InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Learning how to fall in Love ❯ Bowling ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Chapter Two: Bowling
 
 
“Hey Jerk.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Who else?” Kagome laughed as the confused voice began cursing. “You okay?”
 
“Yeah, Shippo just dropped a block on my toe,” Inuyasha's deep voice came through the other line. “How did you get my number?” Kagome sighed and turned to see Sango holding up an old picture of the four of them at camp. She motioned for her to put it up and leave the box of memories alone.
 
“Shippo slipped me your cell phone number before you left. You never set a time for the bowling thing,” she grabbed her pen and began to write on a piece of paper. A vocabulary that would put sailors to shame came from the other line as a loud crash added to it. “Do I need to call back later?”
 
“NO! That's okay! We will meet you at the alley around 4:30 if that's okay!” a high pitched, happy voice took over. Kagome smiled as she recognized Shippo's voice from earlier. She wrote 4:30 on the paper and tossed it to Sango.
 
“Okay Shippo, I guess I'll see you there,” her voice automatically took on the “mother” tone. “Tell Inuyasha I said to stop cussing so much.”
 
“Will do!” Shippo chirped as they hung up. Kagome smiled at the phone then turned her attention fully to the artist digging through a box of old memories.
 
They had made it to Sango's new studio shortly after leaving the food court. Kagome had begun admiring all the paintings while Sango started sifting through old boxes. The boxes were filled with old pictures of the four together during the camp. Sango whimpered a little as she picked up a picture of Inuyasha and Kagome in the infamous kissing scene. Miroku swore that it lasted longer than it was supposed to, but he also swore that Inuyasha slipped her the tongue in the party scene; everyone knew that was a lie. Still, it was good memories that Sango cherished and kept with her all these years.
 
She reluctantly put the old picture back into the dark box when and idea hit her. Shippo had complained about Inuyasha and some boring freak that he didn't want together. Kagome had decided to swear off love. To Sango, it seemed like they were destined for each other.
 
“Shoot! I've got to pick up Sota,” Kagome called as she raced out the door. Sango looked at the papers floating in the air where her friend had sat moments before. With another sigh, she stood up and walked over to clean up the mess when a paper hit her in the face.
 
“ACK! I'M BEING ATTACKED!” was the scream heard in the parking lot followed by a loud thump as Sango's butt hit the floor. “Stop drop and roll! Stop drop and roll!” she chanted as she rolled around on the floor. She would have probably rolled off the side of the building had a foot not stopped her.
 
“I believe that is for fires only,” a familiarly annoying voice taunted from somewhere above her. Sango growled as she popped up to meet the humorous gaze of a blue eyed pervert.
 
“Yeah, well whatever!” she cried childishly. Looking around for something to hit him with, she found the piece of paper that had attacked her. Miroku starting talking, but she wasn't listening to anything he said. She found herself scrutinizing a list in Kagome's handwriting. “Who's Kikyo?”
 
“Huh? Oh, Kikyo's this one weird chick that's trying to get Inuyasha to marry her,” he rolled up one of the many scattered papers and tossed it at Sango. “Why do you ask that?”
 
“Kagome wrote her name down on this with a bunch of other weird stuff,” Sango flashed the list in her hand. A light bulb went off in her head as she turned a nasty glare on Miroku. “HEY! Whoever said you could come into my place without permission?!”
 
“Um…” Miroku held his hands up in defense as he slowly edged away. “I just wanted to see a beautiful face that's all!” Sango backed down, but still `humphed' at his comment. “This is where you live?”
 
“Only part time,” Sango nodded, pulling up a chair for her to sit in. “I don't have enough money to rent a house and studio in all the towns I have business in.”
 
“Ah,” Miroku rubbed his non-existent goatee for moment. “Why would Kagome have Kikyo's name down on a list? I'm pretty sure they've never met before.”
 
“Shippo was complaining about Inuyasha being with some boring woman. He said she wasn't right for him,” Sango shrugged. She shifted a glare on Miroku who looked like he had just been hit in the head with a large mallet.
 
“That's Kikyo alright,” he started smiling devilishly. “Is Kagome seeing anyone?”
 
“I've already thought of that, Monk,” Sango returned his smile with one of equal devilishness. Miroku chuckled darkly.
 
“I see you still call me Monk.”
 
“Old habits die hard,” she shrugged again. “Kagome's sworn off love.”
 
“Well, that's not right. What do you say we…” Sango cut him off as she nodded vigorously. Seconds later, evil laughter filled the entire room. A few passersby down on the streets looked up and shrugged.
 
“Don't tell me the circus is back in town,” one said to his friend.
 
“Nah, it's probably just a couple idiots scheming up something that's gonna get them hurt,” the friend shrugged. His buddy whapped him in the head with his briefcase and glared.
 
“You're an idiot.”
 
---
 
Inuyasha waited in one of the lounge areas by the bowling lane. He'd gotten there early so he could acquire the best lane, and order Shippo food before anyone else got there. Shippo sat across from him, playing with his bowling shoes. They felt funny on his feet, and they looked even weirder. Inuyasha nearly laughed at his adopted son's behavior. Soon, he found himself drifting off once again into the thoughts of finding a mother for him.
 
“Pop,” Shippo called. Inuyasha looked up to see the kid with a funny look on his face. “What do you think of Kagome?”
 
“She's alright,” Inuyasha shrugged. “Why do you ask?”
 
“She's here!” Shippo jumped up before answering the question. Casting a glance to the doorway, Inuyasha saw Miroku's mouth drop. Of course, the first thing he saw was the waitresses walking around in fishnet stockings and skimpy little outfits. He had started to drool a little when a fist connected with the back of his head causing him clam up. Same ole Sango, Inuyasha laughed.
 
“Hey guys!” Kagome called out as she walked up to the two. Sango dragged Miroku behind her, mumbling something about stupid men with wandering eyes.
 
“Hey,” Inuyasha flashed a smirk her way. He rubbed the back of his head only to be hit with the thought that he severely missed his hair. His hair always grew back fast, but he was still a little freaked out that someone else, as in other than him, chopped it off. No more internet dating, I don't care if it is eharmony or not! He winced.
 
“Hola Inuyasha!” Sango called from the other side of the bar. Inuyasha had managed to snag the first lane, the one closest to the shoes. “What size you wear Kagome?!”
 
“Um…Five and a half,” Kagome called back. Inuyasha nearly choked on his coke. Miroku, who had been dragged to the shoe counter with Sango, tripped and fell down the short steps. “What?” Kagome innocently asked as she plopped down beside Shippo.
 
“Five and a half? Rin can wear your shoes!” Shippo happily chirped. Kagome laughed a little then turned a confused look on Inuyasha.
 
“Rin's my niece. She's seven,” Inuyasha explained, reaching for his coke. The woman beside Shippo laughed and messed his hair up.
 
“That's alright, I got Sota's hand me down shoes,” she smiled. Shippo looked confused for a minute before directing his attention to the half eaten plate of French fries on the table. Inuyasha raised and eyebrow in suspicion.
 
“Isn't Sota your younger brother?” Kagome nodded. “So, then it would be hand me ups, then wouldn't it?” Inuyasha took another drink of his coke, all of a sudden finding his mouth extremely dry.
 
“I guess it would be,” Kagome laughed. Sango and Miroku returned carrying a pair of tiny shoes for Kagome. She slipped them on as a waitress in fishnet stockings sauntered up. Miroku's mouth dropped, then unhinged when Sango punched him in the back of the head.
 
“Can I get you guys anything to drink?” the young woman smiled. She laid three menus on the low table in front of them and pulled a notepad from somewhere on the skimpy uniform.
 
“I'll have a Dr. Pepper thank you,” Miroku put on his best “you-know-you-want-me” smile. This did nothing but earn him a smack from Sango and a laugh from the waitress.
 
“I'll have the same please,” the artist sighed. I remember Miroku being hard to handle, but not this hard to handle, she reflected. Kagome looked over the beverages section of the menu before lifting her head up.
 
“Cherry Coke please,” she finally decided. The lemonade looked good, but so did the Sprite. Having so many good drink choices, she decided on the one that hardly any restaurant carries. It helped that it was her favorite.
 
“Okay, be right back,” the waitress beamed before taking off with the drink orders. Sango scanned over the menus faster than a standardized test grader could even dream of. Miroku watched all the waitresses moving around, but carefully making it seem he was having a hard time deciding on what to eat. Kagome, though, didn't have to make it seem like she was having a hard time, she was. Everything looked so good, but too much for her splurge on this.
 
“The shrimp is excellent,” Inuyasha smirked from opposite Kagome. He could tell she was having a hard time choosing, so he decided to be the nice guy for once. “The burgers aren't too bad either.”
 
“I don't think I can eat all that though,” Kagome never looked up. She was still drooling over the pictures of delicious food that was too far from her price rang. Don't get me wrong, the magazine she works at pays out the wazoo for every letter she responds to, but she wasn't always as “rich” as she is now. Her mother always warned her against spending too much only to waste half of the food, and she was never to waste food.
 
“Okay, how about I get the shrimp and you get a large plate of fries and we split it?” Inuyasha offered. This caught the young woman's attention as she slowly turned her gaze to meet the hazel eyes of her old friend. She caught it that he was willing to pay for the more expensive portion, and have her only pay a small amount. She smiled.
 
“That's sounds like a good idea.”
 
“YOU HENTAI!” Sango shrieked. People glanced their way before returning back to their games. Miroku, sprawled on the ground, was nursing his injured cheek as a fuming artist glared down at him.
 
“I see Sango still watches anime,” Inuyasha commented. Kagome nodded. The waitress returned carrying the new drinks for the three and refills for Inuyasha and Shippo. She giggled a little as Miroku hopped up and tried to act impressive, a huge red handprint still evident on his cheek.
 
“Are you ready to order or do you need a little more time?” she asked politely.
 
“We're ready,” Inuyasha smirked, taking control of the situation. “I'll have the shrimp please; you know how I like it.” The waitress nodded and quickly wrote the order down. “Kagome will have a large plate of fries, but put it on my bill will ya Kate?” his smirk widened at the look of pure surprise on Kagome's face.
 
“Sure thing Yash,” Kate the waitress smiled. Kagome began to glare at Inuyasha who only shrugged and smirked. Kate turned her attention to Miroku and Sango who, for only God knows why, started another argument.
 
“Ugh,” Sango groaned before realizing the waitress was there. She immediately blushed. “I'll have a burger and some small fries please.”
 
“Same,” Miroku copied Sango again. He didn't dare stare at the waitress, touch her, or even smile for fear of another embarrassing smack like earlier. Kate finished writing it all down and took off into the back to grab the food.
 
“Why did you do that?” Kagome asked as soon as she was out of earshot. Inuyasha shrugged and took a sip of his newly refilled drink.
 
“I was raised to pay a woman's way,” he sat his drink down. “Look, do you want me to tell her to give you your own bill?” Silence. “That's what I thought. Enough of the bickering though, let's bowl.”
 
“YAY!” Shippo jumped.
 
They had decided to do without teams and just go with whoever could get the highest score. While the others picked out a ball, Inuyasha tried to put everyone's name into the machine, which had decided to hold a grudge against Inuyasha that day. Finally, after a few harsh words and a “little” punch, he got everything set up and everyone else got their balls. All their names showed up on the screen above the alley. On the one further down, weird videos and things began playing. The pins set up and Inuyasha went first.
 
“Let me show you girls how to do this,” he smirked. Kagome, thirsting for revenge, waited patiently until he got ready to release the ball.
 
“DON'T MISS BABY!” she called out. Inuyasha had raised a six year old kid from diapers, he was used to yelling. The yelling didn't faze him one bit, it was the little word tagged on the end that caused him to throw the ball into the gutter. Everyone laughed, more on an evil basis for the two scheming idiots behind Kagome.
 
“Why you…” Inuyasha growled as he advanced on her. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms looking defiant. In an instant, she was scooting back into the leather lounge gasping for air as Inuyasha mercilessly tickled her. Sango and Miroku's evil laughter escalated even more, causing the two in front of them to cease the tickle fight and stare on in confusion.
 
“Kagome's turn!” Shippo called back, breaking the strange tension in the back. Kagome wiggled around Inuyasha and up to grab her ball. Inuyasha returned to his seat and grabbed his drink. Shippo cast a glance back at Sango and Miroku and mouthed a “You Owe Me.”
 
“Don't miss, sweetie,” Inuyasha called to her in a more hushed tone, playfully. She glared back at him, a smile struggling to break free on her lips. Carefully, she took off forwards and let the ball fly on the lane. Straight down the middle it went, and straight into the gaggle of pins. They all scattered across the end of the lane, not a one was left standing. Kagome turned back around, made a little gun out of her right hand and blew the “barrel” cool.
 
“That is how you bowl, sweetie,” she stressed the last word out with a growing smirk on her face. Everyone looked on in shock, except for Shippo who barreled into Kagome's stomach.
 
The rest of the afternoon went on pretty much the same. Kagome and Inuyasha were constantly fighting for leadership in the game while Sango and Miroku were just plain fighting. Shippo sat back and relaxed, occasionally getting a nice cuddling thanks to Kagome. He was really beginning to like her, and it looked like Inuyasha was too. While the two would-be couples argued over their respective problems, Shippo began hatching a master plan.
 
She's much nicer and friendlier than Kikyo and a whole lot prettier too. They have the same shaped face, but other than that the two are completely different. “Kikyo reminds me of a zombie,” Shippo didn't realize until too late that he had spoken the last part aloud. Sango and Miroku kept up their argument, but listened intently to what would be said next. Their arguing turned into more of a grunting match as neither one of them really were listening to the other. Kagome stared at Shippo in slight confusion; she had no real idea who Kikyo was.
 
Inuyasha though, looked at his son and started laughing. The others nervously followed afterwards and before long they all started laughing like fools. “Hey!” Inuyasha managed to catch his breath a little. “What are you guys doing later tonight?”
 
“I'm not doing anything,” Sango spoke first. A grunt of agreement came from Miroku.
 
“Neither am I, why?” Kagome smiled, trying to catch her breath a little bit. Inuyasha smirked and stood over them with a superior look.
 
“Come by my place and we'll watch `Shaun of the Dead,'” he offered. Sango shook her head energetically in agreement as she downed the last of her Dr. Pepper. Miroku, once again, managed to grunt a little bit. People started to think he was a clone of a caveman as he continued on with the grunting at everyone who passed by.
 
“Sure, where do you live?” Kagome asked innocently. Inuyasha began to blush as Shippo happily perked up.
 
“We live at the Galt House!” he chimed before finishing off his coke. Kagome looked up at the boy's father and noticed the growing blush spreading across his cheeks.
 
“My dad tore down my place and is rebuilding it. He got me and Shippo a room at the Galt for the next month or so. It's just until the house is finished,” Inuyasha explained. Kagome nodded and seemed to understand.
 
“I love the Galt House,” she sighed. “You're so lucky to `live' there.”
 
“Yep, and I get to stay with him!” Miroku laughed. Inuyasha shifted uncomfortably, but managed to control the spreading blush on his cheeks. Kagome and Sango reached for their bags as they stood up and stretched.
 
“Well, what're we waiting for?” Sango began walking towards the door. Miroku grabbed her pants and pulled her back a little.
 
“The bill.”
 
“Oh…hehe…sorry!”
 
 
 
 
A/N: Thanks so much for reviews! I'll try to get in at least one chapter a week. My other story is coming along a little slower, but I'm still working pretty hard on it. Thanks again for the reviews!
 
 
THOUGHT OF THE DAY!
 
Some people see the glass half full….optimists
 
Some see it half empty….pessimists
 
Some see it half full then half empty, then half full….schizophrenics
 
Some see it and go “HEY! This isn't what I ordered! Where's my cheeseburger?!”….New Yorkers…
 
-from the mind of my psychotic friend.
 
Got any Thought's of the Day you want put in here, just send them to me in a review or a PM and I'd be more than happy to throw it in if I can!