InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Just another sesshy/kagome fanfic ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome jumped back away from the rabid mongrel, only to fall when her ankle gave, she watched as it landed directly on top of the area she had just occupied, and she flinched when it turned to snarl at her. Its fangs were bared, and foam dripped from its muzzle, the wolf seemed to smirk at its preys inability to properly run, or fight back. The young Miko shivered involuntarily as her holy magic finally surfaced flowing off her in tendrils in an attempt to ward off the evil creature trying to kill her. However, it was too late, as the wolf had launched itself at her shivering form, burying its fangs deeply into her jugular and breaking her neck before being incinerated in the blast of pinkish power that exploded from her as she was killed. The only clues that remained of the wolf's existence were its fang marks in the young lady's neck, a scorch mark, and the still echoing howl it had loosed as it was blasted.
Kagome's body lay alone, slumped against a tree, with her head turned slightly to the side. Her eyes were opened slightly and a shining tear was halfway formed within her shining brown iris. This was how a not-too-impressed demon lord found her moments afterwards, his face as unreadable as always as he surveyed her bleeding form. A curiosity was piqued within him, as he stared at this young woman, and on whim he stooped down to study her, trailing the tips of his claws in her blood, not even flinching as the holy energy within it hissed and sizzled against his skin. The Taiyoukai brought his hand to his nose, and gently wafted the scent of her blood, which did not smell quite as revolting as any other blood he had smelt. Considering she was human, this was quite the feat, seeing as most humans smelled rather badly. The demon lord tilted his head slightly as he felt a pulse at his side, and was surprised, not to find the Tenseiga (sp?) pulsing, but to find pinkish tendrils apparently harassing the sword within its sheathe. Sesshomaru flicked the young miko's blood off his claws and with his remaining arm drew the Tenseiga narrowing his eyes slightly as the small imp-like creatures formed all about him.
Once graceful arc was all it took to dispose of them, and heal the wound upon the young woman's neck. With care uncommon to his nature, Lord Sesshomaru took the young woman within his arm and stood, turning toward the direction Ah-Un and Rin waited. He felt the teen wake in his arms, and heard her heart rate quicken, fear had never smelt so sweet in his nostrils. He came into the clearing with the blood-soaked miko and deposited her upon a slightly ashamed two headed dragons back.
Well at least we thought she was a miko… they thought to each other as they exchanged guilty looks. Sesshomaru, however, paid them no heed, as this was the first time they had misjudged the safety of another. Jaken, however, was going to be punished severely, when the Taiyoukai was done kicking him awake, from the bushes. The demon lord ignored his pathetic groveling and proceeded to throw him into the distance, until he was naught but a dot on the moonless horizon. The young miko was still unnerved from her encounter with the wolf, and then her experience of dying. She began shivering once more as she remembered the cold feel of it.
I never want to die again… she stated to herself, knowing in her mind that her final day was coming upon her with every moment she lived. She turned to Sesshomaru, who was facing away from her, with all intent of somehow paying him back for reviving her.
“Thank you, Sesshomaru-sama.” She stated with utmost honesty, “I will repay you.” She added under her breath so that even he had to strain to hear. She then turned her gaze away from the demon lord and back to the slumbering Rin, smiling slightly at her innocence. Kagome had no motive to sleep, she felt wide awake and ready for anything. The young miko slid from the now moving Ah-Un's back and strolled forward to fall in place just behind Lord Sesshomaru, who ignored her as usual. She was contented, however, for she really had nothing to speak of anyway. Just following this man, was enough to keep her as happy as she could be.
“Rin stay back!” The raven haired beauty shouted as she felled yet another of the demons with her bow and arrows. The young child nodded, a determined look upon her features, as she stepped behind the miko. Kagome glanced over her shoulder for an instant to check on the child before returning to firing the last of her arrows at the very heart of the mob…where another of the lonely shikon shards was to be seen. Her last arrow ate through the crowd of youaki, and destroyed their lord, whom had been hidden from normal eyes by the mass of his followers.
The young miko grabbed Rin by the collar of her kimono and ran at full speed toward the falling shard, diving just in time to catch it in her outstretched hand. She then gazed up at the retreating demons, thankful that she had protected both her life and the life of the child Rin. Kagome placed the shard into the pocket of the pearl white miko garb she wore, twisting away from the grotesque scene of mutilated bodies the young woman continued on her way, towing an unusually quite Rin behind her.
“I wish Sesshomaru-sama would return soon.” Rin sighed. Kagome patted the girl upon her head for reassurance, for she had been thinking that same thing. The pair of them continued on for a short while before finally deciding that they should rest, lest they run into another group of those vile youaki. The priestess seated herself upon the low crotch of a tree, gesturing for Rin to come lay upon her lap for both warmth and protection. Within the last five weeks she had been with the girl, she had come to look at her as a sort of daughter, and she had come to see Sesshomaru as more than just a bloodthirsty killer. Inuyasha had all but completely gone from her mind in the extremes she had faced this last month.
“Kagome, will you tell me a story?” The young child asked as she huddled closer to the other girls warmth, trying to block out the scary sounds of the night forest. Kagome beamed warmly at Rin, leaning her forehead against the other's in a show of affection.
“Maybe tomorrow, its time to sleep now.” The young priestess stated fondly to the young girl, “we both need our rest, if we are to stay alive.” Rin nodded.
“When Rin grows up she wants to be just like Kagome-okaasan(sp?)” The young girl yawned as she drifted into slumber. Kagome staired around the small clearing for a few moments before leaning back against a branch of the tree and allowing herself to drift into a very light slumber, where her miko senses were constantly scanning the area…she was on the brink of beginning to dream, when she caught the familiar feeling of a youaki energy coming at them at a high speed, and another two farther off. Kagome jerked herself to full awareness and gently prodded Rin awake, placing her in a patch of high grasses and telling her not to move or make a sound, no matter what happened.
The young miko drew her bow allowing holy energy to course through it. She stood there for a good five breaths, tensed, ready for anything at any given moment, but not ready for what was about to happen. For a moment all was silent, then a red and white blur burst through the trees and a very flustered looking Inuyasha with a very cold looking Kikyou on his back landed in front of her. The school girl Kagome would have been hurt to see the two together, but the new Kagome of the wilderness cared naught. Keeping a firm glare upon her features and expecting the worst at any given moment. The Inu-hanyou let the undead miko down from his back, staring disbelievingly at Kagome. Who in turn glared coldly at the couple.
Kagome regarded the two of them emotionlessly, sizing up the situation and finding her odds very favorable. She turned her back to them, heading toward Rin's hiding place and nudging her out of her hiding area, the young girl timidly moved from the bushes and followed her mother-figure. The Inu-hanyou didn't like this one bit, she was just leaving? Again? Without making so much as a sound the hanyou sprinted toward Kagome and grabbed her pinning her roughly against a tree in such a position where she couldn't sit' him without crushing herself.
“Bitch! Listen to me! You are not leaving again!” Inuyasha shouted, digging his claws into her arms in emphasis. Kikyou made her way toward the two, placing a gentle hand on the hanyou's arm, Inuyasha tensed visibly glaring fiercely at the undead miko.
“What Inuyasha means is we need you to purify the shards. My part of the soul has become too tainted by death, and it too needs your purifying touch to rejuvenate me.” Kikyou held out her hand to the young miko and Kagome glanced down at it, before turning to glance at the now very frightened looking Rin, who had been completely forgotten by the pair before her. “Please Kagome, come with us.”
“No.” She replied in a hard voice, leaving the tree and turning her back on them, “I refuse to be used by you again, Inuyasha,” Kagome reached down for Rin's hand, glancing back at the pair of them. “I hope you two are happy together.” And her words were true, for she had found the one she would follow, whether or not he returned her feelings, whether or not he wanted her to follow him. Lord Sesshomaru, I owe my life to you' Kagome thought to herself a soft look in her chocolate brown eyes.
So wrapped up in her thoughts was she that she didn't realize Inuyasha's anger, and the feral growl that escaped his throat, neither did she sense his aura closing in on her at breakneck speed. Not until it was too late for her to do much more than barely comprehend what was about to happen. Just as his claws were centimeters from her throat however, she felt a strong wind and heard a crash. The next thing she knew Inuyasha was all the way across the clearing, tetsuiega(sp?) drawn, and none other than Lord Sesshomaru himself stood before her. She couldn't help the warmth that flowed from her at the very sight of him.
Inuyasha snarled as he powered up the Tetsuiega for the windscar, she knew that even Sesshomaru wouldn't escape that unscathed.
“Sit!” She shouted, throwing the hanyou to the ground in a faceplant, barely audible curses followed the incantation, but they were ignored. Sesshomaru turned from the scene, a very delighted Rin in tow, where Kagome stood where she was regarding Kikyou a moment longer. A silent understanding passed between them, they were no longer rivals for love, and they no longer had to be enemies. Kagome bowed her head slightly, and in turn Kikyou did the same, the two then turned away from each other, to follow the ones their hearts had chosen.
“That's very good Rin, but next time try to hold the bow the other way k?” Kagome stated as she demonstrated to the young girl for the fifth time how to properly hold a bow and nook an arrow. The child giggled cutely before turning the bow right side forward and striking the Intimidating pose of Kagome about to fire one of her sacred arrows. Now it was the teens turn to chuckle as she gently plucked the bow from Rins hands. “We'll continue this in the morning Rin, its bedtime now.”
“Ok Haha!” The child piped before obediently curling up into her twilight bed, “Haha what's wrong?” Rin queried upon seeing the shocked expression upon Kagome's features.
“N-nothing! You should be asleep, goodnight.” Kagome placed a light kiss upon Rins brow before taking her leave, her mind working a million miles a second.
“I can't possibly look old enough to be a mother…I mean I'm 16 for kami's sake!” Kagome sighed inwardly, before heading toward the luxurious garden kept by Sesshomarus vassals.' and to think…' she thought to herself upon the sight of Sesshomaru's silhouette standing alone against the dying sun' I could love a cold-blooded killer…' Kagome obediently took her place at Sesshomarus side and bowed her head respectfully, “Rin is safely tucked away in her room, Lord Sesshomaru.” The stoic Taiyuki (sp?) made no sign of having heard her, instead he stared straight ahead his golden eyes resting upon a crimson-soaked valley of emerald grasses. After a few moments the beautiful Inu-yuki turned toward her, a strange look in his eyes.
“ I do not regret sparing you're life.” the demon then turned and treaded back to his stronghold, seemingly unaware of the woeful chocolate eyes that gently slid over his back.' Tell him!' Her mind screamed,' tellhimtellhimtellhimtellhimtellhim!' Kagome massaged her temple gently in an attempt to fight off the oncoming migrane.' okok FINE! I'll tell him!' she hissed inside her head while taking a steadying breath.
“Lord Sesshomaru…” She called softly, half-hoping he couldn't hear her, and half-expecting him to act as if he hadn't. To her utter dismay and joyhe stopped and glanced back at her, his beautiful features only half exposed. “I have something you may need to know…” She hesitated before hardening her resolve and deciding to grab the bull by the horns (or in this case the canine by the teeth) “Sesshomaru-sama I-“ She hesitated again, before she gasped, “I sense two shards of the sacred jewel closing in on us fast!” No sooner had she said this, a whirlwind appeared on the horizon and closed the distance between itself and Kagome within the second. Before she knew it her lips had been captured by another's and she was being held against a firm chest, her eyes were wide with surprise before they narrowed in anger. The young teen then did what any other self-respecting woman would do, she broke from his grasp and delivered a sound (and sounding) “smack” across his face.
“Kouga! What in the world do you think your doing?” She all but shouted, voice cracking with embarassment that shown on her stained cheeks.
“I think I'm finally about to claim my woman. Don't you know who's lands you're on? This is a dangerous place”The usually arrogant wolf's face softened as he took her into his arms, once again“Now that Mutt-face aint around to keep you safe you'll need to stay with my pack.” Kagome's eyes softened as her mind blanched at his density.
'how could someone unable to sense the taiyoukai only a few meters away pray to protect me?' She sighed. "Kouga-"
“Release her.” Growled Sesshomaru as he drew Tokijin(sp?). “And you may be permitted to die quickly.” For the first time Kouga looked surprised, as he turned, a smart-assed remark on his lips when he was forced to deposit Kagome and leap away. Scenting danger when she saw that Kouga was going to stay and fight Kagome leapt to her feet and tried desperately to talk Sesshomaru into sparing Kouga's life before he did something that would undoubtedly get him killed. Her only problem was that she was at a loss as to what she should say or do to get them to back down…without forfieting both her and Kouga's life.
For a moment Kouga looked as if he would risk his life to rip the taiyuki limb from limb before he relaxed slightly as a look of recognition crossed his features. “Lord Sesshomaru.” He stated, nodding slightly. The stoic taiyuki merely glared in reply, "Kagome is in your charge now then?" There was no reply for some time.
“Leave my grounds.” Ordered the Inu-yuki as he turned his back to the wolf in what was obviously a dismissal, and surprisingly after a look that could possibly kill, the wolf complied, stopping just at the borderline of the castle grounds and casting Kagome a backward look of temporary farewell.
“Kagome, come.” She was snapped back to reality by his voice, and hastened to catch up to the taiyoukai, her attempted confession completely forgotten only by one of them.