulled his son’s arms behind his back and slid is own through them in some kind of double chicken-wing. From there he slipped his hands up and locked on a side chin lock, pushing Inu-Taisho’s head down while twisting it to the side.

His tail looped around Inu-Taisho’s legs, tying them up as he actually climbed onto his son’s back. Inu-Toga pressed both knee’s into the center of Inu-Taisho’s back as his tail knotted up around the Inu-prince’s ankles.

Sesshomaru winced, and actually rubbed the back of his neck.

“Well…now I know where he learned that bizarre piece of pain…” The elder Inu grumbled.

“Familiar with it eh?” Inuyasha asked.

“…Unfortunately. The more you fight…the more pressure you apply to yourself.”

Daigon watched curiously as Inu-Taisho tried to struggle, obviously enraged, gnashing his teeth and trying to twist his arms in a way so that he could get a hold of his Father.

It didn’t work, and after several minutes of fruitless labor he tried to rise…and that’s when the trick became clear to the observing elemental.

The more he pushed the more further his head was twisted, his arms were forced higher above his head, and his back was bent further and further.

It became clear to Daigon that if he persisted his shoulders would be forced from their sockets, his neck would break, and his back would snap like a twig.

Which would kill him…not even Inu-Taisho could survive his head being turned around backwards.

But fortunately it didn’t’ seem like he could push it that far, the pain was simply too great, and under it even the proud Inu-Taisho could not keep from crying out in pain…which he never did any other time.

The fight was over…that much was clear. Inu-Toga had him, he wasn’t getting out.

Inu-Taisho tried his own tail of course, but it simply flopped useless upon the ground, unable to slither around Inu-Toga to try and remove him.

The only thing he could do was submit.

What struck Daigon though was that even though he was clearly in control Inu-Toga wore a pained, desperate expression. It was obvious that he didn’t want to do this…but really…did he have a choice?

Twenty minutes past. Twenty minutes of pointless struggle. Twenty minutes of Inu-Taisho crying out in pain and whimpering like a child.

Inu-Toga laid his cheek down on the top of his sons head and whispered.

“That’s enough son…you tried….you did well…but no more. Cease this and surrender.”

It was so faint, and the crowd so loud in their support of Inu-Taisho that Daigon was only able to slightly catch it, and only was able to do so because the wind carried it to him. That and he was in a position to read the Western Lord’s lips.

Daigon found himself praying that Inu-Taisho would listen, that his brain would defog enough to reason to come through.

But no…Inu-Taisho did what he always did when he was in pain, when he got angry. He fought…and fought…and fought…until finally his Father growled and pressed in harder, pushing Inu-Taisho’s face down into the dirt.

“Enough boy.” He growled. “You are beat…give up.”

There was nothing else he could say probably, but that was the wrong thing to say to a pained, enraged, drunken Inu-prince apparently.

Inu-Taisho sagged for a moment, almost as if he had come back to himself long enough to realize the situation…but ten, with his whole body trembling as if some outside force had suddenly invaded him, he let out this growl…completely different then any other sound that Daigon had ever heard him back.

“No!” He spat. “NEVER!!” He screamed.

Inu-Taisho began to push, trying to rise, screaming in pain and rage with every inch he gained.

Further and further he pushed his body until finally he reached the breaking point. His head was nearly facing backwards, his arms well past his head, back nearly in half.

Something simply had to give. But what would?

Inu-Toga as it turned out.

Just at the point where Inu-Taisho would have shattered himself…Inu-Toga released him.

He couldn’t do it…he just couldn’t bring himself to kill his son. Not that Daigon blamed him in the slightest.

Perhaps he realized that Inu-Taisho simply would NOT submit…not on that day.

One could break all they wanted, Daigon could see that now. Inu-Taisho would not submit, not on the very same day that his Mother had been killed. On the very same day that she was put down on her knees and told to submit to save her life, only to refuse and stand defiant.

Now put her son who had witnessed the event in something of the same position….no…the memory was still too fresh in his mind, and the moment Inu-Toga told him to give up Daigon was willing to bet everything he had that the only thought in Inu-Taisho’s mind was Arne’s defiance.

Perhaps Inu-Toga had another tactic in mind, but Daigon found himself believing that he was not prepared for the level of resistance he had received from his son and just…let go.

Inu-Taisho had already been coiled so tight, putting so much force into trying to stand that when he was suddenly released he came up like a shot.

His elbow smashed right into Inu-Toga’s jaw, spinning the demon Lord around like a top. In a split second Inu-Taisho had turned himself around and he tackled his Father full force and drove him into the ground.

With speed he hadn’t had earlier he was on top of Inu-Toga, sitting right on his chest….and then he started punching.

Inu-Toga tried to get his arms up to defend himself, but Inu-Taisho just hit him and hit him and hit him and HIT him.

And he was screaming at the top of his lungs with every blow.

“You’re a coward!”
WHAM!

“WEAKLING!”

WHAM!

“I HATE YOU!”

WHAM!

“I HATE YOU!”

WHAM!

“WHY DIDN’T YOU SAVE MY MOTHER?!”

WHAM!

“HOW COULD YOU JUST-JUST LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT!?”

WHAM!

“WHY WERE YOU SO AFRAID OF TURAMA?!”

WHAM!

“I HATE YOU!!”

“WAS IT YOUR PLAN?!”

WHAM! WHAM!

“DID YOU SET HER UP?!?!”

WHAM!

“WHY WOULDN’T YOU FIGHT?! WORDS AND WAITING! THAT’S ALL YOU ARE! WAIT FOR WHAT/! OLD AGE?! WAIT FOR YOU TO STOP LICKING TURAMA’S BOOTS!?! COWARD!”

WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!

“I hateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOU!!”

WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM!!!

He just kept screaming, tears just pouring down his face as he beat on Inu-Toga. Daigon’s jaw dropped in horror as Inu-Taisho drove his fist into his Father’s face.

Again, and again, and again, and again, and AGAIN.

Until finally he stopped…he stopped and stood up. He staggered and stumbled…and then raised his arms in victory before he spat upon his prone Father.

Damn…not that Inuyasha hadn’t wanted to do the same to Sesshomaru for years but…damn. He hadn’t expected that at all…not to his father.

“He…he didn’t kill him did he?” Inuyasha asked hesitantly. He didn’t think he could respect his Father if the man had murdered his own.
Thankfully Daigon shook his head.

His eyes rolling back in his head Inu-Taisho fell backwards, only to be caught by two of his men. Daigon couldn’t quite tell who they were, but he watched as they basically carried the “victor” back to the tavern.

People drained away quickly, far faster then they had gathered and soon it really was just Daigon and a grounded Inu-Toga, everyone else had either gone home or gone with Inu-Taisho.

As his second in command Daigon really should have left with the Inu-prince…but he couldn’t leave Inu-Toga alone like that, regardless of whether or not Inu-Taisho needed him.

Daigon didn’t know what to do…he wanted to help the fallen Lord to his feet, but at the same time he didn’t know if that was the right course. Who knew how Inu-Toga might react.

“Damn you Arne.” Daigon hissed, curing his long time tormenter. He knew just who was responsible for all of this. That stupid woman…she was the cause of all of this.

After maybe a minute or so Inu-Toga began to stand, Daigon rushed in to aid him but was waved off. He wobbled slightly when he finished rising, but did not stagger to his feet as Inu-Taisho had.

Dark bruises sat on his arms, his face pulped up and a bit swollen. But no missing teeth, and blood did not pour from his face.

He was slumped though, caved in on himself, and his walk back to the castle was a slow, but steady, defeated trudge. Daigon followed, compelled in away. He found it slightly ironic that Inu-Taisho, the victor, had to be carried away, while his Father had no trouble walking on his own.

Inu-Toga uttered not a word on the way back, he did not even acknowledge Daigon’s presence. Together the two of them entered the castle and immediately the remaining staff began fussing over Inu-Toga.

Again word had traveled fast.

But still the wise Lord was cared for…which made Daigon feel at least a fraction better about the whole situation.

As it turned out he was surprisingly unharmed. Bruised yes, and a his nose was broken…but really, nothing serious at all.

The only thing Daigon could think of was that Inu-Taisho had been so unbalanced, and so wore out and drunk, that he had not been hitting with near the force that it had appeared he had been.

Again Daigon wanted to say something, but nothing came to him. He wanted to tell Inu-Toga what a superb Lord he had been, and yet…it just seemed like it would be patronizing.
So Inu-Toga went up to his chambers…and ordered Daigon to return to his son.

“Now…the rest of this story was confirmed by eyewitnesses, this one wasn’t there. So take it for what you will.” The healer said. “ But apparently after your Grandfather cleaned himself up he gathered dozens and dozens of blank books and began to write. For the rest of the evening and most of the night he wrote everything he knew about ruling apparently. Every scrap of information he thought Inu-Taisho would need to know he wrote in those books. Amazingly…after he was finished over a hundred tomes sat neatly in a pile for your Father. Each named and numbered…and for the amount he wrote…the sheer volume of…volumes still strikes this one as impossible. It should have taken months…if not years…and your Grandfather did it in a single night.”

“Well what happened then?” Inuyasha asked.

“Well after that he changed into plain white clothing, no adornments, no family crest, just as plain and as common as they cam. He left his chambers, made a stop at the memories where he apparently spent some time looking over various portraits of Inu-Taisho growing up, along with some drawings and other mementos of the former child. He left there, made his way down to the throne room, entered…sat down in the seat that countless ancestors of yours have sat upon. He made himself comfortable, leaned back…and died.”

Inuyasha did a double take, and Sesshomaru stumbled slightly. Yet another completely unexpected turn.

“What?! Why??” Inuyasha snapped, oddly upset. “You just said he wasn’t really hurt.”

“No…no he wasn’t. But as for why…well…we’ll get to that shortly.”

Daigon cracked an eye open as he wet groan reached his ears, a causal glance amazingly revealed a conscious Inu-Taisho. That was unexpected, especially considering how early it was.

From the report Daigon had been given Inu-Taisho had passed out before he had even gotten back into the tavern. Yet now he was awake…and everyone knew it too.

Hard to remain asleep with all his groaning and heaving.

It seemed that his entire week of massive excess had FINALLY caught up with him. He looked terrible, and was just barely, just barely keeping the contents of his stomach where they belonged.

After everything that had transpired…it as just too much for Daigon not to laugh at his state. Behold the Lord of the West indeed….

Curiously the first words out of his mouth after he regained enough to speak and locked eyes with Daigon were.

“Daigon…why…ugh…why is my nose broken?”

The elemental couldn’t believe his gall, he had always had respect and something like love for the Inu-child, but all of that had taken a great hit.

He didn’t bother to answer Inu-Taisho, but the dog just forged on, stretching and groaning.

“Did I fall down the stairs? Or onto something? Oh gods…I feel horrible….”

“Yes…you did fall down…a lot actually.” Daigon snipped sarcastically.

Amazingly Inu-Taisho picked right up on the sarcasm, and gave Daigon a queer look before he went right back on whining.

“My neck is killing me…my back hurts….feels like someone tried to rip my arms off.” The Inu groaned.

Hung-over Inu-Taisho…sigh….always an earful.

Rubbing at his eyes Inu-Taisho took a lot around the room, and then back to Daigon.

“Who broke the bar?”

“You did.” Daigon answered. “Not totally though…your skull did anyway.” He added mentally.

“Well…how the hell did I do that? Did I jump on it again? Urp….oh gods….noooo…not going to get sick…not gonna do it.” Inu-Taisho moaned. “Well…I’d better leave some coin…”

“Face plant actually.” Daigon informed.

Inu-Taisho gingerly touched his broken nose.

“Well…that explains this.” He grunted. “Must have been one hell of a fall for everything to hurt so much.”

“No…the rest came later.” Daigon quipped.

Finally after minutes of back and forth Inu-Taisho just blew up.

“Well what the fuck is your problem Daigon? If I’ve done something to you then tell me, but drop the gods damn attitude. You know good and well what yesterday was, I had every right to drink. Now I’m in a lot of pain, more then I should be and I don’t know why, so I don’t fucking need this okay?”

How quaint…he didn’t need it…only careful self control kept Daigon from rolling on the floor with laughter.

Yet another reason Inuyasha didn’t drink. He got in enough trouble on his own, he damn sure didn’t’ need any help. Just look what had happened the one time he had drank. Inuyasha shuddered.

Sesshomaru’s cock all of his that’s what!

Apparently the look on Daigon’s face must have gotten Inu-Taisho thinking, if the few remaining brain cells could even fire, because after a few minutes of groaning and holding his head he finally asked.

“So what happened anyway? Did I piss on your boots or something?”

Daigon had to admit…he had a real hard time believing that Inu-Taisho could remember nothing…so he had to ask.

“If I did would I ask you?” Inu-Taisho snapped.

“Maybe.” Daigon snipped. “If you wanted to pretend.”

Well Inu-Taisho didn’t’ like that, not one bit. Even with his head apparently pounding he started to growl.

“I got all day Daigon, and I want an answer.”

Daigon did have to laugh at that, a humorless bark if nothing else. It was all just so…well…laughable.

“No you do not have all day milord….I imagine you’ll be quite busy on this, your first day of command.” Daigon shot back.

Well that only served to confuse Inu-Taisho further, and he could get very cranky when confused.

“I’ve been in command for years dumbass. Did you just start paying attention? No quite fucking with me.” Inu-Taisho growled. “I don’t have any plans to march out today, Father would probably scream at me if I did, so just what the fuck are you talking about?”

“You really don’t know?” Daigon asked cautiously.

NO!” Inu-Taisho snarled. “I wouldn’t keep asking otherwise! The whole fucking week is a blur okay!?”

Now from the way he was acting, especially from the spurts of confused temper Daigon started to get the feeling that maybe he really didn’t remember. Perhaps the insane amount of liquor he had consumed, combined with the concussion he almost certainly received the day before had actually wiped his memory.

So Daigon told him everything. Why his nose was broken, who had done it, what he himself had done to cause it, how he had continued to provoke his Father, how his Father had shown him mercy and just what the former Lord had received in turn.
Every drunken, hateful word he had spat Daigon relayed to him, in his own voice no less, the elemental didn’t leave anything out, and most certainly not about how he had spit on his waylaid elder.

Then Daigon fell silent, and let it sink in.

For a good long time Inu-Taisho said nothing, he just sat on one of the crates stacked in the corner with his head down. Finally he wearily raised up his head to meet Daigon’s eyes.

“If this is a joke…it his hardly funny.”

That actually angered Daigon, as if he would make up such a story.

“No…I assure you this is the unblemished truth.” Daigon growled.

Again Inu-Taisho fell silent.

After a few minutes he started to whisper softly to himself.

“I don’t hate my Father…” Daigon caught him saying.

“Well you said it.” The elemental informed. “Screamed it for all to hear in fact…about a hundred times really.”

“I didn’t…I mean….but I….” Inu-Taisho fumbled.

As upset and confused as the Inu seemed to be, Daigon could help but dig the needle in.

“So…just what is your first decree as Lord? Surely there is someone else we could be attacking right now.” The elemental asked sarcastically.

The dog hardly deserved to be babied after all. He was no responsible for the entire country, and his behavior didn’t’ exactly inspire confidence.

But moments after he said it Inu-Taisho stood up and declared.

“I…I have to speak with Father. I…I can give it back.”

That was rather humorous, did he actually think he could just give it back?

But before Daigon could say a word Inu-Taisho was lurching out of the tavern. He followed, if only to keep the dog from getting into even more trouble.

He had no idea what Inu-Taisho’s plan was, he couldn’t just give it back. He had crushed Inu-Toga with his own two hands, and even if he publicly submitted it might not undo the damage.

The hung-over dog actually made pretty good time on the way back to the castle, only stumbling a few times, and he only stopped to heave and finally vomit once.

Of course each time they would run across someone they would hail Inu-Taisho as Lord and congratulate him on taking down his cowardly Father. Each time that happened Inu-Taisho would slump further and further, sinking into himself.
Shame….now that was something Daigon hadn’t expected.

He didn’t receive a warm welcome in once he entered the castle either. The staff on hand was loyal to Inu-Toga. They were respectful yes, but curt and cold. Inu-Taisho seemed more then a little unnerved by it all, but he managed to shrug it off.

“Where is my Father?” He asked nearly everyone they came across until finally an answer was given.

“Last seen entering the throne room…why? What else do you want to do?”



The two of them entered the quiet, dark throne room, and sure enough…there sat Inu-Toga. Seeing him on the throne was nothing new, but Daigon couldn’t ever remember a time when he saw the proud, intelligent Lord dressed so…pitifully.

Out of respect Daigon hung back as Inu-Taisho humbly approached his father, fumbling some sort of apology the whole way.

But Inu-Toga was silent, which only served to make Inu-Taisho even more nervous. He couldn’t even raise his head to look at his Father.

But something wasn’t right…something had Daigon’s teeth on edge…and soon enough Inu-Taisho seemed to notice it as well, and his nerves gave way to leery confusion.

“Father?” He called softly. “Father?….Father?…Answer me please….Father I….”

Finally Inu-Taisho reached Inu-Toga and he touched him on the shoulder. But Inu-Toga didn’t respond.

“Father?”

Inu-Taisho shook the man softly….then harder and more desperate until Inu-Toga’s head and limbs snapped back and forth like wet noodles…so horribly loose.

“Father!?! Father answer me!!! DAIGON!!” Inu-Taisho screamed.

Daigon rushed up…and although he tried…he knew the moment he touched Inu-Toga that it would be useless. Nothing could be done…it had been far too long.

“But I don’t understand…why did he die?” Inuyasha asked.

“Well…although the official report from this one’s predecessor said heart failure…Daigon has long believed Inu-Toga died of a broken heart.” The healer answered. “He believed that when a person was intoxicated what came out was their true self, their true feelings. So when Inu-Taisho said such vile, hateful things…he believed that his son meant every word, that he really did hate him, really did blame him. On top of that he probably realized what had been done, that Inu-Taisho had ripped him down much the same what he had done to his own Father. No one remembers your Great-Grandfather’s triumphs as a younger man, how he drove back the Dragon’s and the Neko. The only reason this one knows is because Inu-Toga told him about it once. Would anyone remember Inu-Toga? Would they remember the great things he had done for his people, about how he brought the West back form the brink? The answer is no by the way…the only thing a select few remember is the slander and the lies. So he just…gave up.”

Inuyasha had never heard about anything like that happening. But he supposed it could be true, he certainly wasn’t a healer. But after what he had felt when he had thought Kikiyo had betrayed him all those years ago….he certainly had felt he could die.

“What finally redeemed Inu-Taisho in this one’s, and the staff that had gathered, eyes had been how he had reacted….”

Daigon and the rest watched as Inu-Taisho clutched at his Father, sinking to his knees. He screamed and cried and wailed…clutching at his Father’s body as if his very life depended on it.

“Oh gods…I’m sorry…please no…no don’t do this…not him…I can’t lose him too.” Inu-Taisho blubbered.

“Inu-Taisho…” Daigon started.

But the Inu-prince suddenly stood, hauling his Father’s body up with him, and took off stumbling out of the throne room.

At first Daigon didn’t know where he was going, or why. But soon he realized that Inu-Taisho was headed for the main platform overlooking the town. The so called “Crying block.”

But why would he be going there?

Messengers had already been dispatched it would seem, because when Inu-Taisho made his way out…it certainly looked like everyone had already gathered.

Or maybe the rumor mil had just been working over time…Daigon certainly didn’t’ know.

He also had no idea what Inu-Taisho was planning on doing, or saying as he held his Father bridal style out to the people.

Presenting him for mourning perhaps?

The elemental never would find out, because the moment Inu-Taisho walked into view…the people began to cheer.
To say that Inu-Taisho was taken aback would be an understatement. With the body of his Father in his arms the very last thing he had expected was cheering.

He opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out…he cleared his throat, but this time when he went to speak someone yelled out.

“Hail Inu-Taisho! Our true Lord!”

The crowd exploded then, following that unknown person’s lead.

“HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!”

It was so loud that it shook the surroundings, and Daigon could only watch, his own heart breaking, at the look of sheer horror that crept across Inu-Taisho’s face.

It was then that Inu-Taisho truly realized what he had done. His eyes went wide and he started to shake his head in horrified disbelief.

“NO!” He started to scream. “Nooo! Nooooo! NOOOOOOOOOO! SHUT UP! SHUP THE FUCK UP!! GOD DAMN IT NOOOOOOOO!!!”

But no one but those close to him could hear it over the people. No one but Daigon and a few of the staff.
No one else heard…and no one else cared.

“And there ended Inu-Toga…and began the reign of Inu-Taisho.” Daigon finished.

Inuyasha rubbed at his brow. Good gods…drama just ran in the family didn’t’ it?

Still…he didn’t’ know anything about his Father’s time as Lord.

“Well what about Father? Any good…none…horror stories there?” Inuyasha asked softly.

Daigon nodded and chuckled.

“Oh yes…much more pleasant to be sure. However that is a story for another time as we are rather low on day.” The healer replied as he pointed at the sky.

Inuyasha blinked in shock as he realized the sun was almost set. The whole day had gone by already? How as that even possible?

“Indeed…we will have to stop soon…” Sesshomaru stated. “But we will reach home before noon tomorrow I believe.”

Inuyasha wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand he didn’t want to spend the next few days on the damn cart, enough shit had happened on the way up here.

But on the other who knew what would happen once they returned.

Sesshomaru didn’t really need him anymore…and Inuyasha was confused enough about the Demon Lord and what he was after.

“So just how is it that you didn’t know about any of this?” Inuyasha asked his sibling.

“It was not in the record, neither public nor private. It not in my lessons as a child nor did Father ever bring it up.” Sesshomaru answered, his voice one step away from hostile. “There is very little about Grandfather….I had simply assumed the records had been lost.”

“Hmm…no…just not written.” Daigon chimed in.

“And why is that?” Inuyasha asked.

“Well you see when a Lord steps down it then falls to him or her to pen they story of their life. But Inu-Toga did not do that. Now when a Lord falls before their time it then falls to their offspring to write them into history. Inu-Taisho did try but…well he never really stopped working on it till he himself died, but there was so little he could dig up. And then there were the distractions…his mate…Sesshomaru, especially Sesshomaru. He just got caught up in the now, and never really had time for the then.” Daigon explained. “Perhaps we could speak more on the subject later.”

“So…you wrote on the old man?” Inuyasha asked Sesshomaru.

“Yes.” The Demon Lord ground out tersely. “I had thought it had been very complete.”

The elder in leveled one of his patented glares on the healer, who surprisingly seemed unfazed.

“Inu-Taisho did not want you to know…so this one respected his wishes.” Daigon explained. “Besides…even if you had been told you would not have believed. Your Father was your hero, you felt he was perfect…and he did everything he could to live up to that.”

“So why tell me now?” Sesshomaru inquired.

“Because you are not the one you were then.” Daigon answered.

Sesshomaru grunted but said nothing.

Inuyasha found it all very confusing that Sesshomaru would have never even heard of any of this until now. But elder creatures did seem to love their secrets now didn’t they? Getting answers out of Totosai or Myoga or Kaede was often like pulling teeth.

Though what Daigon had said made some sense. Sesshomaru could be extremely touchy about certain things that he didn’t want to hear.

“Boy I’ve learned a lot today.” A voice chirped right beside Inuyasha’s ear.

Holy hell!!” The hanyou screamed, completely caught off guard by the sudden sound. It made him jump, and he twisted to the side at the same time…which caused him to tumble out of the cart and crash onto the ground.

“Are you alright Lord Inuyasha?” Retsu asked as he brought the cart to a stop and peered curiously over the edge like a little kid.

Inuyashas’ heart was thudding in his chest. That had scared the crap out of him!

“No I’m not alright!!” Inuyasha snapped. “Don’t fucking sneak up on a guy like that!!”

“I’ve been sitting next to you all day!” Retsu protested.

He had? Oh…that was right…he had completely forgotten about Retsu.

“Well…say something next time!”

“I did! And then you screamed and jumped on your head!” Retsu shouted back.

“Before that!” Inuyasha clarified.

“You want me to say something BEFORE I say something?!”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX

Twenty minutes later Inuyasha was seated under a tree, grumbling to himself.

Stupid Retsu…making him look stupid by being stupid like that. Inuyasha had half a mind to shove the stupid chef down a stupid hill.

He still couldn’t believe he had forgotten about the furry eared chef, but that wasn’t his fault at all he kept telling himself. Obviously the man was….much sneakier then he let on.

Yes that was it…had to be.

“Why is it that you always sit off alone.” Sesshomaru asked as he came up from behind Inuyasha’s tree, startling the hanyou slightly.

“Habit I guess.” Inuyasha admitted.

Sesshomaru’s hand slid into his hair, massaging his scalp and then around the base of his ears.

“Mmmm…” Inuyasha rumbled in his throat, a shiver racing down his spine. “Oh don’t do that…”

However not only did Sesshomaru not stop, his fingers strokes grew deeper and longer.

“If only I had known of your weakness sooner. I could have defeated you utterly years ago.” Sesshomaru mused, a smile in his voice.

Inuyasha didn’t really pay any attention, he was too busy trying to keep his foot from twitching.

“I’m not a pet.” Inuyasha grumbled, his voice utterly lacking grit.

“Maybe I just enjoy puppy’s ears.” Sesshomaru purred.

Puppy? Puppy?!

“Whatever you say…..Fluffy.” Inuyasha shot back.

Sesshomaru’s hand stopped, and disappeared only moments later. Inuyasha felt rather victorious…right until Sesshomaru’s tail wrapped loosely around his face.

“Was this your desire?” Sesshomaru chuckled.

“Of course….I need to blow my nose something horrible.” Inuyasha countered.

Sesshomaru scoffed and withdrew his tail, the soft fur dragging along Inuyasha’s face.

“I apologize for the accommodations. I had expected us to make better time.” Sesshomaru stated.

Now it was Inuyasha’s turn to scoff, and he crossed his arms.

“I’ve spent more time on the ground then in a bed.” Inuyasha pointed out. “Besides…I don’t’ mind…I learned a lot today.”

“Indeed…” Sesshomaru agreed softly, a slightly bitter tone in his voice.

It was so weird to hear these fantastic, and brutal stories, and for them to be able his family. Yet…it didn’t quite feel like his family, felt like he was just hearing about someone else.

“Just doesn’t feel like mine…” Inuyasha whispered. Sesshomaru gently stroked his thumb over Inuyasha’s left ear.

“You know so little….give it time.” The elder Inu advised.

Inuyasha pursed his lips and half-shrugged, rocking his head from side to side slightly. Then a thought popped into his head.

“What was all that about war cries? I mean…you’re always so quiet….well except when you say -die!- all the time. But Daigon made it sound so…common.”

Sesshomaru made a small noise in his throat and began to walk past Inuyasha, obviously headed towards the new makeshift camp. Inuyasha rolled his eyes, so not only did the jerk sneak around him so that he could approach from the rear, but then he ignores the question.

But about two feet in front of Inuyasha, Sesshomaru stopped. Even from behind Inuyasha could see the elder Inu’s chest swell as he took a breath.

“HAWO! HAWO! HAWO!” Sesshomaru belted out, thrusting his fist into the air each time.

The boom sound split the air, and Inuyasha felt each one right in his chest. In an instant he felt completely wired, his system flooding itself with adrenaline.

Sesshomaru cocked his head to the side and Inuyasha caught a small smile.

Well…that answered that.

To be continued.

Alright then….sorry this is so unbelievably late.

If you have ever seen the movie 300...then you’ll know the war cry that Sessy just made, I took it right from the movie.

Personally I hate this chapter….it took so damn long to write, and then I had to do an assload of re-writes….but I hope you were wearing your learning pants haha.

Considering most of this chapter was written while I was sitting in the hospital, being told my dad could die at any moment I guess you’re going to have to forgive the quality.

I suppose I could re-write the whole thing, but while it was fun to think it all up, it was brutal to write…so at this point I’m jus tired of looking at it.

Anyway…I hope you all enjoy it more then I did hehe.