InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love Will Have Its Way ❯ The Analysis ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hi, minna!!!! I'm soooooo sorry about the long wait!!! I didn't mean to, I swear! Life's really busy for me, and I only write and update when I have spare time…. Yes, the past month has been VERY busy…

Beady - No, ur not really a pain. As a matter of fact, I'm very glad that you write me! It makes me feel guilty, and then I write some more. O, btw *hands over two small boxes* those are the remains of your mongoose and squirrel. Sorry, I wasn't home to save them from my computer guardian. Koyo (computer guardian) - They attacked!!! That's why I'm here! *flexes claws* Koneko - right then…

Once again, I'm very sorry. Soon I'll have a much easier time updating, tho!!!

On with the fic…

Love Will Have Its Way

Chapter 6

Kagome continued. "I am the Kagome Higurashi of legend, and I can prove it."

'Now there's a lead. I can prove her false, and then we can find out what her real problem is. But why would she want to pretend to be the Kagome of legend? It's such a tragic story… Probably just because of her name…' And with that, he pulled his book of ancient Japanese legends, all copied directly from their first written source. He would be the ultimate expert.

And so the quizzing began…

"How old was Kagome?"

"Fifteen at the beginning of the story."

"And Miroku?"

"He had just turned nineteen, last time I saw him."

"Sango?"

"Seventeen."

"Sorry, Kagome, but I know you made that one up; it never says!"

"It wouldn't, either. I was the only one she ever told. In her time, she was the right age for marrying, but no one, not even Miroku, had approached her. She was afraid she would be alone for the rest of her life. She didn't like the idea of being an exterminator for that long, never settling down."

"It never says that either…"

"None of our conversations at the hot springs should be in there," Kagome said pointedly.

Takuya looked closely at Kagome; she was dead serious. 'Oh my gosh… she's crazy! She truly thinks that she's Kagome! This isn't good…"

He didn't let his surprise show, though; he didn't want to worry her. You never wanted to worry people in this condition.

They continued quizzing, Kagome giving all the right answers to every question he asked as he got further into the story. Finally, he found some that she didn't know…

"What happened to Shippo in the end?"

"WHAT!?! Did something happen to him??? Was he ok? Was he unhurt?? Oh my gosh, I should have brought him with me… Well? What happened? TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Takuya, rather frightened by her sudden outburst, answered as fast as he could. This was getting scary!!! She really knew the story, and her part in it, very well…

"Don't worry, don't worry! He grew up splendidly and found a mate, who he was living happily with!"

Kagome became instantly relieved, and almost smiled at the thought of Shippo being that happy…

Takuya, however, was running out of questions. He decided to finally start setting some actual traps for her, just to prove her wrong; then, maybe he could convince her that it wasn't true - or get her in trouble for wasting his time.

"Ok, here's an easy one: who wrote the story?"

"I don't know! No one was writing it while I was there… Well, it must have been someone closely related, because otherwise they couldn't know all the details. They also would need to know how to write - that rules out Sango, Shippo, and I-" Takuya watched closely as she swallowed and stammered out the name. "Inu-yasha. They would have had to have known Shippo when he was older, so that rules out Kaede… it was probably Miroku, because he always did love legends. Unless he taught Sango to write…"

She was good. She had gotten everything right, just as well as the real Kagome would have. Could this be… the truth? No way, of course not… But she even knew the color of Miroku's rosary! (white, with just a hint of blue*) Still, he didn't let any of these thoughts show in his face. He closed the book and looked intently at her face instead. She didn't flinch, and the dead look remained in her eyes. (* going by the picture on the front of book 10. I know, the blue is there to be shading, but it just makes the story sound better, ne?)

"One last question, Kagome, and then I'll speak with your mother for a while. Mind, this is out of my own curiosity. What happened the last night that Kagome was seen?"

Kagome's face turned into a mask of shock and terror.

"It… it doesn- It doesn't say?"

"No. Miroku, who 'wrote it'**, by the way, just speculated a little bit. It just says that after that night, Inu-yasha walked around, nearly in a trance, and rarely spoke to anyone. Then he just left one day, and they never saw him again…" (**Takuya really doesn't believe the Miroku from the story wrote it. He thinks that it was a tale written for the children of the village, and whoever wrote it signed it that way to make it feel more real to them. However, he's wrong.)

"What about Ki…" Kagome closed her eyes and tried to say it. "What about Kik…"

"Kikyo?"

Kagome flinched at the name.

"…yes…" It was barely a whisper.

"No one knows what happened to her either. They think-"

Takuya was cut off by Kagome, who had finally decided to give her answer. Her eyes were squeezed shut, her words just above a whisper, as though she was remembering something she had tried hard to forget. She was in real pain. This girl needed serious help.

"That night, I couldn't sleep. I saw he wasn't there, and I…" Suddenly she stopped speaking in full sentences. It was as if she was watching it in her head and telling him what she saw. "I went looking for him… he was with her… didn't see me… chose her… was just going to take me home… No… you can't… they heard… I ran… he followed… then Ki-kikyo…" Kagome's voice broke with a sob. "... jewel used me… fixed everything… he chose right… I faded… was home… he… he just watched me cry…watched me fade… he never said goodbye…"

With that, Kagome finally broke, and burst into choking sobs. She wasn't in her right mind anymore; all she could see was flashes from that night… Inu-yasha holding Kikyo… Inu-yasha choosing her… but her mind always came back to the face he wore when she finally faded. It was a face of shock, fear, and… pain?

Takuya watched her, shocked, as tears started pouring from her eyes. This was no act; he was sure of this now.

"Kagome…?"

She couldn't control her weeping anymore. Takuya decided that he would just let her cry for a while, and talk to her mother outside his office.

"Mrs. Higurashi? May I have a word with you?"

Mrs. Higurashi looked up at the worried man in front of her.

"Yes?"

"I'm afraid Kagome needs help; serious help. She honestly believes that she's the Kagome from the legend of Inu-yasha! I'm afraid she may need to be put in an asylum. She'll be able to get the necessary help there!"

"I think that she really wants help… that's why she came today… But isn't there another way? Can't she just see a counselor?"

"Mrs. Higurashi, she doesn't know who she is!"

"She's not hurting anyone! And her name is the same… Can't she just see a regular counselor?"

"Well… I'll send you some good psychiatrists… but if anything harmful happens, to her or anyone else, resulting from this problem, then she will have to be put away."

"…I understand."

Of course, Kagome had heard every word; the doors weren't sound proof. She wasn't the only one who'd heard, either… Little did anyone know, but rumors were about to fly.

Well, there you go minna! It's not very good, but trust me, it could be worse. Anywhoo, I have to attend to the mountain of HW that I have, so I'll try to update soon!

PLEASE REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!