InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Make Do With Less ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the other characters by Rumiko Takahashi. It would be awesome if I did, but alas… I only claim credit for this fanfiction. Enjoy! ^_^

I just stared, mouth gaping, at the elegant 4-story mansion in front of me. I quickly re-read the address on my piece of paper, and matched it with the numbers nailed to a column on the massive front porch.

Can this really be it? There's no way I am related to these money-making-machines. I thought, searching my notes for any sign that proved me right. I don't know what I was expecting to magically appear on my paper. Small, blue cottage? Floral, quaint condominium? Anything that didn't say “Gigantic Pagoda” would have been suitable.

As my eyes darted from my notes to my potential new home, a cold, chilly breeze blew by me, causing stray strands of my hair to become a wall of black in my face. I reached a hand up to my face to brush aside my hair, and noticed the front door had been opened. My eyes widened as a young woman who looked to be about my age, wearing a rather skimpy French maid's outfit, appeared in the threshold of one of the massive, double-doors. She greeted me with a smile, and the paper I was holding slipped from my fingers and blew away with the wind.

“You must be Higurashi-san,” the assumed-maid took a few steps towards me. “Please, do come in. The household has been expecting you.” I thought I saw her curtsey, and she skipped away into the dim lighting of the mansion, giving me no time to respond. Talk about your average bacon-bringer's loyal assistant. She nearly acted like a servant inviting a queen to a foreign kingdom! Though, her choice in clothing wouldn't exactly fit that job description. I wondered if her “masters” would be that polite and regal.

I warily stepped up the stoop, feeling like I should be kissing the ground where I walked on instead, and froze as the first shudder of realization came over me. This is where I would be staying for the rest of my life. Whether I liked it, or not. We'll just see about that, I promised myself. If one single thing goes wrong here, I'm moving out! I'll go find some other relative, or um, rent an apartment… or… something. Yeah!

How's that for rebellious?

“Ah, Kagome-chan!” a high, chirpy voice came from around a corner. I looked up just as I was smooshed into a tight hug. “Oh, we've been expecting you- here, here, sit down! Would you like something to eat? You look so thin- surely you've been starved! Miroku, get Kagome-chan something to eat, and-“

“N-No, I'm fine. Really. Thank you, anyway,” I huffed out, and nearly recoiled when she looked back at me with pained eyes.

“Oh, alright, then.” The lady sighed, and I felt as if I had insulted her and should apologize… for not being hungry? Never mind.

The cheery lady turned to the maid and butler, who I just noticed were standing by watching this little greeting event, and said in a more stern voice, “Let the others know our guest has arrived.” The two bowed and strode off in different directions. Others? Wait, I have to go through this again, plus introductions? Oh boy, here we go. I sighed at the thought.

~~~

The sitting group around me broke into smiles and frowns. A smile from the cheery lady who I'd found out was the mother, Mrs. Takahashi, and a forced-smile from the father. The maid, Sango, beamed at me, and I almost had to cover my eyes from the bright aura she gave off. The butler, Miroku, seemed to smirk at me. Kami knows what was going through his mind.

The two sons seemed the least bit interested in my existence and would much rather have a full make-over, complete with a pedicure with hot pink nail polish, than be here at this exact moment. Anywhere but here, I guess. At least they didn't say anything- but I knew it was only a matter of time before their little rich heads exploded. What were their names? Inu-ya-ya… or something like that… and… Sessh-o-my-kami-this-is-a-long-name. Yeah, I think that was it.

The adults talked for a long time mainly to each other, in a conversation that I tuned out easily, considering they never really asked for my attention. I felt the sons' glares burning on my skin, but never looked their way.

A long, slender hallway led from the large double-doors in the front, to another pair of stained-glass doors in the very back, leading to a garden- but I couldn't see that much from where I was sitting in the family room. From what I could see of the kitchen through the archway providing passage to the hall, the kitchen was used for serving many people. With many chefs. There was a diner on the other side of the hall next to the kitchen, to seat all those guests in need of serving. Okay, if most of the family-oriented functions are on the first floor… what's on the other three? I pondered, imagining floor after floor of entertainment… maybe a whole floor dedicated to disco? With the light-up floors, and disco ball, and-

“Kagome?”

I looked up at Mrs. Takahashi and blinked. “Oh, er, yes?”

Mrs. Takahashi smiled, but her eyes frowned. “Would you mind telling us what happened?”

Again I blinked, and something caught in my throat. Unfortunately, I knew exactly what she was talking about. I took a deep breath, and nodded. “Well… It was a few days ago…”