InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than You and I Should ❯ What's Wrong with Her? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Even if I want to, I don't own Inuyasha or its characters. And I don't have any profit from this story. The only thing I get is extreme satisfaction.
 
 
Hey! If you are reading this means you're interested in my story, which I am grateful for. And I would be more grateful if you would continue reading. I don't require you guys to review, but if you want, then that would be well appreciated. I apologize in advance for any mistakes in spelling or in grammar that I could possibly commit in my stories. I would also like to let you know that if the words, scenes, or the plot of my stories are, in one way or another, similar to yours or any of those that you have already read, it was purely coincidence. Oh well, guess that summarizes it all. Have a good day; because life is wonderful. I hope it always is. But then again, I doubted it.
 
 
 
Chapter 1 What's Wrong with her?
 
(Inuyasha)
 
“What the hell is wrong with her?” I asked myself.
I woke up early and was in my study when the thought occurred to me again. Just like yesterday, and the other day. Kagome, my best friend for so many years have been very quiet and reserved these past few days. Usually, she would call me almost every hour of every day. I rather like it. Her voice is enough to make me calm; her laugh makes me want to think the world is just so perfect, and her face makes me forget the entire problems I have at work. We decided that she should spend as at least one night a week at my house and me in hers. This is a routine that we followed since college and has never been broken without an excusable reason. Last night she was suppose to come over but eventually canceled. I've been very busy and as much as I hate it, I don't have the time to come over to her house. Two nights ago I invited her for dinner but she refused. How very odd; how very unlike her.
“Inuyasha! I'm cooking. Or are you going to eat at the office?” My friend Miroku asked from the doorway, a spatula in his hand. He stayed over for the night since we need to finish a presentation for next week. He and Sango, Kagome's girl friend is together. The four of us share an unbreakable bond, have become inseparable and have become almost sisters and brothers. Not to mention the additional figures in our group; Sesshomaru and Rin.
“I don't know if I'm going to work today.”
“Really? Interesting. And by the way, why hasn't Kagome come by? I need her help with my assets but she's not answering. Yesterday, Sango told me that you haven't come over at their house for the past few days. Is something wrong?
“Not that I'm aware of.”
“What do you mean?”
“Kagome won't speak to me. And she cancels all our meetings.”
What is that smell?
“How odd.”
“Exactly my point. Uh, Miroku?”
“Yes?'
“I believe you should get back to your eggs.”
“Oh damn!”
 
(Kagome)
 
It was a nice morning and I was having a good time, a really good time. And honestly speaking, it was probably the most wonderful day I have since God-knows-when. That's how fantastic the day is, at least for me. Thinking that maybe, someone out there, in the farthest corner of the world, is having the worst day of his or her life, I immediately stopped grinning like a fool.
 
 
(Inuyasha)
 
“What the hell is wrong with her?”
I repeated worriedly. I slammed the papers on the table and decided I've had enough. I have many things to do, being the president of the hotel I had inherited, but I 1cannot take for granted this anxiety. I poured myself a cup of coffee, and decided to see to my friend, when my phone rang. It was Sango.
“Inuyasha.”
A single word uttered with alarm and distress.
Oh my.
“How is she? What happened?” realizing that Kagome must have been in trouble or something.
“She's here at home....”
“But what?” knowing fully well that still, there's something not right.
“I think you should come here.”
I hung up and called my secretary.
“Cancel all my meetings for today.”
“But sir...”
“Miroku! My I'll be at Kagome's!” I shouted towards the kitchen.
I grabbed my coat and frantically walked out of the house.
 
 
(Kagome)
 
Trying not to feel so overjoyed, I again thought of this day; a day of peacefulness, of serenity, of tranquility, solitude and of so overwhelming calmness. After all, not everyone is given the opportunity to have the entire world only to her. Okay, so maybe not the entire Earth, but at least, I felt free.
I happily listed all the activities I have for the whole week. I finished all the tasks at work, filed a short leave, making me do everything, exactly everything I want. I can watch movies or a play, or buy books and groceries. I can also visit the nearby tourist spots since I don't have the luxury of time. Most importantly, I can sleep for endless hours, and no one, absolutely no one will be able to stop me. I grabbed my purse and keys before putting my jacket on. A smile glued to my face as I head towards the door when suddenly-
“Kagome, open the goddamned door!”
“What the hell?” I answered groggily.
A man with a loud voice, a terribly loud voice shattered my comfort zone. A man whom I'm going to kill right at this moment and make him regret he ever existed. That bastard.
 
 
“Kagome!!!” he shouted again.
I abruptly opened my eyes and surveyed the room. There was a pounding on the door and I resisted the urge to go back to sleep. After a moment of insistent yells, I went towards the door, and opened it, welcoming the man who shouted louder than any of the people I have ever met. I stretched my arms and yawned, trying to show him that I am not ready to be awakened yet. Which, he already knows, but he, being a stubborn and impatient bastard, still tries to forget that some people needs 10 hours of sleep. And I am one of them.
“It's a nice morning, isn't?” he said, a smirk on his face, knowing fully well that he has annoyed the hell out of me.
“Yeah, a few minutes ago.”
He frowned and looked at me with guilty eyes. He can be very edgy and easily irritated but his compassion and concern for me and our friends is incomparable. That is Inuyasha, my father, my brother, my protector, my best friend.
“I'm sorry,” he said and I can sense how guilty he must feel.
“Sango told me you haven't eaten since yesterday. I brought you breakfast.”
“Oh.” I hated it when I make him worry, but I also don't like to talk to him right now. I've been trying to avoid him these days so I won't be able to confront him but fate finally intervened.
“And for the shouting, well, I knew you wouldn't wake up that easily.”
True, war could probably broke out in front of the house I shared with my other friend, Sango and I wouldn't hear the noises at all.
I walked inside, still not saying anything as he came in and closed the door.
I opened the window, trying to invite the warmth of the morning into my room as he open the lid of my favorite Chinese food box and afterwards, handed it to me.
I didn't realize how hungry I was until I finally devour myself to the chow.
Inuyasha was observing my actions attentively. I finished eating immediately and he handed me a glass of water.
“What have you been doing these days? Has my father been very demanding?”
“No, of course he's not.”
I work for Inuyasha's father as their company's legal counsel. Thanks to my best friend's earlier recommendation, and his father's approval in my skills, I was able to have a decent job immediately after graduation. It has been 5 years since I first worked for their company and I can honestly say that Inuyasha's father, Mr. Inutashio was everything an employee could ever dream of.
“Not hungry. Then what bothers you lately?” he pursued.
He knows that the only reasons why I fail to take my meals are if 1) I'm so busy I couldn't even notice when night changes to day, 2) there's no food to eat (which doesn't happen often since, as you can see, I have providers and 3) if there is something in my mind far more important than food, which needs pondering about.
“Nothing.” God, I wish he would stop asking. Normally, I would tell him all of my thoughts. How I hate ice cream companies for making their packages less small, how I hate my coworker who doesn't know the word independence, and how I sometimes hate my love life for being so damn prosperous. But this issue that's been bothering me these past few days is something I'm embarrassed to share with him.
“Kagome…”
There is a trace of warning in his voice and I tried to keep myself in control.
“Really, I'm fine,” giving no further explanation
“If you, being a good lawyer, can deceive others Kagome, you should know better that you can't fool me. I know you very well.”
“I know.” I agreed.
“So, are you going to be honest now?”
I hesitated. “I'm not so sure about that.”
He let out a growl.
“Damn! Since when did you become so secretive huh?”
“Uh, now.” I said, stupidly.
He exhaled deeply as he massaged his temples. This has become a habit of his when angry and I know that his patience is already evaporating.
I fixed my eyes on my hands as he tried to regain his calmness, and then decided to use the opportunity to wash my face and change my clothes.
As I brush my teeth, I began to think about this problem I have at hand. He's leaving me. I hate it when this thought occurs to me. Maybe because I'm afraid, not ready to live without him. His previous lover, I forgot her name, has been a threat to us before. He unintentionally took me for granted and had given me little time. Yes, he comes over and calls me every now and then but how can I be happy if all he ever talks about is her. I pushed the thought out of my mind. Afterwards, as I closed the bathroom door, I saw that he already threw the box of food I ate.
I saw him sitting on the edge of my bed. He glanced up and I sat beside him. After a long moment of silence,
“I'm sorry, for er, making you angry.” I started.
“I just want you to tell me why. Is it me? You can avoid me, not that I suggest you to do that, but at least take care of yourself.
I ignored him.
“I demand an answer so I know what . Did I do something wrong?”
Yes! “No. I can handle it, really.”
“Oh for the love of God, stop it!” His tone was deadly.
When I remained quiet, he continued.
“I want to help you. I'm worried as hell here and you're trying to be stubborn. It doesn't help much. And you're lying about your condition. It's just so clear you're not fine. You're not eating, not returning my calls; you don't even talk to Sango, or Miroku.”
I couldn't hold on any longer. I cannot control the burst of emotions trying to erupt in my heart. I never lied to him. I have always been truthful. I have always told him everything. Okay, so maybe not everything. Not this feeling I've been trying to control. Not this love I've been trying to run from. Unfortunately, I wasn't successful.
It was you who lied!
“I'm not lying! Don't equate me to you!” I yelled, matching my voice with his.
“What the hell does that mean?!”, confusion evident in his face.
“How could you try to hide something like that from me?” I tried so hard to stop my tears from falling.
“What? I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about!
“Don't you provoke me a challenge Inuyasha. I thought you don't want to pursue your interest on Kikyou. I thought you don't want her attitude and she makes you uncomfortable. You don't want her; you told me so, and I believed it. How come you've been dating her? Don't you try to deny. Don't.”
I watch his reaction as realization hit him. He looked surprise and yet, there was an unusual amusement in his eyes which irritated me more than I already am.
“I-I don't have any intention of denying. It was nothing, okay?”
“That is exactly the reason why you should have told me; because it was irrelevant. You would lie for something insignificant? And for God's sake I'm your best friend! Or have you forgotten that? I don't know for you, but though I'm damn busy I don't think I would forget something like that, Inuyasha.”
“Of course I didn't. Don't you ever think like that. Listen, I'm sorry, for not telling you. It's not like I'm going to marry her. I didn't think you would be interested at all. And by the way, I believe what I did that wasn't a lie.”
Damn your pride. Me? Not interested? Oh please, give me a break. How can a best friend not be interested? I have always been interested in everything he's involved in, though it may be with the matters of his hotel, which, I know nothing about.
“Maybe you didn't, but you didn't tell me the truth either.” I softly said with mixed emotions that I can hardly identify.
And with that, I walked away.
 
 
Author's Note: There you go. Please review. I was just kidding when I said don't bother. Hehe. Have a nice, happy day!!