InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Popping the Question ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Well we certainly have some diverse reviewers! Two think it's not Inu that forced Kags, two are rooting for Kouga and Kags, and the rest wanna know what's going on! But are there any of you who don't?
nunofyorbiz; I've seen a whole bunch of rape fics. Kouga/Inu/Sess tries to rape Kags, and Kouga/Inu/Sess comes to the rescue. But there is a twist to this, don't worry. The really messed up ones are the ones where Kags gets raped, and falls for the one that did it. Yes, there have been fics like that, though I don't understand how you can love a guy who raped you! Kags excuse is that she loved Inu before hand.
Chapter 3
Popping the Question
Kagome woke up to the smell of cooking meat. She turned over and saw Hakkaku building a fire. Kagome groaned and Hakkaku looked up from his work and smiled at Kagome.
“How are you now sister?” Hakkaku asked. Kagome sat up and smiled back.
“I'm ok I guess. Where are Kouga and Ginta?” she asked. Hakkaku fed some twigs into the fire and looked out the mouth of the cave. Kagome looked past him to see it was late, the sun was almost set.
“Kouga and Ginta went out to hunt. Ginta wanted him to stay to look after you, but Kouga wanted to make sure you would be able to eat.” Hakkaku explained. Kagome nodded and stretched.
“Kagome, you're awake!” called Kouga, dashing into the cave. He threw down five rabbits in front of Hakkaku, who set about putting them over sticks. Kouga knelt in front of Kagome and smiled.
“It's too late to go back tonight. I'll take you in the morning, alright?” he asked. Kagome nodded. Behind them, Ginta ran panting into the cave. Kouga rolled his eyes. “Ginta, you should really try to keep up when we go hunting.” He told his pack mate. Ginta nodded weakly and flopped down in the dust. Kagome shook her head.
“Kouga, be fair. You have a slight advantage.” She reminded him. Kouga cocked an eyebrow.
“What do you mean?” he replied. Kagome pointed to his ankles. Kouga looked down and shrugged.
“That's no excuse.” He scoffed. Kagome put a hand to her mouth and giggled. Kouga smiled and looked over his shoulder at Hakkaku.
“Hakkaku, how're those rabbits coming?” he asked.
“Almost ready Kouga.” Hakkaku said. Kagome looked around Kouga and grimaced at the way Hakkaku was cooking the rabbits.
“You cook them with the fur on?” she asked. Kouga looked back at her and nodded.
“The fur coats the meat, smokes the flavor in.” he explained. Kagome gulped.
“Oh.” She murmured. Hakkaku took the rabbits and handed two to Kouga. Kouga sliced off the fur on one and handed it to Kagome.
“Here.” Kouga said. Kagome hadn't noticed how hungry she was, regardless of the fact it was rabbit. As far as Kagome was concerned, it was cooked, and it smelt good. She bit into the meat and chewed carefully.
“Not bad. Rabbit-Ka-Bob.” She said thoughtfully. “A little bland, could use some salt.” She bit into the meat again. Kouga looked up from his rabbit. He swallowed the meat in his mouth and frowned.
“What's salt?” he asked. Kagome looked up and gulped. She had forgotten. Kouga didn't know about the well.
“Um…it's a seasoning. From my…village.” She explained weakly. Kouga nodded and bit into his dinner again. Kagome took a small bite and sighed.
“What's wrong?” Kouga asked. Kagome looked down.
“If you take me back tomorrow…I'll have to see him again. How am I going to face him?” she whispered. Kouga bit back a growl.
“Simple. You ignore him. And if he tries to talk to you, or touch you, I kill him.” Kouga said it like it was the easiest thing in the world. Kagome was shocked.
“You can't kill Inuyasha Kouga!” she shouted. Kouga jumped to his feet.
“Dammit Kagome, how can you defend that mutt after today?” he demanded. “He wasn't worth your sympathy before, and all he should get now is your hate.”
“I can't hate Inuyasha Kouga.”
“Why the hell not?”
“Because I loved him.” Kagome whispered. Kouga did a double take.
“How can you love him Kagome? Do you have any idea what he would have done if I hadn't…” Kouga did another double take. “Loved? You don't anymore?” Kagome shrugged.
“I'm really not sure. I know that yesterday, I would have given my life for him. But now…” Kagome's eyes welled up again. “I just don't understand. He's never hurt me on purpose ever since we first met. Why would he try now?” Kouga looked away and sighed.
“Kagome…I have to talk to you.” Kagome looked up.
“What about?' she asked quietly.
“Do you remember what happened when we first met?” Kouga replied. Kouga smiled wryly.
“Yeah. You kidnapped me, said I was your woman, and declared your love for me.” She said. Kouga nodded.
“I know. I'm sorry.” He whispered. Kagome cocked her head.
“Huh?” she asked.
“I knew back then that dog shit had some sort of claim on you. He was hanyou, but the youkai law of mates still applied.” Kagome put a hand of his shoulder.
“It's alright Kouga. I didn't know back then about that sort of thing.” Kouga looked up.
“Kagome, I'm sorry to ask you this after what has happened today, but I have to know. How do you feel about me?” Kagome took a breath.
“Well I think you're a good friend.” She said truthfully.
“Just a friend?” Kouga asked.
“Well except for the fact that you keep hitting on me…” Kagome said, trailing off. Kouga was a friend to her, but he always had wanted more. He had always seen them as more, or so she thought.
“About that.” Kouga started. “I'm not going to force you to decide if you still love dog shit or not. That's your choice. If you hate him, then he deserves it. If you still love him, then god must like his half breed ass. But I'm going to say this now, and I'm going to say it right.” Kouga took her hands and looked into Kagome's eyes.
“I love you Kagome. Will you be my mate?” he asked. Kagome asked and looked away.
“Kouga…”
“I'm not going to expect an answer just yet.” Kouga said, releasing her hands. “You've had a hard day, and you're confused. But I just want you to know that I do love you. Think about it, and let me know when you've reach a decision.” Kagome looked back at him and smiled.
“Thank you Kouga.” She said softly. Kouga nodded.
“We should rest now. If we're going to leave in the morning, we'll need it.” He said. Kagome nodded and lay back down. But having spent the majority of the day unconscious or asleep, rest didn't come so easy. Even a few hours later, when Ginta and Hakkaku were gently snoring and Kouga was keeping watch, she couldn't find sleep, and opted for staring at the cave walls.
Why would Inuyasha do something like that? She thought. His demon side wasn't in control. I didn't sense he was possessed. So why? She thought back to Kouga's questions, and sighed. I did…do love him. But how can I be with him like that? Knowing what he's done, would have done. If he tried that, doesn't it mean he at least feels something? Maybe not love, but lust is better then nothing, right? She turned and watched Kouga at the mouth of the cave, framed against the moon.
At least Kouga admits he loves me. He said it right to my face. And if Inuyasha doesn't love me, I could be happy with Kouga. He loves me, he's a good hunter. If I agreed to be his mate, he'd be a good husband. He never insults me, or is mean to me. I could learn to love Kouga.
Fatigue finally settling in, Kagome drifted to sleep. In the back of her mind, that annoying voice snickered.
You keep telling yourself that.
Next chapter, Kagome reunites with Inuyasha! The shit will hit the