InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Learning how to fall in Love ❯ Killer Cini-Minis ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three: Killer Cini-minis
 
 
 
 
 
 
The group arrived at the Galt House at a little past seven. Inuyasha lead them to the elevator, stopping briefly to check his mail at the front desk and give the young man a tip. There were a few other people in the elevator besides them. Miroku poked Shippo and grinned devilishly as he pointed to the small bag the little boy was carrying. Shippo caught on and mimicked the older guy's face.
 
“Hey Miroku, can you hold my bag for me,” he asked innocently, holding up the bag to Miroku.
 
“Sure, but why did you have to kill the guy?” Miroku took the bag with a face of stone. Slight gasps came from a few people in the back of the elevator. Inuyasha rolled his eyes and hit Miroku on the back of the head as the door opened up.
 
“You're an idiot, Miroku,” Sango sighed. Miroku shrugged and put at arm around her.
 
“Yeah, but you still love me,” he grinned. She ignored the comment and filed out of the elevator with the rest. Inuyasha quietly led the way to his “apartment” at the end of the hall. He quickly opened the door and swung his arm in a dramatic way.
 
“Welcome to Casa Inuyasha,” he smirked. Shippo bolted in the door, followed by Kagome and Sango. Miroku held back a little and patted Inuyasha's shoulder.
 
“Speak English, you know we don't understand Japanese,” he rushed through the door before Inuyasha could hurt him. Kagome turned around and smiled at the two.
 
“Actually Miroku, I do understand Japanese. I'm Japanese remember,” she shrugged off her coat and plopped on the couch. “Besides, that was Spanish.”
 
“Technically so are we, but we don't understand it,” Miroku pointed out. Sango punched Miroku in the arm before taking her seat by Kagome.
 
“That's because our parents are from America and they've never been to Japan. Kagome's family came to America just before she was born,” she sighed. Miroku squeezed in between the two and wrapped his arms around them.
 
“It's been around ten years since me and Inuyasha have seen you two. Our memories aren't that good,” he hugged the two. Inuyasha shook his head and went somewhere in the back to get the movie. Kagome looked around the room as a pajama clad Shippo jumped on to her lap.
 
It was a decent sized room with a little refrigerator and sink to the side. A large TV set was opposite the couch with drawers for games and movies; a Sony Playstation already hooked up. There was a small coffee table in front of the couch, and a shut door off to the side that led into the rest of the room. She couldn't see the bathroom, but knew it was probably behind the door where Inuyasha had disappeared to. If she remembered correctly, the couch pulled out into a spare bed in case the two in the other room were occupied.
 
She continued to look around, barely noticing the fact that Inuyasha had made his way back in the room. Sighing happily she decided that life probably couldn't get any better than this. She was with friends who she hadn't seen in ten years, one in three, and they were having a blast. This immense feeling of joy could most likely be from her winning the bowling match as well.
 
“We can watch the movie in the bedroom. There's more space there,” Inuyasha decided, unhooking the Playstation from the TV. Miroku shrugged and helped Sango to her feet, trying very hard not to say something perverted at Inuyasha wanting them all to go to the bedroom. Kagome nodded and arose with Shippo in her arms.
 
“That's fine with us,” she smiled. Miroku opened the door that had cut off the two rooms before and ushered the ladies through. I thought that's where the bathroom was, Kagome smirked as she looked through the open door opposite the vanity in the hall. She entered the bedroom only to be assaulted by the smell of deodorant. And not just any deodorant either.
 
“AXE!” Sango yelled. Miroku reflexively dropped flat to the ground and covered his head. Shippo stared at the man, then back at the two giggly girls.
 
“Aaah! Axe deodorant!” Kagome ran into the room and plopped on the bed closest to the door. It was drenched in Axe: Phoenix. Sango jumped on the other only to smell another kind of Axe. The two looked at each other and smiled.
 
“The only truth in advertising!” the said in unison before falling out laughing. Inuyasha stood at the doorway bewildered. One of the girls had yelled Axe, his best friend was looking up at him from the ground, and there was a woman rolling around in his bed sniffing the covers like they were crack. Confused would probably be the understatement of the century here.
 
“What are you talking about?” he asked the women. Finally getting up the courage, he walked over to his bed and shoved Kagome's legs out of the way so he could sit down. Kagome looked up at him, then back at the bed. Somewhere amid the heavy staring at the two, she had developed an oversized blush on her face that was currently spreading to her neck and shoulders.
 
“Um…” she stuttered, only causing the blush to increase. Sango looked up and plastered one hell of a goofy smile on her face.
 
“We love Axe, and any guy that wears it!” she giggled. “It's the only truth in advertising.”
 
“You mean where all the lovely women jump on the guy in the department store,” Miroku asked from the ground. For some odd reason, he'd stayed there.
 
“No that's TAG. Axe is the one with the girls' backs imprinted with the signs and stuff,” Shippo offered. Sango looked at him and laughed a little before returning to her pillow.
 
“Miroku…” At the sound of his roommate calling his name, Miroku looked up from the floor. “What the hell are you still doing on the floor?”
 
“Ah, well you see…” he started. “Sango hit my back while making the mad dash to the bed.”
 
“Oh, sorry,” Sango apologized and picked him up. He whispered something in her ear that made her smirk. “Sit with me please,” she play begged. He “submitted” and let her help him to the bed.
 
“Start the movie already!” Shippo yelled. He was comfortably sitting with Kagome in his father's bed, waiting for Inuyasha to put the movie in and join them. Kagome smirked and was thinking up a more intelligent way to say, `Hey Inuyasha I thought you hated zombies.' She failed to find any and opened her mouth to say it when her phone went off.
 
She took a deep breath as “Gimme Three Steps” filled the room. Shippo smiled happily as one of his and his father's favorite songs came on. She answered the phone with a slight whimper, “Moshi Moshi.” She had taken the time to notice that it was her grandfather calling and was wise enough to answer in Japanese; her grandfather didn't speak English very well.
 
Her face darkened in slight annoyance as the conversation in Japanese drug on and on. After about ten minutes, she managed to slow the man down enough to tell him to hang on. “Sorry guys, but I got to go,” she sighed in English before returning to her grandfather arguing with himself over the evils of Wal-Mart on a Friday night. Sango looked at the potentially dangerous situation of her best friend leaving her with a perverted freak and decided it best to drive Kagome home.
 
“Wait up!”
 
--
 
The next morning found Kagome staring at the screen of her lap top in frustration. An abandoned cup of what was at one time filled with coffee sat on the counter beside her. Letters were strewn across, not only the counter, but the majority of the room. Some of them were marked with red, noting that they were already answered; while others had blue to mark they were unanswered. A few here and there had no markings, a sign they had yet to be read and decided on.
 
Groaning in defeat, Kagome slipped off the stool and made her way to the small kitchen. It was Saturday, which meant that she could sleep in for as long as she wanted, but she was awake at the crack of dawn. Why? She had no damn idea. She had decided that it was to respond to some of the letters that wouldn't be put in the paper, which she knew, was a lie.
 
She had written responses to some letters dealing with tedious problems that could easily be solved with duct tape and ibuprofen. It only took her five minutes to write the responses to these. Getting into her groove, she picked up a letter that promised to be difficult. She had started writing at 6:30 AM; three and a half hours later found her still trying to write a good reply.
 
The woman who had written to her had a problem in the love department, the one Kagome had sworn off. She apparently was interested in a guy who had just been through a nasty divorce with an unfaithful wife. The man was interested in dating, if only to find a suitable mother for his son. The major problem was: he didn't want love. All he was interested in was a mother for his kid, and nothing more. The woman wasn't interested in making the man fall in love with her, she wanted him to stop being afraid of love.
 
Kagome had had a hard time trying to reply to this. On one hand, she could understand the woman's need to help the man. She herself had only become an advice columnist to help others. Yet, on the other hand she knew exactly how the guy felt. He didn't want to get hurt, so he backed away from love and life. He didn't want heartache on his hands.
 
Every part of the letter, every response she could even imagine thinking of, led her straight back to the real reason she woke up at 6:30 in the morning: Inuyasha Walker. Was it her fault that the letter brought up feelings she had developed for the man? Yes, abso-freaking-lutely. After all, it had only been one day.
 
“Just my luck that I pick the hardest letter in the bunch,” she mumbled. She had decided it best to put the letter, and Inuyasha, away and leave them be. It was one of those things that she just couldn't do.
 
She started poking around in the kitchen, hoping to come across something worth eating. Although she was quite wealthy, she had yet to find the time to buy food. All she ever really had to buy was enough to get her through the three days during the week Eri had her come to the office. The other days she would drive 20 miles outside of town to her mother's house and eat with them.
 
“But Mom just had to move back to Madisonville didn't she,” she started cursing. Her mother had recently moved in with Grandpa after his wife died last fall. He couldn't keep the farm up himself, but he refused to sell it. He couldn't hire much help because he could barely speak English, and what he could speak of it, the workers didn't understand. Hey, that's what you get for hiring illegal aliens who spoke broken English. Of course, at the time he had no idea they were illegal, but when INS arrived at his doorway and took them away he seemed to have gotten the idea.
 
Hanae had decided it best that the family move back. She figured if they didn't, Grandpa would wind up finding a way to hurt himself. Kagome has work in the city, a job and a life of her own now. She has opted for visiting every other weekend, like her family was a kid she didn't have full custody on. Unfortunately for her, this week was the one she had on her own. With no food.
 
She had almost decided just to go back to bed and whither away when her cell phone rang. Once again, Lynyrd Skynyrd blared from the pink and black phone on the counter. Hoping it was someone calling about free food for life, or just breakfast, Kagome nearly fell trying to answer it.
 
“OUCH! Whoops, I mean hello…” she grinded out between clenched teeth. Genius Kagome had jammed her foot into the counter when she turned around.
 
“Did I call at a bad time?” a distinctively male voice came through the tiny speaker on the phone. Kagome pulled it away from her ear and looked down at the caller ID. The expression she wore on her face was absolutely priceless. Hesitantly she put the phone back in its proper place next to her ear.
 
“Perfect timing actually,” she cracked a small smile. “I don't think I've ever answered the phone quite like that before. It's an honor.”
 
“I'm sure,” came the sarcastic reply. Although she couldn't see him, Kagome knew he was smirking.
 
“What do you want from me Inuyasha? Scratch that, how the hell did you get my number?!” Screw manners, she was irritable and her Grandfather kept her up most the night with his whining over the phone. Hey, it wasn't her fault he decided to go into Wal-Mart on a Friday night to shop.
 
“Who shit in your cheerios?”
 
“I think it's who peed in your Wheaties.”
 
“Whatever, point is I was calling to ask if you wanted me to bring you something to eat.” Kagome once again pulled the phone away from her ear to make sure who the caller was. She stared at it incredulously before slowly holding it back in place. “And I had the number saved from where you called yesterday.”
 
“I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but the term `bring you something to eat' usually means that you'll be going to said person's residence,” she tried to sound intelligent. Her statement merited a snort from the other line.
 
“Yes Einstein I know what that means. Last night you said you wouldn't mind watching Shippo for me today while I helped with the house,” he reminded her gently. Inuyasha knew just how hard it was to remember small things when you had work that needed to be done. “Of course, if you forgot I can find another sitter.”
 
“No! I'd love to watch Shippo. I did forget about it there for a minute, but there's no need to find someone else.”
 
“So, what do you want to eat? We're going to stop at Burger King.”
 
“If you can pick me up those mini cinnamon rolls I'll pay you back when you get here,” she smiled. Her mouth began watering at the thought of delicious food. Her thoughts were unfortunately broken by laughter on the other end.
 
“Shippo, those are three weeks old!” She heard Inuyasha say in-between bouts of laughter. From somewhere beside him she heard Shippo howling about how stupid it was to keep three week old sandwiches in his car. “Sorry `bout that, you know how kids are. Cini-mini's it is and I refuse to let you pay me back.”
 
“That almost sounded gentleman-like. Who are you and what have you done with the Inuyasha I used to know?” she teased. Truth was she kind of liked the new Inuyasha.
 
“He grew up, Kagome.” The softness of the voice hit Kagome like a ton of bricks. This really wasn't the Inuyasha she used to know. The old Inuyasha wouldn't be caught dead ever being so gently, or ever calling Kagome by her name.
 
“Oh,” was all the reply she could manage.
 
“Yeah, I'll talk to you when I get there. We're pulling into BK right now,” his voice returned to normal. “Ciao!”
 
“Soreja!” Kagome clicked off the phone and retreated to the beat up, faded couch. Her mind flew back to the letter. Back to the empty Microsoft Word page up on the lap top, with nothing written on it. Her mind flew in all different directions, every one of them leading to Inuyasha.
 
I can't fall for him, it's only been one day! Besides, I don't want to wind up like Mom, she thought bitterly. She started shaking her head back and forth, hoping to erase all the unwanted thinking.
 
She was so wrapped up in her head shaking, she barely heard the knock on her door. Looking up with a mixture of dizziness and confusion written all over her face, she stared at the door. Inuyasha can't be here already, I just hung up with him.
 
Kagome, open the door it's me.” She heard Inuyasha, but still kept thinking it couldn't be him. He had just said he was pulling into Burger King, and last she checked there were no BKs around.
 
“You can't be Inuyasha,” she called back. She heard a heavy sigh come from outside the door.
 
“There's a Burger King behind the apartments. There's also a Dairy Queen, McDonald's, Sureway, and Blockbuster down the road.”
 
Hesitantly, she opened the door. Leaning on her doorframe was a silver haired man carrying a Burger King bag and drinks. Shippo was darting around behind him doing something. She couldn't really tell; her eyes were stuck on the silver hair. “What did you do?” she asked dumbly, pointing a finger to his head. He blushed.
 
“It's called: Hair Color Gone Terribly Wrong. You like?” he joked. Kagome had to bite her lip to keep from laughing. He looked annoyed and glared at her. “If you laugh, you don't get the food.”
 
“Don't give me the food,” she returned his glare. “And you don't get in.”
 
“DON'T ARGUE!” Shippo yelled, his legs crossed. “I got to freaking pee!”
 
“Down the hall to the left,” Kagome pointed and widened the door. Shippo darted through and a door slamming was heard next. “Hand over the food and no one gets killed.”
 
“You'd kill me over food?” Inuyasha stepped through. He took the moment to look around the apartment. This place looks worse than mine, he thought.
 
“I'm starving,” Kagome whined. She tried to sneak the food away from Inuyasha, who just lifted it high above his head.
 
“Then why don't you fix yourself something to eat?” He asked innocently enough, but it caused a large blush to appear on Kagome's face. She backed down and walked over to turn off her lap top.
 
“I can't cook,” she confessed with a sigh. Inuyasha shook his head and dumped the bag onto the kitchen table. The table was covered in letters and envelopes.
 
“Can't clean either I see.”
 
“What's that supposed to mean?”
 
“It means you've never had a kid before,” he laughed, pulling her cinnamon rolls from the bag. Kagome couldn't stop her mouth from watering.
 
She walked over to the table, a hungry look in her eye. Some drool was hanging from the corner of her mouth. Inuyasha turned around, just as Kagome snapped from her food hypnosis. Allow me to explain really quickly that Kagome is a very jumpy person. It may have been born from watching too many horror movies as a kid, or simply because she had a little brother and a prankster for a grandfather. Either way, she jumped when Inuyasha turned around quickly. Here's an equation for you:
 
Jumping + Turning around quickly x Two weird 20 somethings - Rational thinking + Little kid with perfect timing = a priceless, embarrassing situation.
 
“Dad, is that what Miroku means when he says he wants to jump a woman's bones?” Shippo asked innocently, but to two embarrassed adults laying on top of each other covered in cinnamon rolls and frosting, it was enough that the both wanted to die.
 
 
 
 
A/N: I have the majority of the plot figured out now, and I even know how I want it to end. The problem is how to get it to the end. Oh well, I'll figure something out!
 
THOUGHT OF THE DAY
(Brought to you by the letter E, the number 4, and Sugar Freak!)
 
People are like Slinkys. They are useless, but it's fun to watch them fall down stairs!