InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Café ❯ On the airplane to Costa Rica! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Wow! I must say I was surprised by the amount of reviews I got for just that first chapter! I thought it was rather boring seeing as it contained only Kagome's thoughts and nothing really happened in it. But seeing as I got four reviews already I decided to quickly write this second chapter. It contains three flashbacks which may be a little confusing but I hope you guys can make sense of it.
 
Moonlight Cafe
 
 
Chapter 2 - On the airplane to Costa Rica!
 
I sat back in my first class chair and stared out of the window at the foggy air outside wondering if I did the right thing. Hojo had been all for it and practically insisted that I go, but was it the right thing? I wondered. I sighed softly thinking back on the conversation I had with my dear friend Hojo.
 
----- Flashback 1 -----
 
“You should go! Your father is right it's the perfect opportunity! It won't cost you anything and you can experiment to find out what suits you best and gain experience! I really think you should go, what have you got to lose?” Dear Hojo, always so enthusiastic, always seeing the best in everything. “What about my own café here in Tokyo? I'm just about to close a deal with the real estate agent!” I tried to convince him why I shouldn't go. “There will be other deals, better deals” he said smiling.
 
I was still reluctant to go and he could obviously tell. “Why wouldn't you want to go? It's a great opportunity”, he said and I sighed “but what if I don't want to see my father?”
 
“Why wouldn't you wanna see him? He's your father!” Dear Hojo, always seeing the best. “Some father!” I huffed indignantly. “What where his crimes again?” he asked. “Aside from never being there and his infidelities?” I asked indignantly and slightly annoyed. “That's between your mother and him” he said and he was right.
 
“He never even called or wrote me a letter! I never even got a present for my birthday!” I retaliated. Hojo sighed “I guess that is a good reason, but maybe he wants to make up for lost time?” he offered. “By getting married to a 29 year old woman who could have been my sister?” I asked annoyed. Hojo chuckled “No silly, by asking you to help him out. Give him a chance”
 
“Fine” I muttered knowing I could never win. “Fine I'll give him a chance. I'll go to Costa Rica”.
 
----- End Flashback 1 -----
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Due to the extremely bad weather in San José we are currently unable to land this airplane”. The captains statement was followed by a series of annoyed and tired sighs and grunts from the passengers.
 
“We have enough fuel to circle the area for two hours, but if the weather conditions do not improve we will be forced to relocate to Liberia airport, refuel and try our luck again”. More sighs and grunts from the passengers signifying their sinking hearts.
 
Perhaps this was a sign? Would that mean then that this entire trip would be a disaster? I looked around at all the other passengers and wondered if they were having doubts about their travel plans as well. I sighed deeply. What was I doing? I should be in Tokyo working, having fun with my friends and dealing with my estate agent. Not stuck in a plane on my way to Costa Rica, to see my long lost father and meet his new wife. This is ridiculous.
 
I leaned back in my luxurious chair and closed my eyes wondering why I had allowed myself to be pushed into this. First Hojo… My boss and then my mother… they had all wanted me to go on this stupid trip.
 
 
----- Flashback 2 -----
 
“Takahashi-san? Can I talk to you for a moment?” I can't believe I'm doing this. How can I ask for an undefined amount of time off! No way will he allow me to go! No way! My thoughts were interrupted by the deep authoritive voice of my boss. “Of course Higurashi-san. Please have a seat” he indicated a free chair across from him and I sat down nervously placing my hands in my lap. “What can I help you with?”
 
I took a deep calming breath before answering “Well… Takahashi-san… I was just sort of wondering…” I started nervously. I really didn't want to be doing this. “Well… You see… My father called me the other day”. Takahashi-san's eyes widened slightly as he eagerly interrupted me “Higurashi-san called you did he? That's wonderful darling! It's been so long since I heard from him! How is he?”
 
I smiled weakly “he's okay. He got remarried last month” I told him. Mister Takahashi and my father had always been good friends, even went to university together. “Oh how wonderful!” I could see his eyes light up with happiness for his friend and smiled kindly. Though I didn't understand what was so wonderful about my father getting remarried. Especially since he did it behind my back! With a 29 year old woman I never even met! “Yes wonderful” I said not very convincingly.
 
“He asked me to come over to Costa Rica to meet his new wife” I decided to just blurt it out. What did I have to lose anyway… only my job right? I watched mister Takahashi trying to gauche his reaction, something that proved to be rather difficult. “Well, do you want to go?” he asked me. NOOO!!! I screamed in my head. I didn't want to go. I wanted a good enough reason NOT to go! However, that's not what I answered. Instead I answered “Only if it's possible. I mean if you could miss me for a while?”
 
He looked at me as he cupped his chin in thought. “How long will you be staying?” he asked me. I swallowed nervously. I had no idea! “I'm not sure Takahashi-san”. Please tell me I can't go! Please tell me it's too busy for me to leave now! Please! I begged in my mind. But his smile told me I wouldn't be so lucky. “Take all the time you need Higurashi-san!” he said happily and I sighed exasperatedly. Damn it.
 
“Thank you Takahashi-san! This really means a lot to me!” I told him kindly as I gave him a fake smile. I got up from my seat, shook his hand and left his office to collect my stuff.
 
----- End Flashback 2 -----
 
Finally almost two hours later, when the bad weather magically cleared, the plane was able to land on San José airport. I followed my fellow passengers to the luggage hall and waited for my luggage.
 
----- Flashback 3 -----
 
I sipped my coffee slowly, using the steamy cup to hide from my mother. I had invited her for a cup of coffee in my favorite cafe so I could tell her about dad. But now that she sat opposite me stirring her coffee I wasn't sure if this was such a good idea. How would she react? I wondered. He had betrayed and left her! Now I would run to him and his new wife? Surely she wouldn't agree.
 
Perhaps I should just stay home after all. Screw Hojo and Takahashi-san! What did they know anyway. “Sweetheart? What ails you so?” my mother's soft, concerned voice brought me out of my thoughts and I flicked my eyes to hers instantly. I knew I had to tell her something. She was always on to me.
 
I sighed softly deciding that I would tell her about fathers new wife and his proposal. Then depending on her reaction I would either go to Costa Rica, or stay here. I nodded to myself, set my coffee cup down and started my story.
“Father called me”, I started keeping a close eye on my mother to gauche her reaction to my mentioning him. “Oh?” was all she asked as her eyes widened only slightly in what appeared to be amazement. “What did he want?”
 
“Well… he told me he got remarried last month”. I said slowly, carefully taking in her further widening eyes. Then she suddenly smiled. “Did he now, that's good”, she said, but she didn't convince me. Through her smile I could see the sadness. What amazed me however is the fact that she wasn't even angry at him. She was just saddened. Mother had really loved him, that much was obvious.
 
“There is more though isn't there?” she asked softly and I nodded, running my finger over the rim of my coffee cup absently. “Yes there is. He asked me to help him start a cafe”, I told her nervously. Her reaction to that statement however confused me. Instead of anger or at least apprehension mother seemed delighted.
 
“Oh how wonderful!” she squealed, her smile broadening and lighting her eyes. This indicated that she truly was delighted. “You'll finally get to spend time with him! You'll finally be able to build up a true father-daughter relationship!” she beamed.
 
I was shocked into silence. My eyes widened in disbelief. This was not at all the reaction I had expected. I closed my gaping mouth with a soft snap to further inform her of the situation. “But mom, that means going to Costa Rica! You'll be here on your own!”
 
“Oh don't worry about me. I'll be fine! I have grandpa and your dear friend Hojo to look after me”, she said.
 
I believe I looked disappointed for she continued her kind words. “Sweetheart, this is your dream. Plus you'll finally be able to spend time with your father”.
 
“What if I don't want to!” I countered annoyed. “He left us!” Mother just smiled and placed her hand over my own. “Maybe this is his way to make amends. To try and gain your forgiveness. Give him that chance sweetheart”, she reasoned.
 
I sighed at the look in her eyes and her calming touch knowing I could not defy this kind hearted woman. So I nodded my head as I answered her. “Okay mom. Maybe you're right. I'll go”. She smiled and nodded squeezing my hand reassuringly. “It'll be a wonderful experience”, she said. “And who knows! You might even find love!” She smiled mischievously at me. “MOM!” I hissed as I waved the waitress over to ask for the bill. Mother chuckled happily.
 
----- End Flashback 3 -----
 
When I finally gather my luggage and follow the steady throng of trolleys to the `arrivals' hall I see no one that resembles my father. `He said he'd pick me up. Maybe he went for a cup of coffee while he waited?' I wonder as I find a quiet spot to sit and wait for him to show up.
 
----------
 
A/N: Again this chapter isn't all that spectacular but I promise you, next chapter we'll get to meet Kagome's father and his new wife Kikyou -+-shivers-+- I just can't stand that bitch lol. Please read and review and let me know what you guys think :)
 
-- Kiara --