InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Letters ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Letters
By: Alexandra Lenria
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha
A/N: I'm so excited with all the reviews I got with my first chapter! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!
 
Chapter 2
 
“I hope I find you before these letters do.”
 
Kagome's eyebrows came together in her confusion. What did this last line mean? She reached for the envelope on her bed and double checked for any remaining pages, but it was empty. The words rang through her head. Kagome felt a dread surge through her as she reread the single line several times. If he had written these letters, as well as sent these letters, that meant that he was here. He was in Tokyo! He had been no more than a hundred feet from her just earlier today!
 
...But why did he just leave these letters? Surely he would have had the thought to greet her. He would have seen her, for goodness sake, if he had left the letters at the top of the steps! And why wasn't there a return address on the envelope?
 
A thought crept into her mind... what if Inuyasha didn't want to see her?
 
“No. That can't be it.” she reassured herself out loud. But still, why else would these letters be here and not him? Maybe something happened... what if he had changed? After all, she was just the love of his life 500 some years ago. He probably moved on even more so than she had in these past ten years. He probably found some trophy wife someplace, had kids, grandkids, great grandkids... Maybe these were letters trying to hint to her to give up, that he's not going for her.
 
A knock at the door startled Kagome out of her thoughts. The door opened and Kagome's mom appeared, her hair graying at the roots and wrinkles just beginning to show on her once perfect face.
 
“Kagome,” her mom looked worried, “Are you alright?”
 
Kagome suddenly felt the wetness on her face, which had gone unnoticed before, and the loud noise which croaked from her through. She had been sobbing and didn't even realize it. Quickly, she brushed away the warm liquid from her eyes.
 
“Y-yes...” she said as she shakily gathered the papers on her into a pile. “I'm fine.” Kagome sat still, looking down at the papers. She listened to her mom's presence behind her- she could tell she didn't believe her.
 
“Kagome...” the older woman said softly, coming into her room. “If this is about Inuyasha... or taking care of the shrine... or anything, you can talk to me about it you know.” Kagome listened as she heard the soft creaking of someone sitting on her bed.
 
Kagome took a deep breathe. Her mom didn't need to know about the letters. She turned around in her swivel chair and looked at mom. Her mom patted the empty space beside her on the bed. Kagome stood up and sat down and hugged her.
 
“Mom...” I don't think he's coming for me. “I miss him, I miss him so much.” she said into her mom's shoulder. She had stopped crying. Kagome felt her mom pat her back soothingly- like she had years ago when Kagome finally broke down. At first Kagome believed that she wouldn't have to wait long for Inuyasha to find her, but after a few months everything just sort of crashed. Kagome's emotions were out of whack for months afterwards.
 
“Kagome, I think its time to move on.” her mom said softly. Kagome had moved on. She shoved Inuyasha into the back of her mind, only to be remembered as if it were all a dream. She began to forget his voice. She began to forget how strange it felt to run her fingers through his ratty, untamed hair- the feel of his lips against her own... She was going to be okay, and move on.
 
But those letters brought everything back. She thought of Inuyasha sitting down and taking a piece of paper and awkwardly writing down these letters, telling her that he loved her and missed her. What if the true reason these letters were written was to show how naive they both were? Was it so childish to believe that after five hundred years he would still want to be with her?
 
“I thought I did, Mom.” she said, pulling away from her. “I think I just needed to vent a bit... I'll be fine.” Hopefully.
 
“Well, honey, if you ever need someone to talk to you can always come to me.” Sure she could, and she knew that, but theres no reason to get her mom all worked up about the letters. She'd tell her about it after she found out herself just what was going on.
 
 
- - - - -
 
It was exactly a week later when Kagome received a larger, similarly worn package. Again, there was nothing inscribed on it except for her name and Higurashi Shrine. No return address. She was about to start down the tall stairs to go to the store when she saw the thin rectangular box resting, where she guessed, the last envelope had been placed.
 
Her heart raced as she bent down to grab the small box, hoping that its contents would help answer the questions the last batch of letters purposed. She picked it up causing its contents shifted quietly. There was something in it this time.
 
Kagome looked around to see if there was anyone there- no such luck. She quickly placed the package into her bag and started down the stairs once again. If she went back home now, her mom and grandpa would wonder why she didn't go to the store.
 
As the stepped onto the concrete landing she glanced around to see if there were any notable people walking away from her area, but there were just the usual people she saw as she walked to the store. These people didn't leave the package.
 
Kagome sighed. This past week was exhausting. Her brother had just left yesterday to travel abroad once again, busy with business, and her mom had gone ill. Kagome had gotten into the repetition of things before... Monday she swept the grounds, on Tuesday she dusted the statues, Wednesday she organized, Thursday she went to the store, and so on. Today happened to be Thursday, and she was going to the store to get groceries and medicine for her mom. That was another reason she could go up to her room and explore the contents of the box. Her mom had a fever and they didn't have any medicine for her.
 
Kagome stopped on the corner or a busy street and waited for the light to change. It seemed strange when she thought about the letters. She didn't even know Inuyasha could write. He may have just learned to write so he could write the letters, or maybe even as a young child his mother taught him. He was royalty- well, in a way.
 
The light had changed while Kagome was still in her own thoughts. Suddenly, she found herself on the ground with the contents of her purse spilled out onto the ground. She looked up and saw an older man in a business suit rushing past her about to cross the street. Her anger flared.
 
“You jerk!” she shouted and she got up and glared at him- he continued across the street. She quickly knelt down to pick up her things, only to see a moment later another pair of larger hands ready to assist her. The hands held the package up to her, and she looked up to the face. It was another man in a business suit, only younger- and more attractive.
 
“Here, I don't think you want to forget this-” he turned the package to face him,”- Kagome Higurashi.” he handed it back to her and smiled. Kagome winced. He was gorgeous... and polite. 'No, no, no, Kagome.' She told herself. 'It won't work.' She took the package from him and stuffed it with her other belongings in her bag.
 
“Thank you so much.” she said with a smile as she stood up and dusted herself off.
“People can be really rude.” the man said, also rising. Kagome saw him glance at the Walk and Don't Walk sign. They missed their light. Kagome gasped.
 
“Oh, I'm sorry, I hope you're not in a hurry or anything.” she apologized. 'Great, just because I'm clumsy and make a fool of myself he has to be late.' He smiled at her again.
 
“No, I'll be fine.” Oh, good. Kagome stood beside him, and an awkward silence made the time it took for the light to change from the big red hand telling them to stay where they were to the green man running. “So, you run the Higurashi Shrine?” he said, looking out the corner of his eye down at her. She turned her head to look at him and nodded.
 
“Yeah, sort of. Its been in my family for generations. Unfortunately, I'm the only one who showed any promise of running it one day- so I'm kind of stuck doing it.” She looked back across the street, slightly embarrassed from talking so much about something a bit personal. The light changed and they started across the street.
 
“Well, you and me both.” Kagome looked at him with a Yeah, right. look. He put his hands up defensively and laughed. “I'm not saying I work at a shrine but my father pressured me into the job I have now.” They were on the other side of the street and on the sidewalk.
 
“Is that where you're headed now?” Kagome asked. The store she was going to was down the street from where she stood, he looked to be heading the other direction.
 
He nodded. “Do you think I could stop by the shrine sometime and say hello?” he asked. “Maybe you could give me some more history on it then.” Kagome blushed. He wanted to meet her again?
 
“S-sure...” she reached into her purse for a pen and scrap of paper to write down the address of the shrine. “I'm there everyday, stop by anytime.” she said quickly as she scribbled the address.
 
“Alright then, I'll have to do that.” the young man smiled and started to turn away from her, then remembered, “Oh, I'm Tatsuhiko Hayashi, by the way.” Kagome nodded and he turned away again. “It was nice meeting you, Kagome Higurashi.”
 
That was weird. That had never happened to her before. She stood there dumbfounded as she watched him go down the opposite street. He was so polite and kind... 'He isn't Inuyasha.' Her mind reminded her. She shook her head and reached into her purse to look at the box she received that morning. It wasn't a good idea to give that guy her address... There was still hope that Inuyasha was alive- those letters were proof. She wasn't ready to start a relationship yet. Before last week, maybe, but definitely not now. There was hope.
 
Right?
 
 
----To Be Continued