InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.


Life’s Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter 8

“I can’t believe you’re playing Juliet! And what’s worse… Sesshomaru is your Romeo!” Sango howled with laughter.

Miroku and Kagome snickered as Rin silently fumed.

“I begged the teacher to reconsider… or at least change who played Romeo. I can’t believe this! Fate is out to destroy me,” Rin grumbled as her friends’ laughter increased.

Her house came into view and Rin was actually glad to be rid of her ridiculing friends. She waved goodbye to the group, promising Miroku she’d drop by later to pick up her stuff. Upon entering the big house she was swept up in a motherly embrace by the cook.

“Oba, it’s so good to see you,” Rin said.

The crying woman let Rin down and wiped her face with her apron. “Oh, Rin! I knew something terrible would happen the night I left! I never should have gone. I’m so happy to see you’re all right now. You are all right, aren’t you? Oh deary me, I didn’t hurt you did I?”

Rin laughed and tried her best to comfort her. She reassured her that everything was fine and her stomach only hurt a little. Rin’s father walked in and glared at the cook, wondering why she wasn’t in the kitchen. The feisty woman hmphed and went back about her business. He then turned to Rin and scowled before turning to head back into his office.

“Wait! I’ve been chosen as the lead in the school play. I may or may not be here some nights because I have rehearsals after school,” Rin called after her father’s retreating back.

“Whatever,” he said before disappearing behind two solid oak doors.

Rin rolled her eyes and started up the stairs. As soon as she walked in she went over to her bed and flopped down, careful of her wounds, and snuggled into the soft comforter. She was about to drift off to sleep when the phone rang. Grumbling, she picked it up and pressed it to her face.

“Rin speaking, may I ask who is calling?” she answered politely.

“Hey stupid wench.”

Rin groaned and pinched the bridge of her nose. “What do you want, Inuyasha?” she asked.

“Well, since you and my stupid half-brother aren’t on speaking terms, I was forced to call. He says you have to come pick the project up, now. He wants the stupid thing out of his sight. Got it?”

“Yeah, whatever. I’ll be there in fifteen.” She dropped the phone on the receiver before she could hear his angry response and rolled out of bed. Rin walked to the intercom by her door and rang down to the butler.

“Yes, Miss Rin?”

“Hey B! I have to go to Sesshomaru’s house to pick something up. Can you drive me there?” she asked.

“It would be my pleasure, Miss Rin,” he replied before hanging up.

Rin smiled and took her time going down the stairs. When she walked out of the house and through the gardens she was surprised to find her favorite butler already waiting with the door open. Rin thanked him and slipped in to the car.

The ride down was pleasant. Rin asked how his night off had been and how her father treated him while she was recuperating. He replied without looking at her, his tone still that of a servant speaking to master. Rin tried in vain to break him of his habit. She knew he thought of her as family. The smile on Rin’s face vanished when the car pulled up to Sesshomaru’s house. She took a deep breath and opened the door after earning a reassuring nod from B.

Rin looked up at the mansion. It was beautifully designed. The three story house had several balconies on each floor with a curving driveway wrapped around a fountain surrounded by flowers. The intricate design carved into the front door was made less intimidating by the pots of flowers lining the walkway.

The flowers must have been Izayoi’s doing. Rin thought fondly. She hoped she would see the enthusiastic woman. She wanted to thank her again for the bathing suit. Unfortunately the flimsy thing hadn’t survived her little tumble with the vase. The strip of cloth running down the front was severed and hung pathetically against her thighs. The doctor tossed it in the garbage right after he cut it from her body. Rin glanced up, startled to find herself face-to-face with a very angry teenager.

“Bout time you showed up. It’s been twenty minutes. You said fifteen,” he snarled.

Rin rolled her eyes and pushed past Inuyasha. “Not now you idiot, I want to be in and out of here. No time for your stupid antics,” Rin said. She heard Inuyasha curse and smiled. Hurried footsteps caught her attention and she turned to see Izayoi sprint out of the hallway and leap at her.

The older woman squealed in delight and pulled Rin hard against her. Her arms wrapped firmly around Rin’s hips which were still extremely tender from her father’s well-placed kick.

“Oh Rin!” she cried.

Rin inhaled sharply as the woman’s grip tightened. She cried out and pulled away, bending over and wrapping her arms protectively over her stomach. Izayoi watched in horror as Rin nearly fell to the ground in pain.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

Rin struggled to breathe and straightened slightly. She plastered a smile on her face and looked at Izayoi.

“Oh nothing, just a little tender is all,” Rin replied.

“Tender from what?”

Before Rin had a chance to respond Izayoi lifted her shirt to inspect her midsection. Rin flinched at Izayoi’s gasp. She looked down and paled at the sight of her own blood. Despite the heavy layering of gauze blood had managed to seep through and completely drench the once snowy-white cloth.

“Rin! We have to get you to a hospital! Inuyasha, call for the driver right away!” Izayoi ordered in a frenzy.

“No! I’ve already been to the hospital. I just need some new bandages,” Rin said desperately.

Inuyasha walked around Rin to see what his mother was fussing about and stumbled back when he saw Rin’s stomach.

“What the heck happened? Did you get stabbed?” Inuyasha said, worry slipping out in his tone.

Rin grabbed the hem of her shirt and pulled it down roughly. “I just had a little tumble is all. It’s nothing to worry about.”

“Oh, so that’s why you were in the hospital for three days,” Inuyasha sneered.

Izayoi looked sternly at Rin and placed her balled up fists firmly against her hips. “You were in the hospital for three days?! Go to the living room right now while I go get the First-Aid kit,” she said while pulling Rin into a large room. Izayoi settled her against a pile of pillows and ordered Inuyasha not to leave until she returned.

The irritated half-demon was currently sitting by the fireplace and glaring angrily at the flames. Rin twiddled her thumbs as it got more awkward.

“So how’s the project coming with Kags?” she asked with a gleam in her eye.

“Fine,” he replied sharply.

“What are you all working on?”

“None of your business.”

“When do you think you’ll finish?”

“I don’t know.”

“She’s really pretty isn’t she?”

“Yeah, she’s beau-,” Inuyasha clipped his comment short and turned to glare at her. “You stupid wench, you set me up!” he yelled as his face turned red.

“It was so easy, too. I can’t believe you like Kags, a loser,” Rin said through peals of laughter.

Inuyasha scowled and crossed his arms. “She’s different from you. She isn’t all depressed and mopey. With you it’s always me, me, me. That’s probably why Sesshomaru hates you now. Kagome never thinks of herself,” Inuyasha snorted.

Rin’s eyes widened and she scowled, jumping up from her seat on the couch. “Keep your mouth shut. You don’t know anything about me!” Rin yelled.

Inuyasha scoffed and dodged the pillow sent his way. He looked at the offending object and turned to yell at Rin but another well-aimed pillow hit him in the face, effectively cutting off his tantrum. He picked it back up and chucked it at Rin, satisfied when he hit her. His gratification turned to panic when he realized where his pillow had hit.

Rin doubled over in pain when it collided with her stomach. He had put some of his demon strength behind his throw. Blood gushed from her wounds and made Inuyasha nauseous. She fell to her knees and panicked when she saw her blood dripping on the floor. She whimpered, forgetting about her pain and trying desperately to wipe the liquid off the expensive wood floors.

Inuyasha watched with confusion as she rubbed at the blood with her hands. His mother walked in and nearly fainted at the sight.

She must be in shock. Inuyasha thought. He walked over to her and grabbed her by the shoulders, shaking her gently to try and bring her out of her daze. Rin screamed in terror and shriveled away from his hands.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bleed on the floor. I’ll clean it up I’m sorry!” she screamed.

Inuyasha pulled away from her and stared, horrified as she continued to paw at the blood. Inutaisho stomped into the room to see what all the commotion was.

“What’s going on in here?” he asked. His gaze dropped to Rin and his eyes widened in alarm. He rushed over to her and tried to pull her away from the gruesome scene only to receive the same reaction as Inuyasha. Inutaisho finally gave up and lifted the girl effortlessly into his arms. She screamed and lashed out in an effort to free herself from his iron grip. Izayoi murmured sweetly into her ear and smoothed her hair which managed to calm Rin down.

When he was sure Rin was settled, Inutaisho called for Inuyasha to retrieve his older brother. He put her back on the couch and tore open the bottom half of her shirt. Inutaisho frowned at the red cloth and ripped through it. He heard Sesshomaru and glanced up to see his eldest son give Rin a once-over.

“Sesshomaru, come help me. Inuyasha, get some wet towels. Honey, keep doing what you’re doing,” Inutaisho ordered.

Sesshomaru stood rooted to the spot, watching as Rin’s chest heaved and sweat trickled down her face and neck.

Inutaisho scowled. “Sesshomaru, that was an order,” he growled.

The confused demon knelt next to his father and the smell of Rin’s blood made his vision blur. There was so much of it. His father sliced through the bandages taped to her stomach, careful to keep from scratching her with his claws. Inuyasha came in and piled the wet cloths in his mother’s hands then backed away.

Inutaisho’s face fell when he finally removed all the bloody rags. Her stomach had been butchered. Stitches were busted open and blood was seeping out of the reopened wounds. Izayoi looked away and folded one of the cloths over Rin’s forehead. Inutaisho growled and looked at Sesshomaru. He returned his father’s glance, silently agreeing about what needed to be done. His father nodded and turned back to Rin’s stomach. He reached out and cut through the stitches still held together in one of Rin’s gashes. The skin stretched as he cut through and then pulled apart. Rin became silent and it seemed like the whole room went still. Her mouth opened in a small “O” before she threw her head back and screamed. She thrashed wildly on the couch, popping out more of her stitches. Izayoi’s hands shook as she tried to ease the girl but Rin didn’t respond.

“No it hurts! Please stop. Don’t touch me! No!” Rin screamed as tears poured out of her eyes.

Inutaisho rushed forward and pressed his thumb against the pressure point on her neck. Rin’s body shook violently and she fell limp against the cushions. Izayoi turned worried eyes to her husband as tears threatened to spill down her pale face. Inutaisho wrapped an arm around her and kissed her forehead.

“You don’t think she’s…” Izayoi couldn’t finish. Her heart wrenched at the thought of the sweet and beautiful girl being… No, no that can’t be it. There must be a logical explanation. She thought as she allowed her husband to help her stand.

“We’ll confront her about it when she wakes up. Let Sesshomaru take care of her for now. Come, you need rest,” he murmured against her hair.

Izayoi nodded and looked at her son. Inuyasha stood motionless by the fireplace with a shocked expression on his face.

“Inuyasha, come,” she called.

Inuyasha nodded dumbly and followed his parents out. Sesshomaru watched them disappear into the hallway, waiting until they were a safe distance before he settled his amber eyes on Rin. Her hair was disheveled and an arm was thrown over her face, the other hanging limply over the edge of the couch. He moved so he was hovering directly over her stomach. Sesshomaru took a deep breath and went to work removing as much of the coppery fluid as he could with the cloths. He scowled at her again before bending over her and sliding his tongue over the worst wound. The skin around the cut was soft and warm and he placed a hand against her hip to tilt her to a better angle.

The flesh slowly closed and he moved on to the next one, working diligently as he lapped at the gruesome lacerations. Her blood was hot and sweet and made him dizzy as he worked, but he ignored the feelings that tugged at his heart and pressed forward more quickly.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Rin woke up dazed and confused. She leaned forward and looked stupidly at the cloth that fell in her lap. Her eyes widened in alarm when she saw her mutilated shirt. She studied her stomach in awe, the skin as smooth and untouched as if she had never been injured. Her fingers traced the faint lines where the cuts had been. How…?

As if reading her thoughts, Sesshomaru stepped forward and sat in the chair across from her. “I’m a dog demon. Our saliva has healing properties and I was able to seal your wounds. The bruise, however, I was unable to mend,” he explained.

Rin looked away from him to observe the bruise covering her hip. Healing saliva? Wait… that means he…

“You licked my stomach!” Rin screamed as she jumped up from the couch.

Sesshomaru’s eyes narrowed. “I was expecting something along the lines of ‘Thank you for saving my life for the second time in the span of a week,’” he snapped.

Rin frowned and pursed her lips together. She looked away from him and sighed. “I’m sorry, Sesshomaru. I am indebted to you. Thank you,” she whispered.

Izayoi and Inutaisho appeared in the doorway and inspected the two teens. Izayoi burst into tears and ran to Rin, folding the startled girl close to her chest and rubbing her back.

“Oh, Rin! I was so worried about you! How did this happen? Where did all those injuries come from?” she asked.

Inutaisho looked at Rin with worried eyes and pulled his wife away from her. He placed his hands on Rin’s shoulders and gently pushed her down in a chair. He and his wife took a seat across from her. Inuyasha walked in and leaned against the doorway with his arms folded tightly over his chest.

Rin looked around anxiously and tried to calm her fluttering heart. Inutaisho’s jaw was set in fierce determination. His eyes held an emotion she had seen only once before. It was when her friends first found out about her father.

“Rin, we need to talk,” he began. “How is your home life?”

Great… Rin thought before speaking, the words spilling out of her mouth with practiced ease. “I have a wonderful life. I have a loving father who provides me with everything I need and a house full of servants who care about me very much. The only thing I wish I had is my mother, but she died a long time ago. Why do you ask?”

Inutaisho and his wife exchanged glances, some of their nerves settled.

“Would you care to explain how you came across such nasty injuries?”

Rin laughed nervously and pressed a hand to her glowing cheeks. “I’m kind of a ditz... The maid didn’t tell me she mopped the kitchen floor and I slipped and grabbed the first thing I could reach. That just so happened to be a very expensive vase. I fell on the stand it was sitting on and the vase shattered under me,” Rin explained. That wasn’t a complete lie. She thought.

They seemed to believe her and relaxed against the sofa. Sesshomaru was still glaring at her but he seemed to accept her explanation as well.

She smells anxious. Her whole speech seemed forced, like she’s said the same thing before. It sounded… rehearsed. She’s hiding something. Inutaisho thought.

“Now you can get the project and go,” Sesshomaru stated before leaving the room.

Izayoi watched sadly as her step-son walked from the room. Rin stood and tried to hide her bare skin from the two adults.

“Yeah, that’s why I came here. I’m so sorry for everything. I hope I didn’t ruin your floor.” Rin bowed and followed after Sesshomaru. She made her way back to the foyer and was happy to see her butler waiting for her, project in hand. A large bag was at his feet full of her art supplies.

“All patched up now, Miss Rin?” he asked.

Rin smiled and picked up the bag. She nodded and followed him quietly out the door. She didn’t notice amber eyes watching her from the balcony as she drove away.

Clumsy idiot. He thought before walking to his room.