InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Looking Towards The Future ❯ Prologue - Part 2 ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha reached down and tucked a strand of hair behind Kagome's ear. She looked so pale. If it weren't for her steady heartbeat and even breathing he would have thought that she was dead.

It was over. The final battle was over. Naraku was dead. The Shikon no Tama was complete. Miroku's Air Rip was healed. The lecherous houshi could now live a peaceful life if he choose to. Sango's village and family had been avenged. Her brother could now rest in peace. Sango could also live a peaceful life. Kikyou could now rest in peace. They had won the final battle, but it had not been won without sacrifices. It had been a month since the final battle. Still Kagome wouldn't wake. The hanyou closed his eyes, and the memories came rushing back.

>flashback<

Sango collapsed to her knees. Hiraikotsu fell to the ground with a clatter. Gone. He was gone.

"Kohaku." She whispered, sorrow filling her mind. ~Kohaku.~ Kohaku, her little brother, was dead. Naraku, the bastard, had removed the Shikon shard that had sustained Kohaku's life. ~He…re…moved…the…~ The sorrow that filled Sango's mind was giving away to anger and hate.

"Naraku. NARAKU!!!!" All of a sudden Sango jumped up and started to charge the evil hanyou, Hiraikotsu in hand.

Naraku smiled coldly at the woman that ran towards him, her being reeking of anger and hate. Inuyasha stared at the youkai hunter, in partial shock, as she streaked past him, only stopping when she was a few feet from Naraku. Swinging her arm she took aim, preparing to kill the bastard once and for all. Inuyahsa stood frozen for a moment at Sango's sudden burst of anger.

"Foolish bitch." Naraku muttered coldly, just loud enough for Inuyasha to hear. Inuyasha started to move to take some form of action to warn Sango, but Naraku was faster. Miasma started to emit from his body, like a deadly aura, heading straight for Sango. Sango released Hiraikotsu. Only when she released the weapon did she realize the mistake that her anger had cost her. ~Kohaku, Chi-chue, Gomen.~ She closed her eyes as she braced herself for the pain.

"Sango!!!!"

~Houshi - sama?~ Sango was aloud one thought when something heavy crashed into her, taking the miasma for her. She opened her eyes to see Miroku sprawled next to her, blood dripping from his stomach wound. ~Miroku? Why?~

"Houshi - sama!! Oh, no! Gods, no!" Sango screamed completely oblivious to the battle that was happening around her.

"Sango - chan! Miroku - sama!"

Sango turned to see Kagome and Shippou running up to her. ~Kagome - chan.~

Inuyasha just stared in shock. Miroku was hit. Maybe dying. This battle, it was going to be the final battle. If they didn't win…oh gods!

"Oi! Dog - breath! Snap out of it!"

Something small and furry landed on his shoulder as Kagome rushed past him to where Sango ad Miroku laid. Inuyasha blinked. ~Idiot!~ He cursed to himself. ~Now is no time to space out!~ Rushing forwards, he knocked the young kitsune off, leaped and landed in front of Sango.

"Kagome, is that baka bouzu alright!?" He growled out in a voice laced with worry, the insults from Shippou seeming to knock him out of his shock.

Kagome kneeled next to Miroku, checking for a pulse. She nodded.

"Yea, he's ok."

"Good, get the fuck away from here. Heads towards the woods. Leave this bastard for me."

Kagome eyes darted to the woods for a brief moment before complying. Quickly touching Sango's shoulder, the girl helped the shocked woman heave Miroku onto Kirara's back. They retreated to the edge of the woods near the clearing where they had set camp. The camp they had been at just minutes before Naraku and his minions had attacked.

~~~~

"Kaze no Kizu!"

Kagome turned her attention over towards the battle. She brought her hands up to the bottle that held the Shikon no Tama shards. A wind blew across the battlefield, ruffling her hair.

Inuyasha leaned on Tessaiga catching his breath as he waited for the cloud that covered Naraku to settle.

"Ku, ku, ku."

Kagome looked around for Naraku, but couldn't see the source of the disembodied voice. It was eerily disturbing.

"Well, well, Inuyasha. Your powers have indeed grown. This has been amusing to say the least."

Inuyasha tightened his grip around Tesssaiga. Where was he? When would that damn bastard attack?! He could still smell Naraku, but it was confusing. It seemed to be everywhere. The scent seemed to be one with the ground, the air,…the scents of his comrades. His grip tightened around the demonic blade. It seemed to mingle with the scent of……Kagome. He narrowed his eyes as he tried to see through the thick blanket of dust. He was so busy concentrating on that one spot that he didn't see the flicker of movement…. Until it was too late.

"Ku, ku, ku. You really should pay more attention to your friends Inuyasha." The voice sounded like a whisper across the battlefield, but Inuyasha still picked up the sound with his keen hearing. He whirled around and felt his heart clench.

~~~~

Kagome jumped and started to turn around as Naraku's voice breathed against her ear, sending a shiver up her spine.

"KAGOME!!!"

Kagome stopped halfway in her turn to see Inuyasha come racing towards her. Then she heard it.

"Foolish miko."

~~~~

Inuyasha was a mere few feet away from the group when the blast hit Kagome. It hit her square on and sent her flying. ~No. NO!~

"Kagome!!!"

Inuyasha leapt into the sky and caught her limp body in his arms.

"Kagome?"

His breath caught in his throat when she didn't respond.

"Ka-Kagome?"

His clawed hand cupped her face. She still didn't respond.

"Kagome, ne, come on. Open your eyes. Onegai?"

A tear slipped down Inuyasha's face.

"Ku, ku, ku. Give it up Inuyasha. She'll never wake up. Never. You failed her." Naraku smirked. "Just like you failed Kikyou."

A growl started to form in Inuyasha's chest as Naraku had started to speak. A growl that erupted into a deafening roar when the evil hanyou mentioned the name Kikyou.

"BASTARD!!!!! You goddamn fuckin' bastard!!!!! I'll kill you for this!"

Inuyasha gently sent Kagome's still body down before turning to face Naraku.

>end of flashback<

Inuyasha gently stroked Kagome's cheek. He had managed to kill Naraku in the end. Even though he had known that it was near to impossible, a small part of him had hopped that she would wake up after the battle. She hadn't. Know she lay in Kaede's hut still unresponsive. Despite the coaxing of Miroku and Kaede the hanyou had refused to bring her home. The two had thought that maybe Kagome could get help in her time, but Inuyasha had refused. Truth be told he was afraid, terrified even. He feared that if he took Kagome through the well that her family wouldn't let her see him. That they wouldn't let him near Kagome because of his failure to protect her. That they would seal the well. Sealing off his access to the future…to Kagome. To his soul mate.

He couldn't do that. He just couldn't.

"Damn Naraku! If that bastard wasn't still alive..I'd…I'd kill him! I'd love the chance to rip his fuckin' heart out." Inuyasha's hand clenched into a fist. ~Oh gods, Kagome! Please don't leave me. I……I need you.~

A/N: Okay, that was corny. Is any one confused yet? *evil laugh* Good! Okay not really, but listen. Look back at the summary. At says things are not what they seem. So people…which is the reality and which is the illusion? Part 1 or Part 2? Tell me in your reviews!!!!! A side note. The next chapter is going to be reeeaaalllyyy short. As in a page. Maybe. …………That sucked. At least this author thinx so anyways. What do you all think? I finally got back to this story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay I am way to hyper right now! I better go before I scare you people! Ja ne!!