InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like a Moth to a Flame ❯ Introductions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi, this is my first story. I hope you like it. Reviews are helpful and encouraging.
Disclaimer: As this is “FanFiction” it is to be assumed that you are familiar with the anime/manga that is Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha (which I don't own, by the way).
 
~`*`~
 
Like a Moth to a Flame
Chapter 1: Introductions
By Thyme Cat
 
~`*`~
 
An arrow flies past Inuyasha, thudding soundly into a tree behind him. He tenses and sniffs the air but before he can do anything else, a female voice calls out, “Halt!” The arrow having successfully stopped them on the path, she continues, “Be ye good of malign?”
 
Not sensing any serious danger, Inuyasha looks at his friends whom all look equally confused. “What are you talking about?” Inuyasha growls back, annoyed at this delay.
 
They hear a sigh as a girl steps out from behind a tree to stand on a branch a few meters ahead. They look up at her quizzically, waiting for her reply, which comes promptly. “Are you going to hurt the people of my village?” She looks at them expectantly.
 
Inuyasha sniffs again, she looks human but something is a little off. It bothers him, causing his ears to twitch in agitation. Not seeing Inuyasha's caution, Miroku steps forward and flashes her one of his charming smile. “We wouldn't dream of harming the good people of your village.”
 
“Unless they start something,” Inuyasha adds gruffly, causing the girl's eyes to look at him again before returning to the handsome Buddhist monk. Miroku glares at his hanyou friend and continues speaking to the young lady. “We mean you no harm; we are simply looking for a break from the long road.”
 
She studies the group for a moment and Inuyasha notices her right eyebrow rise skeptically as her gaze runs over him. When their eyes meet, he is slightly surprised by the color; they are a deep blue-green. She disappears for a moment as she climbs down from her perch and reappears on the side of the path. She holds her bow at her side, keeping an arrow knocked while she studies them with a critical eye. A small smile appears on her lips. Seeming satisfied with Miroku's answer she smiles fully and steps forward, walking as she continues to talk. “I believe you wouldn't, houshi-sama, but how about your friends? You keep odd company; a taijya with a demon, a hanyou, an inappropriately dressed miko, and a demon kit. Do you vouch for them?” Kagome pulls at her short skirt a little as if to make it longer and pouts a little. She always wares her middle school uniform out of habit. The short green pleated skirt is much cooler than the cloths women normally ware, even in the summer heat. Besides, this isn't her time so why be miserable?
 
The others momentarily forgotten, Miroku's pleasure is evident as he walks to meet her half way. “I vouch for my friends but I have one question…” She looks at him, nodding to encourage him to continue. Her eyes widen in surprise as he clasps her hands in his, causing her to drop her weapon. “Would you do me the honor of bearing my child?”
 
She quirks her head a little to the right, unsure if she heard him correctly. Behind the monk she hears the hanyou, demon kit and miko sigh as if to say, “Hear we go again.” The taijya, however, looks furious. She lifts her massive bone weapon and swings at the space that previously the monk's head had been. They all seem surprised when she misses. She never misses.
 
With the monk safely behind her, the new girl narrows her eyes to study the taijya. “Do you still vouch for her?” She asks the monk at her back, tensing for a fight, though not really sure what is going on.
 
Miroku is equally surprised to find himself behind the young lady, but her question registers and he replies with a nervous laugh, “Um, well yes, I do.” He is able to see Sango's emotions flicker in her eyes; betrayal and jealousy are quickly masked by anger.
 
The girl addresses the taijya, “Why did you attack houshi-sama?”
 
Sango growls in frustration and a little bit of embarrassment, but replies, “Did you not hear what he just asked you?”
 
The girl protecting Miroku glares at Sango and shoots back, “He couldn't have been serious, he only just met me. What's your problem?”
 
Sango takes a step forward, continuing in her aggressive tone of voice, she begins, “He's a le…”
 
She is interrupted by the `umph' that escapes Miroku as the new girl twists around and punches him in the stomach. Miroku's hand had wondered to her rear while she was defending him! She easily pushes him down to the ground and glares at him for a moment before turning around to face the taijya once more. Stepping away from the monk on the ground catching his breath, she walks up to Sango. At a safe distance from the pervert, she bows politely, “I'm sorry for interfering. Please forgive me.” She remains in her slight bow until she hears Sango's reply.
 
After a slight hesitation, taking it all in, Sango simply replies, “Forgiven.”
 
The new girl stands and smiles at Sango, who adds, “By the way, I'm Sango and this is Kirara.” She points to the little two-tailed cat that stands at her feet. Kirara had not felt her lady was in physical danger, so she chose not to grown to her full size in order to keep things from escalating. Kirara offers a cute meow as a greeting.
 
Kagome steps up to introduce herself. “Hi, my name is Kagome.” The little kitsune in her arms pipes up, “And I'm Shippo.”
 
The girl bows politely in greeting and replies, “Nice to meet you. My name is Midori.”
 
“Nice to meet you too,” Kagome says with a smile. A questioning look crosses all their faces and Midori chuckles.
 
“Yes I know it is a boy's name. My mother wanted a boy and didn't know any girl names she liked. So I ended up with Midori.” She shrugs as if there is nothing she can do about it. Both Kagome and Sango notice that Midori seems a little sad at the thought of her mother.
 
“I think it's a nice name,” Kagome says to make her feel better, “It suites you.”
 
Midori smiles her thanks. “Well no sense standing around here, I'll show you to my village.”
 
“It's about damn time.” An angry growl from her right reminds her of the hanyou. She is about to retort but Kagome beats her to it.
 
“Inuyasha, please be nice. We are all tired, please don't make this unpleasant.” Kagome spoke, her tone of voice asking him to behave as much as her words.
 
“Feh” is all he says, and resumes walking down the path a head of them, not bothering to look back to see if they are following.
 
Kagome offers Midori an apologetic look and inquires, “How far is your village?”
 
Beginning to walk, she Midori replies, “Not far, we will be there with a bit of sun to spare before nightfall.” A little growl escapes from the kitsune's stomach, “And we can get something to eat as well.” She adds, smiling at the kit with understanding.
 
“Yay! Did you hear that Kagome? She is going to feed us!” Kagome smiles down at Shippo, whom she is still carrying, and the two of them speak for the rest of the short trek about how nice it is to sleep on something other than rocks and sticks. Sango walks quietly in thought about Midori while Midori enjoys listening to Kagome and Shippo. Miroku climbs to his feet and walks a few feet behind them all, also thinking.
 
They catch up with Inuyasha at the crest of a small hill as he pauses to survey the village below. It is a medium-sized village, about the size of Kaede's, their home village for the time being, and stands not far from the ocean which stretches out to the west and the setting sun. Kagome's breath catches, speaking aloud what everyone is thinking. “How beautiful.”
 
The others nod their agreement; it is lovely with the sun sinking behind the horizon and the gold, red and purple lining the clouds and reflecting on the water. Midori smiles; pleased with their approval. She notices, even the hanyou, Inuyasha, seems to enjoy the sight though he says nothing.
 
Shippo's hungry tummy reminds them that it is time for dinner, and they all walk down the hill toward the village.
 
~Tsutzuku~
 
| Hanyou = half demon | midori = green | houshi-sama = respectful term for a Buddhist monk | taijya = here it means demon slayer, but I think it has other meanings | miko = Shinto priestess | kitsune = fox |
 
Author's Notes (A/N)
So what did you think?
Suggestions for making the conversations flow better would be greatly appreciated.
Please, no flames. >^_^<
 
Thank you, whoobonhooaglo, and Terra MB for your reviews. I'll keep working on it because you made me feel god ^_^.