InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ A Traitor Among Us ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


The next morning, Kagome woke in an empty bed. She heard voices in the living room, got dressed, and went out to join them. She was surprised to see InuYasha once again cooking, but she guessed it was for the best since Sango’s cooking was terrible.

He didn’t turn when she entered the room. “Good morning, sleepy head.”


“I must admit, I rather expected both of you to sleep in,” Miroku said. “After last night’s activities, that is.” Miroku let out a loud groan as Sango elbowed him.

Kagome was blushing furiously.

“Mind your own business, hentai,” Sango told him.

“My dearest Sango, I was referring to the accident, but it seems both you and Kagome thought of something else. It would appear that I am not the only hentai here,” Miroku said in his defense. He was pleased to have garnered a blush from Sango and to have deepened Kagome’s.

InuYasha went to Kagome and hugged her. “Ignore him, koibito. He’s probably just
jealous since Sango made him sleep on the floor last night.”

This time it was Miroku’s turn to blush. “How-?”


“I’m a hanyou. I hear everything. She’s right. You never should have suggested that,” InuYasha replied.

Both Sango and Miroku averted their eyes at his statement.


“What did I miss?” Kagome asked.

“Nothing,” InuYasha told her. He pressed his lips to her ear, “I’ll suggest it to you later, when we’re alone.” He growled softly as Kagome shivered slightly at his touch and at his implication. “Now let’s eat.”

Kagome cleared the table as they finished.

InuYasha went to her and handed her a credit card. “You need a dress for tonight, and Sango and Miroku need some clothes,” he told her.

Kagome started to protest.

He put a finger over her lips. “Remember, what’s mine is yours. Go have fun.”

“Thank you,” she said and kissed him softly. She left the sink and went to Sango, holding
up the card. “Are you up for some shopping?”

“Kagome I can’t-” she started.

InuYasha groaned, “Not you, too. It’s the least I can do. Please, go. Spend as much as you like. I have more money than I know what to do with, and up until recently, no one to spend it on. Besides, you can’t go around naked. If it would make you feel better, you can pay me back someday.”

“Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?” Miroku asked.

“Make sure you get the pervert some clothes too, though, I don’t think he’d be opposed to going around naked - but that is something I definitely don’t want to see.”

“Come on Sango. It’ll be fun,” Kagome wheedled. She was pleased when her friend reluctantly agreed.

InuYasha called Sesshomaru and had a car readied, and soon Sango and Kagome were off to spend what he hoped would be a lot of his money.

*****

Shippou came out of his room shortly after Kagome and Sango left.

“Did you have to be so loud last night?” he asked, a trace of a smile on his lips.

“My sentiments exactly,” Miroku agreed.

“Keh,” InuYasha replied, unable to come up with a real response. “If either of you tease Kagome about it, I am going to skin you both.”

InuYasha was surprised to find that he actually enjoyed the company of Miroku. He hadn’t had many friends, but since he met Kagome, he seemed to suddenly be surrounded by people who he felt he belonged with.

*****

Kagome and Sango sat down to have lunch. Both were having a great time on their shopping trip. Though Sango had been hesitant at first, with a little convincing Kagome got her to loosen up and enjoy the chance to shop without worrying about the money.

“I believe you owe me a little talk,” Sango said. “So, tell me all about you and InuYasha. I gather from last night that he’s pretty good.”

Kagome blushed. “More than good.”

“And?” Sango asked.

“’And’ nothing, if you aren’t going to spill about you and Miroku,” Kagome told her. “So?”

“All right, but you first,” Sango agreed.

Kagome thought for a minute. “What can I say... InuYasha - he’s just so different than what I expected. He’s amazing; so gentle and attentive. When I’m with him, I feel complete somehow. I was worried because he’s a half demon, but it has its benefits.”

“Benefits?” Sango asked.

Kagome blushed again. “I don’t have anything to compare it too from experience, but he has a certain stamina and is a little larger than I expected,” she said quietly. “Your turn. Have you and Miroku...”

“No,” Sango said. “Almost, but I just can’t until I know for sure that he is serious about us.”

Kagome nodded.

“But we have done other things.”

“And?” Kagome prompted.

“I guess him being a pervert has some advantages,” Sango admitted reluctantly.

*****

It was late afternoon when Sango and Kagome returned with several bags each, and both looked to have had a very good time. She and Kagome went to their rooms and put their things away.

Kagome had something special she didn’t want InuYasha to see until the right time. She didn’t want him to see her dress until they had to leave either.

“Have fun?” InuYasha asked when she returned from their room.

She nodded and leaned down to hug him, only to find herself pulled into his lap.

“We have to get ready soon.”

Kagome nodded.

*****

Once they had showered, Kagome ushered InuYasha out of the bathroom. She wanted to get ready without him seeing her.


He was sitting with Miroku and Sango on the sofa when she came out of their room. InuYasha couldn’t take his eyes off her.

Kagome had chosen a red dress because she knew he favored that color, and it contrasted beautifully with her light complexion and raven hair.

“Do you like it?” she asked.

He went to her, ignoring the others in the room, and wrapped his arms around her. “You’re perfect,” he whispered.

They headed for the front door.

“Don’t let the runt stay up too late, and if you need anything, just walk up the path to the right of the door.”

Sango and Miroku nodded and they left.

*****

Kagura opened the door when they knocked. “InuYasha, miko,” she said shortly. “Please, come in.”

Kagome couldn’t be sure, but she thought Kagura backed up a little as she passed.

Almost immediately, Kagome was greeted by a familiar face.

She was pulled into a warm embrace. “I didn’t get to thank you before,” Kimi said. “I owe you my life.”

“I am just happy that I was able to help,” Kagome told her.

Sesshomaru came over when he noticed InuYasha. “Leave the women to talk,” he said. “We have business.”

*****

All the men gathered in Sesshomaru’s office.

InuYasha recognized a few of the demons gathered - one of them was the neko whose mate Kagome had saved - but most he did not.

“Now that all are present, I wish to start this meeting. First, let me address the issue of my brother. I am sure many of you have noticed the change in both his appearance and his youki. I assure that what you are feeling is indeed true. He is now as powerful as any full youkai, including myself. It is my intention to formally name him second only to myself and my heir, should I be killed before conceiving a child of my own. If anyone wishes to oppose me do so now.”

Sesshomaru waited, but no one spoke up. InuYasha simply sat in stunned silence.

“Very well. I am sure you wish to know how this is possible.”

Many heads nodded.

“It has not been announced yet, but my brother has taken a miko as his mate and somehow, she has allowed the full power of his demon blood to surface without taking him over.”

“You would approve a human mate and a miko, no less, for your brother?” an older Inu Youkai asked.

“This is no ordinary miko,” Sesshomaru said. “She could prove a useful ally. I myself have witnessed her power on several occasions. She almost purified my mate unintentionally, as well as healed my brother after an attempt on his life.”

“It’s true,” a neko youkai spoke up. “She brought my son’s mate back from certain death. The neko clans are prepared to offer their support against the one who would threaten our way of life.”

“A miko healed a half-demon without purifying his youki?” the same inu asked.

“Though it was greatly diminished, you can see that he sits before you still as much a demon as he ever was,” Sesshomaru told him. Then he looked to the neko. “We are most grateful for your support. Your skills of stealth will prove most useful.”

The neko bowed his head slightly.

“Now, we must discuss what we know of this threat.”


For the first time, InuYasha found he had something to say. “I do not know much, but I may know someone who does,” he said. “I didn’t think of it until now, but this demon is trying to ally himself with the wolf demon tribe set out to keep my mate and I apart using another woman. The woman spoke of her boyfriend’s connection to this demon.”

Sesshomaru nodded. “See what you can find out from this woman,” he instructed.

The discussion went on but no one seemed to know anything more. The only good thing to come of the meeting was that all in attendance had pledged their support.

*****

There was a short break between the meeting and dinner, and InuYasha took advantage by dragging Kagome outside so they could be alone. He pulled her against his chest.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

“That’s just it,” he told her. “Since meeting you nothing has been wrong. Sesshomaru named me his second tonight. How do you do it?”

“Do what?” she asked.

“That you don’t even realize makes it more amazing,” he replied. “You make everything better without even trying. You gave me the power I always dreamed of having. My brother is actually starting to accept me. Because of you, we gained the neko clans as our allies. You make everything seem possible. All my dreams have come to life right before my eyes, and it’s all because of you.”

Kagome didn’t know what to say. “I didn’t do anything, really,” she said softly.

He shook his head. Does she really not see how incredible she truly is? Even Sesshomaru sees it. He leaned down and kissed her.

The sound of someone clearing their throat brought them out of the moment.

InuYasha turned without releasing Kagome.

“Dinner is about to be served,” a woman said.


As she and InuYasha took their seats to Sesshomaru’s right, Kagome began to feel uncomfortable. It wasn’t that most of the table would occasionally stare at her with looks impossible to read; though that was part of it. The real reason was that she had the distinct feeling that someone at the table wished her harm.

She managed to relax a little when InuYasha’s hand gripped her knee and he gave her a reassuring smile, but the feeling remained. Through the meal it got stronger, and unconsciously, her miko powers began to flare.


The table fell silent.

“InuYasha, calm your miko,” Sesshomaru said softly.

“Kagome- Kagome, look at me,” InuYasha whispered. He put his hand to the side of her face and turned her head. Her eyes were vacant and he wondered what was happening.

Slowly she blinked.

“Kagome what is it?”

She looked around and noticed everyone was staring at her. “I’m sorry,” she said. “Excuse me.” She got up and left the table followed closely by InuYasha. She went back outside to where they had been earlier.

InuYasha grabbed her shoulders. “Kagome, what is it?”

“Someone at that table is a working for the other side. He’s planning on killing me to earn favor,” she told him.

“How?” he asked.

“I had a feeling and then a vision, but not really. It’s hard to explain,” she told him.

“Do you know who it is?” he asked.

“All I saw were golden eyes and I got the feeling that this person is more than a spy. He is a traitor to his own kind,” she paused. “He’s an Inu.”

“You’re sure?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Don’t worry, koibito, I won’t let anyone hurt you. You have to tell Sesshomaru. I’ll go get him.”

InuYasha returned with his brother and Kagome explained to him what had happened.

“After dinner, there will be drinks. I want you both to go to each of the guest individually and see if you can figure out who exactly this traitor is.” Sesshomaru
looked at Kagome. “Can you do this without revealing your intentions?”

“Yes,” she replied.

“Very well. Once you are certain, come to me and I will handle this matter personally,” he told them.

They all returned to the table and finished the meal, though Kagome did more pushing her food around her plate than actual eating.

When it was over they adjourned to another room. Kagome with InuYasha by her side made their way around the room talking to those who had come to the meeting.

They approached the female inu youkai first. Kagome was almost certain that she wasn’t the one but they still had to be sure. They exchanged polite bows. The females aura was not threatening though she was projecting something Kagome sensed to be jealousy.

The two male inu youkai were standing together talking
, away from the rest of the guests. As they drew near, Kagome felt the same malice that had caused her so much distress before. InuYasha is right beside you. He won’t anything happen. You can do this. They were still several feet away when Kagome stopped.

She turned to InuYasha. “I know,” she mouthed silently, knowing that her whisper would have been heard by the traitor.

He nodded and led her over to Sesshomaru.

“What have you discovered?” he asked.

“It is the older inu youkai,” she told him. “The one with the single star on his forehead.”

“You are certain?” he asked.

Kagome nodded.

“Very well. You will both follow me.”

Sesshomaru approached the Inu Youkai. “Kenomaru, I give you one chance to confess your betrayal.”


Kenomaru narrowed his eyes at the miko. That bitch was indeed troublesome. “Surely you would not doubt my loyalty on the word of human miko, no better than a whore. She who would consort with one demon and mate another.”


InuYasha started growling loudly. He grabbed the offending demon by the throat, ready to rip it out, but Sesshomaru’s voice broke through the haze of red InuYasha was seeing.

“InuYasha release him.”

Reluctantly InuYasha let him go.

“I warn you Kenomaru, speak ill of my brother’s mate again and the words will be your last. The fact that you would speak of her association with another demon before my brother proves you to be a traitor. I dare any to question that this Sesshomaru could not detect whether or not the miko was indeed pure when my brother mated her. Now speak and perhaps I will spare your life.”


Kagome was more than a little embarrassed to have them making announcements about her “purity,” but she guessed she should be glad that Sesshomaru was protecting her honor.

“It is not too late,” Kenomaru said. “You could still join with us. Your power is great and would be a valuable asset. You would be rewarded greatly.”

“You would think to bribe this Sesshomaru into bending to the will of a demon so low as not to make himself known to his enemies?” Sesshomaru scoffed. “Tell me what you know.”

“I will tell you nothing,” Kenomaru replied. “Kill me, if it is your wish.”

When Sesshomaru spoke next, his voice was like ice, and it sent a chill along Kagome’s spine. “You will tell me all that you know. There are fates far worse than death reserved for those who would betray their own kind.” He turned to Kagome. “You must subdue him to ensure he does not escape before he is taken to a secure location for questioning.”

“I don’t know that I can,” she said.

Sesshomaru moved beside her and leaned down. “This demon would kill you,” he said. “He would kill InuYasha. See how he looks at you even now? Feel his youki.”

Kagome opened herself to the youkai before her.

“You see he wants to destroy you. He cannot stand InuYasha. He sees only a worthless half-breed.” Sesshomaru began to back away from her and the power she was projecting. “You know the truth of my words. He would revel in the blood of your mate. You must stop him.”

That was all it took, and suddenly, Kagome was surrounded by a bright pink light. All the youkai in the room moved away from her, except InuYasha. She threw out her hand and the light extended, striking Kenomaru in the chest. InuYasha caught her as she started to slide to the
floor.


If any of the demons in the room had doubted the power of the miko before them, none did now. Kenomaru was on the cusp between life and death. This young woman had nearly purified a very powerful full youkai on the word that he was a threat to her mate. A few who had been contacted by this unnamed demon and had been unsure in their choice to side with Sesshomaru were now glad they had. It became clear that this girl had been able to detect a traitor among them.


Guards came and took Kenomaru away.

Kagome may have had an idea of what fate awaited the demon, but most of the youkai knew for certain and all were thankful not to be the ones facing the demon lord’s considerable wrath.

Kagome was weakened by the use of her powers, but still conscious, and InuYasha helped her return to her feet.

Sesshomaru stood before them. “Your presence is no longer required,” he told them. He then looked exclusively at InuYasha. “You are to find out what you can before the end of the week.”

InuYasha nodded.

They left and returned to their house.

*****

He was glad that Kagome was too tired to ask him what Sesshomaru had been talking about. InuYasha was sure she would only be upset.

It seemed that everyone else had already gone to bed.


As Kagome laid beside InuYasha, she found herself wondering how her life had managed to start spinning so terribly out of control. On the surface, it seemed to have started with InuYasha coming into her life, but in truth, it went back much further.

She hadn’t even realized she had spiritual powers until her fifteenth birthday, but since that day, strange things had started happening around her. She had started feeling like something was missing in her life, like there was something she was supposed to be doing. Then, she had started to notice youkai. She probably would have thought she was going crazy if her mother hadn’t stepped in and assured her that youkai did exist.


InuYasha could feel Kagome’s unrest and knew that after using her power, she needed to sleep. He pulled her against his chest and started growling softly, helping her find sleep.


Kagome drifted off only to be greeted by an unknown voice.

**

“Child of light, pure in both heart and spirit, it is time to awaken the past.”

“What? How? I don’t understand,” Kagome called.

“Destiny awaits you and those that have bound their souls to yours in love. You alone carried them with you.”

“I still don’t understand,” Kagome replied.

“When you return to the beginning with those who bore witness to the end, then you will find the answers you seek. Go to the Goshinboku with those who were once the exterminator, the monk, the orphaned kitsune, and the betrayed inu hanyou. Only together can you re-find the past.”

“Why is this happening?” Kagome asked.

“That too will be revealed. Go soon, before it becomes too late.”

**

With that, the presence around her faded and she jerked herself awake. She hoped that she hadn’t woken InuYasha, but of course, that was wishful thinking. She found herself being pulled back to his chest.

“Kagome?” he asked.

“It’s all right,” she replied. “I was dreaming.”

“Was it-” he started.

“It was nothing bad,” she interrupted, “but I’d rather wait until morning to talk about it.”

“All right,” he said. “Then go back to sleep.”

“Goodnight, InuYasha,” she whispered.

He responded with a soft kiss, “Night.”