InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Many Thoughts ❯ Kikyo ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, here it is, the final chapter of this arc. I don't feel Kikyo is really all that evil, but I think her motivations are not all that honest. Especially now. Please! R&R!!!

Many Thoughts

Chapter 3: Kikyo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kikyo gently touched the spot where Kagome had healed her. `It's still warm.'

One of Kikyo's gliders slid past her. She reached out and touched the soul. The glow faded as she absorbed the soul into her body.

`That girl, she is a fool. She is so willing to sacrifice anything to make others happy, even her own happiness.' Kikyo smiled down at her reflection in a small stream. `That's one of the reasons I love this new body. I can do what I wish, feel what I wish and it doesn't matter who is hurt. When I was a priestess all I could do was worry for others. That's why Inu Yasha was so important. If I could convince him to turn human, to be my companion, the shikon jewel would disappear and I could be a normal woman. He understood my loneliness and I enjoyed spending time with him. Was that too much to ask? To have someone I could share with and be an ordinary woman with?'

Kikyo gazed up at the stars and touched the warm spot in her chest again, `That girl. She loves him. It's so obvious. And he … he has softened so much. His face is gentler, his eyes … he conceals less. He's more open with his thoughts and feelings and it's because of that girl. Is that what I would have done eventually? Would that have been my job? Nay, I doubt I could have done what she has accomplished. Inu Yasha cared for me, but I do not think what we shared would have done what she has done. That first time, when I tried to take him with me to hell … it was that girl who was able to break the enchantment I had over him. His thoughts of her always free him. They are so close and yet, he still comes chasing after me.'

Kikyo laughed, a cold sound echoing into the night, `Inu Yasha is a fool. He has this girl who loves him unconditionally, loves him in spite of his being a half-breed. And yet he betrays her time and again to come after me. And the laughable part of it all is that he loves her as well.'

Kikyo bent down and kneeled at the streams edge, trailing her fingers in the cool water, `After I have destroyed Naraku, I will take Inu Yasha with me. He and I will be together. And perhaps I will benefit from all this girl has accomplished.

I wonder if I ever really loved him. We never did say the words to each other, and yet … our feelings were strong. But no, I would not have done what this girl has done time and again. Perhaps what can be said is, yes, we loved each other, but as good friends, companions. That is more than many can say who spend their lives together. I felt that would be enough. Love seemed an intangible thing, unattainable for one like me. Perhaps we both felt love was a weakness. It is no wonder he flees from her.'

Kikyo smiled sadly, `It is no wonder she is Naraku's greatest fear … and mine. Every time the girl gets involved in a fight, Inu Yasha's strength increases ten-fold. And her untrained miko powers …'

Kikyo stood from the waters edge and began to walk deeper into the darkness of the forest, `It is almost funny really. He considers love a weakness and yet, she is and would be his greatest strength.'

Kikyo's hand reached up again to her chest, `This girl … I must be careful, must guard against her. I will see if I can drive a bigger wedge between them, to protect myself.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know it's shorter than the other two, but I felt that was the right length for it! Let me know what you think!

E-mail: Soulsearcher_1219@hotmail.com