InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Learning how to fall in Love ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: Yes, I'm starting two stories. Hey, my other one is so drama filled that I had to have one filled to the brim with humor! I hope you like this one. I would have set it in Tokyo or something, but I've never been there. The next best place was my favorite city Louisville, Kentucky! I love that place, got lots of good memories there. :D DON'T FORGET TO REVIEW!
 
 
 
Chapter One: Reunion
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome greedily downed the last of her coffee before finishing up the last letter. It was 10:45, and her appointment was at eleven. She still didn't agree with her editor on the whole artist deal, but she didn't exactly have a choice in the matter. Eri was very strict about her magazine.
 
“Kagome! Get a move on it! The artist isn't going to wait forever!”
 
Speak of the devil, Kagome thought as her editor's voice bellowed into her cozy little office. Eri Shay was a long time friend of Kagome's that had recently taken over the Firefly, the nation's fastest growing magazine. It started out just a newspaper between friends that slowly grew into a magazine sent out around the city. After Kagome applied, it exploded into one of the nation's best. Some say that was purely coincidence, but most say it was because of the young advice columnist that it boomed.
 
“I'm hurrying Eri! The newest letters are printing as we speak!” she called back as she pressed print. She threw her hair up in a messy bun and hauled it to the door. Eri appeared at the door, tapping her foot in frustration.
 
“I will take care of the rest, but if you are late for this you will be fired,” she pointed a finger at her friend. Kagome rolled her eyes a little before they both started laughing.
 
“I still don't see why I need to go to this artist anyway,” she grabbed her purse and walked out of the door. Eri sighed as she followed, idly waving a hand to one of the interns to go and fetch Kagome's papers. Thinking twice, she turned and yelled a warning to the young man before bringing her attention back to her star columnist.
 
“Because we need you to get your face out there. Photography is great, but I wanted a more traditional approach,” she seemed to read Kagome's thoughts before continuing. “What makes it such a big deal? People in places like New York and San Francisco do it all the time.”
 
“We aren't in New York or San Fran, we are in Louisville, Kentucky,” Kagome pinched her editor's arm. Eri stood still and eyed the black haired woman in front of her for a moment.
 
“Would you rather be working in some city bigger than Louisville? I'm sure you can find work in New York, or wherever else you want to go. We can set up an office in whatever city you want, just name it,” Eri mocked. She knew Kagome better than the others at the magazine. The woman in question turned glaring brown eyes on the editor.
 
“You know I don't like big cities. Louisville is bad enough, I don't want something bigger,” Kagome continued her glare. In all honesty, she loved Louisville. It was a big city, but it's not like it was miles away from the peace and quiet the girl was used to.
 
“Okay then, you better get a move on. You've only got five minutes till you're late,” Eri tapped her watch as Kagome's right eye twitched a little.
 
“Bye!” she snapped quickly before dashing out the door to the main office and onto the streets. She frantically raced down the sidewalk to the parking lot where she had parked her black Volkswagen Beetle. Cursing under her breath she unlocked the door and threw her purse inside. Reaching to the radio, she turned up the volume on “I Caught Fire” by The Used.
 
--
 
“Ack, stupid phone,” she muttered as the sounds of “Gimme Three Steps” filled the car. Her brother had set her ring tone a few weeks back to his favorite song, and, being the sweet sucker she is, agreed to let it stay. Pulling into a parking lot only a block from 4th Street, she answered the phone that had interrupted her thinking. “What do you want?”
 
“Is that any way to greet an old friend,” a familiar female's voice came through the other end. Kagome nearly squealed as she climbed out of the car. She grabbed her purse and began walking to the food court where she was supposed to meet this artist she knew nothing about.
 
“Oh my gosh! Sango! How long has it been?” despite her best efforts, she squealed.
 
“Three years I think,” Sango's voice came back through the ear piece. “How about you meet me at the food court across from Hard Rock Café?”
 
“I can't, I'm meeting an…Wait a sec, and how do you know where I am?” Kagome stopped below the stairs of the food court and looked around. Sango, standing directly above her best friend, could barely contain her laughter as she watched the girl with the paranoid look on her face shift uneasily. Not able to resist temptation, she spit. “ACK!” Kagome yelled as a ball of spit hit the ground only an inch in front of her.
 
“Right up here dork!” Sango called down as she flipped her phone off. Kagome looked up and laughed. She hung up her own phone and made her way up to meet her old friend.
 
“You could've hit me with that!” she pinched the brunette before giving her a big hug. Sango laughed and lead the way to a table in direct view of a flat screen TV. The TVs, hanging from the ceiling, all were showing a basketball game that had just started between UK and Louisville. Kagome rolled her eyes as she took the seat beside her friend who had a direct shot at the screen.
 
“You know I wouldn't have,” Sango laughed. “My aims not that bad!”
 
“Whatever,” Kagome chuckled. “Who do you think will win?”
 
“I'm not sure. Louisville's looking good this year, but so's Kentucky,” Sango started. Some things will never change, Kagome smiled at the thought. “Louisville has Patino and some good talent this year. Thank God Kentucky finally got rid of Tubby!” Kagome began to laugh, almost regretting her decision to ask that question. Sango stopped and glared at her friend. “And what do you find so funny?”
 
“I just seemed to have forgotten that you never ask Sango Reid about basketball, or any sport for that matter,” Kagome continued to laugh as she dodged a pickle thrown at her head.
 
“Ha-ha, very funny,” Sango picked up the rest of her sandwich and took a bite. Kagome's mouth began to water. “Didn't you say something about meeting someone?” Kagome swallowed and began looking around.
 
“Yeah, I'm supposed to meet an artist. Eri, you remember her right, she's my new editor and she's demanding that I meet with an artist instead of a photographer,” Kagome continued to look around while she explained to her friend. All she managed to see was food that continued to make her mouth water.
 
“Well, go get you some food and she'll be here when you get back,” Sango secretly smiled. Kagome nodded and walked over to the Wendy's stand on the other side of the court. Sango shrugged and went back to eating to her sandwich, which was until Louisville scored after stealing the ball and violently shoving the holder halfway across the floor. “OH COME ON REF! ARE YOU FREAKING BLIND!” she started cursing the ref. Lucky for her, she was joined by a few others before the Louisville fans erupted when the points were taken away.
 
Oh no, we're going to have another Civil War aren't we? Kagome thought nervously as the Kentucky fans and the Louisville fans glared at each other intensely. Sango was leading the UK group, while a man with short black hair in a dark purple dress led the Louisville fans. Kagome took a second look at the man in the dress before a voice broke her thoughts.
 
“He lost a bet last night and has to wear a dress for the entire day,” the man behind the register could barely contain his laughter. “May I take your order ma'am?”
 
“Yeah, I'll have a classic cheeseburger meal with just cheese on my burger please,” she smiled at the blonde behind the counter. He punched in her order and smiled back up at her as she spoke again. “Do you know him personally?”
 
“Not really, but a few of my friends were with him when he lost the bet. I just found it hilarious that he went through with it!” the man laughed again. “That will be $5.50, please.” Kagome smiled as she dug a ten from her purse.
 
“Thanks,” she smiled as the man handed her an empty cup and her change. She walked to the drink dispensers and filled it up to the top with sprite. She watched her friend nearly kill the man in the purple dress for touching her rear and almost died laughing. So, he's a pervert in a dress who likes to bet? AND he likes basketball. Sounds like he's perfect for Sango, Kagome tried to calm down before she died of oxygen depletion. Finally, her number was called. She grabbed her food and walked back to the table.
 
“He's an ass!” Sango steamed as she sat back down.
 
“Just because I like touching them doesn't mean I am one!” he called from his table on the other side of them. Sango blushed, both with fury and embarrassment. Kagome fell out of the chair laughing.
 
“Sango, leave him alone. The poor guy lost some kind of a bet and is being forced to wear a dress all day!” Kagome tried to explain between laughs. Her friend grabbed the drink beside her and gulped it down.
 
“So,” Sango began after calming down a bit. “How do you want this done?”
 
“Huh,” the writer asked. She opened her bag and pulled out a letter in perfect handwriting. The brunette, still smoking a little on her head, didn't take notice and continued.
 
“I'm the artist you are supposed to meet,” she giggled a little. “Eri set up the appointment for me to see you. Mainly so that we renew our friendship, but also to let me do my job and get paid for it.” She was about to continue when she looked at her friend's surprised gaze.
 
“You're the artist,” she lifted an eyebrow then laughed. “I'm not entirely surprised.” She took the letter in her hands and slipped it out of sight before Sango could see it. Sango did though, and pointed to where it was currently shoved under a black and pink purse.
 
“What's that?” she asked. Kagome sighed.
 
“A letter that the blonde cashier over at Wendy's there slipped in my bag,” she jabbed a thumb in the direction of the food stall. She took a bite of her burger and smiled. It had been a while since she ate a nice Wendy's burger.
 
“What's it say?” Sango scooted closer to her and poked her. She was about to press further when a little voice howled.
 
“ACK! YOU WHAT?!” a little red headed boy jumped on the man in the dress and started to choke him. Sango began cheering him on when the kid started to smack him. Kagome rolled her eyes a little and chuckled. Sango turned her attention back to her friend when the boy stopped.
 
“His name is Tyler Hojo, and he wants to go out with me tomorrow night,” she sighed and stuffed the paper into her purse.
 
“Why don't you?” Sango asked as she pulled a sketchpad and a pencil from her bag. She began to sketch a picture and snickered a bit through the whole thing. Kagome groaned as she bit a few fries in half. “You afraid you'll fall in love?” Sango joked.
 
“No,” Kagome answered after she slowly finished off the other half of the fries in her hand.
 
“Then what's the problem? Go date him, maybe fall in love with him, don't worry about it,” Sango never looked up, but continued sketching away at something that was no doubt hilarious.
 
“I swore never to fall in love Sango,” Kagome whispered. Sango barely caught it, but she heard it clear as a bell. The pencil she was holding dropped from her hand onto the table and she shot up with big questioning brown eyes.
 
“What do you mean you `swore never to fall in love' Kagome?!” she was on the verge of going crazy. Here she was, listening to her best friend since kindergarten, who was the biggest romantic in the entire school, say she swore off love.
 
“I don't want to wind up hurt like…you know,” she poked at her burger. Sango slowly nodded her head to indicate she understood. Kagome sighed and then perked up with a big, semi-fake smile. “So, what exactly are you supposed to draw of me?” Sango smiled and pulled something from her bag.
 
“I don't know. I was thinking something towards the romantic fantasy theme, but now I'm not quite sure,” she pointed towards one of the older pictures she drew of the sunset over the ocean.
 
“That looks great Sango,” Kagome slowly turned the pages of the portfolio in her hands. Her eyes couldn't have gotten any bigger as she looked at all the beautiful pictures Sango had drawn.
 
“Thanks,” she blushed a little. She started to open her mouth when a little hand reached up and tugged on Kagome's shirt. Sango looked at her little hero, the red headed boy who had choked the perverted jerk, and smiled. Kagome lifted her head up and stared down at the kid.
 
“Aren't you the woman who writes those children's books with the little puppy?” he asked. Kagome smiled down at him, almost motherly looking to Sango.
 
“Yeah, why do you ask?” Kagome closed the book as the boy smiled. He was really an adorable little thing, and he had somehow gotten a hold of the children's books she had written for one of her old teachers.
 
“I really liked them! I have a little puppy that looks just like the one in the book. My teacher said that you wrote them when you went to my school, is that true?” he looked up at Kagome with the prettiest emerald green, puppy dog eyes she'd ever seen. She couldn't help but ruffle up his red hair.
 
“Yes I did,” she giggled at his big smile. “I'm glad that you liked them.”
 
“No problem, you are a great writer!” he flashed another big smile before taking on a slightly more serious look. “And you're also the advice columnist for that Firefly magazine aren't you?” She nodded and he nearly fainted. “GREAT! That means you can help me!”
 
“You have a problem?” Kagome asked as she pulled back a chair beside her and Sango. He smiled and hopped right in it. Sango, who had given her full attention to the game, grabbed her unfinished sandwich with her eyes still glued to the screen.
 
“Yes, I do,” the little boy started. “By the way, my name is Shippo.”
 
“I'm Kagome,” she smiled as they shook hands. “What seems to be your problem?”
 
“Okay, I have this friend named Mark who lost his parents in a wreck when he was little.” Kagome's smile faltered as she was roped into the tale. “He was adopted by a family friend, who we will call Uncle.” Kagome nodded for him to continue. “Uncle has taken care of Mark since he was about a year and a half with no help from anyone. So far, life has been great for Mark. At least, it was until his sixth birthday when Uncle decided that he needed a mother figure in his life,” Shippo sighed and bent down a little. Kagome reached a hand over and patted his back.
 
“So, Uncle told Mark that he needed to find him a mother figure?” she asked. A secret smile was forming in her mind.
 
“Yeah,” Shippo perked up a little. “And ever since then, he's been dating all these weird girls. I swear to you, Uncle has the worst taste in women! First, he brings home a girl that only wanted him for his hair! How weird is that?!”
 
“His hair?” Kagome questioned as the little kid nodded.
 
“Yep, he used to have really long hair, almost down to his waist. But that weird hair lady cut it off and ran off with it, on their first date! Now his hair is about as long as Miroku's when he lets it go loose,” Shippo nodded. Kagome's eye twitched a little at the thought of someone running off with the guy's hair.
 
“Whose Miroku?” she asked nicely. Shippo pointed to the man in the dress about to kill over because Kentucky was winning.
 
“So you put a name to the sick puppy didn't you,” a dark voice muttered from somewhere in Sango's direction. “Good…good.” Kagome and Shippo looked over to see her rubbing her hands together in a creepy manner before she straightened up and pumped her fists in the air. Halftime, and UK was in the lead.
 
“So…whose she?” Shippo pointed to the psycho artist. Kagome's eye twitched just a little more as she shrugged.
 
“My best friend, Sango Reid,” she stated semi-proudly. Shippo nodded.
 
“Oh…keep her away from my dad. She's the kind of woman I'm trying to keep him away from,” he turned back to see Kagome's questioning stare. “I mean Mark's Dad! Yeah…Mark's dad we call Uncle!” Kagome shrugged and leaned in close to the boy.
 
“I'll keep your secret. I promise,” she whispered as he smiled. She nudged him to continue on and the boy happily did so.
 
“Well, this latest girl has lasted longer than the others. She's boring, speaks like this,” here he imitated the voice of a very boring person. “And…I think she wants to marry him.” He started to shiver. Kagome nodded as she pulled a pen and paper from her bag.
 
“So you want advice on how to run her away and find you…I mean Mark someone suitable to be his mother?” she asked politely. Shippo nodded as she wrote a few points down on paper. “What kind of mother do you want?” Shippo put his little hand to his chin and smiled.
 
“A mother who is nice and sweet. Someone who would treat me like gold, but put Inuyasha in his place,” he smiled at this. Kagome wrote the name Inuyasha off to the side as he continued. “I want a mom that isn't afraid to have fun.” Kagome smiled and continued writing. “I want someone who will give me little brother's and sisters!” They both laughed at this. Shippo looked up at the woman and smiled. She was sweet and really nice. He was just about to say something else when a man popped up out of nowhere.
 
“Hey Shippo, are you bothering people again?” his voice was deep, yet soothing at the same time. It was enough to snap Sango from her careful eye on the screen, and to make Kagome's head raise to meet the hazel eyes of a tired looking 20 year old. He was nearly six foot with a nice build. He wasn't bulky, but he wasn't like the scrawny guy behind the register at Wendy's. He looked Asian to Kagome, but not entirely. His hair was dyed a silvery black kind of color and only made it to his ears. It was a very popular kind of cut in which most guys looked extremely hot in, but you could see he was uncomfortable.
 
“I'm not bothering her! I'm not right, Kagome?” Shippo snapped before looking to the writer for comfort. She smile and patted his head.
 
“Of course not Shippo!” her smile never faltered. The man, whom she could only guess was Inuyasha, sighed and turned an empty seat around so he could sit with them. Sango had already turned her attention back to the game, but kept an ear trained on this guy and her friend.
 
“Okay then, go get something to eat,” he said to the boy throwing him a twenty dollar bill. “Wendy's or Subway only. You're not aloud to have ice cream today remember.” He called to the boy that was headed in the direction of the ice cream stand. Shippo gulped and redirected himself towards Wendy's. “Has he been bothering you?” the man asked Kagome.
 
“No, not at all,” she smiled as she frantically tried to hide the notes. Apparently, today was not her day to try and hide any kind of paper from anyone. He looked over it and let out a small laugh.
 
“Why is my name written on the side of that paper?” he asked. Kagome blushed and handed it too him. He read over the notes and laughed a little at the end. “So, he's got a problem with me and Kikyo? We aren't even dating,” he mused. Kagome looked over at Sango who just stared at the flat screen mumbling obscenities under her breath as Louisville got the ball.
 
“I'm taking it you're Inuyasha then,” Kagome turned her attention back to the man, seeing as how she would get no help from the psycho that had shifted across from her.
 
“Yep, and you're Kagome Higurashi right? The best advice columnist on the east coast,” he flashed a smirk at her before handing her back the paper. She blushed slightly then sighed.
 
“I hate people who say that. I'm not on the east coast. I'm not even near an ocean!” she blurted out. She mentally smacked herself as he started laughing.
 
“Remind me not to compliment you anymore then,” he turned his gaze to the woman just staring at the screen. For some reason, she reminded him of his perverted best friend, and a zombie. “Ya know, I hate zombies.” He mumbled, trying to make Kagome feel a little better.
 
“Why do you hate zombies?” she asked, trying to ignore his first comment. She followed his gaze to where Sango sat. Before she could say anything else, the woman in question jumped out of her seat and hooted happily. Another sadder yell came from behind them where a man in a purple dress fell to the floor in tears. Inuyasha and Kagome looked up to see that UK had beaten Louisville. Both began to fear for their lives as the two separate fan groups in the area either cried in joy or sadness.
 
“I had a dream I was dragged to hell by one,” Inuyasha answered the first question as Shippo brought back some food for the two of them. Kagome nearly laughed at his statement, but decided to hold it in. “Shippo, I think we should get out of here before we are murdered,” he said grabbing his bag of food and standing. Shippo moaned and mumbled something about not wanting to leave yet.
 
“It was nice meeting you Inuyasha…”
 
“Walker. Inuyasha Walker, and it was nice seeing you too,” he smirked at the look on her face. She had visibly paled as a memory flooded back to her. “Come on Shippo, let's go before she turns into a killer zombie too,” he reached for the little boy's hand as another one intercepted it.
 
“Inuyasha Walker…and I take it that is Miroku Morrison,” she pointed to the man getting beaten up by Sango. Inuyasha smiled and nodded, their hands still joined. She waited a minute before jumping into his arms smiling. “Ack! It's been so long!” she cried as she broke the hug. Shippo stared on in confusion but began to like the idea that this girl wasn't a total stranger to his dad.
 
Maybe…hehe…Shippo rubbed his hands together in the same fashion he saw Sango do earlier as a plan began to formulate in his little brain.
 
“Yeah, around ten years now right?” Inuyasha laughed as he picked up the nearly unconscious body of Miroku. “Sango, you still hit like a man I see.”
 
“HEY! Who are you to…” Sango blinked a few times as Inuyasha smirked. She could never forget that smirk. “Inuyasha…Pervert?” she pointed to Miroku.
 
“Lady Sango?” Miroku asked curiously. Just to make sure…OW!....yep…that's her alright! “Sango!”
 
“You perverted monk!” she yelled.
 
Kagome laughed as she looked on all her old friends from theatre camp. It was only one summer that they had spent together, but it was unforgettable. They had done the play Romeo and Juliet that summer with Kagome and Inuyasha playing the tragic star-crossed lovers. Miroku had played the monk that assisted Romeo in the play. For some reason, he liked his costume so much he would go around wearing it all the time. He may have been just teenager at the time, but he was no less perverted than he is now.
 
“Hey Kagome, I have to go right now,” Inuyasha told her as Miroku and Sango nearly killed each other. Kagome whined a little. “Don't whine, you sound like a dog. I have a meeting with Dad in about thirty minutes, but I'd like to see you again.”
 
“Yeah, that would be nice,” Kagome smiled. Shippo looked at all of this and began rubbing his hands together.
 
“Okay, we can all meet up at the bowling alley down the road,” he pointed down the road with his coke in his hands. Kagome smiled as he kissed her cheek and left, Miroku and Shippo following in behind him. Sango walked up to her friend and patted her shoulder.
 
“Swore off love, eh?” Sango smiled as Kagome turned back towards her.
 
“I'm not going to fall in love Sango. Not with him, not with anyone,” she sighed as she gathered her bags. Sango laughed and pulled out an old picture stuffed in her purse. She slipped it to Kagome, who gasped. It was an old picture of a teenage her and Inuyasha in their costumes from the play.
 
“Love doesn't like it when you give up on it,” Sango smiled as she led the way out onto the street with Kagome.
 
Love doesn't wait for you to be ready for it. It hits you upside the head with a mallet the size of Texas and you are helpless to defend yourself against it, Sango smiled as she remembered the old words Miroku had told her one night that summer.