InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mood Swings ❯ A Squirming Taiyoukai ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi.  I do not profit from these fics.
 
Chapter 6 - A Squirming Taiyoukai (Indigo)
 
Kagome turned on her heel and walked away in the opposite direction than Inuyasha had gone, tossing her backpack up against a tree trunk and sitting down beside it. She dug through her bag for a minute and pulled out a heavy textbook, all her motions fast and rough. She flipped through the pages until she found her spot and stared at the book, obstinately ignoring everything and everyone around her.
 
Sesshoumaru looked around with obvious discomfort, not even bothering to try to hide it. He could see the color of the ring and he knew he was in trouble. Its current shade of indigo was the one color he knew he never wanted to see, at least when she was focused on him. Kagome angry with him was the last thing he wanted. How was he to make any kind of progress if she was pissed?
 
Yes, he could finally admit it to himself. It was a little late in the game, but at least he had figured out what he wanted, what he intended to do with her once he solved the puzzle that was Kagome. He now understood his curiosity and interest in her, his obsession really. He wanted her for his own. He wanted her to be his mate. Sure, she was absolutely nuts, frustrating beyond all comprehension, and worst of all, human, but he wanted her anyway and now that he'd figured that out he would do anything to make it happen. She wasn't the average human anyway, far from it.
 
His father had to be laughing from his grave. Not only did he fall for a human woman, something he'd always sworn would never happen, but he fell for one that easily could and often did drive him insane. The fates could be cruel but he wasn't going to complain. Kagome made him feel things he'd never known possible, all without the slightest bit of effort, and he would never give that up, not even for his sanity. What did he need that for anyway? It wasn't like he was using it. It was just sitting in a corner gathering cobwebs.
 
Now he just needed to figure out how to fix things. He'd known the moment the words passed his lips that he shouldn't have said it. He knew that it sounded bad, hell, it was bad, but it was the truth. Still, now he'd hurt her feelings, angered her, and he needed to find a way to get back on her good side again. He couldn't court her as his intended if she wouldn't even look at him, and he certainly couldn't mate her. If only he'd thought before he spoke!
 
-
 
Kagome peeked over the top of her book at the obviously worried taiyoukai. She wasn't really angry. She was actually quite happy. Sure, it was a little insulting that Sesshoumaru had actually tried not to be interested in her, but in saying so he admitted that he was, indeed, interested. That knowledge was a huge relief. Now she knew for sure, no more guessing, that he liked her.
 
He liked her! Lord Sesshoumaru of the Western Lands, ice prince and renowned human hater, liked her! There was no longer any question about it. He'd come right out and said it! And he obviously liked her a lot if nothing could make him stop being interested. Everything suddenly made sense and all the confusion and frustration flowed out of her to leave her calm and relaxed. Whatever happened from this point forward was all good in her mind.
 
She no longer had to worry about what in the world was going on in his head. She didn't have to try and interpret his subtle looks and little gestures. She didn't have to mull over what every little thing might mean. Even the ring made some kind of sense now. He liked her and needed to understand her better. He obviously didn't have a lot of experience with humans and even she could admit she changed moods like the wind changed directions on a blustery day.
 
She could see how he might want a little help. It wasn't like he could just come out and ask someone about her. Who would he have asked? Inuyasha? Ha! The hanyou would have flipped out, just like he had a little while ago, and he certainly wouldn't have given his older brother any kind of useful advice. Miroku, well, he was too much of a pervert to expect he'd give a serious response. Shippo was just a kid and if Sesshoumaru had stooped so low as to ask Jaken for romantic advice then they would both have a problem.
 
So Kagome decided that she would forgive him for the gift with an ulterior motive. That didn't, however, mean she was going to tell him she knew about it quite yet or let him in on her changes to the scroll. No, he needed to squirm for a bit longer.
 
And squirming he was! It was obvious he regretted his words and now was trying to think his way out of it. Kagome fought back a grin and looked at the ring. Seeing the color made the urge to grin grow even stronger. The pretty indigo stone meant she was calm, and she was, more so than she'd been in a long time. He, however, thought it meant she was angry and obviously at him and she wasn't going to let him in on the secret that she wasn't, not yet at least.
 
It was empowering, seeing such a strong being as Sesshoumaru squirming like a worm on a hook. The longer she watched him the more difficult it became to hold back a smile, the urge to laugh growing stronger by the second. Really, could he not think of anything to say or do? Did the word `sorry' not exist in his vocabulary? Even toddlers knew to say sorry when you upset someone. Did he somehow miss that day of demonic preschool?
 
-
 
He was trying to find any possible way around actual groveling, but after extensive thought it appeared he was screwed. He was going to have to apologize and hope and pray she would forgive him. Seeing that the color of the ring still hadn't shifted wasn't helping his mental situation. Her anger hadn't cooled and he found himself thankful that she couldn't subjugate him as she could the hanyou. From the way her shoulders were shaking with rage he imagined it would have been very bad.
 
The taiyoukai studied her shaking more closely, lifting a brow in question. Was she laughing behind that book? She was! She was holding back laughter! His eyes shot from the ring to her shaking shoulders and back in utter confusion. How could she be laughing if she was angry? Oh, his head was going to explode, he was sure of it.
 
“Kagome?” he asked, causing her to look up at him directly. “Are you laughing, Miko?”
 
She shook her head but moments later she lost the battle and giggles began to escape.
 
“What is it that you find so amusing?”
 
“You and your confusion,” she said in a matter of fact tone. He frowned and she laughed more. “You should know that your confusion is own fault.”
 
“My fault?” he asked incredulously.
 
Kagome glanced around, seeing that their audience was very focused on them, hanging on their every word. She sighed and stood, tossing her book to the ground. “Come with me,” she said softly, reaching for his hand and grinning from ear to ear when he took it and allowed her to lead him away from their group for a little privacy.
 
They walked side by side in silence for a while, their hands still clasped together. After a few minutes Kagome looked over at him. “You think they can still hear us?”
 
“Perhaps Jaken and the kit, but not the others,” he replied.
 
“This is good enough then.”
 
“Good, now could you please be so kind as to explain how this Sesshoumaru's confusion could possibly be my own fault.”
 
“It is,” she said with a grin, being purposefully vague.
 
“This Sesshoumaru is confused because you are absolutely and utterly confusing! One cannot follow your moods as they shift from moment to moment. You laugh when you are angry. You glower when happy. You are simply insane! Why this Sesshoumaru had to be attracted to the most complicated and befuddling woman on the planet I do not know, but what I do know is my confusion is most definitely not my fault,” he replied, his frustration getting the better of him as he lost his calm demeanor. “You are so confusing that not even magic can keep your mood straight!” he said heatedly, not even thinking about what he was admitting to with his words.
 
Kagome nodded. “Exactly.”
 
He studied her for a full minute in silence, expecting her to continue or somehow clarify her statement, but when she remained silent he sighed. “Please, Kagome, I have tried everything I can think of to help me to understand you. Must you be so obtuse at all times?”
 
Deciding he'd suffered enough, she began to explain herself. “Look, I'm a teenage girl. I'm going to be moody. I understand that you don't have a lot of experience with humans but you can't cheat your way through this. If you're truly interested in having some kind of relationship with me then you have to be ready to put in the effort.”
 
“Effort? Effort?” he almost yelled. “I have studied you ever since you first appeared in this era. I have watched and listened and tried to understand. You come from a time unknown to me and have strange customs and ways of speaking that are impossible to interpret. No, this Sesshoumaru does not have a great deal of experience with humans or females in general, but you are an entirely unique creature and no amount of previous knowledge would have helped me.”
 
“You… you've watched me since I first came here? But why?” she asked in awe.
 
“I do not know what it is about you, Kagome, that has drawn me to you but the pull is irresistible. You have always been a challenge, a puzzle that this Sesshoumaru must solve, but you are also so much more than that. You are beautiful and kind, caring beyond all reason. You see things so differently than I. You see a world I could not begin to imagine, possibilities never conceived. You are what I needed, what I was looking for; though until I saw you I had been unaware I was looking at all.
 
“You cannot begin to imagine how frustrating it has been, to watch you and wonder, to be wholly incapable of understanding you. I am more than willing to put in whatever effort is necessary and always have been. The problem is that my work reaps no rewards. I make no progress. I need help.”
 
Kagome smiled. “Help, huh?”