InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Masked Pretense ❯ Post 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

¥ Masked Pretense ¥

tiarella_cordifolia

[ TiarellaCordifolia ]

Growing up, I never understood much about sibling rivalry. I loved my brother Souta very much so, and the affection was returned more or less. I could never understand how people can hate their own blood and flesh. Until now. That is, until Kikyo came back. Now, whether I wish it or not, I am forced to learn about sibling rivalry first hand, because if not, I will lose the one I love, forever. ~Kagome

~ Inuyasha Fanfiction

[Sess/Kag ] Rated PG13 to be safe

~ Definitions:

PRETENSE- The act of pretending; a false appearance or action intended to deceive

INUYASHA FANFICTION- Literary work based on an existent work called "Inuyasha", therefore meaning the original characters were not developed by the author. Often used to warn lawyers that they may not and can not sue the author of fanfics because they already hold and do not claim hold on the original work or characters, but do hold claim to the main theme and plot or any new areas relating towards it.

SESS/KAG- The favored pairing in a literary work. Sesshoumaru and Kagome.

RATED PG13- Guidelines for those under the age 13 to beware of situations that may not be fit for their viewing.

()() Author's Note: I am terribly sorry for not updating sooner. HS is really dragging me down. And I read this fanfic and discovered how well I've written the introduction and how little reviews I've received. Therefore, I am writing one more chapter, hopefully great still, and if I still get little reviews, this fanfic will just have to go through a disappointing ending. It's such a shame really, since it's so beautifully written if I saw so myself. Ofcourse, you can always review to reassure me that it does not have to be put to a close…. Well, anyways, I'm sorry I haven't updated sooner, I lost my overview and don't know what to write, and I still don't, cause it was based on a dream I had….so this is just like a free-write so don't blame me if it's bad. It's your fault for not encouraging me to find it. ^.- [cough]

=============
#Chapter 3 #

The air buzzed with the energy given off from the cheap fluorescent lights hanging above them. Silence echoed throughout the hallways and not a sound was to be heard except for the muffled voices of teaching.

It was a most disturbing moment.

Kagome shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. Amusement danced around in his mesmerizing golden eyes as his lips slightly twitched in the direction of a smile. And for Sesshoumaru, the renowned exotic dancer, well, not literally, it was a rare feat indeed. Almost.

"Yes, me. How have you been Kagome?"

His whispery, yet in every aspect, masculine voice sent shivers down her spine. It has been a long time since she has saw him. Blushing, Kagome glanced down at her feet, entranced by the tiles on the floor as she tried desperately to find an answer to his question without embarrassing herself.

"Ah, it has been quite well, stressful, but well enough."

She felt his inquiring gaze on her form as seeing to she still avoided his gaze. They were still in front of Kaede's door, and conversing during the 5 minutes before class after the warning bell would not be noted as a good action. In fact, she should be guiding him to class and explaining what-

"Why haven't you gone to camp this year?"

She sighed. Oh, well, can't blame her for trying to avoid the topic. She lifted her gaze from the floor to look in his eyes while speaking.

"Annou, I've….been met with stressful…problems that needed to be dealt with. I was terribly disappointed to not be able to go this year and see you Sesshoumaru-san," she said.

He nodded. "Please, call me Sesshoumaru."

Surprise flickered on her face, but there was no time for this, they needed to get to class. The ending bell has just sounded and people were already filing out of their classrooms towards their next class.

"Please, follow me, we must be getting to our next class. How about we continue to catch up during our next period, seeing as to we both have the same schedules? " She smiled warmly. It was nice to have a friend again. Someone to talk to other than about her life with or without Inuyasha. Someone to spend time with and forget about her worries.


This time, Sesshoumaru did smile as he nodded once more and followed her to their next class.


---

Chattering rose to an extreme volume as the two entered the classroom side by side. Chaos was everywhere seeing to the fact that the teacher was too busy setting up.

Suddenly, silence ensued as their presence by the door was noted. Everyone turned and stared at them, that is to say, everyone except the teacher who was still looking for her pen underneath the desk.

Grinning sheepishly, Kagome stepped slightly behind Sesshoumaru, as if he would block her from everyone's questioning gaze. It was quite ironic seeing to Sesshoumaru was the new one to the school and it should be her protecting him since not many people welcomed newbies to their school. But then again, Sesshoumaru was a different case entirely. He had an impressing yet intimidating build from dancing that made the male population hesitant to pick on him and made the female population drool at his feet. So perhaps it wasn't that ironic for Kagome to hide behind him, after all more than half the class were older than her seeing that she was placed in an advanced class.

A cough interrupted the unflinching stares as the attention switched immediately towards the teacher. Blushing slightly for her unorganized state, she turned towards the two with a serious look.

"Well, what have we got here? A transfer student?" She looked at Kagome expectantly, not quite sure who she was since she addressed her students by numbers instead of names.

Timidly, Kagome stepped out from behind Sesshoumaru's protective stance. However, she remained closer to him than needed, as if the occupants of the room were just dying to rip her apart to get to the new student; whether to beat the living hell out of him or to kiss him she did not know nor did she really want to know. Clearing her throat, but before she could reply, Sesshoumaru spoke with his clear, rich tone which demanded respect from everyone, including his elders.

"Indeed. I am Sesshoumaru Hanajima. I have recently transferred here and am to be travelling with Higurashi-san until further notice."

"I see. Um, well, fell free to sit wherever, but there is an empty seat next to young Higurashi if you wish to be seated with her, seeing as to the two of you are already aquatinted." She frowned at his lack of respect, transfer students were always a bother.

Sesshoumaru nods in appreciation and the two sat down in their seats. The two sat stiffly as talk resumed, this time however, about the new transfer student. Bit and pieces were sent their way, and not all pleasant. The males sent hostile glances towards Sesshoumaru and the females, towards Kagome. Kagome shifted in her seat, unsure of what to do. However, annoyed at the lack of respect towards himself and seeing Kagome's unease, Sesshoumaru sent them all a silent glare and the gossip stopped. He grinned. After all, he was a Hanajima, and deserved respect from his peers if not from his superiors, not saying that the teacher had anything he did not.

The teacher blinked. For once, the class was under control. She grinned. Maybe, just maybe, instead of bringing trouble, this time the new student will bring about a greater change for the student population. And so she proceeded with her class with a lighter bounce in her step.

---

"Awww….gosh! I don't think I can stand looking at food again after that lesson on fungi. I mean, ew!"

Sesshoumaru almost chuckled at Kagome's behavior. It has been a while since he had felt so at ease, In fact, it has been quite a while he has felt anything like this at all after the last time he saw her at camp. Speaking of which she still owed him a talk.

"Hrm….well, we have free this period before our performing arts classes, which should be a breeze for us neh Sesshoumaru?" She beamed at him. "Sesshoumaru was always the best at dancing, it's no wonder we both have the same elective courses! We also have art together!"

He smiled at her. Wasn't he so glad right now that he choose that extra class even though art was not necessarily his strong point in the artistic business?

"Indeed. And seeing as it is a free period, how say you we find somewhere to sit and catch up on lost time?"

"That would be a great idea!" And so saying, she grabbed his hand and ran outside towards the park. A secluded area to talk to Sesshoumaru. Boy, was it great to have a friend again.

~ ~

Plopping down, the two sat under a tree staring out towards the river. A pretty view. Kagome sighed. This is just what she needed. A distraction from Inuyasha. The two just sat like that side by side, enjoying each other's presence. The two have been through a lot apart from the other, and though they were but mere acquaintances, the two have always seemed to be at ease around the other.

"You must be wondering why I didn't go back to camp this summer," started Kagome. Her voice quiet and delicate. All Sesshoumaru did was nod, staring out into the ocean, once more emotionless. He was always so collected, and the only time he was at ease was when he was dancing. The same goes for Kagome. They first noticed each other after Sesshoumaru performed on stage in camp, with Kagome towards the side. It was her number up next, and she performed with equal elegance and grace in her act. Though they performed in different areas of art, and Sesshoumaru more experienced in the area of performing arts than she, the two immediately saw through their urge in their artistic pursuing. It was something they both turned to when they needed something to distract them from their problems. Something to bring comfort to them when no one else can. And thus, it was after that performance that the two have become acquainted. Neither ever talked much about their own lives. They talked about art instead. And within each other, they found someone who could relate to themselves, even without knowing their true selves, for they understood each other. And it was a rare, special thing. A special bond.

"We never really talk to each other outside of art. This seems quite, different, now that we are on new grounds." Kagome stated, deciding to ignore the topic of her not attending to camp altogether.

"Indeed."

Again, no one spoke. Nothing but the wind broke the stillness and tranquility of the peace.

Kagome leaned on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. This position brought no discomfort to either of them. They had known each other for at least 3 years, outside of their normal lives, but still, they had known each other for 3 years nonetheless. And though it may have looked suspicious to others, it was just a comforting gesture for the both of them.

"It was always such a relief after talking to you Sesshoumaru. Even though we don't talk about our problems we both knew we had, you always seemed to be able to outweigh my burdens. I missed talking to you Sesshoumaru-san."

"I missed talking to you as well Kagome."

"Now that you're attending my high school, maybe you should talk to me more. And perhaps, we can get acquainted outside of art, seeing that we now have academic courses together as well as artistic courses together."

"I would like that."

Kagome smiled, not bothered by his short responses, knowing that he was not much of a social creature. Somehow, just having him here, made her world seem right and her problems seemed miles away.

"I have a feeling we're going to be the best of friends Sesshoumaru-san."

And he smiled.

---

---

-End of Post 3-

#Author's Note#

Masked Pretense is a Sess/Kag fic. It starts out Inu/Kag though. With a tragedy. It's an alternate universe, alternate pairing fic. So be warned.

#Click the Button below!#


Review! =) Remember, if I don't get enough reviews, this fanfic dies. It needs your support. Special thanks to Tiger Tiger2 for putting me on your favorite stories list. =) I love you very much for doing so. And for reviewing the day I updated. Made me happy. ^-^ And pour toi, this fic will not die. =)