InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love at Sea ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Don't own Inuyasha
 
 
The sounds of the sea lapping at the edge of the sand had always captivated her. The smell of salt and the wind blowing through her hair was her refuge. Kagome sighed and with half closed eyes looked out over the ocean. `I can not believe I have to go through with this.' Kagome sighed at her dismal thoughts. `I don't want to marry this prince, especially since I have yet to meet him.” Kagome thought back to what her father had told her what her duty, and was not pleased. “I've never even heard of this guy…”, sighing again she forced her concentration on the peaceful surroundings.
 
The sun setting over the horizon of the ocean and reflecting a long orange glow on the surface of the water never ceased to amaze her of the beauty of her home here next to the sea. Being of royal family and with the role or a princess was always stressful and she had to get away from it all. Coming down from her vast estate located on the cliff above the ocean to the sandy beach was a relief to her stressed mind. `I wonder if I'll see any aquatic life around today.'
 
Kagome love to watch the dolphins at play. Dolphins were beautiful creatures that swam through the water like silk flows over your hand playing, jumping and voicing to one another in their mystic voices. Sometimes Kagome would come and swim, of course, if her father or mother ever found out, she would listen to the `that's not lady-like lecture'.
 
Kagome also loved to come down to the ocean for other reasons as well. From the maids that helped raise her, Kagome had heard fantastical tales of men and women who lived in the ocean. Mermaids and mermen were what they were called. They have the upper body of a human and the lower body resembling a long tail fin. Kagome had heard from some of the maids that there had been wanderers who have seen these creatures from afar. The tales spoke how these merpeople had beautiful voices that could enchant humans and lure them into the ocean. What happened to these victims was never sure though many came up with there own conclusions.
 
Some said that merpeople hated humans and lured them into the ocean to drown them. Then there were some that said that they used their magic to transform humans into sea creatures whom then became pets of some sorts. Kagome had no idea, but she came down to the shore in hopes of seeing one. The idea of something out of the norm was entrancing in its own way. Everyday life was boring here, having everything yet never having anything to do.
 
Of course, there were those that would be envious of her and call her spoiled. Saying she had no idea of how good she did have it and that she should enjoy what she had. But Kagome didn't look at it that way. `No kind of life is ever perfect.'
 
With the sun sinking down further, the wind that was once a relief from the scorching heat of the sun, was now very cool and she would need to head back soon with the little light left to see the path.
 
Kagome stood up and was about to head back to her home, but decided to walk to the edge of the shore. Looking out at the sky along the horizon, she saw that it had changed to a dazzling mixture of pinks, blues and oranges. Crouching down and letting the water lap at her hand, she looked at the glistening sand beneath her. Running her fingers through the soggy sand she felt a hard, rough object buried in there. She pulled it out and washed it off in the water.
 
It was an oval shell about a inch long, the top was a spiral cone shape and by the opening of the shell, one could tell the shell was thin. It was a glossy white shell covered in a zigzag pattern of dark red crossings. “Wow…” Kagome held up the shell to what little light was left. `This is definitely not your average shell.' Kagome gave one final look out at the ocean and was surprised by a splash of water rising into the air.
 
`Whoa, that was weird, the water's calm, so it must have been a pretty big fish,' Kagome also let her fantasies run through her head, `or it could have been a... yeah right Kagome, like something that interesting would happen around you.'
 
Turning around she headed back up the path to her home, still clutching the rare shell in her hand. She never knew that someone was watching her make her way away from the waters edge with passive eyes that glowed with the reflection of the fading light.
 
Kagome made her way back up to the giant fortress that was her home. Passing the huge entrance gates and giving a smile and a nod of acknowledgement to the guards, she made her way around the perimeter of the castle to a servant's door. Opening the door she was hit by a blast of warm air and the smell of a delicious aroma of a mix of roasted meat and fresh backed bread.
 
Giving greetings to all the cooks and maids and receiving greetings in return, she made her way back up to her room. She walked over to her dresser, pulling out a one of the small drawers and putting the shell in the back and shutting it, she then walked to an adjoining bathroom to see that a warm bath had already been prepared.
 
Undressing and slipping into the warm liquid that smelled faintly of lavender, she rested against the side and her idle mind decided to think about her sudden engagement. The Prince Hojou she was supposed to wed because it was her duty as future queen. `But I'm not ready to deal with something like this,' closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she tried her best to forget these troublesome thoughts and finished her bath.
 
The rest of the night flew by in a flash. Kagome sat at dinner not paying attention to the conversations of her mother and father and any of the guests they had over so often. She found herself in her room sitting in front of her mirror brushing her black, wavy hair. She stared at her unusual blue-grey eyes. Sighing again she decided that it was time to turn in and hope that tomorrow would be a more cheerful day.
 
 
A/N: don't know if anyone has a story like this, but this is all purely from my head. The shell I'm talking about in this chapter is called the Glory of the Sea. Tell me how this chapter turned out and if it needs fixing any where. So I hope you liked it and I hope you review.