InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mood Swings ❯ A Frustrating Argument ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi.  I do not profit from these fics.
 
 
Chapter 3 - A Frustrating Argument (yellow)
 
She couldn't believe what she'd done! What in the world had she been thinking, following a horny demon deep into the woods while letting him think he was going to get some?! She was lucky he hadn't killed her when she whipped out the playing cards. Of course, it was rather amusing to see him attempting to hide his frustration and confusion, but still… was she insane?
 
Now that she'd had some time to think about it, Kagome was the one frustrated and confused. She couldn't figure out what could possibly have caused Sesshoumaru to be interested in her sexually! He hated humans. He certainly didn't fuck them! She hadn't been able to look at him since it dawned on her without getting nervous and it seemed like everyone had noticed it but him. She glanced to the side again before quickly averting her eyes, having found Sesshoumaru looking at her when she tried to peek secretly at him.
 
-
 
Sesshoumaru held back a small smirk. The miko had been sneaking peeks at him for days now, ever since their little misunderstanding. He still had no idea how it had occurred, but he'd had little time to ponder it, having been focused entirely on the thought that Kagome's interest in him seemed to have skyrocketed. Who would have thought that coming on to her and looking like a fool would be a good way to get her attention?
 
He wondered if she even realized what he'd intended with his offer of assistance. She didn't seem stupid, not by a long shot, but she could be fairly naïve and oblivious at times. Perhaps this was one of them. But if that were the case then why would she suddenly be unable to keep her eyes off of him? No, he was fairly certain that she'd simply gotten nervous and backed out at the last second. She was a virgin after all. It had been foolish of him to try to push her into something she wasn't ready for. He should have known better. She needed for him to take things slowly.
 
He watched as she ran shaking fingers through her hair, catching sight of the ring, the stone glowing a bright yellow. He didn't need to check the scroll. This one he remembered. She was feeling calm and relaxed. This time he allowed a smug smirk to show. She was calm and relaxed in his presence, like she was certain he could and would protect her should anything dangerous approach.
 
The longer he watched her, though, the more he began to question the ring's accuracy. She appeared to be anything but calm and relaxed. She looked more like she was ready to crawl right out of her skin! Was it possible that the witch had fooled him, had given him a worthless bauble instead of a powerful mood interpreting device? If she had, the old woman would die a slow and painful death as punishment.
 
-
 
“Yo, Kagome!” Inuyasha hollered from his place several feet in front of the ragtag group. “What the fuck is your problem?”
 
“Huh?” Kagome asked, startled by the question, having been buried deep in her thoughts.
 
“What's your problem? You sense a shard or what?”
 
The miko took a moment to concentrate, scanning the area and coming up empty. “No, Inuyasha. Why?”
 
“Then why the hell are you so twitchy?”
 
Shippo hopped from Miroku's shoulder to Kagome's and studied her face closely. “Are you alright? You seem kinda upset.”
 
-
 
Now Sesshoumaru was definitely questioning the ring's accuracy. It wasn't just him. She seemed off to others in the group as well, others who knew her far better than he did. He shot a look at Jaken that froze the little kappa in his tracks, a look that promised death simply because the taiyoukai was feeling rather cranky.
 
-
 
“I'm fine, Shippo. I don't know. I guess I just have a lot on my mind. I've got a big test coming up and I haven't gotten a chance to study at all,” she lied. Sure, she did have a ton of homework and studying to do and yes, she did have a huge exam in the very near future, but that wasn't why she was acting the way she was. No, she was acting `twitchy', as Inuyasha had put it, because of Mr. tall, pale, and handsome.
 
She needed to know what was up with him! Sure, screwing with his head by changing the scroll was fun and all, but she still had no idea why he would go to the trouble of having Rin give her the demon version of a mood ring. Add to that his sudden physical interest in her and Kagome's brain was sizzling in her skull like eggs in a hot frying pan.
 
“Perhaps we should return to Kaede's village and allow Lady Kagome the time she needs to prepare for her exam,” Miroku suggested politely, hoping his words would distract the woman beside him just long enough so he could…
 
SMACK!
 
“It was worth it,” the stunned monk muttered before his legs went out from under him and he collapsed into a pile of unconscious pervert.
 
“Serves you right,” Sango huffed before turning her attention to her good friend. “A nice long, hot bath wouldn't be a bad thing either, right Kagome?”
 
Kagome grinned. “Yeah, a bath sounds wonderful. We don't have to head back yet though. If I can just get in some studying before it gets dark every night I might manage to skate by with a C.” The confused looks on her companions' faces told her she needed to rephrase. “I mean I should do alright on the exam… I guess.”
 
She couldn't help but look again at the taiyoukai who occupied her thoughts, ripping her eyes off him when she was once again caught in the act.
 
“If the miko requires time to prepare for this `exam',” he said the word carefully, not entirely sure what she meant by it and trying hard not to look like an idiot in front of her, “then we shall make camp earlier in the day to ensure daylight remains.”
 
It was very clearly a declaration rather than a suggestion and Inuyasha snarled in anger, refusing to allow his half-brother to give orders in his pack. The hanyou completely missed it as Kagome blushed at Sesshoumaru's words, thrilled that he actually seemed to care, though unsure why that thrilled her to begin with.
 
“Who died and left you in charge?” Inuyasha barked angrily.
 
“Do you really wish to challenge this Sesshoumaru's authority over you, half-breed? I am not only the older sibling, which automatically names me alpha, but I am a taiyoukai to your mere hanyou and the Lord of these lands you now travel, making me your Lord. You remain alpha of this little pack only because I allow it.”
 
“Bullshit!” Inuyasha yelled, hand on his sword. “I don't give a fuck who or what you are! You don't make the decisions around here!”
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome whined. “Do you have to do this? It's fine, really. You don't have to stop early if you don't want to. Just don't fight.”
 
Sesshoumaru visibly frowned. Did the miko not just say she needed daylight hours in which to prepare for the exam she was so obviously worried over? Why did she refuse his attempt at acquiring for her just that? Did she not think he could win a battle against his half-brother?
 
Inuyasha growled. “What, you don't think I can kick his pompous ass?”
 
Kagome's shoulders slumped and she turned her back to them both. “I am so tired of the tension. Just because Sesshoumaru said something doesn't mean he was giving orders and just because I don't want you to fight doesn't mean I think you'd lose. I just don't want you to fight, period! The two of you are going to make me crazy! At least Sesshoumaru isn't acting like a jealous child. Why do you have to be in charge anyway? It's not like you make the most brilliant decisions!” The miko turned on her heel and stalked off of the dirt road they'd been traveling and into the forest.
 
Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru both watched as she disappeared into the distance before focusing on each other. “This is all your fault, you bastard! You just can't stand that I'm the leader of this pack. Why can't you keep your fucking nose in your own business and stay out of mine and Kagome's! If she wanted to stop early all she needed to do was tell me. She doesn't need you butting in!”
 
The taiyoukai's expression remained blank, but the anger visible in his eyes grew as the hanyou continued to scream at him with such disrespect in both his words and his tone. “Unless you wish for this Sesshoumaru to demonstrate his dominance over you, it would be wise for you to cease your behavior now.”
 
Both brothers started to draw their swords, the action interrupted by Inuyasha's sudden very magnetic-like attraction to the ground, hitting it with a loud crash followed by a string of curses. Kagome appeared out of the trees once more and pointed a finger angrily at Sesshoumaru. “I may not be able to subjugate you, but I promise you I can find a way to make your life a living hell too. Both of you are going to stop this right now. I appreciate you trying to help and yes, Inuyasha overreacted, but then you did too. We can't do this. We can't travel together and be allies if you two are going to fight at the drop of a hat. Now we're going to make camp so I can study and that's final!”
 
Sesshoumaru would never have allowed anyone to speak to him in such a way under ordinary circumstances, but as it was he was trying to get in good with the miko and killing her would put a definite cramp in his style. Inuyasha gave in simply because he didn't want her to say that horrible word again. Camp was made in absolute silence, no one wanting to incur the miko's wrath. Hopefully she'd cool off soon and everyone could stop walking on eggshells.