InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Just to Be With You ❯ Plans and Preparations ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Just settling things: Neither I, nor my kitten sisters own any of the characters used in this work. We just needed something to pass the time.
Oneesan Neko (Mrou)
 
 
Just to Be With You
 
Chapter 3: Plans and Preparations
 
`Wow' Kagome thought, leaning back against the trunk of the tree in which she perched. `I didn't realize how quickly time could pass. Hard to believe my six months of training are over already. And what Kaede told me this morning. That most miko train for years to reach my level. Unreal.'
 
“Hey Kagome!” A familiar voice intruded on her thoughts.
 
“Huh? Oh, hey Sango! I can't believe I didn't notice you sooner”
 
“Sad sort of demon exterminator I'd be if I didn't know how to stay up wind” Sango grinned. “So want to go take a bath?”
 
“You know I do. Plus, there's some stuff I want to discuss with you.”
 
“Hey, cool. Jump down and lets go”
 
Kagome leapt from the tree to the ground. As she headed for the hot springs she thought of something.
 
“Hey Sango where are the guys?”
 
“What? Oh, the guys. Out hunting for your attainment ceremony.”
 
“Oh, yeah. It's kind of embarrassing the fuss everyone's making.”
 
“Here we are.” Sango set her bathing supplies on a convenient rock. “Priestesses of your level are very rare. One coming into full containment of her powers is a huge thing. That they all know and love you just makes it more exciting.”
 
“I guess,” Kagome said as she slipped into the water. “But it also feels too much like they love me as Kikyo's reincarnation.”
 
“Nonsense. If they didn't love you for who you are do you they think they would have let you stay after the change? They love you Kagome, and they trust you. You earn those things for who you are, not who you look like.”
 
Kagome smiled. “Thanks Sango. There is also something else I'd like my best friend's advice on.”
 
“What is it Kag? I'll help however I can.”
 
“Thanks. Now that my training's done, there are some tasks we need to complete. Or so Midoriko insists”
 
“Do you know what they are?”
 
“Vaguely. She says we should all hear about them at once. But how should I get everyone together? I don't want a panic.”
 
“Just ask to talk to us after dinner tomorrow. No one will mind”
 
“You sure?”
 
“Kagome, on this mission, you're the boss. No matter what anyone says. Now lets finish. It's almost time for the ceremony.”
 
“You're right. Thank you Sango.
 
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
Clad in a plain white kimono, Kagome followed Kaede to the river. She stepped into the icy water for the ritual purification. After she stepped from the water, she drew on the white gi (top) and red hakama (pants) of a priestess. She followed Kaede up the hill, to the forest shrine. There, as the village watched, she knelt to receive formal approval, and her weapons.
 
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
Sango watched with interest as Inu-Yasha and Kaede stepped from the forest to stand before Kagome.
 
Kaede started. “A priestesses' duties are to her people. With her power she shields them from harm.
 
Then Inu-Yasha continued. “A priestesses' duties are to her people. With her hands she fights for their freedom
 
Kaede again. “A priestesses' duties are to her people. With her knowledge she heals them of ills
 
“A priestesses' duties are to her people. In her wisdom she trains the children.” Inu-Yasha finished.
 
 
“Higurashi Kagome, child of the sunset, your training is complete. Take these, the tools of your art.” Kaede handed her a box containing assorted medicinal supplies
“Higurashi Kagome, your training is complete. Take these, to protect those you love.” Inu-Yasha handed her a bow, a quiver of arrows, and a sheathed sword.
 
Kagome stood, tucking the sword through the slits in her hakama, placing the quiver on her back and tucking the unstrung bow inside. Carefully she turned to face the crowd. They split, allowing her to pass, then turned and followed her back to the village.
 
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
Later that evening, five friends could be found sitting under the gods tree in Inu-Yasha's Forest. They were a strange gathering, if only for the fact that humans and demons seldom associate so closely. But any observer able to overhear their conversation would have been even more confused.
 
Kagome, Inu-Yasha, Sango and Miroku were discussing travel plans for their `tasks,' while Shippo asked questions and played with Kirara.
 
“Without the numerous supplies usually provided from her home time by Lady Kagome, we shall have to put great thought into what we bring.”
 
Keh. Most places we need nothing. Why bother bringing what we don't need.”
 
“Inu-Yasha, not all of us endure temperature extremes and foul weather as well as you do.”
 
“Besides, who's the first one to complain if there's no dinner after we camp”
 
“That's not the point. I just don't see why we have to carry all this junk. Even the humans don't really need it.”
 
“Half demon I may be Inu-Yasha, but I'm not terribly fond of being wet or cold either. And I definitely don't eat raw meat unless I have to.”
 
“But Kagome . . .”
 
“Inu-Yasha, all we want is for each person to carry some basic necessities. Please Inu-Yasha?” Kagome applied the full force of her “Puppy dog eyes.”
 
Keh!” He stared at Kagome for a moment or two. “Oh, fine. Like what?”
 
“A blanket, flint, knife, some food, spare clothes, stuff like that.”
 
“Why would I need that stuff? It's stupid.”
 
“Just in case. Please, just bring it Inu-Yasha.”
 
“Lady Kagome simply wishes to insure that all possibilities are covered.”
 
“With that stuff?”
 
“We humans would need it if the group got separated. And Kagome's bringing medical supplies.” Sango's glare challenged him to say something.
 
“Kagome?” Shippo's little voice entered the conversation. “Do me and Kirara have to carry that stuff to?”
 
“No Shippo honey. You and Kirara don't have to bring anything.”
 
“Oh! Okay!”
 
“Okay then, are we done?”
 
“I think so Sango.”
 
“Then I vote we get some sleep.”
 
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
Morning comes all to quickly sometimes, especially when one is halfway dreading the sun's appearance
 
The morning was spent bargaining and trading with the neighbors for supplies. Spell strips, herbal remedies and locks of silky white demon hair were popular methods of payment. Money was being reserved for the road.
 
They met at lunch to tally their spoils. Four woven blankets, two knives, five sets of flint “fire stones” and a length of oiled silk. In addition, Kagome had gotten a set of glass vials, and Sango had the ingredients for rice flour cakes.
 
“Not bad. Who found the silk?” Kagome gazed appreciatively at their spoils.
 
“Miroku. Surprisingly, he struck a fair bargain for it.” Sango turned her head to the man in question. “Losing your touch, priest boy?”
 
“I merely did not want to deprive any of those who have so willingly sheltered us.”
 
“Translation: he doesn't want them to know that he's a leech as well as a letch.”
 
“Inu-Yasha do you truly think me incapable of an act of true generosity? I am amazed at your lack of faith in a humble man of the cloth.”
 
Keh. Miroku, you wouldn't know true generosity if it hit you in the face.”
 
“Why . . .”
 
“Alright boys. Lunch is ready. Then we'll discuss what's to be done before dinner.” Kagome turned her head. “Kaede, if we need it, could you possibly help with preparing some travel rations?”
 
“Thee need only to ask if my assistance is required.”
 
“Great. Lets eat”
 
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
“All we need now is food, so I figure we can split into teams. Shippo can go with Miroku, and I'll go with Inu-Yasha.”
 
“Lady Kagome, why may I not be accompanied by the beauteous Lady Sango?”
 
“Because you don't have a chaperone Miroku. Besides, Sango is cooking.”
 
“Cooking?”
 
“We discussed it, and Sango knows the most about preparing travel rations. I thought you and Shippo could collect some edible fruits, tubers and mushrooms. You do know what is edible, don't you?”
 
“Yes Lady Kagome. Let's go Shippo.”
 
“Sango, why kind of meat do you want for smoking and drying?”
 
“Rabbit or venison would be best I think. Three large rabbits or a small deer.”
 
“Okay no problem.” Kagome turned her head. “Ready to go Inu-Yasha?”
 
“Yeah. Lets hunt.”
 
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
Three hours later, the group sat behind Kaede's hut preparing their rations under Sango and Kaede's watchful eyes.
 
“Miroku, are you done slicing those tubers?”
 
“Yes, Sango!”
 
“Then put them over that fire over there. The one where the fruit is drying.”
 
“Certainly Sango”
 
“Kaede! How are they doing with the venison?”
 
“Fair well Sango.” Kaede's head turned “They're . . . Inu-Yasha! Be careful. Thee could be burned . . . almost done.”
 
“I could use Kagome's help if you can spare her.”
 
“Of course child. Kagome, go help Sango, we're almost done here.”
 
“Alright Kaede. Thank you for your help.”
 
“Not a problem. I told thee that thee had only to ask.”
 
“Kagome, if you could keep an eye on the oven, I need to help Miroku with the drying and roasting.”
 
“No problem Sango. Are there any batches after this one?”
 
“Well, if you don't mind chopping the tubers to be baked?”
 
“Okay. How long do they go in?”
 
“Until they're crispy. Slice thin.”
 
“Uh huh. I think Miroku needs you.”
 
“What! Miroku! No, you need to . . .”
 
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
“Well, not to bad. Someone will need to watch the meat tonight while it finishes.”
 
“Yawn. `kay, Sango. And after supper Midoriko's gonna fill us in on the details of our `tasks'.”
 
“Lady Kagome, does it bother you being in contact with the Lady's soul?”
 
“No. I don't even notice her unless she speaks to me.”
 
“Lets just eat so we can find out what that bitch wants from us.”
 
“Inu-Yasha!”
 
“Ignore him Kagome. He's just annoyed that she dragged us into this.”
 
“Damn right I'm annoyed.” Inu-Yasha muttered.
 
“Thee will need thy strength. I suggest thee eat.”