InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like a Moth to a Flame ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Like a Moth to a Flame - Prologue
By Thyme Cat
~`*`~
DONG! DONG! DONG!
 
A large metal bell resounds from a wooden tower on the eastern edge of town. Men, women and children run from one place to another. Most are trying to figure out where their loved ones are while some head with purpose toward the center of town. These few are the town seer, her apprentice, the two priestesses and the head priest. The headman, his wife and three elders also make haste to the temple, as it is their set rendezvous point in times of danger.
~`~
The first to speak is the seer. Her aged face is set with determination, her cataract eyes gleam with purpose. “The time has come. The waters are rising, the wind is blowing. This is no ordinary tsunami. It is as I had foretold.”
 
The headman and his wife look to each other, fear clearly written in their faces. The elder of the two priestesses nods her head, acknowledging the truth of the seer's words while the younger sighs with something akin to resignation. The seer's apprentice stands behind the seer, outside the circle of town leaders, watching and listening.
 
“The people are terrified. We should gather them and comfort them.” One of the elders, a woman with long grey hair and big, dark eyes suggests. A cold rain begins to fall upon them, soaking their cloths in minutes.
 
“Elder Maya, there is little we can do. They are as panicked beasts.” The elder of the priestesses replies as she wraps her arms around herself.
 
“We can not send them into the hereafter as they are, Lady Mimiko. They may become restless spirits. This may also affect their next lives and it is irresponsible to not even try to calm them.” The middle-aged priest admonishes, reminding everyone what they already know. His official hat is carried off before he can catch it.
 
The wind begins to howl around them causing their hair to be pulled from whatever bindings held it. Their clothing slaps and cracks, making it very difficult to hear the voice of the younger priestess. “We are running out of time to do anything. The storm is almost upon us.”
 
Just then, an intimidating crack and crashing sound causes them all to jump and turn as one to face the east. The bell tower crumbles to the ground with a great racket that is quickly swallowed up by the raging wind.
 
“Lady Kohakuri is right. As much as we would like to help them, we are out of time. We should, instead, prepare the artifacts to keep them safe.” The male elder suggests, raising his gravelly voice to be heard of the din.
 
“We do not all need to do that. Some of us can…”
 
The remaining elder never finishes her sentence for at that moment, a tree flies by and takes her with it as it is carried up and out to sea by the mounting gale. The others stand in shock for a moment at the sudden absence of an old friend and teacher. They do not have time for it to soak in, however, as the storm has grown to such a strength that is it very difficult to keep their feet on the ground.
 
The seer speaks in a commanding voice. “Mimiko and Kinhiro, secure the artifacts as we discussed.” The elder priestess and the priest turn immediately to do as instructed. “Headman and Tsuki, gather whomever you can, and comfort them as best you are able. Maya and Yukiaki go with them.” The headman, his wife and the remaining elders turn as well, leaving the seer alone with her apprentice and the younger priestess.
 
“Kohakuri, Sangochi, we must retreat to the sacred cave and ward the disk.” She turns on her heels and runs as fast as her old legs can carry her while keeping her body low in an attempt to stay earthbound a little while longer.
 
Behind her, the two sisters look at each other. A look passes between them, shared fear, shared resolve reflecting in their identical eyes. They follow in the seer's wake.
 
~`~
 
The cacophony of the storm tearing apart their homes above is a small rumble from the depths of the cave. The sound of running water is more immediate as it cascades down the tunnel past the three women descending, making each step hazardous. Sangochi, the seer's apprentice, carries the touch which grants them little comfort for they each feel the presence of active energy. The kami of this cave, or more specifically of the rock that surrounds the cave, is awake and aware of the situation.
 
At the end of the passage, they stop and rest for a moment to catch their breath. The seer motions for Kohakuri to step forward and open the first gate. She does so by clapping twice then placing her hands together in prayer, activating her spiritual energy, until her aura glows ever so slightly with a pale blue light.
 
Crossing her left hand over her chest, she reaches out with her right and draws a symbol that glows with her energy. At the completion of this symbol a wave of holy energy ripples out across the vertical plane of the stone from the original symbol at its epicenter.
 
The rock around them shakes in reply, responding to the offer of holy energy and answering their plea by splitting the stone wall in two and pulling them back to make way for them to enter deeper into the earth. Kohakuri stands where she was when she opened the first gate, allowing the seer and her sister to pass first. As she walks through behind them, the stone returns to its original place and grows dark once more.
 
They continue down a little more, turning a few curves in the tunnel before ending at last at a cavern and a medium-sized pool. In the center of the pool is a small island, upon which sits a small wooden box.
 
Looking across the water, which is slowly rising, the seer speaks in a hushed voice. “Of all our people's relics, this is the most important for it was made in another place, another time. It is said that a great stone fell from the sky with such force and fire that upon impact with the ground it punched a whole clear through to the land of the dead. This caused widespread chaos for all who are dead wish to walk among the living and at the time there was no one to stop them. A time of darkness descended; many feared the worst. One powerful priestess did not despair. She sought answers, a solution to patch the whole and balance the world once more.”
 
The seer approaches the water and looks into it, as if seeing the events of her story unfold before her. “She traveled into the heart of the darkness, but she was not alone. She gained the trust of an Elf, one of the few remaining in this realm, whose knowledge of magic was beyond all others. A young human boy from a jungle far to the west, who was a thief by trade, followed her in the hopes of finding treasures and fame. Also there was a Koi half-demon. She had saved the brave priestess's life initially and had been saved countless times thereafter.”
 
Kohakuri and Sangochi are familiar with this story, but they listen with their full attention as it is part of the ritual they must perform soon.
 
“Their adventures were great but lost to memory; all that remains is thus: the celestial stone was fashioned into a key. The priestess used this key to seal the land of the dead from the land of the living once more by giving her life to maintain the seal, but the key could not remain. It is said the Elf carried the key to this very village where he met the seer at the time. She foretold a future when the gate would again be opened but until that time the key needed to be protected. And now is the time to put the final seals on the key to keep it safe through the ages.”
 
~`~
 
“Miss? Miss, please wake up. Please place your chair in the up-right position. We are getting ready to land. Please, Miss, wake up.” A gentle male voice says in Japanese.
 
As her eyes open, she thinks, `The flight attendant?' He is gently shaking her to rouse her from her dream. “Oh, thanks. Ok, um, how much longer?” Her sleepy voice is a little slurred and she forgets to answer in Japanese causing the attendant to smile handsomely.
 
Once her seat is up he answers, “We will be arriving in Tokyo international in about forty-five minutes. Plenty of time to get your things together, but please, no cell phones until we land.” He leaves her once she nods her understanding. `What kind of dream was that?'
 
A/N
Kohaku = Amber
Sango = Pearl
Both are girls names and yes there is significance in their names being (more of less) the same as the siblings in the series.