InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Looking Towards The Future ❯ Prologue - Part 3 ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Okay people. Good news! The last and final part of the prologue is going to be longer than planned. Originally it was only going to be less than a page. That's right mina. Less than a page, but in a sudden creative inspiration I decided to add some more to it. Hopefully it turned out okay. Hope ya like!

Kagome sat at her desk staring back at her reflection in the mirror. Her raven locks, which normally trailed down her back in wet, wild curls, just hung from her head in a limp ratty mess. It had been days since she had last brushed her hair.

~Why do I anything anymore?~ she asked herself as her dead eyes stared back at her. It wasn't the first time she asked herself that. Every since she had come home from the hospital to find no well. No way to the past. She knew why, no matter how many times she asked herself she would always no why. It was for her family. For Souta, Mama, and Jii-chan. Again the tears started to roll down the cheeks. Kagome just sighed and made no attempt to wipe away the tears. She walked over to her bed and just flopped onto it; ignoring her covers completely. Kagome closed her eyes and she fell into another tortured sleep.

*~*~*

"Kagome." A husky voice breathed whispered across a sparkling lake.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome woke up with a start to find herself lying on soft grass. She glanced down at herself and was startled to discover that she was wearing a kimono. It was a sky blue decorated with green bonsai trees. A light purple obi, tied in a very complicated way in the back, completed the outfit. Near her was a lake, glittering crystal blue in the sunlight. "Where are you?"

"I'm right here. By your side. Where I'll always be."

Kagome stood up and nearly tripped on the long, silk fabric. Strong arms reached out from behind to hold her steady. A sudden wind blew from across the lake ruffling her hair and the hair of the man that stood behind her. Kagome's heart lodged in her throat and tears started to form in her eyes as she noticed long silver hair brush past her.

"I-Inu…"

Kagome stopped in mid-sentence when Inuyasha's arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer.

"Don't cry Kagome. I hate it when you cry."

Tears streamed down her face despite the order as she tilted her head upward so that she could get a good look at him. Concerned amber eyes looked down at her. Kagome gasped at the gentle look Inuyasha's face held. It was a characteristic that she had only seen in her nightmares. Nightmares of Inuyasha holding Kikyou close, whispering words of endearment in the ears of the undead miko. Of Inuyasha touching the cold skin of the former miko. Nightmares of when Inuyasha completely ignored the fact that she even existed. Inuyasha leaned down and kissed away the tears, ridding her face of the salty moisture.

"Kagome."

Inuyasha inhaled her scent and nuzzled her neck, enjoying the feel of her soft hair against his face. Falling into his embrace completely, Kagome felt her eyes go heavy. She allowed them to close as complete relaxation over took her. The knowledge of Inuyasha's protection and love luring her into a state of unconsciousness.

~~~~

"Ku, ku, ku."

Kagome eyes flew open with a start and tried to fight the urge to vomit when she recognized the figure looming over her. Naraku was kneeling over her, half-naked, his curly black hair tumbling over his shoulders. (*)

"NOOOO!!!! Get off of me, you bastard!"

Naraku complied to Kagome's demands easily, a sadistic smiled forming.

"Certainly, Kagome-chan. After all you can't escape me."

"Wanna bet?"

Kagome stood up only to trip over something warm and soft. She landed with a thud in a puddle of sticky liquid.

"Very clumsy Kagome-chan. You better be careful, mate. We wouldn't want his body to be ruined before we performed the ritual."

Her blue-gray eyes opened wide, and they flitted over the form the she had tripped over. She let out a bloodcurdling scream at the sight that lay before her.

There, on the ground, lay a figure with silver hair and white, furry dog-ears stained in deep scarlet.

~Blood.~ Kagome's eyes widened even in more at the realization.

Inuyasha's amber eyes stared up at the sky, completely void of any life.

~In-u-ya-sha.~

Even the hanyou's red haori and hakama were stained by the blood.

It was then that Kagome realized what she sat in. She raised trembling hands to her face. They were completely drenched in the blood of her beloved. Kagome continued to scream in horror as Naraku's evil laughter filled her ears.

*~*~*

Kagome woke up with a tortured cry and wrapped her arms around herself in hopes of comfort. Tears slide down her cheeks as she let out an anguished sob.

If anyone heard her that night their heart couldn't help but break for the poor girl. Here she was torn away from the man she loved, with no way back to him.

~Inuyasha. Inuyasha! INUYASHA!!!!~

Kagome sobbed into her pillow, in a vain attempt to muffle the sounds of her crying. She cried most of the night, crying Inuyasha's name over and over in her mind. These nightmares were the only thing that could pull her out of her depressed state. The painful realization of the truth that they held gave her back some of her spirit, but only for a short time.

Kagome continued crying until very early in the morning. When exhaustion finally lulled her into a dreamless state of sleep.

* - Ewwwwww!!!!!! Now there's a scary thought!!!!

A/N: I actually kinda liked how this chapter turned out. The dream was my favorite part. What about you, mina? Although I could have written it in more detail. Oh well. Give me a break. It's frickin' 1 in the morning! Okay so it wasn't that much longer. Only by three pages. Yeah, yeah. I know the dream sequence was very similar to the dream sequences in The Curse Of The Shaken No Tama. *shrugs* What can I say? I'm a bitch. So what do ya folks think will happen, eh? TEEELLLLL MEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Don't forget to read and review. Oh by the way…. *VERY small voice* I really have no idea what I'm going to write for chapter 1. *dodges numerous knives and other heavy objects* Gomen ne!!!! *sigh* Until next time! Ja ne!