InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ It's my Life ❯ Guess who? ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
I do not own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does. Any original characters that pop up, yes those are mine, but everyone else is again owned by Rumiko Takahashi.



Inuyasha would have liked to say he was surprised to see Sesshomaru trailing behind his group, but he really wasn’t. It was alright though…the fact that he had gotten Sesshomaru to agree to everything he had asked had been down right shocking as it was. He certainly had not expected to get out without at least one last attempt from sesshomaru. The man was nothing if not persistent.

All he had to do was stay strong, not give sesshomaru anything to try and use to get his own way. Not that it meant much to Inuyasha, his mind was made up. Sesshomaru could order till he was blue in the face for all he cared.
As it was he was simply trying to get a feel for the mode of his own group. Miroku and Sango looked well enough, a little relieved actually. Shippo was energetic as always, bouncing all over the place as usual. But Kagome…she looked as if she had been seriously ill. It struck him as odd, but he remembered that she hadn’t felt well before he and sesshomaru had left the first time, something which had amused the elder Inu actually.

Inuyasha scowled. It didn’t exactly bode well. If Kagome felt bad then she was sure to be ill-tempered and bitchy. Two things Inuyasha didn’t have the time or energy to really deal with right now.
His spirits sunk a bit….now he had the feeling this wouldn’t lead to the warm goodbye he had been hoping to achieve.

A bit behind Sesshomaru was a teeth baringly amused Alir, and a trudging Tren.

Well…it looked like he knew who his “escort” was going to be. Though one of them didn’t’ look very happy about the idea. Inuyasha crossed his arms in annoyance. He thought he had been pretty clear, volunteer only.

He wasn’t sure he trusted any of the demons as it as, so the last thing he wanted was to croak and then have his remain party be attacked by whatever demon Sesshomaru sent.

“Well…you’re all still alive.” Inuyasha mused.

Sesshomaru scoffed at the notion, but Miroku and Sango smiled.

“So…what is going on exactly?” Sango asked.

“Well…I was thinking Kaede’s village.” Inuyasha informed. “Got some things to tell you, plan our next move and all that.”

“Oh thank God!” Kagome exclaimed as she pushed past the monk and slayer. “Now I can go home! That was the worst place ever…it still feels like my brain’s been turned inside out!”

Again Inuyasha caught the low sounds of Sesshomaru’s laughter, and again it was very odd. No time to ask though.

Sango leaned in as Kagome moved past him.

“I think maybe she’s allergic to something in there. That room drove her crazy…” She whispered to Inuyasha. The hanyou nodded and pursed his lips.

“Yeah Kagome, that’d be just fine.” Inuyasha stated. To which Miroku looked mildly surprised.

“You mean you do not want to get back out and continue hunting for the jewel shards?”

Inuyasha shrugged.

“Hey…while you were sitting in the lap of luxury, I was busy.” He grumbled.

“So um…are we safe now?” Shippo asked. “No like…wars and stuff?”

Inuyasha looked at Sesshomaru, who gave away nothing as usual, and shrugged again.

“Yeah I guess so….I think its all taken care of.”

“Well then,” Miroku chirped before he spun to face Sesshomaru. Bowing low the monk continued. “Thank you very much for your hospitality Lord Sesshomaru.”

Sesshomaru’s lips twitched slightly, obviously amused, but his face remained blank as he tilted his head in the slightest of nods.

“Kiss-ass.” Inuyasha teased.

“Manners never hurt anyone my friend.” Miroku countered.

If he had been feeling better Inuyasha would probably have taken a friendly swipe at the monk just to counter that, but he just didn’t have the energy. Unsettling to be sure, and a stark reminder that they needed to get moving.

Inuyasha turned his attention to the two demon warriors and sighed.

“So…you two volunteered.” Inuyasha stated rather then asked. Though he stressed the word volunteered.

“That’s right.” Alir chirped cheerfully, though Inuyasha could swear it had a smug edge to it.

“Something like that.” Tren grumbled.

That got Inuyasha’s attention, and he started at the red head, flicking his eyes once to Sesshomaru and then back. Alir gave Tren a sideways look and short-elbowed him in the ribs.

Tren grunted, and only looked more annoyed at his brother’s behavior.

“Lord Sesshomaru in no what has forced or ordered me to be here.” He stated earnestly, though he did add a sigh and Inuyasha could have sworn he heard a grumbled -he didn’t have to- under Tren’s breath.

Well….even if Sesshomaru hadn’t followed it to the letter there was nothing Inuyasha could do about it. If he tried to leave without them then would just follow, or Sesshomaru would try to stop him completely. Broken deal he would no doubt say.

Considering the way he felt, he couldn’t hope to fight Sesshomaru off. So…

“Alright then.” Inuyasha declared. “I guess I’ll introduce you as we go…and we had better get going.”

Inuyasha jerked his head in the direction of his group. Alir gave a nod, Tren just sighed again, but the both started walking. They were eyed warily by the two women. Sango obviously due to their demon nature and her slayer upbringing, and Kagome…well who knew?

Turning back to Sesshomaru Inuyasha clasped his hands together in front of him.

“Okay…well…a week then..” Inuyasha forced out, unsure of what to say.

Sesshomaru was being so still, so quiet, so…unnerving. Inuyasha had thought that he had been getting better at reading his half-brother…but right now he wasn’t getting anything. Sesshomaru could be pissed, amused, thinking about sheep….Inuyasha didn’t have a clue.

With a little salute Inuyasha turned away and started to walk away. Which was hard to do and keep from flinching when he could clearly feel Sesshomaru’s stare on his back. What was he looking for? Why was he being so…dead?

That was his own job after all. Fuck…

Was Sesshomaru trying to get him to slip up somehow and reveal something? As it was Inuyasha didn’t have a clue how Sesshomaru was going to react when he showed up dead.

Pissed off came to mind. Sesshomaru had said often enough that if Inuyasha was going to die, it would be him that caused it.

Inuyasha just hoped his group would be safe…maybe he would have time to leave a will or a letter or something. Not that he really had anything at all, just his Fang. Which Sesshomaru would get whether it was left to him or not.

So maybe if he left it to Sesshomaru, just let him have it, the demon would be pacified a bit. It was a hope…and really what did Inuyasha care? With him gone there was no one else that he knew of that would wield Tetsusaiga that he knew of…so why not? Besides if it was with Sesshomaru then it wasn’t likely to fall into undesirable hands.

The last thing Inuyasha wanted was for Koga, or Naraku to get their slimy hands on it. The fact that they couldn’t use it meant nothing…it would be a trophy and that was something Inuyasha could not allow.

Something soft started to curl around Inuyasha’s waist, and he jumped. But he figured out what it was without even having to look down.

Sesshomaru’s tail.

Soon his feet were no longer touching the ground and then he was back to chest with his elder brother. Sesshomaru’s arms gently closed around him, and Inuyasha relaxed in spite of himself.

Sesshomaru was so warm, and his body heat seeped through Inuyasha’s flesh and settled pleasantly in his aching bones. It felt so good, and Inuyasha felt groggy.

It would be so easy to forget everything and fall asleep in that embrace. Something in him wanted to do so too. It pushed at him, but Inuyasha fought against it.

Fought against the annoying urge to let Sesshomaru take over, take care of him, maybe even protect him from his fate.

He was younger, and knew enough about Inu to understand most of his instincts. The older protect the young and the young submit to the elder. That was just how it worked.

“Fuck. That.” Inuyasha thought.

He didn’t care if millennia’s of refined blood in his veins pushed for it, didn’t care if that was how it had worked since their first ancestor rose up and howled his glory.

Inuyasha the unwanted, Inuyasha the wandering hanyou submitted to NO ONE.

“I’ve got to get going Sesshomaru.” Inuyasha declared, putting a little heat into his voice, letting Sesshomaru know he was angered, and a bit embarrassed.

He didn’t want to raise his eyes and see everyone staring at him right now. But they had already noticed no doubt. Which meant he was going to have to waste precious time explaining shit he didn’t want to talk about and that didn’t matter anyway.


“I do not wish for you to go.” Sesshomaru admitted softly, burying his face in Inuyasha’s hair as he did.

“It doesn’t matter.” Inuyasha replied. “I still have to go.”
Sesshomaru sighed, his hot breath tickling the back of Inuyasha’s neck, but he did let go. Inuyasha got a whole three steps away before Sesshomaru spoke again.

“You are hiding something from me little brother.”

Inuyasha stiffened, and turned around to face the elder Inu. Crap…what had he done? Had he given himself away somehow? Or was Sesshomaru just…just that good?

“I didn’t lie.” Inuyasha growled.

“I did not say that you did.” Sesshomaru countered, his face blank and his eyes far too inspective for Inuyasha’s taste. “But you are hiding something. I know this.”
At one time Inuyasha would have fidgeted under Sesshomaru’s penetrating stare. He didn’t like being looked at like he was being looked right through. But recent events had been informative, and he had learned.

Mirroring Sesshomaru’s stare and posture as easy enough. A cheap imitation perhaps but even if Sesshomaru knew it, what could he do? After all…Inuyasha had seen quite clearly that one could know and yet still have their hands completely tied recently.

Who knew how long they two of them might have stood there, staring gat each other had a little kitsune not had a question.

“Un...Inu- I mean Fa- er…um” Shippo fumbled.

Inuyasha smiled sadly and looked down at the kitsune who clutched at his leg.

“Inuyasha will do just fine kid.” The hanyou informed. “You already have a Father, and I’m not him. You should honor him kay?”

Shippo looked a bit torn, so Inuyasha forged on.

“So...whatcha need? We’re leaving…no worries.”

Shippo shook head.

“Uh no…its not that. Um…I was wondering…what’s a consort?”

Uhh….the gears in Inuyasha’s head creaked, turned, and then stalled.

Crap….a person who…consorts…with another? Fuck…why was Shippo always asking him and weird crap? Why couldn’t he ever ask how to make something dead…or piss off Kagome…or do both at once. That was actually something Inuyasha was good at.

Shippo was looking up at him with big, expectant eyes but Inuyasha was drawing a complete blank, and Sesshomaru could obviously see it on his face.

“Under what circumstances?” Sesshomaru asked, tossing Inuyasha a lifeline. Shippo turned his head towards the demon Lord.

“Huh?” He muttered in confusion.

“Is it a human consort, or a demon’s consort?” Sesshomaru clarified, and Inuyasha couldn’t believe that the ice prince was actually…well doing this.

“Um…well…before we came here and Koga was helping to look for Inuyasha and all that. Well…I heard Koga mumbling something about making Miroku is consort.” Shippo answered. “He was staring at Miroku a lot, touching him too.”

What the hell would wolf-shit want with the monk of all people?

“Ah…” Sesshomaru pushed out as if everything in the world had been explained…something Inuyasha truly hated, because the bastard almost always DID know just what it meant. “Well young kit…a demon’s consort, especially if it is a human, is little more then a sex slave.”

Seriously…how did smug ass Sesshomaru always know-wait a minute.

“It means what?!” Inuyasha snapped.

“A demon’s consort is a pleasure slave. They are primarily remanded to the bedchambers, often shackled to the bed itself. Their only purpose is to service their owner, and anyone else their master allows. To put it simply little brother, their only purpose is to be a warm-”

“-Hole-” Inuyasha growled.

“-Willing or not.” Sesshomaru unfinished matter-of-factly.

“What the fuck…” Inuyasha snarled. First Kagome and now Miroku? “The shitty wolf wants to rape Miroku?” He hissed.

“It might start out as that yes.” Sesshomaru informed. “Until he submits to it that is. Then generally he would receive better treatment.”

Generally…Gods….

Inuyasha had known Koga was an asshole…but nothing at all like this. What could possibly be going through the wolf’s brain? Maybe Shippo had heard wrong, but why take the chance?

“You know…if you run into the stupid wolf…I won’t be angry at all if you just kill him.” Inuyasha grumbled.

“Duly noted.” Sesshomaru stated flatly, and in a way that told Inuyasha that such a meeting could very well be Koga’s last moment.

“Well good ear kid.” Inuyasha told Shippo, rubbing him on the head as he did. “I’ll handle it.”

Pleased with himself the kit scampered back towards the waiting group, and from the looks on the humans were giving him, Inuyasha had had a feeling he was going to get bombed with inquires before long.

Great…

“Look Sesshomaru…I did everything you asked, I’m taking the banging brothers, and I do appreciate the information you just gave but…what more do you want?” Inuyasha grumped. “I have to go.”

“Yes…you have been very agreeable.” Sesshomaru said, but his tone outright suspicious. “So I will be expecting you in a week.”

Then, without another word, Sesshomaru turned and left Inuyasha staring at his back.

It was so annoying to be dismissed like that…it was so arrogant…so…Sesshomaru.

But it was what Inuyasha had wanted in the first place so….

“Dead man walking…” He whispered to himself.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Inuyasha couldn’t believe it. He had never felt so weak in his entire life. As it was he was struggling just to keep up with his humans. He was doing his best to keep anyone from seeing it, but he could tell he was going to need to stop before long or someone would notice.

There was about an hour left before the sun would set, and Inuyasha was determined to make it that far. But the entire universe seemed to be working against him.

One of the problems was that Shippo had sat himself on Inuyasha’s shoulder, and the hanyou could swear it felt like he was carrying a bolder. He was nearly out of breath, his knee’s felt hollow, and light headed as all hell.

It was all he could do to keep from stumbling and falling flat on his face. Which he just could not allow….he had enough damage control on his hands from Sesshomaru’s touchy feely display.

He had just barely been able to stave them off, promising to explain when they bedded down for the night. He had been hoping to save his…explanations for Kaede’s, but now he felt that he would have to spill it much, much sooner.

He had been positive that he had enough to make it to the old hag’s….but ever since they had gotten a few miles from Sesshomaru’s castle he had started to drain fast.

It was beyond unsettling…feeling his very life drain away.

He felt like he could pass out while walking. Pass out and never wake up again. He wasn’t sure he liked that idea either, it would be painless sure…but…..

Inuyasha shook his head, dislodging the thought. Thinking about it was going to help anything, the only thing it could do was make him feel worse.

Inuyasha focused on the three humans and two demons in front of him. Alir and Tren had taken the slight lead, they were in front, but also in a position to correct in case it was needed as Inuyasha was fairly certain that they didn’t know where they were going at all.

The two girls were chatting quietly amongst themselves and Miroku was keeping one eye on demon’s ahead of him and the other on Sango’s ass as usual.

Suddenly a thought popped into Inuyasha’s head, and he kicked himself mentally. He hadn’t even introduced everyone yet. Neither set knew the other one and now he knew he was really slipping.

Alir and Tren could be used to it for all he knew, but he was surprised that his humans hadn’t said anything. He was grateful in a way…but the omission worried him. He wasn’t dense but thoughts were coming slowly and he felt almost as if he were in a fog.

Inuyasha rotated his shoulders and groaned through his teeth. It ridiculous but Shippo’s weight felt like it was breaking his shoulder. It truly felt like the bones were going to give at any moment but that didn’t make any sense.

He could understand his youki draining and his flesh losing strength…but how the hell could his bones weaken?

He didn’t have a clue, Kagome might know of something but it wasn’t like he could ask her, nor could anything be done about it anyway. All he did know at the moment was that he had to get Shippo off of his shoulder before he fell down.

But how to do it without snapping or hurting the kit’s feelings? It was then that Inuyasha’s eyes settled on Miroku, and a light bulb flicked on.

“Hey Shippo.” Inuyasha whispered to the kit.

“What?” Shippo whispered back.

“I dare you to scare Miroku.”

The kit turned his head to look at the oblivious monk, whose hand was steadily creeping closer and closer to Sango’s ass. Obvious was the right word for sure, Miroku was off in his own world, aware only of Sango and her movements.

Had to focus so that he didn’t get caught prematurely of course.

Shippo grinned a classic mischievous kitsune grin, and his tails wagged back and forth giddily.

“I’m on it.”

Shippo’s body coiled as Miroku’s hand inched closer and closer, his little kitsune mind calculating. With a soft grunt Shippo launched himself silently into the air.

Inuyasha’s whole body lurched from the force of Shippo pushing off of him, and he very nearly fell.

Good gods….he really was as weak as he felt if Shippo could nearly topple him.

“HA!” Shippo shouted as he landed on the back of Miroku’s head just as the monk’s hand was about to reach its target.

“WAH!” Miroku screamed in surprise, his upper body lurching forward.

The monk tried to compensate, but he was far too off balance. He swung around, perhaps trying to use his staff to steady himself. Shippo was nearly thrown off, but hung tight to Miroku’s hair.

The spin only made the situation worse however, Miroku was going down.

Shippo’s hand shot out, trying grab something to pull himself away so he wouldn’t get squished under tumbling monk. Sango was just close enough for Shippo to get a grip on her neckline.

Unfortunately for her the fabric was not nearly strong enough to resist Shippo’s small, but sharp claws aided by the combined weight of Miroku and Shippo.

Rrrrrriiiiiippp! THUD!

The two boys hit the ground and for a few moments it was as if time had stopped as Sango’s skin tight slayer uniform slip open like a stage curtain being drawn.

Sango stared down at her ample assets in open mouthed shock. Miroku’s eyes bulged and blood spurted out of his nose like Kagome’s bathroom sink at the sight.

The miko herself covered his mouth in gasping mortification, though Inuyasha noted a hint of jealousy in her eyes.

The shook soon wore off and Sango screamed in outrage and swiftly clobbered Miroku and Shippo with one shot of her massive weapon.

All that screaming and movement certainly got things…bouncing.

Inuyasha grinned though his laughter as Sango covered herself with her giant boomerang.

That had gone even better then he could have hoped. Amusement and a show…nice.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome shrieked. “Stop staring!”

“Hey…every man deserves to see at least one set of nice breasts before they die.” Inuyasha thought.

Inuyasha looked down at the fallen kit and monk as Sango ran off into the woods, with Kagome in hot pursuit. He could practically see the stars in the two males eyes.

“Good job kid.” Inuyasha whispered, smiling in spite of a sudden pang in his chest. “That was a good going away present.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Inuyasha was completely exhausted. Which was nothing short of ridiculous since they had only gone another half mile after the…incident. But he was, and he practically collapsed after Kagome had declared they should stop.

Inuyasha had never been so thankful for Kagome’s pushy attitude or a sunset in his life. As it was his entire back was soaked with sweat, and his hands wouldn’t stop shaking.

He was hoping he could get it to stop before anyone noticed, or that the dark would cover it for him.

Kirara was already giving him looks however, the damn neko just had to try and ruin everything, but least she couldn’t talk. She was probably just concerned about what she was seeing, but Inuyasha was grateful for her lack of vocal cords regardless. He wasn’t in the mood for a confrontation.

“But why are you mad at me?!” Shippo wailed. “I didn’t do anything!”

“You…you…you exposed me!” Sango snapped.

“It was an accident! Besides…what’s it matter? People saw your chest…I’ve seen lots of chests!” Shippo proclaimed. “I’ve seen Inuyasha’s chest and Miroku’s chest too! Yours is just rounder! Not like its special either! Its way smaller then my Mother’s was, and it saw it all the time when we would take baths and she neve-AHHHH!”

Shippo screamed in fright and came hauling ass past Inuyasha, Sango’s weapon right on his tail.

Inuyasha couldn’t help but chuckle even as an apology screaming Shippo ironically dove into an old foxhole just in time to keep from being bulldozed.

But at the same time he felt sad and heavy. It wasn’t fair…and even now when he had a little time, he didn’t have the strength to do anything with them.

His senses were failing him as well. His ears and nose were barely giving him anything, almost as if someone had thrown a bag over his head.


“Hey Inuyasha.” Kagome suddenly chirped.

Inuyasha’s neck actually creaked audibly when he turned his head towards the girl, and it took a few moments for him to focus his eyes to see more then just a white, green and black blob.

‘Yeah?”

‘Its getting kinda cold.” Kagome pointed out.

Oh shit….

“It is…” Inuyasha agreed slowly.

Hoping against hope Inuyasha’s prayed that she wasn’t going to do what he knew she was totally going to do.

“So…since you’re the big strong one…way don’t you get some firewood?” Kagome continued.

Yep…that’s what he thought she was going to do.

Damn it…Inuyasha wasn’t sure he could even get back up without help, let alone lug around a bunch of wood. But what could he say?

Ka-Thunk!

Both Inuyasha and Kagome jumped as Alir dropped a big armload of wood on the ground behind them.

“Now you’re just trying to get a medal or something.” Inuyasha stated, but inwardly he was beyond thankful.

Without a word Tren started to arrange wood in the center of their group, obviously about to start it up.

“So…uh….who are your new friends?” A re-dressed Sango asked.

Inuyasha’s brain clicked and he nearly smacked himself. He had forgotten again.

“Um…well this is Alir.” Inuyasha reported, pointing to the blond. “And this is his brother Tren.” A point to the spiky redhead. “They work for…um…Sesshomaru obviously, and uh…Tren, Alir…this is Sango, Shippo, Miroku and Kagome.”

Inuyasha pointed to each one that the rattled off. Curt nods were exchanged as adding names to faces apparently did nothing to dampen suspicions between the two sides.

Inuyasha could have laughed honestly, especially when he noticed that each side had made protective moves towards him.

“I feel so loved.” Inuyasha chuckled softly, earning him a curious set of looks. “Sesshomaru wanted me to have bodyguards….I know the two of them a bit.”

“So…what is going on with your brother?” Sango asked.

Inuyasha sighed…as good a time as any he guessed.

“Good question…but I’ll get to that later.”

Kit first though…but how?

“Oi, Shippo.” Inuyasha called out, and the Fox poked his head out of his hidey hole.

“Yeah?”

“How about you go play around in the woods for a while…see if you can’t find anything cool.” Inuyasha suggested.

“Okay!” Shippo exclaimed, popping out of the hole before scurrying off.

Well that was easier then he would have thought, but hey…he wasn’t going to argue.

“Hey…you two think you could watch over him for a spell? Adult talk and all.” Inuyasha requested.

Alir chuckled, clearly amused. Even though Tren looked like he wanted to argue, there wasn’t much he could do when his larger muscled sibling head locked him and pulled him away.

“It is unlike you to share anything my friend.” Miroku said as he made himself comfortable. “Clearly this must be serious.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes….so what if he was private? Sharing only gave people daggers to use against you.

“It is.” Inuyasha stated solemnly, keeping his snark to himself for the moment.

Miroku had been smiling slightly, attempting humor perhaps. But his face fell and sobered at Inuyasha’s agreement.

“Has something happened?” Sango asked.

“You could say that.” Inuyasha replied.

“I did notice that you and Sesshomaru seemed to be getting along still.” Miroku pointed out.. “That’s good…right?”

“If he is being honest, yes.” Inuyasha responded.

“And you don’t think that he is?” Sango inquired.

Inuyasha could only shrug.

“I’m undecided.”

“Which is why you left.” Miroku added, a statement, not a question.

“Kinda.”

“So what’s going on Inuyasha?” Kagome huffed. “Just spill it would you.”

Inuyasha growled at the miko’s impatience. He would say what he had to say when he was good and damn ready, and maybe not at all if the bitching got started. Course he wasn’t sure how to say it in the first place.

He took a deep breath and sighed.

“I’ve never had a family…” Inuyasha started slowly. “I’ve been along and on my own ever since I was four or five years old I think. Every single day was an all out fight for survival. Food, water, shelter, safety…none of that ever came easily…or reliably.”

Inuyasha thought back to all the group’s grievances with him, sifting through to find which ones counted and which were duplicates wasn’t easy, but he tried.

“I’ve lost count of how many times you guys have gotten on me about manners….” Inuyasha continued. “Well when did I have time to learn manners? And who would teach me? When was I supposed to use them anyway? In between the beatings? The bouts of starvation, the near rapes? Perhaps then right…maybe if I had been proper and polite the various demon and human men would have gladly stopped trying to shove their fucking dicks up my ass or down my throat when they thought I was weak without bloodshed. Think that would have worked?”

Inuyasha hadn’t planned on being so acidic, but he couldn’t quite stop himself. He watched the humans faces carefully, looking for what he wasn’t sure, but any reactions he wanted to see.

“I think that’s it.” Inuyasha mused. “You think you all know how I’ve had to live, but you don’t understand even the little that you do know.” Inuyasha shook his head, scoffing at the audacity of it all. “You guys are the closest thing to a family that I have ever had…but I can’t say that I care for the way you’ve treated me at times. I’d like to-”

“-Is this way you wanted? To gripe and criticize us?” Kagome interrupted. “Maybe if-”

“-Let me speak!” Inuyasha snarled, lurching forward from his comfortable reclined position and into a perched, ready to pounce one. “You never let me speak you always interrupt or try to talk over me. If not that you just disregard me! Then you bitch at me for being distant. Let. Me. SPEAK!”

Kagome had that look on her face, the one that old Inuyasha he was just itching to sit him. Too bad for her that she had lost her little torture device.

“You’re such a jerk Inuyasha!” Kagome huffed. “You manhandled me, not once but twice! No apology either! Then you take off with that psycho brother of yours, worrying me sick, doing god knows what. You leave us in that-”

“-Kagome…please…let him talk.” Miroku interrupted gently.

Inuyasha was seething inside, his temper already frayed by the worry and fear caused by what was happening to him. He had wanted to get his grievances out and hopefully be able to put everything to rest while he still had time. But it would figure that Kagome would only care about herself and her worldview. She was such a child sometimes…not surprising considering that was what she actually was.
A child who acted like she was a woman, and didn’t like being told otherwise.

“You know what? Never mind…just forget I said anything.” Inuyasha growled, flopping back to his original position.

Might as well just stay there and wait for it. One place in the woods was as good as any other. He should have known no one would care….should have known.
Kagome let out an exasperated sigh/growl but Inuyasha ignored her. Ignored her and everything else. Even as he heard Sango faintly calling his name, it was easy to ignore. Sounded like it was coming from behind thick stone anyway. Which couldn’t be right, but it certainly felt like his world was being boxed in.

He could faintly hear sounds, but he couldn’t even come close to processing them. Not that it mattered…nothing really mattered anymore. All the work, all the struggles…his entire life…and nothing to show for it.

“Inuyasha!!”

Sound came roaring back in like a crashing typhoon. Inuyasha gasped and nearly jumped out of his skin as Miroku’s face seemed to appear only inches from his own. With his hands on Inuyasha’s shoulders the monk shook him hard. Which hurt his already aching body.

“Inuyasha!” Miroku repeated.

“What?” Inuyasha groaned, giving the monk a hard one handed shove.

Much to his displeasure the monk didn’t go flying like he should have. No…he barely moved…yup…he really had lost most of his strength.

“Are you alright?” Miroku asked, his voice laced with concern. “You just…went blank.”

Miroku looked at his own chest, and then at Inuyasha’s hand. The hanyou could see a light flick on behind the monk’s eyes and he cursed inwardly.

“What’s wrong?” Miroku asked softly, his eyes far too soft and worried for Inuyasha’s liking. “Are you sick?”

“You’re sick?” Kagome’s head snapped to attention.

Oh shit…

In an instant Kagome was in front of him, practically forcing Miroku out of the way in the process. Inuyasha growled as Kagome pressed her wrist into his forehead.

“You don’t feel hot…” Kagome muttered to herself.

Inuyasha was certain that the miko had to have some kind of disorder. She snapped from one extreme to another entirely too fast and easy. From angry to motherly to sulky to worried…insane…had to be.

“Back off…” Inuyasha growled.

Unsurprisingly she just ignored him.

“Stick out your tongue.” Kagome ordered.

Inuyasha’s nostrils flared. This was not how this was supposed to go at all.

“I’m not sick.” Inuyasha insisted.

Kagome clamped her hands on her hips and glared down at him.

“Stop being stubborn.” She huffed.

“I’m not sick.” Inuyasha repeated, firmer this time.

“Inuyasha…there is nothing to be ashamed of.” Sango soothed. “If you’re not feeling well then maybe Kagome can-”

Inuyasha turned her out, turning his head away to stare off at the sky. The girls continued, each trying to coax his cooperation, and Miroku also joined in, trying a different tactic perhaps, Inuyasha didn’t know…it was all just a wall of sound to him.

Fine….it would figure that he wouldn’t be able to do it his way.

“I’m dying.” Inuyasha finally forced out.

The humans shut up so fast it was almost comical. Too bad he couldn’t really enjoy it more.

“W-What?” The all seemed to stammer at once.

Inuyasha sighed, his guts clenching so tightly he wasn’t sure if he could keep the bare bones contents in. Saying it out loud made it all the more real, and Inuyasha would be lying through his teeth if he said he wasn’t frightened.

Dying in battle was one thing, but like this…a slow, creeping death just when it looked like things might just turn around for him.

But just like pain, Inuyasha had dealt with fear his entire life. He had never really stopped being afraid. No matter who old he had become, or what new power he unlocked within his Fang…he never stopped feeling fear. He had just learned to pushed past it, to overpower it with other things…he could handle this.

“I’m dying.” Inuyasha repeated, enunciating slowly.

Silence.

If not for the fact that he could still hear their breathing Inuyasha would have thought the three just disappeared altogether.

“Inuyasha…” Miroku whispered softly.

“That’s not funny!” Kagome snapped, her voice breaking as she popped up off of her knees and onto her feet. “Not funny at all jerk!”

Inuyasha glared at the miko, meeting her upset stare head on. His fingers dug into the ground underneath him as he tried to suppress his own anger.

It was bad enough that she was practically calling him a liar, something that he truly hated, but what right did she have to get upset? At him no less? Like he wanted this…

Growling, Inuyasha pulled his hands up, feeling a strange, soft pain in several of his fingers as he did. In all honesty he was about to go off on the girl, but the sight of his hands stopped him.

His fingers were bleeding slightly, and after a moment he realized why. Almost all of his claws were gone.

The right hand was completely bare, and his left only had the thumb and pinky claws remaining.

Inuyasha heard a soft gasp from somewhere and he smiled sadly as he looked at his trembling hands.

“Falling right apart at the seems aren’t you hanyou?” He whispered. He flexed his fingers, half expecting them to fall off as well.

“Has something happened?” Miroku asked, his voice filled with bewilderment and something akin to pain.

“Poison? From Sesshomaru?” Sango added.

Inuyasha shook his head.

“I’m…just…old I guess.”

“But that doesn’t make any sense!” Kagome protested. “You don’t look any older then me!”

“Looks can be deceiving Kagome.” Inuyasha reported, a fact that he knew well from experience. “I’m two hundred and fifty plus Kagome…and I’m half human. As for what happened…well I guess I had a massive heart attack, that’s what I was told anyway. Nearly killed me…took some fancy crap that I can’t even begin to describe and Sesshomaru’s blood to pull me through. I think that was what got me this far. Anyway…something similar happened hours ago….felt myself fading ever since.”

Inuyasha could almost feel the mood dropping, and collective desperation pooling.

“Then why are we leaving?” Miroku asked. “If you need medical attention that Sesshomaru’s people can provide…we should go back.”

Inuyasha shook his head once more.

“There isn’t anything they can do.”

“But you already said they helped you once before, and if Sesshomaru’s blood is a key…” Sango chimed in. “Older, more powerful demonic blood can be something of a panacea among demons…or so I have been told.”

Inuyasha smiled, it was futile, but it did made him feel a little better, hearing such concern.

“Its not that simple.” Inuyasha informed.

“But-” Kagome started, only to be stopped when Inuyasha held up his hand.

“If it was just the heart thing then okay…maybe. But its not just that, and I’m not sick. My senses are going, my body is all but useless. I’m falling apart from the inside. I…I can feel myself…slipping away. I’m…well I’m starting to think that its my youki, my demonic power, that’s keeping me alive….but its draining away fast.” Inuyasha paused, searching within himself for some kind of answer, but none popped out. “All my life its been a struggle…inside and out…human and demon tugging me from side to side in this…never-ending battle of theirs. I think….I think my human blood has just reached its limit…and gone beyond, and I’m not demon enough to exist without it.”

He couldn’t be sure, but the thought that might explain why he had changed back during his human night. His demon blood had always taken over when his life was in danger, and Tetsusaiga not in his hand. So maybe turning human would have killed him that night, and his demon blood had senses it, went berserk as it always did, and pushed back like normal.

Only this time there wasn’t enough of it left for the full on freak out.

“I’m just old…old and busted up.” Inuyasha muttered. “Broken my arms, both legs, all my ribs, broken back, shattered jaw, busted skull, holes punched in me, broke my back a few more times, shoulders ripped out, ankles smashed, Kagome’s beads broke my back and hips twice more…broken neck….you name it. I’m just out of me.”

Kagome was crying, and both Sango and Miroku’s eyes were wet. It made him feel horrible…He loved them, he hated them, there were everything he had ever had. They needed him…and now he was going to leave.

Inuyasha had always known death could right around the corner, but he had never thought he would be mourned by anyone.

“Listen guys…don’t worry about it. Its life right?” Inuyasha stated firmly. “And I’ve done my best to make sure that things will be taken care of. You know…Naraku and the like.” Inuyasha looked at Sango, and then at Miroku and his cursed hand. “I’m not really sure how steady everything is. But things with Sesshomaru have…changed a bit. I don’t know what or why, but something is different with him. But…I did get his promise, with an oath that I think I can trust, that he’d take over my part and make sure that Naraku dies as soon as possible if something were to happen to me.”

Inuyasha resisted the urge to fidget as their eyes never left him. What…where they expecting him to just vanish at a moments notice?

“Look…I’m not saying you can trust him completely, just point him in the right direction…and I think it’ll work just fine.” Inuyasha reported. “He also promised that he’d take Shippo in.”

“Why would we need him to take Shippo?” Kagome grumped. Inuyasha would let that one go though, Kagome was upset and when she got upset she generally compensated by getting angry at something.

“Because he is a demon, he’ll outlive everyone here…provided he doesn’t get himself killed. But he needs to learn how to be a demon, a kitsune more importantly. He has to learn how to use the power in his blood and no one here can teach that..” Inuyasha explained.

“And Sesshomaru can?” Kagome skeptically asked.

“More then anyone here.” Inuyasha patiently replied. “And even if he can’t, he has kitsune’s under his command that can. Its for the best Kagome, you’re going to go home for good one day and old age will get Miroku and Sango. Hell…you might even see him in your time all grown up Kagome.”

Nobody looked happy, but it wasn’t anger that Inuyasha saw in their eyes.

“How long?” Miroku inquired softly, to which Inuyasha took a deep breath and sighed.

“I don’t know.” Inuyasha admitted. “I thought I had a week…but…I-I really don’t know.”

That seemed to stun everyone even further. Jaws dropped, eyes filled with denial and pain. But…in a way it made Inuyasha feel good. Better then indifference right?

“In-Inuyasha…” Sango gasped. An apology, a denial, and a hope all in her voice. It hurt in a funny way.

Kagome looked like she had been sledge hammered between the eyes and Miroku and an odd look of quiet devastation.

“Listen….I don’t want Shippo to know…not yet at least. So…lets just keep this under wraps please.” Inuyasha stated. “I’m sure they’ll be back soon actually. I can’t really tell…hearing is going as much as anything.”

Inuyasha smiled sardonically…and that was it…not much left to say really. But any kind of feeling of closure or peace eluded him.

He was still worried, for himself, for them. But what else could he do?

At the moment…not a thing because before he could even try to think of something else to say, Shippo came marching out from the brush, his mouth flapping a mile a minute, with and amused Tren and Alir following.

Miroku and Sango turned away form the approaching kitsune, talking steps to compose themselves. But Kagome continued to stare at Inuyasha, her eyes raw and red. The stare bothered him, not only because it might tip Shippo off, but he didn’t like feeling like he was being stared through.

When the kit finally reached them he seemed as cheerful as ever, but then he caught Kagome’s raw stare, and his face fell.

Inuyasha cursed inwardly, but before he could do anything Shippo plastered on a smile and pounced on the miko. The fox caught her hand and started to drag her away to see his collection of…something.

Great timing…But then Inuyasha realized what the kit was doing. He thought that the two of them were fighting and was trying to break it up.

It made Inuyasha feel rather terrible to be honest. No child should have to deal with something like that. Children needed more stability, and not to think that they were responsible for keeping the peace.

Inuyasha understood it though. He had lost his own family before he really could understand what that was, and if he had lucked into some semblance of another one he probably would have done anything to keep it.

Shippo had likewise had his parents taken from him, but the longer Inuyasha watched him work on Kagome the worse he felt.

The kit had certainly not been a model child no, but Inuyasha felt he could have been a better Father figure. Yes Kagome had blocked him time and time again, but he might have been able to try harder.

Sesshomaru or whoever he found would be much better for the kid, Inuyasha was sure of that. That was perhaps the one good thing that could come from all of this. Shippo would be in better hands, and he wouldn’t have the trauma of Inuyasha throwing him away.

Inuyasha nodded to himself, trying to ease the knots in his belly with that one good thought.

It took a while, an hour or so perhaps, but things did start to taper off. Improvised beds were created. Kagome with her sleeping bag, Sango and Miroku basically with their thick robes and small pillows.

Tren and Alir pretty much laid upon one another, snuggled together a little off from the rest of the group.

Inuyasha himself remained in the same spot he had been ever since he had practically collapsed to the ground. He managed to toss a good sized chunk of wood into the fire to keep it going, and rubbed at his cold, achy brow.

He sighed to himself as he watched the glowing embers. If only he could add another log to his own flame…

He stretched himself slowly, and everything seemed to crack painfully. His eyes slowly roamed over his slumbering companions and he managed a smile.

He could keep watch over them while they slept….one last time.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A particularly loud pop from the fire jarred Miroku awake, and he pushed himself up with a yawn. Blinking slowly he wondered what time it was. It had to be late…it was pitch black out, he didn’t even see any stars.

Groaning as he cracked his back, Miroku rolled over and nearly jumped out of his skin when Inuyasha’s voice cut through the dark.

“Cold wake you up?”

Once his heart came out of his throat Miroku answered.

“No…just did.”

He noticed the fire was mostly embers, but it could be started back up.

“What about you?” Miroku asked.

If the hanyou was could, Miroku would be more then happy to get the fire raging again.

“No…” Came Inuyasha’s tired reply, and something in his voice set off bells in Miroku’s mind.

“Have…have you slept at all?” He asked.

A humorless chuckle came back..

“No.” Inuyasha repeated.

“Well…why not?” Miroku countered. “I-Is there something you need? I’m sure I can-”

“-Don’t worry about it.” Inuyasha interrupted.

Like hell…as if that was even remotely possible.

“Its not problem at all. Please I can-”

“-Just afraid I wont wake up.” Inuyasha whispered softly.

Miroku almost didn’t catch it, but when he did…his heart just broke.

He still couldn’t believe it, it just couldn’t be possible. Inuyasha was too strong, too stubborn, too…too lucky to just up and die. Miroku couldn’t even wrap his mind around the idea of Inuyasha not being around.

“Inuyasha…are…are you sure-”

“Yes.”

“But it doesn’t-”

“It does.”

“But you can’t be-”

“I am.”

Frustrated, upset and nearing that special kind of heartbreak that only the loss of a true friend could bring, Miroku wanted to scream.

‘But…well there is one thing that I would like to ask of you.” Inuyasha gently stated.

“Yes? What would that be?” Miroku responded somewhat eagerly.

He was a little too far into -must help0 mode to notice Inuyasha’s sudden proper wording and tone, which should have worried him if he had of caught it.

“I never found my Mother’s body, so she never got a real burial, or any kind of services as far as I know. I seriously doubt the fucks that burned our home to the ground took the time to take her our first after they chased me out. But…I’ve always worried that…somehow that damaged her soul or something.” Inuyasha began. “ I always figured I would just be killed one day and left to rot or eaten. But if its gonna be like this…well I was wondering if you would be willing to perform my service. I mean…as a monk…you should know the right way…right? You know…make sure nothing happens to me.”

Everything in Miroku slammed to a halt as he processed the request. His throat closed off, his heart seemed to skip, and for a second he thought that he might actually pass out.

The finality of it all, it pushed tears down his cheeks. He couldn’t breath, couldn’t move, couldn’t speak.

“Could you do that for me?” Inuyasha asked hesitantly, as if he expected to be denied now.

Miroku tried to swallow the anvil that had lodged itself in his throat so that he could speak.

“Yes, I can do that. It would be m-” Miroku froze. In a way it was an honor, but it wasn’t. He didn’t want to do it, didn’t want to HAVE to do it. “I would be ha-” No…no he would not be happy to do it. Damn it…

“I can do it.” Miroku repeated, giving up entirely.

‘Thank you. I appreciate it.” Inuyasha whispered.

Miroku squinted, trying to see more then an outline of the hanyou in the dark.

“Go to sleep monk.” Inuyasha said. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

Sleep was the furthest thing in his mind right now. But he didn’t know what to say or do.

“You’d better.” Miroku groused.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
To say that Inuyasha was tired as he watched the sun proudly rise above the horizon would be an understatement. It had been one of the longest nights of his life, and reminded him all too much of his childhood.

Hiding…alone and afraid. Feeling death lurking but unable to see it, unable to drive it away.

Agonizing is what it had been…feeling the moments tick away, feeling himself tick away. But now, as before, he had made it through the night, and he didn’t’ really feel any worse then he had.

A plus perhaps…but either way there was nothing he could do but go forward.

It had taken him a good seven minutes to pull himself up into a standing position, but he was up now, and so was the sun…so it was time to go.

“Alright you lazy bums…get up! Lets go!” Inuyasha commanded, clapping his hands together for effect.

Groaning and sluggish movement followed, and Inuyasha had to smile. To their credit, grumbly as they were, Tren and Alir were the fist one to respond. Then the monk, which didn’t really surprise Inuyasha. He would bet money that Miroku never really went back to sleep after their chat.

Sango and her neko stirred, awake but not rising yet.

Annnnd then of course Shippo and Kagome brought up the rear.

It made Inuyasha grin, and he felt a little warm inside. It was nothing new really, him dragging their asses up, but it brought good feelings nonetheless.

Somehow Alir’s shirt had been removed during the night, and he pawed around for it as he let out a big yawn. Inuyasha didn’t know where it had went, didn’t know if he wanted to know how it got there either. But he was pretty certain that they hadn’t had sex…and if they actually had then they couldn’t have enjoyed it with how quiet they had been all night.

But the blond’s half naked-ness did give Inuyasha a chance to observe a demonic body that wasn’t Sesshomaru’s.

The marks on Alir’s body instantly draw his eye. They sat upon his chest, one wrapped diagonally around his bicep, and one seemed to flare out from around his belly button. But compared to Sesshomaru’s mark, and the one that sat on Inuyasha’s own chest, they seemed rather plain.

They were a dark color, and more a design then a picture. Nothing like the twin suns on Sesshomaru’s neck or the rose entwined moons on his chest.

Inuyasha couldn’t help but wonder why. Was it because of the type of demon they were, which he still wasn’t sure on, or something else? Did the noble blood that Sesshomaru always yammered on about actually mean something?

He was so lost in thought that Inuyasha didn’t realize that he had been staring into Alir’s eyes for almost a minute. Blinking, Inuyasha nearly recoiled as if struck as Alir winked at him.

“So sorry if you like what you see. I’m quite taken.” Alir teased, batting his eyelashes as he pushed his lower lip out in a pout.

“Yeah…I can tell he’s really stuck IN you.” Inuyasha countered.

Alir actually blushed and averted his eyes. Tren coughed and threw Alir’s shirt in his face.

“….gonna fucking kill that kit.” Alir grumbled.

Inuyasha couldn’t’ help but grin, and had to wonder why the blond fox hadn’t come along too. When Inuyasha had stated volunteer only he had been pretty sure he would have the kit all over it. Atrius just seemed like that kind of guy.

“I’m rather surprised not to see him actually.” Inuyasha admitted.

Tren’s face hardened into a look a pure annoyance.

“Oh he jumped at it. But Lord Sesshomaru declared it was a twofer, had to have a partner. Preve refused, and before Atrius could hit the guardhouse for a second…this -WHACK!- runt locked us both in!” Tren explained, knuckling his sibling in the head while he was trying to pull his shirt over his head.

“Ah!” Alir squeaked, spinning halfway around as he tried to blindly avoid any repeat blows.

But the movement gave Inuyasha his back…and it was there that he saw something truly interesting.

It was a snow topped mountain, sorta reminded Inuyasha of Fuji, complete with big, white, fluffy clouds. There was even a little forest at its foot, right where Alir’s kidneys were. It was…breathtaking….the colors…so vibrant, so real.

Inuyasha wasn’t exactly a purveyor of fine art, Shippo’s drawings were his only real experience with the medium. But the scene on Alir’s back could put any professional painter to shame he would bet.

Because it wasn’t like he was looking at a picture. No…it was more like the real deal. Like Alir’s back was some kind of window elsewhere. Hell…Inuyasha could almost swear the clouds were moving and the tree’s were swaying in the breeze.

They weren’t, couldn’t be, but he had to focus hard just to get past it.

When Tren caught him staring however, he growled aggressively and yanked Alir’s shirt down swiftly. Inuyasha blinked, wondering if he had just committed some kind of demonic faux pas, not that he cared really, and what was he supposed to do to correct it…not that he would if it was any kind of pain in the ass.

Alir however simply giggled and gave Tren’s face a gentle palm shove.

“If you didn’t want anyone to see it, then you wouldn’t have made it so big, nor put it on my back.”

“You know size isn’t something you can control.” Tren pushed back meekly.

“I know, I know.” Alir soothed, planting a soft kiss on his mate’s lips. “Just goes to show how much of your -rock- I am.”

Inuyasha pinched the bridge on his nose. All the hidden meanings and symbolism and other…crap…in demon life could kill a guy.

Oh wait…

Inuyasha rolled his eyes at his internal gallows humor.

“So what the hell is it?” Inuyasha grumped.

“Sealing the deal.” Alir stated.

Inuyasha blinked.

“I-it’s the final mark. Personal an-and private. Commitment, personal value, love…everything you feel for that person mixes into an image, one that means something to you. B-But you can’t control what it is really.” Tren clarified, stammering in embarrassment.

“I take it its so big because you love him lots?” Inuyasha teased. He couldn’t help it, might as well mess with someone.

Tren blushed, but Alir laughed.

“No…size doesn’t mean anything. Though I’ve seen marks that cover the entire body. Its the vividness that shows emotion, the clarity. I don’t know what the word I should use is…realness?”

Confusing…but Inuyasha got the point.

“So…if you see some flat…dull thing…” Inuyasha trailed off.

“Mating of convenience I’d say.” Alir mused. “Probably hate one another.”

“Wait…you two are…m-married?” Miroku stammered, joining the conversation suddenly.

Kagome was still dozing and Sango was off in the woods. Handling her morning business no doubt. Which was probably good…this could get…awkward.

“I guess that’s the human word.” Alir said.

“But-But didn’t Inuyasha say you were brothers?” Miroku half whimpered, looking back at Inuyasha for clarification.

“He did and we are.” Alir purred, pushing out his lips, which he wetted sensually, as he started through his lashes.

Great…gob smacked monk…..just what he needed.

“Ugh…don’t make that face.” Inuyasha grunted.

“And why not?” Alir asked in the same darkly sweet voice.

“Cause you look like you want to suck something off, and I’ve no time for your butt-fuckery.” Inuyasha quipped.

Tren actually chuckled, but Alir simply licked his lips and turned his head to very blatantly stare at Tren’s crotch.

“Mmm…now THAT sounds nice.”

If anything Tren’s skin flushed an even deeper shade of red then it did before, and Miroku likewise looked….off.

Something that could catch the monk, oh if only he had known sooner.

“Well there’ll be none of that.” Inuyasha stated. “So get it in gear.”
Alir rolled his eyes dramatically and reached over for his boots. Tren just look happy for the change in topic so Inuyasha decided not to tease at the moment.

Turning to Miroku Inuyasha sighed.

“Weird’s me out too, but I guess they’re competent at what they do.” Inuyasha informed, earning a braying laugh from Alir. “Kinda stuck…so just let it roll…and would someone please get Kagome up!”

Inuyasha was just expecting Miroku to give her a nudge, or the returning Sango to take care of his request. But without a word Alir strode over and grabbed one of Kagome’s legs within her sleeping back. With one arm he hauled her upside down in the air, groggy, unaware, sleepy protests and all. He held her for a moment…and then released her leg while holding onto the bag.
Gravity took hold, and the girl slid right out of the bag, landing right on the back of her bead some two seconds later.

“Rise and shine human.” Alir chirped.
It wasn’t’ nearly high enough to actually deal real damage, but that didn’t stop Kagome from going off like he had tossed her off of a cliff.

Inuyasha chuckled under his breath at Kagome going off on someone else for a change, though he hoped she didn’t believe she could actually faze the blond demon.

Not a bad start to the day though.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Inuyasha couldn’t believe it, but he was actually missing Sesshomaru’s pushy ass and his cart. The amount of effort it was taking just to walk was ridiculously. He was slowing them all down noticeably.

His humans were watching him closely and with worry in their eyes. Hell…Kagome looked as if she was about to cry again. Even Shippo was starting to give him looks.

Maybe he shouldn’t have said anything at all?

Tren and Alir were also watching, what they where thinking or would do was unknown to him. But he had been repeatedly asked by both sides if he was alright, or wanted to stop for a spell. He had staved them all of thus far, however…he wasn’t sure he could do that much longer.

He could have laughed at the looks they were giving each other though. Clearly the two sides thought that they knew something the other didn’t.

In all honesty though…no he wasn’t alright, and yes he wanted to stop. He wanted it all to stop. He wanted to feel better. He wanted to BE better.

But there was no point in railing against something you couldn’t change. He had learned that years ago.

Inuyasha wiped the sweat from his brown and his skin felt cold and clammy even to him. Probably not good….

Gods…why was it so hard to move? Why was everything cramping so badly? His throat burned and his mouth tasted horrible. His stomach was churning and bubbling so badly he worried that he might through up. What would come up he didn’t know, he hadn’t eaten, or even wanted to in quite a while.

Inuyasha stopped, wobbling slightly as a sudden rush of lightheadedness nearly caused him to drop.

“Inuyasha?” Sango nudged, the first to notice.

Inuyasha shook his head, trying to clear it. But that only made things worse, and soon his hand was groping the air for something to steady himself before he really did fall. A tree or a rock would have been sufficient, but instead a quick footed Tren took the job.

“LoRd InuYASHA? ArE yOu aLrIght?”

More then the head rush, Tren’s warbling voice frightened Inuyasha. It was like someone was twisting the knob on Kagome’s radio back and forth.

“I…I’m fine.” Inuyasha managed to force out, but even he could tell that he was slurring badly. “Jus…Just need to catch my breath.”

A total crock, but what else could he say?

“That’s enough. Stop it.” A voice rang out in his head as clear as day.

What the? Stop what? What was-

THUMP-THUMP!
Everything in Inuyasha’s body froze as his heart spasmed, feeling like he had just had a war hammer taken to it. The world swirled and bled together in front of his eyes, and he started to fall.

Tren held on to him, or someone did anyone…Inuyasha couldn’t really tell anymore. He tried to speak, but blood was rushing up his throat. His words were drowned and garbled behind a thick gout of blood that sprayed out of his mouth.

“Lay him down! Lay him down!” Someone shouted frantically.

Only the vaguest sense of movement made it to Inuyasha’s limited awareness as the world was sucked away.

“-can we do?”

Inuyasha could vaguely tell that people were touching him, and he could catch bits and pieces of what was being said. But it all felt and sounded so far away…tired…that’s what he was.

Tired of stress, tired of the pain, tired of being so damn tired.

But it wasn’t fair…why now? Why couldn’t he finish? Was it really too much to ask? It was bad enough that he was leaving so much undone, causing all his vows to be broken.

But he couldn’t even get time to say goodbye. He couldn’t even have a little time to spend with his friends. To prepare Shippo?

“-not breathing!”

No…not like this. He couldn’t just give up.

“-tilt his head back! Keep it-”

He refused to just lay down and die.

He pushed, his spirit, his will, he didn’t know with what. But he pushed against the overwhelming black.

In a way it was like trying to lift something heavier then he ever had before.

But his vision popped back, and he was able to make out people hovering over him. Too blurry to tell who was who though. For a second his other senses kicked back in, as sharp and clear as ever.

He could hear everyone squawking, the wind blowing, everything. His nose was back, and the wind smelled crisp and sweet.

And….and….oh no….oh Gods no….

Everyone’s attention was focused solely on him…and he was their….FUCK!

Fighting with everything he had left Inuyasha got his eyes to focus long enough to see Alir’s face looking down on him. If this was to be his last minutes in this world, if this was the very last thing he ever did….he had to try and give them a chance.

With all of his strength Inuyasha forced his arm, that now felt more like lead, up to snag Alir’s long blond hair. He pulled as hard as he could, trying to get the demon close enough to understand.

To arms? Is that what Sesshomaru had said?

Inuyasha tried to repeat it himself, but all that came out was wet, garbled nonsense as more blood had filled his mouth and throat. Inuyasha choked, sputtering on his own life fluid, and Alir pulled away, uttering smooth attempts and reassurances as he did.

Now they were trying to hold him down as Kagome rattled something. Inuyasha couldn’t even hop to fight off Tren’s restraining hands as he started to panic.

Stupid fuckers! He wanted to scream.

Weak, tired, and desperate Inuyasha gave one last push.

Hauling his legs up he kicked Kagome in the chest as hard as he could, sending her stumbling back before she could put in whatever she was trying to put in his mouth.

He wasn’t going to bite off his tongue if he could help it! Even if he did…so what?! Dead people didn’t sweat things like that.

Swallowing hard, Inuyasha sucked in the deepest breath he could. Not caring about the blood that was pulled into his lungs, not caring about the possibility of choking to death. Though all the pain and the misguided help of his friends Inuyasha focused all his will on screaming out one single thing.

“NARAKU!!”


To be continued.

Suck that cliffhanger bitches. Suck it HARD. XD

Yeah so…sorry for the long wait. But after one of my dog’s death and then my Aunt’s death, and then work troubles…well I’ve just been blown out.