InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Left At The Altar ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

If you checked out my page in the past two weeks you would have already known about this story. I felt much urge to do this story but fans of The Princess And The Pup wouldn't like that since I already went seven months without updating until chapter five. However, I couldn't stop myself from have the prologue. To TPATP readers, the next chapter is titled Demon Vs. Slayer.
 
 
 
 
*=a word in Japanese defined at the bottom of the page.
 
 
 
 
Left At The Alter
 
Stranded…
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Damn it, hurry up! I can't stay still much longer!” Inuyasha complained loudly at Sesshomaru, who was currently taking his measurements.
 
 
 
“Well, little brother, it would be easier to do this if I had both arms…” Sesshomaru muttered to himself but a twitch of the dog ears atop Inuyasha's head informed him that he had indeed heard him.
 
 
 
 
The half-demon grunted aggravated at the irritable topic. Inuyasha was the sole reason Sesshomaru has one arm but that was a discussion for another day.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha shifted uneasily much to Sesshomaru's displeasure. He took in a deep breath before doing his best to stay still.
 
 
 
 
 
The awkward silence typical to this situation would have been better than the sound of a one-armed man trying to take measurements of a ever-moving half-demon.
 
 
 
 
 
“Nervous?” Sesshomaru finally asked to end the humiliating noise.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha looked down at his brother and did his best not to laugh when he saw the measuring tape in his mouth as he struggled with his objective.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Sort of.” Inuyasha offered with a shrug of his shoulders that was answered with a disapproving growl from behind him. “Kagome has been acting odd lately…do you think she's nervous?”
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru continued fighting with the tape before saying. “Lift your arms.”
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha complied and felt uncomfortable having Sesshomaru's face so near his. The quiet crept back over until the half-demon made a grunt.
 
 
 
 
 
“God, is it really so hard to stand still?” The one-armed man scolded, finally letting his annoyance slip into his tone.
 
 
 
 
 
“Hey, I didn't move! I was clearing my throat!” Inuyasha shouted…and moved.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru groaned again and Inuyasha got back in position.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Have you met anyone you're interested in?” The half-demon inquired more as a conversation starter not really expecting an answer…which he got.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha saw something flash in Sesshomaru's eyes before it quickly concealed itself again.
 
 
 
 
 
“Actually, I met this one girl the other day.” The enthusiasm he was unable to hide perplexed the man doing his best to keep his body in the `T' pose.
 
 
 
 
 
“Is that so?” Inuyasha eyebrow rose, unnoticed by the man behind him. “What's her name?”
 
 
 
 
 
“Rin.” Sesshomaru answered quickly…too quickly.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha's curiosity had peaked. It wasn't often you heard Sesshomaru talk about anything about his personal life. Not that there was much going on in his personal life most of the time. It made it all more suspicious how excited he was the moment the half-demon brought it up.
 
 
 
 
 
“Where'd you meet her?” Time for the investigation.
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru didn't even respond to the question which didn't strike him as odd but Inuyasha wasn't about to give up.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Did you get her phone number?” Inuyasha's tone was beginning to give away his interest in the matter at hand.
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru kept silent on the topic and hastily tried to change the subject.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Why do you think Kagome's nervous?”
 
 
 
Inuyasha sighed and figured it was a miracle he even got a peep out of his brother, much less a name.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“I don't know. It seems like she's been avoiding me lately. You don't think she's has cold feet, do you?” Inuyasha asked fearfully.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru let a small laugh that made Inuyasha looked down to see him jot down a few numbers on some scratch paper. The half-demon let his breath that he had been holding due to the stress it took to stay still. Sesshomaru stood up to his true height, a bit taller than Inuyasha, and rolled his neck in relief.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“I'm sure she's just nervous, Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru said with his eyes aim straight at his little brother yet seemed looking into distant space. He then looked away shamefully before continuing. “I'm sure she'll be fine…” Sesshomaru swallowed the lump in his throat. “once you get married.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“I guess.” The half-demon spoke with a doubtful tone. He sneezed suddenly that was followed soon by a certain brother of his wiping his shoulder in disgust.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“What's next on this list?” The half-demon requested trying to avoid another lecture from Sesshomaru on hygiene.
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru cringed his nose distastefully then proceeded to reach into his jacket for another sheet of paper as he placed the sheet with the measurements in its place. He brought the paper close to his eyes in order to read it.
 
 
 
 
 
“It appears that…” Sesshomaru trailed off to take time to actually read the paper. “you have to…meet Kagome for dinner.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“When?” Inuyasha gestured to keep going, annoyed at his brother's love for bothering him.
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru looked over the paper again then glanced at his watch with a small laugh, uncharacteristic for him.
 
 
 
 
 
“Five minutes ago.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That was all it took for Inuyasha to run out of Sesshomaru's home…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha arrived at the restaurant named creatively *Oishii twenty minutes later. He had to run to get there as fast he could which left him out of breath and his car at Sesshomaru's house. With the traffic at 5:30, it was quicker for him just to run. Being demon, if only half, had its advantages.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha walked through the doors and up to the podium where he was met by a teenaged hostess.
 
 
 
 
 
“Hello, Sir.” She greeted with a large, and fake, smile on her face. “How may I help you?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Uh…I'm meeting someone here. Is there a `Takahashi' here?” Inuyasha heeled bounced up and down repeatedly, very anxious.
 
 
 
 
 
The hostess was quiet as she scanned the paper methodically.
 
 
 
 
 
She looked up and unnaturally glad voice said. “Nope.”
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha cracked his knuckles and glanced around the diner worriedly. “Is there a `Higurashi' on the list?”
 
 
 
 
 
Without looking back down to the list, she shook her head.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Shit!” Inuyasha cursed loudly, striking the podium. Seeing the pissed off faces of mothers, now covering their child's ears, he added. “Sorry.”
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon looked around the restaurant one more time before exiting Oishii. Once outside he dug his claw into his pocket trying to grasp his cell phone. He was able to get the appliance and open it. Speed dial `2' had him calling Kagome in no time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It looked odd when Inuyasha was using the phone because of his unique dog ears. The mouth of the phone was where it should be but the top of it was where ears would be if he was human. He had to use his acute hearing while on the phone to hear who he was talking to which had his ears twitching nonstop when talking.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Come on, Kagome, pick up…and please don't be mad at me. Inuyasha mused as the ringing continued.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Hello?” Finally came from the other end of the phone.
 
 
 
 
 
“Hello, Kagome.” Inuyasha greeted while starting down the street in the direction of his current apartment.
 
 
 
 
 
“Oh, hey, Inuyasha.” Kagome repeated, she tried to cover a giggle and Inuyasha could have sworn he heard her say `shut up' to someone near her.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“I'm outside Oishii.” The half-demon started, afraid she was about to let him hear it for standing her up.
 
 
 
 
 
“Oh…” Kagome spoke like a child being punished. “sorry Inuyasha.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Sorry?” Inuyasha said, sounding like a parrot.
 
 
 
 
 
“I'm so sorry I forgot to meet you for dinner.” Kagome's confession both relieved and pained Inuyasha. “You must have been waiting for half an hour.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon let out a sigh or relief. He took a second before answering trying his best to come up with a comment that won't get him chewed out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Just as well.” Inuyasha mumbled half-heartedly into the cell phone. “I was held up getting my measurements. Sesshomaru took so goddamn long!”\
 
 
 
 
 
 
“That's good to hear. I'll meet you back at the apartment.” Kagome replied almost instantly, oblivious to what he said.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Okay, love ya.” Inuyasha said but Kagome had hung up already. He took his phone from his cheek and looked at it as though it would get his fiancé back on the phone.
 
 
 
 
 
“I wonder where she is?” The half-demon thought out loud.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha dropped the appliance into his pocket and picked up his pace back to his home. His amber eyes were focused on his feet beneath him as he walked, not needing to look up because of his nose.
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha passed many more demons than he usual did on his route. The demons all had disguise spells on or they looked human as to not attract attention but other demons could instantly smell their blood.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha was obviously a half-demon. His father had been a demon whereas his mother was the human parent. Every person nowadays had learn to tolerate demons but are still not fond of them. There weren't many others half-demons like Inuyasha. Mostly because are born mutilated, looking like a cross between say the moth in a moth demon and a human. Those children were instantly killed as infants but if the demon parent's blood is of strong descent then the child is only born with enough distortion to be recognized out of a crowd.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon laughed and aimed tilted his head up to look at the sky as he walked. Even people tolerated demons they still despise half-demons. Inuyasha had really found a jewel in Kagome. Not literally.
 
 
 
 

Kagome had been the only person in his life, beside his immediate family, that didn't instantly judge him because his appearance and blood. Then again, Sesshomaru didn't like him that much. These two brought the term `sibling rivalry' to a whole new level.
 
 
 
 
 
One-armed bastard. Inuyasha inwardly laughed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
His luck was with him today as he got back to his apartment in record time. It must been his lucky week…
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha stepped into apartment complex; with a nod to the girl behind the guest services desk he was in the elevator. Inuyasha pushed the button labeled `13' which was soon lighted button and held in his breath as the elevator began to rise.
 
 
 
 
 
Sensitive smell was not a good mix with a high-rise. The scents of multiple people cooking multiple different meals attacked his nose every time he went up to his home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
A ding signaled he reached his floor and the doors opened slowly enough to scare a claustrophobic. God, this place sucks.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha turned the corner to get to his room located right be the emergency stairs. Safety first, right?
 
 
 
 
He found his keys and fought valiantly with the key to turn in the doorknob. Ha, got it! The half-demon celebrated inwardly as the door opened with the usual creeeeeeeeeek
 
 
 
 
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha called out. No answer. “Kagome?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon took in the scent of thee apartment and was left disappointed as he could none of Kagome's smell besides old perfume.
 
 
 
 
 
Yuck. He cringed mentally as he thought of the perfume. If there wasn't anything that stung at his nose…it was perfume. He had been able to get Kagome to stop using the stuff but couldn't get her to throw the crap away.
 
 
 
 
The door shut behind him starting the echoing noise of a creeeeeeeeeek.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon walked into the kitchen where a note was attached to the refrigerator with a magnet. It was from Kagome.
 
 
 
 
`Hey Inuyasha,
 
 
I'm at the shrine if you get back home before me.
 
 
-Kagome'
 
 
 
 
 
“The shrine?” Inuyasha said to himself as he read the note again. Why didn't she tell him she was going to visit her mother?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Duh, I got up before her. Inuyasha reasoned, slapping his forward…getting a note stuck to him.
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon grunted as he got the note of his head and threw it away. He worked his way to the phone on the wall…the same phone that wasn't cordless. Inuyasha got the phone off its base and turned it to see the huge numbers on the back designed for old people who needed large print.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha recited the number for Kagome's mother's as he dialed it. Once again, the half-demon had a phone in an awkward position in an attempt to use it. It rung a couple of times before it was answered.
 
 
 
 
 
“Hello?” Came a teenaged boy's voice from the other end of the receiver.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Hey, squirt.” Inuyasha joked as he knew he was about to be answered with much enthusiasm.
 
 
 
 
 
“Inuyasha!” Instantly was screeched. “Inuyasha, is that you?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Yeah, it's me, Souta.” He acknowledged, not interested in pursuing a conversation with the boy who idolized him. “Is Kagome still there?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Still here?” Souta repeated puzzled. “Sis wasn't here at all today.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“What?” The half-demon asked. Why did Kagome lie to him? Why did she need to lie to him? “Are you sure?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Yep.”
 
 
 
 
 
“Thanks anyway.” The half-demon hung up even though he heard Souta try to say something.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha planted the phone back on the wall and proceeded to the living room. The half-demon walked to his chair and seated himself. He let out a stressed breath then clicked on the TV. A newscaster with an obvious wig appeared on the screen.
 
 
 
 
Wonder what's up with Kagome? Inuyasha thought concernedly.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha watch the news waiting for Kagome but soon gave in to sleep's hold before Kagome got home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The emergency broadcast signal that was scheduled for its mandatory daily test woke the sleeping half-demon.
 
 
 
 
 
“What time is it?” He mumbled, half-asleep.
 
 
 
 

Inuyasha looked to the box atop his TV which told the time of 3:43 a.m. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes before double-checking the device.
 
 
 
 
 
“I'm going back to sleep.” Inuyasha stated with unneeded adamancy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon stumbled his way down the halfway connecting the whole apartment together. With a sudden idea striking him, he took a sniff of the air.
 
 
 
 
 
No Kagome…
 
 
 
 
 
“Shit, where's Kagome?”
 
 
 
 
 
She must be under the wives tale of seeing the bride before the wedding is bad luck but couldn't she at least sleep here? Inuyasha deduced even though half-conscious.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally able to make it to the bed, just big enough to fit two people, and crawled into under the covers.
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha quickly was met with sleep again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Today's the day.” Inuyasha muttered to himself over and over as he buttoned up his shirt.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon bounced on his heels while trying to put on his tuxedo. Inuyasha couldn't really afford anything extremely fancy so he was stuck with a basic tux. The price of Kagome's dress didn't really help anything…
 
 
 
 
 
Happy thoughts…this is best of my life…
 
 
 
 
 

A knock on the door arouse Inuyasha from his thoughts.
 
 
 
 
 
“Who's there?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“It's your father, damn it! Now get your lazy ass out here!” A sturdy voice bellowed from the other side of the door.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Hold on.” The half-demon said as he walked to the door to open it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Opening the door turned out to not be a good decision as his father immediately with a rolled up newspaper. Haha…cliché.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Shit, what was that for!” Inuyasha barked viscously at the man in the doorway.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha's father, InuTaisho, was standing there. He had on a tux as well but it was much fancier than his son's. The demon's face had magenta stripes going across it under his amber eyes. InuTaisho's long silver hair was pulled into a ponytail going behind his head trailing down to right above his waist.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“That was telling me the wrong address for the damn church!” InuTaisho reprimanded piercingly. “All the flowers are at the wrong fucking church!”
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha covered his eyes from the loud noise and to protect himself. InuTaisho only cursed when he was upset, and when he cursed as much as he just did…he must be thoroughly pissed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Are you serious?” Inuyasha gaped, mouth hanging, the full effect of his father's statement hitting him.
 
 
 
 
 
“No, I'm joking. Of course I'm serious!” His father barked, hitting him with the newspaper again.
 
 
 
 
 
“I deserved that…”
 
 
 
 
InuTaisho didn't argue but his posture relaxed slightly. He put a hand on his son's shoulder comfortingly.
 
 
 
 
 
“Inuyasha, I'm sorry. I know this is your big day and I just wanted it to be perfect.” InuTaisho apologized, ashamed.
 
 
 
 
 
“That sounds like something I expected from Mom.” Inuyasha joked, trying to lightened the mood.
 
 
 
 
 
“I know.” He responded, withdrawing his hand. “God, I'm getting old.” Inuyasha laughed a little at his father's comment. Well, a few centuries is quite a long time…
 
 
 
 
 
“Finish getting dressed and I'll meet you downstairs.”
 
 
 
 
 
“Right.”
 
 
 
 
 
InuTaisho left the room but not before dropping the newspaper to the floor unceremoniously.
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon groaned as he picked up the paper from the floor. The headlines read of the newly elected president and how he was expected to lead the country to a new age of prosperity.
 
 
 
 
“Yeah right…” Inuyasha mumbled at the paper. He skimmed the front page for interesting stories when something caught his eye.
 
 
 
 
Son of Local Business Typhoon is to be Married Today
 
 
 
 
Oh, did I forget to mention: Inuyasha's father is s business typhoon and obviously very, very loaded.
 
 
 
 
 
“I guess that's why he had the paper with him.” Inuyasha looked at the headline again making sure that there wasn't a further story beside the lone sentence. “Then again, he may have just wanted to beat me with it.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha picked up his coat and slung it over his shoulder. The half-demon scanned the room in case he was forgetting anything. He shrugged not noticing anything so he left.
 
 
 
 
 
Too bad he didn't see his cell phone on the other side of his bed…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The old woman behind the piano played an upbeat, but old, song to get everyone feeling good.
 
 
 
 
“It's packed in here…” Inuyasha noticed the lacked of space in the rows of benches inside the church.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Now don't worry, my friend, they're not all looking at you and judging your every movement like you were the groom at a wedding…wait…that's exactly what's going on here.” Laughed the man behind Inuyasha.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Thanks, Miroku.” Inuyasha snapped, not bothering to turn around.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“That's the half-demon I know and are acquainted with.” Continued Miroku. “Oh, and thanks for naming me best man, Inuyasha.”
 
 
 
 
 
Yeah, you try to get Dad's or Sesshomaru's ass up here to be best man, perv. Inuyasha thought, quickly becoming amused.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The half-demon smiled and began looking over the church again. On the bride's side he saw Mrs. Higurashi and Souta on the first row. However, Kagome's grandfather sat a row behind them looking very suspicious. Inuyasha's smile widened when he saw the codger messing around with scrolls.
 
 
 
 
 
 
On the groom's side Inuyasha recognized nearly everyone. Noticeably was Sesshomaru sitting near the back, not wanting to be seen, but Inuyasha could see him clearly…with a young woman he didn't recognize by his side.
 
 
 
 
Who's that? Inuyasha wondered.
 
 
 
 
Besides Sesshomaru, the half-demon saw his mother as close as she was able to get with a space next to her reserved for InuTaisho, who had yet to arrive.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha's, and the whole room's, attention was caught when the tune of `Here Comes The Bride' began to resonate through the room.
 
 
 
 
 
The doors of the church opened slowly to begin the unnecessary suspense. Kagome soon entered.
 
 
 
 
 
The soft sobs of people in the crowd began to overcome the softening sound of the piano.
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome sluggishly walked up to the alter seemingly timid of something. She climbed the three steps to be at equal level with Inuyasha. The half-demon got a glimpse of her face and was surprised when she looked distraught.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha convinced himself she was just nervous about getting married. After all, this wasn't just any commitment.
 
 
 
 
 
The wedding continued as the priest began the mandatory speech straight from book. His monotone had many people in the church sleeping…mainly Souta.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha kept sneaking peaks at Kagome, who didn't appear to be getting any happier. Quite the contrary, actually, she looked more and more tense.
 
 
 
 
 
“If any has objections to this union…speak now or forever hold your peace…”
 
 
 
 
 
As if on cue, the doors, which had been closed, suddenly were rammed opened. A man appeared in the doorway. He had just simple street clothes on…the situation would have just been if he was just some rude person late for the wedding…that's definitely wasn't the case here…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“I do!” He declared loudly, pointing a finger accusingly at the alter. The man gave off the scent of a demon.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Koga!” Kagome shouted happily running toward the man.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The crowd could only watch in bewildered silence as Kagome embraced the man and kissed him passionately.
 
 
 
 
 
Horror struck Inuyasha as he watched the soap opera happening in front of him.
 
 
 
 
 
This can't be happening…
 
 
 
 
 
The man picked Kagome up bridal style and carried her out of the church.
 
 
 
 
 
The rays of the sun pierced the stain glass, shining colors into the crowd. The beautiful sight was overlooked as the scenario that had just occurred still mystified the audience.
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha fell to his knees and tears began to run down his cheeks as the reality of it all hit him hard.
 
 
 
 
 
 
He had been dumped…left at the alter.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I know the first chapter isn't the easiest to read but if I ever get around to writing this story it will become I/K.
 
Reviews make me happy!