InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagomirò ❯ Prologue: The Children of the profecy ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kagomirò
Written by Giulia "Kagome-sama", corrected by Arvel
Legal note:
I'm not Rumiko Takahashi. I don't own Inuyasha, so don't sue me :)
Inuyasha manga © 1996 Takahashi Rumiko, Shogakukan.
Inuyasha anime © 2000 Takahashi Rumiko, Sunrise, YTV
Fantaghirò © Lamberto Bava, Rete Italia 1991-1993, S.Berlusconi Production.

Introduction:
This is an AU FanFiction (alternate universe). The story is inspired to the TV serial "Fantaghirò", that was aired in Italy some years ago. This show was inspired by a traditional Italian fairy tale "Fantaghirò, beautiful person" (that is even a book written by one of the most famous Italian writers, Italo Calvino). So I have to thank my culture for bearing such a beautiful story. Yes, I'm using the characters from a Japanese Feudal fairy tale (Inuyasha) to write back an Italian Medieval fairy tale ;). Let's see if you'll like it!
Obviously this story IS different from Fantaghirò, I'll TRY to keep the characters enough IC. But you know, since it's an AU fic, if ever you'll find that the characters are a little OOC… well, you should live with it and don't sue me :P

Grammar Warning:
Yes, I'm doing a grammar warning. I'm NOT from the States, but from ITALY, I was born and live in Rome. I studied English by myself, and I speak Italian as mother language. I KNOW my English is not perfect. I'm sorry about this, but I can't help.
So, if you find a fault, PLEASE tell me. I DON'T WANT generic reviews telling me to correct everything, but specific ones that can help me to fix the faults.




Chapter 1: The children of the Prophecy



The wind was twirling outside the big castle of the Great King Inu-Taisho.

The atmosphere was electric, thunder and lightning helped to make it more ghostly.

Frequently, the flashes of lightning shone in the room, lighting up the furniture and the pictures on the walls. The eyes of the youkai on the portraits appeared spectral.

During that horrible night, his son was being born. The son of his beloved Megumi… the woman that had stolen his heart.

Inu-Taisho was thinking very hard about this. He was sitting down on a big sofa in a corner of the room. His beautiful white hair shone with the flash of the lightning and his golden eyes were lost in memories. A thin line knitted his brows while he thought. A small fire lit the place, and the large table filled with food reminded him that Megumi had started going into labour right in the middle of the dinner.

"Sesshoumaru… that silly boy didn't understand why I was so worried about it… he told me to go to hell, and he went back to his room without caring any more about my wife. That child is just like his mother… she would never learn to understand me… or humans."

Inu-Taisho remembered the scene he'd had to watch that evening: Megumi had started to cry, while the pain spread all over her face. Sesshoumaru stood up and began to mock Megumi, while all the court was trying to take care of her. That child seemed to like the painful grimace on the woman's face, as though he would love to see more.

The king stood up, and walked silently across the big room, approached the window and looked outside.

The spectral atmosphere surrounded all the country with its sad and misfortunate canopy. Even the places that were so lovely to visit during normal days now appeared scary.

Inu-Taisho looked at the trees, they were quite bent from the strength of the wind. The wind sounded frightening, it seemed to announce a sad event.

The gusts of wind alternated with the pain-filled screams of the woman in labour. It seemed like the childbirth would go on for the whole night.

Inu-Taisho thought with anxiety of his slim and weak wife: he doubted that she would survive to this.

Too many times she found she had been pregnant in those years they were married. Every time the child never arrived to see the birth: normally she could take it simply for few months. Sesshoumaru told his father that probably it was a divine punishment… since he left his mother to marry 'that wench'.

Inu-Taisho snorted at this memory. He thought that when this long night was over, he would try to teach a little politeness to that boy.

"I heard that miko and her stupid prophecy… probably now I'm simply charmed by her words, and all I see is darkness."

Inu-Taisho shook his head, and he walked away from the window while the wind moved his wonderful and long white hair in a rhythmic way . The rain started to fall from the sky, and the gelid wind was penetrating into his bones and muscles… and into his mind. He couldn't stand any more of the anxiety that he was feeling.

This day should be one of the most beautiful of his whole life. Megumi was bearing his son… he'd be a hanyou, but he would love him in just the same way that he loved his first son, Sesshoumaru. If only that child wasn't so very stubborn… he could learn to live happily with him and his new wife. But Sesshoumaru had hated him since he married a "weak" human…

"He told me he's ashamed of me… he was so proud of his great father, but now he doesn't have the courage to admit he's my son when he speaks with other children… what a strange boy. I have to impose more upon him if I want to bring out from him something better;"

The king thought more about his stubborn child. He was growing up in the perfect way a father would desire a son to. His appearance was becoming more and more similar to his. But he had to do something for the boy's temper, or he would never be worthy to become the King after him

"Really I'd like to give my heritage to Megumi's son. But I can't do it, since Sesshoumaru is the elder, and nothing tells me he won't become a good person in the future. And who tells me that Megumi's son will be different? It's only my fatherly love that makes me think that. I have to try…"

Inu-Taisho's thoughts were stopped by something. He noticed a sudden flash lighting up a place not too far from his castle. He had to check to see what had happened, it was his duty, since he was the king.

The youkai walked out from his throne's room, while the screams Megumi cried out in her labour were becoming louder and faster

"It's time, maybe… but I have to check that light"

Inu-Taisho decided to try to be as fast as possible. He wanted to be close to her in the moment of birth and to give her all his strength and power.

oOo

The beautiful miko let fly the enchanted arrow, which hit the tree she'd been aiming for and waited. The light the impact produced would surely attract he whom she wanted it to.

Her long and dark hair was fluttering over her face and her dress followed in a rhythmic way her hair's movements. The rain was starting to soak through her clothes, but it was more important for her to accomplish her duty.

Suddenly, she heard a noise in the distance: somebody was getting closer… his speed didn't leave doubts about who was approaching. A kind smile spread across the beautiful face of the miko. Her grey eyes were searching, trying to not be unprepared when her guest would finally find her.

"Welcome Inu-Taisho, I was waiting for you." The miko smiled looking at the great Lord of Western Lands "As I can see the stories I heard about you were true. You're very fast… and handsome."

"What do you want from me, female?" Inu-Taisho was looking at the miko with his magnetic golden eyes. All he saw was a pretty but insignificant woman… what did she want from him? Why did she try to attract his attention? And above all… why did she do it just that night?

"I know that tonight is a very important moment for you, Your Majesty. But I needed to talk you about a vision I had, and I think it's important for your safety, and for the sake of your family."

Midoriko noticed the unbelieving golden eyes that were looking at her. She knew what the king was thinking: she was just a miko like the others, a stupid female that didn't know what she said, and that pretended to have powers to earn what was necessary to eat the day after.

"Why should I trust in what you'll say? Yesterday another 'miko' went to the castle. She told us her 'prophecy'… she told me that my wife will die in the labour, and that my new son will bring bad luck to our family. I have no time to lose with a stupid female like you. If you went here to tell me the same thing, please go away, I've had enough of false and cheating people. I want to stay close to my wife now." Inu-Taisho, thinking that the meeting was over, started to leave.

"Why should you have to trust me?" Midoriko smiled while the King stopped and turned around looking at her again, "Whoever told you that prophecy? She was a miko? Who was she?"

"Her name was Tsubaki. One of the Princes from another family brought her here, telling us that she had his complete trust. But I don't believe her. I'll do whatever is in my possibilities to be sure that what she said was a lie… and then I'll kill her with my own hands and claws."

Midoriko shook with fear at the evil look Inu-Taisho sent her while saying those things. She noticed that his right clawed hand glowed with a green light. If she hadn't looked into the king's heart before coming here to meet him she'd most likely be thinking about leaving him to his destiny.

"But I know he's not an evil king… he truly loves his wife, his children and his kingdom. That's why I will help him. But first I have to win his trust, or he won't ever hear me. And this can be dangerous for his family…"

Midoriko's eyes became curt. The storm was making everything around them thrash. Their clothes were completely wet, and her hair beat like lashes on her face. Inu-Taisho was looking at her, but he was going to leave. If she didn't do something now, he would never pay attention to her again.

"Tsubaki… Tsubaki is a dark miko. She's dangerous, both in her predictions and in her acts. Be careful, Inu-Taisho. She's not a normal woman." The king turned in her direction. He was starting to pay attention to her.

"And why should I think you're different from her?" the youkai approached the woman, and his gaze met hers. Midoriko looked at those eyes, and she saw only worry and pain. Probably, even if he didn't want to admit it, Inu-Taisho believed in Tsubaki's words… she had to do something to correct this. And she KNEW she had only one way to obtain his trust.

"Just because I do am;" the woman searched with a hand under her white and red kimono. She took out a Jewel that she wore on a necklace. She removed it from her neck, and she concentrated on the small gem.

With her mind she noticed that Inu-Taisho widened his eyes in surprise when the pearl began to shine, wavering in balance between her hands.

A soft, pale rose light shone from the little ball, lighting on all the bare patch where their meeting was occurring.

"Do you know what this Jewel is?" the woman raised her eyes to meet Inu-Taisho's astonished gaze.

"I believe… it's the Shikon no Tama, maybe? I heard about that gem, I was told it's an amulet that gives great power."

"Exactly. This is the Shikon no Tama. I'm the woman that preserves it from Evil. My name's Midoriko." The woman grabbed the Jewel with her right hand, and she looked at Inu-Taisho's face. He had still some doubts about her. She could understand him… nobody could ever confirm that she was telling the truth.

"Well… even if that's the Shikon no Tama… why should this interest me? Why should I give you my trust?"

"Normally, I keep this Jewel in the middle of the Forest. To maintain its purity, I live inside of it. The other night, while I was sleeping in it, I had a dream, a vivid vision that regarded you… and the son your wife is giving birth to in this misfortunate night." Midoriko noticed that Inu-Taisho's eyes were still distrusting of her. She shook her head while continuing, "But I see that whatever I may tell you, you still won't trust me. I really want to help you, Sir."

"I know that this Jewel was made unifying the spirits of the 4 elements that build the World, Water, Earth, Air and Fire. Why should those elements care about my son's destiny? And who's to tell me that you can truly master the power of the Gem?"

"So you don't trust my powers… well, I'll do something that will make you believe." The woman took a moment to focus her concentration on the jewel. The little ball began to shine again, at first tenderly, then increasingly deep. Suddenly a bright light flashed from it. Inu-Taisho was constrained to close his eyes, since the light was dazzling.

He opened his eyes again, and after blinking to clear the spots from his vision, the king looked around him, totally astonished.

The sky, that had been cloudy and full of lighnting just few seconds before, now was still. No cloud spotted that marvellous expanse of stars. It was a new moon night, the king noticed this particularly only in such a moment.

Even the wind blew tenderly now, and the night crickets filled the air with their rhythmic cri-cri. The stormy and scary atmosphere had turned suddenly into the most beautiful night he had seen in ages.

"That's amazing…" Inu-Taisho was truly astonished "even a Thunder taiyoukai couldn't do such a thing… in a few moments the storm had disappeared. Everything is calm and beautiful now."

The youkai met the worried gaze of the miko, and he relaxed. He approached the woman, and he bowed his head in respect.

"Miko-sama… please tell me. What is the reason you bothered yourself to come here?" Midoriko looked at the king's eyes. She saw worries… but trust. Finally she managed to obtain his reliance. She breathed, happy she was able to overcome the worst obstruction.

"As I already told you, the Gem gave me a vision about you, and your son. I'm here to talk with you about it, in order to help your family and the people you love.

That miko, Tsubaki, told you that your wife would die giving birth to your son. This is not true: your wife will survive, and your son won't bring misfortune. But it's true that your wife is risking a lot: an evil entity is plotting against you. This evil being knows that your son is important for the destiny of the whole world, and he plans to kill him.

I saw that one day, trying to protect her son, your wife would be killed by this entity, right in front of him. I saw also that your son will be very brave, and his destiny is linked with the destiny of the whole Country.

There will be a war in the future, between the Human Kingdom and the Youkai Kingdom. This war could bring both countries into darkness ruin: this is what the evil thing wants. He grows up in the darkness, and his food is the destruction and the sadness.

But your son will be the key. I don't know what will happen. I don't know who will win, or if your child will be safe. But I know that his destiny is important, so take good care of him. Teach him everything he will need, and try to keep his heart pure"

"I thank you for this, Miko-sama. I'll take care that my son will grow up worthy of the Destiny the Gem set for him." Inu-Taisho's heart was like stone. His beloved wife would be killed while trying to save his child? But why? So the things that Tsubaki said weren't really a lie. Even though Midoriko told him that it wasn't true, Inu-Taisho was afraid his son would bring bad luck to him.

"No, Your Majesty. I can assure you that he won't bring misfortune to you or your kingdom." She noticed that the youkai's glance met hers suddenly, as though the king was surprised she had read his mind. "Yes… Your Majesty, I can read the hearts of people, thanks to the Tama. You can't keep secrets with me." She saw Inu-Taisho's face become relaxed. She smiled at him.

"I see… well, anyway I thank you, Miko-sama. Now, please, I'd like to go back to my wife. I guess the moment is important." The woman nodded imperceptibly, and the youkai left. Midoriko smiled, surprised by his speed: in a few seconds she couldn't feel his presence anymore.

Inu-Taisho was feeling tons of different emotions. His son would be important for the destiny of the whole country? Good… this was making him proud of that small being, even before he was born.

But what was the price, the penalty he had to pay to gain this? Why did the sake of the whole World have to be linked with the death of his beloved wife?

"Yes… but my kingdom is more important than the life of a single woman… even if she's the person I love more than anybody else, I have to put the sake of my country before her life" Inu-Taisho walked through the corridors of the Palace, and he finally arrived in the labour's room.

The sudden excitement he found there, let him understand that the moment had arrived: his son was being born.

"What if I kill him? I could tell Megumi that he died a few minutes after birth. She'd be sad… but at least she'd be safe. And after all… if I manage to obtain Sesshomaru's trust, he might become the son Megumi could take care of, and she wouldn't feel alone any more."

The king heard the acute first yell of Megumi's son. He heard the midwife's excited laugh, saying that it was a male, that the child was perfect, and cute with those small dog-ears up on his head.

He heard Megumi's voice, relieved to hear the yell of her child, happy that he was alive.

No… in that precise moment, he knew that he couldn't kill him. Megumi would never understand… she was dead tired, but she wanted to hug her son for the first time, and give him a good look. She smiled… it was long time since Inu-Taisho had seen such a sincere and lighted smile spreading all over her face.

The king approached his wife, and his new son. He smiled at Megumi, who replied with the brightest expression he had ever seen on her. She was beaming with joy: her beautiful long dark hair was all wet, her forehead was still beaded with sweat, and her silk night kimono was still soaked with her blood. But she was so beautiful in her joy, even more beautiful than the day they had married. She looked at the little being in her arms as though he was the most precious thing in the entire world.

Inu-Taisho looked at the small buddle that moved in her arms: he was perfect. Small tender hands, that already had little claws instead of a normal child's nails; grey, liquid eyes, that surely would turn to gold when he grew up. Thin, silver hair covered his head, while pointed and cute dog-ears came out on its left and right side. The child yelled with all his strength… as though he wanted to declare to the whole world that he was now alive. Inu-Taisho found himself laughing at him. Yes, he could already see his son's strength…

"Look at this funny chap… he's yelling as though he wants to declare a war on the entire World!" he said to himself, smiling.

"He's the son of a Warrior!" Megumi said, while replying to his smile with one of her own.

"No, I can't kill him… now that I've seen him I can't stop myself from loving him…" he thought, sadly "but he will be the cause of Megumi's death… probably what Sesshoumaru told me was true. This is divine punishment for my behaviour." thinking of this, Inu-Taisho smiled sadly.

"My Lord? What will be his name?" Megumi was looking at him, joy and expectation in her face. Inu-Taisho began to think seriously about it. He hadn't really planned on a name, since he'd doubted that the child would survive. But it seemed like the little brat fought hard to come to life… and now he would never let death win against him.

"Yeah… which name should I choose for him?" he thought

"Your Majesty?" a voice re-echoed on his head. Inu-Taisho started at this, but he recognized the miko he met just few moments before, and he smiled, sadly.

"So you can talk to my mind, Midoriko-sama?" he thought, while his hands scratched the cute little ears of his child.

"Yes, My Lord. I'm sorry to invade your privacy in such a way, but I forgot to tell you the most important thing I had to." Inu-Taisho wondered about the meaning of what she had just said.. He was surprised when she replied to his thoughts. "I have to tell you the child's name. I'm happy you decided not to kill him. You truly gave me the evidence that I was right when I read your heart." The king kept scratching his son's ears while thinking and the child stopped crying and he started to purr with joy.

"The name?" Inu-Taisho looked at his wife. He picked up the small bundle from Megumi's lap, and he lifted it to the sky "This child's name will be Inuyasha."

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

1 Year after, Humans Kingdom's castle

The pregnant woman was walking in the garden. The blue sky didn't have a single cloud to spot it, and the sun, shining, surrounded the entire park with its calm and delightful warmth.

Spring was close, and a light breeze passed through the crystal air, ruffling the branches of the trees, and the Queen's hair

"This atmosphere is so unreal… so beautiful and peaceful… but I can't be calm;" The woman passed her fingers upon the roses kept in the flowerbed. She took a bud in her hands and smelled its gentle scent. But suddenly a grimace of pain appeared on her beautiful face. Her violet eyes flashed and the rose fell from her hand.

The queen looked at her finger, which had been hurt by a thorn "A rose… such a beautiful and delicate flower… but it hides the way to harm you… in the same way this day…" The woman was trying to stop the blood dripping from her wound, while with the other hand, she picked up the rose she'd dropped.

"I don't know why, but I feel anxious… maybe something will happen to the child I'm carrying in my womb?" the woman's face became worried. She held the bottom part of her kimono in her hands as she walked to a little bench in front of the small lake that was kept inside her preferred garden. She looked at the swans that swam upon the water and she tried to calm down. She knew that this anxiousness was bad for her child. And she didn't want her son to be unfortunate, she wanted him to be strong and brave, to give her husband the heir he desired this time.

"Mother?" a child's voice took the woman away from her thoughts. She turned in the voice's direction and noticed that her elder daughter, Sango, had approached her. Sango was such a pretty girl… she was her joy and her pride. She was growing up just in the way she would desire, and one day she'll be a real beauty, and princes all over the world would ask for her hand in marriage.

The woman smiled to the little girl, looking at her with proud eyes. She beckoned for her to sit down on her bench. Sango was happy to comply with her will and she grabbed her mother's arm, leaning her head over the Queen's lap

"Mother, what will happen when my brother is born?" Sango was looking at her mother's face. Worry could be seen in her lovely maroon eyes.

The queen smiled, and she caressed her child's dark hair, soft like silk. Her violet eyes met the maroon ones of the child

"What do you mean, my dear?" the little girl got up from her position and she sat on the bench, her maroon eyes were serious "this child appears more adult than she is. Why does she have so many worries?" the mother's heart of the queen was bleeding.

"You know what I mean, Mother. Father has thought only of this since the moment you told him you were pregnant." Sango's eyes filled with tears "Will he dedicate all his time to his new son? Will he forget about me?" tears were falling from the child's eyes, sliding down her cheeks. The little girl didn't try to stop them or to clean them.

"What are you thinking about?" the queen looked at her daughter. She knew that her husband really wanted this son. He was sure that it would be a male, his magicians, that were never wrong in his opinion, told him that this time the Spirits were favourable. But she was sure that he would never mistreat his first daughter, even after having received a male. "Your father loves you truly, he would never treat your brother better than you."

"I don't believe you, Mother! He's always speaking about it, he's counting days, he's singing every morning while putting an ear to your lap… why is he doing this, Mother? I wish that this child will be a female!" the child had tears in her eyes. Her face was turning red and her fists were clenched.

"Sango-chan… don't even think such a thing… if this child is a female your father will be very sad… and I too" her mother was looking at her daughter with a severe look.

"Maybe she's telling the truth, My Queen" a voice caused both queen and princess to turn. A lady was listening to them: even if she had white and long hair, her appearance was that of a young woman. Her dark eyes had an evil look. She wore a blue yukata decorated with white and red flowers, fixed up with a red obi.

"Who are you?" the Queen put an instinctive hand on her lap. She didn't know why, but she was certain that the woman in front of her would bring bad luck to her family.

"Don't be scared, My Queen. I'm a friend, a miko. My name's Tsubaki. I'm here because I have a Prediction about your soon to be born child, and I have to talk with the King." The miko looked evilly at the queen. The last sun rays of the day were lighting the garden with their red shade and the light wind was moving in a rhythmic way the white hair of the miko, that now appeared rose.

"A miko? And why don't you wear the traditional miko's dress?" the queen replied, doubtful. Tsubaki widened her eyes, then she smiled again. "And above all, how dare you annoy me with your stupid talk?"

"My Queen…" Tsubaki approached, looking at the woman's eyes directly, as though she held the same rank as her. The queen returned her glance, with pride.

Suddenly a light flashed in Tsubaki's right eye. Sango noticed it, she wasn't looking directly into it, so she wasn't affected by it. But when she looked again at her mother, she understood that something was wrong.

Her mother's eyes, that were always so kind and caring, now appeared to be wide, and expressionless. The child stood up and rose to her full 3 years of height, bringing up her chin with all the dignity she could muster.

"Hey you! What did you do to my Mother?" she asked, looking at Tsubaki with mistrust. She was trying not to look at the woman. She'd seen the flash in Tsubaki's eye, and even if she was just a child, she understood that somehow it was linked with her mother's sudden strange face.

"Sango, my dear:" the queen was speaking with an emotionless voice "please don't bother Tsubaki-sama." The woman stood up and approached her daughter. She put her hands on the child's shoulder, trying to comfort her "Please, Tsubaki-sama, forgive my child. She's young, and she doesn't know the proper respect that someone should show a miko."

"Mother? What are you saying? You're the Queen, you don't have to show respect to anybody! Mother? Please, come back into yourself!" the child was hitting her mother's lap. She tried to shake her, with all her (small) strength, but this didn't seemed to help.

The queen brought Tsubaki to the King's apartments. Sango tried to warn people about the spell her mother was under, but nobody wanted to trust her. Tsubaki looked at her with an evil glance

"Stupid child;" she said with a low voice, so that only Sango could hear her "you won't annoy me, I have a mission to perform." She approached the child and put a hand on her head. Suddenly Sango fainted on the floor. A servant went to take care of her. "Oh… I checked her forehead, I guess the child became ill. Please, take care of her." She said as the servant took the child away.

In the meantime, the Queen was speaking with her husband, asking him to meet Tsubaki. The king wasn't so sure if he desired this meeting: he trusted only his own magicians, and he didn't want to hear other words. But since his wife asked, he decided to change his mind, and he received Tsubaki's visit.

"So… since my wife trusts so much in your powers, I have decided to hear your words. Tell me: what is your prediction?" the king watched the woman with an indecisive look.

Tsubaki took a good look at him. He was a man like hundreds could be found all over the world. His pride was large, but his mind was as small as a worm's. He wanted a male son to be an heir and he didn't care very much about his female child, or about his wife and his country. He was a pigeon-hearted man, always ready to think about his own sake before his country's.

"Your Majesty… you're so different from Inu-taisho. That king decided I was lying, and he threw me out from his court. He preferred to believe in that stupid Midoriko…" the woman's glance became scornful at the memory "That bitch… she's not worthy of the great duty she was entrusted with. I was the only person that had the right to protect the Shikon no Tama… and I will destroy this World, and help my Lord to achieve his goal. He promised me he would give me the Shikon Gem when everything is over… I'll be the most powerful woman in the World… and I won't need to hide myself any more and try to resist to death." Tsubaki remembered very clearly when Midoriko destroyed her life, rejecting a snake youkai she had sent against her and sending it back into her eye… She would never know that that act made her rival the most powerful dark miko in the World. She made a deal with the snake youkai… she gave him her Soul, and in exchange she got the Eternal Youth and Life.

And in the end, she was sure she would become the protector of the Shikon no Tama. Now, she had to be careful to get the king's trust. She was already annoyed that Midoriko had won Inu-Taisho's trust. She wouldn't win again.

"Sir… the other day I received a Prophecy from the Other World". A sudden light appeared all over her figure, and the king widened his eyes, while sweat started falling from his forehead. "A powerful Entity asked me to tell you these words. The child your wife is carrying will bring misfortune to the World. He'll cause a big War and this Country will be destroyed by it. Youkai will win your throne, and an era of destruction and pain will start."

"No! Why are you telling this? I don't believe you! I won't ever believe you! Wife! Why did you bring this woman here? She's a liar!" the man yelled, panicking. Tsubaki smiled evilly, she removed her obi from her yukata and let it fall down. The obi turned into a snake. The man's eyes widened even more, he became completely red while crying, "What is this spell? Why are you doing this? Guards! Catch her, put her in prison!"

"It's useless to catch me!" the snake attacked the guards, and in few moments no living being was left in the room other than Tsubaki, the King and the Queen "Remember, my King. Your son will be the destruction of the World. She'll be a girl, and she'll die young, killed by the man she'll fall in love with." An evil laugh came out of Tsubaki's throat. The dark miko began to fade, and in few moments she disappeared.

The king fell to his knees, his eyes still widened, his pupils only small points. He put his hands on his head and he cried out all his pain.

In the same moment the Queen's water broke and the King had to forget his worries.

"The child… a female that woman said. Is it possible that my stupid wife can't give me the heir I'm worthy of?" the man looked with disdain at the woman that yelled in pain "Should I trust that miko? She seemed to be very powerful…" the king decided that his wife's yells annoyed him. He walked out of the room, passing through the entire castle until he found himself outside the palace.

He still heard the queen's cries, and he shook his head. He didn't want to hear her any more, he wanted to think.

The man walked in the forest's direction as though he was attracted by something. He didn't understand where he was going, he was miles away in his mind.

"If that miko told the truth, the child my wife is giving birth to now will be misfortunate. Well… I don't care. As though this won't affect me, I don't care.

After all, that miko told me she'll die young and she told about bad luck with my kingdom." The man stared at nothing in front of him "If ever her Prophecy comes true, I'll be sure to be very distant from here when the Youkai king arrives. That wench will bring bad luck to her mother maybe… but not to me. And after all, my wife can still give me a male heir… and if she won't do it…"

"My Lord… those thoughts aren't worthy of a king" the man was startled at hearing a voice behind his back. He turned around: a woman was looking at him. Her wonderful black hair was moving rhythmically on the wind, and her grey eyes looked at him with a scornful glance. Her dress was the traditional Miko's one and she carried in her hands an arrow and a bow.

"Another miko? What do you want from me, wench? How dare you speak with me in such a way. How dare you approach me, anyway. Do you know who am I?" the king was looking at the woman with disdain, but he shook inside of himself when the woman's eyes met his. Her severe and scornful look shocked him. How dare that female look at him as though he was a worm?

"Oh yes… sure I know who you are. You're a poor person. A pigeon-hearted man that puts his own sake before the destiny of his Country and family." The scorn in the woman's eyes became deeper. The man felt anger well up in him.

"How dare you speak to me in such a way? How can you know what am I thinking? Are you a witch? I have enough of bitches like you… I already met one that told me my son will bring bad luck to my family and country. She told me that my future son is an unworthy girl… so why should I be endangered by such a worthless thing? I'll leave her to her destiny and think of myself and my Country."

"Those are thoughts worthy of a bastard… they're not a King's words. And above all they're not a father's words. Anyway, what Tsubaki said could not be true." The woman thought to see a sign of relief upon the king's face. But she knew he wasn't relieved for the destiny of his country… she could read his mind after all.

"No, Your Majesty. This doesn't mean that your child will be a male.

If I have to tell you the truth, you have to know that your wife won't ever give you a son. You'll disown her, but even your new lover won't give you what you desire. You'll have another child in the future, but she'll be, once again, a female."

Midoriko noticed with pleasure the pain that flashed in the King's eyes. He was so different from Inu-Taisho. And she was very happy about what she had to tell him. He was unworthy to be the king of a country.

"Why are you saying this? You're just a bitch like the other one. Although, what Tsubaki said wasn't nonsense like this. You're a fool" the king was becoming crazy with her words. And what hurt him so much was the feeling that what she said was true… he was truly a pigeon-hearted man: how could he even think of giving up and leaving his Country in danger, thinking only of his own sake? Were these the thoughts of a King? And… was he really worthy to be a king?

"Good. I see that finally your thoughts are becoming worthy of a person of your Rank" the woman smiled at the widened eyes of the man in front of her "Yes, it's useless for you to ask me. I can read your mind, just like the mind of anybody else. So you can't lie to me."

"Who are you? Why are you saying this? What do you want from me? Why are you doing this? If I'm simply an unworthy being, as you told me just a moment ago… why did you bother to come here and speak with me?"

"Because even if you're an unworthy person, you're still a king. And a father. And your daughter's destiny will be linked with that of the whole World.

One year ago, I had a Vision. I'm the person that keeps the Shikon no Tama. You know what it is?" the woman smiled while reading his mind "Yes… it's the Gem with great power, the one that gathers the destiny of everything. I was sleeping inside the Tama, and I had a dream. I saw your child. She won't bring misfortune, but she'll be the key of the destiny of this Country.

You have to love her, to teach her everything she'll need to know. She must be worthy of the Destiny the Tama has predicted for her"

"But that miko… Tsubaki. She told me that my new daughter will die… killed by the man she'll love. And that she'll cause a war. How can she be the key to the destiny of this Land?"

"You should not trust Tsubaki. Her predictions have a base of truth, but she's a dark miko. She sees only a part of the future, the dark one. And her predictions can be changed by your behaviour.

Maybe what she predicted will happen… but maybe it won't. It depends on YOU and on your daughter"

"How can I be sure that you're not a dark miko just like her? Why should I trust you and not her? What makes you so special? Who can demonstrate to me that you're the Shikon no Tama's Guardian?"

"You're not worthy of watching the gem. But I can give you evidence of my Power. I'll show you the great Energy of the Shikon no Tama." The woman gathered concentration. Suddenly the peace of the late evening was broken by thunder. Big clouds appeared in the dark blue sky and they covered in a few seconds the dark expanse of stars. The light wind suddenly began to blow furiously. The man watched the miko in front of him with scared eyes. A blue light was shining out of her body, giving her pale skin a creepy appearance.

Rain started to fall from the sky, while the fierce wind penetrated into the king's bones.

"You're a witch. You're surely a witch, an Oni! I'll never trust you!" the king tried to escape. The woman blocked him with her mind's strength.

"Wait! Worthless being… you're the last person on Earth that I should bother to help. But I know your daughter won't be like you so I'll try to finish what I started." The miko was watching the scared king in front of her with the most severe and curt look he had ever seen in a woman. The man was sweating hard.

"What do you want from me? I'll do what you want, but you have to leave me alone! I don't want to see you again!"

"Ok, I will, My Lord. I won't ever come back here… but first I have to tell you what will be the girl's name, at least…"

oOo

The Queen was screaming when the King came back into the labour room. The moment was close… after few seconds a child's yell re-echoed in the castle.

"It's a girl! My Lady, I'm sorry! She's a girl!" the midwife said, while checking the health of the screaming creature. "She's perfect though." The woman had shown the bundle to the King, who took a fast look at that creature in front of him and then looked away. So the woman gave the child to her mother: tears fell from the Queen's eyes when she hugged her. She was happy… but sad at the same moment. The child was a girl… once again she couldn't give her husband what he wanted.

The king thought deeply. The child was a girl… both Tsubaki and the other miko had told him this. But the other miko really scared him. He didn't want to make her angry… she threatened his own safety. He would do what the woman asked him: he thought maybe that way he'd be safe.

"My Lord… I'm sorry, she's a girl." the Queen looked at him with a worried and sad look, even if she sent joyful glances to her pretty child. Then she noticed that the little Sango had arrived. "My dear… come closer. Come have a look at your sister."

The child approached her mother. She looked at her face, scared for a second to see once again her eyes widened and empty. But luckily she was her beloved mother again, the girl was relieved looking at her beautiful and caring eyes. They were joyful… but sad. The child looked at the bundle on her mother's lap. Her sister was screaming, as though she wanted to tell her opinion about what had happened.

Outside, the storm Midoriko caused was spreading across the sky becoming electric. Thunder and lighting were a scary background to the childish yells that re-echoed on the room.

"Father? What name will you give her?" the girl asked.

The king approached. He didn't want to look at the child that would cause his misfortune… or his destiny in any case, but he had to check her before giving her a name.

She was perfect: while moving her small and cute hands, the girl cried out, but her dark eyes were calm. Strangely, her head was already covered with thin black hair that framed her lovely face. Yes, she was a nice, little princess.

He took the buddle in his hands and he raised her to the sky, while saying

"This child's name will be Kagome".

A flash of lightning and a sudden clap of thunder followed his words. A shiver passed over the king's back.


A/N:
So? Did you enjoy the story?
I truly hope so ^_^
At first I wanted to add more to this chapter, but I thought that this would be the right point to stop. On the next chapter the real story will start. This is simply an introduction. The real story will start after 16 years by this day. Kagome will be 16 years old, and Inuyasha 17 (they're born the same day, with a year of difference).
Obviously… the more I'll see comments, faster I'll put up next chapter ^_^. No reviews = Kagome-sama kneeled down on a corner drawing little circles on the ground… = no more chapters (obviously if I draw circles, I can't write. So, C'mon, don't be shy!)
I wanna REVIEWS è________é
Push the button here above. WRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't bite!