InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Miroku's Lyric ❯ Interlude- Snow ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

Interlude- Snow

-

 

-

 

"Baby just hold me,

Simply control me,

Because your arms,

They keep away the lonlies,

When I look into your eyes,

Then I realize,

All I need is you in my life,

All I need is you in my life..."

-Never Felt This Way- Alicia Keys

 

-

 

 

-

 

 

I am Akamatsu Miroku.

 

 

The young man looked up at the skies, its grey cloulds heavy with promise of snow. He leaned against the window sill, his body chilled by the early morning temperature, a smile painted on his face. It was still slightly dark, the foliage coated with frost, giving the backyard a surreal appearance. And from his place on the two story window, he could see a young woman sitting under one of the trees.

 

When people look at me, they see a lazy bum. People only see what they want to see in people, it gives them a false sense of security to not know. The media covers up most of the wrongdoing in the world, supposedly to keep people safe from the evil in the world. But does that really make the world a better place?

 

Before he knew it, he had traveled down the stairs. She had been acting strangely, keeping to herself more than usual. It as almost she was vacant, trapped in some deep though that wouldn't release her from its grasp.

 

 

But then there is Sango Takahashi...

 

She glanced up at him, and before he knew it, she had her emotions had gone from morose to suprised to content. It almost as if she had painted the face on herself within the blink of an eye. But she was too late, and even so, he had come to read her too well.

 

Despite her efforts to hide them, her emotions were almost evident, practically wearing them on her sleeves. But when he caught her alone, she carried the most tragic smile. He found it on both Sango and her brother, as if both had been yanked into adulthood too fast, and seemed out of place, but couldn't return to that state of mind. They had expierienced too much. That's why they seemed so emotionally dependent on each other.

 

It reminded him of himself. After seeing the marks that lay upon Kohaku's wrist, he had known something was wrong with both of them, their broken smiles only a facade, hiding their own sorrows.

 

But neither of them could hide their emotions well. Sango was better at it, having to be so social all the time. Kohaku, however wore his emotions on his sleeve, teh red lines on his wrist full proof of that. It was also evident in the sketches he made, intricate drawings that took most years upon years to learn with proper schooling, he himself had learned it within only a few years with none.

 

"Miroku, can I ask you something?" He looked at her curiously, not expecting her to speak to him.

 

"I remember you saying that you became homeless you tired of the way the world treated people," she looked away, "there has to be more to it than that. I mean, people all come to realize that at one point or another, but they just accept it and live with it? That can't be the only reason you left."

 

A long uncomfortable silence passed between them. Sango tilted her head nervously, gazing up at him. His eyes were hidden by his unruly bangs, a soft, sad smile present on his face.

 

"I used... to be sick," he whispered softly, "My heart had become useless to me. It was just me and my father, and we didn't have a lot of money..."

 

"I'm sorry, your insurance company won't cover you."

 

"Goddammit, forget about the money! My nine-year-old son is dying and all you care about is money!"

 

"There are no donors available for you, and even if we had a heart for your son, which your lack of a large financial income, it would be too risky. We are going to release him, sir. Spend time with him while you can, all he'll keep doing while you're fighting me is become more and more fatigued, until he will fall asleep, and not wake up again..."

 

He forced his eyes shut. "I was dying and all they cared about was getting their money. Do you know how cruel the human race has to be to trade a child's life for several thousand dollars? As I grew up, I became less and less suprised at the fact. A spieces who laughs at pain, who are selfish enough detach themselves from those who are lower than them, to kill thousands viciously and still sleep at night, a race that can pretend everything will be alright as long as they're financially stable. Wars, famine, disease, millions dying and no one doing anything about it. Children watching their parents murdered, parents watching their children dragged away into servitude right before their eyes, people waiting an endless line to be slaughtered. Killed futures, lost dreams, broken spirits, and no one really cares. It's like... we have no hearts..."

 

Sango stared at him, a mixture of shock and sympathy evident on her face, silent tears slowly making her way down her face. Hesitantly, she asked, "What... what happened to... your father?"

 

He smiled, pressing his hand over his chest softly. "He saved me."

 

And to this day, I can still hear the very last thing he said to me...

 

"Become... happy..."

 

Slience passed between the two. Sango merely stared at the man before her. Now she understood, it all made perfect sense. He had destined himself to wander forever, to live in eternal solitude until he achieved true enlightenment. He lived a half life, a cursed life, to only end his infinite journey when his body could no longer go on with him, and even then, his soul would forever wander.

 

In a last act of desperation, she ran to him, clutching him tightly with every once of strength she had, tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

 

He stared at her blankly, his arms hanging limp as she held him, small specks of white atop her head. He hadn't even realized it had started snowing, the first snow no less.

 

"You should save your tears... for someone worthy of them," he whispered, wrapping his arms around her as the snow fell around them.

 

Her response was quick and certain. "I did."

 

 

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

-

 

The interludes are supposed to be short, in case anyone wondered.

 

Anyway, we've gotten into Miroku, and I really worked hard to make this just right. This story, unlike my others, has real feeling to it, which is why I'm proud. It provide that happily ever after, and it doesn't provide the love at first sight. It shows real human emotion, real life issues. I used Miroku and Sango because, unlike the majority of other characters in anime, they act like real people, with real emotions, real burdens. But the most amazing thing is, is the fact that they can carry it with most, if not full, emotion stability.

 

Preview of Next Chapter:

 

I'm not going to say much, but I am going to say this. It is THE chapter. Not the climax of the plot, but the climax of the romance, which I know a lot of you have wanted.

 

It is going to introduce several new characters. First of all Rin has returned, and is going to play an eleven-year-old (I changed the first part of chapter one just for that). And of course you can't bring in Rin without Sesshoumaru, and Kagura (who wanted to fit into the story). And YES, Sesshoumaru and Kagura ARE going to be a "couple", mostly because people seem to treat her like Sesshoumaru's personal STALKER.

 

And for those of you who all for Sesshoumar/Rin couples, I will say right off that I don't do that pairing for two reasons:

 

Considering it's the girl he's practically raising, that would kind've mark him as a pedophile.

 

2)Why would you want to tarnish something like a cute father/daughter with something like a more, can I say mature relationship? I love that odd little ragtag family they've got going on, it's just to cute. ^_^

 

And as for you Sesshoumaru/Kagome fans. I have read some stories with that pairing, being the open-minded person I am. I don't like them because they most of the authors seem to have VERY little faith in Inuyasha, AND they pratically turn Sesshoumaru into Kagome's bitch (no pun intented). Besides, in the whole series, how much interaction have they actually had? You can't build a relationship on a paragraph.

 

This is JUST my opinion, I'm trying to shoot any of you people down. I won't delve into this, because I'm getting off the subject.

 

PS: If you have e-mailed me wanting to see my sketches, and have not recieved them, please log-out, review as an anonymous user, and put the e-mail address in the little bar. In every review I've gotten, the second half of the address was cut off.

 

Posted 11/7/04