InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Letters ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Letters
By: Alexandra Lenria
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, or any characters from Inuyasha, it belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
A/N: Thanks for your reviews. I apologize for not updating, but I was at Girls State for a few days and didn't have access to a computer nor the time to write. This chapter is a little lengthy, and I hope it doesn't sound like I started to ramble. Its just that there is a lot of confusion in Kagome's mind and I wanted to get that point across. Also, I want to suggest to all you manga readers a book called Eternal Sabbath(ES) by the creator of Mars. It. is. Awesome.
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
Dear Kagome, with these papers I put a gift. Its something foreign. I got it at the trading post in Nagasaki. I thought of you the moment I saw it. Maybe its because the green on it looks like the color green you wore all the time. If you don't like it just...sell it or something. I never saw you wear any jewelry while you were with me but that was probably because we were wandering around so much.
 
I built a small house in the woods to live in- its out in the middle of nowhere. Its good because no one bothers me there. There aren't many demons left. I don't even know what happened to Shippou or Kouga or even Sesshomaru. All I know is that I'm a lucky one, even though I can't go out in public much now without people whispering. No one seems to remember the existence of demons. I guess as the demons themselves faded, so did the people's belief in them. Now they are mere folktales and scape goats.
 
Being apart of a folktale is a disadvantage. I can't use Tetsaiga anymore. The last time I used it was decades ago, and even then I got stares because it transformed. Awhile back I went to where Totousai lived and it was vacant. I don't know what happened to him. I wanted him to make the Tetsaiga so it wasn't so eye-catching, but as I said he wasn't there. So, instead I went to another guy who forged me a new sword. Of course it wasn't even a quarter good as Tetsaiga, but I can still fight half decently with it.
 
When I go into villages I have to wear a hat. No one likes anything different around here and I still get stared at when people see my hair. I hate going to the villages. I go maybe once every two months, if that much. Its just too noisy and the people too nosy. They won't let a guy have his peace.
I want you to know that I didn't forget about you and I love you. Don't forget. The years are still going by quicker and quicker. Love, Inuyasha.
 
Kagome sat silently in her bed ad she read the most recent letter. His writing had improved a lot since the last one she received. She wondered if he had been writing other things as well. She lifted up her wrist and a loose, round bracelet slid down her forearm. It was thin brassy metal, with small green-emerald jewels patterned around the edge, and a bigger green jewel in the center. It clasped open and closed with teeth that held it together. She wondered if it was expensive, and where Inuyasha would have gotten the money to pay for it- but it didn't really matter. She loved it. She made a mental note never to go a day without wearing it. If Inuyasha was going to come and find her, she would be wearing that bracelet. She smiled at the thought of Inuyasha buying a piece of jewelry. That would be a sight to see.
 
When Kagome read through the letter, her mind refused to recognize that he wasn't really there. No, he was just on a trip and writing to her from some place far away. He would be home any day now.
She shook her head at this thought. It wasn't good to think this way. Inuyasha sent her these letters somehow and he was in Japan now.
 
But there was one question that continued to bother her: Why wasn't he here?
 
 
- - - - -
 
 
The next day Kagome walked into her mother's darkened room with a small bowl of water and a damp clothe. It was the second day in a row that her mother had a fever, but just when Kagome started to really worry about her, the fever started to go down which was a relief. But she was still sick, so she sat in the chair that was beside the bed and put the damp clothe over her mom's head. She was still sleeping and didn't seem to notice the added pressure. Kagome sighed. There was so much going on right now, her head felt boggled. She took the clothe and dipped it again in the water and returned it to her mother's forehead before turning to leave the room. At least her mom was getting her rest.
 
Kagome stepped downstairs and went into the kitchen to make a quick lunch. She looked into the cabinet and saw a package of ramen and smiled. She never could look at a package of ramen without smiling at the thought of Inuyasha eating it. What had Inuyasha done without ramen up until the time it was in invented? When was ramen invented anyway?
 
She put a kettle full of water on the stove and decided while she waited she was going to wander around the shrine. She needed some fresh air to calm her. Maybe thats one thing she really needed: a vacation. She had been saving up the little money she received- maybe once her mom was well again she could take a break from working at the shrine and go off someplace, like Hokkaido. She had always wanted to go there, and she was always, well, “sick” when her classes went on field trips there.
 
The air was slightly brisk today so Kagome quickly went to her room and got a sweater before heading outside. The fresh, cold air was refreshing as it blew lightly against her. She sat down on a bench that was beside the Goshinboku and stared up at it's branches that were almost full of green leaves. It was the end of spring, and the tree had survived yet another winter and recovered as if it's original leaves had never fallen in the first place.
 
A noise from the left of her startled her out of her trance. Oh, someone was just coming up that stairs. It was a tall man wearing a black shirt under a matching black sweater and khaki pants she had never seen before, which she thought was strange because of the fact that almost no one came unless there was a festival or if they had been coming her for years.
 
As the man walked closer to her, she rose from her seat to welcome him to the Higurashi Shrine. “Welcome to-” she paused as her continued to near her. “the Higurashi Shrine.” She realized she had met this person before. It was the man that she met the day before- she had completely forgotten about him.
 
“Hello, Higurashi-san.” he said with a smile. Kagome fumbled with the end of her sleeves. She felt so silly. She had just met this man yesterday, had no idea what kind of guy he was, and had given out her address to him. He must think she was easy or something.
 
“I didn't expect you'd come visit the shrine so soon.” she said, forcing a smile. However, when he smiled back she couldn't help but think he was an honest guy.
 
“I actually have the day off today, so I decided to get out of the house and do something. I'm glad I did.” he stopped and looked around him- seemingly inspecting the place. “This is a very beautiful shrine.” he looked up at the tree Kagome was previously sitting under. “This tree is also very beautiful. How old do you think it is?”
 
Kagome ran a hand through her hair nervously. “I know for a fact that its over five-hundred years old.”
 
The man smiled as he looked up through the trees branches. Light was streaming through the leaves, giving it a surreal look. Kagome looked the guy over. His hair was different from yesterday- not gelled back, but styled so that it stood up in some places. His attire was also more casual. Well, he did have the day off after all. He turned to face her. Kagome immediately blushed. Oh God! I hope I wasn't gawking at him! And now I'm blushing? Jeeze, I meet a handsome man and all the sudden I'm like a high school girl, blushing when he just looks at me... I hardly even know him.
 
“S-so do you want a tour around the shrine?” Kagome said as she turned and started to walk past the large tree and further into the shrine grounds. What was she thinking, inviting him here? She wasn't even sure if she knew all the legends well enough to give him a tour. Where was Gramps when she needed him?
 
“Sure.” he said as he followed her. He seemed so confident as he followed her, so sure of what he was doing. It seemed like he had a good business job- the nice clothes he was wearing was proof enough- and that he had a lot going for him. Kagome worked on a shrine and had to make due with what little money she received. She nervous and jumpy- she wasn't sure why. A guy like him had never taken notice of her... and he wasn't Inuyasha.
 
He definitely wasn't Inuyasha.
 
Suddenly a high-pitched whistle blew. It was coming from Kagome's house. It startled her out of her thoughts when she suddenly remembered her water.
 
“Oh no! I forgot! I had water boiling!” Kagome immediately started walking over to her house, then remembered the man she was about to give a tour to. “Um, you can come in if you like. I'll make you some tea.” The man nodded in agreement.
 
“I can't believe I forgot about the water boiling.” Kagome said aloud with a sigh. I'm so air-headed. She shook her head. When she got to the door, she quickly slipped off her shoes, with the guy in tow behind her. She went into the kitchen where the source of the sound continued to whistle. She quickly turned the water off.
 
“You can just sit down at the table if you'd like. I'll fix you a cup of tea.” She said as she grabbed a tea kettle to poor the hot water and tea into and two cups. Kagome then went to sit down at the table across the from the man. “So much for giving you a tour... I'm sorry. I can be really forgetful sometimes. I was going to make some food and then wandered outside to get some fresh air... and well, then you showed up... I don't mean to say its a bad thing!” Kagome put up her hands, then immediately blushed.
 
The guy was actually laughing at her.“Ha ha ha, No, I'm sorry for interrupting your lunch. I should have come at a later time, not so close to noon. You don't have to defend yourself.” He settled down himself, and continued. “Its just a pot of water boiling, nothing to freak out about.”
 
Kagome nervously poured him a cup of tea. She'd never had a guy over in her kitchen, not since Inuyasha was here last so many years ago. “Yes, well, I'm still sorry that I had to interrupt your tour. Not that it'd be any good anyway- my grandfather usually gives the tours, but he's been out on a trip with some old friends of his.”
 
“I'd rather have you give me a tour, anyway.” He said with a smile as he brought the cup of tea to his mouth, but he seemed to forget that the tea was hot and jumped back when it burnt his tongue. Kagome quickly put her hand to her mouth to help stifle the laughter that threatened to come out. His face was priceless.
 
“The tea is hot you know- the water just got off the stove.” she said, with little laughs in between. The guy jokingly glared at her as he covered his own mouth with his hand and reached for a napkin off the table with the other. He had split some tea down his shirt.
 
“You two look like you're having fun.” an older woman's voice said from the kitchen's doorway. Kagome turned her face and saw her mom standing there smiling. “Who is this, Kagome?” she asked.
 
“Oh, Mom, this is...” Oh crap! I forget his name! “Uh...” She looked over at him nervously. How could she have forgotten his name?
 
“I'm Tatsuhiko Hayashi. I met Kagome yesterday on my way to work.” he said as he stood up from the table and reached out to shake Mrs. Higurashi's hand.
 
“Oh my, such manners!” she said as she held out her hand and shook his. “I'm Kagome's mother. She's met such a nice man.” her mother said as she winked in Kagome's direction.
 
“M-Mom!” she said with her eyes wide and a small blush forming on her cheeks. Just what was her mother thinking anyway? “He just came over to visit the shrine, when I forgot that I had water on the stove and came in here to turn it off. Okay? And what are you doing out of bed anyway? You're sick.” she said.
 
“I was actually feeling a lot better, so I decided to come downstairs and have something to eat. Then I found you two here...” she smiled at Tatsuhiko. “Well, I'm going to go out and see if I can find anything to eat for tonight. It was nice meeting you, Hayashi. I hope to see you around again.” she smiled and mouthed the words at Kagome “Behave yourself.” And Kagome glared at her as her mother left the room.
 
“She had a fever just this morning and now she's running off to the store.” Kagome sighed. “I hope she doesn't get sick again-she really needs her rest.” then she remembered she had forgotten his name, like the idiot she was. “Oh- I'm sorry I forgot your name... Its just that theres been a lot going on and...”
“No, its fine. I understand. You don't need to be so apologetic, I honestly don't mind.” he said, once again showing his pearly white teeth. He then bought his cup of tea back to his mouth, slowly tasting this time, and drank. Kagome smiled.
 
“What's so funny?” he said from behind his cup.
 
“Nothing.” she said, trying to force the smile down. She was acting like a child with a silly crush. She had to stop. It wasn't right.
They were both done with their tea. “Do you want to have that tour of the shrine now?” She asked as she set the cup of tea down. Tatsuhiko grinned. She never remembered meeting someone who smiled as much as he did.
 
“Honestly, Kagome, really just wanted to ask you something.” he said as he looked at her. She had a bad feeling about this. What was he going to ask her? What was she going to say? She hardly knew the guy.
 
“Yes?” she asked. He looked into her eyes, making her feel uneasy. There was a gorgeous guy across the the table from her that she just met yesterday, whom she knew nothing about and the only guy she'd ever brought home to meet her mother- well, besides Inuyasha.
 
“I really want to take you out to dinner sometime, so we can know each other more.” Kagome's face turned red. What? “I've never met a woman like you before, and I really want to get to know you.” This had to be a mistake. She was no different from the other women on the streets. And Inuyasha... Inuyasha was here! He was sending these letters to her, letting her know that he was coming for her- that he still loved her! She could not be seen with another guy, not if Inuyasha would see them together and think there was no hope.
 
“I-I'm sorry. I'm waiting for someone... someone who left me, to come back.” she said, looking down at her lap. She glanced up to see the guy across from her look away scratch the back of his head. He sighed.
 
He looked back at her. “What kind of guy are you waiting for anyway? What dumb ass would keep a beautiful girl like you waiting?” Kagome's cheeks burned. He didn't know what he was talking about. Inuyasha wasn't making her wait, he was just having a hard time finding her. She didn't know what the story was. But Tatsuhiko was right, in a way. Was it true that these letters were trying to tell her to move on, or was there a deeper meaning to them?
 
“I guess you're right...” she said in a mumble, then looked up to his face across from her. “I think I might go to dinner with you- but don't get any ideas! You're the first guy I've even thought about dating in years, so don't expect much, alright?”
 
Tatsuhiko's face immediately brightened. “Oh, this is great then. How about tomorrow evening? I'll pick you up around 7 o'clock and I'll drive you someplace nice. Is that good?”
 
Kagome thought about it for a moment. Did she really want to go out to dinner with this guy? What would happen to Inuyasha? She hadn't been out on a date, well, ever. Maybe this is what she needed. But the letters... She couldn't decide. The newest batch of letters didn't tell her anything she needed to know about where he was now, at this moment in time and why he wasn't here. She sighed. Everything was so confusing for her. But, why not do something fun while she waited for Inuyasha to come? What does one dinner mean anyway, its not like she going to marry the guy. Its just one date. Nothing more.
 
“Yes, that sounds fine.” she said reluctantly. What was she getting into? She'd just have to wait and see. But her mind continued to debate the consequeneses of going to dinner with this man, but above all it yelled: Inuyasha, please come back!
 
----To be Continued.