InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Hanyou ❯ After the wish ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
 
She couldn't help that her mind began to wander in the middle of history. Watching the trees sway outside the classroom window seemed so much more important; he'd sat in those trees waiting for her to finish her classes countless times. She could almost see him perched on one of the higher branches, keeping an eye on her as she sat through another boring lecture. No matter how often she yelled at him to stay back at the shrine, he always ended up in a tree in the schoolyard, watching her. Only half-heartedly listening to the lecture of local Japanese history, Higurashi Kagome heard three words that jolted her out of the daydream she was having about a dog-eared hanyou and forced her to focus on what her teacher was telling the class.
 
 
`Shikon no tama'
 
 
The phrase caught her off guard, left her wondering just what anyone would know about the jewel besides the lame stories her Grandfather had told her growing up. Reaching up to finger the orb around her neck, the calming sensation it seemed to emit flowed through her fingers and into her body. She looked up at the teacher only to find his eyes on her.
 
 
"Tomorrow we will learn about the Shikon no tama. It's a legend that, for the most part, is not very well known. They say that the jewel could give the holder great power and even grant a wish. If the jewel fell into the wrong hands, it would be tainted and strengthen the power of the bearer. The story starts with a miko who was given the responsibility to watch over it, maintaining its purity and keeping the jewel safe."
 
 
Kagome zoned out, fingering the complete jewel around her neck, not wanting to listen to the last of the story. She had lived the tale; the wish had been made and the quest was now over. It had barely been two days since she had returned to the present era. The heartache and pain she held still fresh in her mind. She reminded herself to skip school yet again tomorrow: hearing about Kikyou and Inuyasha would be too painful. The undeniable stinging began to well in her eyes for the seventeenth time that day; she willed the painful tears away. The ring of the classroom bell tore through her thoughts, her sign to exit the class as quick as she could before she broke down in public. "Higurashi? Would you please talk to me before leaving?" The sensei's voice interrupted her quick flight for the door.
 
 
She froze mid-stride at his words, "Yes, sensei?" She watched as the rest of the classroom filed out of the door, everyone as anxious to get home as she was. Within seconds she found that she was the only student remaining.
 
 
"I wanted to ask you a few questions before you left. I notice you have the complete jewel with you right now. When did you finish the quest?"
 
 
"Um…" Kagome was rendered speechless, still in shock about the fact that he might know who she really was. She never imagined the journey she had been on could have been passed down; her grandfather would have said something about it. He always seemed to think he knew so much about the jewel. He had never mentioned anything about things she had done while she was there.
 
 
Sensei Hikotoki gave her a gentle smile before explaining himself. "I am one of the foremost experts on the Shikon jewel from around these parts, the story of the Shikon jewel passed down from my great-great-great-great-great grandparents, the monk and demon slayer who journeyed with the hanyou."
 
 
Miroku and Sango? Her teacher was a descendent of Miroku and Sango? How could that be? She stared at her hands in confusion before looking up at the teacher in bewilderment. "How…does anyone know?"
 
 
"Only those who have actually read both books that the monk left behind know about the girl from the future." He turned and began erasing chalk from the blackboard before adding. "The number of people who have been given access to the books is very small. It was important to the author that those who came after to pass down the legend left out the girl from the future, for her safety. So have you finished your quest?"
 
 
She sighed, miserably, "Two days ago." She touched the completed jewel yet again, pain flowing through her as she thought about all she had lost in that short time.
 
 
"I am sorry for your loss."
 
 
Kagome nodded, the slight shine of tears in her eyes. "Thank you."
 
 
"You know, there is another legend that includes all of you in it."
 
 
"What?"
 
 
"It is all in the books my ancestor left behind. They have been located at your shrine for sometime now." He gave her a gentle smile before continuing. "I hope you don't mind, I always include the `mysterious' miko named Kagome in my lectures. I just leave out the fact that the girl came from the future." She watched as her teacher gathered his books and walked out of the classroom.
 
 
`Another legend?'
 
 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<& lt;<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<
 
 
The walk home had Kagome thinking about the final battle with Naraku, the injuries still fresh on her body and in her mind. In the end, everyone's help was essential to defeat the bastard. Kagome whole heartedly believed that if one person hadn't been there, they would have never been able to overcome him.
 
 
Everyone worked together as they put their differences and petty arguments aside in order to defeat a heinous foe---it had been an amazing experience. Two brothers who couldn't get along in normal circumstances, fought alongside each other as they slowly advanced toward their target. She hadn't been able to keep her eyes off the two: their techniques so different, yet both so effective, their silver hair mesmerized her as they worked.
 
 
Kouga worked with Miroku and Sango to remove the thousands of lesser youkai that stood in front of the brothers, obstructing their path to Naraku. While both Kouga and Miroku were determined in their battles, it was Sango who ended up doing the most damage to their enemies. Kohaku had been fighting alongside the trio until Naraku had successfully gotten some of his youkai to remove the life-sustaining shard from his back, killing him.
 
 
Kagome had helped Sango carry the boy to safety, a small alcove that Kagome was protecting from danger. Within the confines were a young human and youkai that she had been determined to keep from getting into harm's way. After they added the young taiyija to the pair they were hiding, Sango quickly returned to the battle, determination lighting her gaze as she continued clearing youkai from their path.
 
 
Turning back to watch her companions, Kagome found herself face to face with her incarnation. Sparing her a momentary glance, Kikyou continued on toward the heart of the battle, following behind the retreating taiyija. Kagome watched as the undead miko strode past her companions toward her former love and his brother, storming forward with a purpose in her steps. As she reached the front of the battle lines, she drew her bow and fired two arrows in rapid succession toward their enemy.
 
 
Naraku immediately noticed the newcomer, his rage toward the undead miko diverting all his attention to her as her holy arrows failed to damage the hanyou. Kagome could only watch as Naraku fought back, his tentacles shooting out, intent on damaging the priestess. Clenching her eyes closed, Kagome refused to watch what she knew would happen next. Every ounce in her being knew that Inuyasha would take the hit for Kikyou, he would do anything to protect her, the one he loved.
 
 
No matter how much it hurt, Kagome to always come second in his heart; his loyalty had always been one of the main reasons she loved him.
 
 
“Oi, wench.”
 
 
Surprised, Kagome opened her eyes to find herself staring at the dog-eared hanyou who had stolen her heart long ago. Relief rolled through her as she assessed whatever damage Naraku had inflicted as he saved Kikyou. The damage was minimal. Cradled in his arms was Kikyou, the emotions in his eyes as he laid the priestess at her feet proved what she suspected. Guilt, hurt, fear, and anger; Inuyasha hadn't made it in time, Kikyou had taken most of the impact from the attack.
 
 
“Keep her outta there. Naraku just wants to kill her.”
 
 
Without waiting for her agreement, he turned and headed back to where Sesshoumaru was fighting, leaving her alone with Kikyou. Kagome watched as the miasma slowly ate the miko's makeshift body. Kneeling down, Kagome placed her hands over the gashes of the priestess in effort to heal her.
 
 
“That didn't work last time.”
 
 
Heaving a sigh of frustration, Kagome looked down at the injured priestess. “I have to do something. I can't just let you die.” Pushing her hands into the miasma, Kagome attempted to purify the wound. Within seconds, Kagome felt the blackness surround her as her energy entered the other miko. Unlike the time before, the blackness only lasted a moment as Kikyou knocked her hands away.
 
 
“I am stronger than that. I will not die until Naraku is defeated.” Kikyou slowly stumbled to her feet, still injured by the miasma filled wounds. “Fate has brought us here, to this moment. My future lies in death. I was naïve to assume that only I could defeat Naraku. I was unaware of your true destiny, the truth of who you are. We are the same, brought here against our will to fulfill our fate.”
 
 
“Our fate?”
 
 
“Draw your bow, miko.”
 
 
The gentle command caught her off guard; she could only react by picking up the bow from where it lay forgotten on the ground. Strapping the quiver on her back, she took a moment to check on her charges hidden in the alcove away from the danger of the battlefield, all were safe. “He told me to stay out of the way. He doesn't want to risk losing us, Kikyou. We can't just go down there. He put me here to make sure I got any stray youkai that went after them.” She turned to indicate the three children in the alcove behind them.
 
 
Kikyou spared them a momentary glance before turning back to Kagome. “You care for them, these friends of yours?”
 
 
“Of course I do!” Kagome growled, having trouble keeping pace with the injured miko in front of her. “They mean as much to me as my own family.”
 
 
“If you don't fight, your friends can't win. If they don't win, they will perish. Do you want to cause their deaths, miko?”
 
 
Gripping the bow in her hand just a little tighter, Kagome straightened her back and rushed to catch up with her incarnation. “What do you mean? Why do I need to fight?”
 
 
Kikyou stopped on the outskirt of the battle, drawing her bow as she aimed. “It is your destiny.”
 
 
Kagome stood, dumbfounded, watching Kikyou wait for an opening to fire. Not knowing if she should believe the older woman's words or not, Kagome did the only thing she could do: she drew up her bow and aimed at Naraku. The nagging voice in the back of her head whispered, `He's gonna rake you over the coals for not listening to him, Kagome.'
 
 
`What if Kikyou is right? I can't just stay back and watch Naraku kill my friends.'
 
 
`Not only will he be mad for putting yourself in danger, you brought Kikyou with you.'
 
 
`She dragged me here! Besides--' her internal argument was interrupted as she watched a tentacle shoot out in Inuyasha's path, setting to strike him in the center of his chest. Her heart skipped a beat as her throat choked her in fear, “No…” she whispered, “No!” She released the arrow, finding a small chance to hit Naraku but hoping it was enough to save Inuyasha.
 
 
A voice echoed in her ear: Kikyou's. The other miko had seen the slight opportunity to strike Naraku and fired her arrow as well. The two arrows lit the cave with their pink and blue miko aura's, bathing everyone in their violet light as they combined together to form one.
 
 
Turning her attention to the dog-eared hanyou, she watched as he turned, dodging the attack from Naraku. Both brothers took the opportunity to strike their enemy. A burst of violet light erupted as all four attacks connected with Naraku at the same time, resulting in a `crack' that reverberated through the cave.
 
 
When she finally recovered from the blinding light, Kagome noticed one thing: there was nothing left of `Naraku'. All that remained of the insidious hanyou were the thousands of youkai that he had absorbed to create himself. With the help of Miroku's quickly closing kazanna and a few `Kaze no Kizu' from Inuyasha, the remains of the hanyou they had been fighting against for the past year were gone.
 
 
No one moved for a minute, in shock over what they had all just witnessed, Naraku was gone, and with him, Miroku's kazaana. First to move was Inuyasha, irritation flitting through his gaze as he turned to face Kagome. The look of annoyance he gave her . . . she had seen it before. He tended to get that look on his face right before he laid into her about something she had---or hadn't done.
 
 
Bracing herself for the imminent outburst, Kagome was surprised when his face suddenly fell as he looked away from her. “Get the jewel, Kagome.” He said quietly as he walked toward Kikyou. The last of her energy had been used to fire her final arrow. Her shini-dama-chuu couldn't reach her here as the remainder of Naraku's miasma was slowly causing her deterioration.
 
 
As much as she tried to prevent it, a lump swelled in her throat watching Inuyasha go to the woman he loved. She knew she was jealous; she always would be when it came to the two of them. `He's been with me the last year, but he goes running to her right away. He probably wants me to finish the jewel to save her.'
 
 
Unable to handle the scene in front of her, Kagome turned her attention to completing the jewel. Walking over to the charred remains of Naraku, it didn't take long to find the small pink jewel amidst the rubble. Unsure of what to do, she took a moment to watch the rest of her companions as she tried to keep her eyes from wondering to Inuyasha and Kikyou.
 
 
Sango stood next to Rin, holding Kohaku as they begged Sesshoumaru to save his life. The young ward of Sesshoumaru had more sway over her keeper than anyone had imagined. It took only one swipe of Tenseiga and the boy found himself wrapped in his sister's arms again. The emotional reunion between the siblings brought tears to Kagome's eyes.
 
 
Nearby the monk stood staring at where his kazaana had been just moments before. The kitsune sitting on his shoulder appeared to be talking his ear off as they both pointed out the different lines in Miroku's hand. For all the palm readings the monk had done, he had never seen his own in this way.
 
 
The jewel was nearly complete, there was only two shards left to obtain. The last two shards belonged to Kouga, the possessive wolf-demon who came to stand next to her. "I suppose you'll need these now?" He smirked, indicating the shards imbedded within his legs.
 
 
"It's time. Never again will someone be able to use this jewel for harm. Not if I have anything to do with it." She grinned; removing the shard from her friend's left leg. As she placed the shard with its base, it slowly absorbed the new shard. "Thank you for all your help. We couldn't have done this without you, Kouga."
 
 
He grinned in response, "I'll be coming for you soon."
 
 
The words surprised her slightly, causing her to pause in the removal of the second shard. "Kouga, the only reason you wanted me was because I could see the shards. There are no more to find. There's a lot you don't know about me. I don't belong with you." With those words, she had the final shard of the Shikon jewel in her hands.
 
 
"It's that mutt-face isn't it?" He growled gruffly. "He's always coming between us."
 
 
Exasperated, Kagome placed the final shard together with the previous ones. "Kouga, there is no-" She paused, a strange sensation coming over her. Bringing her hands to block it, a bright light hit her in the chest. Shocked, she could only watch as her hands suddenly began to fade, turning transparent. Panicked, she cried out for Inuyasha, but not a sound came from her mouth. Slowly she watched the panicked look on each of her friends faces as they faded from her sight.
 
 
She found herself in the bottom of the bone eaters well, in Modern Tokyo. She instinctively knew that the well closed behind her, but she had to try it anyway. Climbing out of the well before jumping back in, the impact as she hit the compacted ground of the well knocked the wind out of her. `One second I am sitting talking to Kouga, the next I am sitting back home in the well, what happened?'
 
 
`I wish to be with Inuyasha, please let me see him again.' The jewel she had gripped in her hand flashed a bright pink before fading to an almost clear color. The wish made; the jewel was now useless. Climbing onto the lip of the well, she leapt into it again, hitting the dirt hard.
 
 
That evening had been the worst of her life.
 
 
She had never been angrier; the jewel had failed, leaving her without the hanyou she loved. Hysterical and heartbroken, she had not slept that first night and wished the jewel had been left with him. At least he might have brought Kikyou back to life, the one he really loved. She knew her incarnation had been dying while she disappeared.
 
 
`Another legend?' That couldn't be right. Her mother had given her a couple of books her first evening back, told her to read them. She had not been able to get past the first page without crying. It was the story of Kikyou and Inuyasha and brought back too much pain. `Another legend?' Maybe she should look through the books a little closer.