InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Looking Towards The Future ❯ Prologue - Part 1 ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Inuyasha and co do not belong to me. If they did do you think I'd be working at a place like CVS?

Tears continued to stream down her face. It had only been a week since the attack, but to Kagome it had felt like an enternity. She sat on her bed, rocking back and forth, as she sunk deeper into her depression. If any of kagome's friends, from the past or the present, had seen her they wouldn't have recognized her. She had lost so much weight. It was very visible in her features. Her eyes didn't have their usual cheeriness. Her skin had taken on a pale, sickley color.

"Nee - chan?" A soft voice hesitantly broke through the silence that settled over the room like a cloud.

Kagome slowly looked up at the doorway, her grip on her pillow tightened, (although it wasn't out of fear) to see Souta standing there holding a tray full of food. Sieka, their mother, appeared behind the boy, giving him a slight push. Sieka knew Kagome's condition scared her son. It scared her too. Ever since Kagome had returned home from the hospitol to find the Bone Eater's Well gone the girl had not been the same. It had been nearly a week since she had returned home, but Kagome would do nothing but rock back and forth on her bed. There were a few time when Sieka had been lucky enough to coax her daughter into eating a little bit of food and taking a shower every now and then.

Souta slowly walked towards his sister's desk, slightly encouraged by his mother's slight push. He set the tray down, and turned to face Kagome. Trembling slightly, he raised his eyes to hers. The dull and hollow look in her blue - grey eyes was accented by the bags in her eyes. The 10 year old boy felt like crying. Seeing his sister like this scared him, it scared him in a way that he really couldn't describe. He had no idea what was wrong with her, and he wanted to do anything to help her.

Souta managed a weak smile as Kagome stared at him, her face completely expressionless. He stood there for a few moments hoping for some sort of reaction, but when there was non he turned around and slowly headed for the door.

Sieka waited for her son to leave the room before stepping into the room to talk to Kagome.

"Well, Kagome - chan I hope you eat something. I made oden, your favorite." She gestureed to the tray. When there was no response she continued. "Maybe you might want to take a shower tonight?" Still no response. " Well, if you do just tell me. Otou - sama should be home sometime tomorrow. He can't wait to see you." Sieka paused again and looked to see if Kagome was making any type of reaction: a muscle twitching, wiping away the tears that continued to fall, or anything. There was nothing. Kagome just continued to grip her pillow, rock back and forth, and stared at her mother without really seeing her. Sieka swallowed. She hated seeing her daughter like this. She knew why Kagome was like this: the girl couldn't go pack to the Sengoku Jidai period, and it was tearing her up inside. "Okay Kagome - chan, I'm going to go now, but I just need to tell you one more thing. You're going to have to go back to school soon. Your principal called and said that if you want to get into a good high school you'll need to go back to school. Have a good night, dear."

As Sieka turned away from her daughter she could Souta's muffled sobs. She walked out of the room and her son sitting in the hall, crying. Sieka collapsed on the floor next to her son and gathered him in her arms.

"It's okay, Souta. Kagome will be okay. We just need to be strong to her. Okay, Souta? We just need to be strong."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N : Gomen, I now that this one was a little short. Well, what do you think so far? You like? Read and review. Comments and flames are welcome. ^^